Staples
2,424 reviews

Staples Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work with upbeat people
Copy Consultant, Aisles Associate (Current Employee), Alliston, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Although Staples is a typical retail job, the people make the difference. Staples promotes growth within the company and is not pushy with sales, and allows their employees some freedoma nd individuality.
A GREAT PLACE TO WORK EVERYONE FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL
Co-op Placement (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: everyone friendly
Cons: wasn't offered a job after co-op completed
I enjoyed my time while doing my co-op placement through Staples, everyone was helpful. I was pleased at how much hands on experience I was given. I was hoping to get a job offer, but they were not currently hiring.
Poor attitude of management
Business Support Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioSeptember 3, 2014
No respect for its own employee.one of the worst organisation to work
People Donot receive Money Base of their Knowledege
MOD (Former Employee), BC, CanadaAugust 27, 2014
Promotions in Staples are so slow, and they prefer to hire from outside instead of promoting current employee, and when they promote current employee they pay much less to them than a people who hired from outside.
The person with the high knowlege of computer or copy pay a same as a person who works as a cashier in a fast-food.
Great learning ovperience
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLAugust 17, 2014
Pros: made me tech savey
Cons: low pay, low hours
learned about computers and electronics co-workers were great
I enjoyed my staff
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Langley, BCAugust 15, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: changes made to the store lost a lot of employees
I really enjoyed the old managers for the first 4 years then they brought in new management, and it was difficult for a lot of the old staff to change there routine, I even had old managers complaining about the new routine, I tried my best to keep everyone happy. The management and staff said that I was a very calming and happy person who respects – more... everyone and want everyone to be happy – less
Love working here, but I need more money and more hours
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Thornhill, ONAugust 9, 2014
I love the place but I need 40 hours or even 60 hours a week and a bump in pay, lunch was one hour which is great and the management is amazing.
Fun Environment to Work In
Full Time Aisles Lead (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 8, 2014
A typical day at work is fun, entertaining and efficient. I learned valuable skills such as ordering stock and talking to buyers. My management is fun and great to work with not always ideal but can go to them with any issues and a solution is always found. My co-workers are always willing to lend a hand when needed. The hardest part of my job is making – more... sure the customer is happy because I am not always able to get them the product that they need. The most enjoyable part of my job is leaving everyday knowing that I helped the customer to the best of my ability. – less
Productive and Fun workplace
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee), Simcoe OntarioAugust 6, 2014
The staff was amazing and fun to be around. Hard working and driven towards tasks that needed to be done.
Great management staff, caring and understanding
Minimum wage & no respect
Technology Consultant & Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great managers where i work, good job security
Cons: stuck part time, minimum wage, very hard work for little reward, disrespect from clients
They seem to want to keep most people at part time hours, and the pay below management is minimum wage or as close as makes no difference.

Showing a ton of initiative and skill can get you advancement in terms of hours and position, but don't expect too much.

It is retail, expect to be treated like the scum of the earth by every person who enters – more... the store. – less
Used to be amazing, but slowly decreased
Sales Area Representitive (Former Employee), Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, OntarioJune 27, 2014
Pros: good staff, varied work, flexible shifts
Cons: huge shift in company culture, annoying customers at times
Staples was my first job, and when I started, and for a number of years after, it was an amazing place to work. Sadly there was a pretty huge shift in the company culture a few years before I left. This came about when the company decided that managers bonuses were based off of warranty sales. It was at this time that the whole focus really seemed to – more... change from helping customers get the best product and experience to "Who cares... did they get the warranty?". It was at this time that I really lost my enthusiasm with the company; especially when one of the employees was actively lying to customers to get warranty sales, and was being rewarded with shifts and praise because of it.
True, this might have just been the store that I was working at, but it definitely tarnished my opinion of the company as a whole. – less
Lack of security- Middle East
Resident Tech (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 27, 2014
Pros: lot of fun and experience
Cons: lack of security
1- Work under pressure and accomplished according to schedule
2- How to be a multi task
3- I have learned how to troubleshoot the problem and fix it ASAP.
4- How to make some fun in spite of lack of security.
5- Work 24/7
6- How to manage work with subcontractors and Motorola's Teams
Confirmation of Excellent customer Care
Customer Service Lead/Print (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2014
Pros: customer interaction
Started in the printing department and was quickly promoted to Head Cashier because of Excellent customer service shown. Challenging and learned how to better upsell/sell items customers needed and or could not find.
It was a fun and enjoyable experience working in Retail
Stocking Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 22, 2014
Pros: it was a great experience working there
Cons: the hours were sometimes were to long
A typical day at work was when I had to get everything done by the end of the day with a lot of pressure on my back.

