Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Good place to work for students
Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I was a Supervisor for almost a year. I liked the hours and days that I was scheduled. The management is not supportive of the supervisors, even though you're still a manager it doesn't feel like it. There's a lot of micro managing and my manager told me that I needed to figure the job out for myself not to ask her how to do something ( there are video's but not a lot of one on one). They don't like it if you ask a lot of questions and not a lot of patience. I really didn't have a good experience there. I was a store manager for almost 10 years so I know how to properly train staff, be compassionate and have respect to others especially when they're new. I wouldn't go back.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
lots of favortism and a low wage for what they expect of you
3.5 out of 5
Services supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKFebruary 21, 2016
busy days, long shifts, management was always good to listen and help. hardest part of the job was how my general manager volintold me to do a lot of things like raffles and setting up events which is fine, But when i have told them i have enough to do and explained what i had to do the just shrugged and said that sucks.
Pros
great team, good hours
Cons
shifts allways changing, manager didnt like me, not sure why.
co worker is productive.
Overnight Stocker Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 9, 2016
with the new supervision, they don't care about what is happening in the store. they don't know how to appreciate the hardwork and no appreciation nor recognition for their night team. they talk to much without and pretend that they do something. like what the upper management, they focus on their mobile rather than attending the needs of the customers.
Do stock, prices and help clients.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
I work on the floor so when there is stock for the night I have to finish it, if there is no stock or I finish it before my shift I have to fill the isles. While I'm doing my tasks I help out clients at the same time, most of time I sell chairs to clients. At the end of my shift when I work at night I have to do price changes if theres any.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
small shifts
good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 12, 2016
I love my job at staples , but it has come to light that i wont be going full time with them as it is not in their budget and i need full time employment . what i love about staples is the costumer interaction , i try to get a smile out of everyone that comes in as i am a very happy person .
Exciting challenges and supportive workplace. Many years in retail and other work but this was the most rewarding and enjoyable.
manager training (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 17, 2015
I started as an 'older' associate in the office. It was both challenging and rewarding with team support and encouragement. Opportunities to try new things and support to get there. Fun times with a professional approach. Lots of efforts to maintain good morale and offer training and development. Willing to try to do new things with a well educated or experienced management team.
Pros
lunch room and work out area, Pleasant environment
Cons
Leaving. Wish I had not left
good light hearted evironment
Technology sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2016
not the best place for perminant work, and isnt made easy to live off the wages they pay. im disappointed that they dont know how to treat their loyal staff with any sort of respect, and are willing to destroy peoples lives by cutting hours way back with little to no notice.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
poor wages, and poor staff loyalty from the superiors
Great learning opportunity for people with tech background.
Assistant Technician (Temporary Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to learn and experience retail and better you're communication skills. Also teaches you about different technologies. Staples is a great place if you have a tech background.
Pros
Improve communication skills and technical skills.
Cons
Negative customers/consumers
great place to work with good benefits
Cashier, Sales, Inventory Stocking (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 4, 2015
Staples was a great place to work, they had awesome mangers and staff. The normal day at staples would be either opening or closing depending on your shift, stocking shelves with inventory from the back, helping customers and sometimes working cashier. I learned a lot about communicating with people and how to always ask open ended questions. the hardest part about staples was writing the sku's on the box's before putting them above the product. most enjoyable would be the awesome benefits.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short shifts
Customer focused environment with ability to work from home
Parts Order Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 22, 2015
A typical day included accessing many different databases in order to access the parts and determine the best level of service for clients.
My co-workers were professional and the job allowed me to work individually as well as a part of a team.
Management didn't micro-manage and I had the flexibility to work from home.
I most enjoyed the fact that I could work from home - especially during inclement weather.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Required travel to head office (several hours away via public transportation)
Excellent Place to work
Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 26, 2016
Excellent place to work. The support from management is remarkable. They have very good orientation & training programmes for new hires and they also ensure the deliveries of the same within stipulated time frame.

I really enjoyed working with Staples.
Pros
Supportive staff
not a nice environment for work
Associate (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 24, 2016
typical day at work is usually hectic; good learning; management not supportive and has some managers who doesn't know the ethics of talking to a co-worker; not a comfortable environment for work.
Pros
keeps you busy
Cons
break work rules
Exciting work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 29, 2016
A work day would start out by checking if products were in correct aisles. Management was great I learned a lot through them from dealing with certain products for certain customers, working with co workers was what made my job enjoyable and fun. best part of the job was seeing a satisfied customer.
Not a perfect decoration
Print Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 6, 2016
I beleive customers need to feel more comfortable and enjoy staying at stores, that's where companies get more benefit, more traffic inside store and more minutes people stay in stores.
At staples i think a warmer decoration with more interactive concept will get customers stay more minutes and enjoy shopping.
Great Team
Cashier/Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 29, 2016
It is like a family working together. Great job for a young adult starting off or someone going to school.
Management was great at my store, and created some long lasting friendships
Pros
Great people
Cons
na
Productive, fun, wonderful culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Being a Technology Associate at Staples was by far the best job I've ever had. The average day consisted of helping customers find what they needed; answering questions about our products and services; taking inventory; setting up, organizing, and updating displays; taking in customer computers to be serviced; working on cash; assembling some furniture; and updating prices as flyers changed over every week.

The hours were flexible, the benefits were great and quick to be implemented, the managers were kind and easy to talk to, and I really enjoyed working with my colleagues. Though I found the sales aspect of the job a bit tiresome, as I don't believe I'm suited to that field of work, I had a great time and would certainly work there again.
Pros
discounts, free food, positive environment
Fun Workplace with a lot of learning and growth potential
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SKApril 29, 2016
A very good company to learn processes and to develop own self professionally.
Lots to learn!

Great Management which fosters an environment of learning and growing within the company.
The team always looks after you.
Pros
Relocation Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Fun, and met lots of new people. Team job.
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2016
Staples was a fun job to me, because there are many other co-workers that you get to work with, and also make a relationship with. My social skills improved, and I learned how to speak to all types of people, whether they're angry, confused, cant speak English.
Great as a part-time job, not much room to move up unfortunately.
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Various LocationsApril 20, 2016
Working for Staples for the past 8 years has been great. During my early years with the company, I have seen many fellow associates progress into higher positions in the company. Unfortunately, this trend did not last, and the current state of the company does not allow room for growth anymore. Store closures, and restructuring of the levels provide poor upward mobility. I have taken on a position in which the responsibilities, at the time that I entered the company, was primarily split into two positions. The pay for the increased work for the position is actually lower in comparison to just a single position from the available two prior to the consolidation. The store restructuring has cut 'manager' positions, in favour for 'supervisors', who have the same job responsibilities, with a substantially lower pay. With the hurting retail sales, it is not surprising that the company has to proceed with this current trend. Staples as a company does work around the needs, and time of the employees, however, I would not suggest a career within the retail level of the company. It is however an excellent part-time job as a student if you do not see yourself staying post-graduation.
Pros
Scheduling catered to the employees
Cons
Store closures and company restructuring hurt job security and job mobility within the company
not much fro the employees
tech sales and services representitive (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJuly 4, 2016
employees at a small staples will have the benifits of a lack of training a lack of managment training no real pros no real cons just missing something