Starbucks
3,924 reviews

Starbucks Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun part-time experience for working in Starbucks (on Campus)
Barista & Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 16, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Open the store in the morning...prepare all the coffee. snack..beverage ...i learned how to cook different coffee. like how long it will take for blond coffee. etc...My supervisor and co-workers are very nice and helpful.. i love to communicate with customers and i remembered what are their favorites and offered their drinks to them ...enjoy their smiles – more... every morning ... – less
Fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2014
Pros: free drinks on your breaks and lunch
Cons: cons is open to late.
Customer service and talk to many new people
how to make drinks and cashing out.
management is good.
co-workers rock
Not having enough people to pass the time
most enjoyable is meeting new people an tourists
great working environment
Barista (Former Employee), Red DeerAugust 14, 2014
Pros: close to school
Cons: too many shifts
This is a great experience, and not only a very fun job, close to school, also very lovable co-workers. I learned a lot, from how to make/serve coffee, to how to interact with different kind of customers.
productive and fun. social and friendlt
barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2014
Pros: employee benefits, staff discount
i have learned a lot about time management, the value of knowing your product and how to handle difficult customers. threw my experiences i have gained a high level of respect for my managers as well as other coworkers. being able to rely on them when need be to gain knowledge and become a better employee. the hardest part of my job is also the most – more... enjoyable part of my job, maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. making sure everything i do is appeasing them can be difficult but when the customer walks away happy i am happy – less
It was very nice to work in starbucks but i wanted try something new
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary,AlbertaAugust 12, 2014
Pros: 50% discount
Cons: non
At starbucks i never face a typical day, what i learned to be positive attitude and my co-worker are really great. there wasn't hard part and i always enjoyed there.
I am good with customer relations, in 20 years working i never had complaint about my service.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCAugust 7, 2014
Pros: enjoy coffee and so i think i can help people decide what they may like
Cons: want part time work
On all occasions that I have been a customer at Starbucks I was treated well.
I think I could be an asset to your company.
I have been in a management position before so I could be relief to management.
I am able to keep spirits up while working.
I enjoy working with the public.
strict, unproductive.
Shift supervisor (Current Employee), richmond hill, onAugust 5, 2014
Pros: customers, coffee.
Cons: strict rules, no tattoos, pircings, gossip
The store I'm at, its like high school, gossip and such. The customers are amazing and pleasing them is the best part of my day.
BARISTA (Current Employee), Trinoma Mall, Quezon City BranchAugust 4, 2014
My job was an excellent learning opportunity and I developed my skills and experience in numerous different ways.I was then able to put this training into practice on a day-to-day basis.

In my team. I don't expect my team to go it alone; I am very much the type of person who pitches in to ensure the work gets done when needed. At the same time, however, – more... I make sure that people are doing their role to their best ability and to find out why they might not be if things are going wrong for them. I consider myself to be very open-minded and approachable - I love hearing new ideas from my team and will try to implement them if they benefit the firm and the team as a whole. I'm a good listener and I am always ready to listen to staff when they experience problems and need help. I am highly ethical and will always ensure that my team is well briefed on accountability needs.

You have to take care of so many people at a time that everything is rushed. You end up cutting a lot of corners just to get it all done. You're constantly racing against the clock, especially if you actually try to do your job right.

I met a lot of people and i was able to experience many new things that I had ever experienced before. I made a lot of new friends from surrounding communities there are many interesting things that happen late at night and it really opens your eyes. – less
You have to be a very outgoing person and customer service is a high priority!!!
Store Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 3, 2014
Pros: upbeat fun fast paced enviroment
The hardest part of the job was being up early to open up at 5am Other than that I never considered working at Starbucks hard it was a job I very much enjoyed going to everyday. The people I worked with were wonderful and the customers were even better.
Fun place to work. Free pound of coffee every week, and benefits for employees who work 20 or more hours a week
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), vancouverAugust 1, 2014
Pros: upbeat and friendly work enviornment
Cons: fairly low pay for assistant manager
Starbucks is a great environment to work in. The training is great and advancement opportunities are there for the motivated individual.

Great company for community envolvement.
Poor management of service personel
service tech (Former Employee), Vancouver B.C. Calgary ABJuly 31, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours
Would perform preventive maintenance on all equipment in store
install new equipment,train staff in preventative maintenance
Traveled to often sometimes gone for up to 14 days.
Hostile Environment
Barista (Current Employee), Markham, ONJuly 31, 2014
Depending on which location you work at, each management team is different. While some managers may be very understanding, some are not.

