Starbucks Employee Reviews

An enjoyable and enriching experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
the typical day working at starbucks was, in one word, fun! i learned quite a lot of things such as; time management and leadership. The management were amazing and my co-workers were some of nicest people i've ever met. The hardest part about the job was that it was extremely hard to maintain while still being in school, if i could have done both i would. in general though, Starbucks was an amazing experience for me and would surely be the same for anyone else!
Pros
great people, fun workplace, nice pace, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no flexibility when it came to hours
Great Benefit
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2016
Have been working for more than 3 years now.
Starbucks has awesome benefit plans and stock plans for baristas and consider all employees valuable partners.
Feel as though they would protect partners in any situations but the quality of customer service provided is tiresome to employees.
Customers are accustomed to 'just say yes' and 'make it right' so even when they arbitrarily want everything we have to say yes and provide everything.
I think all the partners deserve to get a lot more raise
Pros
Free beverages and great benefits
Cons
quality of customers
Great at first
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 October 2016
Loved it at first, then new management came along. Still a great job with many benefits such as free beverages and pounds of coffee. It's great to see our regulars come in everyday. Type of place with lots of turnover and out of a staff of around 20 only 3 have been there since I started a year ago. Working nights is extremely easy and laid back but the mornings are complete opposite. It becomes extremely repetitive, maybe it's seeing the same customers everyday or making the same drinks a 100 times a day but overall it's not a bad job.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere, awesome customers.
Cons
No hours, poor management, understaffed in busy situations.
Productive, results driven company with a focus on teamwork
Shift Supervisor, Leader of Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2016
The typical shift supervisor ALWAYS has too much on their plate. Those who make lists and lists for their lists. A major focus on accountability and time management. This is definately a place for those who thrive in faced paced, high stress environment. Many long-lasting connections made through this job, both personal and professional. Schedule flexibility is a MUST! Early mornings, late nights!
Pros
Benefits, Stocks in Company Gifted to Partners, Opportunities for development
Cons
late and early hours, often short staffed
Its not just coffee
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
As a Barista - the beginning position at Starbucks you are taught how to make all their great drinks. You are also taught the history of the company and how they got to where they are today. Coffee tasting is encouraged, if you can drink coffee.

Managers are trained well but giving more responsibility that is occasionally manageable. District managers are the coaches for Store Managers, and store managers are coaches to their subordinates.

This was a very fun job, and the people were great to work with!
Pros
1LB of coffee free every week, 30% of anything as an employee, benefits to those who work 20 hours/wk.
Calling all coffee lovers, this is your place!
Barista- Customer Service Lead/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 September 2016
Where can I begin, I've been with Starbucks 3.5years now and It truly is an incredible company to work for. You can be as flexible as you want or need with your schedule and your manager will still accommodate your needs and wishes. There is a lot to love here, free drinks on every break and a 30-40% discount on any item as well, not to mention weekly mark outs of coffee, teas etc.

I work at a drive through and on most days (especially during the school year) it is very busy and we have lots of tasks to complete. This can be the hardest part about the jobs because of how overwhelming it can seem but if you just keep calm you're fine!

Your customers will be the best and worst part of your day, just when you think one has ruined your day you turn around and another makes it back for you, they are the reason Starbucks is a thing!

Can we talk benefits? OMG they are amazing!! You only have to work 20hrs a week and you get full benefits, Starbucks believes pure heartedly in home and work life balance.

All in all, it's a wonderful company to work for!
Pros
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS, Free coffee, amazing customers
Cons
High Stress
Great Workplace but not for everyone
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2016
The job is very fast-paced and very stressful. I personally didn't get along with many of my coworkers, but that's not to say that another person wouldn't strive there. I learned very quickly how to think on my feet and how to connect with a customer while also providing fast and exceptional service.
Pros
Free drinks before, during, and after shift. Lots of Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low wages for amount of work done
Good Luck...Be Weary...ASK Questions before taking the job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 May 2016
Came in from the outside. This is a very tough transition!

Was hired for one area, but they moved sent me to a different area to train. $7-$9 per day parking that I had not anticipated! Plus a good 45 min drive away!
Negotiated to get my benefits from day 1...took me almost 2 months of calls and follow up to get it done. No help from anyone.

The training manager I had was a NIGHTMARE! Total ego maniac and a bully! Unreal. The Starbucks "Nurture and Inspire" had no place in my experience.
This was the worst employment experience of my career.

Will say...the partners are/were amazing! Great group of dedicated people who were alot of fun.

