Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

having fun making drinks for friendly people
Assistant Manager Sales (Former Employee) –  hinton,albJuly 11, 2016
I liked working for Starbucks, there was lots of friendly outgoing people. At the beginning it was great. My co-workers were on time and actually showed up for their shifts. The management was very friendly to me when I was showing I was hard working. The hardest part of the job was when I was sick, no one would cover me.That rose up to me missing a day,and almost being terminated.The manger was not very nice to me.I was treated different by co-workers.I eventually quit after 2 months of torture.
Pros
discount on items
Cons
long hours, being alone too long, terrible management
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
Fun place to work and gain person connections
Barista (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 26, 2016
Working for Starbucks is such a great experience. As a barista you do have a long list of responsibilities that need to be learnt and maintained. Starbucks hire people with the same personality so it is easy to make friends with co-workers and even customers. At times customers can become extremely disrespectful to you and as a barista it is your responsibility to "make it right", which is probably the worst part about working at Starbucks. Despite what may happen, top managers and managers will always protect their employees.
good starter job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 7, 2016
i worked for Starbucks for almost two years, and grew a lot in terms of customer service. it is a good job if you are looking for something to give you experience. I quickly made my way up to a Supervisor position. the only thing that turned me off about this job was the company itself. Starbucks ( as much as they preach partnership and such) is not good to their employees. they make changes without notifying us and make us deal with the back lash. They make horrendous rules that are not necessary for the survival of the company yet make their employees do them just for the sake of credibility
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad company
Worthwhile experience, improved organization and social skills.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 10, 2016
I've worked at Starbucks in both Vancouver and Whitby (Ontario). A typical day of work involved serving customers, making drinks, and cleaning and organizing the store. I've become better at small talk, and being meticulous and focused when it is required. The hardest part of my job was multitasking, the most enjoyable aspect was being able to work and interact with others simultaneously.
Pros
Free drinks, positive interactions
Cons
Low salary, monotonous
Good company to work for.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 30, 2016
It is a great option for starting professionals.
You get a great deal on Customer service, team work and getting sense of urgency.
I wish, not only them, but all coffee shops would improve the wage increase rate, and increase the wage cap. It would make employees feel valued and stay for longer. It is very sad to see good employees leaving for another job because they don't earn enough.
Pros
Friendly, enjoyable
Cons
high employee rotation. long term employees are mostly undervalued.
Fast paced, enjoyable atmosphere with long lasting customer connections
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 29, 2016
I learned a lot from working for Starbucks. It accustomed me to a great deal of responsibility as I was a shift supervisor. Fast paced, energetic environment that encouraged customer connections and a positive outlook on life. Great standards, great expectations and a high level of leadership skills. Granted me the ability to take initiative, delegate properly.
Pros
Free drinks, long lasting customer connections
Fun environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2016
Learned how to make drinks, and prepare food for customers to eat. Also learned communication skills among coworkers and customers as well. A typical day begins to become quite mundane as the routine is simple and not challenging. The hardest part of the job was simply to remember all the regular customers by name and their basic background because customer care is heavily encouraged.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Hours given are random and not consistent
Great Managers
Barista and shift supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
I have had nothing but a good time at this job. They have always been so professional but at the same time are like family. We were always so busy with a faced paced volume of customers due to the building we work in and all the people who have enjoyed the service that they keep coming back. The store I was at is award winning in service.
Pros
Free drinks while you work
Cons
Sometimes you have difficult customers
Great job, good boss, and learned a lot.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Starbucks was my first job, and I learned a lot. I am still in contact with many of my coworkers and bosses. It was hard work, but it was very beneficial for my work ethic and initiative. I especially loved interacting with people, the only negative aspect about that is some of the customers did not share my enthusiasm.
Pros
Good cooworkers, and discounted drinks when on breaks.
Cons
Hours often changed without notification.
Fast-paced and positive environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
I began working at Starbucks a year ago and I can't say I have many complaints. The employees at Starbucks are treated with respect and are constantly appreciated/encouraged by management.
My partners (co-workers) are reliable and always ready to work as a team. The atmosphere we work in is busy, fast-paced and sometimes frustrating, yet as a team we are able achieve success and always retain positivity.
Fast but Fun educational, and provides amazing opportunities.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCMay 17, 2016
Fast pasted, lots of customer interactions, cleaning, Visual merchandising.
I learned to keep up with the high demand with a happy happy smile on my face, also to know when and how to respond to a mistake with orders, through the BEST training I have EVER went through. I learned time management.
Co-workers are like the best part.
Hardest part is to learn that it is okay to take your time, because after time you become faster and faster.
Most enjoyable part is seeing our customers smile big, and of course free drinks.
Pros
Training, and free drinks plus discounts.
Cons
Can be over alot to begin with
Amazing experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 12, 2016
I loved working at Starbucks. The training was great, although there was a small learning curve to remember all of the products. I considered this to be hardest. Once I did, I enjoyed the customer service focused approach. The values of the company were very much in line with my own. Creating the drinks appealed to my artistic side, and I enjoyed developing strong relationships with the customer which made the business side of things.

I would definitely work for this company again.
Pros
Great training, good company values, great products
Cons
Busy Lineups, Customers Can Be Demanding
Productive and fun work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 7, 2016
I loved the staff and the ambiance at work, however I did not like the new manager that was a lot more strict and bossy than the previous one we had... He did not managed well the store and was not very welcoming. I still learned a lot from working there, they have a great clientele and the shifts were very variable which made the job different every day.
Pros
Easy to switch/give away/take shifts
Cons
Salary
Great employees to work with, but management needs work
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Honestly, the job is rewarding and the people I work with are amazing. Everyone is willing to help one another out, however the management of the store needs improvement. Scheduling is not consistent, and the manager is not emotionally stable during stressful situations. May occasionally take out frustration on the staff working.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Manager
To inspire and nuture the human spirit - one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCJune 1, 2016
Working at Starbucks has been great in exposing me to diverse challenges and immense changes. Its culture is one that ensures a comfortable, clean working environment and an overall pleasant place for people to be. Wonderful management, incredible partners and an immense supply of tasetful recipes and heart-felt intentions.
Great Job Opportunity
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
I work at Starbucks Part-time. I only have good thing to say about this job. My manager easily works around my school schedule. The work environment is friendly and easy to learn. Everyone is there for you if you need help. The most enjoyable part of this job is to talk with the customers and learn their names, so I can make their Starbucks experience even better.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
some heavy lifting
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 30, 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Great Coworkers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ONMay 30, 2016
The job was straightforward, only challenge was dealing with large volumes of customers. The people you work with are usually friendly and helpful, just like you would experience as a customer.
They did require quite a bit of availability considering it was a part-time minimum wage job, and it was difficult to get long periods of time off even if business was slow and I wasn't necessarily needed.