Starbucks

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Overall Great Experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaJuly 25, 2015
Out of all my previous jobs, Starbucks has been the best.
I have learnt about how to manage a team, make delicious beverages and interact genuinely with customers in a busy environment. As a supervisor I was given the responsibility to coach each of the partners on connecting with customers, promoting in store products and feeling to confident with the provided equipment.
Overall good job.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of benefits, working with people all day, good break times, better then usual pay.
Cons: A "mean-girl" environment, lots of restrictions about uniform, management wasn't the best.
My review on the company is sort of biased. I've loved the idea of working at Starbucks since I was 12-13. Of course, being that age, I couldn't necessarily work there. When I got a call back when I turned 16 I was honestly thrilled. Our manager at the time Vik, was great. He wrote me a personal development plan so the day I turned 18 if I was still with the company I would be shift manager or assistant manager. We currently have a new manager Kamilah and she isn't the most professional. She mostly just sits in the back room. So I'm leaving, which makes me sad but it is what it is. At the end of the day, Starbucks is a great company, but the management just isn't for me. Now it is understandable that you aren't going to always love your boss, but it became a very cliquey workplace and extremely unprofessional. I love the majority of my co-workers and it's a fun place to work. I just need to branch out.
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2015
Good place to work if you're a student as it is very flexible. Work with other students as well so it has a very easy going atmosphere.
fast paced
Barista (Former Employee), prince georgeJuly 17, 2015
very fast passed job. the management at my specific work location was quite unorganized. i felt there was a lot of responsibility for very little pay or appreciation.
Fun,Advancement opportunities,
Manger of Starbucks (Former Employee), Safeway in Bonnie Doon MallJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Awesome staff
I loved working for Starbucks. I advanced in the company quickly. I enjoyed the atmosphere. You learned a lot of skills. Ordering inventory, time management.
fun place to work
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2015
Pros: free drinks, discounts
Cons: not enough hours
work with great people we all get along, we all love to be around each other, we always ask each other for help when needed. The manager is a great guy he is always happy.
Good for students
Barista (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 13, 2015
Pros: The partners & customers
It was an experience non the less.
Flexible schedules, weekly mark outs,high stress, Management pushes sales constantly, lots of stepping on toes so to speak.
Hard work, fund and fast paced
Barista Trainer (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, discounts, health/dental.
Cons: Sporadic hours, can be very hard work for little pay.
Generally fun people to work with, management is generally pretty good as well. Lots of opportunities to engage and talk with clients. Pretty much unlimited free coffee/beverages is a plus, as well as sampling new food items is delicious! Good opportunities to learn for those who want to advance within the work place. Pay is minimum wage though, but expected considering its retail. However, there is very good health/dental plan and other perks.
In charge of two or more staff (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, abJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Benefits, stocks, free products
Cons: Lots of standing
A typical day is ensuring product is stocked, perfect beverages are made and serving awesome customers. I learned a lot from this job in the form of dealing with customers. Even if it is something small just apologize and come up with a solution. They just want to know that you are listening and you truly want to make it right and make them happy. The management is awesome. They make sure that they tell you when you are doing a good job and if there are corrections that need to be made they will sit down with you and talk to you like you are a human being. The co-workers are the best! You are like a small family. You care so much for each other and watch out for each other. The hardest part is making every customer happy because there are just some people that are having a bad day that you just can't make happy but you do your best and that is all that you can do. I enjoyed getting to know a bunch of people on a personal level, co-workers and customers combined. It is nice when you are able to have that connection with people.
Great company but with changing management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 8, 2015
Starbucks was really great to work to work in the years I was there. You meet very different people (coworkers and customers) and that can be very good or very challenging since everybody has different personalities. As any restaurant, it can get very busy and have times where there aren't many customers which gives you time to catch p on cleaning/management duties. The most enjoyable part of working at Starbucks to me was connecting with the customers and meeting new people.
Good part time employment
part-time Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJuly 6, 2015
I loved working with all the people that i did, always had someone to talk to if i was going through struggles worked related or not. I always felt wanted and needed there, and got an decent amount of hours. Pay could have been increased for the amount of work expected, and advancement was offered but took months to even begin.
It was fine.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 6, 2015
It was fine. Really just okay. They expect to much of their management team. The team was good. but the higher up you get the more crazy it all seems
Excellent benefits and training
Store Manager (Current Employee), Richmond HillJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Bonuses
Cons: Management restrictions and expectations
Excellent benefits : Health, dental, vision options. Good salary and bonuses at management level.
Good customer service training and expectations.
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, 30% discount, great people (customers and co-workers)
Cons: Because of the high traffic of customers, manager sometimes underschedules
Great fun place to work and meet new people. More than just co-workers. Only downside was my manager made it tough on the whole store with the scheduling, so it was time to move on. Not all Starbucks are the same.
Too many low-qualified managers!
Supervisor (Former Employee), College Park, MDJuly 3, 2015
I worked at Starbucks during my undergraduate years. The work environment was often hectic not due to the high volume of customers that is peculiar to cafes, but because the majority of the workers were either young college students who lacked professionalism and poor supervisory practices that led to poor store management.
The most enjoyable/easiest aspect of the job is the unvarying, formulaic style of the job requirements regardless of the position. Once prompts, recipes and tasks are memorized, it is difficult not to perform well.
The least favorable aspect of the job was the importance of sales. As a Starbucks barista, one is required to promote the newest beverages and products. In the most recent years, Starbucks has relied heavily on their non-coffee sales. Not only are baristas required to encourage customers to buy; baristas have personal sales quotes for non-beverage sales, which I find absurd, given that Starbucks is a coffee house, not a general store.
fun, interactive and busy place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
Pros: benefits for even par time em ployees
Cons: i'm always over caffeinated!
Shifts starting at 5am Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays.
opening the store by setting up displays and merchandise, stocking food display cases and calibrating espresso machines.
As management, I would be responsible for counting all safes/tills, preparing and taking deposits to bank, receiving change orders, and managing inventory.

