Staples Employee Reviews

Good people, Approachable management, fun events, and lots of learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 November 2016
Staples was a good place to work,. We had CS rep relationship events twice a year for a week. We did monthly events by an engagement team, of which I was personally involved to give reps, and management competitions, food contests, etc. Management was Always very good to deal with. They were Always approachable, patient, helpful. with a smile.
A typical day at work would be answering inbound calls, taking orders, payments, doing resolution for customer issues.
My coworkers, were open, and helpful, and fantastic. We were a very diverse company, so along with the job, we learned so much from one another.
I can't really define a hard part of the job. I really did not find it difficult.
But the best part was getting up and going to work everyday.
Pros
Special fun events, great benefits, and RRSP & Stock plans
Cons
could be abit repititous at times
Great if you are a young wipper snapper..lol
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 October 2016
I enjoyed it to a point. I liked to help my customers but when it came time for a raise I was actually very disappointed after a year of service to get a .25 cent raise.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
on night shift no place to have a smoke break as we could not exit the store
Always a target to achieve, and freedom of expression at all levels.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
Its Been great working with staples so far. Great benefits and great team. The only concern is very low chances of growing within the company. The culture of putting customers first at all times is a great value at staples. They are strong in customer service.
Bureau en gros
Directrice divisionnaire des ventes (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC1 November 2016
Overall great experience. Good benefits and a good balance with family and work. Lots of "employee day". Back to school was really busy but fun. Working weekends and nights were hard once I had my kids.
Pros
benefits, good balance, lots of team work
Cons
working nights and weekends
Unpredictable hours, unfair pay, enormous workload, and tons of sales pressure.
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Unrealistic sales expectations and pressure ruin this job. If you're looking for an easy part time sales job, look elsewhere because the amount of sales pressure put upon you is insane. When you fail to meet weekly quotas they cut your hours, and then when you ask for help and you actually have determination to improve there is no one to really help. The pay is unfair because you need to be very well versed with computer hardware (CPU's, clock speeds, RAM frequencies, etc.). If you do not know how to explain computer specs to a customer and explain the benefits of A or B then you will NOT be able to sell, and there is very little to no training on this. And on top of that you need to know HOW to sell, stock shelves, do pull lists, operate stock pickers, and book in computers for repair. The pay is unfair when you realize that the cashier gets paid the exact same as you but they just have to stand there the entire shift while you're overworked and running all over the place all the while your GM asks you "why are your numbers are so low."
Pros
Experience
Cons
Almost everything
Typical call center
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 July 2016
Answered calls for customer service, billing inquiries, took catalogue orders over the phone, credit card issues, tracking orders through UPS
The hardest part of my job was being attached to the phone all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with Americans and learning different things about the States.
Got along well with co-workers
Pros
great benifits and hourly wages
Cons
Being attached to the phone all day
Time well spent
Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2016
As management your shifts are 9 hours a day with 2 15min and 1 1/2 hour break, There are 3 shifts per day open, mid and close. Each store deals differently with days off i.e. 2 days off together, weekends off or 2 separate days off. It is great place to work, with good benefits. The staff was great. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the time to learn everything. The best part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
a lot to learn
Fun Workplace with a lot of learning and growth potential
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SK29 April 2016
A very good company to learn processes and to develop own self professionally.
Lots to learn!

