Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SkOctober 21, 2015
Starbucks has lots of perks and is a good place to work. The treatment is good and the people are nice. Advancement and raises are hard to get though.
Pros
Free Coffee and discounts
Cons
strict on physical looks
Fantastic Co-workers!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 23, 2015
There is something to be said for the simple joy that comes in preparing a quality cup of coffee for someone else and being able to share a smile with them.

Starbucks Coffee Company was my first real job where I was out on my own and it was an ideal first employer. Having worked there I can see why so many people choose to make it their career if they can afford to.

You learn to decipher that previously incoherent code on the back of your mug, you get to interact with both regulars and newcomers alike and develop excellent people skills, and of course, you get to learn how to make the wide range of drinks they offer from a latte to a frappucino.

Management varies from store to store, but overall I have found every in-store manager to be an admirable worker and a great leader. A lot of the skills and lessons my first manager passed on to me re ones I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

Your co-workers though are the true joy of this job! Starbucks has always attracted such an amazing array of people to it's folds, and a lot of my co-workers have become people I maintain contact with even today as we moved onto to new opportunities.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining an engaging customer connection when you become really busy. It's a little harder to remember to keep chatting and connecting with your customers when your line of drinks circles the bar.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere! Starbucks is a truly fun place to work if you enjoy connecting with people, co-worker and customer alike!
Pros
Great benefits; awesome environment; free coffee on shift; fantastic people
Cons
During slow times, hours do get cut so be prepared to pick up shifts at other stores.
In charge of two or more staff (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, abJuly 9, 2015
A typical day is ensuring product is stocked, perfect beverages are made and serving awesome customers. I learned a lot from this job in the form of dealing with customers. Even if it is something small just apologize and come up with a solution. They just want to know that you are listening and you truly want to make it right and make them happy. The management is awesome. They make sure that they tell you when you are doing a good job and if there are corrections that need to be made they will sit down with you and talk to you like you are a human being. The co-workers are the best! You are like a small family. You care so much for each other and watch out for each other. The hardest part is making every customer happy because there are just some people that are having a bad day that you just can't make happy but you do your best and that is all that you can do. I enjoyed getting to know a bunch of people on a personal level, co-workers and customers combined. It is nice when you are able to have that connection with people.
Pros
Benefits, stocks, free products
Cons
Lots of standing
Engaging, productive, and educational environment
Cashier & Barista (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 25, 2016
It was wonderful to engage with customers and employees while being efficient to complete duties during each shift. Working at starbucks an employees responsibility is to have knowledge on the coffee culture and share it with customers. Each sale we informed customers concern on the product they are purchasing such as, a beverage and their preference on flavour, health or expense. The first three weeks the hardest part of the job was memorizing all ingredients for each beverage during the holidays, however, once rush hour then it became habitual to assemble beverages. Practice makes perfect. The most enjoyable was interacting with employees and customers and being able to decorate for the holidays as there's always new seasonal beverages
Pros
free beverage during break
Cons
short shifts
I little about Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
As a Starbucks employee you should setup everything that will be used.
Greet customers with smile and take he or she order.
Brew coffee and make drinks as well handle pastry.
I learned about the coffee culture and about sales. Being a foreign, I learned as well the local idiom.
I had 5 managers in less than 2 years. They have different characteristics but the one that hired me was the best.
While I have amazing co-workers (friends, professionals and hard workers) I have co-workers that only are there to make money to party. So they're no professionals, immature and too lazy.
The hardest part its the morning rush hour where everybody wants be attended fast and the most enjoyable part its try many kinds of coffees, drinks and pastry free.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Wage
Barista - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Loved the fast pace and most customers. Learned many things; including; how to adapt in an ever changing environment. Great training classes. Enjoyed being apart of something bigger with the volunteer opportunities.
Pros
Company looks after their partners.
Cons
Long hours in upper management roles.
Great place to start
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMay 29, 2015
A typical day at work starts with morning customers needing their morning coffee. Very simple, as most will take their drink and go. The job is a very easy job to grasp, serve coffee and clean as you go. All while making sure the customer is happy with the service they received.

I've learned with the job is to never take anything or anyone that serious. At the end of the day you are serving coffee, and that's it. The customer connections, and benefits are just a bonus to a great company.

The hardest part of the job depends on the customers. They can make or break a day. You could have the best customers in the world come in, or regulars as we call them. But you could also have the worst customers who enter with a bad mood and patience for them is very thin. While we try our best to ensure the customers needs are met, there are those who just don't find anything satisfying.
Pros
Free coffee markouts, Benefits, Customer Connections
Cons
Angry Customers, Long hours, understaffing
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 3, 2016
what i learned:
amazing place to work at if you wanna improve your peoples skill, they train you to be better at your job like how to deal with angry and frustrated customers.

management and coworkers:
we are a team of like minded people and getting along had never been a problem for me.

