Starbucks

7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It's a fun place to work, great staff, good benefits, and flexible hours.
Barista (Former Employee), Burnaby, B.C.July 28, 2014
Pros: happy work environment
Cons: lack of full-time hours, and minimal compensation.
Starbucks is a great place to develop customer service skills as well as social skills. It has very flexible hours, and a lively atmosphere. A typical day at work involves cash and customer handling, making a variety of beverages, some dish washing and store cleanliness is involved throughout the day. I learned how to be in several places at once, as I worked in one of the busier locations at Metrotown. It was an exciting and energetic atmosphere. They have a very thorough training procedure and the staff are helpful and kind. Our manager was very laid back and considerate of employees personal lives. He trusts the staff with the well being of the store and was very understanding. The coworkers I had a Starbucks were some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of working with. They are very supportive, and offer coaching when needed. It has a very strong family vibe to it. The hardest part of working at the Metrotown location was the size of the facility, as it was very small and very busy. There were often not enough places to fit customers during our rushes. The raises could be better. They offer competitive wages, but start you at minimum wage, and you get a 10-16 cent raise once every six months. The most enjoyable part of Starbucks was definitely the working environment, very friendly, very social, very happy place to work. I also loved the flexibility with scheduling.
Fun, fast-paced environment to work in
Barista, Barista Trainer, and Cashier (Current Employee), North Vancouver, BCJune 25, 2015
Pros: Free drinks on-shift and a 30% discount on all food items or if you aren't on-shift
Cons: Lack of communication between management and employees
A typical day at Starbucks includes: cleaning, putting sticker dates on items in order to note their expiration dates, setting up the food case and putting items on display for customers, warming up food items for customers, recommending new drinks or food items to customers, handling cash transactions, recommending merchandise or coffee beans for customers to purchase, reporting to supervisors or management, answering phone calls, preparing handcrafted drinks, and connecting with customers from the second they step in the door until the second they leave the store.

The manager is very friendly and approachable.

My co-workers are fantastic people all around. Some workers are a bit faster than others which is really beneficial during large rushes of customers.

