Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Survival Job
East Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 25, 2015
The company would be a good place to work if they paid employees a livable wage and did not try to manipulate employees by insulting their intelligence.The store I worked at had decent management so it was tolerable. A typical day included running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to serve customers. Be warned there is no clearly defined position at this company. Even the Managers' stock shelves. You will be hired as an Easy Tech but you will end up doing anything and everything. Your feet will hurt a lot from standing all day you will miss breaks and management will pretend they did not notice it. It is best to use this company the same way they use you... for money. This is a good job for people who have no choice, need temporary work or a student. It is not a career by any means.
Pros
Helping customers, Co-workers, Clean Environment
Cons
Pay, pressure without incentive, physical discomfort, unaffordable benefits, ect...
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Pros
excellent staff, excellent service
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Pros
Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons
No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
Mainly worked alone to complete a variety of tasks and customer orders. Time efficiency and organization is key for success in this position.
Copy Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Copy Centre associate working both alone and in a group, involved in a wide variety of tasks. As a copy centre associate, I was expected to complete orders involved in copying, printing, cutting, and laminating as well as working with a variety of computer software programs to design, edit, and produce customer orders. The management at Staples preferred one associate to work in the copy centre at a time, allowing me to really develop skills in organization and time efficiency as I completed all tasks and customer orders while still attending the cash register. Also had shifts as a cashier in other areas of the store and covering breaks, which involved communication and cooperation with co-workers.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I had a great time while I worked there years ago. Excellent benefits and bonuses. More of a small business culture.I was given opportunity to make decisions.
Pros
Career advancemant
Cons
Wondeful staff, extremely fair company, fantastic ethics
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Excellent management, very fair work conditions, and absolutely positive working environment. The CEO has amazing morals and truly treats all his employees, both part-time and full-time, with utmost respect. My only wish is if advancement was easier to do, however, I will not give up.
Pros
Fun days, amazing management, kind staff
Cons
Low hours, not much advancement
don't do it!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Mississauga is the busiest hub in Canada
You will be moving boxes of paper (50lbs +) ea by the skid load(2000lbs+). Hand delivery. Everyday.
You WILL work until you are finished your route.
You will not find respect until at least a year on the job.
Most of your training is on the run.
Trucks are ALWAYS a problem..YOURS
Busy season is murder!!
Pros
99% great customers, decent wages, decent benefits
Cons
The busy season, management
Not bad
Copy Centre (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 29, 2016
It has been a great learning experience working at Staples. It is definitely a more demanding retail chain. This is definitely not a job where you walk in expecting to just walk around and get paid to do nothing. They expect high quality service out of each employee, which I pride myself on. There is continuous training that you go through to keep improving yourself as an employee.
Things are changing quite quickly right now and not necessarily for the best. Management is constantly stressed which can be a hard thing to deal with. Most of the co-worker are really good people. Uplifting, funny loving and just all around nice people with a few exceptions.
Pros
Quarterly fun and games day, occasional free lunches and coffee.
Cons
Stressed managers, not a lot of hours to give to workers but yet three times the amount of work for each person.
Great 10 years, people and culture
Associate Director, Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2016
I loved my 10 years with the company, the people and culture and second to none. We were given full autonomy to implement the corporate and departmental goals.
Pros
People and Culture
Cons
Work life
Fast paced, learning environment
Aisles/Computers Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
Aisles and Computers offer both stability in hours and constant movement. Goals and quotas get you to push yourself to strive for better. I learned operating programs (Windows 7, 8, 10) along with vital omputer information (ram, processor, hard drive, etc) and had an opportunity to learn about Apple products. Grasped the understanding of front facing products, up-selling, and inventory management. Most people I worked with were easy going, and very work oriented while maintaining a healthy, active personal schedule.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with quotas, which were set by the previous year's completion per week. The most enjoyable part was the fact that it was a safe, reliable and trusting environment with a great staff and management team.
Cons
"Sh-t runs down hill. You're at the bottom."
Gave a very memorable entrance to the working world
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2016
My co-workers were the most welcoming group of people, it made me feel very comfortable especially since it was my first job. Management was good as well, trying to accommodate to your life's schedule. I learned a lot about how to deal with the many different kinds of customers, but overall gained a lot of skill in communicating with everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts, as I was employed the month before school started. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the many different products the store sold.
Pros
Location (the centre of Heartland)
Cons
Back-to-school season
Pretty good place to work!
Technology Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 12, 2015
Staples was very kind to me during my stay with them. They were willing to work with your schedule as long as it was reasonable. For the position I was working I was paid minimum wage however that was to be expected. Employees are given benefits even if only working part time. The job security wasn't fantastic however as the other store in town was forced to close due to financial pressure. The management addressed concerns I had about different aspects of the job and were generally clear in their expectations. The other employees were willing to give guidance on various procedures which was a great help. There was a slight bit of drama I was annoyed by but it didn't affect me directly so I can't complain too much about that. All in all, probably one of the better retail jobs out there.
Pros
Flexible; benefits; management; atmosphere; events
Cons
Pay (Minimum wage)
Good Company, hard to advance far in career
Associate Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 23, 2015
It is a great company to work for. Great benefits, good hours and a great management team. Hard to advance though, since many of the managers have been here long term and are comfortable in their positions. Usually only opportunity for advancement is when someone quits / they expand departments.

