Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 1,293 reviews matching the search
Starbucks is a great place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary19 July 2017
I've been at starbucks for almost 3 years and I've enjoyed it in the past. I like the people I work with and the regulars I've got to know over the years. The jobs is doable but does get stressful at times, therefore employees need to be able to work in a fast-paced environment. The issues are that most locations don't offer full-time work to baristas which has resulted in a signficant drop in morale in the past year.
Pros
benefits, flexible hours
Cons
stressful at times, baristas do not get full time hours
awesome
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2017
fast-paced, great teaching system, great people to work with, awesome customers, nice and busy location, they work with the hours of your other job. great place to work.
Fun place to work, but wages aren't that great.
Barista/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 July 2017
I have been with the company for four years, and I love working at my store because of all the amazing partners I get to work with. Starbucks is great for the fact that they have great benefits such medical benefits, free coffee every week, free drinks during your shifts, and discounts as well. I'm sure every store and manager is different, but they have always given me the hours and work days that I need/want. One of the only negative things about the company is their wages. Their barista wages start at minimum wage and then increase twice a year.
Pros
medical benefits, discounts, free drinks while working
Cons
low wages
Not what I thought it would be
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC18 July 2017
Joined as an assistant with the promise of promotion within 6 months but have yet to see any movement. Asked for a transfer to a store closer to home and was moved further away.
Pros
Free beverage on breaks
Cons
No work life balance. Lots of OT
dynamic work envirionment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2017
starbucks is a great company and really takes care of their partners. IT does become challenging to have work life balance and the pay does not always match the level of dedication required to be successful in role. Starbucks has a variety of benefits available to employees and has recently increased the mental health benefit to 5000 per employee
Pros
free beverage while working, free pounds of coffee or tea a week
Cons
retail hours, work life balance, pay is dismal for what's expected of store managers
Amazing staff
Starbucks (Barista) (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB17 July 2017
The atmosphere was always welcoming and everyone was helpful and you really got to build a first name basis with the regulars. The management was a bit rough but other than that it was an amazing experience
Good team
Barista (Current Employee) –  North York, ON17 July 2017
Always helps employees feel comfortable and preform a safe working environment for employees. flexible, organized, and good management. preform good customer service skills.
Great company with massive room for improvement
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
Benefits aside, this company has room for improvement when it comes to the quality of people it brings on. Alternatively, that makes it a great job for people with little experience and aspirations to move forward. But the majority of people they hire, or promote far beyond the level of leadership displayed, are sorely lacking in any true initiative or leadership ability. And once a bad seed is placed too high above rest of the pot, it infects the rest of the batch and turns an entire store into somewhere customers don't enjoy going to.
Secondly, The corporation is weighed down by unnecessary policies and regulations that make it highly inefficient, and stymies any attempts to remedy certain practices that get in the way of better customer service and productivity. Creativity is ignored or told it can't be exercised "because policy", and improvements are never made. Not to mention that if a concern should arise, the lack of concern from management combined with the amount of red tape and different avenues in the corporate side of things results in your issue never seeing the light of day, and being ignored or forgotten for months, or even years.
Lastly, the benefits that are so highly regarded, although sizable in comparison to many other companies, are so scarcely announced or educated on (particularly the cut-off dates and windows of time they would need to apply for those stock opportunities or benefits packages in order to take advantage of them), that hardly any of the "partners" (employees) can fully utilize those plans.
Pros
Lots of breaks
Cons
Everything listed below
Mixture of many cleaning tasks and fun conversations with customers.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 July 2017
Requires a lot of cleaning and talking to people. If you're an introvert looking to be a bit more of an extrovert I would definitely recommend working at Starbucks. It's a good start and you meet a lot of people. Good majority of the time customers are fairly nice, except you will still have a rude customer every now and then. Then again, that's everywhere in the customer service industry. Company has great missions and values.
Pros
Smell of coffee and free drinks
Cons
Having to leave the store with incomplete tasks because you were too busy.
Fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2017
It is a busy job filed with many odd jobs but defiantly worth the people and experience. Id rate 9/10 for a days work of fun and customers are usually pretty great.

Want to know more about Starbucks?

Ask a question
Great for benefits
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2017
Starbucks can be a great environment and provide many opportunities
it can be overwhelming at times but it can also be rewarding
many growing opportunities
flexible, most of the time
benefits
Cons
management
layback environment but with highest expectation for professionalism
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC12 July 2017
work environment is very relaxing and easy going, attend work to have fun but at the same time, expectations all around was set at the highest end of the bar. constantly promote job culture which sinks into every barista's life style therefore to stay professional while having fun wasn't difficult.
Fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 July 2017
Super fun place to work. It starts off rocky, because there is alot you will need to remember, but once you get a hold of it, it is amazing! Truly and experience
More than a coffee shop
Barista (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC11 July 2017
Working at Starbucks is more than a coffee shop. To me, it was like having a home away from home. I was able to develop a great relationship with my customers and still carry those bonds past my job today when I see them around town.
Difficult if you have never been around an espresso machine
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2017
I didn't work at Starbucks long enough to be able to give a proper review. I definitely was unable to grasp working on the hot and cold bar, too many drinks to remember as well as steaming milk is seriously a skill. I was fortunate to have a great manager and team that tried their best to help me but I was still unable to feel confident enough to be a barista
Great culture, inclusive & respectful
Regional Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2017
Fantastic organization of learning and growth. Rewarding experiences of building lasting relationships with great people/employees and customers. High pace, rapid change and innovation.
Great place to work with some really friendly people.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 July 2017
Challenging and motivational company to work for.. always trying to get you to strive for your best. This is a great place to move up and forward in your career.
Loved Working Here...Except for the Manager
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 July 2017
I loved working at Starbucks, and I wish I still worked there, my only issue was the location where I worked due to a lot bad managers who didn't stay.
fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 July 2017
greeted customers, made drinks, engaged with customers, cleaned, brewed coffee, made garbage runs, restocked items, bussed tables. The management wasn't that genuine but the customers were usually always nice
Pros
free drinks
Cons
cleaning toilets
Company has great values
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 July 2017
When you have a great team with you, anything can be achieved. From sales goals to target food sales per hour. You learn a lot about moments of connections and the hardest part about brewing coffee was getting the filters apart.
benefits
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.