Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall Staples was a good place to work.
Category Specialist (Buyer) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Was able to learn a lot about the retail industry. The opportunity is there if you want to learn about other divisions; was given the opportunity to travel on occasions. Feedback was valued by management.
Great Company, Cares about Employee's, Potential for Moving Up
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJanuary 28, 2016
I've worked at Staples part-time for over 6 years. Great company, little stress. Excessive amounts of Interviews to get in, however this insures colleagues are suitable for the job, and pull their own weight.
Pros
Very little Stress. Flexible Schedule.
Cons
Salary, When doing a closing shift, never leaving when scheduled.
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Pros
excellent staff, excellent service
nothing
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Taking over from other supervisor & re-allocating of shift.
Co-workers are good.
most enjoyably part is every day you have different kind of challenges .
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Taking over shift form other Supervisor & re-allocation of job.
My co-workers are good & always helped me to meet the target.
The most enjoyable prt is every day is a new day with new tasks.
Productive and fun Stage
Intern (Former Employee) –  Mascouche, QCJanuary 19, 2016
I learned alot at Bureau en Gros, how to interact with the customers, How to open and close a ticket (depends on the program). I would start the day at 8 am and finish at 5 pm going into the shop and repairing computers.
Pros
Co-workers were Friendly
Cons
Not alot of work
Productive and fun place to work
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
- Helped with customer inquiries
- Provided information on company's products and services
- Co-workers are very nice and helpful
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Slow days
Interesting Workplace with chances of being creative
technology sales (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Only worked there for a few months but it helps being creative and helpful to the costumers and being an asset to the Staples team.
Pros
Disscount on tech and furniture items
Cons
mixed hours
not enough training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 14, 2016
not enough training for new hires. left alone too early needed more guidance got hired for no reason. it was a busy place during the season
Mainly worked alone to complete a variety of tasks and customer orders. Time efficiency and organization is key for success in this position.
Copy Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Copy Centre associate working both alone and in a group, involved in a wide variety of tasks. As a copy centre associate, I was expected to complete orders involved in copying, printing, cutting, and laminating as well as working with a variety of computer software programs to design, edit, and produce customer orders. The management at Staples preferred one associate to work in the copy centre at a time, allowing me to really develop skills in organization and time efficiency as I completed all tasks and customer orders while still attending the cash register. Also had shifts as a cashier in other areas of the store and covering breaks, which involved communication and cooperation with co-workers.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Wonderful place to work
COPY AND PRINT LEAD (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONDecember 30, 2015
Fast paced environment meant to challenge you. Meet new people everyday. Feel empowered to make choices. Scheduling was always very flexible and fairly balanced. The company have labour challenges to reduce labour hours that resulted in lowered staff morale.
Excellent Survival Job
East Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 25, 2015
The company would be a good place to work if they paid employees a livable wage and did not try to manipulate employees by insulting their intelligence.The store I worked at had decent management so it was tolerable. A typical day included running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to serve customers. Be warned there is no clearly defined position at this company. Even the Managers' stock shelves. You will be hired as an Easy Tech but you will end up doing anything and everything. Your feet will hurt a lot from standing all day you will miss breaks and management will pretend they did not notice it. It is best to use this company the same way they use you... for money. This is a good job for people who have no choice, need temporary work or a student. It is not a career by any means.
Pros
Helping customers, Co-workers, Clean Environment
Cons
Pay, pressure without incentive, physical discomfort, unaffordable benefits, ect...
Customer focused environment with ability to work from home
Parts Order Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 22, 2015
A typical day included accessing many different databases in order to access the parts and determine the best level of service for clients.
My co-workers were professional and the job allowed me to work individually as well as a part of a team.
Management didn't micro-manage and I had the flexibility to work from home.
I most enjoyed the fact that I could work from home - especially during inclement weather.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Required travel to head office (several hours away via public transportation)
Great Company
Copy Lead (Former Employee) –  Goderich, ONDecember 21, 2015
Great company, took good care of their employees.

Fair and honest.

Loved dealing with my customers, meeting new people.

Learnt what I would do and what I would not do as part of a management team for overall success in a retail environment.

Learned how to deal effectively interact with potential business clients.
Pros
Awesome Customers
Cons
Retail, sometimes difficult customers
Liars
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 18, 2015
Honestly speaking, the only good thing about Bureau En Gros are the employees. If not for them, I would quit the same day I got hired. I CLEARLY specified in my resume that I'm looking for a full time job, and they still called me for an interview where they offered me a part time job, where they GUARANTEED 25 - 30 hours. I wasn't really mad, because that would cover my basic costs, so I accepted.

Basically they started off by giving me 18 - 20 hours. I asked the manager, why? She responded with: "You're new, so I don't want you to be overwhelmed" Fine, I decided to be a little patient, and give them the benefit of the doubt, considering they are a big corporation, and believed they would act professionally.

1 Month passes, and they decrease my hours down to 15 a week. I decided to have a conversation with my manager about the situation, explaining to her that I will be homeless, if this continues and if she's unable to give me more hours, to tell me right away so I could find another job. She acted sympathetic, and said she will try to provide more hours for me, not only did this continue for 3 more weeks, now they decreased my hours to 9 this week, and 5 for next week. How am I supposed to live on 50$ for a week? (not considering rent). Most of my co-workers live with their parents, I don't and she knows that perfectly well. Basically they don't give a flying cr*p about their employees.

I will never work there again, and I highly discourage anybody on indeed from doing so either.
Pros
In-store discount for employees, great co-workers.
Cons
Poor management, disregard towards employees, no comission
Exciting challenges and supportive workplace. Many years in retail and other work but this was the most rewarding and enjoyable.
manager training (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 17, 2015
I started as an 'older' associate in the office. It was both challenging and rewarding with team support and encouragement. Opportunities to try new things and support to get there. Fun times with a professional approach. Lots of efforts to maintain good morale and offer training and development. Willing to try to do new things with a well educated or experienced management team.
Pros
lunch room and work out area, Pleasant environment
Cons
Leaving. Wish I had not left
Great place
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 9, 2015
It's a well managed company that really cares for their employees. They're very flexible with students as well as the needs of employees. The job is very educational and gives you a good hands on training to situations and experiences you probably won't get to learn else where unless you went to school for it.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABDecember 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be, from the time I start my shift, I am on the till all day. I great the customers coming in and leaving. I scan their items, put the items in a bag when needed, complete transactions in cash, debit/credit, hand their receipt and wish them a great day before they leave. Sometimes I would get a customer with a return or exchange and I would gladly help them out. I also offer guidance and assistance with finding certain products or services. I learned a great deal of communication skills, organizational skills and interpersonal skills. The management and co-workers are friendly and they treat everyone like a working family. The hardest part of the job is when it gets really busy and stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and having some fun activities every once in a while.
Pros
fun activities, free food on occasions, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Grumpy customers
Great place to work with a very supportive team.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 5, 2015
Friendly and enjoyable working environment with a great set of managers and associates. Focus is on employee development from head office to store level.

One challenging aspect is not having a set schedule for week to week.
Pros
Great management team and working environment
Cons
Not a set schedule.
tv in break room
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCDecember 5, 2015
worked as a customer service representative, able to make orders for delivery for customers for furniture, great staff throughout my time there