Starbucks

7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

What people are saying about Starbucks

• Working at starbucks is rewarding and enjoyable
  • Free pound of coffee
  • Mornings
  • See more...
New career and good opportunities to learn
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MississaugaOctober 16, 2015
Excellent training and emphasis on World Class Customer Service. New products, sometimes overwhelming. Super on health benefits and perks
Big Company, many to vie for fewer positions going up.
Fair amount of office politics but good partners in most stores.
Pros
Great on training and talent development, great perks.
Cons
Hard standing eight hours on end.
Starbucks
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 15, 2015
Great fast-paced company with awesome core beliefs!
There is a challenging ever evolving, You must be able to tackle challenges with ease. My customers are like family to me and I have met many amazing people with unique stories.
love to meet new people
Café Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto. OntarioOctober 15, 2015
I've been at starbucks for 5 years but work love to go back working there someday. I've been there the longest. worked with the best co-workers and i've been though maybe 4-5 before i left at starbucks. but i learned alot from them.
Fast-Paced, energetic, fun, onn-going
Cashing & customer service (Current Employee) –  Square One Shopping MallOctober 15, 2015
During the time that i have worked at Starbucks coffee i have learned a lot. I have become a more experienced customer interacter. By this I mean that i have been able to considerably create bonds with my daily customers, building relationships with them, and having a nice talk or laugh when they are on their way to their busy day. I have also experienced a great deal of team work and communication with my co-workers. We work together in harmony to make sure our customer have the best experience and service at our store each time they come by.
I have mastered the action of multi-tasking and fast-paced working. Since Starbucks is a well known company, we get many loyal and daily customers who are commited to the customer to partner relationships and bonds they have built over time.
Working at a fast - pace while maintaining a good self impression is something very important for each partner. We wana make sure that our customers know we are happy to serve them and help them make their days a lot better.
Susaining a oupositive attitude towards our customers and any given struggle or situation is one of our goals as partners at Starbucks. It is something we must constantly work for everyday that we step on the floor.
Pros
free coffee!
Cons
long line rush
Used to be a fun place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 15, 2015
This used to be a great place to work but up until Starbucks bought the La Boulange bakery which turned out to be a massive $100 million dollar failure. Extreme pressure is now placed on all workers constantly up sale all the time. Most store managers in my district have been fired and replaced by outside hires that don't know what they're doing forcing all the people below them to work 3 times as hard stressing them out.
Fun, Great Benefits and Commradery
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lynden, WAOctober 14, 2015
I enjoyed working for Starbucks. It is a great company to work for and relatively easy to work your way up.

