4K reviews

Staples Employee Reviews

Fun place to work but like most workplaces fake
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2013
I like my co-workers. If it wasn't for them I don't think I would still be there. When work is slow its nice to have a joke with them and chat. When it's busy - too busy. Well then that's when this job sucks. They make you work 44 hours because they can. Don't even asks if we
want to, because they don't have to.

Advancement is OK if you apply they will consider you, but they do play favorites.Which if you are a good worker and good at what you do, it means you stay in that position while the noobs move on.

If customer service is something you want to get into then this job is a great test. The customer's think you are their slave - call you for things they can find out themselves with a little Google search or reading the first page of the product manual. You also have the veterans who know the deal. They are prepared - in and out in less then 5mins, they are friendly. you'd be surprised how many people call and are rude FOR NO REASON. You get the bimbo chick you sounds like she's in her early to mid 20's and acts like she owns you. Like their day isn't going so well so yours shouldn't either.

My biggest peeve. If your 1 minute late your late and you will hear about it.

Overall, if its not too busy its a nice place to work, nice people who at least pretend to care and that makes the work day go by fast.
Pros
free lunch on occasions, good benifits, good discount, good customers
Cons
customers who are rude just 'cause, management has favourites
Your normal retail cashier job
Copy / Print and Cash Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJune 5, 2013
Depending on the shift, I would be in either Cash or Print Center. I greet any customer help the find the items or take their Print orders. Help cash out any customers or help with any returns. I finish any daily paper work and help where ever needed.

I have learned a lot about interacting with customers both the good and the bad, how important to keep on daily tasks and how quickly those tasks can "snowball" if not done.

While the majority of the staff and management are easy going and helpful, it is very hard to "move up" if you are not personally friends with the Store Manager. (this may be only at my location)

I have been told by a number of associates why or why not a person is promoted (or over looked) biased on the personal feelings of the Store Manager and not the merits of their work. Also, part-time hours are not divided among the associates equally, but also biased on the favoritism of the Store Manager. There are usually 2 part-time associates with 35 hours, and the rest with 8 - 10 per week.

The hardest about the job is being understaffed in the Print Center. There will be a 12 person line-up and not one person can help you, because not everyone (even the MOD's) are trained in the Print Center.

However, despite the Store Manager and a few select associates, the rest make a very enjoyable place to work. We can laugh and have fun all while working and helping customers, and I believe that makes the customer more relaxed to shop when they know everyone around them are having a good time.
Pros
friendly people, asosicate discount
Cons
underpayied amount and responsiblity ecxpected of print assosicates, not enough hours
Staples
Sales Support and Merchandise supervisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioApril 30, 2015
This was a great company but unfortunately they are now fish out of water. Another words they are a company that has flat lined with sales a while ago and as a result have no idea anymore what they stand for, where they are going or what they really want to market as "there business." Every other week they try new product that for the most part ends up sitting there till it clearances it out for almost nothing. In order to maximise what sales they are getting, they have eliminated between 40-60 percent of there staff depending on the store you work in and yet still expect the same results. You get higher managers that feel if you plan enough anyone can do the impossible. If it looks goo and plausible on paper then why not in realty is there thinking, unfortunately the 2 really are quite different. This has lead to high turn over and lots even from home office jumping ship every other week. The last while they have started what to most appear like the start of replacing managers with supervisors both at the stores and head office, so they can have someone doing the job at a lot less money. Add to the mix they push more sales online but return in store, so it looks to investors as though there internet is doing so much better then the stores.
Pros
Not bad pay for retail, nice benefits
Cons
unreal expectation, over worked
Extremely pleasant place to work. Casual days, Lunch on pay-day.
Computer Sales/Copy Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJuly 10, 2012
Most of the day as a computer sales associate is spent speaking with customers about the products at the store. A customer will come in looking for something and you will take them over to it and explain what it is, compared to the others that are on the shelf. The whole point is to inform them so that the customer can choose the item they want. Also it involves cleaning up around the floor, facing items at the end of the day. You will also need to get the heavier items from the back or front lock-ups for customers if they choose computers or monitors or printers. This also means that if a product is missing, you can substitute shipping an item in from another store in the district.

