Starbucks
6,266 reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun place to work
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), toronto onJune 10, 2015
Pros: free coffee, drinks, and benefits
Cons: hard to find shift coverage.
I worked with amazing people in a fast paced environment that allowed me to hone my management skills. The hardest part is making sure everyone is happy, co-workers and otherwise.
great enthusiasm from management
Barista/ Store Supervisor (Former Employee), toronto onJune 9, 2015
I loved working at starbucks, it gave me a great opportunity to meet and connect with amazing people. It was my first job and one of the best ones. Everyday was a different and exciting new experience. The environment and support from my team members really got me through the difficult times. I would rate starbucks my top10 places to work.
The Job is fine. It's the boss I'm not happy about
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 8, 2015
I learned a lot in there. The job is fast-paced and I don't get easily bored with the job. The people I work there are fun to be with.
My boss is nice. However, she is not that diligent at her job. I always feel like she's not entrusting me with anything. It saddens me because I really want to show her that I can do them all and I can finish the things I need to do. If only she can give me the chance to prove myself to her.
A Great Company To Start Out With
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABJune 6, 2015
Pros: Free drinks and coffee, amazing discount, health benefits on part-time, you can sometimes feel like you're hanging out while making coffee on the side
Cons: Some stores open really early or are 24h, some store managers can change the feel, the occasional customer has an entitlement complex, wages aren't out-of-this-world (but many of the benefits offset the difference)
I loved my time at Starbucks, and I gained lots of valuable experience there. My manager was amazing, willing to help me grow and make sure I had a good work/life balance. He was always finding ways to help me grow, and the abilities I learned there are helping me in other positions now. The hardest part of the job is probably when a crazed customer wants life to be perfect, but they are few, unlike at a few other stores we could mention. On the flip side, I loved interacting with the customers and partners - I met lot's of neat people and gained some great relationships.
You may hear not-so-great experiences at Starbucks, but generally those are in the minority and because the store manager wasn't professional and didn't give the staff or customers time of day. Overall a great company, but definitely not my long-time career.
Fun Environment to work in
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2015
Make beverages for customers and make sure they leave happy. Also celan dishes and mop floor and clean other equipment to make beverages. Was really fun though
great work place for students
superviser (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, AB and West Vancouver, BCJune 3, 2015
Pros: free drinks on shift, stock options, and discounts
Cons: the only way to get fulltime is become a supperviser and thats why its good for students
Very good place to work in entry level position.They have great training and a very good atmosphere to work in. And that's why its a good job for students.
Fun place to work but needs to be paid more
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 2, 2015
Pros: Free drinks on work days
Cons: not enough pay
Starbucks is a fun place to work and is ideal if you are still in school. However, the pay isn't all that good for the amount of stress level and work you do. Especially if you are a shift supervisor.

I learned to remain calm in high stress leveled scenarios and how to meet customers needs/demands. I also learned to memorize the many drink combinations there are at Starbucks.

The hardest part of my job is to remain calm during stressful times and dealing with difficult people.

I enjoy my job overall though and love being in customer service.
It is a great experience of customer service
Barista (Current Employee), New Westminster, CanadaJune 1, 2015
Starbucks is a fantastic environment of working, and the co-worker 's interruption and costumer's connection are both experiences I am treasuring with.
Fun Atmopshere, Lack of Organization
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 29, 2015
Pros: Easy to advance to management positions
Cons: Not enough pay
Fast paced work environment with friendly co-workers. Very large turn-over rate, so there is a desperate need for organization, communication and motivation in the work place. Continued learning and improving my skills in multi-tasking, customer service and advancement to Supervisor and Management positions.
Great place to start
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 29, 2015
Pros: Free coffee markouts, Benefits, Customer Connections
Cons: Angry Customers, Long hours, understaffing
A typical day at work starts with morning customers needing their morning coffee. Very simple, as most will take their drink and go. The job is a very easy job to grasp, serve coffee and clean as you go. All while making sure the customer is happy with the service they received.

I've learned with the job is to never take anything or anyone that serious. At the end of the day you are serving coffee, and that's it. The customer connections, and benefits are just a bonus to a great company.