The location that I was placed is a very well off community - customers are self righteous, expect to be treated like Kings and Queens for paying more than 4$ for a cup of coffee.
Great job atmosphere
Barista (Current Employee), The Ramada Hotel, Downtown Prince GeorgeJuly 29, 2014
Pros: nice and friendly people, discounts
Cons: can be occasionally understaffed, a lot of cleaning tasks, a lot of memorize
Surrounded by positive and friendly Coworkers and customers, Drink recipes can be a little overwhelming to learn at first but eventually it will all come together. Communicating with both Customers and coworkers make this job really fun and one of the best places I have ever worked at.
It's a fun place to work, great staff, good benefits, and flexible hours.
Barista (Former Employee), Burnaby, B.C.July 28, 2014
Pros: happy work environment
Cons: lack of full-time hours, and minimal compensation.
Starbucks is a great place to develop customer service skills as well as social skills. It has very flexible hours, and a lively atmosphere. A typical day at work involves cash and customer handling, making a variety of beverages, some dish washing and store cleanliness is involved throughout the day. I learned how to be in several places at once, as – more... I worked in one of the busier locations at Metrotown. It was an exciting and energetic atmosphere. They have a very thorough training procedure and the staff are helpful and kind. Our manager was very laid back and considerate of employees personal lives. He trusts the staff with the well being of the store and was very understanding. The coworkers I had a Starbucks were some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of working with. They are very supportive, and offer coaching when needed. It has a very strong family vibe to it. The hardest part of working at the Metrotown location was the size of the facility, as it was very small and very busy. There were often not enough places to fit customers during our rushes. The raises could be better. They offer competitive wages, but start you at minimum wage, and you get a 10-16 cent raise once every six months. The most enjoyable part of Starbucks was definitely the working environment, very friendly, very social, very happy place to work. I also loved the flexibility with scheduling. – less
Fast pace work environment with great work atmosphere
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJuly 25, 2014
Pros: free drinks, part-time medical and dental benefits, free mark out each week, and stock options.
Cons: communication can break down easily when calling orders, and 5 am opens.
I really enjoyed my time at Starbucks and worked with some of best coworkers around. We built long lasting relationships with each other and our regular customers. We challenged each other professionally and always kept the work environment light and friendly. I was able to advance quickly with hard work and dedication to learning multiple duties. I – more... was given the title of Shift Supervisor within 8 months of being hired as a Barista. The only downside to my experience was the store manager and assistant. I felt like as soon as Partners and myself got used to a new management style there would be another person coming in with different preferences and ideas. With this said, I would work for Starbucks again because of the great experience they try to give to each Partner, but I would be more selective with my manager and get a feel if there was stability within the particular store. – less
Not the Perfect Cup of Coffee
Brand Manager (Associate) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free coffee, team building events, decent benefits, great brand name on your resume
Cons: no work-life balance, little opportunity for advancement, un-competitive salary, self-involved management
While I certainly learned a lot during my tenure at Starbucks Canada, the Canadian division is not a great place to work. Work-life balance is non-existent and anyone below Senior Manager level is treated like a cog in the machine. There is very little room for advancement as the older members of the Marketing team refuse to leave, to the detriment – more... of the organization. Don't be fooled by the title Brand Manager or Assistant Brand Manager - you aren't really managing anything from a marketing perspective and this is not your typical brand management role. The majority of the job is determining what US products to pick up and release in the Canadian market and lots of number crunching. If you're looking to stretch and extend your strategic and creative skills this is not the place for you. This is an operations driven organization so the majority of resources, effort and focus are on developing employees working in the stores. It doesn't really make the "behind the scenes" people feel appreciated or inspired.

Management at Starbucks, while incredibly polite and friendly, are neither overly creative nor inspiring. Looking to be a mover and shaker? Starbucks looks good on your resume and you'll gain a lot of transferable skills but you won't do anything earth shattering. And don't think about speaking your mind because they aren't overly receptive to individuals who challenge the status quo, provide opinions that go against the majority or raise concerns about issues. There have been some serious culture issues with the company, especially around recognition and appreciation of staff.

Net-net, I had a great time learning about the business and definitely picked up some great skills but I wouldn't recommend working in Marketing at the Canadian operation. – less
Supervisor (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCJuly 19, 2014
It's a good place to work when you have a busy life trying to go to school or have other jobs. On top of the flexibility, the company provides benefits.
A focused, yet fun enviornment to work in.
Barista, Cashier, CafĂ© Partner (Former Employee), Dublin, Westmoreland st.July 19, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: low pay, long hours.
Situated in the heart of Dublin city, surrounded by office buildings and retail outlets this store was one of the busiest Starbucks in the country.

The work was quite demanding with opening times as early as 6:30am and a closing time of 10:00pm.(we stayed till 11:00pm cleaning.)

Luckily we had an optimistic and motivating manager who strived to get – more... the best performance out of each and every staff member. For example, we were allowed to pick our own audio playlists to listen to throughout the days shift.

This was one of my favorite things about working in that establishment. – less
Part Time Job in the Summer
Barista Partner / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
Taking the residents of the condo and escorting them to different places on the main floor, such as , bowling alley, theatre etc

Worked one person a shift so I learned to work independently

Vaccuming the Pool was a challenge since I had to do it to the clock and people wanted to use the pool. I always got it done and got quicker each time
can be fun at tmes
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 17, 2014
Great as a part time job, good benefits
management is horrible and corporate people are snobs

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more