Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Survival Job
East Tech Sales (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 25, 2015
Pros: Helping customers, Co-workers, Clean Environment
Cons: Pay, pressure without incentive, physical discomfort, unaffordable benefits, ect...
The company would be a good place to work if they paid employees a livable wage and did not try to manipulate employees by insulting their intelligence.The store I worked at had decent management so it was tolerable. A typical day included running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to serve customers. Be warned there is no clearly defined position at this company. Even the Managers' stock shelves. You will be hired as an Easy Tech but you will end up doing anything and everything. Your feet will hurt a lot from standing all day you will miss breaks and management will pretend they did not notice it. It is best to use this company the same way they use you... for money. This is a good job for people who have no choice, need temporary work or a student. It is not a career by any means.
don't do it!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Greater Toronto Area, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: 99% great customers, decent wages, decent benefits
Cons: The busy season, management
Mississauga is the busiest hub in Canada
You will be moving boxes of paper (50lbs +) ea by the skid load(2000lbs+). Hand delivery. Everyday.
You WILL work until you are finished your route.
You will not find respect until at least a year on the job.
Most of your training is on the run.
Trucks are ALWAYS a problem..YOURS
Busy season is murder!!
I loved working at Staples
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee), Welland, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Kind and flexible. Sunlife benefits (top of the line)
Cons: Few hours available.
Staples in Ontario was my most favorite job ever. I only left because i was getting too little hours, unfortunately. Of course, this will change based on location, but Staples is in my opinion the best place to work in retail if you love working with people
Great Company, Cares about Employee's, Potential for Moving Up
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Laval, QCJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Very little Stress. Flexible Schedule.
Cons: Salary, When doing a closing shift, never leaving when scheduled.
I've worked at Staples part-time for over 6 years. Great company, little stress. Excessive amounts of Interviews to get in, however this insures colleagues are suitable for the job, and pull their own weight.
Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Pros: Career advancemant
Cons: None
I had a great time while I worked there years ago. Excellent benefits and bonuses. More of a small business culture.I was given opportunity to make decisions.
Pretty good place to work!
Technology Salesperson (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Flexible; benefits; management; atmosphere; events
Cons: Pay (Minimum wage)
Staples was very kind to me during my stay with them. They were willing to work with your schedule as long as it was reasonable. For the position I was working I was paid minimum wage however that was to be expected. Employees are given benefits even if only working part time. The job security wasn't fantastic however as the other store in town was forced to close due to financial pressure. The management addressed concerns I had about different aspects of the job and were generally clear in their expectations. The other employees were willing to give guidance on various procedures which was a great help. There was a slight bit of drama I was annoyed by but it didn't affect me directly so I can't complain too much about that. All in all, probably one of the better retail jobs out there.
Only work here if you have to.
Administrative Specialist / Copy Lead (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2015
Pros: Basic benefits
Cons: I could write a book.
Retail...management was unprofessional, often bordering on harassment despite company training- poisoned work environment. Pay was horrible and didn't keep up with inflation. They don't give out good reviews to anyone because they don't want to pay you the extra 25 cents it would entail. Hard to leave on time because of bag checks that you might have to wait 20 minutes or more for. I loved the work, worked hard, did my time, but was relieved to leave.
Good Company, hard to advance far in career
Associate Category Manager (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONOctober 23, 2015
It is a great company to work for. Great benefits, good hours and a great management team. Hard to advance though, since many of the managers have been here long term and are comfortable in their positions. Usually only opportunity for advancement is when someone quits / they expand departments.

Overall, not a bad experience. Happy to work here.
Great place to work in and great company values
BDM Copy & Print (Current Employee), Golden HorseshoeDecember 2, 2015
Staples is a great place to work in. The company gives back to the community by taking part in raise fund events. It also helps out people with special needs by preparing them for the workforce.
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: excellent staff, excellent service
Cons: long hours
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Mainly worked alone to complete a variety of tasks and customer orders. Time efficiency and organization is key for success in this position.
Copy Centre Associate (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: Supportive co-workers
Cons: Very little room for advancement
Copy Centre associate working both alone and in a group, involved in a wide variety of tasks. As a copy centre associate, I was expected to complete orders involved in copying, printing, cutting, and laminating as well as working with a variety of computer software programs to design, edit, and produce customer orders. The management at Staples preferred one associate to work in the copy centre at a time, allowing me to really develop skills in organization and time efficiency as I completed all tasks and customer orders while still attending the cash register. Also had shifts as a cashier in other areas of the store and covering breaks, which involved communication and cooperation with co-workers.
It's a fun place to work at if you are a Student that is
Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2015
Pros: flexibility and great associate staff
Cons: poor advancement and high job opportunities
great flexible work schedules
very little job advancement possibilities

