Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Worst Firm I have ever seen
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2014
Oil and Gas division is a gun show. The most unqualified team of management, project managers, and senior engineers with absolutely no system in place. If you want some place to make a decent money and get by your day chit chatting and charging clients carelessly this is a place to be. Otherwise it is a waste of time. This is by far the worst firm I have ever seen and worked for in oil and gas industry.
Pros
Flexible hours, benefits
Cons
Management, culture, lack of system
good downtown location
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2014
Underwent a re-brand last year. The new motto was "People First".
By "people" I assume they mean shareholders, as they do very little to support or retain staff.

The organization of the company is mainly "silos" which means groups work in isolation and there is very little cross-training or communication, making it a very inefficient work environment.

The pay is below average. Very few people working there seem happy.
Cons
low morale, focused solely on efficiencies
A fairly decent company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENG2 February 2014
Stantec operates in a highly structured and disciplined environment with tight dead lines. Management is fairly reasonable but some of them require coaching on how they relate to employees. Co-workers are excellent by and large with the odd exception. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance, depending upon deadlines you are up against it can be very stressful. Pay and benefits were very reasonable and the most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment when a project was completed successfully.
Pros
Decent work atmosphere with all required admin support
Cons
Stress to get jobs completed on time and on budget
n/a
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  burnaby3 February 2014
Conducted rare plant surveys and Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM), recorded vegetation cover and rare plant observations
• Supervised subcontractor to ensure Health and Safety regulations were met
• Conducted vegetation surveys and wetland classifications
• Recorded wildlife sightings
• Compiled data, queried and reported using MS Access and Excel
• Performed quality assurance of field data for high level of accuracy
• Created Baseline Wildlife Habitat Suitability Models, data queries, TEM database and data reports
• Helped to create GIS figures for Parks Canada report
Productive and worth experience
Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL5 February 2014
Some work was hard, such as root cutting and digging test pits, but feeling acomplished after being done was rewarding.

I learned about my own culture(Aboriginal), because we found artifacts that my ancestors has used thousands of years back.

Co-workers were great, it was great to meet new people on the field often.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours and being exhausted from it after returning home.

The most enjoyable part was getting to experience this type of job, I'd never thought I would have the opportunity but I did and I am thankful.
Pros
Lunch money given in payments
Cons
management need to be replaced
field (Former Employee) –  edmonton26 February 2013
This company say they are all about safety but when i seen the boss's come out to the field for there safety meeting's and go to the strip bar after and drink and then drive back to there rooms after
what Is that telling you, Managment say that they do not what to set you up for failure and thats all that they do,
The guy who was to train me set me up and the day that i took over was the day that the stuff hit the fan, When he was still running the show not me but he got a pat on the back and i looked bad
Upper managment need to get out and see what is really going on
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad backstabbing management
Managed By Chaos - Does NOT Pride Themselves on Ethics-Very TOXIC Place
Not Sure-Was there a title? (Former Employee) –  North Bay,10 April 2013
Management needs to be replaced-very self serving
HR can not be trusted.
Does not view employees as worth but merely as resources.
They manage through bullying, intimidation, demoralization,
scrutinization, and belittlement.
A finger pointing environment, and are not part of helping their employees succeed.
Confidentially is preached, but not practiced.
I can not speak for all of Stantec Consulting but the North Bay office has a lot to learn....
Pros
co-workers
Cons
everything else
Excellent work environment
Electrical CAD/Revit Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2013
A typical day at work consisted of assisting with the design process and preparing electrical plans for institutional/ commercial buildings and generator replacements using CAD/Revit programs. I have increased my knowledge in fire alarm, lighting, power distribution plans, single line diagram and panel board schedule drawings following the Canadian Electrical Code. Continuously communicated with architects and other engineering disciplines as required for design coordination for multiple projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a project and seeing the final product.
Pros
free lunch and learn
Fulfilling project work, beware of big company managment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario14 August 2013
Really nice office environment with large windows, natural light, large desks and monitors. Enjoy working with co-workers of various disciplines. Encounter many complex and interesting projects.

There seem to be power struggles between different discipline managers over shared work. Because it is a large company, steady pay and consistent raises can be expected with decent performance. Being a in large company also means you are treated as a number. When work got low, there were many layoffs all at once rather than trying to retain the talented people already within the company.
Exciting jobs but management is a joke
Senior Engineering Technican (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON23 January 2015
Some very good people and exciting jobs but management is a joke, they try and say they are people focused when the reality is they are only concerned with the bottom line and a return of investment to shareholders.
Pros
Exciting and varied project work, some great people.
Cons
The bottom line is all that matters
Lack of ethics in recruitment process
sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto21 February 2014
The managemnt seems to have a very poor perception on selection process.
They played with the prestige and honour of the prospective applicant while thinking that there is no dearth of candidates in the market to humiliate.
Cannot take decison firmly on the candidate and wasting their time.
Used to send a regret letter even after finalisation with reference check.
Pros
Do you find any?
Cons
Anything left over?
Knowledgeable and good people to work with.
HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta29 September 2014
As a member of the Construction Management team (EPCM) looking after Inter Pipelines Polaris expansion projects between Edmonton and Fort McMurray, my role mainly consists of Monitoring, Educating, & Ensuring compliance of Contractor, Stantec & IPF (Client) Safety Management Systems with Subcontractor company employees & Safety personnel.
Supportive Atmosphere/ Great Teamwork
*** (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 April 2014
I love working here. My only downside would be that there is no room for advancement in my field. But that was explained to me at the interview. I'm the only person that does what I do at my place of business so there is no where to move to unless I retrain.
Pros
Teamwork, lots of outside work activities, great benefits.
Cons
Shortage of employees in my department...causes a lot of stress for those who are there.
Fast paced and always changing work day
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2013
A typical work day would include meeting with managers, taking minutes, clerical duties, assisting project managers and the financial department with any issues and going between the database program oracle to submit various projects, or editing various reports and documents for engineers
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
confusion with staff members
smart educated coworkers and fun environment
Transmission Line Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2014
Stantec in general is a good company to work for. Intelligent and experienced co-workers, good job/life balance, decent salary. I learned electrical drafting and transmission line design.
Pros
Fun environment, lots of company events
Cons
Not transferring people to other sections when a section is being slow
Great place to work. They are strong in their corporate public trading policies
Logistics & HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2014
.Overall good place to work. Great flexibility in hours and work locations. Great people.

They have to adhere to strict policies and procedures because they are a publicly traded company. It is easy to get lost as just another number as they are such a big corporation
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
Leading Company in industry
Mechanical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2014
Leading Company in industry

Competitive Salary/benefit package

Company's generosity to support external training and career development

numerous company events (Stampede, new year, etc.)
Pros
Competitive Salary/benefit package, Company's generosity to support external training
Cons
Dry working ambiance
Productive and fun workplace with FM radio.
Engineer Designer (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT24 August 2013
Prepare electrical design for residential buildings, load calculations,editing in as built drawings,review manuals.
I learned, how to find information from different sources like co-workers and Internet.
My Co-workers was very helpful.
Hardest part was to spent free time.
I enjoy if I have a job to do.
Don't Tell the Truth
Payroll Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2012
You'll get fired during probation if you place any medical, physical or psycological issues on the form they give you for your insurances. But if you don't tell the truth and you need to make a claim on a pre-existing condition, you won't be covered. And I'm speaking from experience. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.