Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Stantec designs with community in mind.
Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
The Stantec community unites more than 14,000 employees working in over 230 locations. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring buildings, energy and resource, and infrastructure projects to life. Our work—professional consulting in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics—begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships.
Great people to work with
Receptionist/ Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was I had Great co workers. Wage was good. When things got slow and they started laying people office the people where scared of loosing there jobs and moral went down.
productive fun place to work
Sr. Electrical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
enjoyable working conditions with tons of opportunity for advancement within the company. great pay and fun people working alongside.
Pros
travel pay
Cons
some out of town work
management need to be replaced
field (Former Employee) –  edmontonFebruary 26, 2013
This company say they are all about safety but when i seen the boss's come out to the field for there safety meeting's and go to the strip bar after and drink and then drive back to there rooms after
what Is that telling you, Managment say that they do not what to set you up for failure and thats all that they do,
The guy who was to train me set me up and the day that i took over was the day that the stuff hit the fan, When he was still running the show not me but he got a pat on the back and i looked bad
Upper managment need to get out and see what is really going on
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad backstabbing management
stable company with larg projects
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 22, 2012
Construction Management Services at Southgate Station and Century Station. Attend regular meetings with the Project Team during design development.
Advise as to site and improvements, selection of materials, building systems and equipment.
Provide recommendations on construct-ability, availability and factors related to cost control, including of alternative designs or materials.
Senior Bridge Engineer with the team working on Anthony Hendy Drive (North West) conceptual design of 35 bridges for Design, Build, Financed and Operation project.
Detailed design for Confederation Way and Grant McEwen bridges, Fort McMurray.
Conceptual design of 4.5 km elevated structures for LRT-Lagos, Nigeria.
Working with Engineering Buildings duties include assessment, analysis, design, cost estimating, tender preparation, shop drawing review, and construction administration as well as project management, client liaison, proposal writing, and employee mentoring
Pros
good friend ship with co- workers
Cons
long time out of edmonton
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaFebruary 26, 2014
I have very few complaints about working at Stantec. For my job title I think they are on little on the low side but they have great benefits and great culture. I really enjoy my coworkers.
Professional place of employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 3, 2012
I worked for Stantec for 8 years. Enjoyed my job very much. Raise every year. 400+ employees, with offices all over the world.
Pros
winter gala every january, raise every year.
This is a relatively new company in BC which thrives on oil and gas projects.
ARCHAEOLOGIST/LITHIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 9, 2015
I generally enjoyed working for the company. Their strength generally lies in their benefits programs. Their weakness is their susceptibility to the drop in oil prices which as created massive layoffs in BC and Alberta.
benefits
Cons
seasonal work
Managed By Chaos - Does NOT Pride Themselves on Ethics-Very TOXIC Place
Not Sure-Was there a title? (Former Employee) –  North Bay,April 10, 2013
Management needs to be replaced-very self serving
HR can not be trusted.
Does not view employees as worth but merely as resources.
They manage through bullying, intimidation, demoralization,
scrutinization, and belittlement.
A finger pointing environment, and are not part of helping their employees succeed.
Confidentially is preached, but not practiced.
I can not speak for all of Stantec Consulting but the North Bay office has a lot to learn....
Pros
co-workers
Cons
everything else
Stantecq
Accounting Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
I loved working for Stantec. The job however was limited in its requirements and I was loosing me skill sets working there. Great company to work for though.
Diverse work environment with a strong safety culture
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2013
Work at Stantec Consulting Ltd. involves a mixture of field and office work, often with both in the same day. Generation and manipulation of large and small data sets are common activities. Performance of field work requires development of logistical and troubleshooting skills in situations involving limited or remote supervision.

Work at Stantec is often performed alone or in small groups of people coming from highly diverse educational and personal backgrounds. This diverse atmosphere gives employess the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, in many different fields.The office culture is relaxed and informal, with safety being an integral portion of both work and home life.

While field work at Stantec is sometimes the most frustrating part of the job, it can also be the most rewarding. When planned work encounters difficulties in the field, it can often mean long and intense hours spent trying to resolve the complication. The discovery of a solution to said complication is very educational, and satisfying. When a project goes according to plan, or even it doesn't, one of the most satisfying parts of combined office and field work is to see a project through from the very beginning (the performance of the field work) to the completed product (a report for Alberta Environment, or graphs or charts from the completed manipulation of a data set),
Pros
flexible working hours, ability to work on a diverse array of projects
Cons
long hours, seasonal work.
Exciting jobs but management is a joke
Senior Engineering Technican (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Some very good people and exciting jobs but management is a joke, they try and say they are people focused when the reality is they are only concerned with the bottom line and a return of investment to shareholders.
Pros
exciting and varied project work, some great people.
Cons
the bottom line is all that matters
smart educated coworkers and fun environment
Transmission Line Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2014
Stantec in general is a good company to work for. Intelligent and experienced co-workers, good job/life balance, decent salary. I learned electrical drafting and transmission line design.
Pros
fun environment, lots of company events
Cons
not transferring people to other sections when a section is being slow
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
Knowledgeable and good people to work with.
HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 29, 2014
As a member of the Construction Management team (EPCM) looking after Inter Pipelines Polaris expansion projects between Edmonton and Fort McMurray, my role mainly consists of Monitoring, Educating, & Ensuring compliance of Contractor, Stantec & IPF (Client) Safety Management Systems with Subcontractor company employees & Safety personnel.
Was a good work place, productive and I gained a lot of knowledge
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2015
• Conducted boundary surveys on many communities in and around the city
• Piloted topography surveys for the University of Alberta and City of Edmonton development
• Experience in land surveys regarding industrial pond development areas
• Completed many legal surveys in urban housing development areas
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work hours varied depending on day and job
Productive, fast paced & enjoyable environment.
Admin Supervisor/Assistant-Project Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJune 16, 2015
I love the people I work with as many of us came from Cimarron Engineering prior to being acquired. I greet everyone with a great big hello and smile. My day consists of supervising the administrative team and produce deliverables for project services oil & gas engineering.
Don't Tell the Truth
Payroll Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2012
You'll get fired during probation if you place any medical, physical or psycological issues on the form they give you for your insurances. But if you don't tell the truth and you need to make a claim on a pre-existing condition, you won't be covered. And I'm speaking from experience. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Stantec is overall a great place to work.
Co-op Student/Project Coorditator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 3, 2012
Stantec is a very fast phase working place. Structural Engineering team and managemant is very friendly and supportive to new engnieers. I learned peroject management , reviewing structural drawings, designing various strucutral members and document control.
Great Company
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2014
Great company, poor management.

My typical day includes supporting the corporate learning team with compliance training for the company, acquisition training (communication, logistics, etc.), and reporting.

I also assist with the companies milestone program, and other duties for the Human Resources department.