Starbucks

7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

Student Job
Barista-Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
I would say that overall Starbucks was a perfect place to work while one is studying. But when transitioning into an adult working life, it provides neither job security or piece of mind. Schedules are badly managed and hours aren't regular and it really is up to you to make up and find your own hours.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Horrible Schedules
Amazing people! Fast pace!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 6, 2016
A typical work day at Starbucks involves a mix of running around trying to keep all beverage components stocked, brewing coffee constantly, making specialty drinks, handling customer complaints and having fun with people who have not only become my friends, but my family.

I have learned how to respond to customers and communicate with them effectively. I have learned how to handle complaints efficiently. I have learned how to make delicious drinks!

In my time here, I have become frustrated with how the assistant manager treats the people under her. Our general manager is fantastic and a wonderful person, and at the same time tough, strict and to the point.

The hardest part of the job is how fast paced it can be at times, and keeping customers happy in the busy periods, this is also the most enjoyable part of the job because it provides a constant challenge that you need to meet.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, and discounts on EVERYTHING!
Cons
Whiny Customers
long shifts, sometimes fast paced.
Barista (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Typical day at work would consist of just making drinks and keeping the work area clean. I learned how to make a variety of drinks. Management was good, never has a problem and they were very understanding in some situations. My co-workers were decent. Sometimes they wouldnt show up for shifts so that became an issue. Hardest part was getting to and from work because I lived on the other side of town. And as a full-time student it was difficult to get to work RIGHT after school. The hours were inconvenient in the sense that on school days I would either work at 3PM or not at all because they closed at 7. (I worked at a Starbucks in a Safeway). But the most enjoyable part was making some new relationships with the customers.
Fun work Environment, with mixed messages from head office
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 6, 2016
It was a fun job, I would certainly go back. There were some mixed messages down the communication train from head office. I believe this is due to head office workers not knowing about how things work on the floor day to day.
The best years of my life as of yet
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
I would love to continue to work for starbucks, the people are my closest friends, the managers are great and the customers are delightful.
4 out of 5 stars
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 24, 2015
the staff was fun to work with. An amazing work experience.. Great management.. Could use staff transportation. Better staff discounts.
Good for students
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  VancouverDecember 21, 2015
Starbucks has great benefits and can work well if juggling school or a second job. Hours are typically not available to work full-time year round.
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
Varied hours, lack of communication in management
Excellent establishment to learn basic customer service skills
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 16, 2015
show up, put on your apron, clock in, wash hands, assign a front till, follow given instructions/ assist customers/ craft beverages.

i learned not to take anything personally, and to stay positive because everybody has bad days.

occasionally the schedules were poorly constructed, and there was communication boundaries between the levels of management, so there were some grey areas.

my coworkers were great, handled stress well, supported each other like family, and helped out when they could.

the hardest part of my job was working drive thru in the winter because it was cold.

the most enjoyable part of my job was being on bar and seeing someones face light up when i handed them their personally handcrafted beverage.
Pros
5 free drinks on days you work.
Cons
miscommunication
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 15, 2015
Good place for young people. Feel as though advancement can only happen if you are a favourite of boss. Management can be hit or miss here. Every store is different.
Cons
long hours, low pay
My over all rating
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 12, 2015
Good at giving breaks and providing their staffs options to grow. Only if you end up working with a good manager who is willing to help you develop and advance in your career

Want to know more about Starbucks?

