Starbucks Employee Reviews

Horrible all around
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 February 2017
I worked for Starbucks in my 20s and the hours were awful and stressful, they paid me minimum wage with a master's degree, they never gave me the benefits they agreed to give, and there was no work life balance because all I was doing was working for Starbucks. Not to mention customers have high expectations of Starbucks products so they are rude, yell, scream on occasion and have such high expectations you'll injure yourself trying to please their clientele. If you make mistakes, your manager will fire you. Not to mention the bosses were stressful to handle because they also yell.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Too many. All around bad.
An enjoyable and enriching experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
the typical day working at starbucks was, in one word, fun! i learned quite a lot of things such as; time management and leadership. The management were amazing and my co-workers were some of nicest people i've ever met. The hardest part about the job was that it was extremely hard to maintain while still being in school, if i could have done both i would. in general though, Starbucks was an amazing experience for me and would surely be the same for anyone else!
Pros
great people, fun workplace, nice pace, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no flexibility when it came to hours
Flat passive aggressive cult organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
You need to come up through the stores to be successful at Starbucks, period. Processes are non-existent, and instead of giving, the company takes away - i.e. because Vancouver does not recognize Boxing Day, and Toronto does, and Vancouver recognizes Civic Holiday and in toronto it's not a stat, they have taken Boxing Day away from Vancouver as a holiday and August civic holiday for Ontario. Benefits are great if you are a barista, but as a manager in the office, not competitive. you must be passionate about coffee and the values, otherwise you will get called out. You cannot be authentic unless Starbucks values are your default values. Not an easy organization to maneuver, and the organization has no interest in fixing it, but now they admit it. Not an easy place to come in externally and unless you assimilate, you will not be successful - the organization admits they have high turnover in external hires. Start in stores, work up, and you will be successful at Starbucks.
Pros
Coffee tastings, bean stock, location
Cons
Senior leadership, tough to be successful as an external hire
Great Benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2016
Have been working for more than 3 years now.
Starbucks has awesome benefit plans and stock plans for baristas and consider all employees valuable partners.
Feel as though they would protect partners in any situations but the quality of customer service provided is tiresome to employees.
Customers are accustomed to 'just say yes' and 'make it right' so even when they arbitrarily want everything we have to say yes and provide everything.
I think all the partners deserve to get a lot more raise
Pros
Free beverages and great benefits
Cons
quality of customers
Great at first
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 October 2016
Loved it at first, then new management came along. Still a great job with many benefits such as free beverages and pounds of coffee. It's great to see our regulars come in everyday. Type of place with lots of turnover and out of a staff of around 20 only 3 have been there since I started a year ago. Working nights is extremely easy and laid back but the mornings are complete opposite. It becomes extremely repetitive, maybe it's seeing the same customers everyday or making the same drinks a 100 times a day but overall it's not a bad job.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere, awesome customers.
Cons
No hours, poor management, understaffed in busy situations.
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Great Workplace but not for everyone
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2016
The job is very fast-paced and very stressful. I personally didn't get along with many of my coworkers, but that's not to say that another person wouldn't strive there. I learned very quickly how to think on my feet and how to connect with a customer while also providing fast and exceptional service.
Pros
Free drinks before, during, and after shift. Lots of Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low wages for amount of work done
Calling all coffee lovers, this is your place!
Barista- Customer Service Lead/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 September 2016
Where can I begin, I've been with Starbucks 3.5years now and It truly is an incredible company to work for. You can be as flexible as you want or need with your schedule and your manager will still accommodate your needs and wishes. There is a lot to love here, free drinks on every break and a 30-40% discount on any item as well, not to mention weekly mark outs of coffee, teas etc.

I work at a drive through and on most days (especially during the school year) it is very busy and we have lots of tasks to complete. This can be the hardest part about the jobs because of how overwhelming it can seem but if you just keep calm you're fine!

Your customers will be the best and worst part of your day, just when you think one has ruined your day you turn around and another makes it back for you, they are the reason Starbucks is a thing!

Can we talk benefits? OMG they are amazing!! You only have to work 20hrs a week and you get full benefits, Starbucks believes pure heartedly in home and work life balance.

All in all, it's a wonderful company to work for!
Pros
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS, Free coffee, amazing customers
Cons
High Stress
Culture has changed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
Starbucks has gone from a company that leads through its people to a company which ignores its people. The Culture has created a bad place to work as it is pushing out talent as people try to cover their butts and blame someone else.
Pros
Free Bevs, discounts, benefits and mark outs.
Cons
Must become a robot and follow what someone else tells you to do.
Great Place
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I loved working for Starbucks. It's an amazing company with great benefits. Your coworkers start to feel like family and some customers can be really great. Others not so much. The only reason I left is due to some poor management that recently came.
Pros
Free drinks! health benefits.
Cons
Dealing with the public.
Was a great place to work and advance in the company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Crazy busy days always just because of location!
had many managerial tasks to perform and guide my baristas and run my floor with breaks and deployment!
I enjoyed the very fast paced environment and the people were great to work with. Very diverse team!
Pros
benefits were great! the ability to move up within the company
Great student job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ile-Perrot, QC10 January 2017
Over the four years I have worked at starbucks, I can say that I've enjoyed working with 95% of the staff and customers.My typical day of work consists of serving customers and the day/closing cleaning tasks.
Pros
Decent breaks, great benefits such as dental, health education and stock plans, great coworkers, amazing regular customers
Great place
Barista/ Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2017
great benefits...
depending on management may not necessarily be recognized for job well don't for pro
early mornings
you can get called in at anytime... or sent home if its not busy
great perks for free coffee
benefits
Cons
hours
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 May 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Good job
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
The company is great to work for and the people you get to work with are also amazing. Pay is fair and the benefits and coverage are also very good. Though company is very sales orientated despite saying they aren't.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Demanding Management
Great benefits and culture.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2017
I loved working for Starbucks and would say that it was my favorite job so far. Their attractive compensation and benefit structure along with the flexibility in their hours make it optimal for a student or someone with other commitments.
Good company
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia6 February 2017
This company cares for their employees; even if someone is part-time they can get benefits.
Was always a company that worked around my other jobs too.
Give out bursaries for education if it has something that can be transferrable to the company.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
Can become repetitive
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
fun place to work