hardest part of the job:
trying to be upbeat and positive when we are super busy as we focus on a lot of things at the same time so we forget to be jolly or upbeat which sometimes comes off as rude or unwelcoming

the most enjoyable part the job:
making people smile! little things that i do which makes a persons day makes me feel happy about what i do.
Pros
regular breaks
Cons
no prospects of growth in the company
A Great Company That Wants The Best For You
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2016
When you arrive at Starbucks everyday, you know you're walking into a positive environment. You always have the same connection with your customers, which at Starbucks is above and beyond satisfaction. I've learned how to manage my time effectively and have gained the extensive customer service experience needed to take me to the next level. Management and partners are always great to be around. Nothing is ever hard working for the company; aside from my specific location. In the heart of Toronto, we have a lot of homeless and underprivileged adults that come in and some times cause a disruption but sometimes just need a place to sit or have a glass of iced water. I've learned how to work in those tough situations and have learned how to keep our store and employees safe. I brag to my friends on how great of a company it is to work for. The most enjoyable part for me is connecting with my customers while attempting my latte art! That's all from me!
Pros
Pastries at the end of the night, discounts outside of Starbucks, 30% Off all Starbucks merch and beverages
Starbucks is mostly great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 30, 2015
Starbucks is a wonderful place for a student or young adult looking to develope their customer skills. Partners work in a faced paced environment, handle cash and are trusted to do daily and weekly tasks of their own. Starbucks offers great benefits for even part-timers, stocks that build up cash flow, partner beverages on every break, 30% off partner discount on all merchendise, and partner markouts (one free pound of coffee or tea).

The only bad thing I could even possibly say about this company is that unfortunately I had a manager who bullied her employees and has fired empolyees for unjust reasons but Starbucks has great Human Resources and the issues will be resolved.
Pros
free beverages, free coffee beans, free tea markout, great discounts
Cons
some management within kitchener
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 30, 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 15, 2015
Good place for young people. Feel as though advancement can only happen if you are a favourite of boss. Management can be hit or miss here. Every store is different.
Cons
long hours, low pay
Great company to work for
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St Catharines, ONAugust 27, 2015
Starbucks offers great benefits and Bean Stock options for all full-time and even some part-time partners. My position as a shift supervisor has me busy all day with serving customers, daily cleaning duties and other responsibilities such as placing the daily milk and paper order, food inventory count, bank deposits and running breaks and deployment on the floor.
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
Strange cult like corporate culture
put upon (Current Employee) –  5140 Yonge StreetMay 2, 2016
I work in the corporate office in Toronto and have been here about 3 years now. Everything is in a hurry, busy, no time for lunch, 40 hour week and the culture is strange. It's very cult-like. I learned a lot about coffee and curiously, nearly every meeting is prefaced by a coffee tasting. After 3 years, I've tasted every single coffee dozens of times - what more can one learn???? But they are ongoing. The only thing this company is missing is a a corporate song. Folks are nice, but unless you completely mask your personality, be prepared to do endless hours of overtime, volunteer work, and watching your back - this is not the company for you!

The benefit package changed about 2 years ago after the new president came on board and laid off hundreds. Now it is pathetic.
Pros
Free pound of coffee weekly
Cons
long hours, average salary, poor benefits, untrustworthy management and they pay the non-management staff hourly!
Comfortable environment with respectful coworkers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The cleaning duties were minimal as cleaning staff came in the evenings. Training and working as a barista was extremely fun and rewarding. It was a very fast-paced environment, but had a laid-back atmosphere. Management was very supportive and forthcoming. My coworkers were diverse and welcoming people. The hardest part was working in such a confined space with many people during a shift. Working the espresso bar and making drinks was definitely the best part of the job and regular customers were a joy to see.
Pros
5 free drinks on shifts and experience with the espresso machine
Cons
small back of house, standing long periods
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
The job comes with many benefits and is very flexible! Great for students!
Barista/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
The hardest and yet the best part of the job are the customers. We get difficult particular customers but we also get great customers who become friends. My co-workers are fantastic and they are what keeps me at the job. we also get stock grants, and discounts on stocks. Part-time employees are also eligible for benefits after 3 months. Every 6 months you get a review where depending on your overall score you get a raise (usually 20 cents, not much but something). If you choose to go further you can be promoted to shift supervisor where the base pay is $13. Hours are very flexible at Starbucks. Managers and district managers (like a general manager but we call then district managers) are all very approachable.
Pros
5 free drinks per shift and 30% off all purchases
Cons
always on your feet running up and down
Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
This job was so outstanding on so many levels;

I created friendships for life with my fellow baristas and customers
Loved engaging
Always learning something new such a drink ideas
Always room for growth.

A typical day at work would begin very early to open the store at 5:30 am. I would begin by brewing coffee in the proper order, placing all the fresh pastries in the show case. I would then get my till ready making sure the cash was correct and the make sure all the syrups and teas where prepared for the morning rush. From 7 am till 9 am I would be on the till ringing in customers orders and collecting pastries. After this time I would take a break to then begin sanitizing and organizing the pastry case for lunch menu items while serving new customers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult customers but was also a great learning experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around my regular customers and creating new beverages with my fellow baristas. We got very creative.
Pros
Free coffee daily, No weekend shifts, Great benefits, and a Overall great company to be employed by
Cons
Lack of hours due to poor scheduling, Hourly wage was quite low and seeing the amount of waste of food.
A 5* Company
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 7, 2016
Starbucks is a great company to work for. From the first interview you really get a feel for the working environment and the type of person Starbucks employs.
There is a lot of training involved even in the most basic role, so be prepared for many hours of reading and writing (most of which is done on a computer). This is all done within your work hours though, so you are paid for your time.
The hardest part of the job is making sure all the daily tasks are completed on time. Starbucks has a strict but very effective schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with some of the friendliest people on the planet. From customers to barista's to upper management, Starbucks its easily on of the best places I have worked.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Shift patterns can vary