Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

It's a Fun work place. But
Shift Supervisor/Key-holder (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 6, 2016
I love working at Starbucks. Love the people that I work with, the customers that I deal with. I would just like to say that maybe having to choose an option of having a higher Pay, rather than profit sharing, would benefit the partners who would love to stay with the Company, and also be eligible to potentially sign up for a car or a house or something that we can Tie into our names. instead of being paid "minimum".

The reason I would leave this company is for the reason of Job Advancement. Your Own manager will promise you a lot of things, and will make you think you are ready, and then you wait for things to start rolling. But nothing is actually going on still.
Great Job, Learned a lot!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
Great culture, but difficult work/life balance. Wonderful to have worked for such a forward thinking company. The expectations for store managers seem very high. My peers and I would consistently work 50+hour weeks between floor time and admin time. There's more to life than that.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Long Hours
Hard work, you really have to enjoy it.
Barista (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 6, 2016
Very tiring job, you have to give ample availability to get hours of work. Lots of standing on your feet, moving around and fast-paced environment. Great customer service experience but very physical and demanding job.
Pros
Fulltime - Health Benefits
Cons
No hours, minimum wage & no consistent schedules.
Good co workers and fun customers
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJuly 23, 2016
The management was bitter and rude at my location and just a few others where i worked a shift or two occasionally. The most common problem was a language barrier or just trying to understand my management team.
Pros
Free drinks of any size before, and after and on the break of your shift
Great workplace!
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 29, 2016
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable, the wage is slightly better than minimum! my only complaint would be the inconsistent availability of hours, and slow to the draw management. over all, my experience working at Starbucks has been the best work experience I've had.
Pros
Free drinks, universal 30% employee discount, great employee benefits.
Cons
Not enough hours!
Wonderful coworkers and workplace, terrible management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2016
The people there made it worth while. Starbucks has a very good company goal and focus. The management was terrible, the new manager was a external hire and was very poorly trained. Ruined the atmosphere for the supervisors.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, awesome atmosphere, free drinks
Cons
Terrible management
I little about Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
As a Starbucks employee you should setup everything that will be used.
Greet customers with smile and take he or she order.
Brew coffee and make drinks as well handle pastry.
I learned about the coffee culture and about sales. Being a foreign, I learned as well the local idiom.
I had 5 managers in less than 2 years. They have different characteristics but the one that hired me was the best.
While I have amazing co-workers (friends, professionals and hard workers) I have co-workers that only are there to make money to party. So they're no professionals, immature and too lazy.
The hardest part its the morning rush hour where everybody wants be attended fast and the most enjoyable part its try many kinds of coffees, drinks and pastry free.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Wage
Fun and Exciting Job
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJuly 8, 2016
I really loved working there. I enjoy working with my co partners, everything was fun. You get to have fun while working and interacting with customers. I learned having to multitask anything you can think of. It is a really fun job.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Boring during non busy hours
Unrealistic expectations for a minimum wage position
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Working at Starbucks was by far the worst job experience I have ever encountered. The over sized company merely thinks of you as a number in their system as opposed to the actual human being that you are, creating an unsettling and unwelcoming environment in the workplace. Supervisors were trained to put down their co-workers instead of help them succeed and move forward in the workplace.
Pros
Free beverages with every break
Cons
Unrealistic expectations and an unhappy work environment
Great general work experience
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2016
Starbucks gives you many great opportunity, including general skills development such as customer service, people skills and time management. Company is very organized and training is very easily followed. The hardest part of the job is time management, because you need to be able to manage your time properly whilst maintaining the quality of your work.
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 14, 2016
One of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had, working with young people who have unending energy, create laughter in the moment and teach the true meaning of life. Training is at the forefront of each promotion, ensuring you always feel supported and have the tools to succeed. Typical days always start with a great cup of coffee, the opportunity to connect, really connect with people and create an awesome experience for both youreslf, your team and your customers
