Starbucks

7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun, interactive and busy place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
Pros: benefits for even par time em ployees
Cons: i'm always over caffeinated!
Shifts starting at 5am Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays.
opening the store by setting up displays and merchandise, stocking food display cases and calibrating espresso machines.
As management, I would be responsible for counting all safes/tills, preparing and taking deposits to bank, receiving change orders, and managing inventory.

Management is great! We work as a cohesive team.
Co-workers are very hard working, love the job and are very customer driven.

Hardest part of the job is being on top of your toes in regards to proper deployment and delegating to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently during busy times.

Most enjoyable part of my day is getting to interact with our regular customers, and meeting new people.
Enjoyable work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free drinks, free food, free markout.
Cons: long business hour.
Starbucks coffee shop is different from other coffee shop because we want our customers to feel like home and our staffs are like families. We are trained to treat each customers specially no matter they are regular or not. Smiles is our priority behaviour. I need to do the cash management and run everyone's break. Also, I have to maintain store's clean and neat. Co-workers care about each other and we help each other to learn new knowledge.

The hardest part of this job for me is to hold my stress, and keeps barista to be happy. Sometime my co-workers feel upset but I have to figure out the way to help them forgetting unhappy moment. We have to provide best customers service, so I have to make sure my co-workers are happy first.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when your customers are appreciate what you have done for them. I like to see my customers to be happy and share their experience at our store.
Great atmosphere and charming co-workers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Niagara-on-the-Lake, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, free coffee every week, available hours
Cons: long shifts
A typical day at Starbucks consists most importantly, of making people smile. It also consists of serving coffee, interacting with co-workers and customers, cleaning, organizing, stocking shelves, etc.
The management level at my particular store isn't exactly ideal, there is a definite lack of organization which is frustrating at times for both supervisors and employees, and can lead to store chaos.
On the other hand, my co-workers (not management), are wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoy working shifts with all of them. We all create the lovely atmosphere of the store, and get along very well.
The hardest part of the job, as supervisor, is when it gets unexpectedly busy and you have still have to effectively run the store staffed like you were when it wasn't busy. being short-staffed and trying to operate normally is the hardest part of supervising at Starbucks.
The most enjoyable part is being a supervisor. I get to lead the team, and see results.
Productive and Skill building environment.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: sore feet
A typical day at work would be getting to work for 5 am, refilling the pastry case, turning on the coffee machines, brewing coffee, making handcrafted beverages, taking customers orders, heating sandwiches in the oven, recommending new products, and asking for names for drink cups. I learned how to make some pretty delicious beverages, I learned the proper way of tasting coffee which made me enjoy it even more then I had before, I also learned how to work as a team to get things done fast. The management was good, always fixing any issues the partners may have had. I worked with a lot of great co-workers (Partners) we worked as a team to get things done efficiently. The hardest part of the job was constantly being on your feet. The most enjoyable part of the job was making people happy, and getting to know so many of our regulars,
Too many low-qualified managers!
Supervisor (Former Employee), College Park, MDJuly 3, 2015
I worked at Starbucks during my undergraduate years. The work environment was often hectic not due to the high volume of customers that is peculiar to cafes, but because the majority of the workers were either young college students who lacked professionalism and poor supervisory practices that led to poor store management.
The most enjoyable/easiest aspect of the job is the unvarying, formulaic style of the job requirements regardless of the position. Once prompts, recipes and tasks are memorized, it is difficult not to perform well.
The least favorable aspect of the job was the importance of sales. As a Starbucks barista, one is required to promote the newest beverages and products. In the most recent years, Starbucks has relied heavily on their non-coffee sales. Not only are baristas required to encourage customers to buy; baristas have personal sales quotes for non-beverage sales, which I find absurd, given that Starbucks is a coffee house, not a general store.
professional, while maintaining a welcoming environment
Barista (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: good people to work with, always something to learn
Cons: long hours in a demanding environmet
A typical day at work will usually include many customers, and not enough time to get the behind-the-scene tasks done. I have learned how to multitask, and problem solve on my feet, and I can do it all professionally and with little stress. The management is very hands on with the daily tasks that need to be done, and they are always willing to teach. The partners at Starbucks are hard to label as the company values diversity. Each partner brings something unique to the table. I find that the hardest part to the job is the number of hours that I have to be on my feet. I have been with the company for over five years, and it is starting to wear me down physically. That being said, I still find the job extremely satisfying, as the customers are usually thankful for the service that they receive and they really enjoy our product.
five stars overall
Barista (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: health and dental benefits . free coffee each week. friendly atomosphere
Cons: difficult customers. standing for long periods of time. no room for adavncement.
Over the last few years Starbucks has been great comany to work for.
I started working for the corporation while attending college. While I did both the managment was always very helpful with working around my school hours. All of my food and beverage experience was put to the test with the quick paced environment we dealt with daily.
Starbucks strives to train people they feel will represent them the best, I'm glad to have been a part of that. I worked with some of the nicest people and learned alot from each one of them with.
After a few years i decided it was best to leave. There was no room for advancement, and also my financial situation had changed from the year before.
I would recommend anyone to work for Starbucks if they had the chance.
Amazing people! Fast pace!
Barista (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Free drinks on shift, and discounts on EVERYTHING!
Cons: Whiny Customers
A typical work day at Starbucks involves a mix of running around trying to keep all beverage components stocked, brewing coffee constantly, making specialty drinks, handling customer complaints and having fun with people who have not only become my friends, but my family.

