Starbucks

hard work
fast learning
Great
certified barista (Current Employee), London, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: Good workmates, discount, shares in the company, benefits
Cons: On feet all day
Amazing place to work. Staff are so friendly and understanding. Management is very professional but also fun. The best job I have worked for.
Productive and Fun environment to work in.
barista (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 30, 2015
Working at Starbucks grew me more in customer service. It taught me how to deal with various people and situations. Starbucks was not only a job but like a second home. The management and co-workers there were super supportive and helpful.
Starbucks is mostly great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: free beverages, free coffee beans, free tea markout, great discounts
Cons: some management within kitchener
Starbucks is a wonderful place for a student or young adult looking to develope their customer skills. Partners work in a faced paced environment, handle cash and are trusted to do daily and weekly tasks of their own. Starbucks offers great benefits for even part-timers, stocks that build up cash flow, partner beverages on every break, 30% off partner discount on all merchendise, and partner markouts (one free pound of coffee or tea).

The only bad thing I could even possibly say about this company is that unfortunately I had a manager who bullied her employees and has fired empolyees for unjust reasons but Starbucks has great Human Resources and the issues will be resolved.
Great Atmosphere, Great Opportunities
Supervisor (Former Employee), Montreal, QuebecApril 29, 2015
Pros: Cheap/Free Starbucks
Cons: Clopens (working a close and then an open)
It's an amazing place to work and is very flexible, so is always an option.

The schedules can be a little bit extreme and your work experience will depend almost entirely on how involved your manager happens to be. Different stores have different attitudes, but as a partner, you can switch fairly easily if you find the one you're at isn't working out.