Great Management which fosters an environment of learning and growing within the company.
The team always looks after you.
Pros
Relocation Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Great company to work for.
Copy and Print Centre Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 July 2016
Head office staff, technicians, management and staff are always so helpful and friendly. Good benefits, matching RSP's.
Excellent Workplace
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 September 2016
My experience with Staples was phenomenal, the staff are great, management even better, could not have asked for a better job. Training was by far the best i have experienced, really goes in depth with training and very thorough. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about the company and people i have worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i was promoted to Technology, really enjoyed making sales, the customer interactions, and learning the knowledge of the products and becoming more aware of the knew products coming out. Made you really stay at the top of your game. However it was time for me to move on after the years in order to progress in my career that will offer more.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Not the best pay
not much fro the employees
tech sales and services representitive (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB4 July 2016
employees at a small staples will have the benifits of a lack of training a lack of managment training no real pros no real cons just missing something
Excellent Survival Job
East Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 December 2015
The company would be a good place to work if they paid employees a livable wage and did not try to manipulate employees by insulting their intelligence.The store I worked at had decent management so it was tolerable. A typical day included running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to serve customers. Be warned there is no clearly defined position at this company. Even the Managers' stock shelves. You will be hired as an Easy Tech but you will end up doing anything and everything. Your feet will hurt a lot from standing all day you will miss breaks and management will pretend they did not notice it. It is best to use this company the same way they use you... for money. This is a good job for people who have no choice, need temporary work or a student. It is not a career by any means.
Pros
Helping customers, Co-workers, Clean Environment
Cons
Pay, pressure without incentive, physical discomfort, unaffordable benefits, ect...
My experience at Staples
Cashier/ Aisles (Former Employee) –  Staples Alberta 130th Avenue location12 September 2016
A typical day at Staples was quite enjoyable. I am close with many employees. All were very good roll models to me. I had many tasks to complete everyday and was always efficient enough to get them done. I would do a report on one aisle everyday day of the week. After completing the report and looking for merchandise i would down stock the entire front half and back half of the aisle. After fully down stocking the aisle i would do stock that was received that day. Anywhere from 1-30 pallets of stock i would work on daily. The management was very happy to see how hard i work and how efficiently i work and complete so much in a short amount of time. I was consistently recognized for my attitude and energy. Throughout the day I'm also helping customers with all there needs and questions. I also would cover breaks at the tills when the cashier wanted to take her breaks. I was placing orders online for customers if we didn't have the product in store. I would also call other staples in Calgary to transfer in product that we don't have in stock to be able to get the product to the customer that they are asking for. The hardest part of the job was the beginning, learning where all the product went, how to work the scanners and also how to organize tasks so they are completed efficiently and properly the first time. I developed all those skills needed in a short amount of time and it was often recognized. After one year i was promoted to Aisles Lead/Captain. This job consisted of training everyone in aisles new or previous employees. I trained them everything there was to know about  more... aisles. I was always open with them and welcomed them to ask any questions. I wrote lists of tasks for the night associate before leaving work. Writing the list i found helped the management for that night it gave them a idea of what needed to be done and they could guide the associate if they had any questions about the tasks. Leading the entire half of the store was most definitely one of my favorite things. Loved to watch people grow and learn. I consistently recognized all people i trained. When the employees were doing a good job i found it very important to be encouraging and proud. If they had any struggles they knew they could ask. If i noticed they were having difficulty completing a task i would talk to them and go over it with them to help them further understand. After doing that i would personally help them with the task just in case they had any questions or concerns. The other benefits were working with all my fellow associates, and interacting with customers and helping them with what they needed. It felt great to be able to help customers. I also liked doing the stock, once all pallets were empty you feel accomplished and you know you made a difference and also made the management very happy. I've taken a lot from this experience and I am ready to begin another chapter and experience and learn more.  less
Pros
Work benefits, Great staff, Supportive managers
Cons
Low wage, looking for something now that pays more
I loved working at Staples
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON31 March 2016
Staples in Ontario was my most favorite job ever. I only left because i was getting too little hours, unfortunately. Of course, this will change based on location, but Staples is in my opinion the best place to work in retail if you love working with people
Pros
Kind and flexible. Sunlife benefits (top of the line)
Cons
Few hours available.
Happy, high spirited, knowledgeable
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 July 2016
All of the staff and management are happy, high spirited, knowledgeable people and the customers highly appreciate us for it.
There are lots of opportunity for advancements, which were made very clear in the orientation process, while naming many people who had advancements. Management is absolutely phenomenal and supportive and are well aware of what is going on in every area of the store and are always more than happy to step in when assistance is needed.
Pros
Paid breaks. Great co-workers and management. Happy customers.
Great Place
Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON12 May 2016
Loved working for staples, Very likely to reunite with them when my ability to commute becomes a reality.

The best part of the job is keeping up on all the latest tech.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Store Closures
Great management from the top down
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2016
Staples fulfillment center in Winnipeg is honestly the best job I have had in my life. The management is smart, they know that a well treated employee will produce much more than if they were ruled with an iron fist.
Having said that, it is very important that a company hire people with a positive attitude, as to not poison the crew with negativity. This branch has done just that, and I have never had the privilege of working with such a great bunch.
I hope for many more years at this location :)

Happy job hunting everybody, and don't settle for just anything if you can, it may be the best move you ever made.
Pros
Great management, Genuine team spirit, Free coffee (Keuig), New building, Mint condition machines
Cons
Its not in an area serviced by public transit
Great but pays poorly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Area1 December 2016
Love the job and totally dedicated to it. Management is engaged, friendly and understanding. It can get very busy though so you can easily find your self running around like madman. Most of the time it is a team environment but often some associates slack off or take the lazy route which causes more work for everyone else. One of the biggest issues for me is the terrible computer systems that impead your abilities to help customers efficiently. Overall though I would say that Staples is a great place to work if you can get past the low pay and no overtime.
Pros
Almost all the staff are amazing, friendly work environment, working indoors, flexible hours, helping customers.
Cons
Pay, Little chance to move up the ladder, computer systems, education.
don't do it!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON15 February 2016
Mississauga is the busiest hub in Canada
You will be moving boxes of paper (50lbs +) ea by the skid load(2000lbs+). Hand delivery. Everyday.
You WILL work until you are finished your route.
You will not find respect until at least a year on the job.
Most of your training is on the run.
Trucks are ALWAYS a problem..YOURS
Busy season is murder!!
Pros
99% great customers, decent wages, decent benefits
Cons
The busy season, management
Supportive and high energy workplace
Technology Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 September 2016
I enjoy working for Staples. My management team is extremely supportive and encourages employees to grow every day. I strived to to take on a leadership role and the management team coached me into the role of Technology Consultant. I am pleased to say that with their help I learned to be a stronger leader than ever before. I enjoy communicating with customers and ensuring they leave the store with a total solution. The hardest part of the job is handling unhappy and impatient customers who can sometimes direct their anger towards you as the associate. I have learned to avoid taking it as a personal attack and try to provide the best service possible.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Unhappy customers