Staples Employee Reviews

Good people, Approachable management, fun events, and lots of learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 November 2016
Staples was a good place to work,. We had CS rep relationship events twice a year for a week. We did monthly events by an engagement team, of which I was personally involved to give reps, and management competitions, food contests, etc. Management was Always very good to deal with. They were Always approachable, patient, helpful. with a smile.
A typical day at work would be answering inbound calls, taking orders, payments, doing resolution for customer issues.
My coworkers, were open, and helpful, and fantastic. We were a very diverse company, so along with the job, we learned so much from one another.
I can't really define a hard part of the job. I really did not find it difficult.
But the best part was getting up and going to work everyday.
Pros
Special fun events, great benefits, and RRSP & Stock plans
Cons
could be abit repititous at times
Staples Contact Centre was a great place to work.
HR specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 February 2017
Managers and associates were well trained and for the first 10 years I found the culture was very exciting. Associates were well versed on the culture, the company goals and understood clearly where Staples wanted to be as a company. Salary and benefits were good, and all associates felt valued. Over the last few years Staple's goal was to be number one in office products and furniture and had a mandate to take over its biggest competitors. During this time it was obvious this was their focus and the culture was changing. Unfortunately Staples were not successful in buying out their competitors and for the first time in my career there I felt uncertain of how we would recover and that job security was at risk.

I had very supportive managers and business partners who were willing to discuss and share what they needed from me. They also had no problem letting me know when they needed me to step up and help them work through associate issues. Also no matter how complicated or demanding the work was we could always share a good laugh.
Pros
Great benefits, excellent training, good salary, treated associates fairly, Associates felt respected, and a big part of the success.
Good benefits, employee treatment mediocre
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2017
The job position is very reliable with good hours and a moderate amount of training provided to work the job smoothly. The management places work load unevenly between employees and favourites are a common occurrence with disregard to employee performance.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Unfair workload distribution
Good experience
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON missusaga22 December 2016
Good experience in my life friendly atmosphere best managedment.i work hard there regularly and did not make a sick call even one day in my three year job.iam fully comfortable at workplace whole three years .some time my G.M give me rewards to me for my good job and I fully enjoy my benefits all other benifits some times bonus
Overall review
Copy Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 December 2016
Overall the staff is great, the management is ok. I was fired with a week left in my 3 month because from what I believe is that they didn't want to pay for my benefits.I did really enjoy working in the position I was in. If I was was asked to come back to work in the position I was in I would......
Fantastic Company
Copy, Cash and Aisles Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Benefits for everyone, stay for ten years and your pension is paid, breaks are regulated, company gifts for landmarks in time spent working for company, eco-friendly. Working at Staples was like having a second family. They care about you so much there.
Fun Work Environment, Great benefits
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC8 March 2017
Awesome benefits and good company standards. The company really seems to have the employees personal health and happiness in mind and provides a ton of support.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Hard to get promoted
Goodl place to work
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 February 2017
The policies and rules make the place a good place to work. Continuous learning and friendly environment to work.
Good benefits and opportunities to grow inside.
Pros
Good hours.
Call center
Sr. Electronic Commerce Rep (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS5 January 2017
This job was a good place to work if you can live on a six foot leash 40 hrs a week.. you have no freedom to be yourself. It is a call center environment and it is not for everybody. The pay and benefits fit my life at that time
Great if you are a young wipper snapper..lol
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 October 2016
I enjoyed it to a point. I liked to help my customers but when it came time for a raise I was actually very disappointed after a year of service to get a .25 cent raise.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
on night shift no place to have a smoke break as we could not exit the store
Bureau en gros
Directrice divisionnaire des ventes (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC1 November 2016
Overall great experience. Good benefits and a good balance with family and work. Lots of "employee day". Back to school was really busy but fun. Working weekends and nights were hard once I had my kids.
Pros
benefits, good balance, lots of team work
Cons
working nights and weekends
Always a target to achieve, and freedom of expression at all levels.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
Its Been great working with staples so far. Great benefits and great team. The only concern is very low chances of growing within the company. The culture of putting customers first at all times is a great value at staples. They are strong in customer service.
Horrible management, not enough training.
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 December 2016
I worked in the Burlington location and did not enjoy my position past two weeks.

