Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 1,035 reviews matching the search
Advancement opportunity very low
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
Even though the company always talk about how much they value partners, they are usually hiring external for management possession with more pay than an internal hire. If you want to grow a career in Starbucks you are much better off leaving the company and trying your luck for a better position from outside. its an amazing place to work as long as you have good management team, however more often you will end-up having an external manager walking in who has no clue about the business and will most likely make work life miserable for you for at least few years till they understand what is actually going on. All that said i still highly recommend Starbucks for students and part-time workers. As long as you are not to ambitious of growing within the company you will be fine and work environment is far better than most other fast food giants.
Flexible hours, free food and management that may or may not care
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 March 2017
Flexible hours with multiple shift lengths so it was excellent work as a student, free food at end of day was another bonus. Room for advancement to shift-supervisor or assistant manager if desired. Learn how to make coffee and take home a box of tea or a pound (454g) from any Starbucks in the world once a week.
Learn if you can handle dealing with irate customers looking for a caffeine fix for hours on end with a smile.
Strong corporate culture - with lots of coworkers on the floor at once, you'll quickly learn how to work in a team while simultaneously learning that you can be quickly and easily replaced.
Decent management is directly related to how happy you and your coworkers are - will they help mitigate a rush or sit in the back doing paperwork?
Best part? Making genuine friends and decent chance of starting a career in coffee (if desired)
Pros
Free food, excellent coworkers and good management
Cons
Poor management leads to low morale
Was good when I started.....
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
Company preaches Job work/life balance but does't allow management to practice that, you are on call 24/7 even when you are on vacation. Salary was good if you were only working 40 hours/week. Benefits and partner perks were good. Lack on consistent support from DM's and RD's. Never challenge the status quo!! Company has changed and store managers are not as important or valued as shift supervisors and baristas in my opinion. There is a lack of consistency across cities, and provinces.
An enjoyable and enriching experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
the typical day working at starbucks was, in one word, fun! i learned quite a lot of things such as; time management and leadership. The management were amazing and my co-workers were some of nicest people i've ever met. The hardest part about the job was that it was extremely hard to maintain while still being in school, if i could have done both i would. in general though, Starbucks was an amazing experience for me and would surely be the same for anyone else!
Pros
great people, fun workplace, nice pace, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no flexibility when it came to hours
Company growth has changed it. Great product, culture.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON20 March 2017
Love the culture, or what the culture was. Shift to sales, perfection, constantly writing people up. "Performance Managing." Long hours, high expectations, little to no support. The employees, and the great product kept me there too long. I left after my health had already become compromised, my bad. Only way to get close to doing a good job is to be there all of the time, or short your floors-abuse your employees. I left because this did not gel with who I was, nor did it gel with the position I applied for, the company I loved. Seemed, in hindsight, too many changes, too many expectations, completely de-motivating experience for all. Sad turn of events.
Pros
Mark-outs (free product weekly), great product, fair wages.
Cons
Long hours, expecattions are ridiculous, little to no tools, support
Fantastically organized, with hours in plenty.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Steveston, BC17 March 2017
Starbucks is an incredible place to work for a college student looking to receive stable income and benefits, along with flexible hours, or for someone looking to climb the company chain and make a career.

The work pace was very busy, particularly in the summer with sales reaching very high amounts considering the average of $5 per customer. Due to the pace being so incredibly high, shifts would often fly by in the blink of an eye. I loved how the shift felt like a team working towards a common goal, and not individuals working to grind through the day.

