Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Repetitive tasks being asked of.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 12, 2016
Pros: Just gained work experience to see how retail runs.
Cons: Called out on breaks, not enough members on the floor to help customers, Confussion between manager and workers
Not getting to build too many planograms, and getting stuck to do the same old tasks that might not be that important. Sales days would be approaching and new planograms must be built, but the manager proceeds to make workers work on the regular tasks instead of working on future tasks that will bring prophet to the company.
Great opportunity to move laterally but layoffs are happening now!
ProActive Chat Representative, Full-time (Former Employee), Lower Sackville, NSMarch 29, 2016
Pros: Assigned desks, opportunities to apply for other positions
Cons: Negative coworkers, micro-managing, layoffs in favour of outsourcing
I worked at Staples from 2010-2014 and held about 4-5 different positions throughout my time. I was really glad I could apply for new positions so that I wouldn't get bored and want to leave. But many managers seemed like they were micro-managing, and overall the atmosphere was pretty negative from coworkers. Not many were happy to be there, many had been there for YEARS, and we were crammed in like sardines. And then they started outsourcing.
Always a happy and positive environment
Technician/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Windsor, ONApril 21, 2016
Working with the great people that I get to really makes the biggest difference and makes the day go by so much better and faster because of it. Production is just better also and with the hardest thing would be dealing with angry customers you can always rely on your peers. I enjoy the customer service aspect of working with staples. Overall you learn a lot of patience which I already had before working there.
fun, challenging work, poor management
Computer Sales (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves and approaching potential customers. There is much to be learned in regards to technology, computers and printers. The management is a tricky situation. Most of the managers are very easy going, making for a very comfortable workplace environment. However, two of the managers, who happen to be higher up, can be very discouraging at times, making for a very uneasy, up tight and uncomfortable workplace environment. The hardest part of the job is living up to these managers' expectations, being that no matter how hard you try or how well you perform, there will seldom be any recognition of achievement and always plenty of "areas of opportunity".
Gave a very memorable entrance to the working world
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Location (the centre of Heartland)
Cons: Back-to-school season
My co-workers were the most welcoming group of people, it made me feel very comfortable especially since it was my first job. Management was good as well, trying to accommodate to your life's schedule. I learned a lot about how to deal with the many different kinds of customers, but overall gained a lot of skill in communicating with everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts, as I was employed the month before school started. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the many different products the store sold.
Very friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Lasalle, QCMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Very flexible hours, friendly management and coworkers
Cons: Might get bored when there are no customers
Ideal for any part-time student job. Management is extremely friendly, flexible and open to employee suggestions. Co-workers are mostly young adults which makes it a very hip and friendly work environment. Downside of this job is that management can't afford to allocate many hours for their employees for the greater part of the year. On the other hand, all employees become full-time employees during the back to school period; it can get pretty crazy at times.
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons: No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Overall good company to work for, poisoned by terrible management at store level
Merchandiser/Aisles Associate (Current Employee), New Minas, NSFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: Free lunches once in a while, I`ll be able to quit soon
Cons: Treated poorly, un-appreciated, degraded by management, bad pay, horrible hours.
Horrible management at the store level. Was told by my GM that I was "never allowed t sell a computer again" because of minor mistakes I made in an area I was never trained instead of offering to train me. Maybe if they actually spent the money to have more sales people in the store I wouldn't get dragged over there. The other manager, divisional sales or something is constantly being sarcastic when I ask him questions or hardly ever listens when I talk to him on the phone. very unprofessional and can't wait to leave.
good light hearted evironment
Technology sales Consultant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2016
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: poor wages, and poor staff loyalty from the superiors
not the best place for perminant work, and isnt made easy to live off the wages they pay. im disappointed that they dont know how to treat their loyal staff with any sort of respect, and are willing to destroy peoples lives by cutting hours way back with little to no notice.
Wondeful staff, extremely fair company, fantastic ethics
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Milton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Fun days, amazing management, kind staff
Cons: Low hours, not much advancement
Excellent management, very fair work conditions, and absolutely positive working environment. The CEO has amazing morals and truly treats all his employees, both part-time and full-time, with utmost respect. My only wish is if advancement was easier to do, however, I will not give up.
