Staples Employee Reviews

Staples is a standard retail job, so its up to you to make it fun and worthwhile
Technology sales and services associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
A typical day would to do a morning checklist, consisting of security of product on the floor. During this time I would also take the time to take a look around my department and identify problem areas, stock is low or missing, product not properly secured with security wraps etc..

I learned a great deal while working at staples, the biggest of which is being able to keep your calm while under pressure. This is one of many skills that working retail can give you. fast consistent decision making, customer first mentality, working with others to complete a single task. dividing up work based on co-workers strengths and weaknesses.

At my location it was the coworkers that made working their fun and worthwhile, coming into work knowing that no matter how bad of a day it could be, that there is someone there to help is what makes retail worth it
Great Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2017
flexible work environment
i learned how to deal with "difficult"customers
great management
Great Co workers
it was fast paste
professional
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 November 2016
A very nice and professional place to work in. The management was very professional, very helpful at times and ready to teach the new aspects in job. Great place.
Great work place with great benefits and people.
Computer Sales (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 December 2016
Staples was a great job. It allowed me to utilize the skills I already had to help others. Customer service is a field in which I enjoy working. I learned how to deal with customers who were upset and how to rectify said issue.

The technology department taught me a lot on the latest products, which in turn would allow me to assist customers with any questions they may have. The repair depot also taught me how to work through problems with pc hardware and software. A skill that will forever be useful.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
nice people and fun place
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON5 November 2016
it was good job for me as a part time cashier there .. and was getting enough hours but it was too far for me so i had to leave .. managers and bosses were good to all their employees .
Pros
50% discount
Cons
too much work with less positive feedback
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
the store has too much work and the management was bad at giving positive or negative feedback. they really needs to change the management at this location
Pros
nothing
Cons
no feedback from supervisors
Horrible management, not enough training.
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 December 2016
I worked in the Burlington location and did not enjoy my position past two weeks.

They tricked me into working in the Copy and Print center, promising it would be temporary and that they'd move me to the tech center.

After six months of nothing changing in my position and them putting me as a cashier, the stress of the copy center forced me to leave.

Working in the copy center you are alone a lot of the time and it is chaotic. There needs to be two people in there at all times.

Managers were passive agressive and had no idea how to assist in the copy center. Absolutely no training there at all. There were petty arguments between employees, and some of the employees got away with things they shouldn't have such as bad mouthing other employees and storming out of their position only to be forgiven a few minutes later.

Was promised to have someone talk with me about how we could work with my anxiety and how to make my job as stress free as possible and nobody ever kept their promise.

Cash was easy, but they threw me in there with no training.

Don't take a copy and print position if you are anxious or easily stressed out. It is very chaotic and nobody but the people who work solely in the print center are trained on how to do anything in the print center.

You do get benefits after 6 months, however no matter if you're part or full time.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours for the most part.
Cons
Horrible managers, untrained staff, no room to grow.
Not My Forever Job
Print and Marketing Consultant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 November 2016
This job has been helpful for the last few years, however I'm looking for a position that offers me room for advancement, with a higher pay grade.
Excellent Survival Job
East Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 December 2015
The company would be a good place to work if they paid employees a livable wage and did not try to manipulate employees by insulting their intelligence.The store I worked at had decent management so it was tolerable. A typical day included running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to serve customers. Be warned there is no clearly defined position at this company. Even the Managers' stock shelves. You will be hired as an Easy Tech but you will end up doing anything and everything. Your feet will hurt a lot from standing all day you will miss breaks and management will pretend they did not notice it. It is best to use this company the same way they use you... for money. This is a good job for people who have no choice, need temporary work or a student. It is not a career by any means.
Pros
Helping customers, Co-workers, Clean Environment
Cons
Pay, pressure without incentive, physical discomfort, unaffordable benefits, ect...
Great People
Tech Salesman (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON17 December 2016
I didn't expect to find such great people at STAPLES. I leanrned a lot regarding time management, customer service and meeting sales goals.
Fun Place to work
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2016
Very Kind management
The management is ver flexible and addresses your needs, especially if your a student. Other staff is very kind and does not hesitate to teach you things that you do not know.
Good team work
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2016
One of the best thing I experienced is good team work and that is night crew and also it has friendly management which is good.
Great Place to Work!!
Customer Service Associate & Aisles Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 October 2016
My experience at Staples has been more than a pleasure. Unfortunately, they do not offer full-time hours to associates which is what I need.
Pros
Friendly co-workers/management
Cons
Not enough hours
Great company to work for.
Copy and Print Centre Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 July 2016
Head office staff, technicians, management and staff are always so helpful and friendly. Good benefits, matching RSP's.
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS31 January 2017
I really really enjoy working with all the other employee's, the work place was good, managers were very understanding and hours were really amazing. Staples is probably the best work place I have ever worked in so far. I learned that patients is key and to never let a customer talk you out of something you said to get something better.
Pros
Good Employees
Great Place to Work!
Computer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2016
Staples Business Depot provides its employees with exceptional training and a healthy work environment. They are a business that puts a lot of money into training their associates to not only become greats sellers and helpful employees, but also to become better individuals outside of work.
This job provides its employees with the opportunity to gain knowledge on technology and current business strategies. It also provides employees with additional workshops that can be attended to better ones knowledge on particular products and technology.
Inviting work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 February 2017
Being a sales associate at staples, your day would consist of, reviewing your previous sales results, making a goal of the present day sales, assist customers and constantly up-sell. Staples teaches you how to be confident and natural with customers, to be able to get to the point and show them what their looking for in little time.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Not very organized
Great environment, Manager treats you like family
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK23 December 2016
I started this job as a work placement when I was in a special adult living program at SIAST. Immediately upon entering the manager's office I could tell the energy of the atmosphere was a very positive one and the manager was very friendly.

Over the course of working there I was greeted with pleasant coworkers and a manager that gave you a pat on the back for accomplishing personal goals such as getting your area of the store front faced in a short amount of time or being able accomplish more tasks effectively and more efficiently. After my job placement period was done I was offered the job there part time and eagerly took it. I always looked forward to working at this place and getting to chat with fellow workers and customers and always felt good about getting tasks done with positive reinforcement to strengthen my morale to do even better as each work day passed. My only regret was having to leave the job due to schedule conflicts with a full time job I found at another place that paid slightly more, but if given the chance, I would definitely go back to work at Staples again without question.
Pros
in-store discount, Awesome Manager, great coworkers, great atmosphere
Cons
only part time hours and minimum wage
productive and fun workspace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2017
The hours are flexible and depending on the manager, they are according of illnesses. Working at Staples has Improved my communications skills with the customers, they gave me a chance to learn and develope my talents. I was very happy working with them.
Wonderful People, Wonderful Place, Wonderful Environment
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 June 2016
My amazing management at Staples always does their best to work with you and your schedule. They are very understanding and accommodating when they work with you. And they always strive to create an enjoyable work experience and environment for everyone, they want everyone to be happy and comfortable.
Coworkers are always very kind and happy, we easily welcome others into the family and love to chat when we have the time, both on and off the job. We really get to know each other and that makes the Christmas and Summer BBQ the best and most fun experience.

68%