Staples Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Sales Experience.
Technology Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJune 10, 2016
Achieve sales target on weekly basis help in gaining new sales experience.
Analyze customer needs, suggesting the ideal products that meet their requirements whilst cross selling insurance products to customers.
Customer-focused communicator with proven ability to understand and covey complex product information, develop rapport, build strong relationships with customers, and deliver high-impact sales presentations
Maximize sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
Wonderful People, Wonderful Place, Wonderful Environment
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 7, 2016
My amazing management at Staples always does their best to work with you and your schedule. They are very understanding and accommodating when they work with you. And they always strive to create an enjoyable work experience and environment for everyone, they want everyone to be happy and comfortable.
Coworkers are always very kind and happy, we easily welcome others into the family and love to chat when we have the time, both on and off the job. We really get to know each other and that makes the Christmas and Summer BBQ the best and most fun experience.
Time well spent
Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 24, 2016
As management your shifts are 9 hours a day with 2 15min and 1 1/2 hour break, There are 3 shifts per day open, mid and close. Each store deals differently with days off i.e. 2 days off together, weekends off or 2 separate days off. It is great place to work, with good benefits. The staff was great. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the time to learn everything. The best part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
a lot to learn
I learned how to use printers on a business level, and got a good knowledge of electronic devices and how they work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCMay 13, 2016
I helped customers find a computer or electronic device that suited their needs. I learned to operate commercial printers, I enjoyed working there and appreciated the management staff. The hardest part of my job was the lifting of heavy printers, the best part of working at Staples was the customers and finding what they were looking for, and being updated on the latest technology.
Pros
Being updated on the latest technology.
Cons
lifting of heavy printers
Amazing Work Team and Work Tasks
Technology Sales Representative Area (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QCMay 16, 2016
Typical Day:
- Inventory check and stock
- Proposing complete solutions to customers
- Provide after-sales services
- Configuration of electronic devices and installations of products
- Ability to use the cash register, reimburse and exchange products
- Create financing accounts between Desjardins and Staples for
clients
- A team (collegues and employers) is important - Most enjoyable
fun, challenging work, poor management
Computer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves and approaching potential customers. There is much to be learned in regards to technology, computers and printers. The management is a tricky situation. Most of the managers are very easy going, making for a very comfortable workplace environment. However, two of the managers, who happen to be higher up, can be very discouraging at times, making for a very uneasy, up tight and uncomfortable workplace environment. The hardest part of the job is living up to these managers' expectations, being that no matter how hard you try or how well you perform, there will seldom be any recognition of achievement and always plenty of "areas of opportunity".
Always a happy and positive environment
Technician/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 21, 2016
Working with the great people that I get to really makes the biggest difference and makes the day go by so much better and faster because of it. Production is just better also and with the hardest thing would be dealing with angry customers you can always rely on your peers. I enjoy the customer service aspect of working with staples. Overall you learn a lot of patience which I already had before working there.
Repetitive tasks being asked of.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 12, 2016
Not getting to build too many planograms, and getting stuck to do the same old tasks that might not be that important. Sales days would be approaching and new planograms must be built, but the manager proceeds to make workers work on the regular tasks instead of working on future tasks that will bring prophet to the company.
Pros
Just gained work experience to see how retail runs.
Cons
Called out on breaks, not enough members on the floor to help customers, Confussion between manager and workers
productive and Friendliness workplace
Co-op Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 21, 2016
I have successfully completed my Co-op at Staples Canada, Barrie as a supporting technician in Easy Tech department. My roles and responsibilities were to do full computer setup, configuration, maintenance, complete care, Data backup and migration, Data wipe as well as customer service.

It was really a great opportunity for me to work in Staples Canada - Easy Tech department under the guidance of Service Manager, Senior Technicians and staff. I have gained a great technical knowledge and experience as well. I really appreciate their throughout help and support given during Co-op duration. I am also thankful to Staples Canada for giving me such a exiting opportunity.
Pros
good work experience
Cons
No job oppertunities for voluntieer students
Productive Workplace, Hard to get along with staff
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 22, 2016
Overall as a job it's not bad at all, but in my experience the staff members were awful to get along with and they were all very judgmental. I'm younger so that might be why as the part-time staff were very nice, but the older employees seemed to have a thing against younger staff members so I would watch out for that if you are under 30.
