Starbucks
5,322 reviews

Starbucks Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work. Had problems with the company.
Barista (Former Employee), Oakville, ONApril 26, 2015
Working at starbucks was a great job, it had many benefits and perks. However, the company tried to hard to make us make connections with customers. This made conversations forced and the company seem pretentious.
Much like a starter home.
Sr.Supervisor (Current Employee), DurhamApril 25, 2015
Pros: Coffee Mark-out and Stock options plus benefits to partimers.
Cons: Managers do not work the floor much but take and get the credit for reaching targets.
Explanation: The job has many benefits if you use it as a stepping stone. Promotion from within is very hard as they like to hire talent from outside the company. Management like to use write-ups as threats and if you do not work the schedule days they need you , they play with your hours and force you into working what they want. The regular customers make the job amazing, so learn while you earn but use the job as a stepping stone to another company.
Variety, able to work with many different people
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 24, 2015
Pros: Discount products, extended benefits
A typical day varied greatly, depending on the time and day of shift. My coworkers were great team players and we were always willing to help each other out. Management was accommodating and constantly helping me improve.
The hardest part of this job was serving customers who do not see baristas as people but this also allowed me to turn the interaction into something positive. By reaching out in a friendly manner to create an authentic interaction with customers I was able to improve someone's day and make them realize that people behind the counters were just that, people.
Fast and positive work environment.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee), Nanaimo BC.April 22, 2015
Pros: Learning the menu front to back.
Cons: Too much coffee in a day.
For the short while I was working with starbucks, I was able to learn more about the company and how to work steadily through long yet fast paced shifts. Working in a Target owned starbucks, you only work with 1-3 people at a time leaving you to work independently most days which has helped me to develop more confidence in my work productivity.
Good intermediate job, long unreasonable hours and no communication from management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 22, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, some nice customers
Cons: angry customers, poor management / communication, impossible promotions with no increased staff.
Worked as a shift supervisor for 2 years and was miserable. The store could not afford an assistant manager so I was tasked with all the duties but a mere $1 pay raise. My responsibilities crept up %300 as I was in charge of : All store ordering, creating schedule, safe and cash counts as well as bank deposits, cleaning, serving customers, responding to emails, phone calls and inquires, running breaks and getting yelled at by angry customers while supervising a team of up to 7 people and serving upwards of 400 customers in a 4 hour period. The shifts were 5am one day and 11am the next making it very difficult to adjust to the times and my manager called in sick %80 of the time and provided no extra workers when promotions doubled our customer counts. Over worked and under paid , I have nothing good to say about Starbucks.
Fun working place.
Barista (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABApril 22, 2015
The staff were amazing, the managers were always there to help you and I quite enjoyed the location of the store. Its was like one big family and I wish I had never left.
Fun job, although its always busy
Shift Barista Supervisor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2015
Pros: free drink
Cons: short hours
My schedule always starts at 4 pm, typical rush hour. In this job you'll learn how to balance your time, doing this at the same time without even noticing it.
Productive and Enjoyable
Barista (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONApril 17, 2015
Typically I would stay at cash taking orders. I would make drinks often, and learned to handle large orders at once and to be quick and efficient. Management taught me to handle rushes as well as keeping the customers happy. I got along with all my co-workers as we depended on each other to run efficiently. The most enjoyable part of the job was the connection I develop with customers. The hardest part of the job would be the constant standing as well as the heavy lifting.
My life at Strabucks
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2015
Pros: free pound of coffe a week, benefits, discount on all merchdise
Cons: long hours, work more hours then paid for, didnt agree with all there policies and prcedures.
Going into my job everyday was always enjoyable. Getting to interact with different people everyday and learning more about the regulars that frequented my location each day. My job allowed me to really interact with people on more than just a " here's your coffee have a great day" moment. I enjoyed creating inspired moments in each person days starting with a delicious cup of coffee.. The community work I was able to do, donating coffee to local organization that were raising money to better the community. Seeing how appreciative everyone was to have me offer to help in anyway I could. Being able to donate left over food to those that were less fortunate. Yes the hours were long and you will always have people that want to make your day bad, but being able to work with my peers to overcome getting angry and dealing with situations in the best way possible.
CRew
Barista (Former Employee), torontoApril 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the staff we all got a long very well. the customers are great. it was one of my favourite jobs
I love working with people ,and a busy place I realy enjoy it
Shift supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 13, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
I love seeing my customers every single day , i enjoy talking to each and everyone of them they ,
Ill say the hardest part for me would be getting up 4am :( still not used to it but once i get to work love it :)
And i love my management team , and my team they are making my day with they are big smile :)))))
I dont no what els to say !
