Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Great work environment, great employees, and a nice calm atmosphere.
Customer Supporter (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work was very laid back, there is no strenuous work involved. Mostly a very great work environment but the occasional cranky customer is the only downside.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
the occasional rude customer
Unrealistic expectations for a minimum wage position
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Working at Starbucks was by far the worst job experience I have ever encountered. The over sized company merely thinks of you as a number in their system as opposed to the actual human being that you are, creating an unsettling and unwelcoming environment in the workplace. Supervisors were trained to put down their co-workers instead of help them succeed and move forward in the workplace.
Pros
Free beverages with every break
Cons
Unrealistic expectations and an unhappy work environment
Fun, easy going, comfortable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 17, 2016
Working with other people in Starbucks was a great experience. For the day to follow well everyone must work as a team and there were no problems in doing that. Everyone got along great and people rolls of the day were established and followed easily. I learned great team work and communication. Communication was such an important skill in working with the starbucks company and I was able to build up relationships with a lot of the customers at the store. Unfortunately I was only working in Whistler for the summer, otherwise I would still be working there. The hardest part of the job was learning the 86,000 combinations of drinks they had on the menu. The easy part of the job was feeling like I was a part of the team
Pros
Free drinks, good benefits
Cons
Drink memorizing
Great people, bad management.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 17, 2016
great job benefits, however there is little support and a lot of tasks to complete all at once. the job is not worth the pay.
Pros
free drinks and coffee
Cons
no appreciation or support, low pay.
Fantastic work environment
Certified Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMarch 16, 2016
all in all, Starbucks is a great company to work for. I am so happy with my manager, shift supervisors and co workers. Everyone is so easy to get along with, I very very rarely have any issues with my partners etc. Working with Starbucks doesn't really even feel like a job.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
not enough hours
Good job
Barista/Shift Supervisor. (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMarch 16, 2016
Good company to work for, can be a little overwhelming sometimes. Requires a certain kind of person to work there. The benefits are great and it's easy to move up in the company
Awesome workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 14, 2016
Customers are sometime hard to deal with but the perks of working at the job are more than worth it. Loved every second of it! My only complaint is their piercing and tattoo rule.
Cons
Was not allowed to keep my tips, Too conservative.
Barista - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Loved the fast pace and most customers. Learned many things; including; how to adapt in an ever changing environment. Great training classes. Enjoyed being apart of something bigger with the volunteer opportunities.
Pros
Company looks after their partners.
Cons
Long hours in upper management roles.
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 14, 2016
One of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had, working with young people who have unending energy, create laughter in the moment and teach the true meaning of life. Training is at the forefront of each promotion, ensuring you always feel supported and have the tools to succeed. Typical days always start with a great cup of coffee, the opportunity to connect, really connect with people and create an awesome experience for both youreslf, your team and your customers
Pros
Great Partner Discounts
Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons
Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Good people to work with
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
Terrible hours, not the best place to work. Some customers are great, some are completely rude. Hours are needed to be given that are initially promised,
Pros
Free Drink
Cons
Short Hours
Very Productive environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
Starbucks is a great work environment we learn to work as a team and build relationships with client and coworkers.
It is a great job opportunity for student.
With Starbucks I am able to combine my School schedule with my work and the pay is quite reasonable.
good benefit, nice enviroment, decent culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ChengduMarch 9, 2016
Great company. Great people. Learned a lot. Amazing benefits; a pound of coffee a week, health benefits, bean stock, Student re-reimbursement program, eco-friendly environment
Pros
Great Benefits, Amazing Work Environtment
Cons
Exciting, fast pace environment to work in with high standards and expectations
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 7, 2016
I have worked with Starbucks Corporation for several years now and have enjoyed it very much. I have learned that customer service is where I need to be. Its a great place to expect challenges and excitement. Starbucks withholds a very high standard with their employees, the dress code is to always be professional, the attitude and behaviors are to be genuine and respectful at all times.

With these standards you get to work with great people who are always there to help and give support. There are some difficult parts to this job, one that comes to mind first is dealing with all the different types of personalities and preferences customers have. Being able to handle and deal with all types of people is a required skill, ironically the most enjoyable (for me) part of this job is the people. The customers are number one and making sure they always leave satisfied gives me great pleasure in my job.
great enviroment
Barista trainor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and grande prairie abMarch 4, 2016
easy job when you actually learn the stuff fun and super awesome people to work with

super fast pace and can be overwhelming at times
Pros
free drinks
Cons
horrible customers
Fast paced environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
At Starbucks I have learned a lot about how to delegate, and manage employees.The greatest challenge I have dealt with is knowing/ understanding where employees have there strengths and weaknesses and understanding how to communicate with each partner accordingly. My favorite part about being a Supervisor is having the responsibilities of making sure specific tasks are completed on time. Delegating breaks at appropriate times, and managing the floor.
Pros
1 Free pound of coffee a week.
The people were... very negative. But the company was good
Closing Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 27, 2016
In truth I wouldn't recommend working for the location I was employed at.

I worked very hard and was promoted within 6 months, at the recommendation of the regional manager.
That said, the store manager didn't know how to manage people and he allowed the other supervisors to run amok. This lead to week-long tantrums from some of them, and the assistant store manager hated me and the store manager because she felt men had no place in her cafe (despite it being the male managers cafe, not hers?)

There were so many petty grievances and days where the staff and manager/supervisors wouldn't talk to each other that the cafe was a train wreck.

While I learned many skills there, both personal and dealing with everything for the happiest to the most irate customer, to scheduling and placing orders, I would never work at that location again.
Decent Place to work
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCFebruary 25, 2016
Starbucks has a great training place for employees at all levels. They have a great atmosphere, and good developmental opportunities.
fast paced
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  sunrise plaza KitchenerFebruary 24, 2016
they seem to like the younger crowd as barista's but with the right supervisor that likes a good age range of employees it is a good place to work
Barista
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day at starbucks was to prepare for opening. I learned how to make many different drinks as well as custom drinks for certain customers. Management and co workers were great. Hardest part of the of the job was at first learning how to make the many different drinks and then after just keeping the line small. Most enjoyable part was tasting and making samples for customers.
Pros
Free samples