Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioSeptember 6, 2015
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Pros
per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons
long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
Great place to work. They are strong in their corporate public trading policies
Logistics & HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 8, 2014
.Overall good place to work. Great flexibility in hours and work locations. Great people.

They have to adhere to strict policies and procedures because they are a publicly traded company. It is easy to get lost as just another number as they are such a big corporation
Worst Firm I have ever seen
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2014
Oil and Gas division is a gun show. The most unqualified team of management, project managers, and senior engineers with absolutely no system in place. If you want some place to make a decent money and get by your day chit chatting and charging clients carelessly this is a place to be. Otherwise it is a waste of time. This is by far the worst firm I have ever seen and worked for in oil and gas industry.
Pros
flexible hours, benefits
Cons
management, culture, lack of system
good downtown location
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2014
Underwent a re-brand last year. The new motto was "People First".
By "people" I assume they mean shareholders, as they do very little to support or retain staff.

The organization of the company is mainly "silos" which means groups work in isolation and there is very little cross-training or communication, making it a very inefficient work environment.

The pay is below average. Very few people working there seem happy.
Cons
low morale, focused solely on efficiencies
Productive and worth experience
Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NLFebruary 5, 2014
Some work was hard, such as root cutting and digging test pits, but feeling acomplished after being done was rewarding.

I learned about my own culture(Aboriginal), because we found artifacts that my ancestors has used thousands of years back.

Co-workers were great, it was great to meet new people on the field often.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours and being exhausted from it after returning home.

The most enjoyable part was getting to experience this type of job, I'd never thought I would have the opportunity but I did and I am thankful.
Pros
lunch money given in payments
A fairly decent company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENGFebruary 2, 2014
Stantec operates in a highly structured and disciplined environment with tight dead lines. Management is fairly reasonable but some of them require coaching on how they relate to employees. Co-workers are excellent by and large with the odd exception. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance, depending upon deadlines you are up against it can be very stressful. Pay and benefits were very reasonable and the most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment when a project was completed successfully.
Pros
decent work atmosphere with all required admin support
Cons
stress to get jobs completed on time and on budget
n/a
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  burnabyFebruary 3, 2014
Conducted rare plant surveys and Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM), recorded vegetation cover and rare plant observations
• Supervised subcontractor to ensure Health and Safety regulations were met
• Conducted vegetation surveys and wetland classifications
• Recorded wildlife sightings
• Compiled data, queried and reported using MS Access and Excel
• Performed quality assurance of field data for high level of accuracy
• Created Baseline Wildlife Habitat Suitability Models, data queries, TEM database and data reports
• Helped to create GIS figures for Parks Canada report
A good place to work with knowledgeable people
Senior Fisheries Biologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Stanted. They have many disciplines and lots of learning opportunities in different disciplines
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
unstable work environment
Supportive Atmosphere/ Great Teamwork
*** (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 24, 2014
I love working here. My only downside would be that there is no room for advancement in my field. But that was explained to me at the interview. I'm the only person that does what I do at my place of business so there is no where to move to unless I retrain.
Pros
teamwork, lots of outside work activities, great benefits.
Cons
shortage of employees in my department...causes a lot of stress for those who are there.
Lack of ethics in recruitment process
sales (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 21, 2014
The managemnt seems to have a very poor perception on selection process.
They played with the prestige and honour of the prospective applicant while thinking that there is no dearth of candidates in the market to humiliate.
Cannot take decison firmly on the candidate and wasting their time.
Used to send a regret letter even after finalisation with reference check.
Pros
do you find any?
Cons
anything left over?
Fulfilling project work, beware of big company managment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Really nice office environment with large windows, natural light, large desks and monitors. Enjoy working with co-workers of various disciplines. Encounter many complex and interesting projects.

There seem to be power struggles between different discipline managers over shared work. Because it is a large company, steady pay and consistent raises can be expected with decent performance. Being a in large company also means you are treated as a number. When work got low, there were many layoffs all at once rather than trying to retain the talented people already within the company.
Excellent work environment
Electrical CAD/Revit Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of assisting with the design process and preparing electrical plans for institutional/ commercial buildings and generator replacements using CAD/Revit programs. I have increased my knowledge in fire alarm, lighting, power distribution plans, single line diagram and panel board schedule drawings following the Canadian Electrical Code. Continuously communicated with architects and other engineering disciplines as required for design coordination for multiple projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a project and seeing the final product.
Pros
free lunch and learn
management need to be replaced
field (Former Employee) –  edmontonFebruary 26, 2013
This company say they are all about safety but when i seen the boss's come out to the field for there safety meeting's and go to the strip bar after and drink and then drive back to there rooms after
what Is that telling you, Managment say that they do not what to set you up for failure and thats all that they do,
The guy who was to train me set me up and the day that i took over was the day that the stuff hit the fan, When he was still running the show not me but he got a pat on the back and i looked bad
Upper managment need to get out and see what is really going on
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad backstabbing management
Managed By Chaos - Does NOT Pride Themselves on Ethics-Very TOXIC Place
Not Sure-Was there a title? (Former Employee) –  North Bay,April 10, 2013
Management needs to be replaced-very self serving
HR can not be trusted.
Does not view employees as worth but merely as resources.
They manage through bullying, intimidation, demoralization,
scrutinization, and belittlement.
A finger pointing environment, and are not part of helping their employees succeed.
Confidentially is preached, but not practiced.
I can not speak for all of Stantec Consulting but the North Bay office has a lot to learn....
Pros
co-workers
Cons
everything else
Leading Company in industry
Mechanical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 20, 2014
Leading Company in industry

Competitive Salary/benefit package

Company's generosity to support external training and career development

numerous company events (Stampede, new year, etc.)
Pros
competitive salary/benefit package, company's generosity to support external training
Cons
dry working ambiance
Fast paced and always changing work day
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2013
A typical work day would include meeting with managers, taking minutes, clerical duties, assisting project managers and the financial department with any issues and going between the database program oracle to submit various projects, or editing various reports and documents for engineers
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
confusion with staff members
Great Company
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2014
Great company, poor management.

My typical day includes supporting the corporate learning team with compliance training for the company, acquisition training (communication, logistics, etc.), and reporting.

I also assist with the companies milestone program, and other duties for the Human Resources department.
Productive and fun workplace with FM radio.
Engineer Designer (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTAugust 24, 2013
Prepare electrical design for residential buildings, load calculations,editing in as built drawings,review manuals.
I learned, how to find information from different sources like co-workers and Internet.
My Co-workers was very helpful.
Hardest part was to spent free time.
I enjoy if I have a job to do.
Don't Tell the Truth
Payroll Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2012
You'll get fired during probation if you place any medical, physical or psycological issues on the form they give you for your insurances. But if you don't tell the truth and you need to make a claim on a pre-existing condition, you won't be covered. And I'm speaking from experience. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
EPC awesome job
Safety Consultant - CMT/EPC (Former Employee) –  Interpipeline SitesJuly 1, 2014
I was able to learn more on this job in regards to construction coordinating as my coordinator at times would leave me in charge of the site as he went to visit a few other sites we were the Construction Management Team on:)
Pros
was not micromanaged
Cons
too many work hours and work days in a row:(