Fast past job with great customer service being the objective
Barista (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: Connecting with customers
Cons: Early start times
There were many different positions one may be placed on such as cashier, drive through,to various cleaning jobs. I learned how to work as a time under pressure as well as how to work independently. The hardest part of the job is remaining calm and focusing on the task at hand even when there is a huge rush of customers. The best part is connecting with those customers and ensuring their satisfaction with the company.
Starbucks
Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2015
Pros: Everything was amazing!
A typical day at work for Starbucks was mainly fast and slow past of customers coming in. It was a great experience working under the company, benefits were great, tips were high, and the customers were amazing. It was like a "home" type of feelings, a third place to be outside of work and home. I learned a lot during the time I was there, I would do it over again if I could. The management was amazing, my boss understood everything and worked around how I was doing. My co-workers were very friendly, I never had any problem with any of them. The hardest part of the job, I would say, is the weekend work and the early morning shifts. Since I live far away from family, I wasn't able to travel to see them at all. Other than the time, the experience was amazing. I would do it over again if I could.
fantastic environment fast paced and welcoming
Barista (Former Employee), mississauga, ONApril 8, 2015
serve customers as they come in, always welcoming and friendly while addressing customers concerns. employ Starbucks core values while on shift. Great company to work for while in school.
Good partners and environment
Barista (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 7, 2015
I enjoyed working at Starbucks as i gained immense knowledge into the coffee world and culture. It's a happy environment and a great place to work! Social interaction is part of the daily job and I love that part of it as i am a very outgoing and social person!
not my cup of coffee
Certified Barista (Former Employee), mississaugaApril 7, 2015
Pros: make customers happy
Cons: make my co-workers jealous
same as receiver, opening and closing the store , making coffee every 30 minutes, providing a friendly and uplifting experience , every job is the same just different environments , co- workers lol like I said make customers happy and co-workers get jealous call it positive reinforcement. Helping others and getting help. Going home after the work is done.
Great Company
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), HamiltonApril 3, 2015
Its a fun, fast past job. It does get a little repetitive but overall its still pretty fun. The company gives you amazing benefits like health at 20 hours a week and tuition reimbursement even at part time.
Busy workplace with excellent service
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMarch 31, 2015
I have worked at Starbucks for about two years now and I love working there. I enjoy many things about working at Starbucks, I love what they're about, I love the customers, I love the environment and I love my coworkers. Working there gives me a sense of family and belonging, we all work very well together and we're a tight knit group. Starbucks emphasizes very much on their excellent customer service, it's one of the first things they teach you when you begin training. The main goal is to let everyone leave our store with the same sense of belonging that working there will give its employees. We strive to connect with each customer, welcome them, teach them and deliver the ultimate experience. I love that. I love being able to connect with complete strangers over a cup of coffee.
My position here is a Shift Supervisor. This requires many responsibilities and is quite a test of skill. As a Shift, you need to have excellent time management, your day need to be planned perfectly. You are responsible for sending people on breaks, keeping track of inventory, planning for tomorrows sales and making sure you and your coworkers are maintaining the store. You are who the team looks to when times are stressful, you become the role model for everyone else which is a responsibility I eagerly took when I received the position. My store gets very busy which means that sometimes my partners get stressed out and that puts more strain on me, this is one of the downsides of the job. There are times when we are understaffed and much too busy and it's up to me to keep a strong head on my shoulders – more... and push my team to stay relaxed and get through the rush. I've learned a lot of value when it comes to being a leader, if I crumble then my whole team does so I have no problem with keeping a good face and being reassuring as well as encouraging. I've learned a lot about time management and customer service and how much of an impact the little things have. I've learned much about organization and how essential it is to have the skills of a team player and being good at working alone. – less
we work like a family
Barista (Former Employee), Langley, BCMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free drinks, generally happy atmosphere, getting to work with friends
Cons: early mornings, long days, grouchy people at times
Im happy to say that while working with starbucks, ive never felt more like i was in a family. my coworkers were there for me whenever i needed. we could speak about anything with one another without the thought of judgement upon one another. i personally felt incredibly comfortable.
the management on the other hand, i found my gm to be irresponsible, disrespectful, immature and ungrateful. i felt belittled on a daily basis.
Fast paced, great guest service
Store Manager (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Fast-paced, always busy
Cons: Slow periods
Typical day included setting up pastry case, preparing drinks, cleaning, performing food safety tasks. Learned great leadership skills and how to lead a team. Management was extremely supportive. Co-workers were extremely hard-working. Hardest part was being busy and working alone. Most enjoyable was the people I worked with and the fast pace.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more