Starbucks

Starbucks Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
ok
Barista (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: hard ony our feet/ back
Pay for the amount of work is required isn't fair, lots of moving up and down and cleaning. But people are happy and most costumers are nice to be around.
Lots of fun if you don't mind being below the poverty line
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton ABJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free coffee, build a great social network, flexible hours
Cons: low wages for hard work
Like any retail job, a career at Starbucks starts with the thought of "hey, this isn't actually that bad". Depending what cafe you work in, you can float on that cloud of caffeine-induced illusion for anywhere up to a year. Unfortunately for most, disillusionment comes the minute a customer calls your manager to complain because you put twelve ice cubes in his drink instead of eight, like he asked. For me, that minute was on my first day. Since then, I endured four years of burns, verbal abuse, and pointless policy changes, but I stayed. The truth is, the good customers outnumber the bad ones, your co-workers become your second family, and most importantly, you get A LOT of free coffee. You also learn a lot of valuable skills, like how many frozen bananas it takes to break a blender and recognizing that look in someone's eye when they're about to take the lid off their hot beverage and throw it at you because you forgot to give them their croissant. Bodily harm aside, I'd rate my experience more on the positive side of things, but only because I'm still a student and I don't have to support myself on such a small wage.
So stressful place to work
Barista (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: good employee discuont
Cons: long hours and endless customers
Not pay well but have great employee discount and good break time,
Fast Faced environment while hand crafting beverages
Manager, Shift Supervisor, Barista (Current Employee), 25 The West MallJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: free drinks, 1lb of coffee per week
Cons: hours can be variable
Work on bar or till as needed, make drinks clean café, restock items. Learned a lot about coffee and detail cleaning of machines.
Management is extremely understanding gets along with employees.
Very laid back and easy to socialize with.
Finding things to clean when slow, or having enough partners when busy.
Hand crafting drinks and talking to customers
Productive, Busy, Stressful,
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Burlington, OnJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free lunches and product, discounts, coffee, good networking (with customers)
Cons: long days, no days off
i was a manager
the pay did not match the work that was expected of me
the management was not well organized
Easy to excel if you worked hard
Decent job and productive.
Cashier/ Barista/ stock (Former Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 4, 2015
I loved the job and the company. The hours weren't bad but the staff and management wasn't the best.
Productive and very fun workplace with advacement
Shift Supervisor & ASM in Training (Former Employee), Durham RegionDecember 18, 2014
Pros: free drinks and staff discount
I was employed with Starbucks for a few years during university and I loved it. Definitely one of mt favorite jobs. I started as a barista, just barely drinking coffee and nearly became an ASM before moving on. At Starbucks you are always working as a team with your co-workers. As a supervisor it was I always encouraged staff to work together to help drive sales and surpass store targets. The hardest part of the job was coaching partners when approached with unhappy customers. The best part of the job was having happy and friendly people to work with well delegating tasks and seeing the stores develop into communities.
Fun workplace when with the right people
Barista (Current Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 17, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: horrible managers
I loved the environment I worked in. Fast paced and exciting but frustrating at times. My fellow baristas were great and always happy but all the managers that work for the company lacked the people skills that are the foundation of what starbucks os built upon.
Fun Place to work while adhering to the rules
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 15, 2014
Making drinks for everyone can be fun, the job is entertaining and involves a person who is always on the move. It's a job that helps you balance life and work and has many benefits, along with this it gives you the skills to provide great customer service during stressing environments. Great company1
Fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee and a free 1lb bag every week
Cons: cleaning the oven
I lreally enjoyed working there. I got to move to quite a few stores and got to know a lot of people. I loved the atmosphere and getting to my customers. I learned a lot while i was there for ex. P&L how to do scheduling and inventory counts monthly. The hardest part was trying to move up in the company and sometimes the not so nice customers.
Fun working environment!
Supervisor (Former Employee), St. John's, NLDecember 3, 2014
Was fortunate to work with a wonderful crew of people and made some life long friends while working there. The pay wasn't bad for what the job requires and the hours were flexible which is great for students. Would recommend this job, 100%.
Work
Barista (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 3, 2014
Pros: free drink 30 percent discount
Cons: odd hours
It a nice place to work if you want to meet people. You learn how to deal with people in a regular basis. Since there are High turn over rate a new manager comes in every 1 to 2 years. Very stressful environment. The hardest part of the job is trying to please customers, and make drinks as quick as possible in peak hours and seasonal. The best part of this job is that you get 5 free drinks during your shift.
Busy
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Squamish, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: connecting with people, social, perks and benefits
Cons: lots of hard work, can be stressful, misunderstandings and miscommunication happen, things can get disorganized and chaotic quickly, have to be prepared as best can while it's possible
- Lots of challenges
- Rewarding
- Lots of social, communication, and people skills development
Fun workplace
Certified Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Montreal, QCDecember 1, 2014
I loved working at Starbucks because we were right next to a school. A lot of my customers were people my age and so many of them were regulars and we became friends outside of work. I became a lot more comfortable talking to people I don't know, and learned a lot more tricks to give good customer service and work quickly.

I loved my boss because she trusted me with responsibility but knew when to take control of a situation and tell me what needed to be done. It was a good balance.
N/A
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCNovember 27, 2014
This review has already been submitted and some aspects were good while working here and some aspects were not good.
Laid back workplace with a good heart
Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 26, 2014
Pros: discount, free coffee every week
My typical day at work includes serving customers food and beverage at their request, doing daily maintenance tasks, and providing a 3rd place for people to spend their time.

I learned a great deal about coffee, and how to make a perfect espresso or frappuccino beverage every time.

Management was very relaxed, but still had a good enough grasp of the situation to keep the store profitable.

My coworkers are like family, they are dedicated and very caring people.

The hardest part of the job is the pay.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a customer smile when they enjoy the beverage you just made them.
Fast-paced and fun
Advanced Store Trainer and Lead (Current Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves a lot of interaction with customers. Customers are highly valued at Starbucks and creating more regulars is our goal. I learned how to make many signature beverages and I learned how to pay attention to detail. I learned how to manage a team, place orders, and organize inventory.
So much fun, but not enough money.
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 21, 2014
Pros: free coffee during breaks, good discounts
Cons: not enough hours, low wage
I'm having so much fun working at Starbucks right now. We are a very tight group of people who are also friends outside of work. Though sadly this job does not pay me well enough to be able to live like I would like to. I can barely afford an apartment and groceries.

Sometimes it's stressful, but it is a lot of fun. It's actually part of our job to connect with the customers and talk to them.
Fun and enthusiastic work environment
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2014
Working at Starbucks has been an enjoyable experience. It allows me to meet new people on a daily basis and engage with people I wouldn't necessarily engage with if I worked elsewhere. My co-workers and my manager encourage fun in the workplace while also maintaining a high expectation of customer service.
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCNovember 18, 2014
Company has changed since 2010. Less flexibility for students, etc. Left before policy changes were announced so maybe things got better.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more