The hardest part of my job is trying not to visibly stress out. It's a very fast-paced job, and sometimes it is very hard not to take things personally if there is a customer complaint. In no way do I get defensive, but I tend to "let things get to me". I offer the best solution to customers, which may include a future store credit for a free drink, or offering to remake his/her drink if I accidentally didn't make it correctly or to his/her standards.
Most wanted job has a lot of perks, but isn't lacking in faults
Barista and Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: benefits, flexible dress code, free food and drink, raises every 6 months
Cons: lack of positive feedback, impossibly high sales expectations
Working at Starbucks is an amazing experience where you meet the best people to work with and the customers are wonderful 90% of the time. It's a challenging job, yes, but I wouldn't say hard to do. You're surrounded by a great support network within the company. Benefits, pay, and job security are all fairly good. Unfortunately, the expectations held by the suits in the head office are ridiculous the majority of the time. The strictness of cutting labour hours but increasing sales really decreases the morale in the team due to the constant feeling that we're failing and going nowhere with our goals. Depending on the location you work at, you don't often receive positive feedback about your work ethic and instead, get negative feedback a lot of the time. Many times I've wondered, 'why do I bother?' All in all, in a job market as bad as ever, this is a great place to work. Like any job, there will be some downfalls, and this one has few of them, but the few that it has are general and encompassing enough to make an 8 hour shift feel like a week.
A very flexible but fast paced work environment with a fantastic group of benefits.
Shift Supervisory (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: free drinks, free pound of coffee or box of tea per week, discount on all merchandise.
Cons: stressful busy periods, mind numbing slow periods
I worked at Starbucks as a shift supervisor for about 3 years. The day to day work was the same, but the environment you did it in changed hourly. As it turns out customers in a high end community get really aggressive when they are without coffee for an extended period of time. My biggest complaint boils down to the upper management just not caring about the little guys. The district managers were constantly harassing the employees during peak hours about pointless issues that compltely destroyed all forms of productivity. The hue of someones shirt was slightly off white, well we better send them home during the nine o'clock rush. That being said, as a full time employee, I enjoyed a wide variety of benefits. Including gratuity stocks, dental and health, eduction reimbursement, and others. Most managers I encountered were also incredibly understanding of school schedules making the company great for part time employees attending high school and post secondary.
Fun, fast paced environment, excellent for part time employment
Store Manager (Current Employee), CalgarySeptember 23, 2014
Pros: benefits, stock options, free beverages while working, free pound of coffee each week
Cons: work/life ratio
A typical day at work involves arriving in the morning and having 30 minutes to get the store set up to open. The expectation is to be open 10 minutes before posted time and stay open 10 minutes after posted closing time. Mornings are busy with customers on their way into work. There is something to be learned every day, whether it's a new policy or getting to know a new customer. Store managers are told to run their stores as if it's their own business, however, district managers visit on a weekly basis to coach and provide guidance. Store managers in each district work to help each other out with daily issues whenever possible. The most difficult part of the store managers position is staffing. It is difficult to find time off the floor to conduct interviews and do hiring/training. Work/life ratio for a store manager is also a stressful issue as managers are required to work as many hours as needed for their store's successful operation. If coverage cannot be found for a partner calling in sick, or not showing up, the store manager is required to come in to cover the shift. You are told not to log the extra hours in the computer and only get paid for 40 hours. No time off in lieu is given for extra time worked. The most enjoyable part of the position is the partners you get to work with, and the customers you get to know.
Huge revolving door
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2013
Pros: free drinks during break
Cons: managment, hours, pay, lack of apprecation
Typical day.
Wake up at 4am to start at 5am and open the doors at 5:30. Not much time to get things organized.
You end up ruining the night before because what can you really do when you have to be at work at 5am?
The day is inevitably ruined as you most likely will take a nap. To top it all off you are only getting paid minimum wage. there is no grave yard shift pay. 24 hour starbucks do not seem to care that a 10pm-6am shift is difficult especially if your schedule is not uniformed.

Management hire you looking for creative and "individual" types then come down on you when you express yourself. The next level up from Barista, called a Shift, bare too much responsibility and do not adequately get compensated.

Co-workers make this job bearable, unless you are working with a manager, as they like to micromanage you to insure cookie cutter image is presented.

The hardest parts of the job are:
1) Highly irregular hours,
2) Schedule not posted with adequate time (Wednesday before the following week)
3) Putting up with nonsensical issues, management and customers alike.
Flexible work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), OntarioOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Free weekly coffee mark-outs, benefits, stock options, flexible work schedules
Cons: Periods of high volume which can result in stressful situations, pay is not reflective of the work load nor the education that the collective staff posses, required to work weekends and holidays.
The company has changed significantly since I began my journey several years ago, one thing that has not changed is the flexible work schedule (very accommodating for those attending post secondary) good benefits and the company's encouragement to slow down and get to know the customers. The hardest part of the job would be the company's new directive to obtain obscenely high food sales and the pressure that comes down from upper management. I've been with this place for a long time and the experience overall has been positive, the most enjoyable part of the job would be the amazing co-workers that I've had the opportunity to work alongside and the lasting friendships I've made. The customers are also a highlight, I have met people from all walks of life, of course I have come across some awful individuals (it is customer service after all) but the majority of people are pleasant and polite. This job has taught me key leadership skills and the ability to effectively interact with the general public.
Fun, Welcoming and Laid Back
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 8, 2014
Pros: free beverages and weekly mark out (1 lb of coffee or tin of tea each week).
Cons: early mornings, rude customers.
My time at Starbucks was spent working with a wide variety of people and interacting with a wide variety of customers. While our days often began at 5 am, the team you worked with made it worthwhile. Getting to know the regular customers was one of my favourite things, and often made dealing with the nasty customers easier. Morning rushes could often be stressful but with proper deployment and competent staff, flew by in a breeze, but those who are not accustomed to working in a fast paced environment will easily fall behind.

