Starbucks Employee Reviews

An enjoyable and enriching experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
the typical day working at starbucks was, in one word, fun! i learned quite a lot of things such as; time management and leadership. The management were amazing and my co-workers were some of nicest people i've ever met. The hardest part about the job was that it was extremely hard to maintain while still being in school, if i could have done both i would. in general though, Starbucks was an amazing experience for me and would surely be the same for anyone else!
Pros
great people, fun workplace, nice pace, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no flexibility when it came to hours
Was good when I started.....
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
Company preaches Job work/life balance but does't allow management to practice that, you are on call 24/7 even when you are on vacation. Salary was good if you were only working 40 hours/week. Benefits and partner perks were good. Lack on consistent support from DM's and RD's. Never challenge the status quo!! Company has changed and store managers are not as important or valued as shift supervisors and baristas in my opinion. There is a lack of consistency across cities, and provinces.
A great company overall!
Barista / Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
There is never a dull moment working at Starbucks. The company is well known so they attract different types of customers as well as different types of workers. Everyone was diverse. The managers were encouraging and helpful, always willing to listen to you when you had a problem and making sure things were alright with you in your personal life and work life. I learned a lot of interpersonal skills, customer service skills, how to work quick on my feet, think outside the box, express my creativity, and maintain some great relationships with customers and coworkers. The hardest part about the job would have had to have been the hours being varied at different stores so there wasn't as much work some weeks as there was others.
Pros
Upbeat environment, opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Not knowing how many hours you were going to get each week.
Horrible all around
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 February 2017
I worked for Starbucks in my 20s and the hours were awful and stressful, they paid me minimum wage with a master's degree, they never gave me the benefits they agreed to give, and there was no work life balance because all I was doing was working for Starbucks. Not to mention customers have high expectations of Starbucks products so they are rude, yell, scream on occasion and have such high expectations you'll injure yourself trying to please their clientele. If you make mistakes, your manager will fire you. Not to mention the bosses were stressful to handle because they also yell.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Too many. All around bad.
Fabulous place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 November 2016
A wonderful place to work where the coworkers and management make the workplace truly enjoyable. A typical day is generally quite busy, but each individual is given a specific role to follow, and the opportunity to switch roles if it becomes boring. Everyone is so helpful, and questions are always welcomed. Management is great, and so are the opportunities for advancement. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job is when you first start, because there is so much to learn and remember; but once you get the hang of things, its good. I enjoy all aspects of working here, especially making the drinks. Mostly because it gives you the chance to be super creative, and is especially rewarding when customers compliment what you have served them.
Fun
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
I really loved working at Starbucks. I can say this is one of the jobs that enabled my to expand my communication skills and my self confidence. Starbucks provides all the guidelines to makes a simple employee a professional barista. Management is very strict to the point even the manager got fired at some point. Co-worker were mostly girls, friendly but a little too gossipy. I cant judge all Starbucks managers, but both managers we had were unorganized. The hardest part of the job was to be able to learn all the menu. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had free drinks.
Pros
30% discount of food, free drinks
Cons
cant have free drinks when not on the clock
Flat passive aggressive cult organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
You need to come up through the stores to be successful at Starbucks, period. Processes are non-existent, and instead of giving, the company takes away - i.e. because Vancouver does not recognize Boxing Day, and Toronto does, and Vancouver recognizes Civic Holiday and in toronto it's not a stat, they have taken Boxing Day away from Vancouver as a holiday and August civic holiday for Ontario. Benefits are great if you are a barista, but as a manager in the office, not competitive. you must be passionate about coffee and the values, otherwise you will get called out. You cannot be authentic unless Starbucks values are your default values. Not an easy organization to maneuver, and the organization has no interest in fixing it, but now they admit it. Not an easy place to come in externally and unless you assimilate, you will not be successful - the organization admits they have high turnover in external hires. Start in stores, work up, and you will be successful at Starbucks.
Pros
Coffee tastings, bean stock, location
Cons
Senior leadership, tough to be successful as an external hire
High Standards, but improved work ethics
Barista (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2017
Working at Starbucks required a lot of promotion and customer connection. However, this allowed me to comfortably connect with customers on a personal basis, while maintaining a professional appearance. It also improved my high pressured working ability and sought out ideas to improve efficiency while working. Management was all over the place. In working for a bit over a year, I have worked under 4 store managers. So, building a manager to employee relationship had it difficulties.
Great Benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2016
Have been working for more than 3 years now.
Starbucks has awesome benefit plans and stock plans for baristas and consider all employees valuable partners.
Feel as though they would protect partners in any situations but the quality of customer service provided is tiresome to employees.
Customers are accustomed to 'just say yes' and 'make it right' so even when they arbitrarily want everything we have to say yes and provide everything.
I think all the partners deserve to get a lot more raise
Pros
Free beverages and great benefits
Cons
quality of customers
Great at first
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 October 2016
Loved it at first, then new management came along. Still a great job with many benefits such as free beverages and pounds of coffee. It's great to see our regulars come in everyday. Type of place with lots of turnover and out of a staff of around 20 only 3 have been there since I started a year ago. Working nights is extremely easy and laid back but the mornings are complete opposite. It becomes extremely repetitive, maybe it's seeing the same customers everyday or making the same drinks a 100 times a day but overall it's not a bad job.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere, awesome customers.
Cons
No hours, poor management, understaffed in busy situations.
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Great work environment and fun experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC31 August 2016
A typical day at work would be to make and serve coffee and food to customers waiting for their flight and also to employees working at the airport.

