Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Great company to work for
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Accommodating and reasonable. great communication and job culture. Cross training and management programs make it possible to advance and receive recognition for it.
not a nice environment for work
Associate (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 24, 2016
typical day at work is usually hectic; good learning; management not supportive and has some managers who doesn't know the ethics of talking to a co-worker; not a comfortable environment for work.
Pros
keeps you busy
Cons
break work rules
Overall Staples was a good place to work.
Category Specialist (Buyer) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Was able to learn a lot about the retail industry. The opportunity is there if you want to learn about other divisions; was given the opportunity to travel on occasions. Feedback was valued by management.
Productive, fun, wonderful culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Being a Technology Associate at Staples was by far the best job I've ever had. The average day consisted of helping customers find what they needed; answering questions about our products and services; taking inventory; setting up, organizing, and updating displays; taking in customer computers to be serviced; working on cash; assembling some furniture; and updating prices as flyers changed over every week.

The hours were flexible, the benefits were great and quick to be implemented, the managers were kind and easy to talk to, and I really enjoyed working with my colleagues. Though I found the sales aspect of the job a bit tiresome, as I don't believe I'm suited to that field of work, I had a great time and would certainly work there again.
Pros
discounts, free food, positive environment
Great Company
Copy Lead (Former Employee) –  Goderich, ONDecember 21, 2015
Great company, took good care of their employees.

Fair and honest.

Loved dealing with my customers, meeting new people.

Learnt what I would do and what I would not do as part of a management team for overall success in a retail environment.

Learned how to deal effectively interact with potential business clients.
Pros
Awesome Customers
Cons
Retail, sometimes difficult customers
Demanding and fun workplace
Electronics Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCNovember 7, 2015
A typical day at work consist of serving many customers and trying to sell the best product for their needs. Selling warranties and installations are key as well to a good sale, I learned how to serve the customer with perfection. Management is an issue with the company I find because every manager wants something different and it confuses and aggravates many employees. Co-workers are awesome and always willing to help others and know how to work as a team.
Pros
Young staff
good light hearted evironment
Technology sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2016
not the best place for perminant work, and isnt made easy to live off the wages they pay. im disappointed that they dont know how to treat their loyal staff with any sort of respect, and are willing to destroy peoples lives by cutting hours way back with little to no notice.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
poor wages, and poor staff loyalty from the superiors
co worker is productive.
Overnight Stocker Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 9, 2016
with the new supervision, they don't care about what is happening in the store. they don't know how to appreciate the hardwork and no appreciation nor recognition for their night team. they talk to much without and pretend that they do something. like what the upper management, they focus on their mobile rather than attending the needs of the customers.
Great Team
Cashier/Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 29, 2016
It is like a family working together. Great job for a young adult starting off or someone going to school.
Management was great at my store, and created some long lasting friendships
Pros
Great people
Cons
na
Do stock, prices and help clients.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
I work on the floor so when there is stock for the night I have to finish it, if there is no stock or I finish it before my shift I have to fill the isles. While I'm doing my tasks I help out clients at the same time, most of time I sell chairs to clients. At the end of my shift when I work at night I have to do price changes if theres any.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
small shifts
Very Engaging
IT Technical Helpdesk Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 8, 2016
Vibrant Experience. Best places to work at. Learned a lot new technologies, Task Management, Employee coordination, Decision Making, Critical Thinking and Professional Communication Skill and on top of all Great Customer Service Skills.
Not a perfect decoration
Print Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 6, 2016
I beleive customers need to feel more comfortable and enjoy staying at stores, that's where companies get more benefit, more traffic inside store and more minutes people stay in stores.
At staples i think a warmer decoration with more interactive concept will get customers stay more minutes and enjoy shopping.
Great learning opportunity for people with tech background.
Assistant Technician (Temporary Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to learn and experience retail and better you're communication skills. Also teaches you about different technologies. Staples is a great place if you have a tech background.
Pros
Improve communication skills and technical skills.
Cons
Negative customers/consumers
Productive,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 13, 2016
very productive, l learned that patience goes very far. mangement is very approachable. I enjoy going to work, seeing my co-workers they are like family. Home away from home. hardest part of my job is when you can't make everyone happy, although you try. Most enjoyable is when you make your customers happy and they leave satisfied.
Professional,
Customer Service/ Aisle Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Cash was great, amazing customers, great co-workers, Working at staples at time i did with the management i did was amazing it taught me a lot about customer service, and going above and beyond the customers expectations.
Exciting work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 29, 2016
A work day would start out by checking if products were in correct aisles. Management was great I learned a lot through them from dealing with certain products for certain customers, working with co workers was what made my job enjoyable and fun. best part of the job was seeing a satisfied customer.
Staples
Sales Support and Merchandise supervisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioApril 30, 2015
This was a great company but unfortunately they are now fish out of water. Another words they are a company that has flat lined with sales a while ago and as a result have no idea anymore what they stand for, where they are going or what they really want to market as "there business." Every other week they try new product that for the most part ends up sitting there till it clearances it out for almost nothing. In order to maximise what sales they are getting, they have eliminated between 40-60 percent of there staff depending on the store you work in and yet still expect the same results. You get higher managers that feel if you plan enough anyone can do the impossible. If it looks goo and plausible on paper then why not in realty is there thinking, unfortunately the 2 really are quite different. This has lead to high turn over and lots even from home office jumping ship every other week. The last while they have started what to most appear like the start of replacing managers with supervisors both at the stores and head office, so they can have someone doing the job at a lot less money. Add to the mix they push more sales online but return in store, so it looks to investors as though there internet is doing so much better then the stores.
Pros
Not bad pay for retail, nice benefits
Cons
unreal expectation, over worked
Great place to work with a very supportive team.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 5, 2015
Friendly and enjoyable working environment with a great set of managers and associates. Focus is on employee development from head office to store level.

One challenging aspect is not having a set schedule for week to week.
Pros
Great management team and working environment
Cons
Not a set schedule.
Great as a part-time job, not much room to move up unfortunately.
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Various LocationsApril 20, 2016
Working for Staples for the past 8 years has been great. During my early years with the company, I have seen many fellow associates progress into higher positions in the company. Unfortunately, this trend did not last, and the current state of the company does not allow room for growth anymore. Store closures, and restructuring of the levels provide poor upward mobility. I have taken on a position in which the responsibilities, at the time that I entered the company, was primarily split into two positions. The pay for the increased work for the position is actually lower in comparison to just a single position from the available two prior to the consolidation. The store restructuring has cut 'manager' positions, in favour for 'supervisors', who have the same job responsibilities, with a substantially lower pay. With the hurting retail sales, it is not surprising that the company has to proceed with this current trend. Staples as a company does work around the needs, and time of the employees, however, I would not suggest a career within the retail level of the company. It is however an excellent part-time job as a student if you do not see yourself staying post-graduation.
Pros
Scheduling catered to the employees
Cons
Store closures and company restructuring hurt job security and job mobility within the company
Fun Workplace with a lot of learning and growth potential
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SKApril 29, 2016
A very good company to learn processes and to develop own self professionally.
Lots to learn!

Great Management which fosters an environment of learning and growing within the company.
The team always looks after you.
Pros
Relocation Benefits
Cons
Long Hours