The hardest part I had once was when I had to work 12 hours in one ay. Where there was a lot of things that I had to be done before that shirt was over.

The most enjoyable part of the part is meaning new people.
Copy Centre Lead (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJune 16, 2014
Good staff and management
Decent pay
Store hours are good
Helped to set up display for departments
Recognition for job well done
Employee stock purchase plan
Good for a first Job...but thats it.
Associate Technician (Former Employee), ABMay 30, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: managers
Worked here for about a year as the associate tech.
Was promised to be promoted if I could help bring in a certain cash flow of tech money each week. (repairs, cleanings, diagnostics etc).

Yet the managers did nothing to help. They always offered deals and undercut the actual prices so I was actually doing more work for less.

At my 3 month review – more... I was given excuses as to why I did not get a raise even though I battled every day in that place to bring in as much as i could.

When a new manager took over the tech department i finally got a raise at my next review. About 15 cents! Basically a slap in the face.

Otherwise the people were great, made some good friends and i give them credit because I got a lot of hands on experience with PC Repair. – less
Straightforward office supplies business
Aisles Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGMay 27, 2014
-There was a lot of on your feet work, checking stock in the aisles. There was also a lot of heavy lifting and helping the warehouse move stock.

-I learned that it is important to work as a team.

-Management was satisfactory and of an acceptable nature.

-Co-workers were lively, energetic and eager to help out fellow team members.

-The hardest part – more... of the job was keeping a steady pace throughout the whole day.

-The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers find what they were looking for. – less
great starter job
Manager (Former Employee), ottawaMay 10, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: all the shifts were fast pace and hard to maintain that in a full time capacity.
Strong training
Strong family values
management really support growth and a learning environment
coworkers were awesome and very helpful.
job equality was hard to deal with
coworkers and management team were awesome
Needs better management
Sales associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 7, 2014
Cons: bad management, lack of team player enviornment, hectic customer service
I was hired as a seasonal employee for the back-to-school period with the potential to be hired on as a permanent part-time.

I worked hard despite the hectic working conditions (customers are livid during the back to school season) and when my contract with the company was nearing an end they told me that despite enjoying my work ethic they weren't – more... keeping me. I found this interesting as they decided to keep two girls (one who was indeed a hard worker, and another who rarely every put in an effort during her shift) but I dusted myself off and started looking for a more permanent position elsewhere.

Then, literally a week after my final shift at the store I got a call from one of the managers asking me irritatedly through a voicemail where I was and why I hadn't shown up for my shift that week. I was stunned. They specifically had instructed me on which day was my last with the company and yet had continued to shift me despite my discontinued employment? Bad management. Very, very bad management. If you continue to shift seasonal employees past their final day last I checked you should probably inform them. Lack of communication is terrible management. I would not recommend anyone to take on a seasonal position here. – less
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2014
Pros: benefits after probation period
Cons: wages were less as compared to job duties.
My day at Staples started with a staff meeting of 15 minutes and after that I used to switch on all the printers and copiers followed by the entering of the meter reads of all the printing/copying machines onto the staples custom software. After that I used to check the email and process the online orders if any pending. Apart from that I also used – more... to attend the instore customers and the phone calls. Overall, the day at work used be quite hectic but interesting and exciting. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Staples

There’s a whole lot more to Staples than you probably ever imagined. As the world’s 3rd largest internet retailer – Read more