Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons
Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Fun, easy going, comfortable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 17, 2016
Working with other people in Starbucks was a great experience. For the day to follow well everyone must work as a team and there were no problems in doing that. Everyone got along great and people rolls of the day were established and followed easily. I learned great team work and communication. Communication was such an important skill in working with the starbucks company and I was able to build up relationships with a lot of the customers at the store. Unfortunately I was only working in Whistler for the summer, otherwise I would still be working there. The hardest part of the job was learning the 86,000 combinations of drinks they had on the menu. The easy part of the job was feeling like I was a part of the team
Pros
Free drinks, good benefits
Cons
Drink memorizing
A job you can love!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Starbucks provides a fun, fast paced work environment with room to grow and expand.

While working there, I learned how to become a barista and craft delicious espresso beverages.

I consistently worked with great managers who were eager to make sure their employees were happy and receiving enough work hours.

My co-workers were all fantastic and fun to work with and made every work day easy to get through.

The hardest part of the job is the RUSH hour, but it's still very manageable.

The most enjoyable part? The people!
Pros
Fun, Unique, Room for advancement, benefits packages and free coffee
Cons
Shift work
Great benefits, flexible, but thats it
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 16, 2016
Positive:
-easy work
-flexible schedule
-great benefits (but they take a lot of work to get)
-free coffee

Negative: (been at this job too long)
-repetitive work
-high pressure to be "bubbly, happy, always 'on' "
-STRICT uniform policies
-lots of work for little pay
-difficult to advance unless your store has high turnover
-strict rules for everything
-far too many who get stuck working at this job because of the benefits but day to day are secretly miserable, wishing they were doing something else
-strict about absolutely everything BUT recycling and making themselves more "earth friendly",
-everything is about profit.
Great workplace!
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 29, 2016
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable, the wage is slightly better than minimum! my only complaint would be the inconsistent availability of hours, and slow to the draw management. over all, my experience working at Starbucks has been the best work experience I've had.
Pros
Free drinks, universal 30% employee discount, great employee benefits.
Cons
Not enough hours!
Great way to meet new people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 2, 2016
Starbucks is a great job, if only minimum wage. It can be mentally and physically exhausting during peak times of the day, but if you have a good team and a good manager, it can flow quite well.

Starbucks provides health benefits without a required amount of tenure, which can be stressful for employees of other organizations.

A typical day would consist of you interacting with customers, and filling their orders for food, or drink. They can have questions regarding those products, or about their loyalty program.

