Staples Employee Reviews

Retail Sales Associate
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 July 2017
I have learned how to help with client to find the right equipment. And I also how to associate with people most part of the time if they needed help.
Pros
Sandwich & Drinks
Cons
Half an Hour
Fun place to work at
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2017
All the associates that you work with here at Staples are great. Personality and everything is great at the workplace. The management needs some help at times. And sometimes there isn't enough employees working especially for tech. They need more people working at once, but then again they have limited hours to work with.
Work with great people who are super fun and motivated. Time managment feels a bit disorganized.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2017
I felt it's been really fun working here and it has expanded my interpersonal and communication skills. The only downside is that I do not know if I will be garanteed position and I came in wanting full time but I'm working only part time.
Pros
Two thirty minute long breaks, nearby to house.
Cons
Not garanteed position by the time fall comes.
awesome workplace
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 July 2017
It is a distribution centre but as busy as they always are somehow the employees are never too tired to get their day's work done. Awesome culture and salaray/benefits too.
Extremely Poor Management
Copy & Print Centre Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2017
I was a Copy & Print Centre Lead and I enjoyed how every day was a little different. I loved the job itself.
But I found the company and the store I worked at to be very poorly managed. Their HR department is more concerned about maintaining their good relationships with store managers than solving problems for employees. There were very low standards set for store management, and higher ups were completely unknowledgeable about what was going on in any of their stores or departments, nor did they care to learn.
On an average day, I would find myself doing my own job, answering phones, cashiering, managing the customer service desk, doing all of the Copy Centre Managers' duties, and some of the Store Managers' duties. I would frequently take my work home with me, (both emotionally and physically) and would be "on call" when I was not at work. I was not paid for this time, and was paid just over minimum wage the rest of the time.
Additionally, Staples offers large bonuses to the heads of their technology department for increased sales, but not to other department heads. I would receive a pat on the back, at most. Something to keep in mind, if you have the choice between working in technology or copy centre!
I also did not appreciate the company's approach to local business. They were blatant and loud about their desire to "run the mom and pop shops into the ground," and more energy was put into "stealing" customers from other businesses than gaining new ones.
I started my job feeling optimistic and excited, and left two years later feeling overworked, underpaid, under-appreciated,
  more... and completely defeated.  less
Pros
Interesting job, flexible hours
Cons
Poor management, thankless job, poor pay, stressful
One of my favorite jobs
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 July 2017
During my time at staples, I worked as a cashier and as a copy center associate. During my time in the copy center, I learned a lot about different office equipment such as: copiers, laminating, and prints. I built relationships with many customers and helped them with their copy needs by making suggestions. I loved every part of working at Staples.
Pros
Interesting Work
Company Growing and Changing
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vaughana, ON11 July 2017
Things are always changing and they are always busy. Empolyees
working evenings and weekends to get their their task completed. More training required for new staff.
Pros
good social activitiews
Cons
Very fun place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2017
This was by far my most loved job. Every week I got roughly the same hours so I knew what to expect, staff was amazing and management was pretty good too. Small employee group so everyone got close and had everyones backs.
Pros
Early closing on the weekends
Cons
Can be dead sometimes
Love my job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS1 July 2017
I have learned a lot over the last two years as a customer service rep. I was extremely lucky to have such a great supportive staff. My position can be frustrating dealing directly with customers - but i know i am always supported and backed up with my managers and associates.
Really Cool people to work with
Sales Associate/Cashier/ Furniture Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC29 June 2017
Staples was my first job and I'm glad it was, it taught me so much customer service skills that I will remember for the rest of my career life, I'm forever grateful!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Overnight Loader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 June 2017
A typical day at work is to get to the plant for 7 pm and be ready to go to work until about 6 am. On the job you will be lifting boxes in and out trucks, lifting wooden skids and place them in the proper places, and scanning boxes in and out of trucks.
Cons
Your day is ruined because you have to sleep through it
Temp contract night shift Renovation
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 June 2017
Got along with most of the staff. worked hard at replacing shelving and planograms for the face lift during fall 2015. I am better suited in customer service and previously worked at Shoppers Drug Mart.
Making work fun, even in tough times.
Stocker/relocator (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS24 June 2017
Sometimes work isnt always fun, and ya sometimes have to incorperate fun into it. ive learned that its alwayts a bonus to help out someone who is having a rough time at work, or even while im working. the positive outcome of it always puts smiles on. negitivity is for outside of work. always have a positive attitude. Hardest part of a job would be different for everyone. i alway say there is never a stupid question, to learn ya must ask questions, & the most enjoyable part of work would be the social life & learning new skills and abilities.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
The fact that it was just temporary work.
Wasnt bad
Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 June 2017
I found they really made us push the extended warrantee too much. And i was hired to work in the tech lab fixing computers but instead they had me selling products mainly.
Pros
Was easy work
Environnement dynamique
Conseiller en informatique, Technicien (Current Employee) –  Rosemère, QC21 June 2017
Je me suis engagé pour être technicien. Un mouvement de personnel était prévu pour mon poste mais il ne l'on pas fait. Donc je suis vendeur et conseiller et je veux aller de l'avant
Pros
Activité ou sorti d'equipe
Cons
La pression sur les ventes
Good workplace first a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NB20 June 2017
I was working in sales where I had to sell computer witch it was my first job and I didn't know a lot abut selling and computer a the time, and it made it very hard a lost interest
Good for a first job, terrible for long-term
COMPUTER SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
On one hand, it's a good place to start and to begin developing skills in customer service and in other general labour tasks, as well as a good management team that is willing to listen (depending on location, of course), and naturally job security. That, however, is where the pros end. Hours can be cut without warning and it can be incredibly difficult, almost impossible, to make any progress up the corporate ladder, and throughout my almost three year employment I only made ten cents more than minimum wage.
Fun Place
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 June 2017
Its not bad place too work , but growth in the company is not really good.There is Job security in the company. Management is not bad. Salary is not good.
environnement de travail
Représentant Surface de Vente (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 June 2017
environnement très compétitif vis a vis les ventes avec une excellente équipe
Not a bad company
Divisional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 June 2017
Quite structured; good training; too many levels of management. Reporting structure not as clear as could be especially when travelling to work in other stores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.