Starbucks
4,444 reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
So much fun, but not enough money.
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 21, 2014
Pros: free coffee during breaks, good discounts
Cons: not enough hours, low wage
I'm having so much fun working at Starbucks right now. We are a very tight group of people who are also friends outside of work. Though sadly this job does not pay me well enough to be able to live like I would like to. I can barely afford an apartment and groceries.

Sometimes it's stressful, but it is a lot of fun. It's actually part of our job to – more... connect with the customers and talk to them. – less
Fun and enthusiastic work environment
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2014
Working at Starbucks has been an enjoyable experience. It allows me to meet new people on a daily basis and engage with people I wouldn't necessarily engage with if I worked elsewhere. My co-workers and my manager encourage fun in the workplace while also maintaining a high expectation of customer service.
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCNovember 18, 2014
Company has changed since 2010. Less flexibility for students, etc. Left before policy changes were announced so maybe things got better.
A company with a heart, which prides itself in it's investment in its partners, its customers, and its shareholders.
Store Manager (Former Employee), TorontoNovember 17, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, opportunities for advancement, vacation time.
Cons: unstable schedule that often resulted in overtime that salaried persons are not paid for.
The typical day at Starbucks as a store manager was shaped by the expectations relayed to the store manager by the district manager, which in turn were determined by the key initiatives of the company on the one hand, and the flow of business on the other. For me, those factors resulted in working shifts from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday's – more... were our administrative days. I was required to schedule and monitor labor, use our retail hourly hiring system to identify potential candidates to interview, hire, and train, analyze P&L statements, as well as weekly tracking systems to identify strengths, and opportunities of the business, and to read, communicate, and delegate any key tasks relayed to the team from head office. On other days, the store manager acted as a shift supervisor. This involved general opening tasks, monitoring inventory as I placed the daily food and milk orders, deploying partners to key positions based on their individual strengths during peak hours, run breaks, and calculate, record, and deposit the till drops. Central to everyday was the needs of our customers. I led the floor by example by standing on the till, or expediting service to ensure that I was providing a smile, and doing everything I could to ensure that any customer that left our store left feeling that they had had a legendary experience.

This position furnished me with the opportunity to attend several top of the line management courses, and therefore I learned a great deal about inventory management, scheduling labor, identifying potential candidates for recruitment, coaching partners with respect to performance, and operating a sense of urgency as a leader.

I reported directly to the district manager. Our district manager was herself a tenured starbucks partner with a sharp eye for detail, a desire to teach, and an outstanding ability to instill a sense of confidence, and personal responsibility in her team.

I had the pleasure of building appropriate, professional working relationships with the team I was selected to lead. I communicated, set, and followed up on the expectations given me by our head office, and sought to instill the same pride, confidence, and sense of responsibility in my team that my district manager instilled in me.

The most challenging aspect of the job was the tax on one's personal life that management in retail can take. Some weeks the business needs required me to work 70+ hours.

The most rewarding aspect of the job was the opportunity to bring a little light into somebody's day, and the successful execution of that goal. To make a person smile with something as simple as a cup of coffee; to be an oasis from the noise of daily life was truly a privelege. – less
An exciting day every day
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2014
In the 7 years I worked at the Safeway Starbucks, I learned a great deal about team work, problem solving, and quality customer service.
Fast paced work environment
BARISTA (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2014
Very fast paced environment. I've gained excellent customer service skills. I've learned to react well under pressure. This job has also improved my time management skills. Hardest part of the job is keeping everyone happy. Resolving any disputes in a calm and understanding manner so that the customers will be happy and want to come back. Everyone I – more... work with is always pushing us to do better. Whether it be with sales targets or current goals we have outside of work. – less
review
Store Manager (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCNovember 13, 2014
I do not wish to write a review but it was an ok place of work good nice clients and the hotel was sold and closed for few years
Fun atmosphere!
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 11, 2014
I enjoy the benefits while being in a relaxed environment and delivering an exceptional customer service. Team members always cooperate which make it a very productive and fun atmosphere.
Productive and fun environment to work in
Barista (Former Employee), torontoNovember 9, 2014
Working at Starbucks built up my customer service by having to connect with customers and communicate with them. As well as building a relationship with them because you would want them to come back and become regular customers which increases sales.
Fun
Barista/Shift supervisor (Former Employee), VancouverNovember 8, 2014
It was great working as a shift supervisor. The team is what made the difference. I felt like we were part of the same team and with the same goals. It can be tough at times but the human interactions is what makes it all better.
fun workplace when dealing with customers and making world class drinks
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 2, 2014
Pros: free drinks, discounts
Cons: very busy store
Starbucks serves world class coffee and food and cleanliness is a vital quality that is very important to many customers.