Ask a question
Fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBDecember 11, 2015
Working at Starbucks has given me the ability to communicate, and to build relationships with my customers as well with my co-workers. A typical day at work is multitasking, organizing, cleanliness of store, up selling product, presentation, working with others in difficult situations also handling situations in a tactful matter. Management is very professional at Starbucks, well organized and making sure our partners are satisfied. Working with my co-workers is the greatest thing I have experienced at Starbucks we all built a family, and always help each other if needed, such as a bad day or helping each other finish our daily task. The hardest part of the job is not having an organized shift, but we all manage through. The most enjoyable part of my job I find is communicating with the customers as well as my co-workers. I have built strong relationships with our every day customers and it feels great to make someones day not realizing that they were were having a bad day until they talked to you.
Great culture, very forward moving company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Starbucks probably one of the best retail companies you can work for. Great (office level) benefits and pays fairly well as far as retail goes. They don't have unreachable standards and tend to hire people who only benefit the culture of the company.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Non-regulated breaks
good place to work
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 3, 2015
Happy time with partners. Great working environment. Nice salary. Locate in University library, not too much customer every day.
Productive and proactive environment and inspiring atmosphere
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 29, 2015
You develop a lot of interpersonal skills with the help of management and engagement in customer service. This company is very passionate about their mission and vision and provoke an endless welcoming environment. Moments of connection within management and employees are always present, especially with customer service. I've learned a lot from this company, and each day is a challenge to improve my skills as always.
Pros
Work life balance, flexible, benefits
Cons
Limited positions/roles
Great company culture with awesome benefits
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 29, 2015
Starbucks has an amazing culture and excellent training programs. You can't help but grow personally at Starbucks with all the develop and education programs available to all positions.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Hard work
Fun
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONNovember 27, 2015
The work atmosphere is very positive and uplifting. I make customers drinks and provide them with food. The employees are good spirited. Make okay tips.
Really likes My Collegues
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  41 Milner and other LocationsNovember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed my costumers they are great and still see some around and they have told me how much I am missed their. I really enjoyed working with people and helping them any way I can.

I really liked working at Starbucks and the people we nice to work with in the most part.
Pros
Great company benefits while working
Cons
to many nights and weekends
Fantastic Co-workers!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 23, 2015
There is something to be said for the simple joy that comes in preparing a quality cup of coffee for someone else and being able to share a smile with them.

Starbucks Coffee Company was my first real job where I was out on my own and it was an ideal first employer. Having worked there I can see why so many people choose to make it their career if they can afford to.

You learn to decipher that previously incoherent code on the back of your mug, you get to interact with both regulars and newcomers alike and develop excellent people skills, and of course, you get to learn how to make the wide range of drinks they offer from a latte to a frappucino.

Management varies from store to store, but overall I have found every in-store manager to be an admirable worker and a great leader. A lot of the skills and lessons my first manager passed on to me re ones I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

Your co-workers though are the true joy of this job! Starbucks has always attracted such an amazing array of people to it's folds, and a lot of my co-workers have become people I maintain contact with even today as we moved onto to new opportunities.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining an engaging customer connection when you become really busy. It's a little harder to remember to keep chatting and connecting with your customers when your line of drinks circles the bar.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere! Starbucks is a truly fun place to work if you enjoy connecting with people, co-worker and customer alike!
Pros
Great benefits; awesome environment; free coffee on shift; fantastic people
Cons
During slow times, hours do get cut so be prepared to pick up shifts at other stores.
Wonderful coworkers, wonderful benefits
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GANovember 19, 2015
I am an opener at Starbucks, so I am up almost every weekday at 3 am, and at work by 4:30. I usually work 6-8 hour shifts. We are the smallest and one of the busiest stores in our district, because we are right off the highway and right next to a hospital. I have a great team of coworkers and or boss really treats us like partners, which is what Starbucks calls their employees. Since I've been here I have learned how to be better at customer service, how to talk to people, how to make lattes (I'm still working on my latte art, though), how to do a coffee tasting, the difference between teas... so many drink related facts as well as a lot on how to work as a team. Working on a Starbucks team isn't like working on a group project. If one person doesn't pull their weight the whole store feels it.
Pros
coworkers, opportunities for growth, benefits
Cons
steep learning curve, fast-paced work environment
Work Skills
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCNovember 19, 2015
Daily bookkeeping and Deposit , Running shift of 5 employees at a time ,Stocking shelves , Cash handling , Making Drinks , Upselling product, Suggestive sales.