The best and worst part of this job is most definitely the people; you will interact with some amazing people and as a result will learn more than the job itself could ever teach you. On the other hand, some customers can be unnecessarily nasty and vindictive. Every barista will have a plethora of stories about crazy customers. This job embodies the phrase "When they're good they're great; When they're bad they're horrid". All in all, I loved working at Starbucks and would recommend the job to students, coffee lovers and anyone who has a knack for people.
Loving what you do.
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: free drinks before after every shift and during every break. 30% off, benefits. rrsp programs, stocks, shares. flexible hours
Cons: poor scheduling by management, inconsistant amount of hours recieved week by week
Having worked at Starbucks from 2003-2007 as a shift supervisor and able to return in 2011 when choosing to go to college. I believe that Starbucks did provide me with the best opportunities to develop myself into a great management level employee. The first round I was well trained and the resource material was readily available. I strived to advance, but being in a smaller town didn't see the opportunity to do so.
Now having returned I find myself being the odd person out when getting excited about a new blend of coffee. Or explaining to a customer or even partner about the perfect pairing of a coffee and particular pastry. The legendary experience that I provided before only tends to happen with regular customers. I'm old school. Most chnages are good but I feel Starbucks has lost their identity and become more of a fast food outlet. Especially with the introduction of ovens into the stores. I miss the real 3rd place experience Starbucks provided before.
Over all I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent working for Starbucks.
Barista (Former Employee), Dieppe, NBJune 24, 2014
Pros: decent hours, free lunches, friendly coworkers and constant socialization.
A typical day at work consisted of preparing beverages or pastries for customer purchase, while ensuring that they left the cash register with a smile. Sometimes I would sing while working and sometimes I would end up making a new acquaintance, but each day was guaranteed fun.
I learned how to prepare the basic coffees, teas and whipped creams. I also learned the steps required to close the venue down at the end of the night.
My manager was a very friendly individual whom tried to give me as much flexibility as required at the time, though I admit that I could have been a lot more available.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with minor stresses or illnesses that I had at the time of employment, due to climate change (Florida to Canada) and occasional sickness or ailments that I was overcoming at the time. Sometimes I found it a little bit difficult to multi-task, but I believe that I would have got the hang of it had I worked there a bit longer.
The most enjoyable part of the job would definitely have to be the daily socialization and being able to make people smile, even if a simple smile or "hello" was enough to brighten their day.
Flexible workplace!!! Every student's dream job!
Barista/Trainer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 30, 2013
Pros: positive working environment, discounts on merchandise, great source of network building and meeting new faces.
Cons: physical strain
I have enjoyed my time at this company from day 1. I was not only concerned about getting a job to pay off my tuition loans but I was enthusiastic about working in an environment where support and positive reinforcement were readily available, where management stands by one principle and that is satisfaction of its employees which is passed on to its customers. A typical day would start off at 5:30 am, where we would prepare ourselves by setting up the espresso machines, sanitizing, putting together our patio, and planning ahead for the unfolding of the days events. The hardest part of the job is probably the physical aspect from lifting heavy cartons of milk to pulling out a bag of coffee grinds from a bin. The most enjoyable part are getting to meet new people by the minute and being able to share an experience with them, also known as 'The Starbucks experience'. This is more of a personal incentive and satisfaction that i get from being able to create this experience into one that makes them to want to come back and re-live that experience.
the days vary, so it definitely isn't boring
Senior Supervisor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 28, 2012
Pros: great staff and overall clientele, flexible work schedule, pace and variety of work
Cons: lack of structure, little to no room for growth and advancement, no benefits, outdated equipment (these cons are associated to the store/location i was currently employed with)
The days as mentioned vary from day to day, but depending on the time and weekday, you can expect different responsibilities and clientele. Throughout my 7 years, I've learnt to handle difficult situations, whether it be with my staff or customer(s), to work through high-stressed times with a calm and cheerful outlook, multi-task numerous tasks and completing them successfully and efficiently, but more importantly, I've learnt to be a positive role model to others. I enjoy interacting with my peers and loyal customers, sharing stories, laughing, suggesting a new and off-the-menu beverage, to name a few. I've built many great friendships throughout my time and Starbucks, and that is something I am quite thankful for. The most difficult aspect of the job would have to be knowing no matter how great an effort you put into your work, that your dedication goes unrecognized and undervalued.
Fast-Paced, energetic, fun, onn-going
Cashing & customer service (Current Employee), Square One Shopping MallOctober 15, 2015
Pros: free coffee!
Cons: long line rush
During the time that i have worked at Starbucks coffee i have learned a lot. I have become a more experienced customer interacter. By this I mean that i have been able to considerably create bonds with my daily customers, building relationships with them, and having a nice talk or laugh when they are on their way to their busy day. I have also experienced a great deal of team work and communication with my co-workers. We work together in harmony to make sure our customer have the best experience and service at our store each time they come by.
I have mastered the action of multi-tasking and fast-paced working. Since Starbucks is a well known company, we get many loyal and daily customers who are commited to the customer to partner relationships and bonds they have built over time.
Working at a fast - pace while maintaining a good self impression is something very important for each partner. We wana make sure that our customers know we are happy to serve them and help them make their days a lot better.
Susaining a oupositive attitude towards our customers and any given struggle or situation is one of our goals as partners at Starbucks. It is something we must constantly work for everyday that we step on the floor.
Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free coffee daily, No weekend shifts, Great benefits, and a Overall great company to be employed by
Cons: Lack of hours due to poor scheduling, Hourly wage was quite low and seeing the amount of waste of food.
This job was so outstanding on so many levels;

