Starbucks
3,743 reviews

Starbucks Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced, communicative work place
Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 10, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, taste testing, fun atmosphere, consistently informed
Cons: under staffed, burning hazards
Working at Starbucks worked well with my strengths. A typical day at work would start with me generally starting at 5:15 am, we opened at 6, and from there I would serve my regulars, and others. Also among serving, I would accomplish a list of chores that were needing to be done. I was quite close with my co-workers, still am with most. We made work – more... fun, constantly making the rushes seem like a breeze. The management that I worked with was the finest management I had ever worked for. I believe the hardest part of the job was maintaining an alert, high energy persona. I loved meeting all those people, who I still run into and have relationships with. – less
i love coffee
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnMarch 6, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: long hours
from the time you walk in the door til you leave its go go go. if you want time to fly and love having fun, apply here.
is fun environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), don milsMarch 5, 2014
Pros: 30% off food
served up 2000 customers per day
Provide customer service and handle the payments in fast-paced
maintain and restock inventory
Place orders
manage payroll, scheduling , reports, email
Opened and closing the register
Help the stuff and rotate there position
clean and maintain the store
do the deposit
busy work place with a great team
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2014
Working at Starbucks made me a certified Barista, with a steady clientele and a great team, working at Starbucks was the most stress free job I ever had.

Management was very attentive to everyones safety and work schedule and worked with us to ensure everybody was well accommodated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with our friendly – more... regular customers on a daily basis. – less
Fun place to work, great place to learn
Barista (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 3, 2014
I had a lot of fun working at starbucks. I learned a lot about myself and about working as a student. It helped me realize the value of money and how hard it is earned/easily spent. It was an amazing learning and growing experience. One I am sure never to forget.
For the most part a wonderful place.
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCMarch 3, 2014
Starbucks is world renowned for a reason. The baristas are amazing and so much fun to work with, even those who dont really get along find they are laughing together and enjoying their shifts. My only issue with any startbucks is the managers. Who chooses these people anyways? In the starbucks in campbell river almost every manager is as empty headed – more... as a bag of air. I have found that most of the baristas are doing the work for the managers and still getting put in the lower wage range and treated poorly by them. If it werent for the wonderful spirits between baristas there could potentially be a disasterous blowout infront of the customers. – less
Good
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2014
Working there I was treated nicely and I had the chance to advance in the company when I wanted to.
LOVED IT
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABFebruary 25, 2014
great team, great coffee. all you really had to worry about was making the customers experience exceptional
Great place for student workers
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), calgary abFebruary 24, 2014
Cons: extremely busy all of the time
Excellent management, great for advancement opportunities and excellent benefits!

The partners were like family.
I absolutely loved working for Starbucks!
Barista/Shift Superviosor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: stock options, 30-50% discount on any product, partner markouts (free weekly pound of coffee or tea) tips vacation pay
Cons: on extremely rare occasion, a rude/violent customer
Normally my day would start in the early morning hours. Upon arrival to the store, I would first, ensure that I am accompanied by one of my colleagues, since it was against the companies policy to carry out any business operation alone. When the store would open, I'd ensure that the closing shift did everything properly, would make notes in regards – more... to what was, if anything substandard for a future discussion. Then I would start either, working on the pastry case or setting up the daily operation (till count, setting up of POS (point of sale systems)), this would entirely depend on the role assigned to me as a shift supervisor or a barista. Upon successful set up we would open the store and greet our regular morning crowd. Soon after we would be joined with another team member to deal with the morning rush. Once the rush would slow down, I'd start working on clerical/paperwork, eg. make an inventory, make an order for store supplies, post any new policy/messages from the head office on the store's notice board etc. in between the aforementioned errands, I was assigned the position of shift supervisor, I would oversee and ensure that the partners breaks are allocated and taken. Upon completion of my shift, as a shift supervisor, I would carry out a handover to the closing person and leave the store. – less
Great Place in Theory
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), OakvilleFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: most partners and the customers
Cons: externally hired managers
The company within Canada has lost sight of what it was that made Starbucks stand out. Unfortunately they have hired externally instead of promoting within, so the management most times ends up being useless at best. I had the unfortunate experience if dealing with a manager that bullied her partners and degraded and disrespected even the customers.
coffee makes people happy
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: picky customers?
it's a great job to have while you are in school

typical day at work is making a lot of coffee, coming home smelling like coffee

management changes a lot in starbucks. i was there for just under 2 years and i went through 4 managers

coworkers were awesome. it's a great place to meet people.

most enjoyable part is meeting people. i met some really – more... great people while working at starbucks. both coworkers and customers – less
Great work environment, flexible
Barista (Current Employee), Beaumont, ABFebruary 18, 2014
The main reason why I love my job so much is because of my co-workers. They are the best people! Our management has recently switched over and our new store manager is very unprepared to be able to efficiently run the store, therefore it is hard for me to remain at this job. The hardest part of working for Starbucks would be that you are severely under – more... appreciated for your work by higher management. – less
Good company
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: good benefits, friendly enviroment and promotions
Cons: low pay
Starbucks is an amazing company to work with, they respect everyone, and everyone is in good mood all the time.
learning about all kinds of coffee is pretty fun and knowing that someone is appreciating your job is an amazing feeling .
Work life balance is preached but only applies to hourly partners
Store Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton ONFebruary 17, 2014
As a barista--> Great job! Shift supervisor positions can be good but manager positions are a min of 50 hours per week for 40 hours of pay
Friendly workplace with great customers
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 12, 2014
Co workers are helpful and efficient. The hardest part of the job is knowing all the drink variations and quickly making drinks. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing familiar faces (regulars) and being able to get them exactly what they need.
Fun environment for anyone all ages to work
Barista (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 11, 2014
Typical day at work always is joyous. I have learned different techniques and skill to make a drink personal to their taste. Management is fun but always work related and sticking to the guidelines of the company. The hardest part of the job was letting go old friends who have found bigger and better places to go. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... when you are able to have conversations with new and returning customers. – less
Great atmosphere and charming co-workers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Niagara-on-the-Lake, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, free coffee every week, available hours
Cons: long shifts
A typical day at Starbucks consists most importantly, of making people smile. It also consists of serving coffee, interacting with co-workers and customers, cleaning, organizing, stocking shelves, etc.
The management level at my particular store isn't exactly ideal, there is a definite lack of organization which is frustrating at times for both supervisors – more... and employees, and can lead to store chaos.
On the other hand, my co-workers (not management), are wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoy working shifts with all of them. We all create the lovely atmosphere of the store, and get along very well.
The hardest part of the job, as supervisor, is when it gets unexpectedly busy and you have still have to effectively run the store staffed like you were when it wasn't busy. being short-staffed and trying to operate normally is the hardest part of supervising at Starbucks.
The most enjoyable part is being a supervisor. I get to lead the team, and see results. – less
Lack Luster Brand & Company
Designer (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: free coffee
For those who compare this company to Google & Nike, this couldn't be farther from the truth. They don't encourage, empower or do anything to benefit there employees.

- Very bad office environment
- Nothing special
- 12+coworkers were out on burnout in an office of 20
- Bad management

I highly discourage anyone from working here.
Barista (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Busy, go-go-go, great coffee, didn't like my co-workers but we made it work. I enjoyed my very early mornings, learned a lot about coffee. Got to know regular customers and had their orders being prepared before they ordered

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more