Starbucks Employee Reviews

New career and good opportunities to learn
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MississaugaOctober 16, 2015
Excellent training and emphasis on World Class Customer Service. New products, sometimes overwhelming. Super on health benefits and perks
Big Company, many to vie for fewer positions going up.
Fair amount of office politics but good partners in most stores.
Pros
Great on training and talent development, great perks.
Cons
Hard standing eight hours on end.
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 30, 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Always a great team to work with at every store.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCAugust 24, 2016
Sometimes it would be quite busy and hectic but I always knew I could rely on my team. Every store I worked at had a great team. I received a great deal of knowledge about coffee while working there. The management in many cases weren't the best. It often felt like they weren't even there; spending most of their time hiding in the back away from the work. This was the case in many stores that I worked at. The most difficult thing on a day to day basis was making everything run smoothly. Sometimes we would be busier than we would have expected to be and so breaks might get a bit behind. As a supervisor it was my job to ensure that this didn't happen. It was also my job however to ensure that the lineup moved as quickly as possible. Trying to find balance between my customer's needs and my teams needs could sometimes prove to be difficult. It was my team and the regulars that would come in would make my day. They were always so joyful and happy to be there. Seeing their happiness always brought a smile to my face.
Pros
Free drinks on breaks while working.
good starter job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 7, 2016
i worked for Starbucks for almost two years, and grew a lot in terms of customer service. it is a good job if you are looking for something to give you experience. I quickly made my way up to a Supervisor position. the only thing that turned me off about this job was the company itself. Starbucks ( as much as they preach partnership and such) is not good to their employees. they make changes without notifying us and make us deal with the back lash. They make horrendous rules that are not necessary for the survival of the company yet make their employees do them just for the sake of credibility
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad company
having fun making drinks for friendly people
Assistant Manager Sales (Former Employee) –  hinton,albJuly 11, 2016
I liked working for Starbucks, there was lots of friendly outgoing people. At the beginning it was great. My co-workers were on time and actually showed up for their shifts. The management was very friendly to me when I was showing I was hard working. The hardest part of the job was when I was sick, no one would cover me.That rose up to me missing a day,and almost being terminated.The manger was not very nice to me.I was treated different by co-workers.I eventually quit after 2 months of torture.
Pros
discount on items
Cons
long hours, being alone too long, terrible management
A good place to work
Cashier duties (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 18, 2015
Over all they were relatively flexible when it came to the schedule. They were very customer orientated and a pleasure to work for. We also got a .25 cent raise every year if standards of work were met.
fun, interactive and busy place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
Shifts starting at 5am Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays.
opening the store by setting up displays and merchandise, stocking food display cases and calibrating espresso machines.
As management, I would be responsible for counting all safes/tills, preparing and taking deposits to bank, receiving change orders, and managing inventory.

Management is great! We work as a cohesive team.
Co-workers are very hard working, love the job and are very customer driven.

Hardest part of the job is being on top of your toes in regards to proper deployment and delegating to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently during busy times.

Most enjoyable part of my day is getting to interact with our regular customers, and meeting new people.
Pros
benefits for even par time em ployees
Cons
i'm always over caffeinated!
Overall good job.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
My review on the company is sort of biased. I've loved the idea of working at Starbucks since I was 12-13. Of course, being that age, I couldn't necessarily work there. When I got a call back when I turned 16 I was honestly thrilled. Our manager at the time Vik, was great. He wrote me a personal development plan so the day I turned 18 if I was still with the company I would be shift manager or assistant manager. We currently have a new manager Kamilah and she isn't the most professional. She mostly just sits in the back room. So I'm leaving, which makes me sad but it is what it is. At the end of the day, Starbucks is a great company, but the management just isn't for me. Now it is understandable that you aren't going to always love your boss, but it became a very cliquey workplace and extremely unprofessional. I love the majority of my co-workers and it's a fun place to work. I just need to branch out.
Pros
Lots of benefits, working with people all day, good break times, better then usual pay.
Cons
A "mean-girl" environment, lots of restrictions about uniform, management wasn't the best.
Engaging, productive, and educational environment
Cashier & Barista (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 25, 2016
It was wonderful to engage with customers and employees while being efficient to complete duties during each shift. Working at starbucks an employees responsibility is to have knowledge on the coffee culture and share it with customers. Each sale we informed customers concern on the product they are purchasing such as, a beverage and their preference on flavour, health or expense. The first three weeks the hardest part of the job was memorizing all ingredients for each beverage during the holidays, however, once rush hour then it became habitual to assemble beverages. Practice makes perfect. The most enjoyable was interacting with employees and customers and being able to decorate for the holidays as there's always new seasonal beverages
Pros
free beverage during break
Cons
short shifts
Calling all coffee lovers, this is your place!
Barista- Customer Service Lead/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 16, 2016
Where can I begin, I've been with Starbucks 3.5years now and It truly is an incredible company to work for. You can be as flexible as you want or need with your schedule and your manager will still accommodate your needs and wishes. There is a lot to love here, free drinks on every break and a 30-40% discount on any item as well, not to mention weekly mark outs of coffee, teas etc.

I work at a drive through and on most days (especially during the school year) it is very busy and we have lots of tasks to complete. This can be the hardest part about the jobs because of how overwhelming it can seem but if you just keep calm you're fine!

Your customers will be the best and worst part of your day, just when you think one has ruined your day you turn around and another makes it back for you, they are the reason Starbucks is a thing!

Can we talk benefits? OMG they are amazing!! You only have to work 20hrs a week and you get full benefits, Starbucks believes pure heartedly in home and work life balance.

