Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace!
Café Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 10, 2016
I only did my woerk expirence here but i really enjoyed it! I learned how to make fun drinks and they give partners free drinks on breaks!
Pros
free drinks!!
Cons
very busy!
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
productive and a great place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCMay 4, 2016
Starbucks is a great company to work for. Connecting with your partners and the community builds you as a worker and as a person. Management is always on point and takes great care or their employees. Training is provided, which helps with the volume of individual stores. Working for Starbucks is benifical and fun!
Pros
Partner discounts, great people to work with
Cons
Standing for long hours
Love the job, but can not support my family
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
I love everything the company stands for. My brother, my sister-in-law and my son have worked for the company but we all can agree that the amount of work we do per shift isn't worth they pay. I would be gladly to stay if i was offered more.
hectic but great staff
Barista/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, ABMay 3, 2016
Great place to work but more for the young! Hectic, fast paced, and not enough pay, but great people, good benefits, and great coffee!
Pros
mark outs, free beverages
Cons
strenuous, low pay
Strange cult like corporate culture
put upon (Current Employee) –  5140 Yonge StreetMay 2, 2016
I work in the corporate office in Toronto and have been here about 3 years now. Everything is in a hurry, busy, no time for lunch, 40 hour week and the culture is strange. It's very cult-like. I learned a lot about coffee and curiously, nearly every meeting is prefaced by a coffee tasting. After 3 years, I've tasted every single coffee dozens of times - what more can one learn???? But they are ongoing. The only thing this company is missing is a a corporate song. Folks are nice, but unless you completely mask your personality, be prepared to do endless hours of overtime, volunteer work, and watching your back - this is not the company for you!

The benefit package changed about 2 years ago after the new president came on board and laid off hundreds. Now it is pathetic.
Pros
Free pound of coffee weekly
Cons
long hours, average salary, poor benefits, untrustworthy management and they pay the non-management staff hourly!
Never a dull moment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
A typical day at Starbucks, as an assistant store manager, means performing a number of different functions.

You arrive before morning rush, which generally starts at 8:00 am, and check up on the openers and see how their morning is going. After that, you check the daily order that was placed to ensure the correct quantities of items have been ordered, and offer feedback to the opener if they are incorrect. Then, you quickly check the previous day's labour, and correct any missed punches to make sure people are paid for the time they worked.

When these tasks are done, it is time to hit the floor and serve your customers through the busiest part of the day, morning rush, which lasts roughly two hours. During that time, you greet customers, take their order, and direct the floor operations, to allow smooth service by sending partners to help at bottlenecks, like at bar, if a lot of espresso drinks are in line. After rush is over, you coach your partners on how they did, and start running breaks.

On a normal day, you then delegate someone to do the morning items pull and a secondary pull, to ensure that you have pastry items to sell in the afternoon. As well, if there is an inventory count that day, you delegate the puller to count what is on hand in the freezers.

On an admin day, you get office time to make the next week's schedule, which involves forecasting expected sales, and assigning baristas to shifts to over the hours needed to achieve those sales. Also, you check on the food pull log and adjust your pull quantities, increasing pulls for best selling
  more... items and decreasing them for high waste items.

After that, you work on the floor again, overseeing the days operations, and ensuring that customers have great experiences in store by coaching staff on their service.
Pros
Fun environment, high energy job, keeps you on your toes
Cons
Occasionally long hours, Dealing with everyone's complaints
Wonderful coworkers and workplace, terrible management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2016
The people there made it worth while. Starbucks has a very good company goal and focus. The management was terrible, the new manager was a external hire and was very poorly trained. Ruined the atmosphere for the supervisors.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, awesome atmosphere, free drinks
Cons
Terrible management
Great Student job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Having been both an Assistant Manager and a student employee of Starbucks I have to say, I did not enjoy the management side of this company. However, this is one of the best student jobs available!
great place!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable! My co-workers are really great people and wonderful to work with. Starbucks partners also get stock grants, and discounts on stocks. Tuition and book reimbursement Part-time and full time employees are also eligible for health benefits after 3 months. over all just a really great company Starbucks gives you many great opportunity, including general skills development such as customer service, people skills and time management.
Pros
free drinks, lots of discounts and perks
Cons
weird hours - could sometimes start work at 5AM
Fun job for students
Barista (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCApril 26, 2016
A fun, relatively easy going job with great staff, friendly management, and excellent benefits. Salary is minimum wage and there aren't many opportunities to progress further into the company. A good job for students.
Pros
One free mark-out weekly, full benefits program and stocks
Cons
Minimum wage
Great
Barista (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 25, 2016
learning how to make high quality drinks and becoming very familiar with how drinks are made and the machines work. getting to interact with some wonderful customers who try to get to know as much as you want to get to know them. Management is very flexible and try to accommodate your life and hire people who are fun to work with. The overall job isn't hard it just involves a lot of standing and interacting with people. The best part of the job is building those regulars and getting to interact with them everyday. Also your free coffee mark outs and partner beverages while you work
Pros
Partners Beverages, Weekly Coffee Markout, Benefits
Cons
Pay
Great workplace, Friendly people, Long lasting friends.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 20, 2016
I would come in, and be really excited to see all the other colleagues, which were more like friends then coworkers. You would learn new drinks, new techniques to make your job easier and serve people faster. Most people would find the multitasking and making drinks and putting people through being hard but its actually really easy when you get a good flow to the way you do it. Best part about the job is all the great people you get to know and people who become your regular customers and best friends.
Pros
Free drinks, 30 percent discount
great environment
Part-time Barista (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONApril 18, 2016
Starbucks is a super great, warm and welcoming working environment.
My coworkers and manager/shift leaders are super friendly, understading and have helped me grow and learn a lot since having started working there.
The best part of the job is definitely the relationships that you build with the regular customers that come in everyday.
Pros
tips, warm environment, friendly, fun
Cons
minimum wage, messy
Fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 18, 2016
Love everyone I worked with. Have such a hard working/ positive team. Customers are always happy with the service and are always satisfied with their order.
Great company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 15, 2016
A typical day of work for me is early at the crack of dawn
it usually goes by really quickly with some stressful situations but that is usually beyond our control.
Great coworkers
difficult customers
great boss
great culture
overall great place
A nice working place
friendly customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 13, 2016
This is a great opportunity for me as my first job.Since I worked at a neighbor community area, my co-workers were super friendly, we hanged out a lot and had parties, I was luck that I got in.
Pros
30%off on all products, free coffee every shift, free coffee bean every week.
Cons
unexpected extra work
the manegment needs some help
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
I learned how having to do things in a timely and proper manner under pressure and dealing with unhappy customers and their needs. but i also leanred how to make friends and be responsible with time and people skills. It easy to have an availabilty there but the hours are terrible because of you take a certain day off then the your hours get cut and it just doesnt work.
Pros
free drinks when on floor
Cons
stressful and little pay
Loved the job
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABApril 13, 2016
I loved working for Starbucks. The job offered great benefits, and hours. It was constantly busy which made the day go by faster. I learned how unique each individual really is when it comes to their morning coffee. My co-workers always pulled together to ensure customer satisfaction. Overall, it was a great experience.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
Great team atmosphere.
Shift Supervisor/Barrista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
High volume, production atmosphere. I love seeing the regular customers and fulfilling their needs.
Useful training and flexible scheduling is wonderful.
Pros
Anytime discount.
Cons
Pay is not flexible