Starbucks
4,551 reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace when with the right people
Barista (Current Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 17, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: horrible managers
I loved the environment I worked in. Fast paced and exciting but frustrating at times. My fellow baristas were great and always happy but all the managers that work for the company lacked the people skills that are the foundation of what starbucks os built upon.
Fun Place to work while adhering to the rules
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 15, 2014
Making drinks for everyone can be fun, the job is entertaining and involves a person who is always on the move. It's a job that helps you balance life and work and has many benefits, along with this it gives you the skills to provide great customer service during stressing environments. Great company1
Fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee and a free 1lb bag every week
Cons: cleaning the oven
I lreally enjoyed working there. I got to move to quite a few stores and got to know a lot of people. I loved the atmosphere and getting to my customers. I learned a lot while i was there for ex. P&L how to do scheduling and inventory counts monthly. The hardest part was trying to move up in the company and sometimes the not so nice customers.
Fun working environment!
Supervisor (Former Employee), St. John's, NLDecember 3, 2014
Was fortunate to work with a wonderful crew of people and made some life long friends while working there. The pay wasn't bad for what the job requires and the hours were flexible which is great for students. Would recommend this job, 100%.
Work
Barista (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 3, 2014
Pros: free drink 30 percent discount
Cons: odd hours
It a nice place to work if you want to meet people. You learn how to deal with people in a regular basis. Since there are High turn over rate a new manager comes in every 1 to 2 years. Very stressful environment. The hardest part of the job is trying to please customers, and make drinks as quick as possible in peak hours and seasonal. The best part – more... of this job is that you get 5 free drinks during your shift. – less
Busy
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Squamish, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: connecting with people, social, perks and benefits
Cons: lots of hard work, can be stressful, misunderstandings and miscommunication happen, things can get disorganized and chaotic quickly, have to be prepared as best can while it's possible
- Lots of challenges
- Rewarding
- Lots of social, communication, and people skills development
Fun workplace
Certified Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Montreal, QCDecember 1, 2014
I loved working at Starbucks because we were right next to a school. A lot of my customers were people my age and so many of them were regulars and we became friends outside of work. I became a lot more comfortable talking to people I don't know, and learned a lot more tricks to give good customer service and work quickly.

I loved my boss because she – more... trusted me with responsibility but knew when to take control of a situation and tell me what needed to be done. It was a good balance. – less
N/A
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCNovember 27, 2014
This review has already been submitted and some aspects were good while working here and some aspects were not good.
Laid back workplace with a good heart
Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 26, 2014
Pros: discount, free coffee every week
My typical day at work includes serving customers food and beverage at their request, doing daily maintenance tasks, and providing a 3rd place for people to spend their time.

I learned a great deal about coffee, and how to make a perfect espresso or frappuccino beverage every time.

Management was very relaxed, but still had a good enough grasp of – more... the situation to keep the store profitable.

My coworkers are like family, they are dedicated and very caring people.

The hardest part of the job is the pay.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a customer smile when they enjoy the beverage you just made them. – less
Fast-paced and fun
Advanced Store Trainer and Lead (Current Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves a lot of interaction with customers. Customers are highly valued at Starbucks and creating more regulars is our goal. I learned how to make many signature beverages and I learned how to pay attention to detail. I learned how to manage a team, place orders, and organize inventory.
So much fun, but not enough money.
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 21, 2014
Pros: free coffee during breaks, good discounts
Cons: not enough hours, low wage
I'm having so much fun working at Starbucks right now. We are a very tight group of people who are also friends outside of work. Though sadly this job does not pay me well enough to be able to live like I would like to. I can barely afford an apartment and groceries.

