Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 1,030 reviews matching the search
Great company to learn and grow with
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 March 2017
Being a barista at Starbucks taught me valuable skills in customer service and teamwork. Through the extensive training that was provided by the company, I learned a lot about what it means to provide quality products and connect with customers. Working in a team was also important, and I grew close with many of my coworkers because of it, many of whom I am still close with today. The job was stressful at times, and the hours were sometimes long, but overall, I learned a lot working at this company and can safely say that I grew as a person in my 4 years there.
Pros
Free coffee, amazing coworkers, friendly relationship with regulars, good management
Cons
Early mornings, long rushes, occasional rude clients
Great Environment, Hard Workers
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 March 2017
Busy, with many customer interactions. Great results are very achievable with the lead of our hard working shift supervisors.
I learned that if everybody chips in and does work, we all go home happy. Management is well organized and they create a relatable and comfortable environment. We support one another and have fun, while keeping the stores line smoothly flowing. The hardest part of the job is the odd rude or unexpectedly out of line customer. The most enjoyable part is the people we work with, I work with an amazing team :)
Was good when I started.....
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
Company preaches Job work/life balance but does't allow management to practice that, you are on call 24/7 even when you are on vacation. Salary was good if you were only working 40 hours/week. Benefits and partner perks were good. Lack on consistent support from DM's and RD's. Never challenge the status quo!! Company has changed and store managers are not as important or valued as shift supervisors and baristas in my opinion. There is a lack of consistency across cities, and provinces.
Fun workplace, excellent benefits
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
It is a fast-paced, fun workplace. If you're a people-person, this is the job for you. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the friends you make, whether it is customers or your co-workers. The hardest part of the job is making sure all of the cleaning gets done. There is TONS of cleaning. I guess if you're not a morning person, it can be difficult to get up at 3:30-4:30 for a shift.
Pros
free drinks on every break, free pound of coffee every week, cheap extensive insurance
Cons
scheduling isn't steady
Our store provides the fastest and quality service - Drive Thru Store
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC22 March 2017
I love working with people who have become close and personal friends, it is like a family. Team work is essential this environment. The hardest part of my day is dealing with customers that I can not make happy no matter how much I try. Some people will just not be happy no matter the effort you put in to make it right. There is a new challenge every day and I love it.
Pros
Benefits package is great, Starbucks stocks, 1lb coffee/tea markout per week
Cons
Minimum wage to start, small raises
Horrible all around
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 February 2017
I worked for Starbucks in my 20s and the hours were awful and stressful, they paid me minimum wage with a master's degree, they never gave me the benefits they agreed to give, and there was no work life balance because all I was doing was working for Starbucks. Not to mention customers have high expectations of Starbucks products so they are rude, yell, scream on occasion and have such high expectations you'll injure yourself trying to please their clientele. If you make mistakes, your manager will fire you. Not to mention the bosses were stressful to handle because they also yell.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Too many. All around bad.
Fun fast pace environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
Starbucks is the truth! They have great merchandise, customer service and your boss is usually the best boss you have ever had in your life. Not only do you get enough breaks that are paid for but you get to sample and have fun with everything on the menu.
Pros
a pound of coffee or tea every week for FREE! drinks for FREE on every break
Cons
Morning rush, lunch rush and summer rush are intense, sometimes no breaks until the customers get what they want
Solid place to work and advance your career
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB1 February 2017
Starbucks was an awesome opportunity for me to advance myself. I started off as a barista, making minimum wage, but after two years I had advanced to a barista trainer, to a shift supervisor, and then almost achieving an assistant manager role. My typical shift as a supervisor was to ensure that our peak periods were executed efficiently by placing baristas where they needed to be, and positioning myself to help where needed. I was also responsible for running breaks, maintaining correct labour hours, ensuring our tills and safe had the correct amount of cash needed, and preparing and dropping of a deposit.
Pros
Advancement, easy learning
Cons
Fast paced
Great place to start off
Barista/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2017
Good working atmosphere
Positive co workers
Flexible schedule
Pay not so great
Understanding management
Able to transfer locations
Stocks and tuition options
Free drinks and more free drinks
Free coffee and tea each week to take home
Tips were ok deleting on the location
Customer usually really nice and talkative
Excellent training
Easy advancement
Pros
Flexible schedule and tons of free stuff
Cons
Pay
High stress, high demand, great staff
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2017
I worked at one of the busiest Starbucks' in Ottawa, where in a given half hour during peak hours, in excess of 60-80 customers served would be customary. As such, when you are responsible for making all of their drinks, the job is stressful. The job has further taught me how to cope with stress and it is for it that I may mostly attribute my ability to multi-task to the extent that I now may. Under such conditions, working in close proximity to the other staff members, you grow close to the other employees and I can consider most of them good friends to me now. The best part of the job is working with such amazing people and the probability of encountering so many great people in a given day.
Pros
free coffee and beans
Cons
stressful
High Standards, but improved work ethics
Barista (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2017
Working at Starbucks required a lot of promotion and customer connection. However, this allowed me to comfortably connect with customers on a personal basis, while maintaining a professional appearance. It also improved my high pressured working ability and sought out ideas to improve efficiency while working. Management was all over the place. In working for a bit over a year, I have worked under 4 store managers. So, building a manager to employee relationship had it difficulties.
productive
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
i met a lot of great people. the management wasn't great and i didn't enjoy the job. typical day at work would be taking customers order , and making drinks and stocking up and following clean , safe and ready. i learned to be patient. the management lacked coaching. they would use aggressiveness as a form of coaching. my co workers were great. the hardest part about the job is learning the recipe. the most enjoyable part is you meet great customers.
Alright
Barista/Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Chestermere, AB27 January 2017
Not the best job I've had, the experience has been less than admirable. I regularly work with people at the beginning of adult life. It has little to do with engineering but I've learned to work effectively with unskilled workers to accomplish the collective goal of providing a nurturing environment for our customers.
Pros
Free coffee, diverse worker pool
Cons
early mornings, workplace drama, nontechnical work
turning ordinary to extraordinary.
Barista (Former Employee) –  medical city18 February 2017
Starbucks has been one of those companies that completely fascinates me. From everything written about them, they are run a lot different than most companies one reads about. their commitment to their customers, employees, and communities in which they reside is really unparalleled in the business world and I am constantly wondering how they make it work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great place for a first job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
must be fast-paced