Overall, not a bad experience. Happy to work here.
Overall good company to work for, poisoned by terrible management at store level
Merchandiser/Aisles Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 7, 2016
Horrible management at the store level. Was told by my GM that I was "never allowed t sell a computer again" because of minor mistakes I made in an area I was never trained instead of offering to train me. Maybe if they actually spent the money to have more sales people in the store I wouldn't get dragged over there. The other manager, divisional sales or something is constantly being sarcastic when I ask him questions or hardly ever listens when I talk to him on the phone. very unprofessional and can't wait to leave.
Pros
Free lunches once in a while, I`ll be able to quit soon
Cons
Treated poorly, un-appreciated, degraded by management, bad pay, horrible hours.
Very friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QCMarch 11, 2016
Ideal for any part-time student job. Management is extremely friendly, flexible and open to employee suggestions. Co-workers are mostly young adults which makes it a very hip and friendly work environment. Downside of this job is that management can't afford to allocate many hours for their employees for the greater part of the year. On the other hand, all employees become full-time employees during the back to school period; it can get pretty crazy at times.
Pros
Very flexible hours, friendly management and coworkers
Cons
Might get bored when there are no customers
Fun Work place and good training ground
Cashier, Customer service rep, copy centre assoc (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray abOctober 12, 2015
Needs more training for associate advancement especially those on technical dept. The top management should give full time associate a regular schedule and let others do cross-training to other department. Generally, new management is striving to do more fun activities for career growth and open to suggestions which is good.

The best thing in this job is when they gave me a chance to take exam and being certified as print-pro where I proved to myself and to them that I am their potential employee, unfortunately they will no longer renew tfw so I have to find way/s to look for another employer:)
Pros
free gift cards
Cons
cutting hours
The day in the life of Staples associates
Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 22, 2015
Engage clientele with a friendly professional demeanor as they entered the store. As a lead in the service department, I ensured customer satisfaction while processing purchases and resolved customer concerns through returns and exchanges. Provided guidance, motivation, and assisted in training and development of new associates while ensuring that tasks were performed with high standards of quality.

One of the most memorable experiences that I learned was how to be oblivious to distractions while multi-tasking.

Management was a team group effort and we had each others back during challenging times.

Co-workers were diverse in both values and beliefs, which brought to our team intellectual diversity

The hardest part of the job was when unhappy customers would leave the store, knowing you had done your best to satisfy their needs. That being said, the most gratifying is when we would solve their concern or issues that lead to loyal clientele following.
Pros
Team support
Cons
standing long hours
Great company to work for
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Accommodating and reasonable. great communication and job culture. Cross training and management programs make it possible to advance and receive recognition for it.
Good place to work for students
Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I was a Supervisor for almost a year. I liked the hours and days that I was scheduled. The management is not supportive of the supervisors, even though you're still a manager it doesn't feel like it. There's a lot of micro managing and my manager told me that I needed to figure the job out for myself not to ask her how to do something ( there are video's but not a lot of one on one). They don't like it if you ask a lot of questions and not a lot of patience. I really didn't have a good experience there. I was a store manager for almost 10 years so I know how to properly train staff, be compassionate and have respect to others especially when they're new. I wouldn't go back.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
lots of favortism and a low wage for what they expect of you
Only work here if you have to.
Administrative Specialist / Copy Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2015
Retail...management was unprofessional, often bordering on harassment despite company training- poisoned work environment. Pay was horrible and didn't keep up with inflation. They don't give out good reviews to anyone because they don't want to pay you the extra 25 cents it would entail. Hard to leave on time because of bag checks that you might have to wait 20 minutes or more for. I loved the work, worked hard, did my time, but was relieved to leave.
Pros
Basic benefits
Cons
I could write a book.