Starbucks Employee Reviews

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2015
A fun work place with supportive management. The team is selected perfectly where everyone gets along and everyone is there to help (taking shifts, trading shifts etc).

The management team is organized, friendly and coaches in a respectful manner. Nobody ever feels or has felt put down or condescending and everyone takes constructive criticism very well.

Overall, great place to work with. Continuing to work there part time. A plus that this company gives, on top of the benefits, job security, and culture.
Pros
Free stocks
Cons
wages
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 14, 2016
One of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had, working with young people who have unending energy, create laughter in the moment and teach the true meaning of life. Training is at the forefront of each promotion, ensuring you always feel supported and have the tools to succeed. Typical days always start with a great cup of coffee, the opportunity to connect, really connect with people and create an awesome experience for both youreslf, your team and your customers
Pros
Great Partner Discounts
great environment to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2015
the company is great takes care of its partners (employee's), you're team makes it a great place to work or stressful. management is good for the most part. Most enjoyable part, is working with partners that are great team members and outgoing people. one of the perks is meeting and connecting with new people, you never know who will walk through those doors. The most hardest part is mastering the art of customer service, or maybe even dealing with difficult coworkers.
Pros
free drinks before shift, during and after. and great benefits
Cons
rush hours get pretty hectic
Great culture, very forward moving company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Starbucks probably one of the best retail companies you can work for. Great (office level) benefits and pays fairly well as far as retail goes. They don't have unreachable standards and tend to hire people who only benefit the culture of the company.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Non-regulated breaks
Excellent
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Starbucks is amazing the benefits are great and the work hours are generous. The team makes the biggest difference though, I am constantly motivated by my team to do my very best.
Pros
benefits are amazing
Cons
hours can be odd
Starbucks
Shift Supervisor/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCOctober 16, 2015
I really enjoy working with Starbucks. They are keen on having their employees advance within the system. They offer many perks to augment the minimum wage salary.
A typical day for a shift supervisor would be managing the partners and the flow of customers. This would include running breaks and dealing with any potential problem and customer issues. Also a shift supervisor would be responsible for encouraging the partners to meet our daily, weekly and monthly goals.
Pros
Free coffee during breaks, Free 1lb of coffee or a tin of tea each week
Cons
Shift work
Warm and Genuine Culture
manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. There is a warm culture of genuinely caring about the well being of partners. Refreshing environment.

Overall rating lower based upon compensation package.
Good for students
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  VancouverDecember 21, 2015
Starbucks has great benefits and can work well if juggling school or a second job. Hours are typically not available to work full-time year round.
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
Varied hours, lack of communication in management
Great Company in Theory Only
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2015
The practices set by corporate are wonderful, but are often not followed through with at the store level, and are sometimes discouraged (WSIB claims specifically). The company recently has cut extra programs and benefits (Partner Appreciation Week specifically, a program that costs approx. $2mill.), citing too much expense, despite neting Billions of dollars in the previous calendar year. Other initiatives have been cut, including keeping orthopaedic floor mats, because they take too long to clean. There are also many flaws in the management system hierarchy, often leaving store managers grossly unmanaged, and leaving other partners in the store with no place to turn with complaints.
It's a Fun work place. But
Shift Supervisor/Key-holder (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 6, 2016
I love working at Starbucks. Love the people that I work with, the customers that I deal with. I would just like to say that maybe having to choose an option of having a higher Pay, rather than profit sharing, would benefit the partners who would love to stay with the Company, and also be eligible to potentially sign up for a car or a house or something that we can Tie into our names. instead of being paid "minimum".

