Staples Employee Reviews

Run away
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Middle Sackville, NSSeptember 20, 2016
Don't apply if you value your health and sanity. They use you awful and stab you in the back. Had to go on stress leave because they bullied me about my health problems.
Cons
Amazing Company to work for, with lots of room for advancement
Divisional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONSeptember 14, 2016
Great company to work for with lots of room for growth. With Retail everyday is different and that's what makes it interesting.
My experience at Staples
Cashier/ Aisles (Former Employee) –  Staples Alberta 130th Avenue locationSeptember 12, 2016
A typical day at Staples was quite enjoyable. I am close with many employees. All were very good roll models to me. I had many tasks to complete everyday and was always efficient enough to get them done. I would do a report on one aisle everyday day of the week. After completing the report and looking for merchandise i would down stock the entire front half and back half of the aisle. After fully down stocking the aisle i would do stock that was received that day. Anywhere from 1-30 pallets of stock i would work on daily. The management was very happy to see how hard i work and how efficiently i work and complete so much in a short amount of time. I was consistently recognized for my attitude and energy. Throughout the day I'm also helping customers with all there needs and questions. I also would cover breaks at the tills when the cashier wanted to take her breaks. I was placing orders online for customers if we didn't have the product in store. I would also call other staples in Calgary to transfer in product that we don't have in stock to be able to get the product to the customer that they are asking for. The hardest part of the job was the beginning, learning where all the product went, how to work the scanners and also how to organize tasks so they are completed efficiently and properly the first time. I developed all those skills needed in a short amount of time and it was often recognized. After one year i was promoted to Aisles Lead/Captain. This job consisted of training everyone in aisles new or previous employees. I trained them everything there was to know about  more... aisles. I was always open with them and welcomed them to ask any questions. I wrote lists of tasks for the night associate before leaving work. Writing the list i found helped the management for that night it gave them a idea of what needed to be done and they could guide the associate if they had any questions about the tasks. Leading the entire half of the store was most definitely one of my favorite things. Loved to watch people grow and learn. I consistently recognized all people i trained. When the employees were doing a good job i found it very important to be encouraging and proud. If they had any struggles they knew they could ask. If i noticed they were having difficulty completing a task i would talk to them and go over it with them to help them further understand. After doing that i would personally help them with the task just in case they had any questions or concerns. The other benefits were working with all my fellow associates, and interacting with customers and helping them with what they needed. It felt great to be able to help customers. I also liked doing the stock, once all pallets were empty you feel accomplished and you know you made a difference and also made the management very happy. I've taken a lot from this experience and I am ready to begin another chapter and experience and learn more.  less
Pros
Work benefits, Great staff, Supportive managers
Cons
Low wage, looking for something now that pays more
Supportive and high energy workplace
Technology Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 11, 2016
I enjoy working for Staples. My management team is extremely supportive and encourages employees to grow every day. I strived to to take on a leadership role and the management team coached me into the role of Technology Consultant. I am pleased to say that with their help I learned to be a stronger leader than ever before. I enjoy communicating with customers and ensuring they leave the store with a total solution. The hardest part of the job is handling unhappy and impatient customers who can sometimes direct their anger towards you as the associate. I have learned to avoid taking it as a personal attack and try to provide the best service possible.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Unhappy customers
Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 11, 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay
Working at Staples call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 4, 2016
I really loved working at Staples call center, they were understanding and accommodating when the time was needed. I enjoyed working for Staples, and getting to talk to the customers from different places in the United States. 99% of the time the customers were friendly, but you do come across the odd grouchy,or racist or just nasty people. But I didn't mind dealing with them, all they want is for someone to listen to what they have to say! The only thing I would complain about the company is that they don't pay enough an hour, Where as other call centers pay almost $20 an hour, Staples would offer minimum or unless you had experience then they would offer a bit more. They have awesome benefit coverage, and paid holiday, so you would think they would pay more to their employees. Price for lunches in the cafeteria was acceptable, Management was great and understanding and there for you if you needed to talk to someone! I just wish they didn't close their doors and moved it to the Philippines because I would still be working there if they didn't move.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Working on important holidays except Christmas
Great place for the entry level experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2016
I used to work at Staples as a Sales Representative in the year 2014. This place is a great learning tool for the entry level people.
