Staples Employee Reviews

Excellent Survival Job
East Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 25, 2015
The company would be a good place to work if they paid employees a livable wage and did not try to manipulate employees by insulting their intelligence.The store I worked at had decent management so it was tolerable. A typical day included running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to serve customers. Be warned there is no clearly defined position at this company. Even the Managers' stock shelves. You will be hired as an Easy Tech but you will end up doing anything and everything. Your feet will hurt a lot from standing all day you will miss breaks and management will pretend they did not notice it. It is best to use this company the same way they use you... for money. This is a good job for people who have no choice, need temporary work or a student. It is not a career by any means.
Pros
Helping customers, Co-workers, Clean Environment
Cons
Pay, pressure without incentive, physical discomfort, unaffordable benefits, ect...
I loved working at Staples
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMarch 31, 2016
Staples in Ontario was my most favorite job ever. I only left because i was getting too little hours, unfortunately. Of course, this will change based on location, but Staples is in my opinion the best place to work in retail if you love working with people
Pros
Kind and flexible. Sunlife benefits (top of the line)
Cons
Few hours available.
don't do it!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Mississauga is the busiest hub in Canada
You will be moving boxes of paper (50lbs +) ea by the skid load(2000lbs+). Hand delivery. Everyday.
You WILL work until you are finished your route.
You will not find respect until at least a year on the job.
Most of your training is on the run.
Trucks are ALWAYS a problem..YOURS
Busy season is murder!!
Pros
99% great customers, decent wages, decent benefits
Cons
The busy season, management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I had a great time while I worked there years ago. Excellent benefits and bonuses. More of a small business culture.I was given opportunity to make decisions.
Pros
Career advancemant
Great Company, Cares about Employee's, Potential for Moving Up
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJanuary 28, 2016
I've worked at Staples part-time for over 6 years. Great company, little stress. Excessive amounts of Interviews to get in, however this insures colleagues are suitable for the job, and pull their own weight.
Pros
Very little Stress. Flexible Schedule.
Cons
Salary, When doing a closing shift, never leaving when scheduled.
Pretty good place to work!
Technology Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 12, 2015
Staples was very kind to me during my stay with them. They were willing to work with your schedule as long as it was reasonable. For the position I was working I was paid minimum wage however that was to be expected. Employees are given benefits even if only working part time. The job security wasn't fantastic however as the other store in town was forced to close due to financial pressure. The management addressed concerns I had about different aspects of the job and were generally clear in their expectations. The other employees were willing to give guidance on various procedures which was a great help. There was a slight bit of drama I was annoyed by but it didn't affect me directly so I can't complain too much about that. All in all, probably one of the better retail jobs out there.
Pros
Flexible; benefits; management; atmosphere; events
Cons
Pay (Minimum wage)
Only work here if you have to.
Administrative Specialist / Copy Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2015
Retail...management was unprofessional, often bordering on harassment despite company training- poisoned work environment. Pay was horrible and didn't keep up with inflation. They don't give out good reviews to anyone because they don't want to pay you the extra 25 cents it would entail. Hard to leave on time because of bag checks that you might have to wait 20 minutes or more for. I loved the work, worked hard, did my time, but was relieved to leave.
Pros
Basic benefits
Cons
I could write a book.
Good Company, hard to advance far in career
Associate Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 23, 2015
It is a great company to work for. Great benefits, good hours and a great management team. Hard to advance though, since many of the managers have been here long term and are comfortable in their positions. Usually only opportunity for advancement is when someone quits / they expand departments.

Overall, not a bad experience. Happy to work here.
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Pros
excellent staff, excellent service
Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 11, 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay
Supportive and high energy workplace
Technology Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 11, 2016
I enjoy working for Staples. My management team is extremely supportive and encourages employees to grow every day. I strived to to take on a leadership role and the management team coached me into the role of Technology Consultant. I am pleased to say that with their help I learned to be a stronger leader than ever before. I enjoy communicating with customers and ensuring they leave the store with a total solution. The hardest part of the job is handling unhappy and impatient customers who can sometimes direct their anger towards you as the associate. I have learned to avoid taking it as a personal attack and try to provide the best service possible.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Unhappy customers
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Pros
Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons
No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
Great place to work in and great company values
BDM Copy & Print (Current Employee) –  Golden HorseshoeDecember 2, 2015
Staples is a great place to work in. The company gives back to the community by taking part in raise fund events. It also helps out people with special needs by preparing them for the workforce.
