Starbucks
4,767 reviews

Starbucks Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A supportive environment that enables successful growth within the company.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 24, 2015
Fast paced environment with customers' needs prioritized. As shift supervisor, was able to build time management skills. Lots of smiles!
A place too feel comfortable with everything.
Never had experienced almost worked at Starbucks (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: kind people
Cons: slow
It looks like a caring place & very friendly people
i go there all the time, maybe once a week & the people would serve my drinks & the ones on the cashier are respectful, kind, & helpful and i appreciate it very much. It looks like its really hard to make the drinks, especially ALL the drinks & having too learn how to make them but it also seems fun at the same time!
Fun Workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton,AlbertaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: sometimes very busy time of the day
I really Like to Work at Starbucks. I like the Job Culture and everything. I like to Make Coffee and Drinks. The thing that i like the most are the Seasonal drinks I really love to make them. and the special offers for the customer to make them, happy and give them free drinks after certain procedure i Just like these little little things Overall I just want to say I really enjoy working in Starbucks. The
Enjoyable shifts in a fun atmosphere.
Assistant Manager/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, free coffee
Cons: gossip between other employees.
I enjoyed working at Starbucks and build great relationships with the customers and employees. My favorite parts of working there was the freedom to take charge and to get things done, while creating those special relationships with regular and new customers.
The hardest I've ever worked!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: the people, the coffee, the medical benefits
Cons: the low pay, the irregular hours, the understaffing, the customers
Almost nothing about this job was rewarding. I worked at 5am somedays, until 2am other days... often within the same week. I almost never got a saturday or sunday off. I never got 40 hours a week. And although I was moving up, just as I was asking for a promotion to Assistant Manager Starbucks made a new policy that eliminated half of the positions nation wide. They also began understaffing more, and more, and more.

The only good aspects were the people I worked with and the coffee.
ok
Barista (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: hard ony our feet/ back
Pay for the amount of work is required isn't fair, lots of moving up and down and cleaning. But people are happy and most costumers are nice to be around.
Lots of fun if you don't mind being below the poverty line
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton ABJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free coffee, build a great social network, flexible hours
Cons: low wages for hard work
Like any retail job, a career at Starbucks starts with the thought of "hey, this isn't actually that bad". Depending what cafe you work in, you can float on that cloud of caffeine-induced illusion for anywhere up to a year. Unfortunately for most, disillusionment comes the minute a customer calls your manager to complain because you put twelve ice cubes in his drink instead of eight, like he asked. For me, that minute was on my first day. Since then, I endured four years of burns, verbal abuse, and pointless policy changes, but I stayed. The truth is, the good customers outnumber the bad ones, your co-workers become your second family, and most importantly, you get A LOT of free coffee. You also learn a lot of valuable skills, like how many frozen bananas it takes to break a blender and recognizing that look in someone's eye when they're about to take the lid off their hot beverage and throw it at you because you forgot to give them their croissant. Bodily harm aside, I'd rate my experience more on the positive side of things, but only because I'm still a student and I don't have to support myself on such a small wage.
So stressful place to work
Barista (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: good employee discuont
Cons: long hours and endless customers
Not pay well but have great employee discount and good break time,
Fast Faced environment while hand crafting beverages
Manager, Shift Supervisor, Barista (Current Employee), 25 The West MallJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: free drinks, 1lb of coffee per week
Cons: hours can be variable
Work on bar or till as needed, make drinks clean café, restock items. Learned a lot about coffee and detail cleaning of machines.
Management is extremely understanding gets along with employees.
Very laid back and easy to socialize with.
Finding things to clean when slow, or having enough partners when busy.
Hand crafting drinks and talking to customers
Productive, Busy, Stressful,
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Burlington, OnJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free lunches and product, discounts, coffee, good networking (with customers)
Cons: long days, no days off
i was a manager
the pay did not match the work that was expected of me
the management was not well organized
Easy to excel if you worked hard
Decent job and productive.
Cashier/ Barista/ stock (Former Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 4, 2015
I loved the job and the company. The hours weren't bad but the staff and management wasn't the best.
Productive and very fun workplace with advacement
Shift Supervisor & ASM in Training (Former Employee), Durham RegionDecember 18, 2014
Pros: free drinks and staff discount
I was employed with Starbucks for a few years during university and I loved it. Definitely one of mt favorite jobs. I started as a barista, just barely drinking coffee and nearly became an ASM before moving on. At Starbucks you are always working as a team with your co-workers. As a supervisor it was I always encouraged staff to work together to help drive sales and surpass store targets. The hardest part of the job was coaching partners when approached with unhappy customers. The best part of the job was having happy and friendly people to work with well delegating tasks and seeing the stores develop into communities.
Fun workplace when with the right people
Barista (Current Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 17, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: horrible managers
I loved the environment I worked in. Fast paced and exciting but frustrating at times. My fellow baristas were great and always happy but all the managers that work for the company lacked the people skills that are the foundation of what starbucks os built upon.
Fun Place to work while adhering to the rules
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 15, 2014
Making drinks for everyone can be fun, the job is entertaining and involves a person who is always on the move. It's a job that helps you balance life and work and has many benefits, along with this it gives you the skills to provide great customer service during stressing environments. Great company1
Fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee and a free 1lb bag every week
Cons: cleaning the oven
I lreally enjoyed working there. I got to move to quite a few stores and got to know a lot of people. I loved the atmosphere and getting to my customers. I learned a lot while i was there for ex. P&L how to do scheduling and inventory counts monthly. The hardest part was trying to move up in the company and sometimes the not so nice customers.
Fun working environment!
Supervisor (Former Employee), St. John's, NLDecember 3, 2014
Was fortunate to work with a wonderful crew of people and made some life long friends while working there. The pay wasn't bad for what the job requires and the hours were flexible which is great for students. Would recommend this job, 100%.
Work
Barista (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 3, 2014
Pros: free drink 30 percent discount
Cons: odd hours
It a nice place to work if you want to meet people. You learn how to deal with people in a regular basis. Since there are High turn over rate a new manager comes in every 1 to 2 years. Very stressful environment. The hardest part of the job is trying to please customers, and make drinks as quick as possible in peak hours and seasonal. The best part of this job is that you get 5 free drinks during your shift.
Busy
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Squamish, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: connecting with people, social, perks and benefits
Cons: lots of hard work, can be stressful, misunderstandings and miscommunication happen, things can get disorganized and chaotic quickly, have to be prepared as best can while it's possible
- Lots of challenges
- Rewarding
- Lots of social, communication, and people skills development
Fun workplace
Certified Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Montreal, QCDecember 1, 2014
I loved working at Starbucks because we were right next to a school. A lot of my customers were people my age and so many of them were regulars and we became friends outside of work. I became a lot more comfortable talking to people I don't know, and learned a lot more tricks to give good customer service and work quickly.

I loved my boss because she trusted me with responsibility but knew when to take control of a situation and tell me what needed to be done. It was a good balance.
N/A
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCNovember 27, 2014
This review has already been submitted and some aspects were good while working here and some aspects were not good.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more