High rotation of staff
Préposée au service à la clientèle/caissière (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QCAugust 9, 2016
It's a fair place to work. Employees are young and a lot of part time staff. Team work is promoted but not necessarily applied.. As most retail stores, lots of tagging to do and constant changes and rotations in the store. All in all it's an ok place.
Pros
continuous training
Cons
too much promotion
Interesting, Different
Technology Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 27, 2016
No day is the same, I am learning so much about interacting with people and the day to day challenges of a business.

Co workers are easily the best part of the job, I enjoy seeing them each and everyday.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with the bureaucracy and unreasonable expectations on everyone.
Happy, high spirited, knowledgeable
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONJuly 23, 2016
All of the staff and management are happy, high spirited, knowledgeable people and the customers highly appreciate us for it.
There are lots of opportunity for advancements, which were made very clear in the orientation process, while naming many people who had advancements. Management is absolutely phenomenal and supportive and are well aware of what is going on in every area of the store and are always more than happy to step in when assistance is needed.
Pros
Paid breaks. Great co-workers and management. Happy customers.
Great company to work for.
Copy and Print Centre Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 14, 2016
Head office staff, technicians, management and staff are always so helpful and friendly. Good benefits, matching RSP's.
good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 12, 2016
I love my job at staples , but it has come to light that i wont be going full time with them as it is not in their budget and i need full time employment . what i love about staples is the costumer interaction , i try to get a smile out of everyone that comes in as i am a very happy person .
Thoroughly Enjoyable.
Labourer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKJuly 11, 2016
My job was inventory. Not the most exciting work, but my co workers and management staff were exceedingly easy to work with, so it made it all right.
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 11, 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
good paying job with security
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJuly 7, 2016
I really like this job because it is not physically demanding. It is a good paying job with chance for advancement and security for my family.
Pros
free drinks and warm co-workers
not much fro the employees
tech sales and services representitive (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJuly 4, 2016
employees at a small staples will have the benifits of a lack of training a lack of managment training no real pros no real cons just missing something
Excellent workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
Yes, the pay may not be there, however, team that is associated with Staples BD is simply amazing. Always keeping safety of everyone in mind, this employment has developed many of my skills.
Productive Workplace, Hard to get along with staff
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 22, 2016
Overall as a job it's not bad at all, but in my experience the staff members were awful to get along with and they were all very judgmental. I'm younger so that might be why as the part-time staff were very nice, but the older employees seemed to have a thing against younger staff members so I would watch out for that if you are under 30.
Excellent Sales Experience.
Technology Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJune 10, 2016
Achieve sales target on weekly basis help in gaining new sales experience.
Analyze customer needs, suggesting the ideal products that meet their requirements whilst cross selling insurance products to customers.
Customer-focused communicator with proven ability to understand and covey complex product information, develop rapport, build strong relationships with customers, and deliver high-impact sales presentations
Maximize sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
Unpredictable hours, unfair pay, enormous workload, and tons of sales pressure.
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Unrealistic sales expectations and pressure ruin this job. If you're looking for an easy part time sales job, look elsewhere because the amount of sales pressure put upon you is insane. When you fail to meet weekly quotas they cut your hours, and then when you ask for help and you actually have determination to improve there is no one to really help. The pay is unfair because you need to be very well versed with computer hardware (CPU's, clock speeds, RAM frequencies, etc.). If you do not know how to explain computer specs to a customer and explain the benefits of A or B then you will NOT be able to sell, and there is very little to no training on this. And on top of that you need to know HOW to sell, stock shelves, do pull lists, operate stock pickers, and book in computers for repair. The pay is unfair when you realize that the cashier gets paid the exact same as you but they just have to stand there the entire shift while you're overworked and running all over the place all the while your GM asks you "why are your numbers are so low."
Pros
Experience
Cons
Almost everything