Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
It's a Fun work place. But
Shift Supervisor/Key-holder (Current Employee), Richmond, BCApril 6, 2016
I love working at Starbucks. Love the people that I work with, the customers that I deal with. I would just like to say that maybe having to choose an option of having a higher Pay, rather than profit sharing, would benefit the partners who would love to stay with the Company, and also be eligible to potentially sign up for a car or a house or something that we can Tie into our names. instead of being paid "minimum".

The reason I would leave this company is for the reason of Job Advancement. Your Own manager will promise you a lot of things, and will make you think you are ready, and then you wait for things to start rolling. But nothing is actually going on still.
Great
Barista (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 25, 2016
Pros: Partners Beverages, Weekly Coffee Markout, Benefits
Cons: Pay
learning how to make high quality drinks and becoming very familiar with how drinks are made and the machines work. getting to interact with some wonderful customers who try to get to know as much as you want to get to know them. Management is very flexible and try to accommodate your life and hire people who are fun to work with. The overall job isn't hard it just involves a lot of standing and interacting with people. The best part of the job is building those regulars and getting to interact with them everyday. Also your free coffee mark outs and partner beverages while you work
Great workplace, Friendly people, Long lasting friends.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Free drinks, 30 percent discount
Cons: Long hours
I would come in, and be really excited to see all the other colleagues, which were more like friends then coworkers. You would learn new drinks, new techniques to make your job easier and serve people faster. Most people would find the multitasking and making drinks and putting people through being hard but its actually really easy when you get a good flow to the way you do it. Best part about the job is all the great people you get to know and people who become your regular customers and best friends.
great place!
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Pros: free drinks, lots of discounts and perks
Cons: weird hours - could sometimes start work at 5AM
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable! My co-workers are really great people and wonderful to work with. Starbucks partners also get stock grants, and discounts on stocks. Tuition and book reimbursement Part-time and full time employees are also eligible for health benefits after 3 months. over all just a really great company Starbucks gives you many great opportunity, including general skills development such as customer service, people skills and time management.
Unrealistic expectations for a minimum wage position
Barista (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Free beverages with every break
Cons: Unrealistic expectations and an unhappy work environment
Working at Starbucks was by far the worst job experience I have ever encountered. The over sized company merely thinks of you as a number in their system as opposed to the actual human being that you are, creating an unsettling and unwelcoming environment in the workplace. Supervisors were trained to put down their co-workers instead of help them succeed and move forward in the workplace.
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee), Whistler, BCMarch 14, 2016
Pros: Great Partner Discounts
Cons: Long hours
One of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had, working with young people who have unending energy, create laughter in the moment and teach the true meaning of life. Training is at the forefront of each promotion, ensuring you always feel supported and have the tools to succeed. Typical days always start with a great cup of coffee, the opportunity to connect, really connect with people and create an awesome experience for both youreslf, your team and your customers
the manegment needs some help
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Pros: free drinks when on floor
Cons: stressful and little pay
I learned how having to do things in a timely and proper manner under pressure and dealing with unhappy customers and their needs. but i also leanred how to make friends and be responsible with time and people skills. It easy to have an availabilty there but the hours are terrible because of you take a certain day off then the your hours get cut and it just doesnt work.
I little about Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Friendship
Cons: Wage
As a Starbucks employee you should setup everything that will be used.
Greet customers with smile and take he or she order.
Brew coffee and make drinks as well handle pastry.
I learned about the coffee culture and about sales. Being a foreign, I learned as well the local idiom.
I had 5 managers in less than 2 years. They have different characteristics but the one that hired me was the best.
While I have amazing co-workers (friends, professionals and hard workers) I have co-workers that only are there to make money to party. So they're no professionals, immature and too lazy.
The hardest part its the morning rush hour where everybody wants be attended fast and the most enjoyable part its try many kinds of coffees, drinks and pastry free.
Fast paced environment
Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
Pros: 1 Free pound of coffee a week.
At Starbucks I have learned a lot about how to delegate, and manage employees.The greatest challenge I have dealt with is knowing/ understanding where employees have there strengths and weaknesses and understanding how to communicate with each partner accordingly. My favorite part about being a Supervisor is having the responsibilities of making sure specific tasks are completed on time. Delegating breaks at appropriate times, and managing the floor.
Great workplace!
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 29, 2016
Pros: Free drinks, universal 30% employee discount, great employee benefits.
Cons: Not enough hours!
Starbucks is a great place to work! the benefits are great, the opportunities are innumerable, the wage is slightly better than minimum! my only complaint would be the inconsistent availability of hours, and slow to the draw management. over all, my experience working at Starbucks has been the best work experience I've had.
Fun, easy going, comfortable
Barista (Former Employee), Whistler, BCMarch 17, 2016
Pros: Free drinks, good benefits
Cons: Drink memorizing
Working with other people in Starbucks was a great experience. For the day to follow well everyone must work as a team and there were no problems in doing that. Everyone got along great and people rolls of the day were established and followed easily. I learned great team work and communication. Communication was such an important skill in working with the starbucks company and I was able to build up relationships with a lot of the customers at the store. Unfortunately I was only working in Whistler for the summer, otherwise I would still be working there. The hardest part of the job was learning the 86,000 combinations of drinks they had on the menu. The easy part of the job was feeling like I was a part of the team
great environment
Part-time Barista (Current Employee), Kanata, ONApril 18, 2016
Pros: tips, warm environment, friendly, fun
Cons: minimum wage, messy
Starbucks is a super great, warm and welcoming working environment.
My coworkers and manager/shift leaders are super friendly, understading and have helped me grow and learn a lot since having started working there.
The best part of the job is definitely the relationships that you build with the regular customers that come in everyday.
Reasonable Part-time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Pros: Good benefits, opportunity to advance
Cons: Irritating corporate culture, lack of individual expression store-by-store
Co-workers will make or break this job for you. If you have a good group of people to work with, you'll love it. My experience was marred by bad management, which lead me to leave the job. The corporate culture encourages management to treat everyone like children. The language they endorse is cringe-worthy. Work structure is rigid, with no room to interpret rules (this depends on your manager). Depending on your manager's philosophy on overtime, you may or may not have time to run breaks for everyone in a timely manner without severely crippling operations. I skipped many of my mandated 15-minute breaks just to allow my co-workers to take theirs.
Great benefits, flexible, but thats it
Barista (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 16, 2016
Positive:
-easy work
-flexible schedule
-great benefits (but they take a lot of work to get)
-free coffee

