Starbucks Employee Reviews

An Amazing International Team
Barista Part Time (Former Employee) –  queens quay12 November 2016
Being apart of a Starbucks team has given me the opportunity to exercise my skills in a warm and buzzing environment. Being a barista at Starbucks has guaranteed a healthy and happy relationship with my fellow baristas at starbucks and most importantly serve the customers with a certain special interest to develop a welcoming relationship.
Pros
Great team. Great manager. Amazing customers.
Cons
Little space to work with, in my location.
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Great Benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2016
Have been working for more than 3 years now.
Starbucks has awesome benefit plans and stock plans for baristas and consider all employees valuable partners.
Feel as though they would protect partners in any situations but the quality of customer service provided is tiresome to employees.
Customers are accustomed to 'just say yes' and 'make it right' so even when they arbitrarily want everything we have to say yes and provide everything.
I think all the partners deserve to get a lot more raise
Pros
Free beverages and great benefits
Cons
quality of customers
An enjoyable and enriching experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
the typical day working at starbucks was, in one word, fun! i learned quite a lot of things such as; time management and leadership. The management were amazing and my co-workers were some of nicest people i've ever met. The hardest part about the job was that it was extremely hard to maintain while still being in school, if i could have done both i would. in general though, Starbucks was an amazing experience for me and would surely be the same for anyone else!
Pros
great people, fun workplace, nice pace, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no flexibility when it came to hours
Positive atmosphere, friendly customers
Certified Barista (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 November 2016
The best thing about working at Starbucks is the ability to build and maintain rapport with customers. We're encouraged to have conversations and learn about the people who come in. We joke with our customers, tell the occasional story, and listen about what's going on in their daily lives. That we are able to make them feel like people and not just a transaction really builds moral, at least for me.
My partners are wonderful, as well. Full of personality and good humour, they always make it a good time to come in to work.
Pros
Free coffee on your shift
Cons
The pay could be better, honestly.
Great atmosphere, active workplace, fantastic co-workers, great customers, poor training.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
Typical shift was from 3:30-5:30. This job refined my customer relation skills, I feel much more confident in talking to customers and suggesting products based off of that customers preference and experiences with products. My manager for this job wanted her employees to remember origins of pastry ingredients and that was a bit difficult to do especially because it was never a question that came up. I enjoyed crafting drinks but most of all connecting with customers and my coworkers.
Pros
Free drinks, 1lb of coffee per week.
Fabulous place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 November 2016
A wonderful place to work where the coworkers and management make the workplace truly enjoyable. A typical day is generally quite busy, but each individual is given a specific role to follow, and the opportunity to switch roles if it becomes boring. Everyone is so helpful, and questions are always welcomed. Management is great, and so are the opportunities for advancement. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job is when you first start, because there is so much to learn and remember; but once you get the hang of things, its good. I enjoy all aspects of working here, especially making the drinks. Mostly because it gives you the chance to be super creative, and is especially rewarding when customers compliment what you have served them.
Great at first
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 October 2016
Loved it at first, then new management came along. Still a great job with many benefits such as free beverages and pounds of coffee. It's great to see our regulars come in everyday. Type of place with lots of turnover and out of a staff of around 20 only 3 have been there since I started a year ago. Working nights is extremely easy and laid back but the mornings are complete opposite. It becomes extremely repetitive, maybe it's seeing the same customers everyday or making the same drinks a 100 times a day but overall it's not a bad job.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere, awesome customers.
Cons
No hours, poor management, understaffed in busy situations.
Great Workplace but not for everyone
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2016
The job is very fast-paced and very stressful. I personally didn't get along with many of my coworkers, but that's not to say that another person wouldn't strive there. I learned very quickly how to think on my feet and how to connect with a customer while also providing fast and exceptional service.
Pros
Free drinks before, during, and after shift. Lots of Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low wages for amount of work done
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Working at Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 September 2016
Starbucks is a company that is evidently successful in aligning their vision and goals with their strategies. As a barista at starbucks, I was always encouraged to develop strong customer connections and do our best to provide them with the best service possible.

In most cases, profit was not the priority but rather creating a valuable experience for our customers and getting to know who they are.

In terms of the work space environment, employees are encouraged to be engaged with one another by writing "green apron cards" which are cards that one could either anonymously or openly encourage or compliment another partner on their accomplishments at work.
Pros
extremely rewarding customer connections and developed relationships
Cons
high demand for physical labour
Great place but not an easy job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB10 September 2016
I'll come out with saying this is not an easy job. If you're considering working here, don't do it if you want an easy job. It is a mentally, emotionally and physically demanding job and you need to be ready for that. Having said that, I love working for Starbucks. The company treats you amazing, and you grow so close with your coworkers, it feels like family. It is a very rewarding job. I mean free coffee every week and free drinks? I'll take that every day. But great company to work for. Just be ready to work your butt off.
Pros
Free drinks, free coffee, amazing environment
Cons
Physically demanding, crabby customers
Great Environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, AB23 August 2016
Starbucks has shown to me and all the other employees that they really care about each and every staff member. We are not called employees, but rather partners. We are all treated the same and with the same respect, whether you are a barista or a manager. No two days are the same, you have customer rushes at different times, you always have new drinks coming out and the customers every day are different, with the exception of our regulars. I have learned so many great skills, like working alongside people with a multitude of different personalities and work habits. I have enjoyed working with all of the people at my store, they make my day enjoyable.
Great co-workers & regulars
Barista (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 October 2016
I have learned that working at Starbuck's, every day is different even if you are doing the same thing every day. I look forward to being with my partners & regulars every day as the people are the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is getting everything accomplished on a busy day & you feel overwhelmed.
Pros
Free coffee/ Cool atmosphere
Cons
Lots of cleaning
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 November 2016
Fun work place since you get to talk to people and get to know them and become their friends eventually. Everyday you meet different kind of people and some of them shares how their day have been. It is pretty fulfilling. Feels so good to see a connect to strangers,
learn quick
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 September 2016
there are 3 main responsibilities for a barista making drinks, supporting customers, or being on the register. Most often during a shift people get to alternate jobs so that it isn't a long day on one thing. Managers are very flexible with scheduling and appreciating people who are in school or work a second job like myself.
Pros
free beverages and discount on food items
Great First Job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2016
As a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks, it really teaches you about how to be a leader. You are leading the baristas throughout that day, motivating and coaching them to deliver the best service possible to your customers. It also teaches you how to remain calm in high volume periods. Furthermore, it helps develops your ability to be detail-oriented in regards to labor variances, inventory, and daily deposits. Overall, it is a great, well-rounded, starter job.
Pros
Flexible Job
Cons
Low salary
fun workplace
PART TIME BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2016
Nice working with good people in my store. Starbucks has good benefits. Hardest part of the job though is the closing schedule since you need to clean the store after closing. Most enjoyable part of my job is you get to meet a lot of people while working, talking to customers and knowing their favorite drinks. In Starbucks, we are not just making a good cup of coffee but mostly giving the best customer service to all our customer.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
shifting schedule
productive and fun places with the co workers and customer
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB15 October 2016
it is really fun to work with them also it is fun to communicate to the customer. Everyday working is fun and more challenging for me. There is no hardest job and my everyday life if i know how to solve most of the problem that im having or i had.
Pros
free drinks, freecoffee beans, teas etc
Cons
great hours
Productive and super fun. Great breaks and fun customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2016
A day at work was fun, fast paced when busy, and very productive. My co-workers were team players and loved working together, the only downfall of my experience was the management. The management was absolutely wretched, I have never been so ill-treated in my entire life. The hardest part of that job was probably the way we were treated as partners under our manager.