Starbucks Employee Reviews

Poor training
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
I did the manager in training program, they tossed me into a high volume store, the training manager didn't help me at all, eventually the manager I learned beneath was fired and then they came for me. I was put on suspension with no reason why and then eventually told them I didn't want to work there.
Pros
business acumen training
Cons
pure raw constant insanity
Nope
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON22 January 2018
They let me go with no reasoning. There was no communication between supervisors and management. Supervisors would tell me how to do something and I would get yelled at by management for doing it wrong.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No security
busy, fun, task orientated workplace with good people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC21 January 2018
Fun place to work with great people. There’s always something to do and it’s always busy which keeps us as employees at work. The regular customers make the day great and it’s nice getting to know them.
Cons
Under Sceduled Floor
Fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  180 Queen Street West21 January 2018
Great work environment, and supportive management. I had an excellent time working with my team mates, and was always encouraged to do my best, and be the best version of myself.
Great and engaging job with hit-or-miss management
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2018
The problem being that the management styles change and vary so much from one location to the next that it's almost impossible to maintain the standards that Starbucks sets in place for them.
Amazing work environment.
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2018
After working at Starbucks for a year I have nothing but positive things to say about the company as a whole and the work environment. A fantastic place to work for students putting themselves through university.
Work is FUN!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2018
Working at Starbucks is hard work, but because of the culture and atmosphere, it's also a fun place to work. Excellent benefits, very flexible schedule and room to advance and/or relocate.
Active, fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2018
Great, fun work environment. Always engaging, but never boring. Interesting retail work with a supportive team atmosphere. Flexible hours, and reasonable pay.
High stress low reward
barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2018
cult like values, and no protection from customer harassment. Unreliable hours, small discount and a very small wage increase for much more work, with the promise of advancement that never comes. Expectation that you take ridiculous customer complaints seriously and encouraged to be over friendly and personable often resulting in vulnerable situations.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
waking up at 4 am
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 January 2018
- awesome first job
- valuable skills about food handling and cleanliness, day-to-day tasks, money handling, as well as great customer service
- fun place to work
Pros
Breaks, discounts, benefits

Want to know more about Starbucks?

Ask a question
Kind of Pretentious Culture
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 January 2018
A typical day at work would include serving customers coffee, preparing/warming foods, cleaning and facilitating various customer/management requests. I learned how to communicate effectively and work in a high-paced environment. It also helped me improve my multi-tasking. The management was good, though they did tend to schedule new employees on very odd shifts, and there was a clear power dynamic among who would get preferred shifts. The workplace culture was not the best, it was an incredibly competitive environment and not a lot of space was given for an individual to learn without being sarcastically reprimanded. The hardest part of the job was the negativity and stress levels of the coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of skills learned, like making various drinks and meeting/greeting customers, especially regular who you got to build a nice rapport with.
Fun workplace horrible manager
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2018
Really fun enviroment with coworkers however management could be better awesome benefit and scheduling they really try to make sure the work life balance is there
Barista
Front Cashier Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
Easy job, management is terrible.
Hours are terrible.
Provide practically no benefits due to cut hours. Good job for students, not for job security...
Pros
free drinks, free coffee
Cons
hours, schedule, m benefits, management
Mission et valeurs
Gérante de district (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2018
Travail inspirant et non routinier. le développement des employés est au centre des activités. Starbucks a du succès parce que les exigences sont très élevées. Très difficile de concillier travail et famille. L'esprit d'équipe est hors du commun.
Pros
1lb de café gratuite par semaine et breuvage gratuit sur les heures de travail.
Depends on your manager entirely
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2018
If you get a good manager then you will likely have a wonderful experience. If not or if management changes it can quickly turn very sour. Benefits change frequently, they were in the past wonderful but have taken a hit lately.
Cons
no solid hours or work schedule
Starbucks
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2018
Starbucks, is great, well organized and fair company. I enjoy the staff and scheduling is in advance. the work is beginner level and easy for ESL. Benefits and annual raises.
fun ... with the right people
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
Fun place if you like to talk to people ! Very fast paced and customer oriented environment. The learning curve can be a little bit challenging at first but after getting over it , you'll feel like you can do anything!
Pros
free coffee, discount on food
Cons
shifts can either be good or bad depending on who you are working with
Entreprise
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 January 2018
Bonne culture d'entreprise, aucune évolution de carrière dans la succursale ou j'ai travailler.
Fun and Social place to work
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 January 2018
The shifts are flexible which is great if you are a student or parent. If you want to move forward, there is little required, just hard work. It's difficult to make a living at this job, so if you are a sole breadwinner, this is not the place to work. It's GREAT as a second job though. The partner discounts and perks are wonderful - free pound of coffee and all the drinks you want during your shift (before, after and on break) and the benefits are really great. I had a great experience at this job until I wanted to move forward into management - since I was a single mom, I wanted to invest in this company, but couldn't make it work due to the low pay.
Pros
Free drinks, partner perks
Cons
low pay
Starbucks - good entry level.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2018
People are very excited to hear youve worked at Starbucks before.
The management is really poor most of the time and the hours are long.
Polo park is constantly bust and they expect a ton from you.
Good work experience in the end.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.