The only downside would really be that there isn't much of an infrastructure for managers being reined in, and sometimes they really need to be reviewed.
Great people with great benefits, however very stressful.
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: Free Drinks, Great Benefits
Cons: Rude Customers
It was a great first job. I had an amazing team and an awesome boss. It ranged from being extremely stressful to absolute boredom depending on the time that was worked. My tasks for the day would switch daily, from taking orders, to making drinks, to cleaning. The hardest part was being understaffed during a busy time, which unfortunately happened quite often. The best part would have to be the friends that I made there.
Great place to work. Had problems with the company.
Barista (Former Employee), Oakville, ONApril 26, 2015
Working at starbucks was a great job, it had many benefits and perks. However, the company tried to hard to make us make connections with customers. This made conversations forced and the company seem pretentious.
Much like a starter home.
Sr.Supervisor (Current Employee), DurhamApril 25, 2015
Pros: Coffee Mark-out and Stock options plus benefits to partimers.
Cons: Managers do not work the floor much but take and get the credit for reaching targets.
Explanation: The job has many benefits if you use it as a stepping stone. Promotion from within is very hard as they like to hire talent from outside the company. Management like to use write-ups as threats and if you do not work the schedule days they need you , they play with your hours and force you into working what they want. The regular customers make the job amazing, so learn while you earn but use the job as a stepping stone to another company.
Variety, able to work with many different people
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 24, 2015
Pros: Discount products, extended benefits
A typical day varied greatly, depending on the time and day of shift. My coworkers were great team players and we were always willing to help each other out. Management was accommodating and constantly helping me improve.
The hardest part of this job was serving customers who do not see baristas as people but this also allowed me to turn the interaction into something positive. By reaching out in a friendly manner to create an authentic interaction with customers I was able to improve someone's day and make them realize that people behind the counters were just that, people.
Fast and positive work environment.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee), Nanaimo BC.April 22, 2015
Pros: Learning the menu front to back.
Cons: Too much coffee in a day.
For the short while I was working with starbucks, I was able to learn more about the company and how to work steadily through long yet fast paced shifts. Working in a Target owned starbucks, you only work with 1-3 people at a time leaving you to work independently most days which has helped me to develop more confidence in my work productivity.
Good intermediate job, long unreasonable hours and no communication from management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 22, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, some nice customers
Cons: angry customers, poor management / communication, impossible promotions with no increased staff.
Worked as a shift supervisor for 2 years and was miserable. The store could not afford an assistant manager so I was tasked with all the duties but a mere $1 pay raise. My responsibilities crept up %300 as I was in charge of : All store ordering, creating schedule, safe and cash counts as well as bank deposits, cleaning, serving customers, responding to emails, phone calls and inquires, running breaks and getting yelled at by angry customers while supervising a team of up to 7 people and serving upwards of 400 customers in a 4 hour period. The shifts were 5am one day and 11am the next making it very difficult to adjust to the times and my manager called in sick %80 of the time and provided no extra workers when promotions doubled our customer counts. Over worked and under paid , I have nothing good to say about Starbucks.
Fun working place.
Barista (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABApril 22, 2015
The staff were amazing, the managers were always there to help you and I quite enjoyed the location of the store. Its was like one big family and I wish I had never left.
Fun job, although its always busy
Shift Barista Supervisor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2015
Pros: free drink
Cons: short hours
My schedule always starts at 4 pm, typical rush hour. In this job you'll learn how to balance your time, doing this at the same time without even noticing it.
Productive and Enjoyable
Barista (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONApril 17, 2015
Typically I would stay at cash taking orders. I would make drinks often, and learned to handle large orders at once and to be quick and efficient. Management taught me to handle rushes as well as keeping the customers happy. I got along with all my co-workers as we depended on each other to run efficiently. The most enjoyable part of the job was the connection I develop with customers. The hardest part of the job would be the constant standing as well as the heavy lifting.
My life at Strabucks
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2015
Pros: free pound of coffe a week, benefits, discount on all merchdise
Cons: long hours, work more hours then paid for, didnt agree with all there policies and prcedures.
Going into my job everyday was always enjoyable. Getting to interact with different people everyday and learning more about the regulars that frequented my location each day. My job allowed me to really interact with people on more than just a " here's your coffee have a great day" moment. I enjoyed creating inspired moments in each person days starting with a delicious cup of coffee.. The community work I was able to do, donating coffee to local organization that were raising money to better the community. Seeing how appreciative everyone was to have me offer to help in anyway I could. Being able to donate left over food to those that were less fortunate. Yes the hours were long and you will always have people that want to make your day bad, but being able to work with my peers to overcome getting angry and dealing with situations in the best way possible.
CRew
Barista (Former Employee), torontoApril 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the staff we all got a long very well. the customers are great. it was one of my favourite jobs
I love working with people ,and a busy place I realy enjoy it
Shift supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 13, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
I love seeing my customers every single day , i enjoy talking to each and everyone of them they ,
Ill say the hardest part for me would be getting up 4am :( still not used to it but once i get to work love it :)
And i love my management team , and my team they are making my day with they are big smile :)))))
I dont no what els to say !
Fast past job with great customer service being the objective
Barista (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: Connecting with customers
Cons: Early start times
There were many different positions one may be placed on such as cashier, drive through,to various cleaning jobs. I learned how to work as a time under pressure as well as how to work independently. The hardest part of the job is remaining calm and focusing on the task at hand even when there is a huge rush of customers. The best part is connecting with those customers and ensuring their satisfaction with the company.
Starbucks
Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2015
Pros: Everything was amazing!
A typical day at work for Starbucks was mainly fast and slow past of customers coming in. It was a great experience working under the company, benefits were great, tips were high, and the customers were amazing. It was like a "home" type of feelings, a third place to be outside of work and home. I learned a lot during the time I was there, I would do it over again if I could. The management was amazing, my boss understood everything and worked around how I was doing. My co-workers were very friendly, I never had any problem with any of them. The hardest part of the job, I would say, is the weekend work and the early morning shifts. Since I live far away from family, I wasn't able to travel to see them at all. Other than the time, the experience was amazing. I would do it over again if I could.
fantastic environment fast paced and welcoming
Barista (Former Employee), mississauga, ONApril 8, 2015
serve customers as they come in, always welcoming and friendly while addressing customers concerns. employ Starbucks core values while on shift. Great company to work for while in school.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more