As a Copy and Print Centre Associate, you are required to fill orders for customers who need things copied and laminated or bound. Also filling out order forms for the copy and if customers want stamps made, ensuring that those orders are placed and sent out. It is also a requirement to call the customer to tell them that there order is ready. The Copy Centre is a lot more fast paced than the computer department, and you do have to deal with people who can try to assert themselves so their order gets done first. It is a little more pressure, but if you can handle that then its not so bad.
Pros
free lunches, casual days every second friday, variety of work, free coffee if you were on an early shift sometimes.
Productive, enjoyable, business environment
Customer Service, Aisles, and Furniture Associate (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON, and Hamilton, ONSeptember 29, 2015
A typical day involves greeting customers, assisting them with any needs, and contributing to a team environment. This includes many tasks such as welcoming a customer with a warm smile as they enter the store, answering any questions they may have about any products or services, and putting through purchases, returned, and exchanges.

I have learned that there are two different types of customers. The first being a customer who knows exactly what they are looking for when they enter the store. Whether this be a specific product or a particular feel of the environment, such as buying a printer. The other is a customer who is not quite sure what they are looking for and typically seeks guidance, such as looking for supplies for a school project. With this information, and with careful consideration, helping each customer is a different and unique experience.

Working as a team is an important part of business success.It begins with a good management team. They influence their workers and environment. They help shape a good or bad day. The co-workers add to a good or bad experience. This may vary due to the variety of personalities. Overall, the Staples team was great with customer service and a fun environment.

The most difficult part of the job is hard to pinpoint. Many people do not enjoy working in a retail position, however, working at a Staples is more than retail, it's helping people better their business. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting customers. Especially when we, as a Staples team, can help them with all of their needs and they at 100% satisfied.
Pros
Comfortable setting, upbeat employees, business essentials
Cons
Inconsistant hours
Needs better management
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 7, 2014
I was hired as a seasonal employee for the back-to-school period with the potential to be hired on as a permanent part-time.

I worked hard despite the hectic working conditions (customers are livid during the back to school season) and when my contract with the company was nearing an end they told me that despite enjoying my work ethic they weren't keeping me. I found this interesting as they decided to keep two girls (one who was indeed a hard worker, and another who rarely every put in an effort during her shift) but I dusted myself off and started looking for a more permanent position elsewhere.

Then, literally a week after my final shift at the store I got a call from one of the managers asking me irritatedly through a voicemail where I was and why I hadn't shown up for my shift that week. I was stunned. They specifically had instructed me on which day was my last with the company and yet had continued to shift me despite my discontinued employment? Bad management. Very, very bad management. If you continue to shift seasonal employees past their final day last I checked you should probably inform them. Lack of communication is terrible management. I would not recommend anyone to take on a seasonal position here.
Cons
bad management, lack of team player enviornment, hectic customer service
Technology Consultant
Senior Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2014
On the Daily bases my job is to make sure everyone takes their breaks on time, make sure we are reaching our sales targets daily, greeting every customer that walks in to the store, always providing excellent customer service and making sure the customer walks out with everything they need.
Being a Technology Consultant, I train new employees and help anyone that has any problems either with selling, finding information about certain products or simply just not being sure how to approach a certain situation.
I've learned that are always different types of managers at work, some who will strive to succeed, while some might be comfortable at where they are. But no matter what, if one wants to be able to succeed in the business world, they must be able to go step out of their comfort zone and reach for the stars.
There are many things one can learn from working with others, but one of the things I've learned from my co-workers is, treat others how you want to be treated. The hardest part of my job? Not being able to work as much as I want because of school. Making long lasting relationship with the customers would be something that's awesome because once you earn their trust and loyalty, they will forever be your customer.
Pros
great organization to be a part of
Cons
salary
staples business depot
Sales Associate/customerservice rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2013
im the one whos always singing ...out of key but singing none the less,a typical day at work its rather quiet unless its back to school,ill cash out or do returns for a lot of pleasnt customers or very upset rude customers but i am a very positive person so why not give them a smile warm there heart a little,if u respect while someones being rude thats your battle won,ive learnt that it doesnt take much to put your self oout there and be your self which most of my associate are i think to worried that someones going to say oh look at her or dont do that im myself all the time at staples my bosses love me for it,my co workes are sweet mellow but sweet the hardest part of my job learning copy which i still im every chance i get not becasue im suppose to becausae i want to.the most enjoyable part of my job doing isles i jus amin my own world helping customers,singin and dancing down isles while restocking
Pros
free lunches, games to win gift cards, wonderful bosses
Cons
short hours, minimum wage
Challenging place to work. Able to watch movies in the lunchroom during lunch breaks.
Receiver (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMarch 24, 2014
Typical day for me at Staples, take the garbage down to the loading dock area, usually 3 trips as cardboard had to be separate from the garbage. Answer phones from clients looking for on-line orders, greet drivers with incoming shipments, filing, maintaining a clean warehouse, to secure all cages end of the day.
Learned to have a lot of patience with unpleasant drivers, screaming customers looking for orders.
My direct manager always helpful, understanding, allowed me to handle things for my own dept.
Did not have a big opportunity to mingle with co-workers as I was separated from the store, but did have some great friends upon leaving.
There was not anything hard about my position I could not handle without thinking about it first.
Most enjoyable part of the job, having all the merchandise ready to go the floor at the end of the day, usually met all deadlines, with exception of heavy days of delivery. Helping customers with their orders, having the friends I do.
Pros
very little supervision, being trusted, having a day off if needed without any questions.
Cons
dealing with the garbage, having to pay to park
Staples was a fun place o work and had a very good management team and great associates to work with
Aisles lead (Former Employee) –  Guelph ONJune 19, 2013
I would open the store with about and for the first couple of hours put stock up clean each aisle and start and complete plannograms for different parts of the store. After lunch i would help the furniture associate with moving heavy boxes like desks and chairs around for display and help customers for the rest of the day. I was also a backup reciever and was trained on the forklift. Managment was great they always got me what i needed for the store as soon as they could. My co-workers were a lot of fun to work with we always made eachother laugh and i never had a problem with any of them, The hardest part of the job was having to deal with the odd customer who came in a bad mood and would be rude but i always helped them out hand had them leaving happy. The best part of the job would just be making people happy when they come into the store with no clue what there looking for and you help them find exactly what they needed and they left happy.
Pros
good team to work with
Cons
short on staff
Interesting place to work, business/school retail primarily.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCDecember 11, 2014
A typical day at Staples, was stocking merchandise, changing SKU and barcode labels, maintenance as well as cleaning and sweeping, promoting sales and merchandise, providing customer service, and performing carry outs.

