Starbucks Employee Reviews

Horrible all around
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 February 2017
I worked for Starbucks in my 20s and the hours were awful and stressful, they paid me minimum wage with a master's degree, they never gave me the benefits they agreed to give, and there was no work life balance because all I was doing was working for Starbucks. Not to mention customers have high expectations of Starbucks products so they are rude, yell, scream on occasion and have such high expectations you'll injure yourself trying to please their clientele. If you make mistakes, your manager will fire you. Not to mention the bosses were stressful to handle because they also yell.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Too many. All around bad.
High Standards, but improved work ethics
Barista (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2017
Working at Starbucks required a lot of promotion and customer connection. However, this allowed me to comfortably connect with customers on a personal basis, while maintaining a professional appearance. It also improved my high pressured working ability and sought out ideas to improve efficiency while working. Management was all over the place. In working for a bit over a year, I have worked under 4 store managers. So, building a manager to employee relationship had it difficulties.
Solid place to work and advance your career
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB1 February 2017
Starbucks was an awesome opportunity for me to advance myself. I started off as a barista, making minimum wage, but after two years I had advanced to a barista trainer, to a shift supervisor, and then almost achieving an assistant manager role. My typical shift as a supervisor was to ensure that our peak periods were executed efficiently by placing baristas where they needed to be, and positioning myself to help where needed. I was also responsible for running breaks, maintaining correct labour hours, ensuring our tills and safe had the correct amount of cash needed, and preparing and dropping of a deposit.
Pros
Advancement, easy learning
Cons
Fast paced
Unique culture, lots of drama
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 January 2017
If you work for Starbucks, you live, eat and sleep Starbucks. No matter what store location, the culture is very modern, very millennial, and with that will be guaranteed some drama (just from your co-workers). The company itself is very clean and professional. You get good training and it is fun to work there. Good experience for anyone needs/wants the entry level fast food environment on their resume without working at McDonalds.
Pros
Free drinks, cool place to work
Cons
Co-worker drama
productive
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
i met a lot of great people. the management wasn't great and i didn't enjoy the job. typical day at work would be taking customers order , and making drinks and stocking up and following clean , safe and ready. i learned to be patient. the management lacked coaching. they would use aggressiveness as a form of coaching. my co workers were great. the hardest part about the job is learning the recipe. the most enjoyable part is you meet great customers.
Management was amazing
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
I worked at the Starbucks at YYC Airport in Calgary, the manager of the business at the time was absolutely amazing. He was very kind, caring and understanding... Supervisors and trainers were all kind and eager to help you succeed. I became comfortable and happy to work with my colleagues as well, due to them also being so kind and helpful. HR was not helpful, sent my T4 to the wrong address and was not cooperative or even responsive. Wage was average minimum, but hours were flexible and could be negotiated due to such amazing management. Quick paced and good job regardless where you are in your life.
Pros
management, free drinks, co-workers
Cons
Human Resource, wage
High stress, high demand, great staff
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2017
I worked at one of the busiest Starbucks' in Ottawa, where in a given half hour during peak hours, in excess of 60-80 customers served would be customary. As such, when you are responsible for making all of their drinks, the job is stressful. The job has further taught me how to cope with stress and it is for it that I may mostly attribute my ability to multi-task to the extent that I now may. Under such conditions, working in close proximity to the other staff members, you grow close to the other employees and I can consider most of them good friends to me now. The best part of the job is working with such amazing people and the probability of encountering so many great people in a given day.
Pros
free coffee and beans
Cons
stressful
Mediocre part time employment with minimal advancements
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  43 Milner Ave1 January 2017
Employees are overwhelmed on a daily due to cheap staffing leading to angered customers that express themselves creating an environment of unnecessary stress. On top of that shift supervisors are placed under a lot of stress to meet unreal goals on a daily. As a result regular baristas as myself are sent home early on a consistent basis when business is slow.

