Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, ABAugust 23, 2016
Starbucks has shown to me and all the other employees that they really care about each and every staff member. We are not called employees, but rather partners. We are all treated the same and with the same respect, whether you are a barista or a manager. No two days are the same, you have customer rushes at different times, you always have new drinks coming out and the customers every day are different, with the exception of our regulars. I have learned so many great skills, like working alongside people with a multitude of different personalities and work habits. I have enjoyed working with all of the people at my store, they make my day enjoyable.
fun workplace
PART TIME BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 5, 2016
Nice working with good people in my store. Starbucks has good benefits. Hardest part of the job though is the closing schedule since you need to clean the store after closing. Most enjoyable part of my job is you get to meet a lot of people while working, talking to customers and knowing their favorite drinks. In Starbucks, we are not just making a good cup of coffee but mostly giving the best customer service to all our customer.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
shifting schedule
Great First Job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
As a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks, it really teaches you about how to be a leader. You are leading the baristas throughout that day, motivating and coaching them to deliver the best service possible to your customers. It also teaches you how to remain calm in high volume periods. Furthermore, it helps develops your ability to be detail-oriented in regards to labor variances, inventory, and daily deposits. Overall, it is a great, well-rounded, starter job.
Pros
Flexible Job
Cons
Low salary
having fun making drinks for friendly people
Assistant Manager Sales (Former Employee) –  hinton,albJuly 11, 2016
I liked working for Starbucks, there was lots of friendly outgoing people. At the beginning it was great. My co-workers were on time and actually showed up for their shifts. The management was very friendly to me when I was showing I was hard working. The hardest part of the job was when I was sick, no one would cover me.That rose up to me missing a day,and almost being terminated.The manger was not very nice to me.I was treated different by co-workers.I eventually quit after 2 months of torture.
Pros
discount on items
Cons
long hours, being alone too long, terrible management
Worthwhile experience, improved organization and social skills.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 10, 2016
I've worked at Starbucks in both Vancouver and Whitby (Ontario). A typical day of work involved serving customers, making drinks, and cleaning and organizing the store. I've become better at small talk, and being meticulous and focused when it is required. The hardest part of my job was multitasking, the most enjoyable aspect was being able to work and interact with others simultaneously.
Pros
Free drinks, positive interactions
Cons
Low salary, monotonous
good starter job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 7, 2016
i worked for Starbucks for almost two years, and grew a lot in terms of customer service. it is a good job if you are looking for something to give you experience. I quickly made my way up to a Supervisor position. the only thing that turned me off about this job was the company itself. Starbucks ( as much as they preach partnership and such) is not good to their employees. they make changes without notifying us and make us deal with the back lash. They make horrendous rules that are not necessary for the survival of the company yet make their employees do them just for the sake of credibility
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
Fun place to work and gain person connections
Barista (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 26, 2016
Working for Starbucks is such a great experience. As a barista you do have a long list of responsibilities that need to be learnt and maintained. Starbucks hire people with the same personality so it is easy to make friends with co-workers and even customers. At times customers can become extremely disrespectful to you and as a barista it is your responsibility to "make it right", which is probably the worst part about working at Starbucks. Despite what may happen, top managers and managers will always protect their employees.
Great Managers
Barista and shift supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
I have had nothing but a good time at this job. They have always been so professional but at the same time are like family. We were always so busy with a faced paced volume of customers due to the building we work in and all the people who have enjoyed the service that they keep coming back. The store I was at is award winning in service.
Pros
Free drinks while you work
Cons
Sometimes you have difficult customers
Productive and super fun. Great breaks and fun customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 3, 2016
A day at work was fun, fast paced when busy, and very productive. My co-workers were team players and loved working together, the only downfall of my experience was the management. The management was absolutely wretched, I have never been so ill-treated in my entire life. The hardest part of that job was probably the way we were treated as partners under our manager.
Good company to work for.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 30, 2016
It is a great option for starting professionals.
You get a great deal on Customer service, team work and getting sense of urgency.
I wish, not only them, but all coffee shops would improve the wage increase rate, and increase the wage cap. It would make employees feel valued and stay for longer. It is very sad to see good employees leaving for another job because they don't earn enough.
Pros
Friendly, enjoyable
Cons
high employee rotation. long term employees are mostly undervalued.
Fun environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2016
Learned how to make drinks, and prepare food for customers to eat. Also learned communication skills among coworkers and customers as well. A typical day begins to become quite mundane as the routine is simple and not challenging. The hardest part of the job was simply to remember all the regular customers by name and their basic background because customer care is heavily encouraged.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Hours given are random and not consistent
Fast paced, enjoyable atmosphere with long lasting customer connections
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 29, 2016
I learned a lot from working for Starbucks. It accustomed me to a great deal of responsibility as I was a shift supervisor. Fast paced, energetic environment that encouraged customer connections and a positive outlook on life. Great standards, great expectations and a high level of leadership skills. Granted me the ability to take initiative, delegate properly.
Pros
Free drinks, long lasting customer connections
Fast-paced and positive environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
I began working at Starbucks a year ago and I can't say I have many complaints. The employees at Starbucks are treated with respect and are constantly appreciated/encouraged by management.
My partners (co-workers) are reliable and always ready to work as a team. The atmosphere we work in is busy, fast-paced and sometimes frustrating, yet as a team we are able achieve success and always retain positivity.
Productive and fun work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 7, 2016
I loved the staff and the ambiance at work, however I did not like the new manager that was a lot more strict and bossy than the previous one we had... He did not managed well the store and was not very welcoming. I still learned a lot from working there, they have a great clientele and the shifts were very variable which made the job different every day.
Pros
Easy to switch/give away/take shifts
Cons
Salary
Great job, good boss, and learned a lot.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Starbucks was my first job, and I learned a lot. I am still in contact with many of my coworkers and bosses. It was hard work, but it was very beneficial for my work ethic and initiative. I especially loved interacting with people, the only negative aspect about that is some of the customers did not share my enthusiasm.
Pros
Good cooworkers, and discounted drinks when on breaks.
Cons
Hours often changed without notification.
Great employees to work with, but management needs work
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Honestly, the job is rewarding and the people I work with are amazing. Everyone is willing to help one another out, however the management of the store needs improvement. Scheduling is not consistent, and the manager is not emotionally stable during stressful situations. May occasionally take out frustration on the staff working.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Manager
Fast but Fun educational, and provides amazing opportunities.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCMay 17, 2016
Fast pasted, lots of customer interactions, cleaning, Visual merchandising.
I learned to keep up with the high demand with a happy happy smile on my face, also to know when and how to respond to a mistake with orders, through the BEST training I have EVER went through. I learned time management.
Co-workers are like the best part.
Hardest part is to learn that it is okay to take your time, because after time you become faster and faster.
Most enjoyable part is seeing our customers smile big, and of course free drinks.
Pros
Training, and free drinks plus discounts.
Cons
Can be over alot to begin with
To inspire and nuture the human spirit - one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCJune 1, 2016
Working at Starbucks has been great in exposing me to diverse challenges and immense changes. Its culture is one that ensures a comfortable, clean working environment and an overall pleasant place for people to be. Wonderful management, incredible partners and an immense supply of tasetful recipes and heart-felt intentions.
Great Job Opportunity
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
I work at Starbucks Part-time. I only have good thing to say about this job. My manager easily works around my school schedule. The work environment is friendly and easy to learn. Everyone is there for you if you need help. The most enjoyable part of this job is to talk with the customers and learn their names, so I can make their Starbucks experience even better.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
some heavy lifting