I have learned how to respond to customers and communicate with them effectively. I have learned how to handle complaints efficiently. I have learned how to make delicious drinks!

In my time here, I have become frustrated with how the assistant manager treats the people under her. Our general manager is fantastic and a wonderful person, and at the same time tough, strict and to the point.

The hardest part of the job is how fast paced it can be at times, and keeping customers happy in the busy periods, this is also the most enjoyable part of the job because it provides a constant challenge that you need to meet.
Excellent establishment to learn basic customer service skills
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 16, 2015
Pros: 5 free drinks on days you work.
Cons: miscommunication
show up, put on your apron, clock in, wash hands, assign a front till, follow given instructions/ assist customers/ craft beverages.

i learned not to take anything personally, and to stay positive because everybody has bad days.

occasionally the schedules were poorly constructed, and there was communication boundaries between the levels of management, so there were some grey areas.

my coworkers were great, handled stress well, supported each other like family, and helped out when they could.

the hardest part of my job was working drive thru in the winter because it was cold.

the most enjoyable part of my job was being on bar and seeing someones face light up when i handed them their personally handcrafted beverage.
Great place to start
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 29, 2015
Pros: Free coffee markouts, Benefits, Customer Connections
Cons: Angry Customers, Long hours, understaffing
A typical day at work starts with morning customers needing their morning coffee. Very simple, as most will take their drink and go. The job is a very easy job to grasp, serve coffee and clean as you go. All while making sure the customer is happy with the service they received.

I've learned with the job is to never take anything or anyone that serious. At the end of the day you are serving coffee, and that's it. The customer connections, and benefits are just a bonus to a great company.

The hardest part of the job depends on the customers. They can make or break a day. You could have the best customers in the world come in, or regulars as we call them. But you could also have the worst customers who enter with a bad mood and patience for them is very thin. While we try our best to ensure the customers needs are met, there are those who just don't find anything satisfying.
Good place to connect with customers and have a lot of fun
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 18, 2015
Pros: Free drinks! (5 a shift), tips and really nice regulars
Cons: Tiring shifts, smelling like coffee, making frappuchinos
Working at Starbucks gives you the benefit of working in a responsible, friendly environment with the bonus of having the knowledge of how to make those wild drinks people drink every day. My favorite part of my job was being able to make a difference in someone's day, either by serving them their favorite drink or just by offering a smile. Working here taught me how to work under pressure and how to connect with others. The hardest part about Starbucks is the pace you have to work at to be able to succeed. Long lines and complicated drink orders, along with difficult customers can be very stressful but learning to trust your team makes it easier. And the accomplishment of getting through a rush helps you learn each time.
Fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBDecember 11, 2015
Working at Starbucks has given me the ability to communicate, and to build relationships with my customers as well with my co-workers. A typical day at work is multitasking, organizing, cleanliness of store, up selling product, presentation, working with others in difficult situations also handling situations in a tactful matter. Management is very professional at Starbucks, well organized and making sure our partners are satisfied. Working with my co-workers is the greatest thing I have experienced at Starbucks we all built a family, and always help each other if needed, such as a bad day or helping each other finish our daily task. The hardest part of the job is not having an organized shift, but we all manage through. The most enjoyable part of my job I find is communicating with the customers as well as my co-workers. I have built strong relationships with our every day customers and it feels great to make someones day not realizing that they were were having a bad day until they talked to you.
loved my job and my customers
Barista (Former Employee), Place Des Arts, Montréal, QCMay 24, 2014
Pros: free drinks per day
Cons: having to work with people who are incompetent
a typical day at work would normally involve me coming in and cleaning and stocking for at least the first 3 hours of my shift. And then for the rest of the shift cleaning and picking up after other people.

what i learned is you cant be a team player, if your manager isn't a good captain for this team. A store can only be as good as its leader.

unfortunately the management at this store was by far some of the worst i have ever had to deal with. multiple mangers would tell you multiple things and they would hardly ever be on the same page.

the hardest part of the job was having to deal with the Starbucks team, because they were pretty horrible and all over the place.

the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to connect and make relationships with the customers and the regulars that came in.
Overall great learning experience
Barista (Former Employee), 3079-3081 West Bloor Street, Etobicoke, TorontoApril 29, 2013
Pros: great co-workers and free drinks
Cons: too many hours working as a part time student
I worked as a barista from the end of summer in 2011 to end of January in 2012. I enjoyed working at Starbucks however I had to quit because they required me to work for at least 20 hours a week and at that point I was still in highschool and found it to be too much work. I just finished my first year at the University of Toronto and I'm much more flexible with hours and I'm currently able to work full time or part time.

