Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 1,035 reviews matching the search
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Very nice place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 October 2016
Starbucks is a very nice place to work, there is an extremely laid back and friendly environment. However, the training process is difficult because of the product knowledge.
Pros
Nice management and envrionment!
Cons
Long hours.
Loved inspiring my partners (employees) to be the best they could be. Teach the the drive for success from within. Exceed all sales goals and customer
Store manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia8 March 2017
The best part of my job was the customer and partners connections. Loving what you do is vital to success of work and life balance. investing all that I am into my career is of the utmost importance to me as a person
Pros
Partners and customers
Cons
Slow
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.
turning ordinary to extraordinary.
Barista (Former Employee) –  medical city18 February 2017
Starbucks has been one of those companies that completely fascinates me. From everything written about them, they are run a lot different than most companies one reads about. their commitment to their customers, employees, and communities in which they reside is really unparalleled in the business world and I am constantly wondering how they make it work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fun work place with great co-workers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 February 2017
This job has provided me with extensive customer service experience as well as experience dealing with co-workers I have not gotten along with and also co-workers who will be life long friends. The job was extremely stressful at times, being a busy environment but that is part of what made time fly by.
Pros
Great coffee and free beverages
Cons
long hours, difficult shifts, unhappy customers
Still a Stellar Company1
Supervisor,retail. (Former Employee) –  VancouverVictoria, BC15 April 2016
Started way, way "back in the day" when Starbucks was just a wee little coffee company from Seattle, U.S.A...yes, things were very simple back then..(Mid-90's).just basic espresso based drinks. Lattes, cappuccinos,and great coffee...They obviously grew...MASSIVELY...I dare say...Some of that growth was positive...Too much was deemed un-necessary and has since been altered and or closed..(900+) locations around the U.S and other countries...While all the changes are still occuring the philosophy still remains intact @ Starbucks'...They really do treat their Partners and vendors with respect...They are certainly NOT the only place at which to buy a coffee, but they do try really hard each and every day to connect on the human values...I still visit them at least once or so per week...Also really like their deals on K-cups in the grocery-stores especially when they are on sale...Cheers to great espresso...
Pros
Decent benifits...work/life balance if you require it..Chance for advancement
Cons
work sometimes seven days per week up to 40-hours...pay-scale not great.
Extremely flexible
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
A job with Starbucks is extremely flexible to each baristas individual needs and typically would be ideal for students and parents. Starbucks offers incredible benefits and perks for working with the company.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lots to remember
Great company to work for, great atmosphere and fellow employees & customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
It was great working in this position, you get to know regular customers and gain a relationship with them which is really nice, other employees are usually all very nice and friendly people as was management. pay was alright, tips were a nice benefit.
Pros
tips, free coffee bag or tea box each week, free drink during break
Cons
Was a great place to work and advance in the company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Crazy busy days always just because of location!
had many managerial tasks to perform and guide my baristas and run my floor with breaks and deployment!
I enjoyed the very fast paced environment and the people were great to work with. Very diverse team!
Pros
benefits were great! the ability to move up within the company
Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2016
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons
Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Inspirational and Fun working environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 February 2017
Starbucks is an environment to thrive on customer experience and connections. Training for the position was very knowledgeable, challenging and exciting. Getting to learn coffee not only as a beverage but also as a sustainable product, environmentally used. The product knowledge for customers to experience something different from any other coffee company.

The job had opportunities to show where improvement could be made as a Manager and as a partner. Tools were set in place to guide partners to self evaluate themselves and improve on any difficult learning along their journey.

Managing inspired individuals with a thirst for knowledge and then executing the education to make them better in their work environment, was the most rewarding part of the job.
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
Overall Job experience
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Starbucks is an incredible company to work for whether your a part-time employee making money for school, or your working at Starbucks as a full time career, everyone in the company is extremely accommodating to your schedule as well as your future advancements in the company.
Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 September 2016
Starbucks is a wonderful place to work. Part time benefits, bi yearly raises, free coffee! . Opportunity to move forward and work up through many avenues.

Pleasant atmosphere, able to build relationships with customers and co workers.
Great Job, Learned a lot!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
Great culture, but difficult work/life balance. Wonderful to have worked for such a forward thinking company. The expectations for store managers seem very high. My peers and I would consistently work 50+hour weeks between floor time and admin time. There's more to life than that.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Long Hours
Great launch pad.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St-Hubert, QC27 March 2017
Great school to learn how a successful business looks like. Great sense of community/friendship. benefits are great and plus you get a free pound of coffee every week and free drinks on your shifts.
Pros
free coffee and drinks and great benefits.
Cons
Impossible to have stable hours if you want to work there full time and grow in the company.
Great place to work, wonderful manager and incredible coworkers, welcoming environment
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2016
I love working in a fast pace environment and constantly being on my feet, always having a task that needs to be done helps me enjoy the work day. I learned how to be patient and calm during high stress times and how to handle customer complaints. I do not have a complaint about management. Everyone is very professional and helpful when needed. My co-workers are some of the most hardworking people I know. Everyone gets along and strives to make the best time for our customers and our store. The hardest part of my job would be the repetitiveness of it all. I like being challenged and doing something new everyday. I like learning how to do new things. The most enjoyable part of my job is the connections I make not only in the community but around the new friends I have made in the store. I love seeing customers smile or enjoy the drink they got. I love knowing that because we went out of our way to make things the best they could be they will be coming back.
Pros
Free drinks on the days that we worked and a discount on food.
Cons
Shorter breaks
Great benefits and culture.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2017
I loved working for Starbucks and would say that it was my favorite job so far. Their attractive compensation and benefit structure along with the flexibility in their hours make it optimal for a student or someone with other commitments.
Flexible job, good benefits, heavy work load
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2016
Relatively the same set of tasks to accomplish each day which became very easy to repeat. I got very good at knowing what needed to be done and for what time. I was thorough, efficient and always supported my team. Management always wanted results without always supplying us with the tools to achieve these goals. Team morale was quite low and so work ethic was also low. I learned to be a good leader and to support my team where management could not by training new hires and coaching other baristas.

The most difficult parts of my job were to coach a team to work together in order to put out quality beverages and have great customer interactions, meet the high health and safety standards of the company, and respect the demands of upper management and store policy when the tools were not always readily available to do such( recovery certificates, merchandise, product, promotional sale knowledge etc.)

I had a lot of amazing experiences working for this company, meeting new people and connecting with them each and every day taught me to assume the best in others. My team helped me to become confident in my abilities and opened me up to new ones, like becoming a coffee master and the health and safety expert at our store. I was given many extra responsibilities to accompany my job and challenge me, every day I was acquiring new skills.
Pros
benefits, 30% off merchandise, free mark-out every week, free drinks while on shift
Cons
unpredictable schedule, overbearing pressure from management, the pay, lack of appreciation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2