Staples Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!
Computer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2016
Staples Business Depot provides its employees with exceptional training and a healthy work environment. They are a business that puts a lot of money into training their associates to not only become greats sellers and helpful employees, but also to become better individuals outside of work.
This job provides its employees with the opportunity to gain knowledge on technology and current business strategies. It also provides employees with additional workshops that can be attended to better ones knowledge on particular products and technology.
Great but pays poorly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Area1 December 2016
Love the job and totally dedicated to it. Management is engaged, friendly and understanding. It can get very busy though so you can easily find your self running around like madman. Most of the time it is a team environment but often some associates slack off or take the lazy route which causes more work for everyone else. One of the biggest issues for me is the terrible computer systems that impead your abilities to help customers efficiently. Overall though I would say that Staples is a great place to work if you can get past the low pay and no overtime.
Pros
Almost all the staff are amazing, friendly work environment, working indoors, flexible hours, helping customers.
Cons
Pay, Little chance to move up the ladder, computer systems, education.
Great management from the top down
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2016
Staples fulfillment center in Winnipeg is honestly the best job I have had in my life. The management is smart, they know that a well treated employee will produce much more than if they were ruled with an iron fist.
Having said that, it is very important that a company hire people with a positive attitude, as to not poison the crew with negativity. This branch has done just that, and I have never had the privilege of working with such a great bunch.
I hope for many more years at this location :)

Happy job hunting everybody, and don't settle for just anything if you can, it may be the best move you ever made.
Pros
Great management, Genuine team spirit, Free coffee (Keuig), New building, Mint condition machines
Cons
Its not in an area serviced by public transit
Supportive and high energy workplace
Technology Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 September 2016
I enjoy working for Staples. My management team is extremely supportive and encourages employees to grow every day. I strived to to take on a leadership role and the management team coached me into the role of Technology Consultant. I am pleased to say that with their help I learned to be a stronger leader than ever before. I enjoy communicating with customers and ensuring they leave the store with a total solution. The hardest part of the job is handling unhappy and impatient customers who can sometimes direct their anger towards you as the associate. I have learned to avoid taking it as a personal attack and try to provide the best service possible.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Unhappy customers
Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 September 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay
Computer Assistant
Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC17 October 2016
I worked at Staples Canada in Westmont QC in September 2008 until December 2009 as a Computer Assistant. My job is to guide the customers for the electronic items they wanted to buy and promote the additional insurance in order to improve the customer satisfaction towards their products.
Pros
Rebate for buying the products in store
Cons
Great work culture, teamwork, recognition
Ecommerce Merchandising Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 November 2016
A typical day will involve working with people from various departments on a diverse number of projects. I learned from every aspects of the role, from co-workers and managers. Everyone works as a team and is willing to help with anything.
Pros
Company culture, great people
Cons
Job advancement
Good people, Approachable management, fun events, and lots of learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 November 2016
Staples was a good place to work,. We had CS rep relationship events twice a year for a week. We did monthly events by an engagement team, of which I was personally involved to give reps, and management competitions, food contests, etc. Management was Always very good to deal with. They were Always approachable, patient, helpful. with a smile.
A typical day at work would be answering inbound calls, taking orders, payments, doing resolution for customer issues.
My coworkers, were open, and helpful, and fantastic. We were a very diverse company, so along with the job, we learned so much from one another.
I can't really define a hard part of the job. I really did not find it difficult.
But the best part was getting up and going to work everyday.
Pros
Special fun events, great benefits, and RRSP & Stock plans
Cons
could be abit repititous at times
Happy, high spirited, knowledgeable
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 July 2016
All of the staff and management are happy, high spirited, knowledgeable people and the customers highly appreciate us for it.
There are lots of opportunity for advancements, which were made very clear in the orientation process, while naming many people who had advancements. Management is absolutely phenomenal and supportive and are well aware of what is going on in every area of the store and are always more than happy to step in when assistance is needed.
Pros
Paid breaks. Great co-workers and management. Happy customers.
Always a target to achieve, and freedom of expression at all levels.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
Its Been great working with staples so far. Great benefits and great team. The only concern is very low chances of growing within the company. The culture of putting customers first at all times is a great value at staples. They are strong in customer service.
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 July 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
Productive workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 November 2016
Stock the shelves. Place received merchandise on the floor.
Using scanners to know how much product we have of a certain item.
Learned about Staples Canada, on what they carry and the different services they offer. Learned about technology and office furniture.
Pros
Paid breaks
Staples is a standard retail job, so its up to you to make it fun and worthwhile
Technology sales and services associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
A typical day would to do a morning checklist, consisting of security of product on the floor. During this time I would also take the time to take a look around my department and identify problem areas, stock is low or missing, product not properly secured with security wraps etc..

I learned a great deal while working at staples, the biggest of which is being able to keep your calm while under pressure. This is one of many skills that working retail can give you. fast consistent decision making, customer first mentality, working with others to complete a single task. dividing up work based on co-workers strengths and weaknesses.

At my location it was the coworkers that made working their fun and worthwhile, coming into work knowing that no matter how bad of a day it could be, that there is someone there to help is what makes retail worth it
Great if you are a young wipper snapper..lol
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 October 2016
I enjoyed it to a point. I liked to help my customers but when it came time for a raise I was actually very disappointed after a year of service to get a .25 cent raise.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
on night shift no place to have a smoke break as we could not exit the store
Bureau en gros
Directrice divisionnaire des ventes (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC1 November 2016
Overall great experience. Good benefits and a good balance with family and work. Lots of "employee day". Back to school was really busy but fun. Working weekends and nights were hard once I had my kids.
Pros
benefits, good balance, lots of team work
Cons
working nights and weekends
retail environment and all the things that go with it
Computer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador17 November 2016
Friendly co-workers and decent hours. Retail so that comes with its own issues. Often asked to cover other lunches or fill in for sick employees in different departments(not trained for) and causing own work to fall behind.
High rotation of staff
Préposée au service à la clientèle/caissière (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QC9 August 2016
It's a fair place to work. Employees are young and a lot of part time staff. Team work is promoted but not necessarily applied.. As most retail stores, lots of tagging to do and constant changes and rotations in the store. All in all it's an ok place.
Pros
continuous training
Cons
too much promotion
Interesting, Different
Technology Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 July 2016
No day is the same, I am learning so much about interacting with people and the day to day challenges of a business.

Co workers are easily the best part of the job, I enjoy seeing them each and everyday.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with the bureaucracy and unreasonable expectations on everyone.
Excellent Sales Experience.
Technology Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON10 June 2016
Achieve sales target on weekly basis help in gaining new sales experience.
Analyze customer needs, suggesting the ideal products that meet their requirements whilst cross selling insurance products to customers.
Customer-focused communicator with proven ability to understand and covey complex product information, develop rapport, build strong relationships with customers, and deliver high-impact sales presentations
Maximize sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
Productive Workplace, Hard to get along with staff
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 June 2016
Overall as a job it's not bad at all, but in my experience the staff members were awful to get along with and they were all very judgmental. I'm younger so that might be why as the part-time staff were very nice, but the older employees seemed to have a thing against younger staff members so I would watch out for that if you are under 30.