Management is great! We work as a cohesive team.
Co-workers are very hard working, love the job and are very customer driven.

Hardest part of the job is being on top of your toes in regards to proper deployment and delegating to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently during busy times.

Most enjoyable part of my day is getting to interact with our regular customers, and meeting new people.
Avoid at all costs
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Squamish, BCJune 29, 2015
Pros: some cool coworkers
Cons: some two-faced, backstabbing, sabotaging, immature, condescending, arguementative, ego-centric coworkers
There were some amazing coworkers, and others that were the worst people I have ever worked with in my entire life. It is horribly managed, tonnes of miscommunication, and made me stop being a customer after seeing how much weight employees put on from the over-sugary drinks and I would rather promote health than diabetes. Seen similar issues at other various locations, so there is something systematic in the Starbucks world that creates hostilities in some. Possibly in any job, but noticing it more in food industry, but Bucks seems to have it the worst so far. Must be connected to some sort of sense of entitlement or stuck-up factor in starbucks employees that other coffee places dont have as delusional workers. Ah, there it is, they should never have called them "partners" when they havent earned that title, as much as the idea and intention behind it was to be positive.
Fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCJune 27, 2015
Pros: Free coffee!
Cons: Managment
Working there was fun. I found that the management wasn't the best, but there was always something to do and always room for improvement. The pay was pretty decent and there was always advancement in your position.
Close to home
Barista/Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 27, 2015
Pros: Free coffee
Cons: Always smelling like coffee
Close to home, could walk there, and get my daily exercise in. I love coffee so it was the perfect type of job. Closed early enough for me to take transit home at night.
Fun, fast-paced environment to work in
Barista, Barista Trainer, and Cashier (Current Employee), North Vancouver, BCJune 25, 2015
Pros: Free drinks on-shift and a 30% discount on all food items or if you aren't on-shift
Cons: Lack of communication between management and employees
A typical day at Starbucks includes: cleaning, putting sticker dates on items in order to note their expiration dates, setting up the food case and putting items on display for customers, warming up food items for customers, recommending new drinks or food items to customers, handling cash transactions, recommending merchandise or coffee beans for customers to purchase, reporting to supervisors or management, answering phone calls, preparing handcrafted drinks, and connecting with customers from the second they step in the door until the second they leave the store.

The manager is very friendly – more... and approachable.

My co-workers are fantastic people all around. Some workers are a bit faster than others which is really beneficial during large rushes of customers.

The hardest part of my job is trying not to visibly stress out. It's a very fast-paced job, and sometimes it is very hard not to take things personally if there is a customer complaint. In no way do I get defensive, but I tend to "let things get to me". I offer the best solution to customers, which may include a future store credit for a free drink, or offering to remake his/her drink if I accidentally didn't make it correctly or to his/her standards. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more