Unfortunately the company went through a nation wide series of labour cuts and benefits changes, which was discouraging to a lot of bottom level employees, including Baristas.
Pros
Free coffee, along with strong team relationships.
Cons
Some days can be especially tiring, specifically statutory holidays.
A great company overall!
Barista / Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
There is never a dull moment working at Starbucks. The company is well known so they attract different types of customers as well as different types of workers. Everyone was diverse. The managers were encouraging and helpful, always willing to listen to you when you had a problem and making sure things were alright with you in your personal life and work life. I learned a lot of interpersonal skills, customer service skills, how to work quick on my feet, think outside the box, express my creativity, and maintain some great relationships with customers and coworkers. The hardest part about the job would have had to have been the hours being varied at different stores so there wasn't as much work some weeks as there was others.
Pros
Upbeat environment, opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Not knowing how many hours you were going to get each week.
Amazing company, great benefits, team oriented
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
Starbucks is an amazing company to work for. The culture is always friendly, positive, and customer focused. The benefits open to you while working for the company are great. There is always opportunity for advancement, however, the road to get there can sometimes be somewhat ambiguous. Overall, Starbucks is a great company to work for.
Horrible all around
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 February 2017
I worked for Starbucks in my 20s and the hours were awful and stressful, they paid me minimum wage with a master's degree, they never gave me the benefits they agreed to give, and there was no work life balance because all I was doing was working for Starbucks. Not to mention customers have high expectations of Starbucks products so they are rude, yell, scream on occasion and have such high expectations you'll injure yourself trying to please their clientele. If you make mistakes, your manager will fire you. Not to mention the bosses were stressful to handle because they also yell.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Too many. All around bad.
Our store provides the fastest and quality service - Drive Thru Store
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC22 March 2017
I love working with people who have become close and personal friends, it is like a family. Team work is essential this environment. The hardest part of my day is dealing with customers that I can not make happy no matter how much I try. Some people will just not be happy no matter the effort you put in to make it right. There is a new challenge every day and I love it.
Pros
Benefits package is great, Starbucks stocks, 1lb coffee/tea markout per week
Cons
Minimum wage to start, small raises
Fun
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
I really loved working at Starbucks. I can say this is one of the jobs that enabled my to expand my communication skills and my self confidence. Starbucks provides all the guidelines to makes a simple employee a professional barista. Management is very strict to the point even the manager got fired at some point. Co-worker were mostly girls, friendly but a little too gossipy. I cant judge all Starbucks managers, but both managers we had were unorganized. The hardest part of the job was to be able to learn all the menu. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had free drinks.
Pros
30% discount of food, free drinks
Cons
cant have free drinks when not on the clock
Fabulous place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 November 2016
A wonderful place to work where the coworkers and management make the workplace truly enjoyable. A typical day is generally quite busy, but each individual is given a specific role to follow, and the opportunity to switch roles if it becomes boring. Everyone is so helpful, and questions are always welcomed. Management is great, and so are the opportunities for advancement. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job is when you first start, because there is so much to learn and remember; but once you get the hang of things, its good. I enjoy all aspects of working here, especially making the drinks. Mostly because it gives you the chance to be super creative, and is especially rewarding when customers compliment what you have served them.
Flat passive aggressive cult organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
You need to come up through the stores to be successful at Starbucks, period. Processes are non-existent, and instead of giving, the company takes away - i.e. because Vancouver does not recognize Boxing Day, and Toronto does, and Vancouver recognizes Civic Holiday and in toronto it's not a stat, they have taken Boxing Day away from Vancouver as a holiday and August civic holiday for Ontario. Benefits are great if you are a barista, but as a manager in the office, not competitive. you must be passionate about coffee and the values, otherwise you will get called out. You cannot be authentic unless Starbucks values are your default values. Not an easy organization to maneuver, and the organization has no interest in fixing it, but now they admit it. Not an easy place to come in externally and unless you assimilate, you will not be successful - the organization admits they have high turnover in external hires. Start in stores, work up, and you will be successful at Starbucks.
Pros
Coffee tastings, bean stock, location
Cons
Senior leadership, tough to be successful as an external hire
Fun
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia17 March 2017
Fun workplace, good atmosphere.. depending on which store you work at. Management can be good, again depending on the store. Good benefits, can book time off for events. Pay needs to increase, raises .5c every 6 months for your review.
Pros
Free coffee during shift, free pound coffee/week.
Cons
Pay
Great place to start off
Barista/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2017
Good working atmosphere
Positive co workers
Flexible schedule
Pay not so great
Understanding management
Able to transfer locations
Stocks and tuition options
Free drinks and more free drinks
Free coffee and tea each week to take home
Tips were ok deleting on the location
Customer usually really nice and talkative
Excellent training
Easy advancement
Pros
Flexible schedule and tons of free stuff
Cons
Pay
High Standards, but improved work ethics
Barista (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2017
Working at Starbucks required a lot of promotion and customer connection. However, this allowed me to comfortably connect with customers on a personal basis, while maintaining a professional appearance. It also improved my high pressured working ability and sought out ideas to improve efficiency while working. Management was all over the place. In working for a bit over a year, I have worked under 4 store managers. So, building a manager to employee relationship had it difficulties.
Great Benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2016
Have been working for more than 3 years now.
Starbucks has awesome benefit plans and stock plans for baristas and consider all employees valuable partners.
Feel as though they would protect partners in any situations but the quality of customer service provided is tiresome to employees.
Customers are accustomed to 'just say yes' and 'make it right' so even when they arbitrarily want everything we have to say yes and provide everything.
I think all the partners deserve to get a lot more raise
Pros
Free beverages and great benefits
Cons
quality of customers
Great at first
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 October 2016
Loved it at first, then new management came along. Still a great job with many benefits such as free beverages and pounds of coffee. It's great to see our regulars come in everyday. Type of place with lots of turnover and out of a staff of around 20 only 3 have been there since I started a year ago. Working nights is extremely easy and laid back but the mornings are complete opposite. It becomes extremely repetitive, maybe it's seeing the same customers everyday or making the same drinks a 100 times a day but overall it's not a bad job.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere, awesome customers.
Cons
No hours, poor management, understaffed in busy situations.
very good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  philippines22 February 2017
very good, nice benefits

so busy depending on location

learned alot

culture is ok except from new management they are bully

free drinks
Culture has changed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
Starbucks has gone from a company that leads through its people to a company which ignores its people. The Culture has created a bad place to work as it is pushing out talent as people try to cover their butts and blame someone else.
Pros
Free Bevs, discounts, benefits and mark outs.
Cons
Must become a robot and follow what someone else tells you to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2