Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Sufficiently Average
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2016
This was my first job and as far as first jobs go, it was about average, pay was min. wage, hours were consistent and decent, and there was not too much to complain about.
Good company to work for.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 30, 2016
It is a great option for starting professionals.
You get a great deal on Customer service, team work and getting sense of urgency.
I wish, not only them, but all coffee shops would improve the wage increase rate, and increase the wage cap. It would make employees feel valued and stay for longer. It is very sad to see good employees leaving for another job because they don't earn enough.
Pros
Friendly, enjoyable
Cons
high employee rotation. long term employees are mostly undervalued.
Fun environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2016
Learned how to make drinks, and prepare food for customers to eat. Also learned communication skills among coworkers and customers as well. A typical day begins to become quite mundane as the routine is simple and not challenging. The hardest part of the job was simply to remember all the regular customers by name and their basic background because customer care is heavily encouraged.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Hours given are random and not consistent
Fast-paced and positive environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
I began working at Starbucks a year ago and I can't say I have many complaints. The employees at Starbucks are treated with respect and are constantly appreciated/encouraged by management.
My partners (co-workers) are reliable and always ready to work as a team. The atmosphere we work in is busy, fast-paced and sometimes frustrating, yet as a team we are able achieve success and always retain positivity.
Great Coworkers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ONMay 30, 2016
The job was straightforward, only challenge was dealing with large volumes of customers. The people you work with are usually friendly and helpful, just like you would experience as a customer.
They did require quite a bit of availability considering it was a part-time minimum wage job, and it was difficult to get long periods of time off even if business was slow and I wasn't necessarily needed.
Excellent Experience
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 30, 2016
Great place to learn and grow in a customer service career. Developed great work habits and customer relationships through working at Starbucks for a couple of years.
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 30, 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Fast paced, enjoyable atmosphere with long lasting customer connections
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 29, 2016
I learned a lot from working for Starbucks. It accustomed me to a great deal of responsibility as I was a shift supervisor. Fast paced, energetic environment that encouraged customer connections and a positive outlook on life. Great standards, great expectations and a high level of leadership skills. Granted me the ability to take initiative, delegate properly.
Pros
Free drinks, long lasting customer connections
Great job, good boss, and learned a lot.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Starbucks was my first job, and I learned a lot. I am still in contact with many of my coworkers and bosses. It was hard work, but it was very beneficial for my work ethic and initiative. I especially loved interacting with people, the only negative aspect about that is some of the customers did not share my enthusiasm.
Pros
Good cooworkers, and discounted drinks when on breaks.
Cons
Hours often changed without notification.
Great environment, friendly people
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBMay 19, 2016
The space is small and tight, it was fast paste and because we were alone it was harder. costumers would get impatient and upset at times.
The washing zones was hard on our hands, mine dried up and were then sensitive and i couldn't do the dishes quick, we couldn't wear the latex gloves provided because our boss was allergic.
Cons
working alone
Productive & Fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2016
At Starbucks you're always on the go! There's a good mix of people that work there as well as patrons. Starbucks does not discriminate and are very welcoming.
Pros
Benefits, advancement, education
Cons
n/a
Great place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 19, 2016
Really busy at times but fun place to work. Learnt how to make different types of coffees and great connections with customers. Overall I highly recommend working for Starbucks!
Pros
great life/work balance, free coffee
Cons
minimum wage
Great problem solving need and great to keep you busy.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  380 CoventryMay 18, 2016
Working at a drive-thru Starbucks can be crazy, especially in the winter mornings but thats what I loved about it. It was never a dull moment and the customers were great. I felt like I was an unintentional chemist, working with all the different drinks, the ways to make them. It was great despite some coworkers rubbing me the wrong way but in the end it all worked out.
Fast but Fun educational, and provides amazing opportunities.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCMay 17, 2016
Fast pasted, lots of customer interactions, cleaning, Visual merchandising.
I learned to keep up with the high demand with a happy happy smile on my face, also to know when and how to respond to a mistake with orders, through the BEST training I have EVER went through. I learned time management.
Co-workers are like the best part.
Hardest part is to learn that it is okay to take your time, because after time you become faster and faster.
Most enjoyable part is seeing our customers smile big, and of course free drinks.
Pros
Training, and free drinks plus discounts.
Cons
Can be over alot to begin with
A great place to grow
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMay 16, 2016
As a part time job for someone going to school this is a great place to work. I did not love the support I received as a manager but enjoyed my coworkers a lot.
Amazing experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 12, 2016
I loved working at Starbucks. The training was great, although there was a small learning curve to remember all of the products. I considered this to be hardest. Once I did, I enjoyed the customer service focused approach. The values of the company were very much in line with my own. Creating the drinks appealed to my artistic side, and I enjoyed developing strong relationships with the customer which made the business side of things.

I would definitely work for this company again.
Pros
Great training, good company values, great products
Cons
Busy Lineups, Customers Can Be Demanding
fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2016
very challenging but fun.
fast paste and customer experience is always world class.
leading by example is the standard. clean and tasting drinks.
Shift Supervisor
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
My manager was new and I was younger at the time. She micromanaged our employees. It was a very unpleasant time.

I never met the CEO so I can not comment.
Fun workplace!
Café Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 10, 2016
I only did my woerk expirence here but i really enjoyed it! I learned how to make fun drinks and they give partners free drinks on breaks!
Pros
free drinks!!
Cons
very busy!
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points