Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons
Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 14, 2016
One of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had, working with young people who have unending energy, create laughter in the moment and teach the true meaning of life. Training is at the forefront of each promotion, ensuring you always feel supported and have the tools to succeed. Typical days always start with a great cup of coffee, the opportunity to connect, really connect with people and create an awesome experience for both youreslf, your team and your customers
Pros
Great Partner Discounts
Cons
Productive and proactive environment and inspiring atmosphere
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 29, 2015
You develop a lot of interpersonal skills with the help of management and engagement in customer service. This company is very passionate about their mission and vision and provoke an endless welcoming environment. Moments of connection within management and employees are always present, especially with customer service. I've learned a lot from this company, and each day is a challenge to improve my skills as always.
Pros
Work life balance, flexible, benefits
Cons
Limited positions/roles
Great workplace!
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 29, 2016
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable, the wage is slightly better than minimum! my only complaint would be the inconsistent availability of hours, and slow to the draw management. over all, my experience working at Starbucks has been the best work experience I've had.
Pros
Free drinks, universal 30% employee discount, great employee benefits.
Cons
Not enough hours!
A job you can love!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Starbucks provides a fun, fast paced work environment with room to grow and expand.

While working there, I learned how to become a barista and craft delicious espresso beverages.

I consistently worked with great managers who were eager to make sure their employees were happy and receiving enough work hours.

My co-workers were all fantastic and fun to work with and made every work day easy to get through.

The hardest part of the job is the RUSH hour, but it's still very manageable.

The most enjoyable part? The people!
Pros
Fun, Unique, Room for advancement, benefits packages and free coffee
Cons
Shift work
Great work and team environment, and great benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 13, 2015
A job that always looks good on my resume. I started as a barista and communicated to my manager I was getting bored with my job's roles. He encouraged me to move ahead in the company and I became a Barista Trainer, then Quality Assurance Lead, and then - after a lot of work and an interview with the district manager - I was promoted to Supervisor.
Pros
benefits, raises, promotions, team, culture
Cons
external hiring beats internal hires, poor wages, some inexperienced supervisors and managers, low incentive for baristas to work hard unless working towards a promotion
It's a Fun work place. But
Shift Supervisor/Key-holder (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 6, 2016
I love working at Starbucks. Love the people that I work with, the customers that I deal with. I would just like to say that maybe having to choose an option of having a higher Pay, rather than profit sharing, would benefit the partners who would love to stay with the Company, and also be eligible to potentially sign up for a car or a house or something that we can Tie into our names. instead of being paid "minimum".

The reason I would leave this company is for the reason of Job Advancement. Your Own manager will promise you a lot of things, and will make you think you are ready, and then you wait for things to start rolling. But nothing is actually going on still.
Engaging, productive, and educational environment
Cashier & Barista (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 25, 2016
It was wonderful to engage with customers and employees while being efficient to complete duties during each shift. Working at starbucks an employees responsibility is to have knowledge on the coffee culture and share it with customers. Each sale we informed customers concern on the product they are purchasing such as, a beverage and their preference on flavour, health or expense. The first three weeks the hardest part of the job was memorizing all ingredients for each beverage during the holidays, however, once rush hour then it became habitual to assemble beverages. Practice makes perfect. The most enjoyable was interacting with employees and customers and being able to decorate for the holidays as there's always new seasonal beverages
Pros
free beverage during break
Cons
short shifts
Fun, easy going, comfortable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCMarch 17, 2016
Working with other people in Starbucks was a great experience. For the day to follow well everyone must work as a team and there were no problems in doing that. Everyone got along great and people rolls of the day were established and followed easily. I learned great team work and communication. Communication was such an important skill in working with the starbucks company and I was able to build up relationships with a lot of the customers at the store. Unfortunately I was only working in Whistler for the summer, otherwise I would still be working there. The hardest part of the job was learning the 86,000 combinations of drinks they had on the menu. The easy part of the job was feeling like I was a part of the team
Pros
Free drinks, good benefits
Cons
Drink memorizing
I little about Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
As a Starbucks employee you should setup everything that will be used.
Greet customers with smile and take he or she order.
Brew coffee and make drinks as well handle pastry.
I learned about the coffee culture and about sales. Being a foreign, I learned as well the local idiom.
I had 5 managers in less than 2 years. They have different characteristics but the one that hired me was the best.
While I have amazing co-workers (friends, professionals and hard workers) I have co-workers that only are there to make money to party. So they're no professionals, immature and too lazy.
The hardest part its the morning rush hour where everybody wants be attended fast and the most enjoyable part its try many kinds of coffees, drinks and pastry free.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Wage
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2015
A fun work place with supportive management. The team is selected perfectly where everyone gets along and everyone is there to help (taking shifts, trading shifts etc).

