Starbucks

6.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to connect with customers and have a lot of fun
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 18, 2015
Pros: Free drinks! (5 a shift), tips and really nice regulars
Cons: Tiring shifts, smelling like coffee, making frappuchinos
Working at Starbucks gives you the benefit of working in a responsible, friendly environment with the bonus of having the knowledge of how to make those wild drinks people drink every day. My favorite part of my job was being able to make a difference in someone's day, either by serving them their favorite drink or just by offering a smile. Working here taught me how to work under pressure and how to connect with others. The hardest part about Starbucks is the pace you have to work at to be able to succeed. Long lines and complicated drink orders, along with difficult customers can be very stressful but learning to trust your team makes it easier. And the accomplishment of getting through a rush helps you learn each time.
Great Baristas
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioMay 13, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, Weekly markets, benefits
Cons: Particular customers, high speed atmosphere
Starbucks is a wonderful company, who tends to care deeply about their staff from a higher up level. They provide excellent benefits, perks, and hours. From the level of a shift or barista, the immediate management never seems to fully grasp their store, and tends to over look the needs of their staff.
Enjoyed the company itself, just not the store I was at
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMay 12, 2015
Management and supervisors were great, however I did not feel safe at the location of the store and experienced some negativity from other employees.
Great Place to work
Barista (Former Employee), OkotoksMay 12, 2015
It was a great place to work. The staff and management was very friendly. It was also great way to meet new people and get to know the customers as well.
Fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Pickering, ONMay 11, 2015
Pros: friendly people
Cons: Long days
Would come into work in the morning and the smell of coffee was the first thing I smelt. I was doing cash and was dealing first with the people who came in through the doors. It was always a positive experience meeting new people and seeing different smiles everyday. It made my day better even though it felt like the day was going by really slow.
WAS the Best Place to Work
On-Floor Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 7, 2015
Pros: Coffee Mark-out and Stock options plus benefits and Tuition Rembursiment
Cons: Went from "Mom and Pop Family" Feeling Store to Corporate
- Enjoy working in a team setting
- Fast paced, with regular customers returning daily, made it enjoyable and personal
- I worked with a team that were always on time, caring, helpful and willing to help other team members when needed
- I got along get with my manager, and respected that he/she went around my school schedule
- The most enjoyable part of this job was that it was fast paced, and in a friendly, evolving environment.
- I enhanced my customer service skills in the communication area, and adapted new skills that were recommend for the job ex; making lattes, preparing food etc.
Fun and mentally/physically demanding job
Barista (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 6, 2015
Pros: free drinks and 1lb of coffee or tea each week
Cons: early and long hours
Though my time at Starbucks was a brief eight-months, I did enjoy it at times. I enjoy cooking, so making elaborate hot and cold drinks was similar. Co-workers were mostly younger than me and it made me feel uncomfortable.
fast-paced, fun atmosphere, great customers, great experience
Shift Supervisor, Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Merritt, BCMay 6, 2015
Pros: free drinks during breaks on shift, great benefits, fun atmosphere.
great place to have new experiences and challenge yourself. learnt how to manage time, people, and money as well as have a fun and organized atmosphere while on shift as a shift supervisor. As a barista, we learn how to create delicious beverages as well as develop a greater knowledge about our coffee and tea world, and we are able to make great connections with our customers to ensure they feel as though starbucks is their second home. As a barista trainer, I was able to encourage new employees to feel excited about the job they were doing as they developed their coffee knowledge and learnt how to work in a fast-paced environment. its a great place to make new friends inside the staff and with our customers, and you learn something new every day.
Warm and friendly enviroment
Manager and barista (Former Employee), Stony Plain, ABMay 5, 2015
Offer a drink to the customers in the way they like it, creates a nice warm relationship in the same way with co-workers.
The hardest but no challenging part of the job is to keep food safety standards, I mean it because sometimes syrups we use are a little messy.
An atmosphere that is a home away from home
BARISTA (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: free drinks during your shift & 30% when you're not
Cons: waking up extremely early
Your co-workers are called "partners" for a reason. They are all genuinely nice people who help you when you need it. As a barista, you create a relationship with the people you serve. Even though you are serving the coffee, that isn't just a cup of coffee to them. It is your job to make sure that they start their day off on the right foot.

The benefits are amazing. Starbucks has insurance benefits and even Student Reimbursement benefits for students. The hardest part of the job is waking up at 4am for opening shifts.
Starbucks was the best job I ever had. The people were great and it was a very positive workplace.
Barista (Former Employee), Strathmore, ABMay 4, 2015
Starbucks was an amazing job, and provided many benefits. The people I worked with were amazing and the variety of beverages were delicious and interesting.
Creative and fast paced environment
Cashier/ sales associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: Free food in lunch room, great staff to work with, and great location
Cons: They closed down
- Enjoy working in a team setting
- The team I worked with were always on time, caring, helpful and willing to help other team members when needed
Great place to work, better than other coffee shops
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great environment and daily routine
Cons: Not always consistent in types of customers or rush times
Starbucks is a great place to work for people who like coffee or not! The stores always look good and are held to high standards. The routines on a daily basis are well structured and well looked after. The company itself is very reliable and makes sure that every barista and person in management is aware of their responsibilities and opportunities in the company.
Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMay 3, 2015
Working as a Barista is a incredible opportunity, you learn how to micro manage every little detail while working. hardest part of the job is learning all the combinations of the drinks. everyday was enjoyable there was not a specific part. co-workers and management are the friendliest people you will have the chance to meet
starbucks
hard work
fast learning
Great
certified barista (Current Employee), London, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: Good workmates, discount, shares in the company, benefits
Cons: On feet all day
Amazing place to work. Staff are so friendly and understanding. Management is very professional but also fun. The best job I have worked for.
Productive and Fun environment to work in.
barista (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 30, 2015
Working at Starbucks grew me more in customer service. It taught me how to deal with various people and situations. Starbucks was not only a job but like a second home. The management and co-workers there were super supportive and helpful.
Starbucks is mostly great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: free beverages, free coffee beans, free tea markout, great discounts
Cons: some management within kitchener
Starbucks is a wonderful place for a student or young adult looking to develope their customer skills. Partners work in a faced paced environment, handle cash and are trusted to do daily and weekly tasks of their own. Starbucks offers great benefits for even part-timers, stocks that build up cash flow, partner beverages on every break, 30% off partner discount on all merchendise, and partner markouts (one free pound of coffee or tea).

The only bad thing I could even possibly say about this company is that unfortunately I had a manager who bullied her employees and has fired empolyees for unjust reasons but Starbucks has great Human Resources and the issues will be resolved.
Great Atmosphere, Great Opportunities
Supervisor (Former Employee), Montreal, QuebecApril 29, 2015
Pros: Cheap/Free Starbucks
Cons: Clopens (working a close and then an open)
It's an amazing place to work and is very flexible, so is always an option.

The schedules can be a little bit extreme and your work experience will depend almost entirely on how involved your manager happens to be. Different stores have different attitudes, but as a partner, you can switch fairly easily if you find the one you're at isn't working out.

The only downside would really be that there isn't much of an infrastructure for managers being reined in, and sometimes they really need to be reviewed.
Great people with great benefits, however very stressful.
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: Free Drinks, Great Benefits
Cons: Rude Customers
It was a great first job. I had an amazing team and an awesome boss. It ranged from being extremely stressful to absolute boredom depending on the time that was worked. My tasks for the day would switch daily, from taking orders, to making drinks, to cleaning. The hardest part was being understaffed during a busy time, which unfortunately happened quite often. The best part would have to be the friends that I made there.
Revenue