Pros
Great Partner Discounts
Fun, easy going, comfortable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 17, 2016
Working with other people in Starbucks was a great experience. For the day to follow well everyone must work as a team and there were no problems in doing that. Everyone got along great and people rolls of the day were established and followed easily. I learned great team work and communication. Communication was such an important skill in working with the starbucks company and I was able to build up relationships with a lot of the customers at the store. Unfortunately I was only working in Whistler for the summer, otherwise I would still be working there. The hardest part of the job was learning the 86,000 combinations of drinks they had on the menu. The easy part of the job was feeling like I was a part of the team
Pros
Free drinks, good benefits
Cons
Drink memorizing
Loved the job
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABApril 13, 2016
I loved working for Starbucks. The job offered great benefits, and hours. It was constantly busy which made the day go by faster. I learned how unique each individual really is when it comes to their morning coffee. My co-workers always pulled together to ensure customer satisfaction. Overall, it was a great experience.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
The job comes with many benefits and is very flexible! Great for students!
Barista/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
The hardest and yet the best part of the job are the customers. We get difficult particular customers but we also get great customers who become friends. My co-workers are fantastic and they are what keeps me at the job. we also get stock grants, and discounts on stocks. Part-time employees are also eligible for benefits after 3 months. Every 6 months you get a review where depending on your overall score you get a raise (usually 20 cents, not much but something). If you choose to go further you can be promoted to shift supervisor where the base pay is $13. Hours are very flexible at Starbucks. Managers and district managers (like a general manager but we call then district managers) are all very approachable.
Pros
5 free drinks per shift and 30% off all purchases
Cons
always on your feet running up and down
Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons
Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Enjoyable and Great Environment
Barista (Seasonal Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 5, 2016
Working at Starbucks is an amazing experience. The people who work there are very friendly and helpful to new employees. Although the management is very strict, they do still respect your personal struggles (ie. mental health). Helping the customers and learning how to make the drinks is by the far the most enjoyable.
Fun and welcoming workplace
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 18, 2016
While I worked at Starbucks I quickly realized it was a great workplace for beginner workers. On a normal day I would help out with dishes, lobby, and refilling supplies. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this company.
Strange cult like corporate culture
put upon (Current Employee) –  5140 Yonge StreetMay 2, 2016
I work in the corporate office in Toronto and have been here about 3 years now. Everything is in a hurry, busy, no time for lunch, 40 hour week and the culture is strange. It's very cult-like. I learned a lot about coffee and curiously, nearly every meeting is prefaced by a coffee tasting. After 3 years, I've tasted every single coffee dozens of times - what more can one learn???? But they are ongoing. The only thing this company is missing is a a corporate song. Folks are nice, but unless you completely mask your personality, be prepared to do endless hours of overtime, volunteer work, and watching your back - this is not the company for you!

The benefit package changed about 2 years ago after the new president came on board and laid off hundreds. Now it is pathetic.
Pros
Free pound of coffee weekly
Cons
long hours, average salary, poor benefits, untrustworthy management and they pay the non-management staff hourly!
Engaging, productive, and educational environment
Cashier & Barista (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 25, 2016
It was wonderful to engage with customers and employees while being efficient to complete duties during each shift. Working at starbucks an employees responsibility is to have knowledge on the coffee culture and share it with customers. Each sale we informed customers concern on the product they are purchasing such as, a beverage and their preference on flavour, health or expense. The first three weeks the hardest part of the job was memorizing all ingredients for each beverage during the holidays, however, once rush hour then it became habitual to assemble beverages. Practice makes perfect. The most enjoyable was interacting with employees and customers and being able to decorate for the holidays as there's always new seasonal beverages
Pros
free beverage during break
Cons
short shifts
fun workplace, great place to grow
Barista (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJuly 9, 2016
Fun and productive workplace. Management wasn't very inviting. Co-workers were great. Days would get busy. Most enjoyable part about working at sbux was getting to work with great individuals and creating friendships with customers and co-workers.