Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Wonderful work environment, great management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Absolutely love the customers

Amazing team to work with

This company works around your school schedule

Great management

you are responsible for counting your till at the end of every shift

Amazing training provided
Pros
free lunches
Very Productive environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
Starbucks is a great work environment we learn to work as a team and build relationships with client and coworkers.
It is a great job opportunity for student.
With Starbucks I am able to combine my School schedule with my work and the pay is quite reasonable.
Very fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed the experience I gained working at Starbucks, all employees are trained to work together as a team, my only struggle was the wage wasn't competitive compared to our dedication to the job, and all of the responsibilities a barista takes on.
Pros
benefits, and partner discounts
Cons
low wage.
Exciting, fast pace environment to work in with high standards and expectations
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 7, 2016
I have worked with Starbucks Corporation for several years now and have enjoyed it very much. I have learned that customer service is where I need to be. Its a great place to expect challenges and excitement. Starbucks withholds a very high standard with their employees, the dress code is to always be professional, the attitude and behaviors are to be genuine and respectful at all times.

With these standards you get to work with great people who are always there to help and give support. There are some difficult parts to this job, one that comes to mind first is dealing with all the different types of personalities and preferences customers have. Being able to handle and deal with all types of people is a required skill, ironically the most enjoyable (for me) part of this job is the people. The customers are number one and making sure they always leave satisfied gives me great pleasure in my job.
Great company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 15, 2016
A typical day of work for me is early at the crack of dawn
it usually goes by really quickly with some stressful situations but that is usually beyond our control.
Great coworkers
difficult customers
great boss
great culture
overall great place
Fast paced job with fun atmosphere
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, ABNovember 16, 2015
Very high paced job with lots to do and remember.
Fun working and socializing with customers and co-workers.
Teamwork was vital to be able to work fluidly on the floor.
Very flexible hours and understanding manager able to switch shifts or cover sick co-workers.
Free coffee was loved by all and very needed by all employees.
Lots of cleaning tasks on op of serving customers, multitasking was a necessity.
Pros
Free coffee, discounts, fun environment
Cons
Little pay, competitive hour distribustion, exhausting during promotional periods
Productive and Exciting
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be meeting people through common interests.

I learned a lot about coffee. Different roasts, different regions coffee beans are from and its diversities.

The people I worked with at Starbucks were very close knit, and welcoming
inadequate training and support, slow work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 14, 2015
This Starbucks was located within a Safeway Grocery store. Across the parking lot was a stand alone Starbucks store. This resulted in low customer traffic in the Safeway Starbucks. I felt I was not being challenged enough.
I was left alone too soon in my training, and therefore had to learn a lot of the skills through error. I did enjoy my coworkers and the general atmosphere, however it was not a good fit for me.
Starbucks rocks.
Associate Leader/Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 15, 2015
A typical day at work is busy, fast paced, and requires great customer service. I have learned how important it is to value every single customer. I have learned how to deal with pressure in the work place, and how to build friendships with customers. Management is filled with wonderful people, and are all understanding and reasonable. All of my coworkers are wonderful. Everyone gets along great and are all very welcoming. The hardest part of working at Starbucks is trying not to become overwhelmed when it's busy, and you have twenty drinks waiting to be made, with all different types of customization. You can feel pressured and stressed easily, and dealing with this makes the job very enjoyable. A wide variety of customers make this job so much fun, everyday is different and filled with new people.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Usually always really busy
Great place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 19, 2016
Really busy at times but fun place to work. Learnt how to make different types of coffees and great connections with customers. Overall I highly recommend working for Starbucks!
Pros
great life/work balance, free coffee
Cons
minimum wage
Energetic workplace with high demands
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONJanuary 22, 2016
I am currently still employed by Starbucks, but looking for other opportunities to better suit my living conditions. I have a young family and the work life balance has made spending time with my family difficult.
Pros
Excellent benfits
great starting company
Supervisor, Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 4, 2015
Extremely fast pace, great team building experience, face to face customer service, sales and store budget deadlines, product quality, food and beverage knowledge, develop communication skills within team and customers. time management, safety and security, product inventory, cashier experience,and overall great training and great first job experience. making our customers happy and satisfied was the best part of my day.
Pros
great experience
Oh, to be a partner!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 23, 2016
Working with a diverse and friendly group was very rewarding, as well as fulfilling the needs of our customers. Starbucks is committed to providing legendary customer service and exceeding all expectations, something I was glad to do.
Shift work on an ever changing Schedule
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONNovember 4, 2015
A great lively space to work with other co-staff when not being doggedly hounded for not attempting to upsell customers who come in and hand the server the specific amount of money needed to buy their coffee.
Essentially followed the saying, "When the cat is away..."
Apart from the constantly changing hours, and hugely inconsistent hours I was given, ranging from 12 hours one week, to 35 the next, the staff is what makes the experience bearable.
Pros
Work with co-staff was often light-hearted and full of joking around while performing duties.
Cons
Ever changing schedule, Low rate of pay for what seemed to be an enormous amount of homework and product research
Really likes My Collegues
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  41 Milner and other LocationsNovember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed my costumers they are great and still see some around and they have told me how much I am missed their. I really enjoyed working with people and helping them any way I can.

I really liked working at Starbucks and the people we nice to work with in the most part.
Pros
Great company benefits while working
Cons
to many nights and weekends
Best Job Ever!!
Barrista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 3, 2015
I had the most fun at Starbucks! Management kept things light and i got to know the regulars very well. I moved to different locations based on my skill set and helped where I could. I was looking forward to advancement as it came. Starbucks always gave you something to do and always kept up with the learning. We were never pressured or had complaints while working. I had so much fun and will never forget my experience working there.
Pros
Fun
Great team atmosphere.
Shift Supervisor/Barrista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
High volume, production atmosphere. I love seeing the regular customers and fulfilling their needs.
Useful training and flexible scheduling is wonderful.
Pros
Anytime discount.
Cons
Pay is not flexible
productive, fun,
Barista (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 2, 2015
Starbucks was a fun. a typical day looked like getting prep done cleaning up, and setting up, preforming customer service quick movement with making beverages. clean up once rush is over. end of the shift stock is counted clean up is done. stock is counted up and handed out in the kiosk. milk is put away using FIFO.
Pros
fun people to talk to, laid back.
Cons
long days. picky customers, must be able to work quickly and under pressure
Awesome workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 14, 2016
Customers are sometime hard to deal with but the perks of working at the job are more than worth it. Loved every second of it! My only complaint is their piercing and tattoo rule.
Cons
Was not allowed to keep my tips, Too conservative.
Amazing people! Fast pace!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 6, 2016
A typical work day at Starbucks involves a mix of running around trying to keep all beverage components stocked, brewing coffee constantly, making specialty drinks, handling customer complaints and having fun with people who have not only become my friends, but my family.

I have learned how to respond to customers and communicate with them effectively. I have learned how to handle complaints efficiently. I have learned how to make delicious drinks!

In my time here, I have become frustrated with how the assistant manager treats the people under her. Our general manager is fantastic and a wonderful person, and at the same time tough, strict and to the point.

The hardest part of the job is how fast paced it can be at times, and keeping customers happy in the busy periods, this is also the most enjoyable part of the job because it provides a constant challenge that you need to meet.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, and discounts on EVERYTHING!
Cons
Whiny Customers