Starbucks Employee Reviews

Creative and Fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2016
Fun place to work, some hard physical work, but rewarding every time you get to make a refreshing, delicious beverage to every single customers likings.
Pros
Free Beverages
Cons
Low Salary
great coworkers, low pay, absent manager
Barista (Former Employee) –  Port Credit, ON7 November 2016
Overall, I think that Starbucks is a great company to work for if you are looking for part time work while in school or if you're looking to make friends within your workplace. I have worked at a number of different stores and most have fantastic staff and managers and everyone would work together and genuinely enjoy being there. Unfortunately, my last experience with this company, my manager was very absent and uninterested in what was going on within the store. She didn't want to comply with individuals availability if it meant inconvenience for her or if she felt it would take too long to make the schedule. If she felt that you had done something that she did not like she would cut your hours and give you shifts that were difficult to work with your availability. A number of times she would schedule out of your availability and ignore time off requests saying it was not her problem. She would often times refuse to be on the floor, but would stay in the back room "office" talking on the phone or chatting with the assistant manager and would also partake in gossiping about employees at the store. I had also asked her if I cold get a minimum of 24 hours so I would qualify for medical coverage because of prescription expenses that I could not afford without it. She had initially agreed but after I spoke up about not being able to work on a particular weekend, she started scheduling me for 23 or less hours, knowing that I required 24, thus making it impossible for me to receive coverage.
I wish that this had not been my last experience within the company because it put a very
  more... negative end to what I felt was such a great place to work. I made a lot of friends within the company from the different places that I had worked throughout Ontario and also with the customers that would come in day to day. I looked forward to seeing the regulars and talking to everyone and getting to know the staff as well. I worked at Starbucks while I was in school and they offered tuition reimbursement which is an amazing benefit as well as getting medical benefits. The staff for the most part are down to earth and very easy to get along with. I found that on most of my shifts, while I was getting work done and making connections, I was also spending time with my friends.  less
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, easy going staff, fun atmosphere
Cons
Store dependent
Flexible workplace with great co-workers.
Barista (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC6 November 2016
A day at Starbucks is always busy, with regulars wanting their coffee as fast as possible and lots of students coming in to do homework with a drink. I learned very quickly how to memorize orders, remember customer names, read what a customer wants from me, whether that's me asking them how their day was or getting them their coffee and payment as quickly as possible. I had to memorize every drink recipe and understand easily how to sub ingredients or change it to the customers needs. My manager was efficient and organized and customers loved her, and she was always fair with her employees. The hardest part of the job is not getting easily stressed under pressure and making sure every customer receives the best service we can give them. Connecting with customers who remember you and want to know more about you was definitely the best part of the job.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Stressful conditions
Fun place with bunch of different cool people
Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 November 2016
I liked organizational culture of Starbucks, love like-minded people i worked with, loved managemnet. The only disadvantage was too much work for too little money. But again, my location was very busy.
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Great Workplace but not for everyone
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2016
The job is very fast-paced and very stressful. I personally didn't get along with many of my coworkers, but that's not to say that another person wouldn't strive there. I learned very quickly how to think on my feet and how to connect with a customer while also providing fast and exceptional service.
Pros
Free drinks before, during, and after shift. Lots of Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low wages for amount of work done
fun work place
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
excellent learning experience
good workplace
friendly co workers
a lot to learn about coffee and their recopies
only hard part is early morning shift
Fabulous place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 November 2016
A wonderful place to work where the coworkers and management make the workplace truly enjoyable. A typical day is generally quite busy, but each individual is given a specific role to follow, and the opportunity to switch roles if it becomes boring. Everyone is so helpful, and questions are always welcomed. Management is great, and so are the opportunities for advancement. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job is when you first start, because there is so much to learn and remember; but once you get the hang of things, its good. I enjoy all aspects of working here, especially making the drinks. Mostly because it gives you the chance to be super creative, and is especially rewarding when customers compliment what you have served them.
Great team.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2016
The environment is great. The management is great as well.
They give you compliments but at the same time, the management would get mad at you for learning too slow or trying to get used to different system.
Working
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2016
Working with starbucks is a good company friendly people j get the hours which is good only downside of being there for almost 7 years is the pay rate isn't that greatest it could be better.
Pros
Free markouts and drinks and discounts
Cons
Hourly wage for being there long
Fast paced work environment
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 October 2016
Excellent place to work. They take care of their employees. A very fast paced work environment where teamwork and communication are a must. It has taught me a lot of valuable skills.
Pros
Discounts, benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Stressful at times
Very nice place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 October 2016
Starbucks is a very nice place to work, there is an extremely laid back and friendly environment. However, the training process is difficult because of the product knowledge.
Pros
Nice management and envrionment!
Cons
Long hours.
Good company to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2016
this another school in many ways , even though they do not pay very well and sometimes you can get frustrated with the manager and the amount of work you have to do .
Pros
very low salary
Cons
Benefits are ok
Great atmosphere, active workplace, fantastic co-workers, great customers, poor training.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
Typical shift was from 3:30-5:30. This job refined my customer relation skills, I feel much more confident in talking to customers and suggesting products based off of that customers preference and experiences with products. My manager for this job wanted her employees to remember origins of pastry ingredients and that was a bit difficult to do especially because it was never a question that came up. I enjoyed crafting drinks but most of all connecting with customers and my coworkers.
Pros
Free drinks, 1lb of coffee per week.
Great work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 October 2016
The environment is high energy and fast paced. The quality of management depended on location. The most enjoyable part of the job was making memorable connections with customers.
Very good environment
PARTNER (Current Employee) –  Canmore, AB19 October 2016
Fast paced environment, flexible hours, great team work, manager will treat like a friend, you will get free drinks to pay your hardwork
Shift work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC19 October 2016
I wish Starbucks had more structured hours. Shift work is hard for people with families. Great for younger people but once you have kids its too hard to maintain the hours.
productive and fun places with the co workers and customer
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB15 October 2016
it is really fun to work with them also it is fun to communicate to the customer. Everyday working is fun and more challenging for me. There is no hardest job and my everyday life if i know how to solve most of the problem that im having or i had.
Pros
free drinks, freecoffee beans, teas etc
Cons
great hours
Great at first
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 October 2016
Loved it at first, then new management came along. Still a great job with many benefits such as free beverages and pounds of coffee. It's great to see our regulars come in everyday. Type of place with lots of turnover and out of a staff of around 20 only 3 have been there since I started a year ago. Working nights is extremely easy and laid back but the mornings are complete opposite. It becomes extremely repetitive, maybe it's seeing the same customers everyday or making the same drinks a 100 times a day but overall it's not a bad job.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere, awesome customers.
Cons
No hours, poor management, understaffed in busy situations.
Star-over opportunity
Barista (Current Employee) –  Grouse Mountain9 October 2016
Starbucks from Grouse Mountain is a place that provides you with the opportunity to start a job, but it is with frustation that I realized how efforts are not well compansated and managers lacks experience to notice and recognize good employees.
Pros
Easy going environment
Cons
Immature managers, lack of recognition