majority of store associates working full time hours but with a Part Time titles so that they are not entitled to full benefits

great for students though
Fun workplace with great staff
Floor Associate/ Copy Center Associate (Former Employee), Lasalle, QCSeptember 19, 2015
Pros: Great flexible hours
Cons: Low start off salary
Very nice and friendly staff. Flexible hours and good management. Managers and supervisors care about the safety and well being of their employees. Comfort and productivity are important to this company.
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons: No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Not bad
Copy Centre (Current Employee), Sudbury, ONMarch 29, 2016
Pros: Quarterly fun and games day, occasional free lunches and coffee.
Cons: Stressed managers, not a lot of hours to give to workers but yet three times the amount of work for each person.
It has been a great learning experience working at Staples. It is definitely a more demanding retail chain. This is definitely not a job where you walk in expecting to just walk around and get paid to do nothing. They expect high quality service out of each employee, which I pride myself on. There is continuous training that you go through to keep improving yourself as an employee.
Things are changing quite quickly right now and not necessarily for the best. Management is constantly stressed which can be a hard thing to deal with. Most of the co-worker are really good people. Uplifting, funny loving and just all around nice people with a few exceptions.
Fast paced, learning environment
Aisles/Computers Associate (Former Employee), Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
Cons: "Sh-t runs down hill. You're at the bottom."
Aisles and Computers offer both stability in hours and constant movement. Goals and quotas get you to push yourself to strive for better. I learned operating programs (Windows 7, 8, 10) along with vital omputer information (ram, processor, hard drive, etc) and had an opportunity to learn about Apple products. Grasped the understanding of front facing products, up-selling, and inventory management. Most people I worked with were easy going, and very work oriented while maintaining a healthy, active personal schedule.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with quotas, which were set by the previous year's completion per week. The most enjoyable part was the fact that it was a safe, reliable and trusting environment with a great staff and management team.
If the call center life is for you, it is a decent one
Customer Service Help Desk Associate (Current Employee), Lower Sackville, NSAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Good vacation accrual (2wks from 1-2yrs, 3 weeks for 3-5 yrs and 4 weeks, 5yrs+
Cons: Hard to reduce hours when there is a business need
The hardest part is when it is busy, answering call after call, endless ringing in your ear. After 10 years, I need a change but there are many who have 10+ years at this center, for a reason- great benefits.
Overall good company to work for, poisoned by terrible management at store level
Merchandiser/Aisles Associate (Current Employee), New Minas, NSFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: Free lunches once in a while, I`ll be able to quit soon
Cons: Treated poorly, un-appreciated, degraded by management, bad pay, horrible hours.
Horrible management at the store level. Was told by my GM that I was "never allowed t sell a computer again" because of minor mistakes I made in an area I was never trained instead of offering to train me. Maybe if they actually spent the money to have more sales people in the store I wouldn't get dragged over there. The other manager, divisional sales or something is constantly being sarcastic when I ask him questions or hardly ever listens when I talk to him on the phone. very unprofessional and can't wait to leave.
The day in the life of Staples associates
Service Lead (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Team support
Cons: standing long hours
Engage clientele with a friendly professional demeanor as they entered the store. As a lead in the service department, I ensured customer satisfaction while processing purchases and resolved customer concerns through returns and exchanges. Provided guidance, motivation, and assisted in training and development of new associates while ensuring that tasks were performed with high standards of quality.

One of the most memorable experiences that I learned was how to be oblivious to distractions while multi-tasking.

Management was a team group effort and we had each others back during challenging times.

Co-workers were diverse in both values and beliefs, which brought to our team intellectual diversity

The hardest part of the job was when unhappy customers would leave the store, knowing you had done your best to satisfy their needs. That being said, the most gratifying is when we would solve their concern or issues that lead to loyal clientele following.
Wondeful staff, extremely fair company, fantastic ethics
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Milton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Fun days, amazing management, kind staff
Cons: Low hours, not much advancement
Excellent management, very fair work conditions, and absolutely positive working environment. The CEO has amazing morals and truly treats all his employees, both part-time and full-time, with utmost respect. My only wish is if advancement was easier to do, however, I will not give up.
Employees