Starbucks

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent benefits and training
Store Manager (Current Employee), Richmond HillJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Bonuses
Cons: Management restrictions and expectations
Excellent benefits : Health, dental, vision options. Good salary and bonuses at management level.
Good customer service training and expectations.
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, 30% discount, great people (customers and co-workers)
Cons: Because of the high traffic of customers, manager sometimes underschedules
Great fun place to work and meet new people. More than just co-workers. Only downside was my manager made it tough on the whole store with the scheduling, so it was time to move on. Not all Starbucks are the same.
Too many low-qualified managers!
Supervisor (Former Employee), College Park, MDJuly 3, 2015
I worked at Starbucks during my undergraduate years. The work environment was often hectic not due to the high volume of customers that is peculiar to cafes, but because the majority of the workers were either young college students who lacked professionalism and poor supervisory practices that led to poor store management.
The most enjoyable/easiest aspect of the job is the unvarying, formulaic – more... style of the job requirements regardless of the position. Once prompts, recipes and tasks are memorized, it is difficult not to perform well.
The least favorable aspect of the job was the importance of sales. As a Starbucks barista, one is required to promote the newest beverages and products. In the most recent years, Starbucks has relied heavily on their non-coffee sales. Not only are baristas required to encourage customers to buy; baristas have personal sales quotes for non-beverage sales, which I find absurd, given that Starbucks is a coffee house, not a general store. – less
fun, interactive and busy place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
Pros: benefits for even par time em ployees
Cons: i'm always over caffeinated!
Shifts starting at 5am Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays.
opening the store by setting up displays and merchandise, stocking food display cases and calibrating espresso machines.
As management, I would be responsible for counting all safes/tills, preparing and taking deposits to bank, receiving change orders, and managing inventory.

Management is great! We work as a cohesive team.
Co-workers are very hard working, love the job and are very customer driven.

Hardest part of the job is being on top of your toes in regards to proper deployment and delegating to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently during busy times.

Most enjoyable part of my day is getting to interact with our regular customers, and meeting new people.
Avoid at all costs
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Squamish, BCJune 29, 2015
Pros: some cool coworkers
Cons: some two-faced, backstabbing, sabotaging, immature, condescending, arguementative, ego-centric coworkers
There were some amazing coworkers, and others that were the worst people I have ever worked with in my entire life. It is horribly managed, tonnes of miscommunication, and made me stop being a customer after seeing how much weight employees put on from the over-sugary drinks and I would rather promote health than diabetes. Seen similar issues at other various locations, so there is something systematic – more... in the Starbucks world that creates hostilities in some. Possibly in any job, but noticing it more in food industry, but Bucks seems to have it the worst so far. Must be connected to some sort of sense of entitlement or stuck-up factor in starbucks employees that other coffee places dont have as delusional workers. Ah, there it is, they should never have called them "partners" when they havent earned that title, as much as the idea and intention behind it was to be positive. – less
Fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCJune 27, 2015
Pros: Free coffee!
Cons: Managment
Working there was fun. I found that the management wasn't the best, but there was always something to do and always room for improvement. The pay was pretty decent and there was always advancement in your position.
Close to home
Barista/Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 27, 2015
Pros: Free coffee
Cons: Always smelling like coffee
Close to home, could walk there, and get my daily exercise in. I love coffee so it was the perfect type of job. Closed early enough for me to take transit home at night.
Fun, fast-paced environment to work in
Barista, Barista Trainer, and Cashier (Current Employee), North Vancouver, BCJune 25, 2015
Pros: Free drinks on-shift and a 30% discount on all food items or if you aren't on-shift
Cons: Lack of communication between management and employees
A typical day at Starbucks includes: cleaning, putting sticker dates on items in order to note their expiration dates, setting up the food case and putting items on display for customers, warming up food items for customers, recommending new drinks or food items to customers, handling cash transactions, recommending merchandise or coffee beans for customers to purchase, reporting to supervisors or – more... management, answering phone calls, preparing handcrafted drinks, and connecting with customers from the second they step in the door until the second they leave the store.

The manager is very friendly and approachable.

My co-workers are fantastic people all around. Some workers are a bit faster than others which is really beneficial during large rushes of customers.

