Staples

4K reviews

Staples Employee Reviews

Only work here if you have to.
Administrative Specialist / Copy Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2015
Retail...management was unprofessional, often bordering on harassment despite company training- poisoned work environment. Pay was horrible and didn't keep up with inflation. They don't give out good reviews to anyone because they don't want to pay you the extra 25 cents it would entail. Hard to leave on time because of bag checks that you might have to wait 20 minutes or more for. I loved the work, worked hard, did my time, but was relieved to leave.
Pros
Basic benefits
Cons
I could write a book.
Productive, enjoyable, business environment
Customer Service, Aisles, and Furniture Associate (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON, and Hamilton, ONSeptember 29, 2015
A typical day involves greeting customers, assisting them with any needs, and contributing to a team environment. This includes many tasks such as welcoming a customer with a warm smile as they enter the store, answering any questions they may have about any products or services, and putting through purchases, returned, and exchanges.

I have learned that there are two different types of customers. The first being a customer who knows exactly what they are looking for when they enter the store. Whether this be a specific product or a particular feel of the environment, such as buying a printer. The other is a customer who is not quite sure what they are looking for and typically seeks guidance, such as looking for supplies for a school project. With this information, and with careful consideration, helping each customer is a different and unique experience.

Working as a team is an important part of business success.It begins with a good management team. They influence their workers and environment. They help shape a good or bad day. The co-workers add to a good or bad experience. This may vary due to the variety of personalities. Overall, the Staples team was great with customer service and a fun environment.

The most difficult part of the job is hard to pinpoint. Many people do not enjoy working in a retail position, however, working at a Staples is more than retail, it's helping people better their business. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting customers. Especially when we, as a Staples team, can help them with all of their needs and they at 100% satisfied.
Pros
Comfortable setting, upbeat employees, business essentials
Cons
Inconsistant hours
technology
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2015
i picked chairs using a cherry picker i was a sales associate who would help clients on the floor i cleaned up back stock organizing stock and also back stock
Fun and fair place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONSeptember 14, 2015
All of the people at Staples made the job easy to learn and enjoyable to go into on a daily basis. I love working in Customer Service and the customers were wonderful people. Some of the tasks were difficult to complete during my pregnancy, however, my co-workers were willing to help when/where they could.
Pros
amazing people
Cons
inconsistent schedules
Staples do not care about their employees
Agent de réclamation garantie prolongée (Current Employee) –  Laval, B5September 10, 2015
Everything is bad. The management is not supporting their employees with basic demand such has basic training and support.
Good place to work for students
Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I was a Supervisor for almost a year. I liked the hours and days that I was scheduled. The management is not supportive of the supervisors, even though you're still a manager it doesn't feel like it. There's a lot of micro managing and my manager told me that I needed to figure the job out for myself not to ask her how to do something ( there are video's but not a lot of one on one). They don't like it if you ask a lot of questions and not a lot of patience. I really didn't have a good experience there. I was a store manager for almost 10 years so I know how to properly train staff, be compassionate and have respect to others especially when they're new. I wouldn't go back.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
lots of favortism and a low wage for what they expect of you
It's a fun place to work at if you are a Student that is
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2015
great flexible work schedules
very little job advancement possibilities

majority of store associates working full time hours but with a Part Time titles so that they are not entitled to full benefits

