Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
Fun place to work and gain person connections
Barista (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 26, 2016
Working for Starbucks is such a great experience. As a barista you do have a long list of responsibilities that need to be learnt and maintained. Starbucks hire people with the same personality so it is easy to make friends with co-workers and even customers. At times customers can become extremely disrespectful to you and as a barista it is your responsibility to "make it right", which is probably the worst part about working at Starbucks. Despite what may happen, top managers and managers will always protect their employees.
good benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 24, 2016
i have learned business model and management skills. good coworkers. The hardest part of job is managing partners under my control when it is busy
Fun workplace and amazing coworkers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2016
When I first began working there, I was nervous. But I was welcomed onto the team quickly and the partners were very welcoming. The store manager is really kind and is someone you can talk to about pretty much anything.
Pros
Free drinks before, after, and during shift, good benefits, and free coffee or tea every week
Cons
Shift work
Productive, fun & fast paced
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 20, 2016
Early days.
Great for both team and individual building experience.
Great customer interaction.
Non-stop, face paced environment.
Pros
Benefits. Free products.
Cons
Early hours.
Life is ok as a barista
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto and MississaugaJune 16, 2016
I worked for this company for almost three years at two different locations. Day to day life had ups and downs, but I didn't mind my time spent there.

The company as a whole has reasonable values. The benefits and perks are pretty good. The work isn't too challenging, and I have a lot of good memories from working there. Being a Starbucks barista - both current and former - is like being part of a worldwide fraternity/sorority. You can go into any location and say you are a partner/former partner and strike up an awesome conversation with a stranger like you are friends. Even in other jobs, or on the street. Bump into a current/former partner and you have a great interaction. You learn some valuable work skills, and its so much more than just pouring coffee. Working for Starbucks is character building and I would recommend it to everyone!

My only real qualm about the job, is a big part of your experience completely depends on the type of people that you work with. My first location the manager was TERRIBLE. She was a nasty woman and everyone in the district disliked her - barista and other managers alike. Even the customers didn't like her. Working for her was stressful, and the number of corners she cut to make targets was going as far as to compromise customer experience and the overall general wellbeing of the store and her team. But the fellow baristas and most of the supervisors were pretty cool to work with.

The second store I worked for had an AMAZING manager! But half the rest of the staff were lazy/rude/difficult to work with.

Still, I would say this is
  more... a good company to work for. Besides - if you don't fit in at your store location, you can always transfer to another one.  less
Pros
Perks, work is ok, fun, benefits, flexible hours, free coffee
Cons
Some people can be jerks
No hours but an enjoyable job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 15, 2016
the location I worked at was poorly managed. I was promised 15-30 hours weekly but regularly got fewer than 12. The job itself is fine, no real complaints.
Fun place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJune 15, 2016
Good company to work for, for the most part. It's minimum wage which is not great but I always have fun at work. I get to meet new people every day.
Pros
Free drinks, free coffee weekly
Cons
minimum wage
Fun faced paced place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJune 14, 2016
If you like being super busy for your entire shift then you'll love Starbucks. you make drinks and ring in sales. good for learning customer service skills
productive, fun work environment, allowed me to progress
partner (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJune 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with the management, I had the opportunity to interact with managers, district managers and even the president of Starbucks and got the chance to see how they maintain the Starbucks culture.
Pros
great culture, work environment, create lasting friendships and relationships with partners and customers
Cons
I didn't find any cons
Very hit or miss in regards to it being worthwhile.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  AlbertaJune 13, 2016
I have been with the company for 4 years now and while I do like the job, there are some things I really dislike.
The people I work with are amazing and I've made some lifelong friendships during my time here.
Regular customers can be amazing but they can also be some of the worst people you'll come across.
I love what the company stood for when I first started but in the last few years it's changed. They say that they still want customers to be the sole focus but at a barista level, they're more concerned about the numbers than the customer connection.
Because of the endless customizations, Starbucks has created customers who have turned into monsters. I have been verbally attacked and abused by customers but we aren't allowed to do anything about it. For the pay, it's not worth it.
The management has been very hit or miss. I've had one amazing manager, one who ran a tight ship but treated us like garbage and one who let her shifts run the store for her without experience.
It's enough pay to scrape by on but not enough to get ahead in life, even with a prorated pay due to my years of experience.
Pros
Free coffee, awesome coworkers
Cons
monster customers, management
Positive work environment
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 12, 2016
very positive work environment with good management and lots of benefits such as free drinks while on shift and discounted prices
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
can be stressful
Productive and fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 10, 2016
the atmosphere at Starbucks is great - other baristas are friendly, the customers are often lively and happy. The job is fast paced, but not overwhelming. The treats are a perk as well.
Great Job, Learned a lot!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
Great culture, but difficult work/life balance. Wonderful to have worked for such a forward thinking company. The expectations for store managers seem very high. My peers and I would consistently work 50+hour weeks between floor time and admin time. There's more to life than that.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Long Hours
Great Training and Customer Service Experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 7, 2016
Starbucks is a great company if you want to learn to how to balance customer service as well as providing efficient services. They're training is reliable and professional. Probably the best part about working for them.
Pros
Training, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Physical Demand (ie. Opening, closing shifts)
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
As other minimum wage jobs, sometimes you don't always have the best co-workers but the corporation itself really takes care of its employees, makes sure they have continued training and lots of great benefits.
Productive and fun work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 7, 2016
I loved the staff and the ambiance at work, however I did not like the new manager that was a lot more strict and bossy than the previous one we had... He did not managed well the store and was not very welcoming. I still learned a lot from working there, they have a great clientele and the shifts were very variable which made the job different every day.
Pros
Easy to switch/give away/take shifts
Cons
Salary
n/a
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
had been in the company for almost 4 years and it has been great .
got the required training and employee treatment that any employee deserves
great benefits
Productive and fun workplace to work in
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  4 King West Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
Starbucks provides a very welcoming environment where baristas have the freedom to add their personality in the workplace and essentially allowing them to provide a personal individual service to the customers. This liberation is what makes the customers become part of Starbucks every day.
Pros
Free drinks
very fast pace and have to be a strong team player
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
very competitive pace and you have to be ready to give it 110% every shift. Depending on the store your skill set will be developed accordingly
Pros
always learning
Cons
not enough time to absorb sometimes