Sometimes it's stressful, but it is a lot of fun. It's actually part of our job to – more... connect with the customers and talk to them. – less
Fun and enthusiastic work environment
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2014
Working at Starbucks has been an enjoyable experience. It allows me to meet new people on a daily basis and engage with people I wouldn't necessarily engage with if I worked elsewhere. My co-workers and my manager encourage fun in the workplace while also maintaining a high expectation of customer service.
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCNovember 18, 2014
Company has changed since 2010. Less flexibility for students, etc. Left before policy changes were announced so maybe things got better.
A company with a heart, which prides itself in it's investment in its partners, its customers, and its shareholders.
Store Manager (Former Employee), TorontoNovember 17, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, opportunities for advancement, vacation time.
Cons: unstable schedule that often resulted in overtime that salaried persons are not paid for.
The typical day at Starbucks as a store manager was shaped by the expectations relayed to the store manager by the district manager, which in turn were determined by the key initiatives of the company on the one hand, and the flow of business on the other. For me, those factors resulted in working shifts from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday's – more... were our administrative days. I was required to schedule and monitor labor, use our retail hourly hiring system to identify potential candidates to interview, hire, and train, analyze P&L statements, as well as weekly tracking systems to identify strengths, and opportunities of the business, and to read, communicate, and delegate any key tasks relayed to the team from head office. On other days, the store manager acted as a shift supervisor. This involved general opening tasks, monitoring inventory as I placed the daily food and milk orders, deploying partners to key positions based on their individual strengths during peak hours, run breaks, and calculate, record, and deposit the till drops. Central to everyday was the needs of our customers. I led the floor by example by standing on the till, or expediting service to ensure that I was providing a smile, and doing everything I could to ensure that any customer that left our store left feeling that they had had a legendary experience.

This position furnished me with the opportunity to attend several top of the line management courses, and therefore I learned a great deal about inventory management, scheduling labor, identifying potential candidates for recruitment, coaching partners with respect to performance, and operating a sense of urgency as a leader.

I reported directly to the district manager. Our district manager was herself a tenured starbucks partner with a sharp eye for detail, a desire to teach, and an outstanding ability to instill a sense of confidence, and personal responsibility in her team.

I had the pleasure of building appropriate, professional working relationships with the team I was selected to lead. I communicated, set, and followed up on the expectations given me by our head office, and sought to instill the same pride, confidence, and sense of responsibility in my team that my district manager instilled in me.

The most challenging aspect of the job was the tax on one's personal life that management in retail can take. Some weeks the business needs required me to work 70+ hours.

The most rewarding aspect of the job was the opportunity to bring a little light into somebody's day, and the successful execution of that goal. To make a person smile with something as simple as a cup of coffee; to be an oasis from the noise of daily life was truly a privelege. – less
An exciting day every day
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2014
In the 7 years I worked at the Safeway Starbucks, I learned a great deal about team work, problem solving, and quality customer service.
Fast paced work environment
BARISTA (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2014
Very fast paced environment. I've gained excellent customer service skills. I've learned to react well under pressure. This job has also improved my time management skills. Hardest part of the job is keeping everyone happy. Resolving any disputes in a calm and understanding manner so that the customers will be happy and want to come back. Everyone I – more... work with is always pushing us to do better. Whether it be with sales targets or current goals we have outside of work. – less
review
Store Manager (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 13, 2014
I do not wish to write a review but it was an ok place of work good nice clients and the hotel was sold and closed for few years
Fun atmosphere!
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 11, 2014
I enjoy the benefits while being in a relaxed environment and delivering an exceptional customer service. Team members always cooperate which make it a very productive and fun atmosphere.
Productive and fun environment to work in
Barista (Former Employee), torontoNovember 9, 2014
Working at Starbucks built up my customer service by having to connect with customers and communicate with them. As well as building a relationship with them because you would want them to come back and become regular customers which increases sales.
Fun
Barista/Shift supervisor (Former Employee), VancouverNovember 8, 2014
It was great working as a shift supervisor. The team is what made the difference. I felt like we were part of the same team and with the same goals. It can be tough at times but the human interactions is what makes it all better.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more