Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Pros: Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons: Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Fun, easy going, comfortable
Barista (Former Employee), Whistler, BCMarch 17, 2016
Pros: Free drinks, good benefits
Cons: Drink memorizing
Working with other people in Starbucks was a great experience. For the day to follow well everyone must work as a team and there were no problems in doing that. Everyone got along great and people rolls of the day were established and followed easily. I learned great team work and communication. Communication was such an important skill in working with the starbucks company and I was able to build up relationships with a lot of the customers at the store. Unfortunately I was only working in Whistler for the summer, otherwise I would still be working there. The hardest part of the job was learning the 86,000 combinations of drinks they had on the menu. The easy part of the job was feeling like I was a part of the team
A job you can love!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Pros: Fun, Unique, Room for advancement, benefits packages and free coffee
Cons: Shift work
Starbucks provides a fun, fast paced work environment with room to grow and expand.

While working there, I learned how to become a barista and craft delicious espresso beverages.

I consistently worked with great managers who were eager to make sure their employees were happy and receiving enough work hours.

My co-workers were all fantastic and fun to work with and made every work day easy to get through.

The hardest part of the job is the RUSH hour, but it's still very manageable.

The most enjoyable part? The people!
Great benefits, flexible, but thats it
Barista (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 16, 2016
Positive:
-easy work
-flexible schedule
-great benefits (but they take a lot of work to get)
-free coffee

Negative: (been at this job too long)
-repetitive work
-high pressure to be "bubbly, happy, always 'on' "
-STRICT uniform policies
-lots of work for little pay
-difficult to advance unless your store has high turnover
-strict rules for everything
-far too many who get stuck working at this job because of the benefits but day to day are secretly miserable, wishing they were doing something else
-strict about absolutely everything BUT recycling and making themselves more "earth friendly",
-everything is about profit.
Great way to meet new people
Barista (Current Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Free beverages while on shift, one free pound of coffee/box of tea per week, health benefits available immediately
Cons: Constantly walking, bending, and lifting. Sales targets. Work ethic of coworkers can be an issue.
Starbucks is a great job, if only minimum wage. It can be mentally and physically exhausting during peak times of the day, but if you have a good team and a good manager, it can flow quite well.

Starbucks provides health benefits without a required amount of tenure, which can be stressful for employees of other organizations.

A typical day would consist of you interacting with customers, and filling their orders for food, or drink. They can have questions regarding those products, or about their loyalty program.

If you're a supervisor, it can consist of also preparing the daily cash deposit, placing coin orders as needed, and then taking it to the bank. Supervisors are also expected to monitor daily use of required products, such as milk. As such, orders are placed by supervisors weekly for different distributors.
Productive and proactive environment and inspiring atmosphere
Certified Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 29, 2015
Pros: Work life balance, flexible, benefits
Cons: Limited positions/roles
You develop a lot of interpersonal skills with the help of management and engagement in customer service. This company is very passionate about their mission and vision and provoke an endless welcoming environment. Moments of connection within management and employees are always present, especially with customer service. I've learned a lot from this company, and each day is a challenge to improve my skills as always.
Great workplace!
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 29, 2016
Pros: Free drinks, universal 30% employee discount, great employee benefits.
Cons: Not enough hours!
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable, the wage is slightly better than minimum! my only complaint would be the inconsistent availability of hours, and slow to the draw management. over all, my experience working at Starbucks has been the best work experience I've had.
Wonderful coworkers, wonderful benefits
Barista (Current Employee), Cumming, GANovember 19, 2015
Pros: coworkers, opportunities for growth, benefits
Cons: steep learning curve, fast-paced work environment
I am an opener at Starbucks, so I am up almost every weekday at 3 am, and at work by 4:30. I usually work 6-8 hour shifts. We are the smallest and one of the busiest stores in our district, because we are right off the highway and right next to a hospital. I have a great team of coworkers and or boss really treats us like partners, which is what Starbucks calls their employees. Since I've been here I have learned how to be better at customer service, how to talk to people, how to make lattes (I'm still working on my latte art, though), how to do a coffee tasting, the difference between teas... so many drink related facts as well as a lot on how to work as a team. Working on a Starbucks team isn't like working on a group project. If one person doesn't pull their weight the whole store feels it.
Great work and team environment, and great benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 13, 2015
Pros: benefits, raises, promotions, team, culture
Cons: external hiring beats internal hires, poor wages, some inexperienced supervisors and managers, low incentive for baristas to work hard unless working towards a promotion
A job that always looks good on my resume. I started as a barista and communicated to my manager I was getting bored with my job's roles. He encouraged me to move ahead in the company and I became a Barista Trainer, then Quality Assurance Lead, and then - after a lot of work and an interview with the district manager - I was promoted to Supervisor.
good benefit, nice enviroment, decent culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), ChengduMarch 9, 2016
Pros: Great Benefits, Amazing Work Environtment
Cons: long hours
Great company. Great people. Learned a lot. Amazing benefits; a pound of coffee a week, health benefits, bean stock, Student re-reimbursement program, eco-friendly environment
Fun, fast paced environment with plenty of opterunity for development.
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Third Line and Dundas, OakvilleSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: Fast paced, great people, and benifits.
Cons: Early starts and late closing shifts, and a long commute
A typical day begins with connecting with our customers and their communities, fostering a deep sense of purpose while building a meeting place in their communities. Focusing on our partners on surpassing our business goals through coaching, support and leveraging our business support tools.
I have learned a great deal in business acumen in my time here at Starbucks. The management team is excellent and fellow partners have a sense of belonging to something bigger.
The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fast paced process of creating a connection with our customers and creating an experience. All of which normally occurs approximately at a rate of 30 transactions per half hour.
Student Job
Barista-Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Health Benefits
Cons: Horrible Schedules
I would say that overall Starbucks was a perfect place to work while one is studying. But when transitioning into an adult working life, it provides neither job security or piece of mind. Schedules are badly managed and hours aren't regular and it really is up to you to make up and find your own hours.
Fun work environment but poor compensation
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary ABOctober 19, 2015
Pros: Unlimited free beverages while working
Cons: Lots of responsibility without equal compensation
Fun place to work where partners became good friends. All about the customer experience and creating a second home feel for every customer. For a company that stresses that they "love" there employees, I felt we were neglected and asked too much of without considering store differences. Within a year's time we had to add about 4 BIG new things to our store with little time to adapt before a new one came in.
All in all it's a fun place to work. But it's a lot of hard work with what i feel is not enough compensation.
Starbucks barista
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
Pros: good benifits
Cons: management
A typical day at work is starting at 5am-1:30pm
I have learned great people skills, and customer service skills as well working here. Management could be better due to personal reasoning. All the co workings get along great and there is minimal drama in the work place environment. The hardest part of the job was learning all the drinks and building skills on how to accommodate people and there needs. Over time it became easy because I am a quick learner.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with your coworkers.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2015
Pros: Free stocks
Cons: wages
A fun work place with supportive management. The team is selected perfectly where everyone gets along and everyone is there to help (taking shifts, trading shifts etc).

