Starbucks Employee Reviews

Great place to work, wonderful manager and incredible coworkers, welcoming environment
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2016
I love working in a fast pace environment and constantly being on my feet, always having a task that needs to be done helps me enjoy the work day. I learned how to be patient and calm during high stress times and how to handle customer complaints. I do not have a complaint about management. Everyone is very professional and helpful when needed. My co-workers are some of the most hardworking people I know. Everyone gets along and strives to make the best time for our customers and our store. The hardest part of my job would be the repetitiveness of it all. I like being challenged and doing something new everyday. I like learning how to do new things. The most enjoyable part of my job is the connections I make not only in the community but around the new friends I have made in the store. I love seeing customers smile or enjoy the drink they got. I love knowing that because we went out of our way to make things the best they could be they will be coming back.
Pros
Free drinks on the days that we worked and a discount on food.
Cons
Shorter breaks
easy and fun job
Barista Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2016
this job was very easy and fun too bcz you always have communication with the customer, also it was a great time to work, good managers, very flexible with the schedules
Working at Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 28, 2016
Starbucks is a company that is evidently successful in aligning their vision and goals with their strategies. As a barista at starbucks, I was always encouraged to develop strong customer connections and do our best to provide them with the best service possible.

In most cases, profit was not the priority but rather creating a valuable experience for our customers and getting to know who they are.

In terms of the work space environment, employees are encouraged to be engaged with one another by writing "green apron cards" which are cards that one could either anonymously or openly encourage or compliment another partner on their accomplishments at work.
Pros
extremely rewarding customer connections and developed relationships
Cons
high demand for physical labour
great collegues, great customers great place to work
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2016
made coffee and all types of beverages, learn how to time manage and multitask, very hard when during rush hour. starbucks is biggest coffee company other and most expensive, very stressful and challenging, but worth it
Management Requires Improvement in conduct, HR, scheduling, inventory
Barista (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON (woodbine & denison)September 21, 2016
It's a decent job and can be very fun and rewarding.
But knowing my schedule less than one week in advance after being promised two weeks over a year ago is some what disheartening.
Pros
good people
Cons
they don't pay you much more when you have become much more experienced.
Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Starbucks is a wonderful place to work. Part time benefits, bi yearly raises, free coffee! . Opportunity to move forward and work up through many avenues.

Pleasant atmosphere, able to build relationships with customers and co workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 20, 2016
Connecting with each other, with our customers and the communities we are a part of fosters a deep sense of purpose at Starbucks. We believe we can all become a part of something bigger and inspire positive change in the world around us. That’s why we go out to do community service as a team throughout the year.
fast paced pressure environment, committment to excellance
Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Westbank, BCSeptember 17, 2016
learned to speak fluent "starbuckanese"
learned how to deal with diverse customer portfolio
Starbucks co-worker family was wonderful, great team environment
Pros
promotes team building and working environment
Cons
management dis-connect more likely depending on mgr.
Calling all coffee lovers, this is your place!
Barista- Customer Service Lead/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 16, 2016
Where can I begin, I've been with Starbucks 3.5years now and It truly is an incredible company to work for. You can be as flexible as you want or need with your schedule and your manager will still accommodate your needs and wishes. There is a lot to love here, free drinks on every break and a 30-40% discount on any item as well, not to mention weekly mark outs of coffee, teas etc.

I work at a drive through and on most days (especially during the school year) it is very busy and we have lots of tasks to complete. This can be the hardest part about the jobs because of how overwhelming it can seem but if you just keep calm you're fine!

Your customers will be the best and worst part of your day, just when you think one has ruined your day you turn around and another makes it back for you, they are the reason Starbucks is a thing!

Can we talk benefits? OMG they are amazing!! You only have to work 20hrs a week and you get full benefits, Starbucks believes pure heartedly in home and work life balance.

