Starbucks

Starbucks Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work at
Barista (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: free beverage
Cons: hours can get cut
Personal connections with the customers are the best part of the shift. I learned that customers come first and without them there wouldn't be the business. The management are cool and understanding; they make the place easy to work at. The co-workers make everything fun. The hardest part of the job is meeting every customer needs when it becomes really busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being there in the environment because the people, the environment, and the energy is so positive that I can call it a second home.
wasn't what i was told
ASM (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: free lb coffee or tea a week, 30% off, when not at work on anything in store, free beverages during work, staff i worked with was amazing and friendly
Cons: mis-leading, pay was mediocre, amount of work is repetitive and more labour than should be
I applied as Store Manager, had 3 phone interviews with HR. She than offered me the ASM (Assistant Store Manager) position and telling me id be better off starting this off. (even though my past experience as Banquet Manager and Restaurant Manager wasn't enough to her, she told me Starbucks was totally different management). I than met with District Manager in person. Everything i was informed seemed positive and was looking really forward to it all. The benefit, the Perks, it was all good, but it was a huge distraction to what the job really was.
I was told i was first hired because of my past professional experience in dealing with customers/ guests, and my personality being so outgoing.
4 weeks training- 2 weeks barista, it was so fun and i learned so much.
2 weeks training as Shift Supervisor- a lot of work, it was still fun, but repetitive work in counting inventory, and they have a few added steps that waste so much labor work. i ended up being transferred to the actual store i was suppose to work, and become that ASM i was being trained for. when i started at the property, they started to RE-train me with everything i had already been trained on rather than starting to train and work as the ASM.

if you have past managerial experiences you will know what a manager is all about. The management position is not what you;; expect. The DM controls with fear, and it seems that head office has no trust in their stores.
through out my training i barely had the time to communicate with the customers, make the connections.
Decent overall
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: 10% off at target
Cons: sometimes long hours and demanding customers
A great place to work, with decent hours, however the particular franchise I was working at was owned by target Canada and thus I've lost my job
Perfect place to connect with family and friends
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2015
A place to explore the coffee around the world. Deliver a world class service to every customers. A perfect place to connect to everyone.
Exciting & fun retail place to work at
Bar Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good periodical breaks between shifts
Cons: can get very busy and tedious
Starbucks is one the most busy retail stores in the industry.
i learned a lot of things like customer interaction, quality service delivery, time management, & cash handling and a lot more .
Excellent co workers and a great environment to work in.
fun workplace
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), edmontonFebruary 23, 2015
management are very helpful event the staff. we create a healthy and balance environment workplace. we ensure that we serve with world class service and communicate with customer
Great workplace, hard to advance in calgary
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: all the coffee (free drinks, free coffee)
Cons: management can be hard to deal with
I really love my current job, but advancement is hard and reliant on who you know to get anywhere.

While the job is fun, it can be stressful and can lead to awkward moments and fun times had by all, but you need to be able to brush a lot of your own personal feeling aside when you come to work, as almost everyone is trying to get their foot up the ladder, and one bad thing can put down the list quite quickly.
Absolutely awesome co-workers
Barista (Current Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: benefits, co-workers, free drinks and discount, fairly flexible hours
Cons: customers, policies, can't move up, not enough hours, low pay
I don't know if it's just my store, but my co-workers are just amazing people to work with. They are the sole reason I am still working there at the moment.

The job itself is fine. It's retail, it gets old fairly quickly. The customers are really hit or miss. Some are very entitled and feel they can treat us like their slaves. And the 'always say yes' policy at Starbucks really doesn't help us employees deal with this properly. There is really no way to tell a customer off if they are being rude, you basically just have to give them whatever they want, and they continue to act and demand things every time they come into the store; even if it goes against other Starbucks policies (such as the re-fill policy). If Starbucks could change their attitude it would benefit both the partners and the sincere customers who don't demand free drinks and this and that just because they can. It's really unfair.

It's also hard to move up and get full-time hours. The general weekly hours everyone gets are around 20; more if you're a shift, but again becoming a shift isn't very easy in my store as we have so many already.

Making the drinks can be fun, and the free drinks during your shift are nice but I'm pretty sure they are the cause of a few cavities I got recently ;P. The benefits are really handy once you get them, but you can only apply for them once a year, so some co-workers missed the deadline and are without for a year again. That's hard as the pay is pretty low, with the low hours. Very hard to live on if you're not at home any more or covered by school.