The management team is organized, friendly and coaches in a respectful manner. Nobody ever feels or has felt put down or condescending and everyone takes constructive criticism very well.

Overall, great place to work with. Continuing to work there part time. A plus that this company gives, on top of the benefits, job security, and culture.
very kind enviorment and resepctful customers and employees
starbucks 130ave SE - Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Pros: benefits, hours, pay, employee personality, cafe enviorment
Cons: sometimes rushed when busy and working alone, making drinks and operating the till
this was a very good job that fit well with my hours, the people I worked with very nice and joyful, good benefits, good pay, and all around amazing experience and place to work.
Very fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee), Squamish, BCJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: benefits, and partner discounts
Cons: low wage.
I enjoyed the experience I gained working at Starbucks, all employees are trained to work together as a team, my only struggle was the wage wasn't competitive compared to our dedication to the job, and all of the responsibilities a barista takes on.
great environment to work
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: free drinks before shift, during and after. and great benefits
Cons: rush hours get pretty hectic
the company is great takes care of its partners (employee's), you're team makes it a great place to work or stressful. management is good for the most part. Most enjoyable part, is working with partners that are great team members and outgoing people. one of the perks is meeting and connecting with new people, you never know who will walk through those doors. The most hardest part is mastering the art of customer service, or maybe even dealing with difficult coworkers.
Starbucks
Shift Supervisor/Barista Trainer (Current Employee), Aldergrove, BCOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Free coffee during breaks, Free 1lb of coffee or a tin of tea each week
Cons: Shift work
I really enjoy working with Starbucks. They are keen on having their employees advance within the system. They offer many perks to augment the minimum wage salary.
A typical day for a shift supervisor would be managing the partners and the flow of customers. This would include running breaks and dealing with any potential problem and customer issues. Also a shift supervisor would be responsible for encouraging the partners to meet our daily, weekly and monthly goals.
Great Company in Theory Only
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2015
The practices set by corporate are wonderful, but are often not followed through with at the store level, and are sometimes discouraged (WSIB claims specifically). The company recently has cut extra programs and benefits (Partner Appreciation Week specifically, a program that costs approx. $2mill.), citing too much expense, despite neting Billions of dollars in the previous calendar year. Other initiatives have been cut, including keeping orthopaedic floor mats, because they take too long to clean. There are also many flaws in the management system hierarchy, often leaving store managers grossly unmanaged, and leaving other partners in the store with no place to turn with complaints.
Revenue