Starbucks Employee Reviews

Safeway Canada
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB9 February 2017
Safeway is a decent employer to work for, the thing I liked best about working there was the weekly pay direct deposited. I found that a lot of the stores differ based on store management, leading in inconsistency and confusion sometimes.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Better wages
Fast Paced and Fun
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 February 2017
Its a great company to work for....fast paced so shifts go by quickly with a great opportunity to get to know not only co workers but also frequent customers.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Better wages
Flat passive aggressive cult organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
You need to come up through the stores to be successful at Starbucks, period. Processes are non-existent, and instead of giving, the company takes away - i.e. because Vancouver does not recognize Boxing Day, and Toronto does, and Vancouver recognizes Civic Holiday and in toronto it's not a stat, they have taken Boxing Day away from Vancouver as a holiday and August civic holiday for Ontario. Benefits are great if you are a barista, but as a manager in the office, not competitive. you must be passionate about coffee and the values, otherwise you will get called out. You cannot be authentic unless Starbucks values are your default values. Not an easy organization to maneuver, and the organization has no interest in fixing it, but now they admit it. Not an easy place to come in externally and unless you assimilate, you will not be successful - the organization admits they have high turnover in external hires. Start in stores, work up, and you will be successful at Starbucks.
Pros
Coffee tastings, bean stock, location
Cons
Senior leadership, tough to be successful as an external hire
Fun work place with great co-workers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 February 2017
This job has provided me with extensive customer service experience as well as experience dealing with co-workers I have not gotten along with and also co-workers who will be life long friends. The job was extremely stressful at times, being a busy environment but that is part of what made time fly by.
Pros
Great coffee and free beverages
Cons
long hours, difficult shifts, unhappy customers
Fun and Productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
Very fun and natural work environment. Great staff hires and flexibility. Always face-paces and keeps you busy. Excellent customer service throughout entire company. Very rewards regular customers
Great Place
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I loved working for Starbucks. It's an amazing company with great benefits. Your coworkers start to feel like family and some customers can be really great. Others not so much. The only reason I left is due to some poor management that recently came.
Pros
Free drinks! health benefits.
Cons
Dealing with the public.
Good company
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia6 February 2017
This company cares for their employees; even if someone is part-time they can get benefits.
Was always a company that worked around my other jobs too.
Give out bursaries for education if it has something that can be transferrable to the company.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
Can become repetitive
Great learning experience.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC3 February 2017
Constant training. Always encouraging and helping you with your personal improvement in any work environment. Great team building work place.
Pros
Staff is well taken care of
Best part-time job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
This place knows what its doing to keep its staff happy. Best benefits you can get from any part time employeer as well as excellent culture and perks
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Salary
short staffed and stressful
Barista (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 February 2017
You end up working 6-7 days a week and allot of over time. It is a very busy environment that I found quite stressful. If they had more staff I would have enjoyed it allot more.
Pros
30% off food, and 5 free drinks per shift. Added benefit 1 pound of free coffee a week.
Cons
lot's of over time
Starbucks has been great to me as an employee
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2017
I've worked for Starbucks in different locations under different licencing both corporate and licences and enjoy both. The hardest part of the job would be waking up early to open the store but other than that, every thing comes easy to me. I enjoy speaking with customers and making those connections.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Early mornings
Inspirational and Fun working environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 February 2017
Starbucks is an environment to thrive on customer experience and connections. Training for the position was very knowledgeable, challenging and exciting. Getting to learn coffee not only as a beverage but also as a sustainable product, environmentally used. The product knowledge for customers to experience something different from any other coffee company.

The job had opportunities to show where improvement could be made as a Manager and as a partner. Tools were set in place to guide partners to self evaluate themselves and improve on any difficult learning along their journey.

Managing inspired individuals with a thirst for knowledge and then executing the education to make them better in their work environment, was the most rewarding part of the job.
Good Part Time Job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2017
Good part time job for when you're in school and such. Deals with very rude customers who need there coffee. Gets stressful day in and day out. Creativity is needed when making drinks. Enjoy the challenges of tough or complicated drinks. Very confusing when first learning how to make everything.
Fun job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2017
I enjoyed my time at Starbucks, but left one year to focus on my school work. I learned very valuable customer service skills from my employment at Starbucks.
Busy and productive job, fun people, min. wage.
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 February 2017
I enjoyed my experience at Starbucks. The employees were wonderful and the management very dedicated. The experience was great but the pay a bit discouraging.
Summary of Working Part-Time at Starbucks
Barista employed (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 February 2017
Great job to hold part time during my undergraduate studies. The management team was supportive and really cared about your satisfaction as an employee, which in turn, motivated me to work hard.
Solid place to work and advance your career
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB1 February 2017
Starbucks was an awesome opportunity for me to advance myself. I started off as a barista, making minimum wage, but after two years I had advanced to a barista trainer, to a shift supervisor, and then almost achieving an assistant manager role. My typical shift as a supervisor was to ensure that our peak periods were executed efficiently by placing baristas where they needed to be, and positioning myself to help where needed. I was also responsible for running breaks, maintaining correct labour hours, ensuring our tills and safe had the correct amount of cash needed, and preparing and dropping of a deposit.
Pros
Advancement, easy learning
Cons
Fast paced
Awesome place!
Full-time barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
Starbucks is a sweet place to work. Being in the Chinook mall is awesome for many reasons. Everyone I worked with was like family and we all had great times together!
A pretty awesome place to work!
Part-time barista (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC1 February 2017
Starbucks is a great place to work. You meet amazing people and create lasting memories! A typical day at work for me was coming in at 11:30 am and doing the stock and cleaning. Then i hop onto bar or the till and go from there. I learned how to create delicious drinks and connect with customers. I learned true patience when it comes the a very complicated drink and a busy day. Starbucks workplace culture is very welcoming and chill. The hardest part of the job that i can think of would probably be the customers. Any face to face customer service job can be telling sometimes. You always have a few grumpy people a day, but the mass majority are very happy to see me and happy to get there fix of caffeine for the day! The most enjoyable part if the job would be the fun I have with my coworkers! Ive always had a great time at any Starbucks I've worked at.
Boring, hard
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 January 2017
Learn all the coffees, (about 100 of them). Clean, always smile, converse with clients,. hardest part of the job is having to learn all the coffees, most enjoyable is the benefits that come with the job.
Pros
health care and dental care
Cons
hard job, bad hours