learned how to make and serve a variety of hot and cold beverages

managers and supervisors are very friendly and open

making 'secret menu' items is a pain especially if the barista does not know how to make it

co-workers turn into your friends and being nice to customers just puts you in a great mood.
Pros
free food. drinks, and a lot of talking
Cons
stressed out making complicated drinks
Unique culture, lots of drama
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 January 2017
If you work for Starbucks, you live, eat and sleep Starbucks. No matter what store location, the culture is very modern, very millennial, and with that will be guaranteed some drama (just from your co-workers). The company itself is very clean and professional. You get good training and it is fun to work there. Good experience for anyone needs/wants the entry level fast food environment on their resume without working at McDonalds.
Pros
Free drinks, cool place to work
Cons
Co-worker drama
Fun work place with great co-workers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 February 2017
This job has provided me with extensive customer service experience as well as experience dealing with co-workers I have not gotten along with and also co-workers who will be life long friends. The job was extremely stressful at times, being a busy environment but that is part of what made time fly by.
Pros
Great coffee and free beverages
Cons
long hours, difficult shifts, unhappy customers
Company growth has changed it. Great product, culture.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON20 March 2017
Love the culture, or what the culture was. Shift to sales, perfection, constantly writing people up. "Performance Managing." Long hours, high expectations, little to no support. The employees, and the great product kept me there too long. I left after my health had already become compromised, my bad. Only way to get close to doing a good job is to be there all of the time, or short your floors-abuse your employees. I left because this did not gel with who I was, nor did it gel with the position I applied for, the company I loved. Seemed, in hindsight, too many changes, too many expectations, completely de-motivating experience for all. Sad turn of events.
Pros
Mark-outs (free product weekly), great product, fair wages.
Cons
Long hours, expecattions are ridiculous, little to no tools, support
Management was amazing
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
I worked at the Starbucks at YYC Airport in Calgary, the manager of the business at the time was absolutely amazing. He was very kind, caring and understanding... Supervisors and trainers were all kind and eager to help you succeed. I became comfortable and happy to work with my colleagues as well, due to them also being so kind and helpful. HR was not helpful, sent my T4 to the wrong address and was not cooperative or even responsive. Wage was average minimum, but hours were flexible and could be negotiated due to such amazing management. Quick paced and good job regardless where you are in your life.
Pros
management, free drinks, co-workers
Cons
Human Resource, wage
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.

4.2