Starbucks

Starbucks Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work.
Barista (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJune 2, 2014
Great job, fun work environment, good benefits, good training program. Hardest part of the job is when you're first learning - lots of stuff to learn and takes a long time. Most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with customers while giving them great service. A bit upsetting because not a lot of hours to be given at my location.
Productive, fun, personable.
Barista (Former Employee), Dieppe, NBMay 31, 2014
Pros: free drinks
A typical day at work consisted of greeting customers, be they regulars or first timers and providing them with beverages on request or recommending beverages to those whom had not been to Starbucks before. I learned how to make coffee and how to work the machines on site. My manager was very friendly and understanding and my co-workers were always – more... a delight to be around. The hardest part of the job was learning to multi-task and keep an eye on many different things occurring simultaneously, such as the timer on the coffee machines/for the milk dispensers. The most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring that people left the cash register with a smile on their faces. – less
Very small workspace
Barista / Cashier (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLMay 29, 2014
I got to meet alot of new people , but the job itself was not for me, very little hours, and confined workspace
Loved the job
Barista (Former Employee), Waterdown, ONMay 26, 2014
Pros: great place to just hang out
Fun place to work.
really fast.
Hardest part is keeping the REALLY angry customers happy.
Co-workers for the most part are great.
Most enjoyable. Just going to work.
loved my job and my customers
Barista (Former Employee), Place Des Arts, Montréal, QCMay 24, 2014
Pros: free drinks per day
Cons: having to work with people who are incompetent
a typical day at work would normally involve me coming in and cleaning and stocking for at least the first 3 hours of my shift. And then for the rest of the shift cleaning and picking up after other people.

what i learned is you cant be a team player, if your manager isn't a good captain for this team. A store can only be as good as its leader.

unfortunately – more... the management at this store was by far some of the worst i have ever had to deal with. multiple mangers would tell you multiple things and they would hardly ever be on the same page.

the hardest part of the job was having to deal with the Starbucks team, because they were pretty horrible and all over the place.

the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to connect and make relationships with the customers and the regulars that came in. – less
fun workplace
BARISTA (Former Employee), Woodbridge, ONMay 23, 2014
amazing people and great place to work
its like working with family ...
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Love the environment working in Starbucks! Encouraging place to work and other co-workers are called partners.
star bucks shift supervisor
- friendly culture
- clean environment
- free drinks
- high demand
- require good time management, interpersonal, and communication skills
- require high energy level
- learn about coffee
Good place to work but requires extra effort when first starting out.
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2014
It takes a while to remember the recipes for drinks, and it would be better if the manager told me beforehand when I was going to be tested on drinks. Also if the certification test was not during the busiest hours of the day it would be appreciated. I believe more leniency is shown towards full-time staff members from my own experience.
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: decent job
Cons: minimum payment
Every day is a typical day at work, learned how to build a regular guest and delivering a professional customer service, management training and work environment is best can ever have to deliver the most delicious drinks. Nice coworkers, team work
High energy workplace with teamwork
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits, love my co-workers
Cons: pay is terrible for the amount of work we have to do.
I love working at Starbucks but I cant afford to work here anymore as I live on my own. My co-workers are sad to see me leave as I am one of the top supervisors in the store. My store manager, Cara Cser, would tell you the same. Last QASA audit I was supervising and got us a 96% which is very high. I have learned people skills working here, as well – more... as customer service and how to work all day with high energy. Hardest part of the job I would say is keeping the customers happy, while also supervising the team, making sure everyone is doing their tasks and keeping the store looking great so ensure customers come back. – less
Productive & very nice atmosphere to work in
Barista (Former Employee), Oakville, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, free drink every break, overall great company to work for
Cons: far from home for little hours
•Provide great and satisfying customer service to all customers and visitors
•Prepare and make quality beverages for all customers
•Take customer orders and process their order through the cash register.
•Kept customers informed on current & new upcoming promotions & sales.
Good on the job training
Barista (Current Employee), toronto, ontarioApril 29, 2014
Training here was pretty informative and helpful. Manager took the time to get myself familiarized with the work invovled. Co-workers are pretty young and most with no University Degrees. Hardest part of the job would be the constant making of different types of drinks during busy periods of the day. Most enjoyable part of the job is probably learning – more... various techniques and methods to make the beverages. – less
Everyday is a productive day working in Starbucks Philippines as a full time Barista
Full time Barista/ Cashier (Former Employee), Manila, P00April 23, 2014
You will not feel the tiredness and stressful work by making our customers happy by making them a perfect coffee and making our store as their third home place
Flexible, positive work environment
Barista/Shift Supervisor/Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 20, 2014
Cons: difficult customers, on your feet for most of shift
Worked there throughout uni and after. Very flexible hours, great benefits, tendency to connect well with coworkers, lots of opportunity for advancement.
Amazing!
Barista (Former Employee), Montréal, QCApril 16, 2014
Pros: free food
It has been quite an experience i enjoyed. i got most of my friends from there. you built amazing relationships with the employees and the customers.
Amazing Company
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2014
Pros: great advancement
Cons: little pay still for too much responsibilities.
A company that really sticks with the mission and vision. Learned the meaning of loyalty and management was my teaches. Co-workers started to be friends and the hardest part of the job is not to be sad on the job. The best memory is the wholeness of the company and each individual has its role and its recognize. Unfortunate is the low pay.
Once Great, Still Good
Barista (Former Employee), Prince George, BCApril 16, 2014
Pros: co-workers, free coffee, flexible hours
Cons: douche bag customers, restrictive dress code
I started my time as a barista in 2006, at a time when the company still felt fresh and vibrant, at least to me. What I loved about the company back at the start was the feeling that one could actually contribute to the company's direction, be it products, policies, or just overall success. There was a certain cachet to wearing the green apron back – more... then, or at least it seemed so.

I recall a company-wide management overhaul few years in (2009?) that really shook things up policy- and product-wise, and for me the sheen of the place never recovered from that. I was especially annoyed that upper management began to attempt micro-managing customer experiences because to me the freedom to create that experience based on the individual was the real Starbucks I had signed up for - connect, discover, respond.

Of course, 7 years is a long time to sling people's beans, and so perhaps my jadedness is more the result of overstaying my welcome than anything else, but at the end I was quite done with the sciolistic act you would get from customers.

The people are both the best and worst part of the job. Generally, the people behind the bar are some of the best you'll ever meet. There are some great customers, too, but unfortunately at the end of a long day it's the fatuous ones you remember, and since Starbucks makes its money by catering to the overindulgence of the North American ego I can only say that a lot of hebetating dolts end up coming to Starbucks for their affirmation. And a decaf triple soy half-sweet sugar-free hazelnut no foam extra hot extra drizzle caramel macchiato, which you will make perfectly but they will still find something to complain about for next time. – less
A high paced environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Horseshoe Bay, BCApril 15, 2014
In the peak summer season the workplace was buzzing and very fast paced and this made for a very fun day.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more