Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

great place!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable! My co-workers are really great people and wonderful to work with. Starbucks partners also get stock grants, and discounts on stocks. Tuition and book reimbursement Part-time and full time employees are also eligible for health benefits after 3 months. over all just a really great company Starbucks gives you many great opportunity, including general skills development such as customer service, people skills and time management.
Pros
free drinks, lots of discounts and perks
Cons
weird hours - could sometimes start work at 5AM
A good place to work
Cashier duties (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 18, 2015
Over all they were relatively flexible when it came to the schedule. They were very customer orientated and a pleasure to work for. We also got a .25 cent raise every year if standards of work were met.
The people were... very negative. But the company was good
Closing Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 27, 2016
In truth I wouldn't recommend working for the location I was employed at.

I worked very hard and was promoted within 6 months, at the recommendation of the regional manager.
That said, the store manager didn't know how to manage people and he allowed the other supervisors to run amok. This lead to week-long tantrums from some of them, and the assistant store manager hated me and the store manager because she felt men had no place in her cafe (despite it being the male managers cafe, not hers?)

There were so many petty grievances and days where the staff and manager/supervisors wouldn't talk to each other that the cafe was a train wreck.

While I learned many skills there, both personal and dealing with everything for the happiest to the most irate customer, to scheduling and placing orders, I would never work at that location again.
Flexible work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OntarioOctober 5, 2015
The company has changed significantly since I began my journey several years ago, one thing that has not changed is the flexible work schedule (very accommodating for those attending post secondary) good benefits and the company's encouragement to slow down and get to know the customers. The hardest part of the job would be the company's new directive to obtain obscenely high food sales and the pressure that comes down from upper management. I've been with this place for a long time and the experience overall has been positive, the most enjoyable part of the job would be the amazing co-workers that I've had the opportunity to work alongside and the lasting friendships I've made. The customers are also a highlight, I have met people from all walks of life, of course I have come across some awful individuals (it is customer service after all) but the majority of people are pleasant and polite. This job has taught me key leadership skills and the ability to effectively interact with the general public.
Pros
Free weekly coffee mark-outs, benefits, stock options, flexible work schedules
Cons
Periods of high volume which can result in stressful situations, pay is not reflective of the work load nor the education that the collective staff posses, required to work weekends and holidays.
Overall good job.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
My review on the company is sort of biased. I've loved the idea of working at Starbucks since I was 12-13. Of course, being that age, I couldn't necessarily work there. When I got a call back when I turned 16 I was honestly thrilled. Our manager at the time Vik, was great. He wrote me a personal development plan so the day I turned 18 if I was still with the company I would be shift manager or assistant manager. We currently have a new manager Kamilah and she isn't the most professional. She mostly just sits in the back room. So I'm leaving, which makes me sad but it is what it is. At the end of the day, Starbucks is a great company, but the management just isn't for me. Now it is understandable that you aren't going to always love your boss, but it became a very cliquey workplace and extremely unprofessional. I love the majority of my co-workers and it's a fun place to work. I just need to branch out.
Pros
Lots of benefits, working with people all day, good break times, better then usual pay.
Cons
A "mean-girl" environment, lots of restrictions about uniform, management wasn't the best.
Fun work environment but poor compensation
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABOctober 19, 2015
Fun place to work where partners became good friends. All about the customer experience and creating a second home feel for every customer. For a company that stresses that they "love" there employees, I felt we were neglected and asked too much of without considering store differences. Within a year's time we had to add about 4 BIG new things to our store with little time to adapt before a new one came in.
All in all it's a fun place to work. But it's a lot of hard work with what i feel is not enough compensation.
Pros
Unlimited free beverages while working
Cons
Lots of responsibility without equal compensation
Amazing experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 12, 2016
I loved working at Starbucks. The training was great, although there was a small learning curve to remember all of the products. I considered this to be hardest. Once I did, I enjoyed the customer service focused approach. The values of the company were very much in line with my own. Creating the drinks appealed to my artistic side, and I enjoyed developing strong relationships with the customer which made the business side of things.

I would definitely work for this company again.
Pros
Great training, good company values, great products
Cons
Busy Lineups, Customers Can Be Demanding
co workers are nice but the management lacked organization
Barista - Prepares multiple drinks (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 24, 2016
left due to poor management but the company was fun to work for while it lasted. was never properly trained WHICH MADE WORK DIFFICULT
Great workplace, Friendly people, Long lasting friends.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 20, 2016
I would come in, and be really excited to see all the other colleagues, which were more like friends then coworkers. You would learn new drinks, new techniques to make your job easier and serve people faster. Most people would find the multitasking and making drinks and putting people through being hard but its actually really easy when you get a good flow to the way you do it. Best part about the job is all the great people you get to know and people who become your regular customers and best friends.
Pros
Free drinks, 30 percent discount
Cons
Exciting, fast pace environment to work in with high standards and expectations
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 7, 2016
I have worked with Starbucks Corporation for several years now and have enjoyed it very much. I have learned that customer service is where I need to be. Its a great place to expect challenges and excitement. Starbucks withholds a very high standard with their employees, the dress code is to always be professional, the attitude and behaviors are to be genuine and respectful at all times.