great for students though
Pros
flexibility and great associate staff
Cons
poor advancement and high job opportunities
Little satisfactory
Proactive Inter CSR (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 31, 2015
Little help of paper work to foreigners to immigrate. I heard the news that Staples recently lay off 700 employees. So be prepared for your second career.
If the call center life is for you, it is a decent one
Customer Service Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSAugust 18, 2015
The hardest part is when it is busy, answering call after call, endless ringing in your ear. After 10 years, I need a change but there are many who have 10+ years at this center, for a reason- great benefits.
Pros
Good vacation accrual (2wks from 1-2yrs, 3 weeks for 3-5 yrs and 4 weeks, 5yrs+
Cons
Hard to reduce hours when there is a business need
Excellent Workplace
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBAugust 17, 2015
This place is overall a fantastic place to work. Management fully understands your needs and goals. Time off has never been an issue and they don't make you feel bad for anything you must do in your free time. Respect is a two way street and they have held up their end in my experience.
Pros
Excellent Management
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Pretty good place to work!
Technology Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 12, 2015
Staples was very kind to me during my stay with them. They were willing to work with your schedule as long as it was reasonable. For the position I was working I was paid minimum wage however that was to be expected. Employees are given benefits even if only working part time. The job security wasn't fantastic however as the other store in town was forced to close due to financial pressure. The management addressed concerns I had about different aspects of the job and were generally clear in their expectations. The other employees were willing to give guidance on various procedures which was a great help. There was a slight bit of drama I was annoyed by but it didn't affect me directly so I can't complain too much about that. All in all, probably one of the better retail jobs out there.
Pros
Flexible; benefits; management; atmosphere; events
Cons
Pay (Minimum wage)
Great coworkers, hard to deal with customers
Aisles Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTAugust 9, 2015
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves and helping customers. I learned that I really don't like people. Managers are friendly, coworkers are great. The hardest part of the job is having to tell customers you don't have something in stock (many yell, like it will make it magically appear. Co workers are the best part of the job hands down.
Learning ground
Tech Department Consultant / Resident Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONAugust 6, 2015
• Performed thorough diagnosis on failed computer components/and repaired to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Completed and maintained documentation products under warranty.
• Responsible for installing computer hardware and software programs on client's computers.
• Provided onsite technical support which included installation, maintenance & repairs of computer system.
• Setup network devices & wireless devices.
• Proficient in LAN, WAN & network installation
• Ability to replace & install computer peripherals
Productive and Fun
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 3, 2015
I would come in, great all the coworkers as i walked in, got ready for my shift. stock product talked about new product that was coming to the store and/or had just arrived
Pros
Friendly environment, Constant tasks
Cons
Managers want it done their way or the highway.
STAPLES
Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2015
I am delivering daily financial / non financial goals in Capital Goods (electronics, printing and copy center, furniture sections ). My duty is to develop and reinforce the selling culture, leverage customer relationships to drive sales, and maintain high merchandising standards. Responsible to ensure customer satisfaction both in store and post sales. Assists in providing guidance, training and coaching to associates as required on company initiatives, sales programs and product knowledge.
Not a good place to work in at all
Csr (Former Employee) –  Lower sackvilleJuly 30, 2015
I worked at the call center in Halifax for over a year and has never seen a place where they all think they are doctors and make you feel like nothing. I had to go on leave because the stress they put me under to the point where my doctor permently put me off from there. Run away and find a different job. ..don't apply
Pros
Cons
Bad for health
Flexible work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto. ONJuly 30, 2015
A multifaceted working environment that caters to the needs of businesses and consumers alike by offering services ranging from furniture and technology to office supplies.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
short shifts
good work struggling company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  innes and tenth lineJuly 23, 2015
I had a good couple years at staples working as an all rounded sales associate. i would sell anything from electronics to chairs and even helped out at the cash. But the company was not doing to well in its field and hours were being cut so i choose to move on in my young student career.
Friendly Environment
Sales Area Representative (Current Employee) –  Morningside and MilnerJuly 16, 2015
Day consist of managing paperwork, tending to customers' needs, delivering stock form receiving to sales floor, maintain planograms, work with co-workers to finalize sales, bottom line is to keep sales high and reach weekly goals while keeping customers satisfied and content. Able to cross train from different departments. Hardest part is to maintain store planograms and keep weekly goals aligned.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule
Cons
Pay increase seems to be non existent and hard to move up in the company
Fun sales focused place to work.
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 14, 2015
Staples is a fun place to work where i've always felt very welcome. It is one of my first jobs and over the years they've really helped my gain the knowledge and understanding that i needed in order to maintain and enjoy my part-time job. My coworkers and management team have allowed me to express myself and grow as a person well gaining confidence in today's society. Staples does push sales numbers on us but they give us the support we need to achieve them. Staples is overall a decent place to work.
Pros
support, christmas dinner, uniform, store hours
Cons
location, needs more cash workers