Not bad
Copy Centre (Current Employee), Sudbury, ONMarch 29, 2016
Pros: Quarterly fun and games day, occasional free lunches and coffee.
Cons: Stressed managers, not a lot of hours to give to workers but yet three times the amount of work for each person.
It has been a great learning experience working at Staples. It is definitely a more demanding retail chain. This is definitely not a job where you walk in expecting to just walk around and get paid to do nothing. They expect high quality service out of each employee, which I pride myself on. There is continuous training that you go through to keep improving yourself as an employee.
Things are changing quite quickly right now and not necessarily for the best. Management is constantly stressed which can be a hard thing to deal with. Most of the co-worker are really good people. Uplifting, funny loving and just all around nice people with a few exceptions.
3.5 out of 5
Services supervisor (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKFebruary 21, 2016
Pros: great team, good hours
Cons: shifts allways changing, manager didnt like me, not sure why.
busy days, long shifts, management was always good to listen and help. hardest part of the job was how my general manager volintold me to do a lot of things like raffles and setting up events which is fine, But when i have told them i have enough to do and explained what i had to do the just shrugged and said that sucks.
don't do it!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Greater Toronto Area, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: 99% great customers, decent wages, decent benefits
Cons: The busy season, management
Mississauga is the busiest hub in Canada
You will be moving boxes of paper (50lbs +) ea by the skid load(2000lbs+). Hand delivery. Everyday.
You WILL work until you are finished your route.
You will not find respect until at least a year on the job.
Most of your training is on the run.
Trucks are ALWAYS a problem..YOURS
Busy season is murder!!
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: excellent staff, excellent service
Cons: long hours
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Fast paced, learning environment
Aisles/Computers Associate (Former Employee), Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
Cons: "Sh-t runs down hill. You're at the bottom."
Aisles and Computers offer both stability in hours and constant movement. Goals and quotas get you to push yourself to strive for better. I learned operating programs (Windows 7, 8, 10) along with vital omputer information (ram, processor, hard drive, etc) and had an opportunity to learn about Apple products. Grasped the understanding of front facing products, up-selling, and inventory management. Most people I worked with were easy going, and very work oriented while maintaining a healthy, active personal schedule.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with quotas, which were set by the previous year's completion per week. The most enjoyable part was the fact that it was a safe, reliable and trusting environment with a great staff and management team.
I loved working at Staples
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee), Welland, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Kind and flexible. Sunlife benefits (top of the line)
Cons: Few hours available.
Staples in Ontario was my most favorite job ever. I only left because i was getting too little hours, unfortunately. Of course, this will change based on location, but Staples is in my opinion the best place to work in retail if you love working with people
Productive,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 13, 2016
very productive, l learned that patience goes very far. mangement is very approachable. I enjoy going to work, seeing my co-workers they are like family. Home away from home. hardest part of my job is when you can't make everyone happy, although you try. Most enjoyable is when you make your customers happy and they leave satisfied.
Not a perfect decoration
Print Consultant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 6, 2016
I beleive customers need to feel more comfortable and enjoy staying at stores, that's where companies get more benefit, more traffic inside store and more minutes people stay in stores.
At staples i think a warmer decoration with more interactive concept will get customers stay more minutes and enjoy shopping.
Exciting work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 29, 2016
A work day would start out by checking if products were in correct aisles. Management was great I learned a lot through them from dealing with certain products for certain customers, working with co workers was what made my job enjoyable and fun. best part of the job was seeing a satisfied customer.
Great Company, Cares about Employee's, Potential for Moving Up
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Laval, QCJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Very little Stress. Flexible Schedule.
Cons: Salary, When doing a closing shift, never leaving when scheduled.
I've worked at Staples part-time for over 6 years. Great company, little stress. Excessive amounts of Interviews to get in, however this insures colleagues are suitable for the job, and pull their own weight.
Employees