Starbucks
4,250 reviews

Starbucks Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great work environment and great customer service.
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond BCOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free coffee and great medical and dental benefits.
Cons: long hours
I learned what it was like to work for a company, many rules which are easy to abide by. I enjoyed the benefits as well.
Great first job to be at and lots of benefits at Starbucks
Barista (Current Employee), Lloydminster, SKOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free drinks, great wage, awesome staff
Cons: long hours, short staffed, busy, and hard to book time off
A typical day at work is fun. The customers are awesome. I learned how to work well under pressure. The management at the moment is awesome. We currently don't have a manager but we are getting one. The co-workers are great, obviously every job does have some conflict with them but not for me. The hardest part would be the long hours and that we are – more... short staffed mostly. The most enjoyable part would be the connection you have with the customers. I love ot!! – less
Fast paced, free coffee, and discount on books!
Hospitality Representative/ HR Consultant (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Very busy work place!

I learned a lot at working at Starbucks. The management/leadership teams were provided with great training - Foundations of Leadership and Best Hiring Practices. This is just the tip of the iceburg for all that I learned while working as a Manager for Starbucks.

I had great managers that did not micro manage situations or people. – more... They were always supportive and knew the business inside and out.

I had great co-workers. We worked as a team and were resources for each other, and the business.

The job as Manager was a great job to have! The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing team member move on to great things and big careers. – less
Great People. Great Values. Uninspiring Leadership.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2014
Pros: free drinks.
Cons: shift work. it's still retail.
A very top-down organization. The best idea will usually not win. New directions are not discussed and not viewed through the lens of those who are on the ground having to execute.

The stated corporate values attract great people but when that comes up against business measurable realities, the values are overlooked and the bottom line rules.
Best job I've ever had.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: discount, flexible hours, encouraged individuality
Cons: false promises
Like most people, Starbucks was a job I took because I needed it. I kept it because I loved it. The customers and the partners were both amazing. The skills I already possessed were given the opportunity to grow while I worked here.
Great culture, fun work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), VancouverOctober 7, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work life balance
This is not a back room management position or run of the mill store manager job. It’s being on the front line, connecting with customers and partners. It’s the opportunity to develop your own team, hiring and welcoming new partners and future leaders for your store.
typical day at work
Barista (Former Employee), oakvilleOctober 6, 2014
Pros: discount on food and drinks
Cons: breaks
I would sign in say hello to my coworkers, ask my manager what job I would be performing for the day and get on it.
Overworked, underpaid
Supervisor (Former Employee), OakvilleOctober 2, 2014
Pros: medical and dental (if you make the deadlines, twice a year)
Cons: hours, pay
I was fortunate to be in a store with great co-workers and a great manager, however the expectations and workload for the amount of money (minimum wage) was ridiculous. Typically the floor is run with one supervisor and two Baristas (ideally). Opening means you're at work at 5am and typically work until 1:30pm. Closes start at 2pm and end at 10:30pm. – more... At 7am the morning rush starts and hopefully you have three people working, it will last 1 to 2 hours ending around 8:30-9am If you work at a busier store it never really ends. Following the morning rush you have the lunch rush, which is really based on your proximity to a high school (we had two). Finally there is the evening rush which is usually after dinner and if you work at a "slow store" your probably gonna see very few customers coming in after 7:30pm.

Side Tasks
-----------------
While you're ringing through endless drink orders and your fellow barista is making these drinks you're expected to maintain the pastry case rotate coffees every 30 minutes (which means you're brewing coffee every 10 minutes) clean the entire store, bus tables, stock the condiment stand(s) maintain the bathrooms, clean the dishes, Urnex the coffee urns, heat sandwiches, stock ice, mop the floors and mats in both the cafe and behind the counter, and stock RTDE (the fridge with the sandwiches and juices). Supervisors must delegate and assist with all these tasks as well as run breaks, complete food and coffee orders, balance tills, drop tips, count in and out of the safe, and run the deposits to the banks daily, as well as daily inventory and markout counts. Furthermore there are setup days for new seasons, full inventory counts, and QASA (Quality Assurance) audits. Closing entails sanitizing the entire store as well as stocking and cleaning the bathrooms, taking out all of the garbage and putting away the food order for the next day, which will also be dated with expiration stickers. These are all considered to be the "side tasks" as your main focus is the customer no matter how ridiculous an order or request (but that's the service industry).