Not bad
Copy Centre (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 29, 2016
It has been a great learning experience working at Staples. It is definitely a more demanding retail chain. This is definitely not a job where you walk in expecting to just walk around and get paid to do nothing. They expect high quality service out of each employee, which I pride myself on. There is continuous training that you go through to keep improving yourself as an employee.
Things are changing quite quickly right now and not necessarily for the best. Management is constantly stressed which can be a hard thing to deal with. Most of the co-worker are really good people. Uplifting, funny loving and just all around nice people with a few exceptions.
Pros
Quarterly fun and games day, occasional free lunches and coffee.
Cons
Stressed managers, not a lot of hours to give to workers but yet three times the amount of work for each person.
Mainly worked alone to complete a variety of tasks and customer orders. Time efficiency and organization is key for success in this position.
Copy Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Copy Centre associate working both alone and in a group, involved in a wide variety of tasks. As a copy centre associate, I was expected to complete orders involved in copying, printing, cutting, and laminating as well as working with a variety of computer software programs to design, edit, and produce customer orders. The management at Staples preferred one associate to work in the copy centre at a time, allowing me to really develop skills in organization and time efficiency as I completed all tasks and customer orders while still attending the cash register. Also had shifts as a cashier in other areas of the store and covering breaks, which involved communication and cooperation with co-workers.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Happy, high spirited, knowledgeable
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONJuly 23, 2016
All of the staff and management are happy, high spirited, knowledgeable people and the customers highly appreciate us for it.
There are lots of opportunity for advancements, which were made very clear in the orientation process, while naming many people who had advancements. Management is absolutely phenomenal and supportive and are well aware of what is going on in every area of the store and are always more than happy to step in when assistance is needed.
Pros
Paid breaks. Great co-workers and management. Happy customers.
Fast paced, learning environment
Aisles/Computers Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
Aisles and Computers offer both stability in hours and constant movement. Goals and quotas get you to push yourself to strive for better. I learned operating programs (Windows 7, 8, 10) along with vital omputer information (ram, processor, hard drive, etc) and had an opportunity to learn about Apple products. Grasped the understanding of front facing products, up-selling, and inventory management. Most people I worked with were easy going, and very work oriented while maintaining a healthy, active personal schedule.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with quotas, which were set by the previous year's completion per week. The most enjoyable part was the fact that it was a safe, reliable and trusting environment with a great staff and management team.
Cons
"Sh-t runs down hill. You're at the bottom."
Wonderful People, Wonderful Place, Wonderful Environment
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 7, 2016
My amazing management at Staples always does their best to work with you and your schedule. They are very understanding and accommodating when they work with you. And they always strive to create an enjoyable work experience and environment for everyone, they want everyone to be happy and comfortable.
Coworkers are always very kind and happy, we easily welcome others into the family and love to chat when we have the time, both on and off the job. We really get to know each other and that makes the Christmas and Summer BBQ the best and most fun experience.
Gave a very memorable entrance to the working world
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2016
My co-workers were the most welcoming group of people, it made me feel very comfortable especially since it was my first job. Management was good as well, trying to accommodate to your life's schedule. I learned a lot about how to deal with the many different kinds of customers, but overall gained a lot of skill in communicating with everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts, as I was employed the month before school started. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the many different products the store sold.
Pros
Location (the centre of Heartland)
Cons
Back-to-school season
Working at Staples call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 4, 2016
I really loved working at Staples call center, they were understanding and accommodating when the time was needed. I enjoyed working for Staples, and getting to talk to the customers from different places in the United States. 99% of the time the customers were friendly, but you do come across the odd grouchy,or racist or just nasty people. But I didn't mind dealing with them, all they want is for someone to listen to what they have to say! The only thing I would complain about the company is that they don't pay enough an hour, Where as other call centers pay almost $20 an hour, Staples would offer minimum or unless you had experience then they would offer a bit more. They have awesome benefit coverage, and paid holiday, so you would think they would pay more to their employees. Price for lunches in the cafeteria was acceptable, Management was great and understanding and there for you if you needed to talk to someone! I just wish they didn't close their doors and moved it to the Philippines because I would still be working there if they didn't move.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Working on important holidays except Christmas