If you're a supervisor, it can consist of also preparing the daily cash deposit, placing coin orders as needed, and then taking it to the bank. Supervisors are also expected to monitor daily use of required products, such as milk. As such, orders are placed by supervisors weekly for different distributors.
Pros
Free beverages while on shift, one free pound of coffee/box of tea per week, health benefits available immediately
Cons
Constantly walking, bending, and lifting. Sales targets. Work ethic of coworkers can be an issue.
Productive and proactive environment and inspiring atmosphere
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 29, 2015
You develop a lot of interpersonal skills with the help of management and engagement in customer service. This company is very passionate about their mission and vision and provoke an endless welcoming environment. Moments of connection within management and employees are always present, especially with customer service. I've learned a lot from this company, and each day is a challenge to improve my skills as always.
Pros
Work life balance, flexible, benefits
Cons
Limited positions/roles
good benefit, nice enviroment, decent culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ChengduMarch 9, 2016
Great company. Great people. Learned a lot. Amazing benefits; a pound of coffee a week, health benefits, bean stock, Student re-reimbursement program, eco-friendly environment
Pros
Great Benefits, Amazing Work Environtment
Wonderful coworkers, wonderful benefits
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GANovember 19, 2015
I am an opener at Starbucks, so I am up almost every weekday at 3 am, and at work by 4:30. I usually work 6-8 hour shifts. We are the smallest and one of the busiest stores in our district, because we are right off the highway and right next to a hospital. I have a great team of coworkers and or boss really treats us like partners, which is what Starbucks calls their employees. Since I've been here I have learned how to be better at customer service, how to talk to people, how to make lattes (I'm still working on my latte art, though), how to do a coffee tasting, the difference between teas... so many drink related facts as well as a lot on how to work as a team. Working on a Starbucks team isn't like working on a group project. If one person doesn't pull their weight the whole store feels it.
Pros
coworkers, opportunities for growth, benefits
Cons
steep learning curve, fast-paced work environment
Great work and team environment, and great benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 13, 2015
A job that always looks good on my resume. I started as a barista and communicated to my manager I was getting bored with my job's roles. He encouraged me to move ahead in the company and I became a Barista Trainer, then Quality Assurance Lead, and then - after a lot of work and an interview with the district manager - I was promoted to Supervisor.
Pros
benefits, raises, promotions, team, culture
Cons
external hiring beats internal hires, poor wages, some inexperienced supervisors and managers, low incentive for baristas to work hard unless working towards a promotion
Student Job
Barista-Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
I would say that overall Starbucks was a perfect place to work while one is studying. But when transitioning into an adult working life, it provides neither job security or piece of mind. Schedules are badly managed and hours aren't regular and it really is up to you to make up and find your own hours.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Horrible Schedules
very kind enviorment and resepctful customers and employees
starbucks 130ave SE - Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 23, 2016
this was a very good job that fit well with my hours, the people I worked with very nice and joyful, good benefits, good pay, and all around amazing experience and place to work.
Pros
benefits, hours, pay, employee personality, cafe enviorment
Cons
sometimes rushed when busy and working alone, making drinks and operating the till
Barista (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 30, 2016
Get benefits even for part time partners. Really accommodating to your personal life schedule. Able to relocate/ transfer to locations all over canada which is super awesome if you plan on moving
Very fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed the experience I gained working at Starbucks, all employees are trained to work together as a team, my only struggle was the wage wasn't competitive compared to our dedication to the job, and all of the responsibilities a barista takes on.
Pros
benefits, and partner discounts
Cons
low wage.
You get to meet a lot of people.
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
Amongst regulars you will be able to build unique relationships built around positivity as well as genuine interest. These are the best benefits at working at a place such as Starbucks.
Fun, fast paced environment with plenty of opterunity for development.
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Third Line and Dundas, OakvilleSeptember 20, 2015
A typical day begins with connecting with our customers and their communities, fostering a deep sense of purpose while building a meeting place in their communities. Focusing on our partners on surpassing our business goals through coaching, support and leveraging our business support tools.
I have learned a great deal in business acumen in my time here at Starbucks. The management team is excellent and fellow partners have a sense of belonging to something bigger.
The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fast paced process of creating a connection with our customers and creating an experience. All of which normally occurs approximately at a rate of 30 transactions per half hour.
Pros
Fast paced, great people, and benifits.
Cons
Early starts and late closing shifts, and a long commute
Good job
Barista/Shift Supervisor. (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMarch 16, 2016
Good company to work for, can be a little overwhelming sometimes. Requires a certain kind of person to work there. The benefits are great and it's easy to move up in the company
Fun work environment but poor compensation
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABOctober 19, 2015
Fun place to work where partners became good friends. All about the customer experience and creating a second home feel for every customer. For a company that stresses that they "love" there employees, I felt we were neglected and asked too much of without considering store differences. Within a year's time we had to add about 4 BIG new things to our store with little time to adapt before a new one came in.
All in all it's a fun place to work. But it's a lot of hard work with what i feel is not enough compensation.
Pros
Unlimited free beverages while working
Cons
Lots of responsibility without equal compensation
Starbucks barista
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
A typical day at work is starting at 5am-1:30pm
I have learned great people skills, and customer service skills as well working here. Management could be better due to personal reasoning. All the co workings get along great and there is minimal drama in the work place environment. The hardest part of the job was learning all the drinks and building skills on how to accommodate people and there needs. Over time it became easy because I am a quick learner.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with your coworkers.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
management
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2015
A fun work place with supportive management. The team is selected perfectly where everyone gets along and everyone is there to help (taking shifts, trading shifts etc).

The management team is organized, friendly and coaches in a respectful manner. Nobody ever feels or has felt put down or condescending and everyone takes constructive criticism very well.

Overall, great place to work with. Continuing to work there part time. A plus that this company gives, on top of the benefits, job security, and culture.
Pros
Free stocks
Cons
wages