With these standards you get to work with great people who are always there to help and give support. There are some difficult parts to this job, one that comes to mind first is dealing with all the different types of personalities and preferences customers have. Being able to handle and deal with all types of people is a required skill, ironically the most enjoyable (for me) part of this job is the people. The customers are number one and making sure they always leave satisfied gives me great pleasure in my job.
You get to meet a lot of people.
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
Amongst regulars you will be able to build unique relationships built around positivity as well as genuine interest. These are the best benefits at working at a place such as Starbucks.
The staff is great, Management not so great
Barista (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 1, 2015
I would wake up at 3am get to work for 4;15am, set up the pastry case, brew coffee, take out the patio, unload boxes, do a garbage run, help customers and so on. The benefits were incredible but when I went to transfer the Management wouldn't let me. So I quit
Pros
free drinks on shift
Cons
High calorie items and prices were through the roof
fun, interactive and busy place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
Shifts starting at 5am Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays.
opening the store by setting up displays and merchandise, stocking food display cases and calibrating espresso machines.
As management, I would be responsible for counting all safes/tills, preparing and taking deposits to bank, receiving change orders, and managing inventory.

Management is great! We work as a cohesive team.
Co-workers are very hard working, love the job and are very customer driven.

Hardest part of the job is being on top of your toes in regards to proper deployment and delegating to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently during busy times.

Most enjoyable part of my day is getting to interact with our regular customers, and meeting new people.
Pros
benefits for even par time em ployees
Cons
i'm always over caffeinated!
Great people, bad management.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 17, 2016
great job benefits, however there is little support and a lot of tasks to complete all at once. the job is not worth the pay.
Pros
free drinks and coffee
Cons
no appreciation or support, low pay.
people management needs to improve
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 22, 2016
At Starbucks the only thing I can comment is the people who work in the company specially the management people. People management at Starbucks needs to Improve
Fast-paced and customer service oriented environment
Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work involved rotating positions on the floor and dealing with all kinds of customers. I learned that in order to be successful at this job you must be very flexible and have the ability to give excellent customer service while simultaneously doing behind the counter work. My co-workers were my favourite thing about the job as everyone was very welcoming and I made life-long friends. The most difficult part of the job was closing shifts where baristas were expected to complete cleaning tasks & duties, as well as provide outstanding customer service. Overall, if you are a flexible and versatile person who has excellent customer service skills, a job at Starbucks would be a good fit for you.
Unrealistic expectations for a minimum wage position
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Working at Starbucks was by far the worst job experience I have ever encountered. The over sized company merely thinks of you as a number in their system as opposed to the actual human being that you are, creating an unsettling and unwelcoming environment in the workplace. Supervisors were trained to put down their co-workers instead of help them succeed and move forward in the workplace.
Pros
Free beverages with every break
Cons
Unrealistic expectations and an unhappy work environment
Good intermediate job, long unreasonable hours and no communication from management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 22, 2015
Worked as a shift supervisor for 2 years and was miserable. The store could not afford an assistant manager so I was tasked with all the duties but a mere $1 pay raise. My responsibilities crept up %300 as I was in charge of : All store ordering, creating schedule, safe and cash counts as well as bank deposits, cleaning, serving customers, responding to emails, phone calls and inquires, running breaks and getting yelled at by angry customers while supervising a team of up to 7 people and serving upwards of 400 customers in a 4 hour period. The shifts were 5am one day and 11am the next making it very difficult to adjust to the times and my manager called in sick %80 of the time and provided no extra workers when promotions doubled our customer counts. Over worked and under paid , I have nothing good to say about Starbucks.
Pros
Free coffee, some nice customers
Cons
angry customers, poor management / communication, impossible promotions with no increased staff.
Much like a starter home.
Sr.Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DurhamApril 25, 2015
Explanation: The job has many benefits if you use it as a stepping stone. Promotion from within is very hard as they like to hire talent from outside the company. Management like to use write-ups as threats and if you do not work the schedule days they need you , they play with your hours and force you into working what they want. The regular customers make the job amazing, so learn while you earn but use the job as a stepping stone to another company.
Pros
Coffee Mark-out and Stock options plus benefits to partimers.
Cons
Managers do not work the floor much but take and get the credit for reaching targets.
In charge of two or more staff (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, abJuly 9, 2015
A typical day is ensuring product is stocked, perfect beverages are made and serving awesome customers. I learned a lot from this job in the form of dealing with customers. Even if it is something small just apologize and come up with a solution. They just want to know that you are listening and you truly want to make it right and make them happy. The management is awesome. They make sure that they tell you when you are doing a good job and if there are corrections that need to be made they will sit down with you and talk to you like you are a human being. The co-workers are the best! You are like a small family. You care so much for each other and watch out for each other. The hardest part is making every customer happy because there are just some people that are having a bad day that you just can't make happy but you do your best and that is all that you can do. I enjoyed getting to know a bunch of people on a personal level, co-workers and customers combined. It is nice when you are able to have that connection with people.
Pros
Benefits, stocks, free products
Cons
Lots of standing