Starbucks

Starbucks Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Stepping Stone
Barista (Current Employee), torontoMarch 26, 2015
If you want to move up in the company fast, this is your place. good benefit package, not a real team atmosphere.
Fast paced environment.
Fun and interesting Job place!
BARISTA (Former Employee), Milton, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Amazing atmosphere
This is probably the best job anyone could have to start off. It can be complicated at first to begin but the training is extensive and great. All thru out this job is great to meet new people everyday and be able to do great things for these people. The hardest thing about the job is probably the recipes for each drink, but with practice this can be done well. The most enjoyable part is spending time with co-workers and meeting great people.
Fun workplace, albeit a bit exhausting
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 20, 2015
A typical day at work would be to set everything up in the morning and continue to do so during the day to ensure fluidity and consistency at work. Being at the top of your game was essential to providing good customer service and rapidity.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the pressure and fast paced working environment; the drive-through, the long lines, the complicated orders... all of which made the hours fly by. Although there are cons to every job, like the long hours, the impatience of customers, problems with the cashes, having and getting along with a good and hardworking team on the floor helped make those problems become harder and harder to see.
Everyone knows what their task is.
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2015
Pros: experience many kinds of coffees and teas.
Cons: very early morning. very late night.
Everybody works hard and very productive.
Organized work environment.
Working hours can be very early or very late.
They have very organized online trainings.
AWEFUL PLACE TO WORK!
BARISTA (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 18, 2015
Cons: everything
Starbucks is a bad company to work for. They don't take care of their staff and management never places their staff first. I would stingily not work for this company.
A partner-friendly work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good work environment
Cons: low salary
You will feel happy every day to work there since you can talk with different customers. And the benefits are fair with the free coffee and teas to mark out every week. The only thing is that the salary there is too low compared to the duties and responsibilities that partners are asked to do.
Most wanted job has a lot of perks, but isn't lacking in faults
Barista and Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: benefits, flexible dress code, free food and drink, raises every 6 months
Cons: lack of positive feedback, impossibly high sales expectations
Working at Starbucks is an amazing experience where you meet the best people to work with and the customers are wonderful 90% of the time. It's a challenging job, yes, but I wouldn't say hard to do. You're surrounded by a great support network within the company. Benefits, pay, and job security are all fairly good. Unfortunately, the expectations held by the suits in the head office are ridiculous the majority of the time. The strictness of cutting labour hours but increasing sales really decreases the morale in the team due to the constant feeling that we're failing and going nowhere with our goals. Depending on the location you work at, you don't often receive positive feedback about your work ethic and instead, get negative feedback a lot of the time. Many times I've wondered, 'why do I bother?' All in all, in a job market as bad as ever, this is a great place to work. Like any job, there will be some downfalls, and this one has few of them, but the few that it has are general and encompassing enough to make an 8 hour shift feel like a week.
Fun job that values it's partners
Barista (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Starbucks provides many opportunities for advancement. It provides benefits, stock investment, free coffee, and many other great perks, even for part-time partners.
It is a fun, fast environment and a great place to work!
Fast-paced environment with lots of connectivity among customers.
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free drinks, scheduling, atmosphere
Cons: on your feet for long durations
- A typical day at work would be, attending customers needs with great attitude and serving their order at their request.

- Things that I've learned over the time being at Starbucks are: Time management, Connecting a loyal base with our customers, making requested beverages.

- Management at Starbucks is understanding, hard working and co-operative.

- My co-workers are excellent to be around. They are team players and are always there to help if needed.

- The hardest part of my job is having to keep up with beverages at our busiest time of the year, which is our "Frappuccino Hour" in the summer time.

- The most enjoyable part of my job is having a bond-able relationship with our regulars. Making beverages to the standards of all our valuable customers.
Enjoyable work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free drinks, free food, free markout.
Cons: long business hour.
Starbucks coffee shop is different from other coffee shop because we want our customers to feel like home and our staffs are like families. We are trained to treat each customers specially no matter they are regular or not. Smiles is our priority behaviour. I need to do the cash management and run everyone's break. Also, I have to maintain store's clean and neat. Co-workers care about each other and we help each other to learn new knowledge.

