Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Great work environment - strong team in I&C Department!
Instrumentation and Controls Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Stantec - sad to leave such a great company:( The I&C Department was the best bunch of co-workers to learn and grow with. Loved the flexible hours, ability to fully learn the engineering project life cycle and how the Instrumentation I worked on in the field is designed. Great to have an opportunity to design facilities that would be tech friendly!
Excellent work environment
Electrical CAD/Revit Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of assisting with the design process and preparing electrical plans for institutional/ commercial buildings and generator replacements using CAD/Revit programs. I have increased my knowledge in fire alarm, lighting, power distribution plans, single line diagram and panel board schedule drawings following the Canadian Electrical Code. Continuously communicated with architects and other engineering disciplines as required for design coordination for multiple projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a project and seeing the final product.
Pros
free lunch and learn
Senior Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 14, 2014
Great group of people, good work-life balance, very reputable company
Good work environment
CAD Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaMarch 20, 2014
Managing CAD drawings for external clients, pickup and drop off of reviewed drawings from the City of Calgary.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
no much room for advancement
n/a
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  burnabyFebruary 3, 2014
Conducted rare plant surveys and Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM), recorded vegetation cover and rare plant observations
• Supervised subcontractor to ensure Health and Safety regulations were met
• Conducted vegetation surveys and wetland classifications
• Recorded wildlife sightings
• Compiled data, queried and reported using MS Access and Excel
• Performed quality assurance of field data for high level of accuracy
• Created Baseline Wildlife Habitat Suitability Models, data queries, TEM database and data reports
• Helped to create GIS figures for Parks Canada report
Demonstrate Health and Safey leadership on all project work. Continue to follow company Health and Safety policy as well as all client specific H&S
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Maintain a personal utilization target of 90% chargeable.
Continue to provide solutions to PM's on projects that issues/problems arise on. Focus on making sure that all information that is required is completed and accurate.
Demonstrate H&S leadership on all project work. Continue to follow company's H&S policy as well as all client specific H&S policies. Make sue all H&S training is up to date (ie.WHIMIS, POST, FIRST AID, etc.)
Get well along with any co-worker, maintain healthy relationship with any one I have to work with.
The hardest part of the job is working in the severe weather condition (-40 degree C, heavy rain,...especially in up North (Attawapiskat, Coochiching First Nation, ..)
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the job completed before due, inform to project manager(s) in the last minute call)
Pros
make healthy friendship with new co-workers, friends where i am working with
Cons
working in the severe weather condition (-30 degree c, heavy rain, ...)
Excellent Engineering Firm
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  North Bay, Ontario - CanadaMay 14, 2012
Very competent leadership and engineers. Clearly defined job responsibilities and accountablilities.
Pros
relaxed work environment
Cons
experience gaps between management and engineers
Great pay, terrible management and work environment
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 31, 2013
The management of this company is in dire need of replacement. They are old and out of touch with modern employment standards to the point of being bigoted.
Oil and Gas division isn't where it's at!!!!
Senior Instrumentation and Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2013
Go here only as a last resort. Been there and it once was great but is no longer. Extremely poor management in my viewpoint.
Pros
good coffee
Cons
management
Review
Geotechnical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 23, 2013
Long days, I learned a lot in the time I was there the management is very good everyone working there is really nice
Great place to work. They are strong in their corporate public trading policies
Logistics & HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 8, 2014
.Overall good place to work. Great flexibility in hours and work locations. Great people.

They have to adhere to strict policies and procedures because they are a publicly traded company. It is easy to get lost as just another number as they are such a big corporation
Lack of ethics in recruitment process
sales (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 21, 2014
The managemnt seems to have a very poor perception on selection process.
They played with the prestige and honour of the prospective applicant while thinking that there is no dearth of candidates in the market to humiliate.
Cannot take decison firmly on the candidate and wasting their time.
Used to send a regret letter even after finalisation with reference check.
Pros
do you find any?
Cons
anything left over?
good downtown location
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2014
Underwent a re-brand last year. The new motto was "People First".
By "people" I assume they mean shareholders, as they do very little to support or retain staff.

The organization of the company is mainly "silos" which means groups work in isolation and there is very little cross-training or communication, making it a very inefficient work environment.

The pay is below average. Very few people working there seem happy.
Cons
low morale, focused solely on efficiencies
Average Employer
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABDecember 13, 2013
Average working Conditions,
Long hours, Poor Leadership from the PM
Professional Consulting organization
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABJuly 21, 2014
Professional consulting organization, good work environment
Fast paced and always changing work day
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2013
A typical work day would include meeting with managers, taking minutes, clerical duties, assisting project managers and the financial department with any issues and going between the database program oracle to submit various projects, or editing various reports and documents for engineers
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
confusion with staff members
Productive and fun workplace with FM radio.
Engineer Designer (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTAugust 24, 2013
Prepare electrical design for residential buildings, load calculations,editing in as built drawings,review manuals.
I learned, how to find information from different sources like co-workers and Internet.
My Co-workers was very helpful.
Hardest part was to spent free time.
I enjoy if I have a job to do.
Ok place to work.
Student Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 10, 2014
Stantect was an OK place to work. While I was there the company was struggling to find work but was still able to be involved in interesting projects.
Excellent field work experience in the workplace
Junior Ecologist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 16, 2014
This was my first time working the the field as an employee rather than as a volunteer. I always felt safe to express my concerns and felt comfortable in my work environment.

I learned how to manage my time, how to prepare for bad weather conditions, and the traveling made me a wonderful driver. Also, I become very familiar with the paperwork that needed to be done when environmental assessments are conducted.

Everyday, I was doing something different. I spent a lot of time traveling to my field work, but then also spent days in the office doing paper work.

I learned how to be responsible for myself in the setting of a large company. I learned how to do my own expenses, rent cars for myself, and what was expected in a field environment whether I was working alone or with others.

I enjoyed working with everyone at Stantec. I got to meet and collaborate people on all levels.

There weren't many aspects of this job that I found hard. I felt physically challenged in the field at times, but I enjoyed what I accomplished.

The most enjoyable part of my experience at Stantec was learning the different aspect to environmental assessments, and feeling like I was making a difference in my own community.

Overall, this position trained me to be an exceptional field worker.
Pros
excellent working environment and a great opportunity for learning.
Cons
my expectations were met.
A fast paced, dynamic workplace with wonderful people and amazing projects
Landscape Architectural Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2013
Stantec Consulting has helped to shape my future by offering a tremendous amount of support which has enabled me to succeed.
Pros
tremendous team building
Cons
poor wages