Make sure to ask all your questions up front. Clarify!
Pros
drinks, the customers
Cons
Zero work life balance...don't do it if your a parent with young kids
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2016
Starbucks is honestly one of the best part-time jobs one could have. Starbucks really cherishes their employees for one thing all employees are referred to as partners. Partners are eligible for benefits after averaging 20 hours weekly, weekly mark-outs, free drinks during breaks, and the point system is adjusted for partners. If you're interested in growing with the company there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The job culture is quite relaxed however it can become stressful keeping up with all the modifications one has for their drinks. Starbucks trumps all other part time service jobs I have had in the past.
Pros
free drinks on breaks, mark outs, benefits, tips
Cons
can be overwhelming at times
Great student job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ile-Perrot, QC10 January 2017
Over the four years I have worked at starbucks, I can say that I've enjoyed working with 95% of the staff and customers.My typical day of work consists of serving customers and the day/closing cleaning tasks.
Pros
Decent breaks, great benefits such as dental, health education and stock plans, great coworkers, amazing regular customers
Strange cult like corporate culture
put upon (Current Employee) –  5140 Yonge Street2 May 2016
I work in the corporate office in Toronto and have been here about 3 years now. Everything is in a hurry, busy, no time for lunch, 40 hour week and the culture is strange. It's very cult-like. I learned a lot about coffee and curiously, nearly every meeting is prefaced by a coffee tasting. After 3 years, I've tasted every single coffee dozens of times - what more can one learn???? But they are ongoing. The only thing this company is missing is a a corporate song. Folks are nice, but unless you completely mask your personality, be prepared to do endless hours of overtime, volunteer work, and watching your back - this is not the company for you!

The benefit package changed about 2 years ago after the new president came on board and laid off hundreds. Now it is pathetic.
Pros
Free pound of coffee weekly
Cons
long hours, average salary, poor benefits, untrustworthy management and they pay the non-management staff hourly!
Good job
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
The company is great to work for and the people you get to work with are also amazing. Pay is fair and the benefits and coverage are also very good. Though company is very sales orientated despite saying they aren't.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Demanding Management
Great benefits and culture.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2017
I loved working for Starbucks and would say that it was my favorite job so far. Their attractive compensation and benefit structure along with the flexibility in their hours make it optimal for a student or someone with other commitments.
Great First Job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2016
As a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks, it really teaches you about how to be a leader. You are leading the baristas throughout that day, motivating and coaching them to deliver the best service possible to your customers. It also teaches you how to remain calm in high volume periods. Furthermore, it helps develops your ability to be detail-oriented in regards to labor variances, inventory, and daily deposits. Overall, it is a great, well-rounded, starter job.
Pros
Flexible Job
Cons
Low salary
fun place to work

great customer connects

opportunity for advancement

tuition reimbursement

medical and dental
Enjoyable staff members and innovative learning.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 May 2016
A typical day at work serving coffees to drinks as we offer food to match with their beverage to maximize the taste, I've learned how to communicate with individuals better and to create moments of connection with our guests to make them feel welcomed. Management is constantly changing, in a span of 10 months, i have had 3 new managers but overall due to the high level of stress in the store, the culture of forever changing. My Co-workers is the only reason why I always look forward to work, the way they make the job enjoyable, easy and fun makes the workplace happy. The hardest part of the job is staying mentally stable due to the high turnover rates, I myself is barista trainer and I've met many colleagues come and go due to management. The most enjoyable part is our norm, with Starbucks' high quality standards, I am privileged to work for the company.
Pros
Benefits such as tuition reimbursements and dental insurance coverage
Cons
Short hours (4-5 per day).
Its good for while in school
Barista (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
Depends on the manager you get fantastic job with a good one can kinda suck with a bad one.

Benefits are unreal, if you are in university/college its a no brainer to work here

coworkers are ok

you might get yelled at
Pros
Benefits, usually flexible hours
Cons
People.
fun workplace
PART TIME BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2016
Nice working with good people in my store. Starbucks has good benefits. Hardest part of the job though is the closing schedule since you need to clean the store after closing. Most enjoyable part of my job is you get to meet a lot of people while working, talking to customers and knowing their favorite drinks. In Starbucks, we are not just making a good cup of coffee but mostly giving the best customer service to all our customer.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
shifting schedule
Fun and Educational Work Experience
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2016
Starbucks is an exceptional company to be a part of the team at. There was always something new to learn, be it coffee knowledge or a new way to do a task you thought you knew inside and out. There is always room for growth. Most of the time your coworkers are superb and fun, like-minded people to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping a level head and a cool mind when things may not always go according to plan, the calmer you remain, the easier it is to get through. The most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction. Getting to know your clientele and feeling like an important part of their day is so rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun work team
Cons
Hard to move past certain management points
Fun and fast-paced workplace with great benefits
Barista (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 October 2016
-Fun and fast-paced workplace with great benefits
-Management is very approachable and willing to coach
-Great opportunity for advancement