Starbucks Employee Reviews

Great place to work, no advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  calgary20 October 2017
Great place to work. Had fun working with staff. During my time there there I had 4 district managers. none of witch were promoted from within.Advancement was non existent
Pros
free coffee
Cons
advancement
Good work environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2017
I like the work environment because people are nice and their customers services is really good and they can build good relationship with the customers
Fun high paced workplace
Assistant de direction (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 October 2017
Typical day at work included brewing and serving coffee and other drinks. Learned how to make many different types of coffee and all about coffee and teas, how they are made, different types, etc...
Management was great, understanding, lots of room to grow and advance. Employees were very friendly and became very close, like a mini family.
Hardest part of the job was the rushes of people to serve during certain hours but everything else was great.
Pros
Free coffee and tea and incredible benefits
Cons
High paced sometimes equaled high stress
transition team disaster
Store Manager WEM (A volume) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
Was part of the Teavana management team that was laid off due to the store closing all locations in North America.. The transition was not done to basic recruitment standards. Recruiters not calling back for weeks. Severance delayed because they "did not realize I didn't transfer to Starbucks". Not being considered for positions highly qualified for. That said, the company is awesome and should not be judged on this recruitment fiasco.
Pros
free beverages while you work
Cons
recruitment team
fun place to work for a short time
Barista (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC18 October 2017
fun place to work for a short time, crazy days on happy hours and customers who don't know what they really want :)) co-workers are the best and nice.
My experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON17 October 2017
very busy
got to meet and learn about alot of people
management was weak
culture was good most days
hardest part of the job was trying to hit insurmountable goals
most enjoyable was the benefits
Great workplace for everyone.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2017
I joined the Starbucks team almost 6 months ago and I like the atmosphere of my workplace. All the partners are very helpful and you can rely on them if you have a question. Our team goal is to give our best service to our guest by greeting them properly and making their drinks right.
Benefits
Cons
short hours
Busy, fun to get to know new people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 October 2017
Working for Starbucks can be difficult in terms of having enough patience to re-make a drink five times because there isn't enough foam or too much foam on a drink even though you followed the recipe exactly. It is a busy place so you need to work as a team and stay positive.
Pros
Free pound of coffee a week
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun team environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 October 2017
A fun job where you make connections with customers and coworkers alike. Management is great. Excellent benefits. Cleaning and communication very important.
fast pace job with big variety of people. management can be poor
Chef de quart (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC16 October 2017
work days can start from 4:30 am and end at 12:30 am, so the hours you want to work during a school week will most likely be met.
depending on the location you work at, the management can be poor. i had one manager who ran the store on fear, unfortunately i didn't do well with that and it led to a relocation and a few warnings for him from his higher up.

a lot of the baristas arent mature yet and cause a lot of gossip between eachother, being the supervisor my job isn't always great for that.

the company its self stands for great things and the benefits are good.
Pros
free coffee, small tips weekly, good for students.
Cons
dramatic young baristas, poor management.
Such a good company to work for once you get yourself in.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 October 2017
Working at Starbucks was an unbelievable privilege. The benefits were absolutely unreal. Free coffee, extra stars in the rewards program, and medical and dental benefits and stocks.
Pros
free stocks, free coffee, good benefits
Cons
long hours on feet, rude customers
it is great
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2017
The customers are usually really nice to talk to. My team members were usually very easy to connect with. The environment was very nice to work in.
great place to work for students
Shift lead (Superviseur) (Current Employee) –  VMR12 October 2017
I've been working for starbucks for years and its a pretty great place to work especially for students. We get great benefits and we don't need to work full-time
Why Starbucks isn't all that....
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Starbucks may seem like an attractive place to be, but was overall a rough experience for me. Minimum wage, rough hours, lack of respect for employees, lack of sleep (due to the late hours, etc.) among other things make the job not a worthwhile career. The high turnover rate was extremely discouraging.
Management was awful in my store and the environment was very much based on your sales performance.Favoritism was in place and people such as myself who worked extremely hard were never given recognition for their efforts. Meanwhile the boss had her favorites, and only catered to their needs.
It felt as if the customer first mentality was way off kilter. We had to go "above and beyond" to serve the customer, meanwhile we were going under and under trying to stay afloat. Often it was just tough to get through a shift, since I was left on the floor by myself.
I was moved around from store to store like I was just expendable. Never asked what I wanted. And, due to this, it was impossible to develop meaningful relationships.
The toxicity of the employees and lack of genuineness on the part of the management is what caused me to leave.
I wish I could say that I would recommend it, but I think that those who endeavor to work here must be careful they actually get their hours, and that they are not constantly pushed around by the management. Make sure you know your boundaries and do not allow anyone to push the blame on you when you are doing the very utmost to fulfill your duties.
Pros
Free drinks, fun talking with customers, some friendships.
Cons
Low pay, lack of respect for employees needs.
Fun place to work, great benefits for full time employees
Barista (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON12 October 2017
The pay for a barista is minimum wage but there are many other perks about working for Starbucks. You will receive stock in the company after 1 year of service, free bag of coffee every week, free drinks while you are working, and awesome benefits if you are a full time employee.
Pros
Stock in company, free coffee, good benefits (full time only)
Cons
Lack of hours, poor rate of pay
great people high stress
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Starbucks talks a big game about the culture of their company, and in smaller, slower stores there is a greater emphasis on this, but in a busy store (any drive through) the employees are overworked, underpaid, and not given a chance to authentically connect with the customer base as the company claims to want. Development in the company is like pulling teeth, as it is not a priority to upper management.
Pros
free beverages
Cons
high stress, impossible workload
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Team Lead/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Blue Mountains, Ont, Collingwood, and Wasaga Beach11 October 2017
I really can not explain the whole story, it would take me all night. I have many documents and witnesses and medical history that can back up my story. If your really that interested, feel free to call me.
Pros
Non
Cons
Several
Fun place to work!
Barista/Server (Current Employee) –  North York, ON11 October 2017
It is always an honour to know our customer in a professional manner, giving the best service that we can! And always going beyond expectation. We always treated each one of us with respect!
Pros
Get discounts and complimentary beverages during your shift
Cons
Short shifts
Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB11 October 2017
I enjoyed making the guests day and trying new coffees. I learned how to be positive when dealing with customers face-to-face all day long. I also enjoyed keeping the store clean.
Fast paced environment where customer service is #1
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB11 October 2017
Loved the customer service model that Starbucks has for the customers. I enjoyed working in the environment knowing that as a customer this was truly the desire of the company - to make my experience there special, personalized and enjoyable.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, benefits even for part time, discount on Starbucks products

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.