Starbucks Employee Reviews

Fun
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
I really loved working at Starbucks. I can say this is one of the jobs that enabled my to expand my communication skills and my self confidence. Starbucks provides all the guidelines to makes a simple employee a professional barista. Management is very strict to the point even the manager got fired at some point. Co-worker were mostly girls, friendly but a little too gossipy. I cant judge all Starbucks managers, but both managers we had were unorganized. The hardest part of the job was to be able to learn all the menu. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had free drinks.
Pros
30% discount of food, free drinks
Cons
cant have free drinks when not on the clock
Management was amazing
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
I worked at the Starbucks at YYC Airport in Calgary, the manager of the business at the time was absolutely amazing. He was very kind, caring and understanding... Supervisors and trainers were all kind and eager to help you succeed. I became comfortable and happy to work with my colleagues as well, due to them also being so kind and helpful. HR was not helpful, sent my T4 to the wrong address and was not cooperative or even responsive. Wage was average minimum, but hours were flexible and could be negotiated due to such amazing management. Quick paced and good job regardless where you are in your life.
Pros
management, free drinks, co-workers
Cons
Human Resource, wage
Great Work Environment and Friendly Staff
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 December 2016
Typical day at work involves cleaning counter tops and machines, making espresso based hot and cold drinks, coffee, tea, iced cold drinks and blended beverages. The coworkers and working environment are awesome and the work itself is fun too. The hardest part of the job is closing since it takes a while but the more practice you get doing it the faster it goes. By far the most enjoyable part is making connections with the customers and learning their stories and names.
Unique culture, lots of drama
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 January 2017
If you work for Starbucks, you live, eat and sleep Starbucks. No matter what store location, the culture is very modern, very millennial, and with that will be guaranteed some drama (just from your co-workers). The company itself is very clean and professional. You get good training and it is fun to work there. Good experience for anyone needs/wants the entry level fast food environment on their resume without working at McDonalds.
Pros
Free drinks, cool place to work
Cons
Co-worker drama
Very work friendly environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 December 2016
Working at Starbucks made me realize that even a small gesture can go a long way. On a typical day, the partners and customers are both very easy going, and the managers are very organized as well. The hardest part about working at Starbucks at my location specifically, is when it becomes very busy and we are low on staff. But over all because everyone is very easy going, it was very enjoyable working for Starbucks.
Pros
discounts on food and beverages, and merchandise
Cons
can be understaffed at times
Mediocre part time employment with minimal advancements
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  43 Milner Ave1 January 2017
Employees are overwhelmed on a daily due to cheap staffing leading to angered customers that express themselves creating an environment of unnecessary stress. On top of that shift supervisors are placed under a lot of stress to meet unreal goals on a daily. As a result regular baristas as myself are sent home early on a consistent basis when business is slow.

