Staples Employee Reviews

Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 11, 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay
Supportive and high energy workplace
Technology Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 11, 2016
I enjoy working for Staples. My management team is extremely supportive and encourages employees to grow every day. I strived to to take on a leadership role and the management team coached me into the role of Technology Consultant. I am pleased to say that with their help I learned to be a stronger leader than ever before. I enjoy communicating with customers and ensuring they leave the store with a total solution. The hardest part of the job is handling unhappy and impatient customers who can sometimes direct their anger towards you as the associate. I have learned to avoid taking it as a personal attack and try to provide the best service possible.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Unhappy customers
Happy, high spirited, knowledgeable
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONJuly 23, 2016
All of the staff and management are happy, high spirited, knowledgeable people and the customers highly appreciate us for it.
There are lots of opportunity for advancements, which were made very clear in the orientation process, while naming many people who had advancements. Management is absolutely phenomenal and supportive and are well aware of what is going on in every area of the store and are always more than happy to step in when assistance is needed.
Pros
Paid breaks. Great co-workers and management. Happy customers.
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 11, 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
Excellent Sales Experience.
Technology Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJune 10, 2016
Achieve sales target on weekly basis help in gaining new sales experience.
Analyze customer needs, suggesting the ideal products that meet their requirements whilst cross selling insurance products to customers.
Customer-focused communicator with proven ability to understand and covey complex product information, develop rapport, build strong relationships with customers, and deliver high-impact sales presentations
Maximize sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
Wonderful People, Wonderful Place, Wonderful Environment
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 7, 2016
My amazing management at Staples always does their best to work with you and your schedule. They are very understanding and accommodating when they work with you. And they always strive to create an enjoyable work experience and environment for everyone, they want everyone to be happy and comfortable.
Coworkers are always very kind and happy, we easily welcome others into the family and love to chat when we have the time, both on and off the job. We really get to know each other and that makes the Christmas and Summer BBQ the best and most fun experience.
Productive Workplace, Hard to get along with staff
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 22, 2016
Overall as a job it's not bad at all, but in my experience the staff members were awful to get along with and they were all very judgmental. I'm younger so that might be why as the part-time staff were very nice, but the older employees seemed to have a thing against younger staff members so I would watch out for that if you are under 30.
Time well spent
Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 24, 2016
As management your shifts are 9 hours a day with 2 15min and 1 1/2 hour break, There are 3 shifts per day open, mid and close. Each store deals differently with days off i.e. 2 days off together, weekends off or 2 separate days off. It is great place to work, with good benefits. The staff was great. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the time to learn everything. The best part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
a lot to learn
Interesting, Different
Technology Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 27, 2016
No day is the same, I am learning so much about interacting with people and the day to day challenges of a business.

Co workers are easily the best part of the job, I enjoy seeing them each and everyday.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with the bureaucracy and unreasonable expectations on everyone.
High rotation of staff
Préposée au service à la clientèle/caissière (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QCAugust 9, 2016
It's a fair place to work. Employees are young and a lot of part time staff. Team work is promoted but not necessarily applied.. As most retail stores, lots of tagging to do and constant changes and rotations in the store. All in all it's an ok place.
Pros
continuous training
Cons
too much promotion
Amazing Work Team and Work Tasks
Technology Sales Representative Area (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QCMay 16, 2016
Typical Day:
- Inventory check and stock
- Proposing complete solutions to customers
- Provide after-sales services
- Configuration of electronic devices and installations of products
- Ability to use the cash register, reimburse and exchange products
- Create financing accounts between Desjardins and Staples for
clients
- A team (collegues and employers) is important - Most enjoyable
I learned how to use printers on a business level, and got a good knowledge of electronic devices and how they work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCMay 13, 2016
I helped customers find a computer or electronic device that suited their needs. I learned to operate commercial printers, I enjoyed working there and appreciated the management staff. The hardest part of my job was the lifting of heavy printers, the best part of working at Staples was the customers and finding what they were looking for, and being updated on the latest technology.
Pros
Being updated on the latest technology.
Cons
lifting of heavy printers
fun, challenging work, poor management
Computer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves and approaching potential customers. There is much to be learned in regards to technology, computers and printers. The management is a tricky situation. Most of the managers are very easy going, making for a very comfortable workplace environment. However, two of the managers, who happen to be higher up, can be very discouraging at times, making for a very uneasy, up tight and uncomfortable workplace environment. The hardest part of the job is living up to these managers' expectations, being that no matter how hard you try or how well you perform, there will seldom be any recognition of achievement and always plenty of "areas of opportunity".
co worker is productive.
Overnight Stocker Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 9, 2016
with the new supervision, they don't care about what is happening in the store. they don't know how to appreciate the hardwork and no appreciation nor recognition for their night team. they talk to much without and pretend that they do something. like what the upper management, they focus on their mobile rather than attending the needs of the customers.
Always a happy and positive environment
Technician/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 21, 2016
Working with the great people that I get to really makes the biggest difference and makes the day go by so much better and faster because of it. Production is just better also and with the hardest thing would be dealing with angry customers you can always rely on your peers. I enjoy the customer service aspect of working with staples. Overall you learn a lot of patience which I already had before working there.
productive and Friendliness workplace
Co-op Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 21, 2016
I have successfully completed my Co-op at Staples Canada, Barrie as a supporting technician in Easy Tech department. My roles and responsibilities were to do full computer setup, configuration, maintenance, complete care, Data backup and migration, Data wipe as well as customer service.

It was really a great opportunity for me to work in Staples Canada - Easy Tech department under the guidance of Service Manager, Senior Technicians and staff. I have gained a great technical knowledge and experience as well. I really appreciate their throughout help and support given during Co-op duration. I am also thankful to Staples Canada for giving me such a exiting opportunity.
Pros
good work experience
Cons
No job oppertunities for voluntieer students
Do stock, prices and help clients.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
I work on the floor so when there is stock for the night I have to finish it, if there is no stock or I finish it before my shift I have to fill the isles. While I'm doing my tasks I help out clients at the same time, most of time I sell chairs to clients. At the end of my shift when I work at night I have to do price changes if theres any.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
small shifts
good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 12, 2016
I love my job at staples , but it has come to light that i wont be going full time with them as it is not in their budget and i need full time employment . what i love about staples is the costumer interaction , i try to get a smile out of everyone that comes in as i am a very happy person .
Great learning opportunity for people with tech background.
Assistant Technician (Temporary Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to learn and experience retail and better you're communication skills. Also teaches you about different technologies. Staples is a great place if you have a tech background.
Pros
Improve communication skills and technical skills.
Cons
Negative customers/consumers
Repetitive tasks being asked of.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 12, 2016
Not getting to build too many planograms, and getting stuck to do the same old tasks that might not be that important. Sales days would be approaching and new planograms must be built, but the manager proceeds to make workers work on the regular tasks instead of working on future tasks that will bring prophet to the company.
Pros
Just gained work experience to see how retail runs.
Cons
Called out on breaks, not enough members on the floor to help customers, Confussion between manager and workers