I created friendships for life with my fellow baristas and customers
Loved engaging
Always learning something new such a drink ideas
Always room for growth.

A typical day at work would begin very early to open the store at 5:30 am. I would begin by brewing coffee in the proper order, placing all the fresh pastries in the show case. I would then get my till ready making sure the cash was correct and the make sure all the syrups and teas where prepared for the morning rush. From 7 am till 9 am I would be on the till ringing in customers orders and collecting pastries. After this time I would take a break to then begin sanitizing and organizing the pastry case for lunch menu items while serving new customers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult customers but was also a great learning experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around my regular customers and creating new beverages with my fellow baristas. We got very creative.
A Great Company To Start Out With
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABJune 6, 2015
Pros: Free drinks and coffee, amazing discount, health benefits on part-time, you can sometimes feel like you're hanging out while making coffee on the side
Cons: Some stores open really early or are 24h, some store managers can change the feel, the occasional customer has an entitlement complex, wages aren't out-of-this-world (but many of the benefits offset the difference)
I loved my time at Starbucks, and I gained lots of valuable experience there. My manager was amazing, willing to help me grow and make sure I had a good work/life balance. He was always finding ways to help me grow, and the abilities I learned there are helping me in other positions now. The hardest part of the job is probably when a crazed customer wants life to be perfect, but they are few, unlike at a few other stores we could mention. On the flip side, I loved interacting with the customers and partners - I met lot's of neat people and gained some great relationships.
You may hear not-so-great experiences at Starbucks, but generally those are in the minority and because the store manager wasn't professional and didn't give the staff or customers time of day. Overall a great company, but definitely not my long-time career.
Good Life Experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Run into any former long time Starbucks employee and you'll share a special bond. This is the hardest place I've ever worked, and I was in the infantry for 2 years. At least when you join the army, it's understood that you'll be treated like complete s#!t. At starbucks, they want to push this idea of the "third place" where its an extension of your living room and you feel at home. Well, you night feel like home but the barrista sure doesn't, because they have to make the coffee, run the cash register, mop the floors, clean the dishes, clean the toilets up after homeless junkines, all for minimum wage. How do they manage to get all this from their employees? the same way any oppressive organization does it, get the people to police themselves! your coworkers are much more ruthless than managers will ever be. I don't regret my year and a half working there, because it was honest work and I learned a lot, but don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be some easy part time job while in school.
Overall good job.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of benefits, working with people all day, good break times, better then usual pay.
Cons: A "mean-girl" environment, lots of restrictions about uniform, management wasn't the best.
My review on the company is sort of biased. I've loved the idea of working at Starbucks since I was 12-13. Of course, being that age, I couldn't necessarily work there. When I got a call back when I turned 16 I was honestly thrilled. Our manager at the time Vik, was great. He wrote me a personal development plan so the day I turned 18 if I was still with the company I would be shift manager or assistant manager. We currently have a new manager Kamilah and she isn't the most professional. She mostly just sits in the back room. So I'm leaving, which makes me sad but it is what it is. At the end of the day, Starbucks is a great company, but the management just isn't for me. Now it is understandable that you aren't going to always love your boss, but it became a very cliquey workplace and extremely unprofessional. I love the majority of my co-workers and it's a fun place to work. I just need to branch out.
