Staples Employee Reviews

Productive & Enjoyable workplace.
Night worker (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC15 August 2017
Working here was one of my best experiences. although only temporary work. It was a blast. Loads of fun & everybody got the job done.

The night started out with everyone getting a task assigned to them from there completing the task given. It was easy, fun and enjoyable.
I learned various store plans and how to use a stock picker. Management was absolutely great. If I did something wrong they would help me out immediately. They were easy to talk to and were never rude. If they had a problem with something I or my Co-worker did they respectfully told us that we should re do it. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to night shift times but that only took 2 days and the most enjoyable part of the job was hearing from the managers that we did a phenomenal job and completed everything in less time than expected.
Pros
Friendly Managers
Cons
Temporary Work
Customers and most staff are great!
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB14 August 2017
Deals with lots of customer service and catering to businesses, gained experience to bring with me in the future. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the poor management. Most enjoyable part was seeing repeat customers.
Pros
Free wifi
Cons
low wages
Varied and interesting retail workplace
sales area representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2017
Staples certainly keeps you on your toes; nearly everyday is a different set of challenges due to the breadth of the business. Management is largely understanding, though sometimes training can be somewhat barebones.
Flexible Job
Sales Area Representative (Former Employee) –  4122 Calgary Trail NW11 August 2017
It's a great job for students because you already know a lot of the product sold. The management can be good but is always changing because of the corporate structure.
Fun, yet disorganized
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON10 August 2017
Staples was a great place to work, where I learned a ton. I was one of those people who would have claimed to be terrible at computers, now I know so much more than I ever could've imagined existed. The only downsides are the high turnover and inconsistent management.
Pros
Easy to book time off
Cons
Retail, high employee turnover, inconsistent management
Ok
Stock Boy (Former Employee) –  St.-Bruno-de-Montarville, QC10 August 2017
The job is something i always looked for, it was easy fast paced and i was always commited and punctual. I was never late and i was honest about the work i put in. If something was wrong i didnt feel the need to not speak to anyone about it. Overall great job.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Not great pay
Applied for tech position
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 August 2017
Although I was nervous and this was my first proper job, I was put in shipping/receiving instead of the position I had applied for. The management was friendly, but I was unable to retain interest in a job that consisted of 75% box opening.
I did not like working for staples
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 August 2017
Staples had a high turn over. They did not seem to care about any employees. It was more of a push limits until you quit. One of my managers started a vendetta against me and treated the whole store like a high school. I quit once I couldn't take it anymore.
Pros
You have a chance to make some friends
Cons
Pretty much everything
Fun place to work but hard to move up
Sales and Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 July 2017
I have worked there for several years and was hoping by this time I would be a manager on Salary. They expect a lot out of you with sometime little to no guidance.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
high targets
Retail Sales Associate
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 July 2017
I have learned how to help with client to find the right equipment. And I also how to associate with people most part of the time if they needed help.
Pros
Sandwich & Drinks
Cons
Half an Hour
Fun place to work at
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2017
All the associates that you work with here at Staples are great. Personality and everything is great at the workplace. The management needs some help at times. And sometimes there isn't enough employees working especially for tech. They need more people working at once, but then again they have limited hours to work with.
Work with great people who are super fun and motivated. Time managment feels a bit disorganized.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2017
I felt it's been really fun working here and it has expanded my interpersonal and communication skills. The only downside is that I do not know if I will be garanteed position and I came in wanting full time but I'm working only part time.
Pros
Two thirty minute long breaks, nearby to house.
Cons
Not garanteed position by the time fall comes.
awesome workplace
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 July 2017
It is a distribution centre but as busy as they always are somehow the employees are never too tired to get their day's work done. Awesome culture and salaray/benefits too.
Extremely Poor Management
Copy & Print Centre Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2017
I was a Copy & Print Centre Lead and I enjoyed how every day was a little different. I loved the job itself.
But I found the company and the store I worked at to be very poorly managed. Their HR department is more concerned about maintaining their good relationships with store managers than solving problems for employees. There were very low standards set for store management, and higher ups were completely unknowledgeable about what was going on in any of their stores or departments, nor did they care to learn.
On an average day, I would find myself doing my own job, answering phones, cashiering, managing the customer service desk, doing all of the Copy Centre Managers' duties, and some of the Store Managers' duties. I would frequently take my work home with me, (both emotionally and physically) and would be "on call" when I was not at work. I was not paid for this time, and was paid just over minimum wage the rest of the time.
Additionally, Staples offers large bonuses to the heads of their technology department for increased sales, but not to other department heads. I would receive a pat on the back, at most. Something to keep in mind, if you have the choice between working in technology or copy centre!
I also did not appreciate the company's approach to local business. They were blatant and loud about their desire to "run the mom and pop shops into the ground," and more energy was put into "stealing" customers from other businesses than gaining new ones.
I started my job feeling optimistic and excited, and left two years later feeling overworked, underpaid, under-appreciated,
  more... and completely defeated.  less
Pros
Interesting job, flexible hours
Cons
Poor management, thankless job, poor pay, stressful
One of my favorite jobs
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 July 2017
During my time at staples, I worked as a cashier and as a copy center associate. During my time in the copy center, I learned a lot about different office equipment such as: copiers, laminating, and prints. I built relationships with many customers and helped them with their copy needs by making suggestions. I loved every part of working at Staples.
Pros
Interesting Work
Company Growing and Changing
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vaughana, ON11 July 2017
Things are always changing and they are always busy. Empolyees
working evenings and weekends to get their their task completed. More training required for new staff.
Pros
good social activitiews
Cons
Very fun place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2017
This was by far my most loved job. Every week I got roughly the same hours so I knew what to expect, staff was amazing and management was pretty good too. Small employee group so everyone got close and had everyones backs.
Pros
Early closing on the weekends
Cons
Can be dead sometimes
Love my job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS1 July 2017
I have learned a lot over the last two years as a customer service rep. I was extremely lucky to have such a great supportive staff. My position can be frustrating dealing directly with customers - but i know i am always supported and backed up with my managers and associates.
Really Cool people to work with
Sales Associate/Cashier/ Furniture Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC29 June 2017
Staples was my first job and I'm glad it was, it taught me so much customer service skills that I will remember for the rest of my career life, I'm forever grateful!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Overnight Loader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 June 2017
A typical day at work is to get to the plant for 7 pm and be ready to go to work until about 6 am. On the job you will be lifting boxes in and out trucks, lifting wooden skids and place them in the proper places, and scanning boxes in and out of trucks.
Cons
Your day is ruined because you have to sleep through it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.