Staples Employee Reviews

Staples Contact Centre was a great place to work.
HR specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 February 2017
Managers and associates were well trained and for the first 10 years I found the culture was very exciting. Associates were well versed on the culture, the company goals and understood clearly where Staples wanted to be as a company. Salary and benefits were good, and all associates felt valued. Over the last few years Staple's goal was to be number one in office products and furniture and had a mandate to take over its biggest competitors. During this time it was obvious this was their focus and the culture was changing. Unfortunately Staples were not successful in buying out their competitors and for the first time in my career there I felt uncertain of how we would recover and that job security was at risk.

I had very supportive managers and business partners who were willing to discuss and share what they needed from me. They also had no problem letting me know when they needed me to step up and help them work through associate issues. Also no matter how complicated or demanding the work was we could always share a good laugh.
Pros
Great benefits, excellent training, good salary, treated associates fairly, Associates felt respected, and a big part of the success.
Good people, Approachable management, fun events, and lots of learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 November 2016
Staples was a good place to work,. We had CS rep relationship events twice a year for a week. We did monthly events by an engagement team, of which I was personally involved to give reps, and management competitions, food contests, etc. Management was Always very good to deal with. They were Always approachable, patient, helpful. with a smile.
A typical day at work would be answering inbound calls, taking orders, payments, doing resolution for customer issues.
My coworkers, were open, and helpful, and fantastic. We were a very diverse company, so along with the job, we learned so much from one another.
I can't really define a hard part of the job. I really did not find it difficult.
But the best part was getting up and going to work everyday.
Pros
Special fun events, great benefits, and RRSP & Stock plans
Cons
could be abit repititous at times
alot of events and on boarding parties, fun and creative enviroment
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 January 2017
They were bought out and were merged together which caused a lot of change and turn over because of it. my team was in change of the profiles to the new profiles and platforms. and work with merchandising dept, creative department, and salesperson for each account. and keep them on track with deadlines and new launches for new business. added prices to items on the system and changed prices for sales items. and added text and french text to the web page. always on time
Pros
free promotional items
Cons
Overall review
Copy Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 December 2016
Overall the staff is great, the management is ok. I was fired with a week left in my 3 month because from what I believe is that they didn't want to pay for my benefits.I did really enjoy working in the position I was in. If I was was asked to come back to work in the position I was in I would......
Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 September 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay
Good experience
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON missusaga22 December 2016
Good experience in my life friendly atmosphere best managedment.i work hard there regularly and did not make a sick call even one day in my three year job.iam fully comfortable at workplace whole three years .some time my G.M give me rewards to me for my good job and I fully enjoy my benefits all other benifits some times bonus
Great work culture, teamwork, recognition
Ecommerce Merchandising Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 November 2016
A typical day will involve working with people from various departments on a diverse number of projects. I learned from every aspects of the role, from co-workers and managers. Everyone works as a team and is willing to help with anything.
Pros
Company culture, great people
Cons
Job advancement
great company for start
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC9 February 2017
it is really great company for entry level employee
you can learn a lot in the company by the mature training program
you can learn much and contribute so much
you can build you career from this platform that staple offered
Good management and good team
its an alright place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC26 January 2017
The job is ok but there is alot of in job drama, rules are constantly changing, management doesnt seem to ever be on the same page, hours fluctuate , training is bare minimum theres alot of favoritism and the schedules are constantly changing hours are always cut back and all in all unless your on the floor doing sales or are full time your the lowest on the totem pole, worked here for a little while and I left because all in all theres to much drama in this store, bullying, and everyone is in everyones business. You arent given the hours your promised, and hour cut backs are always taking place constantly, it becomes frustrating
Pros
friendly customers and clean work place
Cons
improper training, managers yell at their employees when mistakes are made
Great but pays poorly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Area1 December 2016
Love the job and totally dedicated to it. Management is engaged, friendly and understanding. It can get very busy though so you can easily find your self running around like madman. Most of the time it is a team environment but often some associates slack off or take the lazy route which causes more work for everyone else. One of the biggest issues for me is the terrible computer systems that impead your abilities to help customers efficiently. Overall though I would say that Staples is a great place to work if you can get past the low pay and no overtime.
Pros
Almost all the staff are amazing, friendly work environment, working indoors, flexible hours, helping customers.
Cons
Pay, Little chance to move up the ladder, computer systems, education.
Great management from the top down
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2016
Staples fulfillment center in Winnipeg is honestly the best job I have had in my life. The management is smart, they know that a well treated employee will produce much more than if they were ruled with an iron fist.
Having said that, it is very important that a company hire people with a positive attitude, as to not poison the crew with negativity. This branch has done just that, and I have never had the privilege of working with such a great bunch.
I hope for many more years at this location :)

