Starbucks Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Tea Guide Associate and Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2016
overall fun place to work if you are trying to get by school or have other jobs on the side. management it too intense but not bad work culture
productive
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
i met a lot of great people. the management wasn't great and i didn't enjoy the job. typical day at work would be taking customers order , and making drinks and stocking up and following clean , safe and ready. i learned to be patient. the management lacked coaching. they would use aggressiveness as a form of coaching. my co workers were great. the hardest part about the job is learning the recipe. the most enjoyable part is you meet great customers.
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Very nice place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 October 2016
Starbucks is a very nice place to work, there is an extremely laid back and friendly environment. However, the training process is difficult because of the product knowledge.
Pros
Nice management and envrionment!
Cons
Long hours.
Still a Stellar Company1
Supervisor,retail. (Former Employee) –  VancouverVictoria, BC15 April 2016
Started way, way "back in the day" when Starbucks was just a wee little coffee company from Seattle, U.S.A...yes, things were very simple back then..(Mid-90's).just basic espresso based drinks. Lattes, cappuccinos,and great coffee...They obviously grew...MASSIVELY...I dare say...Some of that growth was positive...Too much was deemed un-necessary and has since been altered and or closed..(900+) locations around the U.S and other countries...While all the changes are still occuring the philosophy still remains intact @ Starbucks'...They really do treat their Partners and vendors with respect...They are certainly NOT the only place at which to buy a coffee, but they do try really hard each and every day to connect on the human values...I still visit them at least once or so per week...Also really like their deals on K-cups in the grocery-stores especially when they are on sale...Cheers to great espresso...
Pros
Decent benifits...work/life balance if you require it..Chance for advancement
Cons
work sometimes seven days per week up to 40-hours...pay-scale not great.
Unique culture, lots of drama
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 January 2017
If you work for Starbucks, you live, eat and sleep Starbucks. No matter what store location, the culture is very modern, very millennial, and with that will be guaranteed some drama (just from your co-workers). The company itself is very clean and professional. You get good training and it is fun to work there. Good experience for anyone needs/wants the entry level fast food environment on their resume without working at McDonalds.
Pros
Free drinks, cool place to work
Cons
Co-worker drama
Great place to work with if...
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
If you can handle the pressure set on you by the seniors, and are capable of learning quickly from mistakes, work life will be very easy. The most enjoyable is the bonds that can be made with not just the staff but also the customers you interact with. Since its an airport, you get to meet so many different types of people. And the things you can learn from them, you can take with you, wherever you go.
Pros
Awesome staff and customers
Cons
Stress and Pressure of a busy day
Good, Bad and the Ugly
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
I worked for 8 years as a Barista. My overall experience with Starbucks in general for atleast my first 6 years were enjoyable. Its a great starting job and teaches you relevant skills that opens a variety of options in the customer service industry down the road. I have seen the best and worse of Starbucks. I have made some good friends and compromised with several obstacles in Starbucks. By obstacles I mean people.

Mind you this is my personal experience but how such backwards people can be put into management is beyond me. I witnessed horrible backstabbing as a small group of managers backstab another Assistant manager in the district to ensure she didn't get a promotion, Baristas/Shift managers including myself putting up with horrible management and having absolutely nothing done about it and office politics that rivaled Ugly Betty. A barista and acquaintance of mine was forced to do Open/Closes, Consistently given extra work (Beyond her 40hrs), Off the clock duties, consistent belittling in front of staff and absolutely zero regard for human dignity. after +1 year battle with HR they eventually just trasnferred her and the manager works there to this day.

For myself I was offered shift manager position maybe a total of 3-4 times by other stores who saw the effort and detail i put into my job. However I was determined to fight for an open position in my own store which I thought was possible. I had 6 years of experience under my belt at the time and a total of 4 months of shift development along with a myriad of extra responsibilities from another manager. Unfortunately
  more... that manager was transferred out and I was offered a "fair" consideration for the next one. I wasn't, out of the door this manager hated Men (im a male). Even the new hires no more older than 1-2 weeks saw that she was particularly harsh with men and always batted an eye with the female staff. I FOUGHT for this position, but I knew she would never consider me. So I opted to transfer to another position at a closer location to home. I worked a total of 4 shifts with that store, the staff saw my experience, did an interview with the manager, the manager himself talked about scheduling me a few weeks out...Until he got a phone call from my manager finalizing the transfer. Guess what? I came into the store to pick up my new schedule for the place to see that nothing fell through AND THIS IS HOW I HAD TO FIND OUT? I had to do my own investigation that I was 2 weeks off the schedule at my own store, not on-staff on the new one, 1 paycheck short of rent? Are you serious? a few days later I find out that i was never transferred and that the managers had some communication which was never brought to my attention.

