Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Sales Experience.
Technology Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJune 10, 2016
Achieve sales target on weekly basis help in gaining new sales experience.
Analyze customer needs, suggesting the ideal products that meet their requirements whilst cross selling insurance products to customers.
Customer-focused communicator with proven ability to understand and covey complex product information, develop rapport, build strong relationships with customers, and deliver high-impact sales presentations
Maximize sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
It's a fun place to work at if you are a Student that is
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2015
great flexible work schedules
very little job advancement possibilities

majority of store associates working full time hours but with a Part Time titles so that they are not entitled to full benefits

great for students though
Pros
flexibility and great associate staff
Cons
poor advancement and high job opportunities
Very friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QCMarch 11, 2016
Ideal for any part-time student job. Management is extremely friendly, flexible and open to employee suggestions. Co-workers are mostly young adults which makes it a very hip and friendly work environment. Downside of this job is that management can't afford to allocate many hours for their employees for the greater part of the year. On the other hand, all employees become full-time employees during the back to school period; it can get pretty crazy at times.
Pros
Very flexible hours, friendly management and coworkers
Cons
Might get bored when there are no customers
Overall good company to work for, poisoned by terrible management at store level
Merchandiser/Aisles Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 7, 2016
Horrible management at the store level. Was told by my GM that I was "never allowed t sell a computer again" because of minor mistakes I made in an area I was never trained instead of offering to train me. Maybe if they actually spent the money to have more sales people in the store I wouldn't get dragged over there. The other manager, divisional sales or something is constantly being sarcastic when I ask him questions or hardly ever listens when I talk to him on the phone. very unprofessional and can't wait to leave.
Pros
Free lunches once in a while, I`ll be able to quit soon
Cons
Treated poorly, un-appreciated, degraded by management, bad pay, horrible hours.
Fun workplace with great staff
Floor Associate/ Copy Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QCSeptember 19, 2015
Very nice and friendly staff. Flexible hours and good management. Managers and supervisors care about the safety and well being of their employees. Comfort and productivity are important to this company.
Pros
Great flexible hours
Cons
Low start off salary
Unpredictable hours, unfair pay, enormous workload, and tons of sales pressure.
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Unrealistic sales expectations and pressure ruin this job. If you're looking for an easy part time sales job, look elsewhere because the amount of sales pressure put upon you is insane. When you fail to meet weekly quotas they cut your hours, and then when you ask for help and you actually have determination to improve there is no one to really help. The pay is unfair because you need to be very well versed with computer hardware (CPU's, clock speeds, RAM frequencies, etc.). If you do not know how to explain computer specs to a customer and explain the benefits of A or B then you will NOT be able to sell, and there is very little to no training on this. And on top of that you need to know HOW to sell, stock shelves, do pull lists, operate stock pickers, and book in computers for repair. The pay is unfair when you realize that the cashier gets paid the exact same as you but they just have to stand there the entire shift while you're overworked and running all over the place all the while your GM asks you "why are your numbers are so low."
Pros
Experience
Cons
Almost everything
Great 10 years, people and culture
Associate Director, Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2016
I loved my 10 years with the company, the people and culture and second to none. We were given full autonomy to implement the corporate and departmental goals.
Pros
People and Culture
Cons
Work life
Great opportunity to move laterally but layoffs are happening now!
ProActive Chat Representative, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSMarch 29, 2016
I worked at Staples from 2010-2014 and held about 4-5 different positions throughout my time. I was really glad I could apply for new positions so that I wouldn't get bored and want to leave. But many managers seemed like they were micro-managing, and overall the atmosphere was pretty negative from coworkers. Not many were happy to be there, many had been there for YEARS, and we were crammed in like sardines. And then they started outsourcing.
Pros
Assigned desks, opportunities to apply for other positions
Cons
Negative coworkers, micro-managing, layoffs in favour of outsourcing
I learned how to use printers on a business level, and got a good knowledge of electronic devices and how they work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCMay 13, 2016
I helped customers find a computer or electronic device that suited their needs. I learned to operate commercial printers, I enjoyed working there and appreciated the management staff. The hardest part of my job was the lifting of heavy printers, the best part of working at Staples was the customers and finding what they were looking for, and being updated on the latest technology.
Pros
Being updated on the latest technology.
Cons
lifting of heavy printers
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 11, 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
If the call center life is for you, it is a decent one
Customer Service Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSAugust 18, 2015
The hardest part is when it is busy, answering call after call, endless ringing in your ear. After 10 years, I need a change but there are many who have 10+ years at this center, for a reason- great benefits.
Pros
Good vacation accrual (2wks from 1-2yrs, 3 weeks for 3-5 yrs and 4 weeks, 5yrs+
Cons
Hard to reduce hours when there is a business need
Time well spent
Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 24, 2016
As management your shifts are 9 hours a day with 2 15min and 1 1/2 hour break, There are 3 shifts per day open, mid and close. Each store deals differently with days off i.e. 2 days off together, weekends off or 2 separate days off. It is great place to work, with good benefits. The staff was great. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the time to learn everything. The best part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
a lot to learn
The day in the life of Staples associates
Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 22, 2015
Engage clientele with a friendly professional demeanor as they entered the store. As a lead in the service department, I ensured customer satisfaction while processing purchases and resolved customer concerns through returns and exchanges. Provided guidance, motivation, and assisted in training and development of new associates while ensuring that tasks were performed with high standards of quality.