The hardest part of this job for me is to hold my stress, and keeps barista to be happy. Sometime my co-workers feel upset but I have to figure out the way to help them forgetting unhappy moment. We have to provide best customers service, so I have to make sure my co-workers are happy first.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when your customers are appreciate what you have done for them. I like to see my customers to be happy and share their experience at our store.
Exciting place to work!
Barista (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 9, 2015
Pros: partner benefits including health and dental, food and drink discounts, weekly free coffee/tea mark outs
Cons: long hours, standing up the entire time
Very productive and exciting place of employment, constant face to face human interaction with customers and coworkers. Feeling of belonging is clearly present no matter which store you work at, from the three locations I've worked at over the past year, all have welcomed me with open arms. Hardest part of the job is the constant rush feeling you have, being able to execute your work in the quickest and most efficient way possible while also providing outstanding customer service is very demanding but the end result is also the most rewarding part of the job.
Great company!!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCMarch 7, 2015
I have to say that after working at Starbucks for over a year I still really enjoy it. I was hired as full time and given full time hours all the time. Booking vacation time off was never an issue as long as I give plenty of notice, I had to cut my availability back to only two days a week and they were totally accommodating. I miss not being there more often. My fellow partners are amazing, they whole atmosphere pushes teamwork and cooperation, I really enjoy it--plus, free coffee!
Fun exciting workplace where communication and teamwork are key in a smooth operating shift and busy "rush"
Barista (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 6, 2015
Pros: free drinks 10 mins before shift, while on break, and shortly after finishing shift.
Cons: fast paced environment throughout shift in occasional stressful situations.
I loved working here, and got my taste of Mixology and wish to further my career in this direction. The only reason I had left was the slow advancement and wage opportunities, was willing to put in double the work by advancing into higher position but would only receive 50 cent raise to this position. Being a single working mother of Autistic son, and already putting in a full 40 hours every two weeks, I couldn't afford double the workload and not enough compensation.
Good place for the first job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 5, 2015
Starbucks is my very first job. It is good experience and it is very good way to meet different people. However, it is not for everyone.
Good but lots of room for improvement
Barista (Former Employee), Pearson International AirportMarch 4, 2015
Pros: the culture, the drinks and food, teamwork, rotation
Cons: too fast paced, difficult for anyone to keep up without a good team, difficult sales goals
My managers were mostly concerned with saving money and speed of service, so you can imagine how bad the drinks became and how pushy we became with customers. Not the kind of management Starbucks should keep...
FUN ATMOSPHERE
Lead Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: rush hour could get crazy but it's all good.
I liked working at Starbucks. I am a people person and i am honored to be part of their team. Starbucks is a culture. I have never seen a company that has lived up to their standards anywhere in the world. Wherever you go, Starbucks signature customer service is always excellent.
Great experience
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCMarch 1, 2015
Pros: free pound of coffee a week and all the you can drink while you are on a break.
Cons: opening shift is ridiculously early
Working at Starbucks Coffee Company has been a great learning experience. I will take, and use in my daily life, the valuable time management training. It is a skill that can adapted for virtually any situation that has time constraints.
Awesome place to work, but dead end job none the less
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: short shifts
It's a fun environment, and great people. The problem is the hours are very short and the advancement is not particularly good.
Fun place to work at
Barista (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: free beverage
Cons: hours can get cut
Personal connections with the customers are the best part of the shift. I learned that customers come first and without them there wouldn't be the business. The management are cool and understanding; they make the place easy to work at. The co-workers make everything fun. The hardest part of the job is meeting every customer needs when it becomes really busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being there in the environment because the people, the environment, and the energy is so positive that I can call it a second home.
wasn't what i was told
ASM (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: free lb coffee or tea a week, 30% off, when not at work on anything in store, free beverages during work, staff i worked with was amazing and friendly
Cons: mis-leading, pay was mediocre, amount of work is repetitive and more labour than should be
I applied as Store Manager, had 3 phone interviews with HR. She than offered me the ASM (Assistant Store Manager) position and telling me id be better off starting this off. (even though my past experience as Banquet Manager and Restaurant Manager wasn't enough to her, she told me Starbucks was totally different management). I than met with District Manager in person. Everything i was informed seemed positive and was looking really forward to it all. The benefit, the Perks, it was all good, but it was a huge distraction to what the job really was.
I was told i was first hired because of my past professional experience in dealing with customers/ guests, and my personality being so outgoing.
4 weeks training- 2 weeks barista, it was so fun and i learned so much.
2 weeks training as Shift Supervisor- a lot of work, it was still fun, but repetitive work in counting inventory, and they have a few added steps that waste so much labor work. i ended up being transferred to the actual store i was suppose to work, and become that ASM i was being trained for. when i started at the property, they started to RE-train me with everything i had already been trained on rather than starting to train and work as the ASM.

if you have past managerial experiences you will know what a manager is all about. The management position is not what you;; expect. The DM controls with fear, and it seems that head office has no trust in their stores.
through out my training i barely had the time to communicate with the customers, make the connections.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more