Staples

4K reviews

Staples Employee Reviews

Overall good company to work for, poisoned by terrible management at store level
Merchandiser/Aisles Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 7, 2016
Horrible management at the store level. Was told by my GM that I was "never allowed t sell a computer again" because of minor mistakes I made in an area I was never trained instead of offering to train me. Maybe if they actually spent the money to have more sales people in the store I wouldn't get dragged over there. The other manager, divisional sales or something is constantly being sarcastic when I ask him questions or hardly ever listens when I talk to him on the phone. very unprofessional and can't wait to leave.
Pros
Free lunches once in a while, I`ll be able to quit soon
Cons
Treated poorly, un-appreciated, degraded by management, bad pay, horrible hours.
Being productive in all tasks
Night stocker (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Working alongside different co-workers to see how well we work with one another
Having to work with other crew members working on renovations as well
Worked well enough to the point where everyone got own tasks
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
Graveyard shift
Professional,
Customer Service/ Aisle Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Cash was great, amazing customers, great co-workers, Working at staples at time i did with the management i did was amazing it taught me a lot about customer service, and going above and beyond the customers expectations.
Overall Staples was a good place to work.
Category Specialist (Buyer) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Was able to learn a lot about the retail industry. The opportunity is there if you want to learn about other divisions; was given the opportunity to travel on occasions. Feedback was valued by management.
Excellent Service
Retail Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
I started off at Staples as a co-op student so the employees were familiar with me. The service at Staples is wonderful, and they make you feel like you're part of the team. I was in charge of the Ink and Toner section, so a typical day for me would be to get the products from the receiving room and stock all the products into their specific shelves. I assisted in customer service, by helping clients find out what they were looking for, and I also helped customers bring heavy products to their vehicle. The Staples staff and management love to see you do well by helping the company achieve their goals, and they give you positive feedback on how you can do better.
Pros
excellent staff, excellent service
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
- Helped with customer inquiries
- Provided information on company's products and services
- Co-workers are very nice and helpful
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Slow days
not enough training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 14, 2016
not enough training for new hires. left alone too early needed more guidance got hired for no reason. it was a busy place during the season
Wonderful place to work
COPY AND PRINT LEAD (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONDecember 30, 2015
Fast paced environment meant to challenge you. Meet new people everyday. Feel empowered to make choices. Scheduling was always very flexible and fairly balanced. The company have labour challenges to reduce labour hours that resulted in lowered staff morale.
Exciting challenges and supportive workplace. Many years in retail and other work but this was the most rewarding and enjoyable.
manager training (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 17, 2015
I started as an 'older' associate in the office. It was both challenging and rewarding with team support and encouragement. Opportunities to try new things and support to get there. Fun times with a professional approach. Lots of efforts to maintain good morale and offer training and development. Willing to try to do new things with a well educated or experienced management team.
Pros
lunch room and work out area, Pleasant environment
Cons
Leaving. Wish I had not left
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABDecember 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be, from the time I start my shift, I am on the till all day. I great the customers coming in and leaving. I scan their items, put the items in a bag when needed, complete transactions in cash, debit/credit, hand their receipt and wish them a great day before they leave. Sometimes I would get a customer with a return or exchange and I would gladly help them out. I also offer guidance and assistance with finding certain products or services. I learned a great deal of communication skills, organizational skills and interpersonal skills. The management and co-workers are friendly and they treat everyone like a working family. The hardest part of the job is when it gets really busy and stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and having some fun activities every once in a while.
Pros
fun activities, free food on occasions, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Grumpy customers
Great place to work with a very supportive team.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 5, 2015
Friendly and enjoyable working environment with a great set of managers and associates. Focus is on employee development from head office to store level.

One challenging aspect is not having a set schedule for week to week.
Pros
Great management team and working environment
Cons
Not a set schedule.
tv in break room
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCDecember 5, 2015
worked as a customer service representative, able to make orders for delivery for customers for furniture, great staff throughout my time there
Excellant Co-workers
Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONDecember 4, 2015
Excellent place to grow your Leadership abilities, lots of available training for those wanting to improve sales and Management skills.
store
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
great people to work with and great environment. just not the best management team. loved the people i work with and the hours were great. wish other people were trained for my position
Friendly environment
Technology Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
This job teaches you a lot about how to interact with different customers, and how to relay their specific needs with a product that you have in the store. The friendly atmosphere allows for an effective way to sell but also have fun while doing so.
Staples sells supplies, office machines, promotional products, furniture, technology, and business services both in stores and online
Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONNovember 20, 2015
Engaged clientele with a friendly and professional demeanor and resolved concerns in a diplomatic and tactful manner. Followed all correct cash register operations, as well as maintaining integrity while entering services into the cash register.
Wasn't the best atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONNovember 14, 2015
Wasn't the greatest place to work. I worked there for three years in various different roles. High employee turnover. Wasn't the best place to work.
Fun
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2015
i love vounteering here every year its always festive got a t shirt and ecouraged other to join jbg camp there was a fair going on as well
The day in the life of Staples associates
Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 22, 2015
Engage clientele with a friendly professional demeanor as they entered the store. As a lead in the service department, I ensured customer satisfaction while processing purchases and resolved customer concerns through returns and exchanges. Provided guidance, motivation, and assisted in training and development of new associates while ensuring that tasks were performed with high standards of quality.

One of the most memorable experiences that I learned was how to be oblivious to distractions while multi-tasking.

Management was a team group effort and we had each others back during challenging times.

Co-workers were diverse in both values and beliefs, which brought to our team intellectual diversity

The hardest part of the job was when unhappy customers would leave the store, knowing you had done your best to satisfy their needs. That being said, the most gratifying is when we would solve their concern or issues that lead to loyal clientele following.
Pros
Team support
Cons
standing long hours
Busy, fun exciting place to work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brampton OntarioOctober 20, 2015
Great company to work for. Customers , staff and management were all wonderful and although we were business oriented we had a lot of fun and laughter.I loved the challenges and over coming them. ( such as selling warranties) They also had a great home accessable training centre where you could take modules on your own and aquire extra knowledge.