Starbucks Employee Reviews

Extremely fun, welcoming and customer oriented environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON15 January 2017
I love working for starbucks. A typical day involves interacting with my favourite guests and perfecting my milk steaming techniques. The hardest part is definitely having to keep calm when customers are yelling at you for making their drink wrong, even when you weren't the one who took their order.
Barista (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2017
Very fast pace environment to work in, all workers were very professional and treated one another with respect making customers want to come back just because of the experience they were given.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Long Hours
Great benefits and culture.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2017
I loved working for Starbucks and would say that it was my favorite job so far. Their attractive compensation and benefit structure along with the flexibility in their hours make it optimal for a student or someone with other commitments.
Fast paced, time goes by easily.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB11 January 2017
Very fast paced during the rush, it is stressful but overtime it becomes usual. There are times when things slow down. Great environment, regular customers are nice.
Unique culture, lots of drama
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 January 2017
If you work for Starbucks, you live, eat and sleep Starbucks. No matter what store location, the culture is very modern, very millennial, and with that will be guaranteed some drama (just from your co-workers). The company itself is very clean and professional. You get good training and it is fun to work there. Good experience for anyone needs/wants the entry level fast food environment on their resume without working at McDonalds.
Pros
Free drinks, cool place to work
Cons
Co-worker drama
My store sucked
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2017
The staff were jerks and management had good intentions but didnt really see what went around and didnt really care to see. Staff were awful to me.
Pros
good money
Cons
staff were jerks
Overall Job experience
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Starbucks is an incredible company to work for whether your a part-time employee making money for school, or your working at Starbucks as a full time career, everyone in the company is extremely accommodating to your schedule as well as your future advancements in the company.
Great student job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ile-Perrot, QC10 January 2017
Over the four years I have worked at starbucks, I can say that I've enjoyed working with 95% of the staff and customers.My typical day of work consists of serving customers and the day/closing cleaning tasks.
Pros
Decent breaks, great benefits such as dental, health education and stock plans, great coworkers, amazing regular customers
Fun work place
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2017
its a nice place to work,also the work enviroment is clean and coworker are friendly. great benefit and product was absolutlly great.
Great First Job
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2017
I really enjoyed working at Starbucks as my first job and would recommend the job to anyone thinking about becoming a barista. It was simple work, most customers were very nice and I found the time went by really quick with this job, as there isn't much downtime depending on location.
Good, Bad and the Ugly
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
I worked for 8 years as a Barista. My overall experience with Starbucks in general for atleast my first 6 years were enjoyable. Its a great starting job and teaches you relevant skills that opens a variety of options in the customer service industry down the road. I have seen the best and worse of Starbucks. I have made some good friends and compromised with several obstacles in Starbucks. By obstacles I mean people.

Mind you this is my personal experience but how such backwards people can be put into management is beyond me. I witnessed horrible backstabbing as a small group of managers backstab another Assistant manager in the district to ensure she didn't get a promotion, Baristas/Shift managers including myself putting up with horrible management and having absolutely nothing done about it and office politics that rivaled Ugly Betty. A barista and acquaintance of mine was forced to do Open/Closes, Consistently given extra work (Beyond her 40hrs), Off the clock duties, consistent belittling in front of staff and absolutely zero regard for human dignity. after +1 year battle with HR they eventually just trasnferred her and the manager works there to this day.

For myself I was offered shift manager position maybe a total of 3-4 times by other stores who saw the effort and detail i put into my job. However I was determined to fight for an open position in my own store which I thought was possible. I had 6 years of experience under my belt at the time and a total of 4 months of shift development along with a myriad of extra responsibilities from another manager. Unfortunately
  more... that manager was transferred out and I was offered a "fair" consideration for the next one. I wasn't, out of the door this manager hated Men (im a male). Even the new hires no more older than 1-2 weeks saw that she was particularly harsh with men and always batted an eye with the female staff. I FOUGHT for this position, but I knew she would never consider me. So I opted to transfer to another position at a closer location to home. I worked a total of 4 shifts with that store, the staff saw my experience, did an interview with the manager, the manager himself talked about scheduling me a few weeks out...Until he got a phone call from my manager finalizing the transfer. Guess what? I came into the store to pick up my new schedule for the place to see that nothing fell through AND THIS IS HOW I HAD TO FIND OUT? I had to do my own investigation that I was 2 weeks off the schedule at my own store, not on-staff on the new one, 1 paycheck short of rent? Are you serious? a few days later I find out that i was never transferred and that the managers had some communication which was never brought to my attention.