I liked the fast paced environment, the opportunities to excel and the customer service that was delivered on the daily. During any time of the day whether it would be 4am, during a rush or closing the store, there is always laughter and a sense of team.
Great work and team environment, and great benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 13, 2015
A job that always looks good on my resume. I started as a barista and communicated to my manager I was getting bored with my job's roles. He encouraged me to move ahead in the company and I became a Barista Trainer, then Quality Assurance Lead, and then - after a lot of work and an interview with the district manager - I was promoted to Supervisor.
Pros
benefits, raises, promotions, team, culture
Cons
external hiring beats internal hires, poor wages, some inexperienced supervisors and managers, low incentive for baristas to work hard unless working towards a promotion
great for students
Barista (Former Employee) –  MoscowOctober 10, 2015
Very friendly and dynamic atmosphere. A lot of physical work, but the shift usually flies fast as you are always busy, due to the constant guest flow.
Everyday is a brand new day with excitement and a new experience.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  1909 Yonge Street, Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2015
In this company, I learned to mix and mingle with varieties of people, and learned how to treat them and cooperate with them. I have learned to handle individuals in a most polite and friendly ways. Also, I have learned to manage the team and the coworkers in a most efficient way. Along with the district managers, our management team was way beyond the level of excellence. We were always supporting each other, and were always trying to come up with the new ideas to make things better in the work environment. The hardest part of the job was the job itself. Since the job is person to person business, where we deal with the services, not the products, I always kept my smile on in order to make everyone around me happy. Although I am an exuberant smiley individual, I sometimes had hard times, and it was not easy to keep the smile up. However the most enjoyable part of the job is that I felt loved by the customers and coworkers as they always cared about me, which gave me an warmth of a home. Starbucks became my second family.
Pros
Friendly environment! Free Drinks! Lovely customers!
Cons
Sometimes there are some hard labours!
Fast-paced Atmosphere and Social
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2015
Working at Starbucks you are required to be fast, multi-tasking effectively and socially engaging. Customer interaction is an enjoyable part of working there - meeting great people and finding out more about their lives. Working along great coworkers and management is enlightening. Starbucks has great benefits and tuition reimbursement - even for part timers!
Pros
Benefits and customer interaction
Cons
On feet all day and pay
GooD
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management
nice people
Fun work place with supportive management
nice peopleFun work place with supportive management
nice peopleFun work place with supportive management
nice people
Fast pace, friendly environment with a great team mentality
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2015
The most enjoyable aspect of this job was interacting with customers face to face. You knew immediately how your service was received. As a large company it could be challenging, at times to meet with nationwide expectations, but this also served to foster a solid team environment where we looked out for each other. Personality conflicts happened from time to time but were never insurmountable and everyone did their best to work as a team and get through the harrier parts of the days. At times the expectations of head office were a little unrealistic but that's understandable with such a large corporation. I learned to work calmly and efficiently under pressure and to lead my team through clear communication and setting positive examples.
Fast-paced environment with great relationships
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 6, 2015
Overall an enjoyable company to work for. The hours can be difficult to manage for those who require very specific time frames. Great job for students and/or part-time employees.
Flexible work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OntarioOctober 5, 2015
The company has changed significantly since I began my journey several years ago, one thing that has not changed is the flexible work schedule (very accommodating for those attending post secondary) good benefits and the company's encouragement to slow down and get to know the customers. The hardest part of the job would be the company's new directive to obtain obscenely high food sales and the pressure that comes down from upper management. I've been with this place for a long time and the experience overall has been positive, the most enjoyable part of the job would be the amazing co-workers that I've had the opportunity to work alongside and the lasting friendships I've made. The customers are also a highlight, I have met people from all walks of life, of course I have come across some awful individuals (it is customer service after all) but the majority of people are pleasant and polite. This job has taught me key leadership skills and the ability to effectively interact with the general public.
Pros
Free weekly coffee mark-outs, benefits, stock options, flexible work schedules
Cons
Periods of high volume which can result in stressful situations, pay is not reflective of the work load nor the education that the collective staff posses, required to work weekends and holidays.
Love working at Starbucks
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2015
A typical day working there is that you never get the chance to stop working as it is a fast pace environment you get to meet customers and get to know there beverages on the spot. As well Starbucks had a great team workers we pitch all together to help one anther. The hardest part of the job was to know how to make the drinks but time goes by then it got easier to make them. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers and to get to know them was the best part of working at Starbucks because not only do you get to know them you also get to see them come back to the store and we always get there drinks ready.
Best job.
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2015
Working at starbucks you meet your bestfriends, your family and people who could change your life. Not only do you create an amazing bond with people you also find out what they like, and you also become one of their favourite people.
The staff is great, Management not so great
Barista (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 1, 2015
I would wake up at 3am get to work for 4;15am, set up the pastry case, brew coffee, take out the patio, unload boxes, do a garbage run, help customers and so on. The benefits were incredible but when I went to transfer the Management wouldn't let me. So I quit
Pros
free drinks on shift
Cons
High calorie items and prices were through the roof
Productive, fun place to work at
Barista (Current Employee) –  BarrieSeptember 29, 2015
Create moments of connection with customers that will make them want to come back.
My fellow co-workers are great people with extraordinary personalities.
Something new every day.
Good place to work for your first job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2015
This job teaches you the basics of customer service and retail. Since it is corporate, there are very specific ways to carry out roles, teaching you about attention to detail.
Pros
Free beverages and food after being marked out
Cons
Didn't offer as many hours to new associates
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2015
A fun work place with supportive management. The team is selected perfectly where everyone gets along and everyone is there to help (taking shifts, trading shifts etc).

The management team is organized, friendly and coaches in a respectful manner. Nobody ever feels or has felt put down or condescending and everyone takes constructive criticism very well.

Overall, great place to work with. Continuing to work there part time. A plus that this company gives, on top of the benefits, job security, and culture.
Pros
Free stocks
Cons
wages