Staples Employee Reviews

Staples Contact Centre was a great place to work.
HR specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 February 2017
Managers and associates were well trained and for the first 10 years I found the culture was very exciting. Associates were well versed on the culture, the company goals and understood clearly where Staples wanted to be as a company. Salary and benefits were good, and all associates felt valued. Over the last few years Staple's goal was to be number one in office products and furniture and had a mandate to take over its biggest competitors. During this time it was obvious this was their focus and the culture was changing. Unfortunately Staples were not successful in buying out their competitors and for the first time in my career there I felt uncertain of how we would recover and that job security was at risk.

I had very supportive managers and business partners who were willing to discuss and share what they needed from me. They also had no problem letting me know when they needed me to step up and help them work through associate issues. Also no matter how complicated or demanding the work was we could always share a good laugh.
Pros
Great benefits, excellent training, good salary, treated associates fairly, Associates felt respected, and a big part of the success.
Amazing Work Team and Work Tasks
Technology Sales Representative Area (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QC16 May 2016
Typical Day:
- Inventory check and stock
- Proposing complete solutions to customers
- Provide after-sales services
- Configuration of electronic devices and installations of products
- Ability to use the cash register, reimburse and exchange products
- Create financing accounts between Desjardins and Staples for
clients
- A team (collegues and employers) is important - Most enjoyable
I learned how to use printers on a business level, and got a good knowledge of electronic devices and how they work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC13 May 2016
I helped customers find a computer or electronic device that suited their needs. I learned to operate commercial printers, I enjoyed working there and appreciated the management staff. The hardest part of my job was the lifting of heavy printers, the best part of working at Staples was the customers and finding what they were looking for, and being updated on the latest technology.
Pros
Being updated on the latest technology.
Cons
lifting of heavy printers
co worker is productive.
Overnight Stocker Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 May 2016
with the new supervision, they don't care about what is happening in the store. they don't know how to appreciate the hardwork and no appreciation nor recognition for their night team. they talk to much without and pretend that they do something. like what the upper management, they focus on their mobile rather than attending the needs of the customers.
fun, challenging work, poor management
Computer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 April 2016
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves and approaching potential customers. There is much to be learned in regards to technology, computers and printers. The management is a tricky situation. Most of the managers are very easy going, making for a very comfortable workplace environment. However, two of the managers, who happen to be higher up, can be very discouraging at times, making for a very uneasy, up tight and uncomfortable workplace environment. The hardest part of the job is living up to these managers' expectations, being that no matter how hard you try or how well you perform, there will seldom be any recognition of achievement and always plenty of "areas of opportunity".
Always a happy and positive environment
Technician/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 April 2016
Working with the great people that I get to really makes the biggest difference and makes the day go by so much better and faster because of it. Production is just better also and with the hardest thing would be dealing with angry customers you can always rely on your peers. I enjoy the customer service aspect of working with staples. Overall you learn a lot of patience which I already had before working there.
Great learning opportunity for people with tech background.
Assistant Technician (Temporary Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 May 2016
Great place to learn and experience retail and better you're communication skills. Also teaches you about different technologies. Staples is a great place if you have a tech background.
Pros
Improve communication skills and technical skills.
Cons
Negative customers/consumers
Do stock, prices and help clients.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2016
I work on the floor so when there is stock for the night I have to finish it, if there is no stock or I finish it before my shift I have to fill the isles. While I'm doing my tasks I help out clients at the same time, most of time I sell chairs to clients. At the end of my shift when I work at night I have to do price changes if theres any.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
small shifts
productive and Friendliness workplace
Co-op Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 April 2016
I have successfully completed my Co-op at Staples Canada, Barrie as a supporting technician in Easy Tech department. My roles and responsibilities were to do full computer setup, configuration, maintenance, complete care, Data backup and migration, Data wipe as well as customer service.