The hardest part of my job is trying not to visibly stress out. It's a very fast-paced job, and sometimes it is very hard not to take things personally if there is a customer complaint. In no way do I get defensive, but I tend to "let things get to me". I offer the best solution to customers, which may include a future store credit for a free drink, or offering to remake his/her drink if I accidentally didn't make it correctly or to his/her standards. – less
Great
Supervisor (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 23, 2015
The store management was great, always working to make the store and staff better. Treated everyone with respect and understanding.
Great people to work with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 17, 2015
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: hire up decisions often don't make sense
The job was pretty straight forward, once you got the hang of routine to make bevearges. The job however, was not advertised as a sales job nor did it seem like one when I first started but a few years ago it has begun being run more and more like other businesses losing its niche.
The customer focus used to be the most important thing now it appears to be sales and volume. The playbook routine is – more... broken and doesn't work in most stores. Managment appears brainwashed to many policies and decisions by the hire ups.
The people I worked however, were some of the most interesting and fun people I have ever met. The job is extremely flexible and it is usually easy to find someone to cover the shifts.
The incentives to sell are basically zero but managment will constantly coach you on selling despite zero incentive to do so.
They give stocks to employees but its not an amount that makes me want to take ownership of the company. They frequently outside hire for district managers and managers despite their being more than capable people working in the stores they just want someone who is done it before even if they don't understand what starbucks culture is. overall I left after one day of working at a new store when I realized the playbook routine left employees in one position for hours on end and didn't give any room for conversation between employees that usually helped bridge to customers and allowed me to get them to trust me and SELL better. the company is heading in a direction more compairable to mcdonalds and if you own stocks in starbucks i'd sell now. – less
Amazing Environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Vancouver BCJune 11, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, nice coworkers
Cons: A LOT of cleaning
Great Management, Great co-workers and even greater customers!
I quickly advanced to training employees, which was a nice confidence boost.
Great Place to learn basics
Full time Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 11, 2015
You'll meet great co workers and you'll learn business operations and inventory management. Great place to work to learn basics and customer services.
Productive and fun place to work
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), toronto onJune 10, 2015
Pros: free coffee, drinks, and benefits
Cons: hard to find shift coverage.
I worked with amazing people in a fast paced environment that allowed me to hone my management skills. The hardest part is making sure everyone is happy, co-workers and otherwise.
great enthusiasm from management
Barista/ Store Supervisor (Former Employee), toronto onJune 9, 2015
I loved working at starbucks, it gave me a great opportunity to meet and connect with amazing people. It was my first job and one of the best ones. Everyday was a different and exciting new experience. The environment and support from my team members really got me through the difficult times. I would rate starbucks my top10 places to work.
The Job is fine. It's the boss I'm not happy about
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 8, 2015
I learned a lot in there. The job is fast-paced and I don't get easily bored with the job. The people I work there are fun to be with.
My boss is nice. However, she is not that diligent at her job. I always feel like she's not entrusting me with anything. It saddens me because I really want to show her that I can do them all and I can finish the things I need to do. If only she can give me the chance to prove myself to her.
A Great Company To Start Out With
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABJune 6, 2015
Pros: Free drinks and coffee, amazing discount, health benefits on part-time, you can sometimes feel like you're hanging out while making coffee on the side
Cons: Some stores open really early or are 24h, some store managers can change the feel, the occasional customer has an entitlement complex, wages aren't out-of-this-world (but many of the benefits offset the difference)
I loved my time at Starbucks, and I gained lots of valuable experience there. My manager was amazing, willing to help me grow and make sure I had a good work/life balance. He was always finding ways to help me grow, and the abilities I learned there are helping me in other positions now. The hardest part of the job is probably when a crazed customer wants life to be perfect, but they are few, unlike – more... at a few other stores we could mention. On the flip side, I loved interacting with the customers and partners - I met lot's of neat people and gained some great relationships.
You may hear not-so-great experiences at Starbucks, but generally those are in the minority and because the store manager wasn't professional and didn't give the staff or customers time of day. Overall a great company, but definitely not my long-time career. – less
Fun Environment to work in
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2015
Make beverages for customers and make sure they leave happy. Also celan dishes and mop floor and clean other equipment to make beverages. Was really fun though
great work place for students
superviser (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, AB and West Vancouver, BCJune 3, 2015
Pros: free drinks on shift, stock options, and discounts
Cons: the only way to get fulltime is become a supperviser and thats why its good for students
Very good place to work in entry level position.They have great training and a very good atmosphere to work in. And that's why its a good job for students.
Fun place to work but needs to be paid more
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 2, 2015
Pros: Free drinks on work days
Cons: not enough pay
Starbucks is a fun place to work and is ideal if you are still in school. However, the pay isn't all that good for the amount of stress level and work you do. Especially if you are a shift supervisor.

I learned to remain calm in high stress leveled scenarios and how to meet customers needs/demands. I also learned to memorize the many drink combinations there are at Starbucks.

The hardest part of my job is to remain calm during stressful times and dealing with difficult people.

I enjoy my job overall though and love being in customer service.
It is a great experience of customer service
Barista (Current Employee), New Westminster, CanadaJune 1, 2015
Starbucks is a fantastic environment of working, and the co-worker 's interruption and costumer's connection are both experiences I am treasuring with.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more