Why do backwards people always get into management?
I've outlasted 5 managers, my first rage quit the company(he was excellent), my second took the first job she could out of there, my third was a pedophile who was let go, my fourth went crazy, my fifth was superb and my 6th...you know the story.

Anyways to the present, I worked for 1 more year after that trying to turn things around. No regards, apparently after 1 year of SERIOUS improvement to my own skills I rate a 1.5 out of 4 stars. I quit. I risk homelessness, I am rock bottom AND I AM HAPPIER. Because I know from the bottom I can move up, instead of where I was before.
An Honest Review.
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.
Friendly community, great skills learned
Barista (Current Employee) –  First Canadian Place, Toronto, Ontario4 January 2017
My experience with Starbucks so far has been wonderful! The staff I work with are super friendly, open minded, understanding. My manager is very flexible and accommodating. We have created such a family oriented type of workplace. It is like a home away from home you know? The benefits are great, and the stuff you learn is amazing! For example, you learn how to taste the difference in coffees, the history behind every coffee bean as well as where they come from. You learn how to make delicious drinks, and learn great communication skills as well as people skills. Starbucks really helped me come out of my shell.

I will say, some of the harder parts of the job, are constantly being on your toes, which I don't mind really. But what is hard is dealing with customers who are unhappy. Some of them can be very mean and just plain rude. At first I always took things personally, but then I learned to understand that sometimes they're just having a bad day and why not make it better for them you know? And from then on that is what I have done. Another thing that took a while to get used too, was being in such a fast paced environment. I couldn't believe how much traffic goes through!

What I love about being a barista at Starbucks are all the defining, inspiring moments we create with each customer. I love making someone's day just by remembering their name and giving them a genuine greeting. It may not seem like it, but these moments go a long way.

Anyways, thank you Starbucks, for everything! I look forward to continuing being part of the community!
Pros
Free drinks every break, benefits, a great community
Cons
Almost always on your feet, days can be long
Fun and productive work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC4 January 2017
Very fun work environment. Will make lifelong friends with both your fellow employees and your customers. Fast paced, and always keeps you on your toes. Never a dull moment!
Its good for while in school
Barista (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
Depends on the manager you get fantastic job with a good one can kinda suck with a bad one.

Benefits are unreal, if you are in university/college its a no brainer to work here

coworkers are ok

you might get yelled at
Pros
Benefits, usually flexible hours
Cons
People.
Good job
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
The company is great to work for and the people you get to work with are also amazing. Pay is fair and the benefits and coverage are also very good. Though company is very sales orientated despite saying they aren't.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Demanding Management
fun place to work

tuition reimbursement

medical and dental
Management was amazing
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
I worked at the Starbucks at YYC Airport in Calgary, the manager of the business at the time was absolutely amazing. He was very kind, caring and understanding... Supervisors and trainers were all kind and eager to help you succeed. I became comfortable and happy to work with my colleagues as well, due to them also being so kind and helpful. HR was not helpful, sent my T4 to the wrong address and was not cooperative or even responsive. Wage was average minimum, but hours were flexible and could be negotiated due to such amazing management. Quick paced and good job regardless where you are in your life.
Pros
management, free drinks, co-workers
Cons
Human Resource, wage
Mediocre part time employment with minimal advancements
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  43 Milner Ave1 January 2017
Employees are overwhelmed on a daily due to cheap staffing leading to angered customers that express themselves creating an environment of unnecessary stress. On top of that shift supervisors are placed under a lot of stress to meet unreal goals on a daily. As a result regular baristas as myself are sent home early on a consistent basis when business is slow.

Employees cannot base their life's income dependent on the flow of customer's especially during Holiday seasons.
Pros
Ability to make new relationships
Cons
too much unnecessary stress that could be avoided with minimal pay
Productive and fun environment
BARISTA -FULL TIME (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
Everyday is a learning experience dealing with various customers.
Tiring but enjoyable work.
Managers and supervisors are approachable.