Starbucks

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
awful french dragon lady in district 2010
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 28, 2015
Pros: free coffee, discounts, benefits
Cons: not enough hours, low wages
great company overall but certainly areas that could be improved on. HIGH turnover rate. management can get overworked and district managers can be way to nit picky.
Fast-paced, great staff and customers.
Barista (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABAugust 27, 2015
We've all seen the jokes out there of "I can't keep calm, I'm a barista", well it's kind of true. It can become very stressful when you're in the middle of a rush and one person is slowing everyone down, but if you focus and breathe and just take it one step at a time, it can become a lot of fun..

The best part of a day was always just being able to make people smile with a comment or a gesture or even just by laughing at yourself when you muck up..
Great company to work for
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), St Catharines, ONAugust 27, 2015
Starbucks offers great benefits and Bean Stock options for all full-time and even some part-time partners. My position as a shift supervisor has me busy all day with serving customers, daily cleaning duties and other responsibilities such as placing the daily milk and paper order, food inventory count, bank deposits and running breaks and deployment on the floor.
Great Company in Theory Only
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2015
The practices set by corporate are wonderful, but are often not followed through with at the store level, and are sometimes discouraged (WSIB claims specifically). The company recently has cut extra programs and benefits (Partner Appreciation Week specifically, a program that costs approx. $2mill.), citing too much expense, despite neting Billions of dollars in the previous calendar year. Other initiatives have been cut, including keeping orthopaedic floor mats, because they take too long to clean. There are also many flaws in the management system hierarchy, often leaving store managers grossly unmanaged, and leaving other partners in the store with no place to turn with complaints.
If you like coffee work at Starbucks
Barista (Former Employee), 250 Queen Street WestAugust 18, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: long hours sometimes, very stressful
I work there for 2 years when I first came out of high school. It was a great experience even though our store was always packed and it was very stressful at times. The store manger at the time was the greatest mentor I ever had, I learned a lot from him. I was too young to realize what I had there but I left because I was promised a promotion I never received while I saw others be promoted, I was very mad. Now I realize that I may have been to young. Great Place, my dental coverage was the best!!! Miss it all the time.
Busy and productive
Barista (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 17, 2015
It was typically busy as it was in a grocery store, the hours were good. Some Times it was hard to work around my school schedule. It was a fun environment.
Customer Service
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), 655 dixion rdAugust 17, 2015
Customer service is very important to me because I like when people feel good and aslo happy. I aslo like when customers feel welcome and knowing that they are going home, work, or where ever happy.
Productive but understaffed sometimes.
Barista (Former Employee), AirdrieAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Discount at starbucks
Cons: Understaffed at times
My manager sometimes have moments where the non-busy hours were overstaffed and the rush hours were understaffed.
My experience was great. I learned how to use coffee-related machines as well as I learned to make latte arts.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the rush during rush hours as we have our cafe floor customers and drive thru customers.
The most enjoyable part of the job are having to face with different nice people and co-workers.
Excellent employees, fun to work at
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Langley BCAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, benefits, training
Cons: Management, salary
Fun work place, easy to move up, coworkers were excellent. Management changed every 6 months or so, had to adapt to new management styles, not enough pay for doing managerial duties.
Wonderful atmosphere to work in with great career opportunities
Supervisor (Former Employee), Alexandria VAAugust 10, 2015
Typical work day consisted firstly of World Class Customer Service, as well as cash management, delegating, multi-tasking, continually learning and growing.

My favorite part of the job as building relationships with customers and co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was doing everything in a day that Starbucks wanted: Daily Coffee tasting, IMS, Cash Management, Quasa, Cleaning, Supervising to be sure standards are being met, and providing World Class Customer Service.