Customer service is excellent and coworkers are helpful in many aspects while working.
Decently fun place to work if in need of a part time job
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2014
It was a good part time job, definitely not something i would want to do fulltime unless i was desperate
Incredible Work Environment
District Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great work culture, good work life balance / challenging / fun
Cons: salary
Incredible Culture, people truly come first in this company.

The leadership is inspirational and extremely functional. I highly encourage all job seekers to experience Starbucks first hand.

Team is alway upbeat, incredibly fun, and extremely challenging. It is never the same day twice.
Fun workplace
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2014
Pros: 30% discount
Cons: long hours
- Great work culture
- Decent corporate rewards and benefits
Productive and Skill building environment.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: sore feet
A typical day at work would be getting to work for 5 am, refilling the pastry case, turning on the coffee machines, brewing coffee, making handcrafted beverages, taking customers orders, heating sandwiches in the oven, recommending new products, and asking for names for drink cups. I learned how to make some pretty delicious beverages, I learned the – more... proper way of tasting coffee which made me enjoy it even more then I had before, I also learned how to work as a team to get things done fast. The management was good, always fixing any issues the partners may have had. I worked with a lot of great co-workers (Partners) we worked as a team to get things done efficiently. The hardest part of the job was constantly being on your feet. The most enjoyable part of the job was making people happy, and getting to know so many of our regulars, – less
Great work environment and great customer service.
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond BCOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free coffee and great medical and dental benefits.
Cons: long hours
I learned what it was like to work for a company, many rules which are easy to abide by. I enjoyed the benefits as well.
Great first job to be at and lots of benefits at Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee), Lloydminster, SKOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free drinks, great wage, awesome staff
Cons: long hours, short staffed, busy, and hard to book time off
A typical day at work is fun. The customers are awesome. I learned how to work well under pressure. The management at the moment is awesome. We currently don't have a manager but we are getting one. The co-workers are great, obviously every job does have some conflict with them but not for me. The hardest part would be the long hours and that we are – more... short staffed mostly. The most enjoyable part would be the connection you have with the customers. I love ot!! – less
Fast paced, free coffee, and discount on books!
Hospitality Representative/ HR Consultant (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Very busy work place!

I learned a lot at working at Starbucks. The management/leadership teams were provided with great training - Foundations of Leadership and Best Hiring Practices. This is just the tip of the iceburg for all that I learned while working as a Manager for Starbucks.

I had great managers that did not micro manage situations or people. – more... They were always supportive and knew the business inside and out.

I had great co-workers. We worked as a team and were resources for each other, and the business.

The job as Manager was a great job to have! The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing team member move on to great things and big careers. – less
Great People. Great Values. Uninspiring Leadership.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2014
Pros: free drinks.
Cons: shift work. it's still retail.
A very top-down organization. The best idea will usually not win. New directions are not discussed and not viewed through the lens of those who are on the ground having to execute.

The stated corporate values attract great people but when that comes up against business measurable realities, the values are overlooked and the bottom line rules.
Best job I've ever had.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: discount, flexible hours, encouraged individuality
Cons: false promises
Like most people, Starbucks was a job I took because I needed it. I kept it because I loved it. The customers and the partners were both amazing. The skills I already possessed were given the opportunity to grow while I worked here.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more