Staples Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!!
Customer Service Associate & Aisles Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 October 2016
My experience at Staples has been more than a pleasure. Unfortunately, they do not offer full-time hours to associates which is what I need.
Pros
Friendly co-workers/management
Cons
Not enough hours
Great People
Tech Salesman (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON17 December 2016
I didn't expect to find such great people at STAPLES. I leanrned a lot regarding time management, customer service and meeting sales goals.
Good team work
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2016
One of the best thing I experienced is good team work and that is night crew and also it has friendly management which is good.
Great Place to Work!
Computer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2016
Staples Business Depot provides its employees with exceptional training and a healthy work environment. They are a business that puts a lot of money into training their associates to not only become greats sellers and helpful employees, but also to become better individuals outside of work.
This job provides its employees with the opportunity to gain knowledge on technology and current business strategies. It also provides employees with additional workshops that can be attended to better ones knowledge on particular products and technology.
Wonderful People, Wonderful Place, Wonderful Environment
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 June 2016
My amazing management at Staples always does their best to work with you and your schedule. They are very understanding and accommodating when they work with you. And they always strive to create an enjoyable work experience and environment for everyone, they want everyone to be happy and comfortable.
Coworkers are always very kind and happy, we easily welcome others into the family and love to chat when we have the time, both on and off the job. We really get to know each other and that makes the Christmas and Summer BBQ the best and most fun experience.
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 March 2016
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Pros
Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons
No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 July 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 January 2016
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Pros
excellent staff, excellent service
My experience at Staples
Cashier/ Aisles (Former Employee) –  Staples Alberta 130th Avenue location12 September 2016
A typical day at Staples was quite enjoyable. I am close with many employees. All were very good roll models to me. I had many tasks to complete everyday and was always efficient enough to get them done. I would do a report on one aisle everyday day of the week. After completing the report and looking for merchandise i would down stock the entire front half and back half of the aisle. After fully down stocking the aisle i would do stock that was received that day. Anywhere from 1-30 pallets of stock i would work on daily. The management was very happy to see how hard i work and how efficiently i work and complete so much in a short amount of time. I was consistently recognized for my attitude and energy. Throughout the day I'm also helping customers with all there needs and questions. I also would cover breaks at the tills when the cashier wanted to take her breaks. I was placing orders online for customers if we didn't have the product in store. I would also call other staples in Calgary to transfer in product that we don't have in stock to be able to get the product to the customer that they are asking for. The hardest part of the job was the beginning, learning where all the product went, how to work the scanners and also how to organize tasks so they are completed efficiently and properly the first time. I developed all those skills needed in a short amount of time and it was often recognized. After one year i was promoted to Aisles Lead/Captain. This job consisted of training everyone in aisles new or previous employees. I trained them everything there was to know about  more... aisles. I was always open with them and welcomed them to ask any questions. I wrote lists of tasks for the night associate before leaving work. Writing the list i found helped the management for that night it gave them a idea of what needed to be done and they could guide the associate if they had any questions about the tasks. Leading the entire half of the store was most definitely one of my favorite things. Loved to watch people grow and learn. I consistently recognized all people i trained. When the employees were doing a good job i found it very important to be encouraging and proud. If they had any struggles they knew they could ask. If i noticed they were having difficulty completing a task i would talk to them and go over it with them to help them further understand. After doing that i would personally help them with the task just in case they had any questions or concerns. The other benefits were working with all my fellow associates, and interacting with customers and helping them with what they needed. It felt great to be able to help customers. I also liked doing the stock, once all pallets were empty you feel accomplished and you know you made a difference and also made the management very happy. I've taken a lot from this experience and I am ready to begin another chapter and experience and learn more.  less
Pros
Work benefits, Great staff, Supportive managers
Cons
Low wage, looking for something now that pays more
Unpredictable hours, unfair pay, enormous workload, and tons of sales pressure.
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Unrealistic sales expectations and pressure ruin this job. If you're looking for an easy part time sales job, look elsewhere because the amount of sales pressure put upon you is insane. When you fail to meet weekly quotas they cut your hours, and then when you ask for help and you actually have determination to improve there is no one to really help. The pay is unfair because you need to be very well versed with computer hardware (CPU's, clock speeds, RAM frequencies, etc.). If you do not know how to explain computer specs to a customer and explain the benefits of A or B then you will NOT be able to sell, and there is very little to no training on this. And on top of that you need to know HOW to sell, stock shelves, do pull lists, operate stock pickers, and book in computers for repair. The pay is unfair when you realize that the cashier gets paid the exact same as you but they just have to stand there the entire shift while you're overworked and running all over the place all the while your GM asks you "why are your numbers are so low."