All in all, it's a wonderful company to work for!
Pros
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS, Free coffee, amazing customers
Cons
High Stress
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
Flexible work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OntarioOctober 5, 2015
The company has changed significantly since I began my journey several years ago, one thing that has not changed is the flexible work schedule (very accommodating for those attending post secondary) good benefits and the company's encouragement to slow down and get to know the customers. The hardest part of the job would be the company's new directive to obtain obscenely high food sales and the pressure that comes down from upper management. I've been with this place for a long time and the experience overall has been positive, the most enjoyable part of the job would be the amazing co-workers that I've had the opportunity to work alongside and the lasting friendships I've made. The customers are also a highlight, I have met people from all walks of life, of course I have come across some awful individuals (it is customer service after all) but the majority of people are pleasant and polite. This job has taught me key leadership skills and the ability to effectively interact with the general public.
Pros
Free weekly coffee mark-outs, benefits, stock options, flexible work schedules
Cons
Periods of high volume which can result in stressful situations, pay is not reflective of the work load nor the education that the collective staff posses, required to work weekends and holidays.
I little about Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
As a Starbucks employee you should setup everything that will be used.
Greet customers with smile and take he or she order.
Brew coffee and make drinks as well handle pastry.
I learned about the coffee culture and about sales. Being a foreign, I learned as well the local idiom.
I had 5 managers in less than 2 years. They have different characteristics but the one that hired me was the best.
While I have amazing co-workers (friends, professionals and hard workers) I have co-workers that only are there to make money to party. So they're no professionals, immature and too lazy.
The hardest part its the morning rush hour where everybody wants be attended fast and the most enjoyable part its try many kinds of coffees, drinks and pastry free.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Wage
Fun place to work and gain person connections
Barista (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 26, 2016
Working for Starbucks is such a great experience. As a barista you do have a long list of responsibilities that need to be learnt and maintained. Starbucks hire people with the same personality so it is easy to make friends with co-workers and even customers. At times customers can become extremely disrespectful to you and as a barista it is your responsibility to "make it right", which is probably the worst part about working at Starbucks. Despite what may happen, top managers and managers will always protect their employees.
Strange cult like corporate culture
put upon (Current Employee) –  5140 Yonge StreetMay 2, 2016
I work in the corporate office in Toronto and have been here about 3 years now. Everything is in a hurry, busy, no time for lunch, 40 hour week and the culture is strange. It's very cult-like. I learned a lot about coffee and curiously, nearly every meeting is prefaced by a coffee tasting. After 3 years, I've tasted every single coffee dozens of times - what more can one learn???? But they are ongoing. The only thing this company is missing is a a corporate song. Folks are nice, but unless you completely mask your personality, be prepared to do endless hours of overtime, volunteer work, and watching your back - this is not the company for you!

The benefit package changed about 2 years ago after the new president came on board and laid off hundreds. Now it is pathetic.
Pros
Free pound of coffee weekly
Cons
long hours, average salary, poor benefits, untrustworthy management and they pay the non-management staff hourly!
The staff is great, Management not so great
Barista (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 1, 2015
I would wake up at 3am get to work for 4;15am, set up the pastry case, brew coffee, take out the patio, unload boxes, do a garbage run, help customers and so on. The benefits were incredible but when I went to transfer the Management wouldn't let me. So I quit
Pros
free drinks on shift
Cons
High calorie items and prices were through the roof
A Great Company That Wants The Best For You
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2016
When you arrive at Starbucks everyday, you know you're walking into a positive environment. You always have the same connection with your customers, which at Starbucks is above and beyond satisfaction. I've learned how to manage my time effectively and have gained the extensive customer service experience needed to take me to the next level. Management and partners are always great to be around. Nothing is ever hard working for the company; aside from my specific location. In the heart of Toronto, we have a lot of homeless and underprivileged adults that come in and some times cause a disruption but sometimes just need a place to sit or have a glass of iced water. I've learned how to work in those tough situations and have learned how to keep our store and employees safe. I brag to my friends on how great of a company it is to work for. The most enjoyable part for me is connecting with my customers while attempting my latte art! That's all from me!
Pros
Pastries at the end of the night, discounts outside of Starbucks, 30% Off all Starbucks merch and beverages
Barista - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Loved the fast pace and most customers. Learned many things; including; how to adapt in an ever changing environment. Great training classes. Enjoyed being apart of something bigger with the volunteer opportunities.
Pros
Company looks after their partners.
Cons
Long hours in upper management roles.
Great First Job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
As a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks, it really teaches you about how to be a leader. You are leading the baristas throughout that day, motivating and coaching them to deliver the best service possible to your customers. It also teaches you how to remain calm in high volume periods. Furthermore, it helps develops your ability to be detail-oriented in regards to labor variances, inventory, and daily deposits. Overall, it is a great, well-rounded, starter job.
Pros
Flexible Job
Cons
Low salary
Fast but Fun educational, and provides amazing opportunities.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCMay 17, 2016
Fast pasted, lots of customer interactions, cleaning, Visual merchandising.
I learned to keep up with the high demand with a happy happy smile on my face, also to know when and how to respond to a mistake with orders, through the BEST training I have EVER went through. I learned time management.
Co-workers are like the best part.
Hardest part is to learn that it is okay to take your time, because after time you become faster and faster.
Most enjoyable part is seeing our customers smile big, and of course free drinks.
Pros
Training, and free drinks plus discounts.
Cons
Can be over alot to begin with