I learned much about how retail works and how to read SKU labels, how to merchandise and inform customers of deals and sales. And how to stock shelves, although that was relatively easy to learn.

The management was very formal, but good to work for, they were helpful and supervised accordingly.

The co-workers were helpful and communicative, and often we would help each other in areas, and assisted each other.

The hardest part was changing the store layout for seasonal or back to school times, we shifted around entire store sections, and sales days were often busy.
Pros
good hours, worked at a good pace and rarely got swamped with too much to do
Cons
was eventually laid off due to over-staffing along with other various employees, they hired on too many people when i joined
Fun place to work with good people
Tech Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 26, 2013
There is no regular typical day on this job as you deal with people from all works of life. My day start with departmental meeting, here the day's sale target is given, conducts shelves walk-over for proper display of products and prices.

On this job I learned that in Customer Service team work is very important as you need each other to rely on. Apart from very hard customer to deal with, my job is very easy as often determine what my customers would requires as their needs and do provide them with consice to make their visit a remarkable one.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to the customer back at the store with laughter and to show appreciation for the assistance received during the last visit and more importantly, for such customer to request for you or call you by name, thus developed relationship and trust.
Pros
encouraged by management by providing snacks or lunch whenever the target is reached or achieved.
Cons
walking around the store and runnig to and from the warehouse.
The day in the life of Staples associates
Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 22, 2015
Engage clientele with a friendly professional demeanor as they entered the store. As a lead in the service department, I ensured customer satisfaction while processing purchases and resolved customer concerns through returns and exchanges. Provided guidance, motivation, and assisted in training and development of new associates while ensuring that tasks were performed with high standards of quality.

One of the most memorable experiences that I learned was how to be oblivious to distractions while multi-tasking.

Management was a team group effort and we had each others back during challenging times.

Co-workers were diverse in both values and beliefs, which brought to our team intellectual diversity

The hardest part of the job was when unhappy customers would leave the store, knowing you had done your best to satisfy their needs. That being said, the most gratifying is when we would solve their concern or issues that lead to loyal clientele following.
Pros
Team support
Cons
standing long hours
Nice place to work. the staff was helpful and the store was very organize.
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Brampton, OntarioSeptember 28, 2014
My typical work day sometimes included:
• Cleaning/Dusting - Cleaning display cases, shelves, and cleaning up the aisles.
• Organization - Displaying of merchandise on shelves, counters, or tables to attract customers and promote sales.
• Customer Service - Answer customers' questions about merchandise and assistance customers on merchandise selection and prices.
• Receiving – opening and unpacking sales floor merchandise.
• Stocking shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with new merchandise.
• Stamp, attach, and change price tags on merchandise while referring to price list.
• Shrink wrapping items for customer who are have order delivered.
My co-workers and management staff were great. I looked forward to working because the environment was productive but at the same time comfortable. The most important think I learn was customer interaction. This was exciting to help people on a different level than volunteering which was all I was use to.
Pros
proximity to home, customer service process and staff members were very helpful.
Cons
hoping to have gotten hired on.
Good for a first Job...but thats it.
Associate Technician (Former Employee) –  ABMay 30, 2014
Worked here for about a year as the associate tech.
Was promised to be promoted if I could help bring in a certain cash flow of tech money each week. (repairs, cleanings, diagnostics etc).