One of the most memorable experiences that I learned was how to be oblivious to distractions while multi-tasking.

Management was a team group effort and we had each others back during challenging times.

Co-workers were diverse in both values and beliefs, which brought to our team intellectual diversity

The hardest part of the job was when unhappy customers would leave the store, knowing you had done your best to satisfy their needs. That being said, the most gratifying is when we would solve their concern or issues that lead to loyal clientele following.
Pros
Team support
Cons
standing long hours
Repetitive tasks being asked of.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 12, 2016
Not getting to build too many planograms, and getting stuck to do the same old tasks that might not be that important. Sales days would be approaching and new planograms must be built, but the manager proceeds to make workers work on the regular tasks instead of working on future tasks that will bring prophet to the company.
Pros
Just gained work experience to see how retail runs.
Cons
Called out on breaks, not enough members on the floor to help customers, Confussion between manager and workers
Amazing Work Team and Work Tasks
Technology Sales Representative Area (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QCMay 16, 2016
Typical Day:
- Inventory check and stock
- Proposing complete solutions to customers
- Provide after-sales services
- Configuration of electronic devices and installations of products
- Ability to use the cash register, reimburse and exchange products
- Create financing accounts between Desjardins and Staples for
clients
- A team (collegues and employers) is important - Most enjoyable
Productive Workplace, Hard to get along with staff
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 22, 2016
Overall as a job it's not bad at all, but in my experience the staff members were awful to get along with and they were all very judgmental. I'm younger so that might be why as the part-time staff were very nice, but the older employees seemed to have a thing against younger staff members so I would watch out for that if you are under 30.
Always a happy and positive environment
Technician/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 21, 2016
Working with the great people that I get to really makes the biggest difference and makes the day go by so much better and faster because of it. Production is just better also and with the hardest thing would be dealing with angry customers you can always rely on your peers. I enjoy the customer service aspect of working with staples. Overall you learn a lot of patience which I already had before working there.
Interesting, Different
Technology Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 27, 2016
No day is the same, I am learning so much about interacting with people and the day to day challenges of a business.

Co workers are easily the best part of the job, I enjoy seeing them each and everyday.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with the bureaucracy and unreasonable expectations on everyone.
Fun Work place and good training ground
Cashier, Customer service rep, copy centre assoc (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray abOctober 12, 2015
Needs more training for associate advancement especially those on technical dept. The top management should give full time associate a regular schedule and let others do cross-training to other department. Generally, new management is striving to do more fun activities for career growth and open to suggestions which is good.

The best thing in this job is when they gave me a chance to take exam and being certified as print-pro where I proved to myself and to them that I am their potential employee, unfortunately they will no longer renew tfw so I have to find way/s to look for another employer:)
Pros
free gift cards
Cons
cutting hours
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABDecember 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be, from the time I start my shift, I am on the till all day. I great the customers coming in and leaving. I scan their items, put the items in a bag when needed, complete transactions in cash, debit/credit, hand their receipt and wish them a great day before they leave. Sometimes I would get a customer with a return or exchange and I would gladly help them out. I also offer guidance and assistance with finding certain products or services. I learned a great deal of communication skills, organizational skills and interpersonal skills. The management and co-workers are friendly and they treat everyone like a working family. The hardest part of the job is when it gets really busy and stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and having some fun activities every once in a while.
Pros
fun activities, free food on occasions, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Grumpy customers