It's a pretty good job if you're in school - high-school or post-secondary - but as a full-time job it's probably not your best bet for long term work unless you're a shift and want to work your way up.
fun workplace
Barista - Engaging (Former Employee), Fergus, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: management
Starbucks is a great company but it was located inside a target which I did not prefer. Management was not up to professional standards at the location i was working at.
Great work environment, great co-workers
Barista (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 7, 2015
Fun team dynamic, great job if you enjoy working in teams. I really loved the routine and organization that this job comes with.
Fantastic place to work at
Barista (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: amazing student job
Cons: weird shifts
Best job I've had in awhile, great schedules w/ excellent student hours if you are in school. Great company to start gaining experience with.
Fast paced, dynamic work environment.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: free bevs, free coffee.
Cons: the occasional bad customer.
Not repetitive, throughout the day - always switching tasks. I learned a lot working at Starbucks, both about the company, work world, as well as myself. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers constantly, and the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with coworkers.
Good Work Place
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: we got two 15 min breaks & 30 min lunch break
Cons: people showing up late i didn't care for it. always good to be on time
It was a great place to work & learned a lot in my year & half. I had good co-workers who knew their job & skills we always had good laughs to make the day go by smooth. The management was good we all got along as team players and the hardest part was to see some of the great workers leave.
Working at Starbucks Coffee
BARISTA (Current Employee), Richardson Winnipeg AirportFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: co-workers are friendly and respectful, job makes it easy working as a team
Cons: short notice sick call
It's always a busy day in Starbucks but I learned that following instructions is a number one key to have a delicious handcraft drinks. Working as a team will make a huge difference because the line up will become smooth. My co-workers are very hard working and initiative and it is very important to have that kind of attitude.The hardest part of the job is when one of us will make a short notice sick call and it affects our job because we need more people if it gets busy. It's hard to get others to cover the one who called in sick; The most fun part on my job is that I can try the most recent beverages and make it at the same time. I know all the secret Starbucks recipe which I feel proud of myself since I am a coffee drinker.
AMAZING
Barista Help (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: great enviroment.
Cons: age restrictions
when I found out I was going to work with Starbucks I rolled my eye's thinking it was another job that didn't care to much about the employee's, then I got into the work experience and was blown away on how much I enjoyed working with the company. my day as a work experience "barista" contained of me cleaning the store, restocking shelf's, making coffee and helping the Barista's. my co-workers we fun to work with I enjoyed myself when I had finished all task's and chatting with them while no customer's were around of course. the hardest part was saying bye, I never enjoyed a job experience as much as working as a "barista" I would love to be hired by Starbucks but due to my age employment manager's over look my maturity and experience. it is sad for me to say this but I wont be applying for Starbucks until I'm 19 (currently 17) it makes me frustrated that nobody has hired me yet from Starbucks. I loved my time working with them and found that people who are hired constantly complain about working with them as for I wont ever complain or whine about it. but it's behind me now, I'm looking for Barista position's elsewhere.
Always something new
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: quiet atmosphere
Cons: helping out with teeth extractions
Working here was greatest time of my life! It was always quiet and I had time to myself sometimes it wasn't after hours but I liked it a lot. The hardest part was being assistant and afterwards throwing out things like teeth that still had gums attached.
A supportive environment that enables successful growth within the company.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 24, 2015
Fast paced environment with customers' needs prioritized. As shift supervisor, was able to build time management skills. Lots of smiles!
A place too feel comfortable with everything.
Never had experienced almost worked at Starbucks (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: kind people
Cons: slow
It looks like a caring place & very friendly people
i go there all the time, maybe once a week & the people would serve my drinks & the ones on the cashier are respectful, kind, & helpful and i appreciate it very much. It looks like its really hard to make the drinks, especially ALL the drinks & having too learn how to make them but it also seems fun at the same time!
Fun Workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton,AlbertaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: sometimes very busy time of the day
I really Like to Work at Starbucks. I like the Job Culture and everything. I like to Make Coffee and Drinks. The thing that i like the most are the Seasonal drinks I really love to make them. and the special offers for the customer to make them, happy and give them free drinks after certain procedure i Just like these little little things Overall I just want to say I really enjoy working in Starbucks. The
Enjoyable shifts in a fun atmosphere.
Assistant Manager/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, free coffee
Cons: gossip between other employees.
I enjoyed working at Starbucks and build great relationships with the customers and employees. My favorite parts of working there was the freedom to take charge and to get things done, while creating those special relationships with regular and new customers.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more