The reason I would leave this company is for the reason of Job Advancement. Your Own manager will promise you a lot of things, and will make you think you are ready, and then you wait for things to start rolling. But nothing is actually going on still.
Had potential to be an enjoyable workplace IF managing staff was better
Barista (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Working at Starbucks seems like it would be a fun job, however, it was extremely fast-paced and required multitasking skills and the ability to work under stress. The only enjoyable aspect of the job was that I made some genuine friends, and most of my coworkers made the shift bearable. Management was a nightmare, and sometimes the floor would be improperly staffed, causing many problems and frustration among the entire team. The job puts a priority on how sociable an employee is and disregards how well the employee works.
Pros
30% discount on food, drinks and merchandise as well as free drinks during your breaks.
Cons
stressful work conditions, long hours sometimes without properly scheduled breaks, juggling multiple responsibilities sometimes without the help of coworkers, minimal people working at a time
Great work environment and fun experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work would be to make and serve coffee and food to customers waiting for their flight and also to employees working at the airport.

I learned that I am very good at memorizing information to give better service to customer when they need information about the menu. Also, I learned how to manage stress very well since we would get many rush hours a day.

Overall the management was good but still they had some issues when it comes to communication since there was too many different managers to manage different restaurants all around the airport.

I really enjoyed working with the co-workers I had a good team work with.

The hardest part would be when I would work harder if I was working with co-workers that would not want to work well.

The most enjoyable part was the work environment, with travelers from all around the world and fun co-workers to work with as a team.
Productive and fun place to work with great benefits
Barista (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, ABAugust 7, 2015
A typical day of work includes cleaning tasks and creating inspiring moments in each customers day, providing high quality beverages on a timely manner and acting with integrity and honesty to promote Starbucks culture. You need to respond to customers needs by constantly evaluating the environment and customers for cues. Management was ok, often wouldn't follow my availability but almost always corrected to it would. Co workers were amazing people. Very ease to connect with and to have a good time while working. Hardest part of the job was when customers would come to workers with questions regarding the app. We are not trained with the app so we had limited knowledge of the app and many clients got frustrated. Most enjoyable would be creating those inspiring moments every day and giving them their coffee they would need to get through the work day.
Pros
30% discount, benefits
Cons
schedules were often late and inaccurate to availabilities
Really likes My Collegues
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  41 Milner and other LocationsNovember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed my costumers they are great and still see some around and they have told me how much I am missed their. I really enjoyed working with people and helping them any way I can.

I really liked working at Starbucks and the people we nice to work with in the most part.
Pros
Great company benefits while working
Cons
to many nights and weekends
Fast-paced Atmosphere and Social
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2015
Working at Starbucks you are required to be fast, multi-tasking effectively and socially engaging. Customer interaction is an enjoyable part of working there - meeting great people and finding out more about their lives. Working along great coworkers and management is enlightening. Starbucks has great benefits and tuition reimbursement - even for part timers!
Pros
Benefits and customer interaction
Cons
On feet all day and pay
Great Environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, ABAugust 23, 2016
Starbucks has shown to me and all the other employees that they really care about each and every staff member. We are not called employees, but rather partners. We are all treated the same and with the same respect, whether you are a barista or a manager. No two days are the same, you have customer rushes at different times, you always have new drinks coming out and the customers every day are different, with the exception of our regulars. I have learned so many great skills, like working alongside people with a multitude of different personalities and work habits. I have enjoyed working with all of the people at my store, they make my day enjoyable.
New career and good opportunities to learn
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MississaugaOctober 16, 2015
Excellent training and emphasis on World Class Customer Service. New products, sometimes overwhelming. Super on health benefits and perks
Big Company, many to vie for fewer positions going up.
Fair amount of office politics but good partners in most stores.
Pros
Great on training and talent development, great perks.
Cons
Hard standing eight hours on end.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 13, 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Great place but not an easy job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 10, 2016
I'll come out with saying this is not an easy job. If you're considering working here, don't do it if you want an easy job. It is a mentally, emotionally and physically demanding job and you need to be ready for that. Having said that, I love working for Starbucks. The company treats you amazing, and you grow so close with your coworkers, it feels like family. It is a very rewarding job. I mean free coffee every week and free drinks? I'll take that every day. But great company to work for. Just be ready to work your butt off.
Pros
Free drinks, free coffee, amazing environment
Cons
Physically demanding, crabby customers