Wages
----------
Barista: Minimum Wage ($11/hr)
Supervisor: $13/hr

My store was fun because of the people I worked with, however I have been in some horrible stores. – less
I loved Starbucks
Barista, Shift Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2014
Just the energy of the place and work culture are impressive, dynamical. I wish there was more income stability for the average employee.
overall excellent
Barista (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: fast working environment
Cons: no appreciation
you feel happy when there are lots of customers visiting your store and u try your best to work quicklyy and give them quick and best service possible
Productive & fun work environment with excellent benefits and good salary.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: salary & benefits
Cons: long hours, sometimes up to 10 days without a day off.
Overall, Starbucks is a wonderful place to work. The salary and benefits package is good. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with your regular customers.
fun
Barista (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABSeptember 28, 2014
good place to work if you like coffee as there is free coffee once a wee
Fun Job
Barista (Former Employee), Fort McMurrary, AlbertaSeptember 27, 2014
I worked at one of the busiest Starbucks and it was great.

We had a blast and worked hard. I learnt a lot working here.
Fast Paced Job with Benifits
Store Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long hours
Starbucks is an OK place to work the benefits are good the compensation is reasonable but the work life balance is not for me.
really great and fun environment to work in
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), calgary albertaSeptember 25, 2014
Very Very busy, high volume store
Alot of customer service
Pretty good
Co-workers are my second family
nothing is hard about the job i enjoy it
everything about this job is enjoyable , environment, the customers, and the co-workers
Fun, fast paced environment, excellent for part time employment
Store Manager (Current Employee), CalgarySeptember 23, 2014
Pros: benefits, stock options, free beverages while working, free pound of coffee each week
Cons: work/life ratio
A typical day at work involves arriving in the morning and having 30 minutes to get the store set up to open. The expectation is to be open 10 minutes before posted time and stay open 10 minutes after posted closing time. Mornings are busy with customers on their way into work. There is something to be learned every day, whether it's a new policy or – more... getting to know a new customer. Store managers are told to run their stores as if it's their own business, however, district managers visit on a weekly basis to coach and provide guidance. Store managers in each district work to help each other out with daily issues whenever possible. The most difficult part of the store managers position is staffing. It is difficult to find time off the floor to conduct interviews and do hiring/training. Work/life ratio for a store manager is also a stressful issue as managers are required to work as many hours as needed for their store's successful operation. If coverage cannot be found for a partner calling in sick, or not showing up, the store manager is required to come in to cover the shift. You are told not to log the extra hours in the computer and only get paid for 40 hours. No time off in lieu is given for extra time worked. The most enjoyable part of the position is the partners you get to work with, and the customers you get to know. – less
awful
sales, made drinks (Former Employee), Balzac, ABSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: disgraceful management
Im sure other starbucks are fine, the one i worked at was run by an ex drug addict, so it was ridiculous. was scheduled on days i had books off 3 weeks in advance more than 10 times, and when i didn't show up, i was written up, and when i took this issue to higher up people, nothing was done, do not get a job at starbucks.
Amazing Journey, one of the best experience as a Manager.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: health benefits, employee discounts
Cons: schedule hours, life balance
As part of this company i have been inspired in many ways, from Partners to customers, they make your every day an amazing and unique experience.
Fun, high-energy workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver B.C.September 20, 2014
Pros: free drinks, free food (sometimes), pick and choose hours, benefits
Cons: lots of work with little support (starbucks under-staffs their stores to make more money), pay is terrible with little chance for substantial raises
As a barista working in the afternoon, other than dealing with customers, your primary job is to clean everything. Either (almost) everything behind the counter, or the rest of the store (sweeping, moping, bathrooms, restocking).

It's fun working with people all the time and becoming a part of the community. Starbucks has helped me come out of my shell – more... and has played a big part in me becoming the outgoing person that I am. – less
Loved it
Barista (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: the regulars and my coworkers. the free drinks were also an upside
Cons: grumpy snappy customers
I learned so much from working there, i loved my manager and the people i was working with. they became my second family. If i didnt move out of B.C. I would have probably had many more years there, it was definately my favourite job i have ever had, sometimes customers got a little grouchy but once you get past that it was great. The regulars were – more... also part of the little family we had, i became friends with most of them and i loved it, – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more