Starbucks Employee Reviews

productive, fun work environment, allowed me to progress
partner (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJune 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with the management, I had the opportunity to interact with managers, district managers and even the president of Starbucks and got the chance to see how they maintain the Starbucks culture.
Pros
great culture, work environment, create lasting friendships and relationships with partners and customers
Cons
I didn't find any cons
Very hit or miss in regards to it being worthwhile.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  AlbertaJune 13, 2016
I have been with the company for 4 years now and while I do like the job, there are some things I really dislike.
The people I work with are amazing and I've made some lifelong friendships during my time here.
Regular customers can be amazing but they can also be some of the worst people you'll come across.
I love what the company stood for when I first started but in the last few years it's changed. They say that they still want customers to be the sole focus but at a barista level, they're more concerned about the numbers than the customer connection.
Because of the endless customizations, Starbucks has created customers who have turned into monsters. I have been verbally attacked and abused by customers but we aren't allowed to do anything about it. For the pay, it's not worth it.
The management has been very hit or miss. I've had one amazing manager, one who ran a tight ship but treated us like garbage and one who let her shifts run the store for her without experience.
It's enough pay to scrape by on but not enough to get ahead in life, even with a prorated pay due to my years of experience.
Pros
Free coffee, awesome coworkers
Cons
monster customers, management
Positive work environment
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 12, 2016
very positive work environment with good management and lots of benefits such as free drinks while on shift and discounted prices
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
can be stressful
Productive and fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 10, 2016
the atmosphere at Starbucks is great - other baristas are friendly, the customers are often lively and happy. The job is fast paced, but not overwhelming. The treats are a perk as well.
Great Job, Learned a lot!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
Great culture, but difficult work/life balance. Wonderful to have worked for such a forward thinking company. The expectations for store managers seem very high. My peers and I would consistently work 50+hour weeks between floor time and admin time. There's more to life than that.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Long Hours
Great Training and Customer Service Experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 7, 2016
Starbucks is a great company if you want to learn to how to balance customer service as well as providing efficient services. They're training is reliable and professional. Probably the best part about working for them.
Pros
Training, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Physical Demand (ie. Opening, closing shifts)
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
As other minimum wage jobs, sometimes you don't always have the best co-workers but the corporation itself really takes care of its employees, makes sure they have continued training and lots of great benefits.
Productive and fun work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 7, 2016
I loved the staff and the ambiance at work, however I did not like the new manager that was a lot more strict and bossy than the previous one we had... He did not managed well the store and was not very welcoming. I still learned a lot from working there, they have a great clientele and the shifts were very variable which made the job different every day.
Pros
Easy to switch/give away/take shifts
Cons
Salary
n/a
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
had been in the company for almost 4 years and it has been great .
got the required training and employee treatment that any employee deserves
great benefits
Productive and fun workplace to work in
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  4 King West Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
Starbucks provides a very welcoming environment where baristas have the freedom to add their personality in the workplace and essentially allowing them to provide a personal individual service to the customers. This liberation is what makes the customers become part of Starbucks every day.
Pros
Free drinks
very fast pace and have to be a strong team player
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
very competitive pace and you have to be ready to give it 110% every shift. Depending on the store your skill set will be developed accordingly
Pros
always learning
Cons
not enough time to absorb sometimes
Great Job Opportunity
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
I work at Starbucks Part-time. I only have good thing to say about this job. My manager easily works around my school schedule. The work environment is friendly and easy to learn. Everyone is there for you if you need help. The most enjoyable part of this job is to talk with the customers and learn their names, so I can make their Starbucks experience even better.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
some heavy lifting
Great employees to work with, but management needs work
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Honestly, the job is rewarding and the people I work with are amazing. Everyone is willing to help one another out, however the management of the store needs improvement. Scheduling is not consistent, and the manager is not emotionally stable during stressful situations. May occasionally take out frustration on the staff working.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Manager
To inspire and nuture the human spirit - one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCJune 1, 2016
Working at Starbucks has been great in exposing me to diverse challenges and immense changes. Its culture is one that ensures a comfortable, clean working environment and an overall pleasant place for people to be. Wonderful management, incredible partners and an immense supply of tasetful recipes and heart-felt intentions.
Sufficiently Average
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2016
This was my first job and as far as first jobs go, it was about average, pay was min. wage, hours were consistent and decent, and there was not too much to complain about.
Good company to work for.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 30, 2016
It is a great option for starting professionals.
You get a great deal on Customer service, team work and getting sense of urgency.
I wish, not only them, but all coffee shops would improve the wage increase rate, and increase the wage cap. It would make employees feel valued and stay for longer. It is very sad to see good employees leaving for another job because they don't earn enough.
Pros
Friendly, enjoyable
Cons
high employee rotation. long term employees are mostly undervalued.
Fun environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2016
Learned how to make drinks, and prepare food for customers to eat. Also learned communication skills among coworkers and customers as well. A typical day begins to become quite mundane as the routine is simple and not challenging. The hardest part of the job was simply to remember all the regular customers by name and their basic background because customer care is heavily encouraged.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Hours given are random and not consistent
Fast-paced and positive environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
I began working at Starbucks a year ago and I can't say I have many complaints. The employees at Starbucks are treated with respect and are constantly appreciated/encouraged by management.
My partners (co-workers) are reliable and always ready to work as a team. The atmosphere we work in is busy, fast-paced and sometimes frustrating, yet as a team we are able achieve success and always retain positivity.
Great Coworkers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ONMay 30, 2016
The job was straightforward, only challenge was dealing with large volumes of customers. The people you work with are usually friendly and helpful, just like you would experience as a customer.
They did require quite a bit of availability considering it was a part-time minimum wage job, and it was difficult to get long periods of time off even if business was slow and I wasn't necessarily needed.
Excellent Experience
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 30, 2016
Great place to learn and grow in a customer service career. Developed great work habits and customer relationships through working at Starbucks for a couple of years.