Starbucks Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 November 2017
In my work place, everyone is very friendly so the atmosphere in the workplace is very good.
And In here, I learned how to solve the problems that happened while working.
Can be stressful at times
Barista (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 November 2017
I worked for starbucks for 2 and a half years, I was very fortunate to work with a team that was basically family to me. The reason I left is because of the crazy high standards the company has and how stressful the work environment can be.
Great for what it is - a low paying, flexible job
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 November 2017
I worked here while I was going to school, and it was perfect. The flexibility of hours meant I could work full time while going to university full time. The Starbucks corporate culture is a bit much though, if you haven't drunk the koolaid. Management has a high turnover rate, which causes chaos at the store level.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor management
Employees get very well trained
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2017
The training for this company was really great I definitely learned a lot there. The pay was good for what it was and they had very flexible hours. The people were great and it had a comfortable work environment
Pros
Free coffee before and after shifts
Cons
Extensive closing duties
Fun place to work
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 November 2017
Starbucks was an unbelievable experience for me. English isn't my first language and I always had so much encouragement from my colleagues. I learned a lot, and I'll always be thankful for the time I worked there. Management was friendly and open to talk, the relationship with colleagues and clients was always good and fun.
Pros
Free Drinks, Flexible hours
Cons
Not always you get the hours you need/expect.
Fun Workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2017
Amazing workplace to be in if you love people and enjoy a fast paced environment. The best part of working at Starbucks is getting to know the customers and providing them with exceptional service.
Pros
Free Beverages when working
Fun and supportive work place
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC13 November 2017
Starting the day with preparing the store setup and coffee brewing, getting reading to help the customers to start their days with a nice cup of coffee.

While serving customers takes out the main portion of the work time, there are opportunities for self-development and growth. Co-workers at Starbucks are generally really warm and welcoming, and the benefits are decent. Tips, however, are less than what baristas at competitors get.
Pros
Free coffee at work
Cons
low tips
great place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2017
Starbucks has a strong reputation in coffee industry ,I was able to learn many thinks from Starbucks. Was a fun place to work with great management team,
Pros
disounts food and free drinks
Cons
drive thru
Fantastic Company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2017
Typical day is over 8 hours.
Management focuses on inspiring and nurturing the human spirit of both employees and customers.
Hardest part of the job is maintaining a work/life balance.
friendly environment, healthy amount of pressure
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
An excellent entry-level job with lots of opportunity for growth. Perfect for students, parents, part-time and full-time employment. Very flexible hours which allowed me to pursue my goals throughout the years such as going to school, travelling, and working a separate part-time job. Guidance and encouragement from coworkers and managers helped me grow as a person and strengthen many practical and interpersonal skills such as leadership and customer service.
On the other hand, pressure was sometimes overwhelming, goals were unrealistic, and the job can be very stressful, so it's not for everyone. The experience, mood, expectations, and workplace culture can change drastically depending on the staff at the time. Communication and a positive attitude is absolutely essential to this job.
Pros
partner discount, opportunity for growth, friendships, leadership
Cons
stressful, unrealistic expectations
it was great well it lasted.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2017
When I started with Starbucks 3+ years ago everything was great I fell in love with everything and was promoted to a supervisor. During my time in my new role with the company, I found out how bureaucratic and cryptic upper management people are often bullied until they leave the company with someone doesn't like them. I also find that the company is willing to set aside core values with money comes into play. If profit or any extra work on their part comes into play; good luck.

aside from that, they offer amazing benefits on so many different levels making this job hard to leave.
Pros
free drinks, benefits, wage increases
Cons
bureaucratic, cryptic, heavy performance management
My Greatest Joy
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  5067 Dixie Road11 November 2017
This had to be one of the most enjoyable places I've ever worked. I loved the fast pace environment. I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and energy that came in with everyday. I was happy being a team player.
Eh
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2017
Amazing benefits but awful wages. Busy locations are incredably labour intensive. Coworkers that stay on the job past the first month are rare, high turn over.
Very relaxed professional environment to work in
Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2017
I enjoyed my time working within this company. Many oppurtunities to learn above and beyond what is expected, as well as room to grow within the company in regards to gaining a new role.
fun fast paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 November 2017
Starbucks was one of the most fun jobs I ever had. I have heard this said so many times... and I am now someone who can say this. I learned how to deliver legendary customer service, one of the best take aways from the experience. I learned people management, how to inspire and motivate people to do their best for the customer, themselves, and the company. Starbucks provides an inclusive culture built on essential principals that can be applied in all areas of life. The hardest part of the job is when you have to move stores or see great people move on. The best part of the job is the relationships buily along the way.
benefits
Cons
stress
great learning experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC9 November 2017
Starbucks is amazing opportunity to get into the work force. They have great management and provide some some the best training in the industry. I started off as a barista and ended up as a shift supervisor. I would return to working at Starbucks in heart beat
Pros
free drinks
Cons
grumpy customers
Great culture
Barista & Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
Starbucks is a wonderful company to get involved with!
Great work life balance with flexible schedules. The benefits are also very good, however there is a minimum amount of hours you have to work to be eligible.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
high turnover
A fun place with good people and even better benefits.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
Working at Starbucks was amazing. I had a wonderful management team at my location, and I got on well with all my fellow baristas. It's a wonderful place to work, because, even though it's a massive overload when you start working there what with all you need to learn immediately, you get into the hang of things within the first two weeks, and then there's just a comforting routine to follow.

The hardest part of the job would actually arguably be the best part of it. You can get some pretty intense rushes, particularly at 8 AM, and then again around noon. But those rushes fly by like magic, and if you can get into a rhythm, you'll find it less stressful, and actually sort of fun.
Pros
Great environment, fun work, great benefits
Cons
Big rushes, occasionally stressful, lots of spilled milk
Great place for a first job and an experienced manager!
Barista - Store Manager - MCM (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2017
Starbucks is dedicated to training it's employee's properly in order to make the company standardized across it's hundreds of locations. It shows when they train you as it takes months to become comfortable with the job. The customers are a large scale of different kinds of people so it was never boring.
Pros
Coffee, Salary, Advancement
Cons
Long hours, Management Communication
The culture is great
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 November 2017
The company is great to work for for the most part. They provide a flexible schedule when needed, and benefits for most employees. The people that work in the stores are all usually very tolerant people
Pros
free drinks on shift, benefits
Cons
not enough workers in the stores to create customer satisfaction