It was really a great opportunity for me to work in Staples Canada - Easy Tech department under the guidance of Service Manager, Senior Technicians and staff. I have gained a great technical knowledge and experience as well. I really appreciate their throughout help and support given during Co-op duration. I am also thankful to Staples Canada for giving me such a exiting opportunity.
Pros
good work experience
Cons
No job oppertunities for voluntieer students
Great place for the entry level experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2016
I used to work at Staples as a Sales Representative in the year 2014. This place is a great learning tool for the entry level people.
good light hearted evironment
Technology sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2016
not the best place for perminant work, and isnt made easy to live off the wages they pay. im disappointed that they dont know how to treat their loyal staff with any sort of respect, and are willing to destroy peoples lives by cutting hours way back with little to no notice.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
poor wages, and poor staff loyalty from the superiors
Great environment, Manager treats you like family
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK23 December 2016
I started this job as a work placement when I was in a special adult living program at SIAST. Immediately upon entering the manager's office I could tell the energy of the atmosphere was a very positive one and the manager was very friendly.

Over the course of working there I was greeted with pleasant coworkers and a manager that gave you a pat on the back for accomplishing personal goals such as getting your area of the store front faced in a short amount of time or being able accomplish more tasks effectively and more efficiently. After my job placement period was done I was offered the job there part time and eagerly took it. I always looked forward to working at this place and getting to chat with fellow workers and customers and always felt good about getting tasks done with positive reinforcement to strengthen my morale to do even better as each work day passed. My only regret was having to leave the job due to schedule conflicts with a full time job I found at another place that paid slightly more, but if given the chance, I would definitely go back to work at Staples again without question.
Pros
in-store discount, Awesome Manager, great coworkers, great atmosphere
Cons
only part time hours and minimum wage
Repetitive tasks being asked of.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 April 2016
Not getting to build too many planograms, and getting stuck to do the same old tasks that might not be that important. Sales days would be approaching and new planograms must be built, but the manager proceeds to make workers work on the regular tasks instead of working on future tasks that will bring prophet to the company.
Pros
Just gained work experience to see how retail runs.
Cons
Called out on breaks, not enough members on the floor to help customers, Confussion between manager and workers
Excellent Place to work
Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 May 2016
Excellent place to work. The support from management is remarkable. They have very good orientation & training programmes for new hires and they also ensure the deliveries of the same within stipulated time frame.

I really enjoyed working with Staples.
Pros
Supportive staff
Working at Staples call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 September 2016
I really loved working at Staples call center, they were understanding and accommodating when the time was needed. I enjoyed working for Staples, and getting to talk to the customers from different places in the United States. 99% of the time the customers were friendly, but you do come across the odd grouchy,or racist or just nasty people. But I didn't mind dealing with them, all they want is for someone to listen to what they have to say! The only thing I would complain about the company is that they don't pay enough an hour, Where as other call centers pay almost $20 an hour, Staples would offer minimum or unless you had experience then they would offer a bit more. They have awesome benefit coverage, and paid holiday, so you would think they would pay more to their employees. Price for lunches in the cafeteria was acceptable, Management was great and understanding and there for you if you needed to talk to someone! I just wish they didn't close their doors and moved it to the Philippines because I would still be working there if they didn't move.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Working on important holidays except Christmas
Exciting work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 April 2016
A work day would start out by checking if products were in correct aisles. Management was great I learned a lot through them from dealing with certain products for certain customers, working with co workers was what made my job enjoyable and fun. best part of the job was seeing a satisfied customer.
Great opportunity to move laterally but layoffs are happening now!
ProActive Chat Representative, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS29 March 2016
I worked at Staples from 2010-2014 and held about 4-5 different positions throughout my time. I was really glad I could apply for new positions so that I wouldn't get bored and want to leave. But many managers seemed like they were micro-managing, and overall the atmosphere was pretty negative from coworkers. Not many were happy to be there, many had been there for YEARS, and we were crammed in like sardines. And then they started outsourcing.
Pros
Assigned desks, opportunities to apply for other positions
Cons
Negative coworkers, micro-managing, layoffs in favour of outsourcing
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 March 2016
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Pros
Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons
No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
good paying job with security
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 July 2016
I really like this job because it is not physically demanding. It is a good paying job with chance for advancement and security for my family.
Pros
free drinks and warm co-workers
Gave a very memorable entrance to the working world
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 March 2016
My co-workers were the most welcoming group of people, it made me feel very comfortable especially since it was my first job. Management was good as well, trying to accommodate to your life's schedule. I learned a lot about how to deal with the many different kinds of customers, but overall gained a lot of skill in communicating with everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts, as I was employed the month before school started. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the many different products the store sold.
Pros
Location (the centre of Heartland)
Cons
Back-to-school season

69%