Starbucks Employee Reviews

turning ordinary to extraordinary.
Barista (Former Employee) –  medical city18 February 2017
Starbucks has been one of those companies that completely fascinates me. From everything written about them, they are run a lot different than most companies one reads about. their commitment to their customers, employees, and communities in which they reside is really unparalleled in the business world and I am constantly wondering how they make it work.
Pros
free lunches
Amazing company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  toronto canada17 February 2017
Working for Starbucks challenged me in ways I had never been challenged. I was able to develop others constantly in my role and that brings me much joy!
Pros
great benefits
Great Work Environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
Workplace culture is great. Management is usually good. Learn great customer service skills.The hardest part of the job is the difficulty of some customers but for the most part people are great. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships you build with your partners and customers.
Was a great place to work and advance in the company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Crazy busy days always just because of location!
had many managerial tasks to perform and guide my baristas and run my floor with breaks and deployment!
I enjoyed the very fast paced environment and the people were great to work with. Very diverse team!
Pros
benefits were great! the ability to move up within the company
Awesome coffee and fun professional people to work for and with
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2017
Amazing work environment and very friendly people. Managers are fun to work with and are always understanding with employees. Training program is awesome
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Free coffee
Horrible all around
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 February 2017
I worked for Starbucks in my 20s and the hours were awful and stressful, they paid me minimum wage with a master's degree, they never gave me the benefits they agreed to give, and there was no work life balance because all I was doing was working for Starbucks. Not to mention customers have high expectations of Starbucks products so they are rude, yell, scream on occasion and have such high expectations you'll injure yourself trying to please their clientele. If you make mistakes, your manager will fire you. Not to mention the bosses were stressful to handle because they also yell.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Too many. All around bad.
Fun place to learn a grow customer relations
Barista (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 February 2017
I enjoy how people oriented this job is. I am usually given opportunities to exercise my social abilities and ensuring our customers are 100 % satisfied. The training is very thorough, and I enjoy training new baristas a lot. Flexible hours, and a family like environment among my coworkers.
fun and sociable workplace for college student
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 February 2017
great job to meet new friends and people but the do low pay and less shift. the benefit packs are great so yeah
sometimes it is kinda tired because you have to go home late and kinda boring if there r no customers
Pros
free drink, benefit
Cons
low paid, less shift, go home late
Perfect job for a university student
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2017
This job will give you the necessary people skills to succeed in life. It is also a fun place to work because it attracts other people in the 18-25 age group. Customers you interact with are also pretty awesome.
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Very early mornings
Fun and free coffee
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC12 February 2017
Love working for Starbucks. Good people, fun, benefits. Customers are mostly good. Baristas know alot about coffee I only wish more customers would ask questions before they order.
Stabuck, the King of Drinks
Barista (Former Employee) –  Trinity Bellwoods Park12 February 2017
Starbucks had an above minimum wage salary, which made me feel worth it. They also gave out a pound of coffee or a package of tea to their employees once a week. We built up quite the stockpile.
Pros
coffee
Cons
no con
Mixed Reviews
Barista (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 February 2017
The location of the Starbucks I worked at was consistently busy. Being a full time student, the training process took about six months to complete, and over 40+ hours of work a week. I had to end up resigning.
Cons
Long hours.
High stress, high demand, great staff
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2017
I worked at one of the busiest Starbucks' in Ottawa, where in a given half hour during peak hours, in excess of 60-80 customers served would be customary. As such, when you are responsible for making all of their drinks, the job is stressful. The job has further taught me how to cope with stress and it is for it that I may mostly attribute my ability to multi-task to the extent that I now may. Under such conditions, working in close proximity to the other staff members, you grow close to the other employees and I can consider most of them good friends to me now. The best part of the job is working with such amazing people and the probability of encountering so many great people in a given day.
Pros
free coffee and beans
Cons
stressful
Fun, efficient, fast-pace work environment.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
A typical day at work would be super fun because you met so many new people everyday and made relationships with the "regulars."
Always on your feet
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2017
There's always something to do or someone to interact with here, making drinks is fun and so is talking with the regular customers you come to know in the mall
Safeway Canada
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB9 February 2017
Safeway is a decent employer to work for, the thing I liked best about working there was the weekly pay direct deposited. I found that a lot of the stores differ based on store management, leading in inconsistency and confusion sometimes.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Better wages
Fast Paced and Fun
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 February 2017
Its a great company to work for....fast paced so shifts go by quickly with a great opportunity to get to know not only co workers but also frequent customers.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Better wages
Flat passive aggressive cult organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
You need to come up through the stores to be successful at Starbucks, period. Processes are non-existent, and instead of giving, the company takes away - i.e. because Vancouver does not recognize Boxing Day, and Toronto does, and Vancouver recognizes Civic Holiday and in toronto it's not a stat, they have taken Boxing Day away from Vancouver as a holiday and August civic holiday for Ontario. Benefits are great if you are a barista, but as a manager in the office, not competitive. you must be passionate about coffee and the values, otherwise you will get called out. You cannot be authentic unless Starbucks values are your default values. Not an easy organization to maneuver, and the organization has no interest in fixing it, but now they admit it. Not an easy place to come in externally and unless you assimilate, you will not be successful - the organization admits they have high turnover in external hires. Start in stores, work up, and you will be successful at Starbucks.
Pros
Coffee tastings, bean stock, location
Cons
Senior leadership, tough to be successful as an external hire
Fun work place with great co-workers
Barista (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 February 2017
This job has provided me with extensive customer service experience as well as experience dealing with co-workers I have not gotten along with and also co-workers who will be life long friends. The job was extremely stressful at times, being a busy environment but that is part of what made time fly by.
Pros
Great coffee and free beverages
Cons
long hours, difficult shifts, unhappy customers
Fun and Productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
Very fun and natural work environment. Great staff hires and flexibility. Always face-paces and keeps you busy. Excellent customer service throughout entire company. Very rewards regular customers