It was a lot to handle, but I did rise to the challenged and was promoted to Assistant Manager. Unfortunately, I had to move back to Canada before I could begin my official role as an ASM.
Productive and fun place to work with great benefits
Barista (Current Employee), Beaumont, ABAugust 7, 2015
Pros: 30% discount, benefits
Cons: schedules were often late and inaccurate to availabilities
A typical day of work includes cleaning tasks and creating inspiring moments in each customers day, providing high quality beverages on a timely manner and acting with integrity and honesty to promote Starbucks culture. You need to respond to customers needs by constantly evaluating the environment and customers for cues. Management was ok, often wouldn't follow my availability but almost always corrected to it would. Co workers were amazing people. Very ease to connect with and to have a good time while working. Hardest part of the job was when customers would come to workers with questions regarding the app. We are not trained with the app so we had limited knowledge of the app and many clients got frustrated. Most enjoyable would be creating those inspiring moments every day and giving them their coffee they would need to get through the work day.
Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free coffee daily, No weekend shifts, Great benefits, and a Overall great company to be employed by
Cons: Lack of hours due to poor scheduling, Hourly wage was quite low and seeing the amount of waste of food.
This job was so outstanding on so many levels;

I created friendships for life with my fellow baristas and customers
Loved engaging
Always learning something new such a drink ideas
Always room for growth.

A typical day at work would begin very early to open the store at 5:30 am. I would begin by brewing coffee in the proper order, placing all the fresh pastries in the show case. I would then get my till ready making sure the cash was correct and the make sure all the syrups and teas where prepared for the morning rush. From 7 am till 9 am I would be on the till ringing in customers orders and collecting pastries. After this time I would take a break to then begin sanitizing and organizing the pastry case for lunch menu items while serving new customers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult customers but was also a great learning experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around my regular customers and creating new beverages with my fellow baristas. We got very creative.
Great Customer Service
Barista, Barista Trainer (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 29, 2015
Starbucks has a great atmosphere and culture, enjoy working with my co-workers. The benefits are fantastic, and available for everyone (part-time and full time employees).
Loved the job
Barista (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONJuly 29, 2015
I loved my team and pretty much the job of a Starbucks barista. The benefits could have been better though. The hours were long as well. Keep in mind that I worked at the one in Canada's Wonderland.
Great environment where everyone keeps smiling
Barista (Current Employee), Saint John, NBJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Free Partner Beverages, Partner Markouts, Benefits
Cons: Only get minimum wage for an insane amount of work
A fun and relaxed work place where partners make each location feel the same for customers.
There are rules for a reason, but some concerning appearance are a bit old, and could be updated.
Overall, it is a great company with many perks and benefits are great.
Starbucks - great job culture, and management!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Free markouts, partner beverages, partner discounts
Cons: repetitive tasks, pay is not high
Starbucks provide a great working experience especially for students looking for part-time jobs. Training is extensive and your co-workers are always available to give you any help if needed when you start off, making the learning curve less daunting. Once you've settled and adapted to their work culture and the environment, day to day work could be repetitive and hours of shift could seem long due to that fact. Overall if you're a student seeking a job or you like coffee shop environments, and don't mind repetitive tasks and you like working with a team then this is a job you should consider applying for!
Opening duties, delegate tasks throughout day, bank deposit, order, flex the floor to ease bottlenecks
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, coffee masters certification course
Cons: inconsistent hours make it hard to make a monthly budget.
Working for a well established company like Starbucks is a very rewarding job. The job atmosphere is amazing and the early morning rushes make for a quick day. There is always something to do to stay busy.
Overall Great Experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaJuly 25, 2015
Out of all my previous jobs, Starbucks has been the best.
I have learnt about how to manage a team, make delicious beverages and interact genuinely with customers in a busy environment. As a supervisor I was given the responsibility to coach each of the partners on connecting with customers, promoting in store products and feeling to confident with the provided equipment.
Overall good job.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of benefits, working with people all day, good break times, better then usual pay.
Cons: A "mean-girl" environment, lots of restrictions about uniform, management wasn't the best.
My review on the company is sort of biased. I've loved the idea of working at Starbucks since I was 12-13. Of course, being that age, I couldn't necessarily work there. When I got a call back when I turned 16 I was honestly thrilled. Our manager at the time Vik, was great. He wrote me a personal development plan so the day I turned 18 if I was still with the company I would be shift manager or assistant manager. We currently have a new manager Kamilah and she isn't the most professional. She mostly just sits in the back room. So I'm leaving, which makes me sad but it is what it is. At the end of the day, Starbucks is a great company, but the management just isn't for me. Now it is understandable that you aren't going to always love your boss, but it became a very cliquey workplace and extremely unprofessional. I love the majority of my co-workers and it's a fun place to work. I just need to branch out.
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2015
Good place to work if you're a student as it is very flexible. Work with other students as well so it has a very easy going atmosphere.
Revenue