Great opportunity to move laterally but layoffs are happening now!
ProActive Chat Representative, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSMarch 29, 2016
I worked at Staples from 2010-2014 and held about 4-5 different positions throughout my time. I was really glad I could apply for new positions so that I wouldn't get bored and want to leave. But many managers seemed like they were micro-managing, and overall the atmosphere was pretty negative from coworkers. Not many were happy to be there, many had been there for YEARS, and we were crammed in like sardines. And then they started outsourcing.
Pros
Assigned desks, opportunities to apply for other positions
Cons
Negative coworkers, micro-managing, layoffs in favour of outsourcing
co worker is productive.
Overnight Stocker Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 9, 2016
with the new supervision, they don't care about what is happening in the store. they don't know how to appreciate the hardwork and no appreciation nor recognition for their night team. they talk to much without and pretend that they do something. like what the upper management, they focus on their mobile rather than attending the needs of the customers.
Typical retail environment
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Customers talk to you like you don't know anything, no chances for advancement, very little job security, sometimes management was very poor depending on location. Only good thing I have to say about the place is I enjoyed working with the other associates.
Pros
Learn great interpersonal skills
Cons
No job security, no advancement opportunities, get poorly treated by customers and sometimes management
good light hearted evironment
Technology sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2016
not the best place for perminant work, and isnt made easy to live off the wages they pay. im disappointed that they dont know how to treat their loyal staff with any sort of respect, and are willing to destroy peoples lives by cutting hours way back with little to no notice.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
poor wages, and poor staff loyalty from the superiors
Do stock, prices and help clients.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
I work on the floor so when there is stock for the night I have to finish it, if there is no stock or I finish it before my shift I have to fill the isles. While I'm doing my tasks I help out clients at the same time, most of time I sell chairs to clients. At the end of my shift when I work at night I have to do price changes if theres any.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
small shifts
Gave a very memorable entrance to the working world
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2016
My co-workers were the most welcoming group of people, it made me feel very comfortable especially since it was my first job. Management was good as well, trying to accommodate to your life's schedule. I learned a lot about how to deal with the many different kinds of customers, but overall gained a lot of skill in communicating with everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts, as I was employed the month before school started. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the many different products the store sold.
Pros
Location (the centre of Heartland)
Cons
Back-to-school season
Very friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QCMarch 11, 2016
Ideal for any part-time student job. Management is extremely friendly, flexible and open to employee suggestions. Co-workers are mostly young adults which makes it a very hip and friendly work environment. Downside of this job is that management can't afford to allocate many hours for their employees for the greater part of the year. On the other hand, all employees become full-time employees during the back to school period; it can get pretty crazy at times.
Pros
Very flexible hours, friendly management and coworkers
Cons
Might get bored when there are no customers
Great learning opportunity for people with tech background.
Assistant Technician (Temporary Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to learn and experience retail and better you're communication skills. Also teaches you about different technologies. Staples is a great place if you have a tech background.
Pros
Improve communication skills and technical skills.
Cons
Negative customers/consumers
Not bad
Copy Centre (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 29, 2016
It has been a great learning experience working at Staples. It is definitely a more demanding retail chain. This is definitely not a job where you walk in expecting to just walk around and get paid to do nothing. They expect high quality service out of each employee, which I pride myself on. There is continuous training that you go through to keep improving yourself as an employee.
Things are changing quite quickly right now and not necessarily for the best. Management is constantly stressed which can be a hard thing to deal with. Most of the co-worker are really good people. Uplifting, funny loving and just all around nice people with a few exceptions.
Pros
Quarterly fun and games day, occasional free lunches and coffee.
Cons
Stressed managers, not a lot of hours to give to workers but yet three times the amount of work for each person.
I loved working at Staples
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMarch 31, 2016
Staples in Ontario was my most favorite job ever. I only left because i was getting too little hours, unfortunately. Of course, this will change based on location, but Staples is in my opinion the best place to work in retail if you love working with people
Pros
Kind and flexible. Sunlife benefits (top of the line)
Cons
Few hours available.