Starbucks Employee Reviews

Great place but not an easy job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 10, 2016
I'll come out with saying this is not an easy job. If you're considering working here, don't do it if you want an easy job. It is a mentally, emotionally and physically demanding job and you need to be ready for that. Having said that, I love working for Starbucks. The company treats you amazing, and you grow so close with your coworkers, it feels like family. It is a very rewarding job. I mean free coffee every week and free drinks? I'll take that every day. But great company to work for. Just be ready to work your butt off.
Pros
Free drinks, free coffee, amazing environment
Cons
Physically demanding, crabby customers
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 13, 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Great Environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, ABAugust 23, 2016
Starbucks has shown to me and all the other employees that they really care about each and every staff member. We are not called employees, but rather partners. We are all treated the same and with the same respect, whether you are a barista or a manager. No two days are the same, you have customer rushes at different times, you always have new drinks coming out and the customers every day are different, with the exception of our regulars. I have learned so many great skills, like working alongside people with a multitude of different personalities and work habits. I have enjoyed working with all of the people at my store, they make my day enjoyable.
Great First Job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
As a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks, it really teaches you about how to be a leader. You are leading the baristas throughout that day, motivating and coaching them to deliver the best service possible to your customers. It also teaches you how to remain calm in high volume periods. Furthermore, it helps develops your ability to be detail-oriented in regards to labor variances, inventory, and daily deposits. Overall, it is a great, well-rounded, starter job.
Pros
Flexible Job
Cons
Low salary
fun workplace
PART TIME BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 5, 2016
Nice working with good people in my store. Starbucks has good benefits. Hardest part of the job though is the closing schedule since you need to clean the store after closing. Most enjoyable part of my job is you get to meet a lot of people while working, talking to customers and knowing their favorite drinks. In Starbucks, we are not just making a good cup of coffee but mostly giving the best customer service to all our customer.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
shifting schedule
having fun making drinks for friendly people
Assistant Manager Sales (Former Employee) –  hinton,albJuly 11, 2016
I liked working for Starbucks, there was lots of friendly outgoing people. At the beginning it was great. My co-workers were on time and actually showed up for their shifts. The management was very friendly to me when I was showing I was hard working. The hardest part of the job was when I was sick, no one would cover me.That rose up to me missing a day,and almost being terminated.The manger was not very nice to me.I was treated different by co-workers.I eventually quit after 2 months of torture.
Pros
discount on items
Cons
long hours, being alone too long, terrible management
Worthwhile experience, improved organization and social skills.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 10, 2016
I've worked at Starbucks in both Vancouver and Whitby (Ontario). A typical day of work involved serving customers, making drinks, and cleaning and organizing the store. I've become better at small talk, and being meticulous and focused when it is required. The hardest part of my job was multitasking, the most enjoyable aspect was being able to work and interact with others simultaneously.
Pros
Free drinks, positive interactions
Cons
Low salary, monotonous
Productive and super fun. Great breaks and fun customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 3, 2016
A day at work was fun, fast paced when busy, and very productive. My co-workers were team players and loved working together, the only downfall of my experience was the management. The management was absolutely wretched, I have never been so ill-treated in my entire life. The hardest part of that job was probably the way we were treated as partners under our manager.
good starter job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 7, 2016
i worked for Starbucks for almost two years, and grew a lot in terms of customer service. it is a good job if you are looking for something to give you experience. I quickly made my way up to a Supervisor position. the only thing that turned me off about this job was the company itself. Starbucks ( as much as they preach partnership and such) is not good to their employees. they make changes without notifying us and make us deal with the back lash. They make horrendous rules that are not necessary for the survival of the company yet make their employees do them just for the sake of credibility
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad company
Great Managers
Barista and shift supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
I have had nothing but a good time at this job. They have always been so professional but at the same time are like family. We were always so busy with a faced paced volume of customers due to the building we work in and all the people who have enjoyed the service that they keep coming back. The store I was at is award winning in service.
Pros
Free drinks while you work
Cons
Sometimes you have difficult customers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
Fun place to work and gain person connections
Barista (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 26, 2016
Working for Starbucks is such a great experience. As a barista you do have a long list of responsibilities that need to be learnt and maintained. Starbucks hire people with the same personality so it is easy to make friends with co-workers and even customers. At times customers can become extremely disrespectful to you and as a barista it is your responsibility to "make it right", which is probably the worst part about working at Starbucks. Despite what may happen, top managers and managers will always protect their employees.
learn quick
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 15, 2016
there are 3 main responsibilities for a barista making drinks, supporting customers, or being on the register. Most often during a shift people get to alternate jobs so that it isn't a long day on one thing. Managers are very flexible with scheduling and appreciating people who are in school or work a second job like myself.
Pros
free beverages and discount on food items
Cons
Had potential to be an enjoyable workplace IF managing staff was better
Barista (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Working at Starbucks seems like it would be a fun job, however, it was extremely fast-paced and required multitasking skills and the ability to work under stress. The only enjoyable aspect of the job was that I made some genuine friends, and most of my coworkers made the shift bearable. Management was a nightmare, and sometimes the floor would be improperly staffed, causing many problems and frustration among the entire team. The job puts a priority on how sociable an employee is and disregards how well the employee works.
Pros
30% discount on food, drinks and merchandise as well as free drinks during your breaks.
Cons
stressful work conditions, long hours sometimes without properly scheduled breaks, juggling multiple responsibilities sometimes without the help of coworkers, minimal people working at a time
Good company to work for.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 30, 2016
It is a great option for starting professionals.
You get a great deal on Customer service, team work and getting sense of urgency.
I wish, not only them, but all coffee shops would improve the wage increase rate, and increase the wage cap. It would make employees feel valued and stay for longer. It is very sad to see good employees leaving for another job because they don't earn enough.
Pros
Friendly, enjoyable
Cons
high employee rotation. long term employees are mostly undervalued.
Fun environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2016
Learned how to make drinks, and prepare food for customers to eat. Also learned communication skills among coworkers and customers as well. A typical day begins to become quite mundane as the routine is simple and not challenging. The hardest part of the job was simply to remember all the regular customers by name and their basic background because customer care is heavily encouraged.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Hours given are random and not consistent
Fast paced, enjoyable atmosphere with long lasting customer connections
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 29, 2016
I learned a lot from working for Starbucks. It accustomed me to a great deal of responsibility as I was a shift supervisor. Fast paced, energetic environment that encouraged customer connections and a positive outlook on life. Great standards, great expectations and a high level of leadership skills. Granted me the ability to take initiative, delegate properly.
Pros
Free drinks, long lasting customer connections
Productive and Fun Workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONJune 28, 2016
I learned to work effectively as a part of a team in a high-stress, results-oriented environment. My co-workers essentially became my second family away from home. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied customers and the most enjoyable part of the job was making those unsatisfied customers happy by giving them the starbucks experience.
A great job while in university, meet the best people Toronto
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
Starbucks company is build on such a great management structure everything is laid out. When paired up with the store that suits you , coming to work is like hanging out with friends! When you need a shift to be cover you can reach out to other partners as well, this makes it ideal for students that are still in school.
Pros
great team
Productive and fun work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 7, 2016
I loved the staff and the ambiance at work, however I did not like the new manager that was a lot more strict and bossy than the previous one we had... He did not managed well the store and was not very welcoming. I still learned a lot from working there, they have a great clientele and the shifts were very variable which made the job different every day.
Pros
Easy to switch/give away/take shifts
Cons
Salary