The hardest part of the job depends on the customers. They can make or break a day. You could have the best customers in the world come in, or regulars as we call them. But you could also have the worst customers who enter with a bad mood and patience for them is very thin. While we try our best to ensure the customers needs are met, there are those who just don't find anything satisfying.
good
barista (Former Employee), markham, OnMay 28, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: cautious of angry customers
best job to start off and pick, goes well and flexible with students.
awesome benefits and decent salary, can''t go wrong working here
Lively and exciting place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: Free drinks and whole beans.
Cons: Little support provided for dealing with extreme customers.
There is constant interaction with a variety of customers nearly every moment of the day where I've had to learn how to balance tasks with serving while keeping an upbeat attitude.

More than anything there was a need to very quickly learn how to balance a friendship with co-workers while being firm enough to delegate them to specific areas in order to maintain fast service throughout peak periods of the day.

The hardest part of this position is also the most rewarding which is dealing with customers. In severe situation you are confronted with overly intense and angry customers who want to berate you and in the more enjoyable customers who feel a connection well enough that they look forward to seeing you to discuss their day.
Not That Bad
Barista (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: free coffee, great benefits.
Cons: inconsistant hours
THe company itself has great benefits and many ideals (especially for students) but the experience depends on the customers, co-workers, and your boss.
fun fast paced exciting
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 26, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: long hours on feet
very fast paced
great energetic workmates
none stop learning
room for growth/advancement
great team overall
and management is awsome
fast paste and very productive
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 26, 2015
Pros: The people are great
Cons: leaving
New urban coffee culture.
Truly gives people a sense of fullfilment and ownership.

They take pride in there work and they deserve all that they receive. Starbucks is a company that has mastered the art of public service and hospitality.
Fun Working Environment
Certified Barista (Former Employee), Aurora, ONMay 26, 2015
Starbucks in Target was a great place to work. I was there when it first opened, so I go to set it up, but I was also there when it closed, so I got to take it down as well. For the 2 years I worked there, I learned a lot and grew a lot. I was a great experience, and if it hadn't shut down, I would still be there.
Working for Starbucks
Shift Lead (Former Employee), KirklandMay 26, 2015
Pros: Easy when you're in school, Easy Job
Cons: Long Shifts, Horrible Management, Demanding Customers, Horrible Scheduling
Working for Starbucks has been a good experience overall. I grew a lot in the company and it's really a fun place to work in general. That being said the management is HORRIBLE and most managers (Store & District managers) are INCOMPETENT !!! also come customers have really no life and are super annoying and make their drinks super complicated for no reason and most the time they don't even know what they ordered.
fast paced, fun place to work
Barista (Current Employee), calgary albertaMay 21, 2015
Pros: free drinks
I have a great manager at startbucks, she listens to her employees, and helps them when she can. She came in after our team was already established, she didnt try and change everything all at once, she asked for opinions and ideas. She does what she can to help us and that makes a huge difference.

The people I work with are a great team. We all work very well together and know what jobs people are best at. Even in the most difficult and busy times we always get the work done.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with and the regulars I get to see.

The hardest part of my job is the shifts because they are always fluctuating.
Good starting job.
Barista (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABMay 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible in shift availability, decent pay, busy
Cons: Understaffing
It doesn't matter what time of day it was, it was always busy here. The pay was decent and the hours went by really fast because there was always a large list of items that had to be done in a day. Understaffing was an issue sometimes. It was difficult to manage rushes when there wasn't enough staff. But all in all, it is a good job with shifts that cover everyone's needs.
Fast-paced fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: great people, fun environment, great benefits, coffee markout
Cons: not enough hours, too much food waste, no recycling
The store was undergoing a change in management when I was hired and my training was not a first priority on their level. I did not complete much of the computer-led training, but I had some great mentors on the floor and they made sure I was learning on the job.

At first the hardest part was memorizing the different recipes for drinks... and then changing the recipes based on customers' tastes. Once I had that recipes figured out it was easy to understand what each customer wanted.

I learned that communication on the floor is key in all situations, and you have to understand different partners' ways of communicating by always being present on the floor.

I was really disappointed by Starbucks' lack of respect for the environment. In the future I'd like to see them take a step towards being more green. Actually recycling the recyclables would be a fantastic start.

In the end the people you work with and the customers that you get to know personally really make the experience.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more