Yet the managers did nothing to help. They always offered deals and undercut the actual prices so I was actually doing more work for less.

At my 3 month review I was given excuses as to why I did not get a raise even though I battled every day in that place to bring in as much as i could.

When a new manager took over the tech department i finally got a raise at my next review. About 15 cents! Basically a slap in the face.

Otherwise the people were great, made some good friends and i give them credit because I got a lot of hands on experience with PC Repair.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
managers
Pretty good place to work!
Technology Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 12, 2015
Staples was very kind to me during my stay with them. They were willing to work with your schedule as long as it was reasonable. For the position I was working I was paid minimum wage however that was to be expected. Employees are given benefits even if only working part time. The job security wasn't fantastic however as the other store in town was forced to close due to financial pressure. The management addressed concerns I had about different aspects of the job and were generally clear in their expectations. The other employees were willing to give guidance on various procedures which was a great help. There was a slight bit of drama I was annoyed by but it didn't affect me directly so I can't complain too much about that. All in all, probably one of the better retail jobs out there.
Pros
Flexible; benefits; management; atmosphere; events
Cons
Pay (Minimum wage)
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 3, 2013
I was working as Client Services Rep, At Saples i was Multitasker i worked as Copy center rep print copies ,design business card, wedding cards calendar's custom made stamps, binding copies made flyer, banners, poster it was very functional job + handling cash register dealing with 30 to 50 clients in day every client has a different type of requirement i make sure we met client requirement in minimum time period&takecare quality standard + i worked administrativeAssistance back office assigned tills to cashier , closed all cash register review all transcations and filed all paper work report to Manager.
My manager& General manager was very fond of me i still missing to work there i dont even remember the hardest moment but most enjoyable moment when they did surprised Baby Shower for me it was most enjoyable unforgetable moment.
Pros
comfortable, ease
Cons
nothing really
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABDecember 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be, from the time I start my shift, I am on the till all day. I great the customers coming in and leaving. I scan their items, put the items in a bag when needed, complete transactions in cash, debit/credit, hand their receipt and wish them a great day before they leave. Sometimes I would get a customer with a return or exchange and I would gladly help them out. I also offer guidance and assistance with finding certain products or services. I learned a great deal of communication skills, organizational skills and interpersonal skills. The management and co-workers are friendly and they treat everyone like a working family. The hardest part of the job is when it gets really busy and stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and having some fun activities every once in a while.
Pros
fun activities, free food on occasions, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Grumpy customers
Great people to work with
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  London, ONTAugust 30, 2013
My day starts with checking the sales of the previous day, setting my goals and planning to achieve them. Then review the notes left from the previous technician to continue where he left off. I would focus on the work on my bench and get through required data wipes from returned items and cover sales floor breaks when needed.
I've learned to manage my time and to set goals for the day. Management is very respectable and help me implement new ideas and test out new strategies.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with customers who refuse to accept what I am explaining to them. It is important to keep calm and not take anything personally as they are not frustrated with me but with the current situation.
The most enjoyable part is pleasing customers. When they are truly grateful for my help it makes everything worth it.
Pros
freedom to try new ideas.
Cons
low starting pay rate
professional as well as friendly environment. Its like a home away from home.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, Saskatchewan, CanadaFebruary 9, 2013
Receiving incoming calls and resolving customer's issues if any, Placing orders over the phone and informing them about the delivery date and time frame. Processing return or exchange, etc.
It was a very friendly environment. Management were very helpful. Its a home away from home.
Sometimes if the delivery was not made on time then the customer used to call in anger which was the hardest part of the call. had to calm the customer and understanding his anger by keeping ourself at their place. Giving him the reason for the delay and compensating by giving them a gift voucher/discount card which can be used in their next order.
The most enjoyable and happy part is when customer hangs up happily after his needs/issues had been addressed fruitfully.
Pros
free munches, foods every fortnight.
Cons
10 hrs shift.