I learned that I am very good at memorizing information to give better service to customer when they need information about the menu. Also, I learned how to manage stress very well since we would get many rush hours a day.

Overall the management was good but still they had some issues when it comes to communication since there was too many different managers to manage different restaurants all around the airport.

I really enjoyed working with the co-workers I had a good team work with.

The hardest part would be when I would work harder if I was working with co-workers that would not want to work well.

The most enjoyable part was the work environment, with travelers from all around the world and fun co-workers to work with as a team.
Had potential to be an enjoyable workplace IF managing staff was better
Barista (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON1 September 2016
Working at Starbucks seems like it would be a fun job, however, it was extremely fast-paced and required multitasking skills and the ability to work under stress. The only enjoyable aspect of the job was that I made some genuine friends, and most of my coworkers made the shift bearable. Management was a nightmare, and sometimes the floor would be improperly staffed, causing many problems and frustration among the entire team. The job puts a priority on how sociable an employee is and disregards how well the employee works.
Pros
30% discount on food, drinks and merchandise as well as free drinks during your breaks.
Cons
stressful work conditions, long hours sometimes without properly scheduled breaks, juggling multiple responsibilities sometimes without the help of coworkers, minimal people working at a time
Culture has changed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
Starbucks has gone from a company that leads through its people to a company which ignores its people. The Culture has created a bad place to work as it is pushing out talent as people try to cover their butts and blame someone else.
Pros
Free Bevs, discounts, benefits and mark outs.
Cons
Must become a robot and follow what someone else tells you to do.
very good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  philippines22 February 2017
very good, nice benefits

so busy depending on location

learned alot

culture is ok except from new management they are bully

free drinks
Strange cult like corporate culture
put upon (Current Employee) –  5140 Yonge Street2 May 2016
I work in the corporate office in Toronto and have been here about 3 years now. Everything is in a hurry, busy, no time for lunch, 40 hour week and the culture is strange. It's very cult-like. I learned a lot about coffee and curiously, nearly every meeting is prefaced by a coffee tasting. After 3 years, I've tasted every single coffee dozens of times - what more can one learn???? But they are ongoing. The only thing this company is missing is a a corporate song. Folks are nice, but unless you completely mask your personality, be prepared to do endless hours of overtime, volunteer work, and watching your back - this is not the company for you!

The benefit package changed about 2 years ago after the new president came on board and laid off hundreds. Now it is pathetic.
Pros
Free pound of coffee weekly
Cons
long hours, average salary, poor benefits, untrustworthy management and they pay the non-management staff hourly!
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 May 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Great Workplace but not for everyone
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2016
The job is very fast-paced and very stressful. I personally didn't get along with many of my coworkers, but that's not to say that another person wouldn't strive there. I learned very quickly how to think on my feet and how to connect with a customer while also providing fast and exceptional service.
Pros
Free drinks before, during, and after shift. Lots of Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low wages for amount of work done
Calling all coffee lovers, this is your place!
Barista- Customer Service Lead/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 September 2016
Where can I begin, I've been with Starbucks 3.5years now and It truly is an incredible company to work for. You can be as flexible as you want or need with your schedule and your manager will still accommodate your needs and wishes. There is a lot to love here, free drinks on every break and a 30-40% discount on any item as well, not to mention weekly mark outs of coffee, teas etc.

I work at a drive through and on most days (especially during the school year) it is very busy and we have lots of tasks to complete. This can be the hardest part about the jobs because of how overwhelming it can seem but if you just keep calm you're fine!

Your customers will be the best and worst part of your day, just when you think one has ruined your day you turn around and another makes it back for you, they are the reason Starbucks is a thing!

Can we talk benefits? OMG they are amazing!! You only have to work 20hrs a week and you get full benefits, Starbucks believes pure heartedly in home and work life balance.

All in all, it's a wonderful company to work for!
Pros
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS, Free coffee, amazing customers
Cons
High Stress
Great Place
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I loved working for Starbucks. It's an amazing company with great benefits. Your coworkers start to feel like family and some customers can be really great. Others not so much. The only reason I left is due to some poor management that recently came.
Pros
Free drinks! health benefits.
Cons
Dealing with the public.