Starbucks

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun
Barista/Shift supervisor (Former Employee), VancouverNovember 8, 2014
It was great working as a shift supervisor. The team is what made the difference. I felt like we were part of the same team and with the same goals. It can be tough at times but the human interactions is what makes it all better.
fun workplace when dealing with customers and making world class drinks
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 2, 2014
Pros: free drinks, discounts
Cons: very busy store
Starbucks serves world class coffee and food and cleanliness is a vital quality that is very important to many customers.

Customer service is excellent and coworkers are helpful in many aspects while working.
Decently fun place to work if in need of a part time job
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2014
It was a good part time job, definitely not something i would want to do fulltime unless i was desperate
Incredible Work Environment
District Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great work culture, good work life balance / challenging / fun
Cons: salary
Incredible Culture, people truly come first in this company.

The leadership is inspirational and extremely functional. I highly encourage all job seekers to experience Starbucks first hand.

Team is alway upbeat, incredibly fun, and extremely challenging. It is never the same day twice.
Fun workplace
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2014
Pros: 30% discount
- Great work culture
- Decent corporate rewards and benefits
Productive and Skill building environment.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: sore feet
A typical day at work would be getting to work for 5 am, refilling the pastry case, turning on the coffee machines, brewing coffee, making handcrafted beverages, taking customers orders, heating sandwiches in the oven, recommending new products, and asking for names for drink cups. I learned how to make some pretty delicious beverages, I learned the – more... proper way of tasting coffee which made me enjoy it even more then I had before, I also learned how to work as a team to get things done fast. The management was good, always fixing any issues the partners may have had. I worked with a lot of great co-workers (Partners) we worked as a team to get things done efficiently. The hardest part of the job was constantly being on your feet. The most enjoyable part of the job was making people happy, and getting to know so many of our regulars, – less
Great work environment and great customer service.
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond BCOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free coffee and great medical and dental benefits.
Cons: long hours
I learned what it was like to work for a company, many rules which are easy to abide by. I enjoyed the benefits as well.
Great first job to be at and lots of benefits at Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee), Lloydminster, SKOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free drinks, great wage, awesome staff
Cons: long hours, short staffed, busy, and hard to book time off
A typical day at work is fun. The customers are awesome. I learned how to work well under pressure. The management at the moment is awesome. We currently don't have a manager but we are getting one. The co-workers are great, obviously every job does have some conflict with them but not for me. The hardest part would be the long hours and that we are – more... short staffed mostly. The most enjoyable part would be the connection you have with the customers. I love ot!! – less
Fast paced, free coffee, and discount on books!
Hospitality Representative/ HR Consultant (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Very busy work place!

I learned a lot at working at Starbucks. The management/leadership teams were provided with great training - Foundations of Leadership and Best Hiring Practices. This is just the tip of the iceburg for all that I learned while working as a Manager for Starbucks.

I had great managers that did not micro manage situations or people. – more... They were always supportive and knew the business inside and out.

I had great co-workers. We worked as a team and were resources for each other, and the business.

The job as Manager was a great job to have! The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing team member move on to great things and big careers. – less
Great People. Great Values. Uninspiring Leadership.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2014
Pros: free drinks.
Cons: shift work. it's still retail.
A very top-down organization. The best idea will usually not win. New directions are not discussed and not viewed through the lens of those who are on the ground having to execute.

The stated corporate values attract great people but when that comes up against business measurable realities, the values are overlooked and the bottom line rules.
Best job I've ever had.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: discount, flexible hours, encouraged individuality
Cons: false promises
Like most people, Starbucks was a job I took because I needed it. I kept it because I loved it. The customers and the partners were both amazing. The skills I already possessed were given the opportunity to grow while I worked here.
Great culture, fun work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), VancouverOctober 7, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work life balance
This is not a back room management position or run of the mill store manager job. It’s being on the front line, connecting with customers and partners. It’s the opportunity to develop your own team, hiring and welcoming new partners and future leaders for your store.
typical day at work
Barista (Former Employee), oakvilleOctober 6, 2014
Pros: discount on food and drinks
Cons: breaks
I would sign in say hello to my coworkers, ask my manager what job I would be performing for the day and get on it.
Overworked, underpaid
Supervisor (Former Employee), OakvilleOctober 2, 2014
Pros: medical and dental (if you make the deadlines, twice a year)
Cons: hours, pay
I was fortunate to be in a store with great co-workers and a great manager, however the expectations and workload for the amount of money (minimum wage) was ridiculous. Typically the floor is run with one supervisor and two Baristas (ideally). Opening means you're at work at 5am and typically work until 1:30pm. Closes start at 2pm and end at 10:30pm. – more... At 7am the morning rush starts and hopefully you have three people working, it will last 1 to 2 hours ending around 8:30-9am If you work at a busier store it never really ends. Following the morning rush you have the lunch rush, which is really based on your proximity to a high school (we had two). Finally there is the evening rush which is usually after dinner and if you work at a "slow store" your probably gonna see very few customers coming in after 7:30pm.

Side Tasks
-----------------
While you're ringing through endless drink orders and your fellow barista is making these drinks you're expected to maintain the pastry case rotate coffees every 30 minutes (which means you're brewing coffee every 10 minutes) clean the entire store, bus tables, stock the condiment stand(s) maintain the bathrooms, clean the dishes, Urnex the coffee urns, heat sandwiches, stock ice, mop the floors and mats in both the cafe and behind the counter, and stock RTDE (the fridge with the sandwiches and juices). Supervisors must delegate and assist with all these tasks as well as run breaks, complete food and coffee orders, balance tills, drop tips, count in and out of the safe, and run the deposits to the banks daily, as well as daily inventory and markout counts. Furthermore there are setup days for new seasons, full inventory counts, and QASA (Quality Assurance) audits. Closing entails sanitizing the entire store as well as stocking and cleaning the bathrooms, taking out all of the garbage and putting away the food order for the next day, which will also be dated with expiration stickers. These are all considered to be the "side tasks" as your main focus is the customer no matter how ridiculous an order or request (but that's the service industry).

Wages
----------
Barista: Minimum Wage ($11/hr)
Supervisor: $13/hr

My store was fun because of the people I worked with, however I have been in some horrible stores. – less
I loved Starbucks
Barista, Shift Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2014
Just the energy of the place and work culture are impressive, dynamical. I wish there was more income stability for the average employee.
overall excellent
Barista (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: fast working environment
Cons: no appreciation
you feel happy when there are lots of customers visiting your store and u try your best to work quicklyy and give them quick and best service possible
Productive & fun work environment with excellent benefits and good salary.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: salary & benefits
Cons: long hours, sometimes up to 10 days without a day off.
Overall, Starbucks is a wonderful place to work. The salary and benefits package is good. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with your regular customers.
fun
Barista (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABSeptember 28, 2014
good place to work if you like coffee as there is free coffee once a wee
Fun Job
Barista (Former Employee), Fort McMurrary, AlbertaSeptember 27, 2014
I worked at one of the busiest Starbucks and it was great.

We had a blast and worked hard. I learnt a lot working here.
Fast Paced Job with Benifits
Store Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long hours
Starbucks is an OK place to work the benefits are good the compensation is reasonable but the work life balance is not for me.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more