Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent field work experience in the workplace
Junior Ecologist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 16, 2014
This was my first time working the the field as an employee rather than as a volunteer. I always felt safe to express my concerns and felt comfortable in my work environment.

I learned how to manage my time, how to prepare for bad weather conditions, and the traveling made me a wonderful driver. Also, I become very familiar with the paperwork that needed to be done when environmental assessments are conducted.

Everyday, I was doing something different. I spent a lot of time traveling to my field work, but then also spent days in the office doing paper work.

I learned how to be responsible for myself in the setting of a large company. I learned how to do my own expenses, rent cars for myself, and what was expected in a field environment whether I was working alone or with others.

I enjoyed working with everyone at Stantec. I got to meet and collaborate people on all levels.

There weren't many aspects of this job that I found hard. I felt physically challenged in the field at times, but I enjoyed what I accomplished.

The most enjoyable part of my experience at Stantec was learning the different aspect to environmental assessments, and feeling like I was making a difference in my own community.

Overall, this position trained me to be an exceptional field worker.
Pros
excellent working environment and a great opportunity for learning.
Cons
my expectations were met.
Worst Firm I have ever seen
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2014
Oil and Gas division is a gun show. The most unqualified team of management, project managers, and senior engineers with absolutely no system in place. If you want some place to make a decent money and get by your day chit chatting and charging clients carelessly this is a place to be. Otherwise it is a waste of time. This is by far the worst firm I have ever seen and worked for in oil and gas industry.
Pros
flexible hours, benefits
Cons
management, culture, lack of system
Good place to work. Friendly and informative.
Senior Drafting/Designer Technologist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 11, 2014
Stantec is a good place to work. Good structural team. Experienced Engineers and Leads
Pros
lot of get togethers and social meetings
Cons
nil
good downtown location
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2014
Underwent a re-brand last year. The new motto was "People First".
By "people" I assume they mean shareholders, as they do very little to support or retain staff.

The organization of the company is mainly "silos" which means groups work in isolation and there is very little cross-training or communication, making it a very inefficient work environment.

The pay is below average. Very few people working there seem happy.
Cons
low morale, focused solely on efficiencies
Demonstrate Health and Safey leadership on all project work. Continue to follow company Health and Safety policy as well as all client specific H&S
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Maintain a personal utilization target of 90% chargeable.
Continue to provide solutions to PM's on projects that issues/problems arise on. Focus on making sure that all information that is required is completed and accurate.
Demonstrate H&S leadership on all project work. Continue to follow company's H&S policy as well as all client specific H&S policies. Make sue all H&S training is up to date (ie.WHIMIS, POST, FIRST AID, etc.)
Get well along with any co-worker, maintain healthy relationship with any one I have to work with.
The hardest part of the job is working in the severe weather condition (-40 degree C, heavy rain,...especially in up North (Attawapiskat, Coochiching First Nation, ..)
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the job completed before due, inform to project manager(s) in the last minute call)
Pros
make healthy friendship with new co-workers, friends where i am working with
Cons
working in the severe weather condition (-30 degree c, heavy rain, ...)
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaFebruary 26, 2014
I have very few complaints about working at Stantec. For my job title I think they are on little on the low side but they have great benefits and great culture. I really enjoy my coworkers.
Lack of ethics in recruitment process
sales (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 21, 2014
The managemnt seems to have a very poor perception on selection process.
They played with the prestige and honour of the prospective applicant while thinking that there is no dearth of candidates in the market to humiliate.
Cannot take decison firmly on the candidate and wasting their time.
Used to send a regret letter even after finalisation with reference check.
Pros
do you find any?
Cons
anything left over?
Overall Good company to get started in
Piping Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 17, 2014
Overall good company.

Very flexible to work times. not micromanaged.

People are great to work with. High turnaround
Very good environment to work at and good people to work with.
Civil Technician (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 9, 2014
people are working hard and also very social.
nice office to work at.
Productive and worth experience
Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NLFebruary 5, 2014
Some work was hard, such as root cutting and digging test pits, but feeling acomplished after being done was rewarding.

I learned about my own culture(Aboriginal), because we found artifacts that my ancestors has used thousands of years back.

Co-workers were great, it was great to meet new people on the field often.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours and being exhausted from it after returning home.

The most enjoyable part was getting to experience this type of job, I'd never thought I would have the opportunity but I did and I am thankful.
Pros
lunch money given in payments
n/a
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  burnabyFebruary 3, 2014
Conducted rare plant surveys and Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM), recorded vegetation cover and rare plant observations
• Supervised subcontractor to ensure Health and Safety regulations were met
• Conducted vegetation surveys and wetland classifications
• Recorded wildlife sightings
• Compiled data, queried and reported using MS Access and Excel
• Performed quality assurance of field data for high level of accuracy
• Created Baseline Wildlife Habitat Suitability Models, data queries, TEM database and data reports
• Helped to create GIS figures for Parks Canada report
A fairly decent company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENGFebruary 2, 2014
Stantec operates in a highly structured and disciplined environment with tight dead lines. Management is fairly reasonable but some of them require coaching on how they relate to employees. Co-workers are excellent by and large with the odd exception. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance, depending upon deadlines you are up against it can be very stressful. Pay and benefits were very reasonable and the most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment when a project was completed successfully.
Pros
decent work atmosphere with all required admin support
Cons
stress to get jobs completed on time and on budget
Good environment to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 6, 2014
it was fun
It was very friendly
but it have no job security
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Review
Geotechnical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 23, 2013
Long days, I learned a lot in the time I was there the management is very good everyone working there is really nice
Average Employer
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABDecember 13, 2013
Average working Conditions,
Long hours, Poor Leadership from the PM
A fast paced, dynamic workplace with wonderful people and amazing projects
Landscape Architectural Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2013
Stantec Consulting has helped to shape my future by offering a tremendous amount of support which has enabled me to succeed.
Pros
tremendous team building
Cons
poor wages
Great pay, terrible management and work environment
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 31, 2013
The management of this company is in dire need of replacement. They are old and out of touch with modern employment standards to the point of being bigoted.
Ok place to work for
Land Development Technologist (Transportation) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 3, 2013
Stantec is a really well organized with their cad standards, therefore making your job easier.
if you a drafter then you are drafter, it seems a little hard to advance as a designer.
Pros
great cad standards
Cons
hard to advance
Good Company to work
Water Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 19, 2013
Enjoyed working there. My managers were professional, supportive and kind; I learned great deal from them.
Productive and fun workplace with FM radio.
Engineer Designer (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTAugust 24, 2013
Prepare electrical design for residential buildings, load calculations,editing in as built drawings,review manuals.
I learned, how to find information from different sources like co-workers and Internet.
My Co-workers was very helpful.
Hardest part was to spent free time.
I enjoy if I have a job to do.