Pros
Experience
Cons
Almost everything
High rotation of staff
Préposée au service à la clientèle/caissière (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QC9 August 2016
It's a fair place to work. Employees are young and a lot of part time staff. Team work is promoted but not necessarily applied.. As most retail stores, lots of tagging to do and constant changes and rotations in the store. All in all it's an ok place.
Pros
continuous training
Cons
too much promotion
fun, challenging work, poor management
Computer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 April 2016
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves and approaching potential customers. There is much to be learned in regards to technology, computers and printers. The management is a tricky situation. Most of the managers are very easy going, making for a very comfortable workplace environment. However, two of the managers, who happen to be higher up, can be very discouraging at times, making for a very uneasy, up tight and uncomfortable workplace environment. The hardest part of the job is living up to these managers' expectations, being that no matter how hard you try or how well you perform, there will seldom be any recognition of achievement and always plenty of "areas of opportunity".
Great environment, Manager treats you like family
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK23 December 2016
I started this job as a work placement when I was in a special adult living program at SIAST. Immediately upon entering the manager's office I could tell the energy of the atmosphere was a very positive one and the manager was very friendly.

Over the course of working there I was greeted with pleasant coworkers and a manager that gave you a pat on the back for accomplishing personal goals such as getting your area of the store front faced in a short amount of time or being able accomplish more tasks effectively and more efficiently. After my job placement period was done I was offered the job there part time and eagerly took it. I always looked forward to working at this place and getting to chat with fellow workers and customers and always felt good about getting tasks done with positive reinforcement to strengthen my morale to do even better as each work day passed. My only regret was having to leave the job due to schedule conflicts with a full time job I found at another place that paid slightly more, but if given the chance, I would definitely go back to work at Staples again without question.
Pros
in-store discount, Awesome Manager, great coworkers, great atmosphere
Cons
only part time hours and minimum wage
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS31 January 2017
I really really enjoy working with all the other employee's, the work place was good, managers were very understanding and hours were really amazing. Staples is probably the best work place I have ever worked in so far. I learned that patients is key and to never let a customer talk you out of something you said to get something better.
Pros
Good Employees
Inviting work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 February 2017
Being a sales associate at staples, your day would consist of, reviewing your previous sales results, making a goal of the present day sales, assist customers and constantly up-sell. Staples teaches you how to be confident and natural with customers, to be able to get to the point and show them what their looking for in little time.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Not very organized
Mainly worked alone to complete a variety of tasks and customer orders. Time efficiency and organization is key for success in this position.
Copy Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON7 January 2016
Copy Centre associate working both alone and in a group, involved in a wide variety of tasks. As a copy centre associate, I was expected to complete orders involved in copying, printing, cutting, and laminating as well as working with a variety of computer software programs to design, edit, and produce customer orders. The management at Staples preferred one associate to work in the copy centre at a time, allowing me to really develop skills in organization and time efficiency as I completed all tasks and customer orders while still attending the cash register. Also had shifts as a cashier in other areas of the store and covering breaks, which involved communication and cooperation with co-workers.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Enjoyed working with Staples
Account manager (Current Employee) –  Sackville ns15 January 2017
I have spent ELEVEN years with this company all in sales and customer service but feel it is time to move forward with a company with a retirement package
Pros
Can win things if you exceed goals
Cons
No retirement package
I learned how to use printers on a business level, and got a good knowledge of electronic devices and how they work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC13 May 2016
I helped customers find a computer or electronic device that suited their needs. I learned to operate commercial printers, I enjoyed working there and appreciated the management staff. The hardest part of my job was the lifting of heavy printers, the best part of working at Staples was the customers and finding what they were looking for, and being updated on the latest technology.
Pros
Being updated on the latest technology.
Cons
lifting of heavy printers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2016
I had a great time while I worked there years ago. Excellent benefits and bonuses. More of a small business culture.I was given opportunity to make decisions.
Pros
Career advancemant
Professional Quality Company
Sales, Cashier, Copy and Print Centre (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON16 January 2017
I love Staples! They offer lots of perks, good discounts, and opportunities to evolve. I would work for Staples again if the opportunity came.