Staples Employee Reviews

Horrible management, not enough training.
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 December 2016
I worked in the Burlington location and did not enjoy my position past two weeks.

They tricked me into working in the Copy and Print center, promising it would be temporary and that they'd move me to the tech center.

After six months of nothing changing in my position and them putting me as a cashier, the stress of the copy center forced me to leave.

Working in the copy center you are alone a lot of the time and it is chaotic. There needs to be two people in there at all times.

Managers were passive agressive and had no idea how to assist in the copy center. Absolutely no training there at all. There were petty arguments between employees, and some of the employees got away with things they shouldn't have such as bad mouthing other employees and storming out of their position only to be forgiven a few minutes later.

Was promised to have someone talk with me about how we could work with my anxiety and how to make my job as stress free as possible and nobody ever kept their promise.

Cash was easy, but they threw me in there with no training.

Don't take a copy and print position if you are anxious or easily stressed out. It is very chaotic and nobody but the people who work solely in the print center are trained on how to do anything in the print center.

You do get benefits after 6 months, however no matter if you're part or full time.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours for the most part.
Cons
Horrible managers, untrained staff, no room to grow.
Great but pays poorly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Area1 December 2016
Love the job and totally dedicated to it. Management is engaged, friendly and understanding. It can get very busy though so you can easily find your self running around like madman. Most of the time it is a team environment but often some associates slack off or take the lazy route which causes more work for everyone else. One of the biggest issues for me is the terrible computer systems that impead your abilities to help customers efficiently. Overall though I would say that Staples is a great place to work if you can get past the low pay and no overtime.
Pros
Almost all the staff are amazing, friendly work environment, working indoors, flexible hours, helping customers.
Cons
Pay, Little chance to move up the ladder, computer systems, education.
Great work culture, teamwork, recognition
Ecommerce Merchandising Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 November 2016
A typical day will involve working with people from various departments on a diverse number of projects. I learned from every aspects of the role, from co-workers and managers. Everyone works as a team and is willing to help with anything.
Pros
Company culture, great people
Cons
Job advancement
professional
Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 November 2016
A very nice and professional place to work in. The management was very professional, very helpful at times and ready to teach the new aspects in job. Great place.
Good Job during high School
Furniture Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
good job to work while i was still in school, really flexiable with the hours and shifts as they know i am still in school. pretty fun job, and interacting with a lot of people was nice too
Good people, Approachable management, fun events, and lots of learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 November 2016
Staples was a good place to work,. We had CS rep relationship events twice a year for a week. We did monthly events by an engagement team, of which I was personally involved to give reps, and management competitions, food contests, etc. Management was Always very good to deal with. They were Always approachable, patient, helpful. with a smile.
A typical day at work would be answering inbound calls, taking orders, payments, doing resolution for customer issues.
My coworkers, were open, and helpful, and fantastic. We were a very diverse company, so along with the job, we learned so much from one another.
I can't really define a hard part of the job. I really did not find it difficult.
But the best part was getting up and going to work everyday.
Pros
Special fun events, great benefits, and RRSP & Stock plans
Cons
could be abit repititous at times
Great management from the top down
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2016
Staples fulfillment center in Winnipeg is honestly the best job I have had in my life. The management is smart, they know that a well treated employee will produce much more than if they were ruled with an iron fist.
Having said that, it is very important that a company hire people with a positive attitude, as to not poison the crew with negativity. This branch has done just that, and I have never had the privilege of working with such a great bunch.
I hope for many more years at this location :)

Happy job hunting everybody, and don't settle for just anything if you can, it may be the best move you ever made.
Pros
Great management, Genuine team spirit, Free coffee (Keuig), New building, Mint condition machines
Cons
Its not in an area serviced by public transit
retail environment and all the things that go with it
Computer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador17 November 2016
Friendly co-workers and decent hours. Retail so that comes with its own issues. Often asked to cover other lunches or fill in for sick employees in different departments(not trained for) and causing own work to fall behind.
Staples is a standard retail job, so its up to you to make it fun and worthwhile
Technology sales and services associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
A typical day would to do a morning checklist, consisting of security of product on the floor. During this time I would also take the time to take a look around my department and identify problem areas, stock is low or missing, product not properly secured with security wraps etc..

I learned a great deal while working at staples, the biggest of which is being able to keep your calm while under pressure. This is one of many skills that working retail can give you. fast consistent decision making, customer first mentality, working with others to complete a single task. dividing up work based on co-workers strengths and weaknesses.

At my location it was the coworkers that made working their fun and worthwhile, coming into work knowing that no matter how bad of a day it could be, that there is someone there to help is what makes retail worth it
Not My Forever Job
Print and Marketing Consultant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 November 2016
This job has been helpful for the last few years, however I'm looking for a position that offers me room for advancement, with a higher pay grade.
Productive workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 November 2016
Stock the shelves. Place received merchandise on the floor.
Using scanners to know how much product we have of a certain item.
Learned about Staples Canada, on what they carry and the different services they offer. Learned about technology and office furniture.
Pros
Paid breaks
nice people and fun place
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON5 November 2016
it was good job for me as a part time cashier there .. and was getting enough hours but it was too far for me so i had to leave .. managers and bosses were good to all their employees .
Pros
50% discount
Fun Place to work
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2016
Very Kind management
The management is ver flexible and addresses your needs, especially if your a student. Other staff is very kind and does not hesitate to teach you things that you do not know.
Bureau en gros
Directrice divisionnaire des ventes (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC1 November 2016
Overall great experience. Good benefits and a good balance with family and work. Lots of "employee day". Back to school was really busy but fun. Working weekends and nights were hard once I had my kids.
Pros
benefits, good balance, lots of team work
Cons
working nights and weekends
Account Manager
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
This is a very admin heavy job, little time to actually go and sell to customers. Lack of response and support from internal department is very frustratng.
Account Manager
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
Managed a large portfolio, enjoyed the customer facing meetings however this job is a lot more admin work than necessary. Lack of internal accountability is a large problem.
Great Place to Work!
Computer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2016
Staples Business Depot provides its employees with exceptional training and a healthy work environment. They are a business that puts a lot of money into training their associates to not only become greats sellers and helpful employees, but also to become better individuals outside of work.
This job provides its employees with the opportunity to gain knowledge on technology and current business strategies. It also provides employees with additional workshops that can be attended to better ones knowledge on particular products and technology.
Great if you are a young wipper snapper..lol
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 October 2016
I enjoyed it to a point. I liked to help my customers but when it came time for a raise I was actually very disappointed after a year of service to get a .25 cent raise.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
on night shift no place to have a smoke break as we could not exit the store
great work environment
Receveur / Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC18 October 2016
reception of goods, maintain reception area and all related warehouse duties. identify and secure valuable items in lock up. assist client with furniture purchases.
Pros
employee incentives
Cons
reduced hours
Computer Assistant
Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC17 October 2016
I worked at Staples Canada in Westmont QC in September 2008 until December 2009 as a Computer Assistant. My job is to guide the customers for the electronic items they wanted to buy and promote the additional insurance in order to improve the customer satisfaction towards their products.
Pros
Rebate for buying the products in store