Happy job hunting everybody, and don't settle for just anything if you can, it may be the best move you ever made.
Pros
Great management, Genuine team spirit, Free coffee (Keuig), New building, Mint condition machines
Cons
Its not in an area serviced by public transit
Happy, high spirited, knowledgeable
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 July 2016
All of the staff and management are happy, high spirited, knowledgeable people and the customers highly appreciate us for it.
There are lots of opportunity for advancements, which were made very clear in the orientation process, while naming many people who had advancements. Management is absolutely phenomenal and supportive and are well aware of what is going on in every area of the store and are always more than happy to step in when assistance is needed.
Pros
Paid breaks. Great co-workers and management. Happy customers.
Great if you are a young wipper snapper..lol
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 October 2016
I enjoyed it to a point. I liked to help my customers but when it came time for a raise I was actually very disappointed after a year of service to get a .25 cent raise.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
on night shift no place to have a smoke break as we could not exit the store
Always a target to achieve, and freedom of expression at all levels.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
Its Been great working with staples so far. Great benefits and great team. The only concern is very low chances of growing within the company. The culture of putting customers first at all times is a great value at staples. They are strong in customer service.
Relaxed work environment
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
Strong work life balance is encouraged by management. A positive and relaxed work environment. Collaboration and partnership is seen throughout the many teams and departments.
Pros
Flexible work from home
Supportive and high energy workplace
Technology Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 September 2016
I enjoy working for Staples. My management team is extremely supportive and encourages employees to grow every day. I strived to to take on a leadership role and the management team coached me into the role of Technology Consultant. I am pleased to say that with their help I learned to be a stronger leader than ever before. I enjoy communicating with customers and ensuring they leave the store with a total solution. The hardest part of the job is handling unhappy and impatient customers who can sometimes direct their anger towards you as the associate. I have learned to avoid taking it as a personal attack and try to provide the best service possible.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Unhappy customers
Excellent place to work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2016
At Staples I learnt how to work effectively in a team environment and how to talk to interact with customers professionally and respectfully. Manager are there to assist you with any concerns pertaining to your job and career path. Also, I get to work as a Chat Agent, ECommerce Representative and Customer Service. So I learnt to how to communicate with customers through different methods.
Pros
flexible hours
Busy and enjoyable place to work
Level 2 Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 December 2016
At Staples I learned a lot about management and team work. I also learned how to effectively communicate with the customers and other departments.

This is a good place to work if you want to gain valuable customer service experience and also transferable skills if you are looking for another job.
Pros
Valuable customer service experience
Cons
Hourly pay rate is not the greatest
Fun
Administrative Specialist & Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2017
I worked at staples just nearing the end of my highschool years.

if you love retail and love working with people this is a great job to work at.

I eventually worked all the departments within the store, at the time I was aiming for a general manager position.
Pros
lots of training, room to grow
Cons
competitive
Okay Retail Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 January 2017
Electronic and stationary retail store. Expect work and customers to go with these.

The position will teach you a lot about electronic devices.

Hours are erratic at times. Started off good (20+ week) and ended up going down to 5 a week.
Pros
Good First Job
Cons
Pay increase and position advancement are unlikely