The management team is organized, friendly and coaches in a respectful manner. Nobody ever feels or has felt put down or condescending and everyone takes constructive criticism very well.

Overall, great place to work with. Continuing to work there part time. A plus that this company gives, on top of the benefits, job security, and culture.
Pros
Free stocks
Cons
wages
Barista - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Loved the fast pace and most customers. Learned many things; including; how to adapt in an ever changing environment. Great training classes. Enjoyed being apart of something bigger with the volunteer opportunities.
Pros
Company looks after their partners.
Cons
Long hours in upper management roles.
good benefit, nice enviroment, decent culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ChengduMarch 9, 2016
Great company. Great people. Learned a lot. Amazing benefits; a pound of coffee a week, health benefits, bean stock, Student re-reimbursement program, eco-friendly environment
Pros
Great Benefits, Amazing Work Environtment
A Great Company That Wants The Best For You
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2016
When you arrive at Starbucks everyday, you know you're walking into a positive environment. You always have the same connection with your customers, which at Starbucks is above and beyond satisfaction. I've learned how to manage my time effectively and have gained the extensive customer service experience needed to take me to the next level. Management and partners are always great to be around. Nothing is ever hard working for the company; aside from my specific location. In the heart of Toronto, we have a lot of homeless and underprivileged adults that come in and some times cause a disruption but sometimes just need a place to sit or have a glass of iced water. I've learned how to work in those tough situations and have learned how to keep our store and employees safe. I brag to my friends on how great of a company it is to work for. The most enjoyable part for me is connecting with my customers while attempting my latte art! That's all from me!
Pros
Pastries at the end of the night, discounts outside of Starbucks, 30% Off all Starbucks merch and beverages
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 3, 2016
what i learned:
amazing place to work at if you wanna improve your peoples skill, they train you to be better at your job like how to deal with angry and frustrated customers.

management and coworkers:
we are a team of like minded people and getting along had never been a problem for me.

hardest part of the job:
trying to be upbeat and positive when we are super busy as we focus on a lot of things at the same time so we forget to be jolly or upbeat which sometimes comes off as rude or unwelcoming

the most enjoyable part the job:
making people smile! little things that i do which makes a persons day makes me feel happy about what i do.
Pros
regular breaks
Cons
no prospects of growth in the company
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 15, 2015
Good place for young people. Feel as though advancement can only happen if you are a favourite of boss. Management can be hit or miss here. Every store is different.
Cons
long hours, low pay
Great benefits, flexible, but thats it
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 16, 2016
Positive:
-easy work
-flexible schedule
-great benefits (but they take a lot of work to get)
-free coffee

Negative: (been at this job too long)
-repetitive work
-high pressure to be "bubbly, happy, always 'on' "
-STRICT uniform policies
-lots of work for little pay
-difficult to advance unless your store has high turnover
-strict rules for everything
-far too many who get stuck working at this job because of the benefits but day to day are secretly miserable, wishing they were doing something else
-strict about absolutely everything BUT recycling and making themselves more "earth friendly",
-everything is about profit.
Very fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed the experience I gained working at Starbucks, all employees are trained to work together as a team, my only struggle was the wage wasn't competitive compared to our dedication to the job, and all of the responsibilities a barista takes on.
Pros
benefits, and partner discounts
Cons
low wage.
Fast paced job with fun atmosphere
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, ABNovember 16, 2015
Very high paced job with lots to do and remember.
Fun working and socializing with customers and co-workers.
Teamwork was vital to be able to work fluidly on the floor.
Very flexible hours and understanding manager able to switch shifts or cover sick co-workers.
Free coffee was loved by all and very needed by all employees.
Lots of cleaning tasks on op of serving customers, multitasking was a necessity.
Pros
Free coffee, discounts, fun environment
Cons
Little pay, competitive hour distribustion, exhausting during promotional periods
Student Job
Barista-Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
I would say that overall Starbucks was a perfect place to work while one is studying. But when transitioning into an adult working life, it provides neither job security or piece of mind. Schedules are badly managed and hours aren't regular and it really is up to you to make up and find your own hours.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Horrible Schedules