Why do backwards people always get into management?
I've outlasted 5 managers, my first rage quit the company(he was excellent), my second took the first job she could out of there, my third was a pedophile who was let go, my fourth went crazy, my fifth was superb and my 6th...you know the story.

Anyways to the present, I worked for 1 more year after that trying to turn things around. No regards, apparently after 1 year of SERIOUS improvement to my own skills I rate a 1.5 out of 4 stars. I quit. I risk homelessness, I am rock bottom AND I AM HAPPIER. Because I know from the bottom I can move up, instead of where I was before.
An Honest Review.
Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2016
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons
Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
Great Job, Learned a lot!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
Great culture, but difficult work/life balance. Wonderful to have worked for such a forward thinking company. The expectations for store managers seem very high. My peers and I would consistently work 50+hour weeks between floor time and admin time. There's more to life than that.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Long Hours
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.
Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 September 2016
Starbucks is a wonderful place to work. Part time benefits, bi yearly raises, free coffee! . Opportunity to move forward and work up through many avenues.

Pleasant atmosphere, able to build relationships with customers and co workers.
Flexible job, good benefits, heavy work load
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2016
Relatively the same set of tasks to accomplish each day which became very easy to repeat. I got very good at knowing what needed to be done and for what time. I was thorough, efficient and always supported my team. Management always wanted results without always supplying us with the tools to achieve these goals. Team morale was quite low and so work ethic was also low. I learned to be a good leader and to support my team where management could not by training new hires and coaching other baristas.

The most difficult parts of my job were to coach a team to work together in order to put out quality beverages and have great customer interactions, meet the high health and safety standards of the company, and respect the demands of upper management and store policy when the tools were not always readily available to do such( recovery certificates, merchandise, product, promotional sale knowledge etc.)

I had a lot of amazing experiences working for this company, meeting new people and connecting with them each and every day taught me to assume the best in others. My team helped me to become confident in my abilities and opened me up to new ones, like becoming a coffee master and the health and safety expert at our store. I was given many extra responsibilities to accompany my job and challenge me, every day I was acquiring new skills.
Pros
benefits, 30% off merchandise, free mark-out every week, free drinks while on shift
Cons
unpredictable schedule, overbearing pressure from management, the pay, lack of appreciation
turning ordinary to extraordinary.
Barista (Former Employee) –  medical city18 February 2017
Starbucks has been one of those companies that completely fascinates me. From everything written about them, they are run a lot different than most companies one reads about. their commitment to their customers, employees, and communities in which they reside is really unparalleled in the business world and I am constantly wondering how they make it work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fun work place with great co-workers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 February 2017
This job has provided me with extensive customer service experience as well as experience dealing with co-workers I have not gotten along with and also co-workers who will be life long friends. The job was extremely stressful at times, being a busy environment but that is part of what made time fly by.
Pros
Great coffee and free beverages
Cons
long hours, difficult shifts, unhappy customers
Great place to work, wonderful manager and incredible coworkers, welcoming environment
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2016
I love working in a fast pace environment and constantly being on my feet, always having a task that needs to be done helps me enjoy the work day. I learned how to be patient and calm during high stress times and how to handle customer complaints. I do not have a complaint about management. Everyone is very professional and helpful when needed. My co-workers are some of the most hardworking people I know. Everyone gets along and strives to make the best time for our customers and our store. The hardest part of my job would be the repetitiveness of it all. I like being challenged and doing something new everyday. I like learning how to do new things. The most enjoyable part of my job is the connections I make not only in the community but around the new friends I have made in the store. I love seeing customers smile or enjoy the drink they got. I love knowing that because we went out of our way to make things the best they could be they will be coming back.
Pros
Free drinks on the days that we worked and a discount on food.
Cons
Shorter breaks
Great job for students
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Working at Starbucks really helped me to open my eyes to the world and see other people as paying customers. It helped me understand the business and why things are done the way they are. Hours are flexible and the company is understanding to full time students. However, you're not paid that much and you have a lot to do; constantly and non stop moving. Worked there two years and it got a bit too comfortable after a year and half or so. Every six months you get a review and if you do well, you get a couple of cents raise; not worth it though.
Pros
Free drinks, benefits after one year working, friendly people (depends on the store), flexible hours (depends on the store)
Cons
Paid so little to do so much, physical work, smell horrible after work lol
Was a great place to work and advance in the company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Crazy busy days always just because of location!
had many managerial tasks to perform and guide my baristas and run my floor with breaks and deployment!
I enjoyed the very fast paced environment and the people were great to work with. Very diverse team!
Pros
benefits were great! the ability to move up within the company
Overall Job experience
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Starbucks is an incredible company to work for whether your a part-time employee making money for school, or your working at Starbucks as a full time career, everyone in the company is extremely accommodating to your schedule as well as your future advancements in the company.

4.2