I found it quite easy to adjust to the fast pace demand of constantly working for hours on end when I worked at Starbucks. I learned how to make all of the starbucks beverages, maintained a clean workspace and cleaned the washrooms and floors. I made great friends from working at Starbucks. The hardest part of the job in the beginning was learning all of the drinks however after several weeks of working there I quickly adjusted.

Overall it was a great learning experience and I love working in the food/drink service.
Employees come last
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Western CanadaMay 13, 2013
Pros: free drinks while at work
Cons: being pressured by the store managers to hit the targets.
A typical day at work will consist of making beverages at a high speed. Making and taking orders under 2 minutes is very common and doesn't take a lot of time to get used too.

I learnt that the management puts the health and education of it's employees last when it comes to hitting the targets. The managers at Starbucks have to ensure to reach their targets - which is fine; however, the Store Managers get "testy" if the partners at the stores ask for time off for educational reasons or for personal days off.

It's great that the Store Managers believe greatly in the visions and missions of Starbucks, however, it seems to keep their vision narrow about what is going in and around the store.

The hardest part of the job is being pressured from the Store Managers.

The customers are the best part of the job - talking with the regulars, and sharing stories with them.
Amazing Opportunity to meet new people.
Shift Supervisor/ Key Holder (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJuly 7, 2014
Pros: lot of space to grow, and improve upon problem solving and time management skills
Cons: under staffed
While working at Starbucks I learned how to effectively manage stress and time. I also learnt how to problem solve efficently as well think quickly in the moment on my feet. I enjoyed working with my co-workers I feel the mix of personalities helped to better improve my working and learning experience.The hardest part of the job would be constanlty being understaffed at the most busiest times of the day, as well as constantly being sold out of popular items. The most enjoyable part of my job was a combination of interacting with new customers (asking a few questions to suggest a beverage or pastry they would enjoy) in a high traffic/volume location. I also enjoyed constantly re-merchandising our product walls and pastry case to entice customers to buy.
Starbucks is mostly great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: free beverages, free coffee beans, free tea markout, great discounts
Cons: some management within kitchener
Starbucks is a wonderful place for a student or young adult looking to develope their customer skills. Partners work in a faced paced environment, handle cash and are trusted to do daily and weekly tasks of their own. Starbucks offers great benefits for even part-timers, stocks that build up cash flow, partner beverages on every break, 30% off partner discount on all merchendise, and partner markouts (one free pound of coffee or tea).

The only bad thing I could even possibly say about this company is that unfortunately I had a manager who bullied her employees and has fired empolyees for unjust reasons but Starbucks has great Human Resources and the issues will be resolved.
Productive and fun workplace with many stuff bonuses and privileges
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 14, 2014
Pros: free drinks during working hours
Cons: long hours to work, as it's mostly physical job
The day at work runs so fast, as this job required a lots of physical activities and emotional efforts. I learned a how to make a lots of different cold and hot drinks, improved my customer service experience. In my position as a shift supervisor I've learned about cash management system, inventory system, bank deposit process, etc...I enjoyed my work, as it's professional place with international experienced co-workers with a good work ethics. The hardest part of the job is physical activity all day long since we started our shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the clients were living the store very satisfied with our service and when they used to come over and over again,appreciate our hard work and enjoy themselves at Starbucks.
Fast paced, communicative work place
Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 10, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, taste testing, fun atmosphere, consistently informed
Cons: under staffed, burning hazards
Working at Starbucks worked well with my strengths. A typical day at work would start with me generally starting at 5:15 am, we opened at 6, and from there I would serve my regulars, and others. Also among serving, I would accomplish a list of chores that were needing to be done. I was quite close with my co-workers, still am with most. We made work fun, constantly making the rushes seem like a breeze. The management that I worked with was the finest management I had ever worked for. I believe the hardest part of the job was maintaining an alert, high energy persona. I loved meeting all those people, who I still run into and have relationships with.
Productive place to work with plenty of advancement opportunities.
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJune 25, 2013
Pros: weekly pounds of coffee, fantastic benefits, wonderful people
Cons: lots of standing, occasional early (before sunrise, it exists!) mornings.
Generally I would work an eight hour day at work, anywhere from four o'clock in the morning as a start time, to eleven p.m. as an end time. Starting at minimum wage, I am now making a little under twelve dollars per hour. Management is strong and willing to help out when needed, and each of the baristas I work with are fantastic and willing to do their part to make the team thrive. The hardest part of it all has had to be adjusting to my new position as a shift supervisor. The most enjoyable part is possibly the easiest question. It has been wonderful getting to know new people, both coworkers and customers alike.
Revenue