Employees cannot base their life's income dependent on the flow of customer's especially during Holiday seasons.
Pros
Ability to make new relationships
Cons
too much unnecessary stress that could be avoided with minimal pay
A Team Oriented Environment for All
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2016
Working for Starbucks Canada was a wildly rewarding experience. On more occasions than not I was given the ability to experiment with contrived, traditional methods of workplace. I was encouraged to find new methods to make things work smoother for myself and my partners. I really enjoyed working for this company. I enjoyed moreso my own store and family I made there as well.
Pros
Flexible hours, free coffee, freedom, Corporate communication
Cons
Aprons, a lot of the colour green
productive
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
i met a lot of great people. the management wasn't great and i didn't enjoy the job. typical day at work would be taking customers order , and making drinks and stocking up and following clean , safe and ready. i learned to be patient. the management lacked coaching. they would use aggressiveness as a form of coaching. my co workers were great. the hardest part about the job is learning the recipe. the most enjoyable part is you meet great customers.
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.
Great Benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2016
Have been working for more than 3 years now.
Starbucks has awesome benefit plans and stock plans for baristas and consider all employees valuable partners.
Feel as though they would protect partners in any situations but the quality of customer service provided is tiresome to employees.
Customers are accustomed to 'just say yes' and 'make it right' so even when they arbitrarily want everything we have to say yes and provide everything.
I think all the partners deserve to get a lot more raise
Pros
Free beverages and great benefits
Cons
quality of customers
Positive atmosphere, friendly customers
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 November 2016
The best thing about working at Starbucks is the ability to build and maintain rapport with customers. We're encouraged to have conversations and learn about the people who come in. We joke with our customers, tell the occasional story, and listen about what's going on in their daily lives. That we are able to make them feel like people and not just a transaction really builds moral, at least for me.
My partners are wonderful, as well. Full of personality and good humour, they always make it a good time to come in to work.
Pros
Free coffee on your shift
Cons
The pay could be better, honestly.
Productive and a great working environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 December 2016
Multi tasking was required in order to achieve daily goals that were achieved through team efforts and constant encouragement of our supervisors. there was also product knowledge required to enhance the customer experience and most importantly - ensuring that the customer achieved a valuable experience each time they were served.
Pros
great team effort
Cons
can be difficult to multitask
An enjoyable and enriching experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
the typical day working at starbucks was, in one word, fun! i learned quite a lot of things such as; time management and leadership. The management were amazing and my co-workers were some of nicest people i've ever met. The hardest part about the job was that it was extremely hard to maintain while still being in school, if i could have done both i would. in general though, Starbucks was an amazing experience for me and would surely be the same for anyone else!
Pros
great people, fun workplace, nice pace, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no flexibility when it came to hours
Amazing workplace!
Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
This job is simply put amazing. The staff and management are all very helpful. You will find this to be a family type of group where we all look out for each other.

A typical day for me was opening the cafe and making sure everything was stocked and ready to go. Having freshly brewed coffee the minute we would open and have out pasty case full.

I learned a lot about coffee and tea! There is a great deal of work that goes into it. I also got to explore my pallet more wit doing coffee tastings.

The hardest part would be knowing all of those drinks off the top of your head and being able to keep up making them in the middle of a rush.

The most enjoyable part? The rush and coffee tastings, other Starbucks partners and knowing the regulars that come in.
Pros
Free Drinks, 30% Discount
An Amazing International Team
Barista Part Time (Former Employee) –  queens quay12 November 2016
Being apart of a Starbucks team has given me the opportunity to exercise my skills in a warm and buzzing environment. Being a barista at Starbucks has guaranteed a healthy and happy relationship with my fellow baristas at starbucks and most importantly serve the customers with a certain special interest to develop a welcoming relationship.
Pros
Great team. Great manager. Amazing customers.
Cons
Little space to work with, in my location.
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Fabulous place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 November 2016
A wonderful place to work where the coworkers and management make the workplace truly enjoyable. A typical day is generally quite busy, but each individual is given a specific role to follow, and the opportunity to switch roles if it becomes boring. Everyone is so helpful, and questions are always welcomed. Management is great, and so are the opportunities for advancement. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job is when you first start, because there is so much to learn and remember; but once you get the hang of things, its good. I enjoy all aspects of working here, especially making the drinks. Mostly because it gives you the chance to be super creative, and is especially rewarding when customers compliment what you have served them.
Great, friendly place to work at
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2016
As long as the store is set up for success, this can be a great place to work and a place to challenge your team and your self to be the best. It takes some great effort, and time to set up the store for success so you need to be willing to be available during all operating hours (as a store manager) because if something goes wrong and the store needs you, you need to be available.
Great atmosphere, active workplace, fantastic co-workers, great customers, poor training.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
Typical shift was from 3:30-5:30. This job refined my customer relation skills, I feel much more confident in talking to customers and suggesting products based off of that customers preference and experiences with products. My manager for this job wanted her employees to remember origins of pastry ingredients and that was a bit difficult to do especially because it was never a question that came up. I enjoyed crafting drinks but most of all connecting with customers and my coworkers.
Pros
Free drinks, 1lb of coffee per week.
Great Workplace but not for everyone
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2016
The job is very fast-paced and very stressful. I personally didn't get along with many of my coworkers, but that's not to say that another person wouldn't strive there. I learned very quickly how to think on my feet and how to connect with a customer while also providing fast and exceptional service.
Pros
Free drinks before, during, and after shift. Lots of Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low wages for amount of work done