All in all, it's a wonderful company to work for!
Pros
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS, Free coffee, amazing customers
Cons
High Stress
learn quick
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 15, 2016
there are 3 main responsibilities for a barista making drinks, supporting customers, or being on the register. Most often during a shift people get to alternate jobs so that it isn't a long day on one thing. Managers are very flexible with scheduling and appreciating people who are in school or work a second job like myself.
Pros
free beverages and discount on food items
Cons
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 13, 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Great place but not an easy job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 10, 2016
I'll come out with saying this is not an easy job. If you're considering working here, don't do it if you want an easy job. It is a mentally, emotionally and physically demanding job and you need to be ready for that. Having said that, I love working for Starbucks. The company treats you amazing, and you grow so close with your coworkers, it feels like family. It is a very rewarding job. I mean free coffee every week and free drinks? I'll take that every day. But great company to work for. Just be ready to work your butt off.
Pros
Free drinks, free coffee, amazing environment
Cons
Physically demanding, crabby customers
high achievement work with a world class company
Cafe Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 8, 2016
it is a very good company to work with. not enough hours, fast pace. modern, good image of the company.
Alway have new things coming up. the management is very good. the team works is important.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
not enough hours
A great company with substantial opportunitites
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Starbucks constantly allows you to learn and grow within the company. The customers and fellow staff create a positive and dynamic work environment and every partner experience is unique.
Friendly Place To Work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 2, 2016
On a day to day basis, working as a barista at Starbucks is very busy! But all the customers are friendly, my co-workers are great. I love this job.
Pros
Can be creative and make your own drinks
Cons
constant busy
Had potential to be an enjoyable workplace IF managing staff was better
Barista (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Working at Starbucks seems like it would be a fun job, however, it was extremely fast-paced and required multitasking skills and the ability to work under stress. The only enjoyable aspect of the job was that I made some genuine friends, and most of my coworkers made the shift bearable. Management was a nightmare, and sometimes the floor would be improperly staffed, causing many problems and frustration among the entire team. The job puts a priority on how sociable an employee is and disregards how well the employee works.
Pros
30% discount on food, drinks and merchandise as well as free drinks during your breaks.
Cons
stressful work conditions, long hours sometimes without properly scheduled breaks, juggling multiple responsibilities sometimes without the help of coworkers, minimal people working at a time
Great work environment and fun experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work would be to make and serve coffee and food to customers waiting for their flight and also to employees working at the airport.

I learned that I am very good at memorizing information to give better service to customer when they need information about the menu. Also, I learned how to manage stress very well since we would get many rush hours a day.

Overall the management was good but still they had some issues when it comes to communication since there was too many different managers to manage different restaurants all around the airport.

I really enjoyed working with the co-workers I had a good team work with.

The hardest part would be when I would work harder if I was working with co-workers that would not want to work well.

The most enjoyable part was the work environment, with travelers from all around the world and fun co-workers to work with as a team.
Always a great team to work with at every store.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCAugust 24, 2016
Sometimes it would be quite busy and hectic but I always knew I could rely on my team. Every store I worked at had a great team. I received a great deal of knowledge about coffee while working there. The management in many cases weren't the best. It often felt like they weren't even there; spending most of their time hiding in the back away from the work. This was the case in many stores that I worked at. The most difficult thing on a day to day basis was making everything run smoothly. Sometimes we would be busier than we would have expected to be and so breaks might get a bit behind. As a supervisor it was my job to ensure that this didn't happen. It was also my job however to ensure that the lineup moved as quickly as possible. Trying to find balance between my customer's needs and my teams needs could sometimes prove to be difficult. It was my team and the regulars that would come in would make my day. They were always so joyful and happy to be there. Seeing their happiness always brought a smile to my face.
Pros
Free drinks on breaks while working.
Fantastic place to gain experience
Barrista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
Despite it's stressful nature, life as a barrista was pretty great. Management clearly outlined what was expected of their employees. Great co-workers and a fun work environment.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Always busy
Starbucks Review
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2016
The stress and harassment that has occurred in the store that I worked at for many years was not worth the time being employed there. Manager at that store I worked for was verbally abusive to the staff all the time. But overall the customers and my employees made work bearable.