Starbucks Employee Reviews

Such a good company to work for once you get yourself in.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 October 2017
Working at Starbucks was an unbelievable privilege. The benefits were absolutely unreal. Free coffee, extra stars in the rewards program, and medical and dental benefits and stocks.
Pros
free stocks, free coffee, good benefits
Cons
long hours on feet, rude customers
it is great
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2017
The customers are usually really nice to talk to. My team members were usually very easy to connect with. The environment was very nice to work in.
great place to work for students
Shift lead (Superviseur) (Current Employee) –  VMR12 October 2017
I've been working for starbucks for years and its a pretty great place to work especially for students. We get great benefits and we don't need to work full-time
Why Starbucks isn't all that....
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Starbucks may seem like an attractive place to be, but was overall a rough experience for me. Minimum wage, rough hours, lack of respect for employees, lack of sleep (due to the late hours, etc.) among other things make the job not a worthwhile career. The high turnover rate was extremely discouraging.
Management was awful in my store and the environment was very much based on your sales performance.Favoritism was in place and people such as myself who worked extremely hard were never given recognition for their efforts. Meanwhile the boss had her favorites, and only catered to their needs.
It felt as if the customer first mentality was way off kilter. We had to go "above and beyond" to serve the customer, meanwhile we were going under and under trying to stay afloat. Often it was just tough to get through a shift, since I was left on the floor by myself.
I was moved around from store to store like I was just expendable. Never asked what I wanted. And, due to this, it was impossible to develop meaningful relationships.
The toxicity of the employees and lack of genuineness on the part of the management is what caused me to leave.
I wish I could say that I would recommend it, but I think that those who endeavor to work here must be careful they actually get their hours, and that they are not constantly pushed around by the management. Make sure you know your boundaries and do not allow anyone to push the blame on you when you are doing the very utmost to fulfill your duties.
Pros
Free drinks, fun talking with customers, some friendships.
Cons
Low pay, lack of respect for employees needs.
Fun place to work, great benefits for full time employees
Barista (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON12 October 2017
The pay for a barista is minimum wage but there are many other perks about working for Starbucks. You will receive stock in the company after 1 year of service, free bag of coffee every week, free drinks while you are working, and awesome benefits if you are a full time employee.
Pros
Stock in company, free coffee, good benefits (full time only)
Cons
Lack of hours, poor rate of pay
great people high stress
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Starbucks talks a big game about the culture of their company, and in smaller, slower stores there is a greater emphasis on this, but in a busy store (any drive through) the employees are overworked, underpaid, and not given a chance to authentically connect with the customer base as the company claims to want. Development in the company is like pulling teeth, as it is not a priority to upper management.
Pros
free beverages
Cons
high stress, impossible workload
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Team Lead/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Blue Mountains, Ont, Collingwood, and Wasaga Beach11 October 2017
I really can not explain the whole story, it would take me all night. I have many documents and witnesses and medical history that can back up my story. If your really that interested, feel free to call me.
Pros
Non
Cons
Several
Fun place to work!
Barista/Server (Current Employee) –  North York, ON11 October 2017
It is always an honour to know our customer in a professional manner, giving the best service that we can! And always going beyond expectation. We always treated each one of us with respect!
Pros
Get discounts and complimentary beverages during your shift
Cons
Short shifts
Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB11 October 2017
I enjoyed making the guests day and trying new coffees. I learned how to be positive when dealing with customers face-to-face all day long. I also enjoyed keeping the store clean.
Fast paced environment where customer service is #1
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB11 October 2017
Loved the customer service model that Starbucks has for the customers. I enjoyed working in the environment knowing that as a customer this was truly the desire of the company - to make my experience there special, personalized and enjoyable.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, benefits even for part time, discount on Starbucks products
good practice of independence
Barista (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 October 2017
Was a good practise of independence and customer service.made my memorization skills stronger. was left alone in starbucks to do cash make drinks , clean and serve for many hours
customers
Restaurant Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 October 2017
Customers are great, work life balance is awesome but if you are looking to move up they are reactive not proactive so good luck letting your work ethic get you promoted, you need to wait until they upset someone enough for them to quit
Pros
free coffee
Calm and secluded work space
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 October 2017
Mangers were very unorganised. The training was rushed. Young employees were criticised and frowned upon. Staff were barely helpful. Customer complaints were regular but the shop was always kept clean
Pros
Free coffee every shift
Cons
No breaks
Start of Career
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2017
Great place as a first place of work. Teaches invaluable lessons useful in future. Environment in the store really depends on the manager, but the company generally finds good people to run the shop.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Shifts schedule
Loved working here!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 October 2017
Being here was one of my favourite and memorable experience. Working with a group of co-workers who were such amazing friends and the manager, who had a fantastic balance between being a responsible leader as well as a friendly, approachable friend, I am glad to have spent my summer there at Starbucks.
Great customer service learning experience
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2017
A day will consist of many different kinds of people with different personalities, characteristics, and attittude, coming from different cultures as well. From there, what I have learned is how to communicate well, tolerate, and adapting to the environment each person brings to our store. Being patient is also what I have learned in this job, that you can never argue with the customers. The workplace culture is very fun as you get to work with a lot of people and be part of the team where you can create a culture under the one roof of the starbucks store you work at. the hardest part of the job is not with the customers, it is with the people you work with. Sometimes, the management hires the wrong people for the job which makes it challenging to be on the job. But, the best part is you get to be friends with those people in and outside the job, and the same goes for your customers. Once you connect with them, they not only know you from within the store but also outside.
Pros
wage increase
Cons
exhausting
Great Experience that can lead to better opportunities
Barista/Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2017
You definitely learn a lot working for this company. By no means is everything perfect, but you are treated right, given amazing benefits, and recognition.
Pros
Part Time Benefits, Full Time Benefits, Weekly Mark-Out, Discounts, Stock Plan, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Strict policies, inconsistencies in management
Fun Place to Work
BARISTA TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 October 2017
The company really cares about their employees, Great benefits even for those who work part time. Customer connection is an important feature of the job and prepares you for future client interactions
benefits
Cons
low salary
satisfactory
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2017
You need to be able to handle working in a fast-paced environment. Staff environment is very friendly. However, more staff need to be at the floor during a shift. There are not enough staff members working during peak hours to keep up with the number of customers. The stress these situations are not worth the salary that Starbucks provides
Pros
discounts, benefits
Cons
not enough staff on floor creates stressful environments at times
Starbucks is a great entry level job where baristas learn skills to further their development
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2017
A typical day at work would involve around serving our world class coffee and products to our valued customers. I've grown and developed immensely within the company, personally and professionally. Examples include time management, public speaking, and personal development and professional growth. Workplace culture is created by making sure everyone matters and belongs, making the best moment in everyone's day. I could not point out the hardest part of my job, however I can say that each day is presented with new challenges. The most enjoyable part of my job is making people happy, both my employees and customers alike.
Pros
1lb of free coffee a week, free beverages during break, benefits, health
Cons
work/life/balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.