They tricked me into working in the Copy and Print center, promising it would be temporary and that they'd move me to the tech center.

After six months of nothing changing in my position and them putting me as a cashier, the stress of the copy center forced me to leave.

Working in the copy center you are alone a lot of the time and it is chaotic. There needs to be two people in there at all times.

Managers were passive agressive and had no idea how to assist in the copy center. Absolutely no training there at all. There were petty arguments between employees, and some of the employees got away with things they shouldn't have such as bad mouthing other employees and storming out of their position only to be forgiven a few minutes later.

Was promised to have someone talk with me about how we could work with my anxiety and how to make my job as stress free as possible and nobody ever kept their promise.

Cash was easy, but they threw me in there with no training.

Don't take a copy and print position if you are anxious or easily stressed out. It is very chaotic and nobody but the people who work solely in the print center are trained on how to do anything in the print center.

You do get benefits after 6 months, however no matter if you're part or full time.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours for the most part.
Cons
Horrible managers, untrained staff, no room to grow.
alot of events and on boarding parties, fun and creative enviroment
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 January 2017
They were bought out and were merged together which caused a lot of change and turn over because of it. my team was in change of the profiles to the new profiles and platforms. and work with merchandising dept, creative department, and salesperson for each account. and keep them on track with deadlines and new launches for new business. added prices to items on the system and changed prices for sales items. and added text and french text to the web page. always on time
Pros
free promotional items
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 July 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
Management skills is not good enough
Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2017
Maximizes sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
Leads selling in the technology and furniture departments and cultivates a selling culture with associates working in the departments in order to achieve current goals and targets.
Provides assistance to associates in the department through training and coaching with regular follow up.
Partners with direct supervisor (or management) to achieve short and long term goals for the technology and furniture departments.
Unpredictable hours, unfair pay, enormous workload, and tons of sales pressure.
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Unrealistic sales expectations and pressure ruin this job. If you're looking for an easy part time sales job, look elsewhere because the amount of sales pressure put upon you is insane. When you fail to meet weekly quotas they cut your hours, and then when you ask for help and you actually have determination to improve there is no one to really help. The pay is unfair because you need to be very well versed with computer hardware (CPU's, clock speeds, RAM frequencies, etc.). If you do not know how to explain computer specs to a customer and explain the benefits of A or B then you will NOT be able to sell, and there is very little to no training on this. And on top of that you need to know HOW to sell, stock shelves, do pull lists, operate stock pickers, and book in computers for repair. The pay is unfair when you realize that the cashier gets paid the exact same as you but they just have to stand there the entire shift while you're overworked and running all over the place all the while your GM asks you "why are your numbers are so low."
Pros
Experience
Cons
Almost everything
its an alright place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC26 January 2017
The job is ok but there is alot of in job drama, rules are constantly changing, management doesnt seem to ever be on the same page, hours fluctuate , training is bare minimum theres alot of favoritism and the schedules are constantly changing hours are always cut back and all in all unless your on the floor doing sales or are full time your the lowest on the totem pole, worked here for a little while and I left because all in all theres to much drama in this store, bullying, and everyone is in everyones business. You arent given the hours your promised, and hour cut backs are always taking place constantly, it becomes frustrating
Pros
friendly customers and clean work place
Cons
improper training, managers yell at their employees when mistakes are made
Time well spent
Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2016
As management your shifts are 9 hours a day with 2 15min and 1 1/2 hour break, There are 3 shifts per day open, mid and close. Each store deals differently with days off i.e. 2 days off together, weekends off or 2 separate days off. It is great place to work, with good benefits. The staff was great. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the time to learn everything. The best part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
a lot to learn
Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 September 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

68%