Negative: (been at this job too long)
-repetitive work
-high pressure to be "bubbly, happy, always 'on' "
-STRICT uniform policies
-lots of work for little pay
-difficult to advance unless your store has high turnover
-strict rules for everything
-far too many who get stuck working at this job because of the benefits but day to day are secretly miserable, wishing they were doing something else
-strict about absolutely everything BUT recycling and making themselves more "earth friendly",
-everything is about profit.
good job for minimum wage during school
Barista (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: free drinks, friendly people, good locations.
Cons: difficult flexibility.
Make coffee for all sorts of people. interact with people, unload product and build relationships with regular customers and first time customers. learned how to communicate better with people, make coffee, work under pressure. Co-workers were nice and respectful and fun to work with. Nothing too difficult about the work or work place. Most enjoyable part at Starbucks was the late shifts with fellow friends and of course the perks.
Productive and Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee), Montréal, QCFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: Free drinks
Cons: Heavy things
It was a fun place to work at simply because of the co-workers and the customers. You develop a certain intimacy and friendship with them and it makes everything feel special, also because the product was good and it was fun to sell as well. The hardest part of the job but the one I loved the most was the rush-hours; the excitement, the rush, the adrenaline, it made time go by so fast. In a blink of an eye, it was already over.
Great general work experience
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2016
Starbucks gives you many great opportunity, including general skills development such as customer service, people skills and time management. Company is very organized and training is very easily followed. The hardest part of the job is time management, because you need to be able to manage your time properly whilst maintaining the quality of your work.
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: regular breaks
Cons: no prospects of growth in the company
what i learned:
amazing place to work at if you wanna improve your peoples skill, they train you to be better at your job like how to deal with angry and frustrated customers.

management and coworkers:
we are a team of like minded people and getting along had never been a problem for me.

hardest part of the job:
trying to be upbeat and positive when we are super busy as we focus on a lot of things at the same time so we forget to be jolly or upbeat which sometimes comes off as rude or unwelcoming

the most enjoyable part the job:
making people smile! little things that i do which makes a persons day makes me feel happy about what i do.
Comfortable environment with respectful coworkers
Barista (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: 5 free drinks on shifts and experience with the espresso machine
Cons: small back of house, standing long periods
The cleaning duties were minimal as cleaning staff came in the evenings. Training and working as a barista was extremely fun and rewarding. It was a very fast-paced environment, but had a laid-back atmosphere. Management was very supportive and forthcoming. My coworkers were diverse and welcoming people. The hardest part was working in such a confined space with many people during a shift. Working the espresso bar and making drinks was definitely the best part of the job and regular customers were a joy to see.
Barista
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Free samples
A typical day at starbucks was to prepare for opening. I learned how to make many different drinks as well as custom drinks for certain customers. Management and co workers were great. Hardest part of the of the job was at first learning how to make the many different drinks and then after just keeping the line small. Most enjoyable part was tasting and making samples for customers.
Revenue