Best part time job can get
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2013
Pros: free coffee/tea each week, management is well organized, co workers are usually mature and respectful
Cons: pay is a little low compared to many others
I have no fantasy about part time jobs, but who wouldn't want a fun place to work where people do get along and is cooperative.
- come in to work, get assigned to a task, start closing tasks like sanitizing small wears and cleaning the espresso machines, sweep and mop the floor, set up pastry case for next morning, clean oven, greet customers, customize their drinks
- I learned new knowledge about coffee, espresso, tea, and Starbucks company in it self, that work and the relationship between co workers are different from friends or fellow students at school/church
- management is well run. Shift supervisors are very organized in orienting tasks among team members, managers/ assistant managers tries to be flexible with hours, co workers are respectful of each other and their assigned tasks
- closing (since it was switched to 10pm from 9pm) - going home late
- well organized duty distribution, breaks, respectful team members, making drinks, getting to know people
Friendly, productive, intense work place with amazing co-workers who always have time to help each other out.
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: unpredictable hours
Typically I open at Starbucks, I have to set up the pastry case, date all of the food, organize and set up the food and drinks in the fridge, clean the floors behind the counter and help out my other co-worker with her opening duties. All of this is done between 6-6:30 am. After that we open doors, serve the regulars that come in daily on their way to work, then on comes the mall rush at around 8/8:30. Around that time our second person comes in so then breaks start being run which we have to space accordingly to shift length and customer count at the time. Each of us have our own assigned positions which frequently switch depending on the situations so we all have to be excellent at all of the jobs behind the counter so that we cant easily move around to help out where help is needed. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the customers and keeping high accuracy to avoid the need to re-do things. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing and speaking to each person who comes in, learning their usual orders and keeping up to date with whats new in their lives.
Everyday is a brand new day with excitement and a new experience.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), 1909 Yonge Street, Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment! Free Drinks! Lovely customers!
Cons: Sometimes there are some hard labours!
In this company, I learned to mix and mingle with varieties of people, and learned how to treat them and cooperate with them. I have learned to handle individuals in a most polite and friendly ways. Also, I have learned to manage the team and the coworkers in a most efficient way. Along with the district managers, our management team was way beyond the level of excellence. We were always supporting each other, and were always trying to come up with the new ideas to make things better in the work environment. The hardest part of the job was the job itself. Since the job is person to person business, where we deal with the services, not the products, I always kept my smile on in order to make everyone around me happy. Although I am an exuberant smiley individual, I sometimes had hard times, and it was not easy to keep the smile up. However the most enjoyable part of the job is that I felt loved by the customers and coworkers as they always cared about me, which gave me an warmth of a home. Starbucks became my second family.
Revenue