Employees cannot base their life's income dependent on the flow of customer's especially during Holiday seasons.
Pros
Ability to make new relationships
Cons
too much unnecessary stress that could be avoided with minimal pay
Fun
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
I really loved working at Starbucks. I can say this is one of the jobs that enabled my to expand my communication skills and my self confidence. Starbucks provides all the guidelines to makes a simple employee a professional barista. Management is very strict to the point even the manager got fired at some point. Co-worker were mostly girls, friendly but a little too gossipy. I cant judge all Starbucks managers, but both managers we had were unorganized. The hardest part of the job was to be able to learn all the menu. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had free drinks.
Pros
30% discount of food, free drinks
Cons
cant have free drinks when not on the clock
Great Work Environment and Friendly Staff
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 December 2016
Typical day at work involves cleaning counter tops and machines, making espresso based hot and cold drinks, coffee, tea, iced cold drinks and blended beverages. The coworkers and working environment are awesome and the work itself is fun too. The hardest part of the job is closing since it takes a while but the more practice you get doing it the faster it goes. By far the most enjoyable part is making connections with the customers and learning their stories and names.
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.
Very work friendly environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 December 2016
Working at Starbucks made me realize that even a small gesture can go a long way. On a typical day, the partners and customers are both very easy going, and the managers are very organized as well. The hardest part about working at Starbucks at my location specifically, is when it becomes very busy and we are low on staff. But over all because everyone is very easy going, it was very enjoyable working for Starbucks.
Pros
discounts on food and beverages, and merchandise
Cons
can be understaffed at times
Alright
Barista/Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Chestermere, AB27 January 2017
Not the best job I've had, the experience has been less than admirable. I regularly work with people at the beginning of adult life. It has little to do with engineering but I've learned to work effectively with unskilled workers to accomplish the collective goal of providing a nurturing environment for our customers.
Pros
Free coffee, diverse worker pool
Cons
early mornings, workplace drama, nontechnical work
A Team Oriented Environment for All
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2016
Working for Starbucks Canada was a wildly rewarding experience. On more occasions than not I was given the ability to experiment with contrived, traditional methods of workplace. I was encouraged to find new methods to make things work smoother for myself and my partners. I really enjoyed working for this company. I enjoyed moreso my own store and family I made there as well.
Pros
Flexible hours, free coffee, freedom, Corporate communication
Cons
Aprons, a lot of the colour green
turning ordinary to extraordinary.
Barista (Former Employee) –  medical city18 February 2017
Starbucks has been one of those companies that completely fascinates me. From everything written about them, they are run a lot different than most companies one reads about. their commitment to their customers, employees, and communities in which they reside is really unparalleled in the business world and I am constantly wondering how they make it work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fun work place with great co-workers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 February 2017
This job has provided me with extensive customer service experience as well as experience dealing with co-workers I have not gotten along with and also co-workers who will be life long friends. The job was extremely stressful at times, being a busy environment but that is part of what made time fly by.
Pros
Great coffee and free beverages
Cons
long hours, difficult shifts, unhappy customers
Great job for part-time students
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2017
Starbucks is the perfect job for young students that would like a flexible part-time job to make some money, but that is pretty much it. If you're not a student, and would like a full-time position this job is not for you. Tons of work and responsibility for minimum wages. If you would like weekends off to be with family, it is an unlikely option.
Pros
Free drinks, flexible hours
Cons
Little pay
Productive and a great working environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 December 2016
Multi tasking was required in order to achieve daily goals that were achieved through team efforts and constant encouragement of our supervisors. there was also product knowledge required to enhance the customer experience and most importantly - ensuring that the customer achieved a valuable experience each time they were served.
Pros
great team effort
Cons
can be difficult to multitask
Great place to work with if...
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
If you can handle the pressure set on you by the seniors, and are capable of learning quickly from mistakes, work life will be very easy. The most enjoyable is the bonds that can be made with not just the staff but also the customers you interact with. Since its an airport, you get to meet so many different types of people. And the things you can learn from them, you can take with you, wherever you go.
Pros
Awesome staff and customers
Cons
Stress and Pressure of a busy day
Inspirational and Fun working environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 February 2017
Starbucks is an environment to thrive on customer experience and connections. Training for the position was very knowledgeable, challenging and exciting. Getting to learn coffee not only as a beverage but also as a sustainable product, environmentally used. The product knowledge for customers to experience something different from any other coffee company.

The job had opportunities to show where improvement could be made as a Manager and as a partner. Tools were set in place to guide partners to self evaluate themselves and improve on any difficult learning along their journey.

Managing inspired individuals with a thirst for knowledge and then executing the education to make them better in their work environment, was the most rewarding part of the job.