Staples Employee Reviews

Management skills is not good enough
Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2017
Maximizes sales opportunities with every customer by using current selling techniques and company programs.
Leads selling in the technology and furniture departments and cultivates a selling culture with associates working in the departments in order to achieve current goals and targets.
Provides assistance to associates in the department through training and coaching with regular follow up.
Partners with direct supervisor (or management) to achieve short and long term goals for the technology and furniture departments.
No recognition for work done, no chances for advancement.
Associer de vente (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC13 March 2017
Working at Bureau en Gros in the Plateau is like being part of a family, one where you're never appreciated for the work you do, one where at any time if you happen to fall ill or need a week off you will loose your hours and will have to live off the minimum wage with 8hrs a week, one where there's always that one supervisor who's always bad mouthing every employee for every small reason. In short "a family you might never want to spend time with". Harsh words I know but I've seen them take away peoples livelihood at the drop of a hat with those precious words, everyone is replaceable.
I do not wish to be associated with this company anymore.
Pros
plenty of time off
Cons
plenty of time off
its an alright place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC26 January 2017
The job is ok but there is alot of in job drama, rules are constantly changing, management doesnt seem to ever be on the same page, hours fluctuate , training is bare minimum theres alot of favoritism and the schedules are constantly changing hours are always cut back and all in all unless your on the floor doing sales or are full time your the lowest on the totem pole, worked here for a little while and I left because all in all theres to much drama in this store, bullying, and everyone is in everyones business. You arent given the hours your promised, and hour cut backs are always taking place constantly, it becomes frustrating
Pros
friendly customers and clean work place
Cons
improper training, managers yell at their employees when mistakes are made
alot of events and on boarding parties, fun and creative enviroment
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 January 2017
They were bought out and were merged together which caused a lot of change and turn over because of it. my team was in change of the profiles to the new profiles and platforms. and work with merchandising dept, creative department, and salesperson for each account. and keep them on track with deadlines and new launches for new business. added prices to items on the system and changed prices for sales items. and added text and french text to the web page. always on time
Pros
free promotional items
Staples Canada
Copy and Print Associate,Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 March 2017
Staples in Surrey is a great experience that has opened me to a wide and diverse range of customers and has helped me grow my interpersonal skills greatly. Management is kind and will genuinely put forward their best effort to help the employees or customer.
Pros
Free Coffee and the occasional lunch
Cons
Mostly University workers so there is a large application pool
Inviting work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 February 2017
Being a sales associate at staples, your day would consist of, reviewing your previous sales results, making a goal of the present day sales, assist customers and constantly up-sell. Staples teaches you how to be confident and natural with customers, to be able to get to the point and show them what their looking for in little time.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Not very organized
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS31 January 2017
I really really enjoy working with all the other employee's, the work place was good, managers were very understanding and hours were really amazing. Staples is probably the best work place I have ever worked in so far. I learned that patients is key and to never let a customer talk you out of something you said to get something better.
Pros
Good Employees
Cons
Great work place with great benefits and people.
Computer Sales (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 December 2016
Staples was a great job. It allowed me to utilize the skills I already had to help others. Customer service is a field in which I enjoy working. I learned how to deal with customers who were upset and how to rectify said issue.

The technology department taught me a lot on the latest products, which in turn would allow me to assist customers with any questions they may have. The repair depot also taught me how to work through problems with pc hardware and software. A skill that will forever be useful.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent place to work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2016
At Staples I learnt how to work effectively in a team environment and how to talk to interact with customers professionally and respectfully. Manager are there to assist you with any concerns pertaining to your job and career path. Also, I get to work as a Chat Agent, ECommerce Representative and Customer Service. So I learnt to how to communicate with customers through different methods.
Pros
flexible hours
Great Team
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2017
We had a really great team at Staples from the cashiers to the management to the computer Consultants to the aisle staff we were just great I think we felt like we were really accomplishing something as a team and me working there for those 5 years I made the best friends that I've ever met in any of my jobs.
Pros
Team work...hrs of work
Cons
Not evough money...no advancement for cashiers
Good benefits, employee treatment mediocre
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2017
The job position is very reliable with good hours and a moderate amount of training provided to work the job smoothly. The management places work load unevenly between employees and favourites are a common occurrence with disregard to employee performance.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Unfair workload distribution
Busy and enjoyable place to work
Level 2 Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 December 2016
At Staples I learned a lot about management and team work. I also learned how to effectively communicate with the customers and other departments.

This is a good place to work if you want to gain valuable customer service experience and also transferable skills if you are looking for another job.
Pros
Valuable customer service experience
Cons
Hourly pay rate is not the greatest
Slow workplace and barely any hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC3 March 2017
Very laid back at work. Not much going on, just saying hi to people entering the store and standing at the till. Management was having constant problems with people leaving due to lack of hours resulting in little pay. Coworkers were very friendly however employees needs weren't accounted for.
Pros
Breaks on time
Cons
Lack of hours
Great but pays poorly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Area1 December 2016
Love the job and totally dedicated to it. Management is engaged, friendly and understanding. It can get very busy though so you can easily find your self running around like madman. Most of the time it is a team environment but often some associates slack off or take the lazy route which causes more work for everyone else. One of the biggest issues for me is the terrible computer systems that impead your abilities to help customers efficiently. Overall though I would say that Staples is a great place to work if you can get past the low pay and no overtime.
Pros
Almost all the staff are amazing, friendly work environment, working indoors, flexible hours, helping customers.
Cons
Pay, Little chance to move up the ladder, computer systems, education.
Fun and friendly workplace
Aisle/Furniture Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON19 March 2017
Staples was a great experience and provided supportive working conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to contribute to the order, cleanliness and aesthetics of the store. Management was friendly and cared about the well-being of employees.
Pros
Supportive work environment
A great company to work for.
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2017
I great job for anyone looking for a retail position. The company offers many opportunities for advancement.

Great atmosphere, very focused on engaging their employees and ensuring that all employees are treated fairly.
Pros
Many opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Minimum wage for starting positions.
Dead end
Resident Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB13 January 2017
Little to no opportunity for advancement, unlicensed technicians, basically this is nothing but a job for high school kids, hopefully only for those with enough good sense to get out before the terrible work environment claims another manager and they actually do, on those rare opportunities, go looking for new blood.
Great management from the top down
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2016
Staples fulfillment center in Winnipeg is honestly the best job I have had in my life. The management is smart, they know that a well treated employee will produce much more than if they were ruled with an iron fist.
Having said that, it is very important that a company hire people with a positive attitude, as to not poison the crew with negativity. This branch has done just that, and I have never had the privilege of working with such a great bunch.
I hope for many more years at this location :)

Happy job hunting everybody, and don't settle for just anything if you can, it may be the best move you ever made.
Pros
Great management, Genuine team spirit, Free coffee (Keuig), New building, Mint condition machines
Cons
Its not in an area serviced by public transit
Fun
Administrative Specialist & Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2017
I worked at staples just nearing the end of my highschool years.

if you love retail and love working with people this is a great job to work at.

I eventually worked all the departments within the store, at the time I was aiming for a general manager position.
Pros
lots of training, room to grow
Cons
competitive
Good experience
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON missusaga22 December 2016
Good experience in my life friendly atmosphere best managedment.i work hard there regularly and did not make a sick call even one day in my three year job.iam fully comfortable at workplace whole three years .some time my G.M give me rewards to me for my good job and I fully enjoy my benefits all other benifits some times bonus