Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Gave a very memorable entrance to the working world
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2016
My co-workers were the most welcoming group of people, it made me feel very comfortable especially since it was my first job. Management was good as well, trying to accommodate to your life's schedule. I learned a lot about how to deal with the many different kinds of customers, but overall gained a lot of skill in communicating with everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts, as I was employed the month before school started. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the many different products the store sold.
Pros
Location (the centre of Heartland)
Cons
Back-to-school season
Productive,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 13, 2016
very productive, l learned that patience goes very far. mangement is very approachable. I enjoy going to work, seeing my co-workers they are like family. Home away from home. hardest part of my job is when you can't make everyone happy, although you try. Most enjoyable is when you make your customers happy and they leave satisfied.
Very friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QCMarch 11, 2016
Ideal for any part-time student job. Management is extremely friendly, flexible and open to employee suggestions. Co-workers are mostly young adults which makes it a very hip and friendly work environment. Downside of this job is that management can't afford to allocate many hours for their employees for the greater part of the year. On the other hand, all employees become full-time employees during the back to school period; it can get pretty crazy at times.
Pros
Very flexible hours, friendly management and coworkers
Cons
Might get bored when there are no customers
low morale
Escalations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSMarch 10, 2016
Into work, begin answering calls from store associates and customer service reps, taking on a teaching role when applicable and taking over escalations for reps to resolve customer issues
Fast paced, learning environment
Aisles/Computers Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
Aisles and Computers offer both stability in hours and constant movement. Goals and quotas get you to push yourself to strive for better. I learned operating programs (Windows 7, 8, 10) along with vital omputer information (ram, processor, hard drive, etc) and had an opportunity to learn about Apple products. Grasped the understanding of front facing products, up-selling, and inventory management. Most people I worked with were easy going, and very work oriented while maintaining a healthy, active personal schedule.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with quotas, which were set by the previous year's completion per week. The most enjoyable part was the fact that it was a safe, reliable and trusting environment with a great staff and management team.
Cons
"Sh-t runs down hill. You're at the bottom."
Good
Isles associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 2, 2016
It was a good place to work you're always busy doing something everyone working there was a nice person. hardest part was not being allowed to search for customers to help easiest part was their was always something to do.
Wondeful staff, extremely fair company, fantastic ethics
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Excellent management, very fair work conditions, and absolutely positive working environment. The CEO has amazing morals and truly treats all his employees, both part-time and full-time, with utmost respect. My only wish is if advancement was easier to do, however, I will not give up.
Pros
Fun days, amazing management, kind staff
Cons
Low hours, not much advancement
3.5 out of 5
Services supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKFebruary 21, 2016
busy days, long shifts, management was always good to listen and help. hardest part of the job was how my general manager volintold me to do a lot of things like raffles and setting up events which is fine, But when i have told them i have enough to do and explained what i had to do the just shrugged and said that sucks.
Pros
great team, good hours
Cons
shifts allways changing, manager didnt like me, not sure why.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I had a great time while I worked there years ago. Excellent benefits and bonuses. More of a small business culture.I was given opportunity to make decisions.
Pros
Career advancemant
don't do it!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Mississauga is the busiest hub in Canada
You will be moving boxes of paper (50lbs +) ea by the skid load(2000lbs+). Hand delivery. Everyday.
You WILL work until you are finished your route.
You will not find respect until at least a year on the job.
Most of your training is on the run.
Trucks are ALWAYS a problem..YOURS
Busy season is murder!!
Pros
99% great customers, decent wages, decent benefits
Cons
The busy season, management
Very Engaging
IT Technical Helpdesk Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 8, 2016
Vibrant Experience. Best places to work at. Learned a lot new technologies, Task Management, Employee coordination, Decision Making, Critical Thinking and Professional Communication Skill and on top of all Great Customer Service Skills.
Overall good company to work for, poisoned by terrible management at store level
Merchandiser/Aisles Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 7, 2016
Horrible management at the store level. Was told by my GM that I was "never allowed t sell a computer again" because of minor mistakes I made in an area I was never trained instead of offering to train me. Maybe if they actually spent the money to have more sales people in the store I wouldn't get dragged over there. The other manager, divisional sales or something is constantly being sarcastic when I ask him questions or hardly ever listens when I talk to him on the phone. very unprofessional and can't wait to leave.
Pros
Free lunches once in a while, I`ll be able to quit soon
Cons
Treated poorly, un-appreciated, degraded by management, bad pay, horrible hours.
Great company to work for
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Accommodating and reasonable. great communication and job culture. Cross training and management programs make it possible to advance and receive recognition for it.
enjoyable time at work
Computer Technician ( 3 months Internship) (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCFebruary 4, 2016
Mondays every one comes to work sad and no one says hi.
Fridays every one is happy and enthusiastic and every one says hi .

In both days i am happy and i want a good, friendly environment at work
Being productive in all tasks
Night stocker (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Working alongside different co-workers to see how well we work with one another
Having to work with other crew members working on renovations as well
Worked well enough to the point where everyone got own tasks
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
Graveyard shift
Professional,
Customer Service/ Aisle Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Cash was great, amazing customers, great co-workers, Working at staples at time i did with the management i did was amazing it taught me a lot about customer service, and going above and beyond the customers expectations.
Staples Canada is a good company.
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 2, 2016
I like to work in Staples. The environment in there is fine. In this tough economic situation, it is not easy for everybody
Overall Staples was a good place to work.
Category Specialist (Buyer) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Was able to learn a lot about the retail industry. The opportunity is there if you want to learn about other divisions; was given the opportunity to travel on occasions. Feedback was valued by management.
Great Company, Cares about Employee's, Potential for Moving Up
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJanuary 28, 2016
I've worked at Staples part-time for over 6 years. Great company, little stress. Excessive amounts of Interviews to get in, however this insures colleagues are suitable for the job, and pull their own weight.
Pros
Very little Stress. Flexible Schedule.
Cons
Salary, When doing a closing shift, never leaving when scheduled.
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Pros
excellent staff, excellent service