Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Very demanding work environment.
Project Engineer - Community / Land Development (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2016
Client driven, fast pace and definitely keep you on your toes.
You can learn lots! the offices are nice and attractive...
Very Stable Company
Resident Consultant / Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2013
Stantec Consulting is a very stable company with a well established working protocol and chain of command. The company runs like a well oiled machine.
Pros
Job security and corporate events.
Cons
Less than competative salary.
Generally speaking, a very good place to work. Friendly people but some issues at the top.
Lead Pipeline Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
I presently have a contract at Stantec and find working there to be enjoyable and staff very friendly and helpful. Problem is, there is hardly any work there presently.

The oil and gas division is sufering right now and no other part of the company seems to want to take on people from our division...

Again, overall, i would recomend Stantec to anyone....when there is work.
Pros
work out area, freindly staff and atmosphere
Cons
no knowledge of what is going on at the top. What are they doing to get more work.
Great Company to work for
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2016
I have been employed with Stantec for nearly 4 years and loved each and every one of them. They are supportive for career growth and work-life balance.
Pros
support career growth
Was a much better company before taken over by Stantec
Field Technologist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON31 March 2016
I started at Jacques Whitford and then it was bought out by Stantec. Project managers became accountants and we all became a number. Management really is terrible especially in Markham and Mississauga. There is NO respect for people that work in the field.
Pros
There are some good people working there.
Cons
Management.
Professional place of employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2012
I worked for Stantec for 8 years. Enjoyed my job very much. Raise every year. 400+ employees, with offices all over the world.
Pros
winter gala every january, raise every year.
Not a good place to work
Design (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB19 August 2014
My experience at stantec was not very good. Not whole lot of scope for advancement. Not adequate compensation for your hard work. benefits are below average.
Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario6 September 2015
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Pros
per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons
long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
Not a great place to work for.
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 June 2016
Not a great place to work for. Do not recommend it for new or inexperienced employees starting out in surveying and engiineering.
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta26 February 2014
I have very few complaints about working at Stantec. For my job title I think they are on little on the low side but they have great benefits and great culture. I really enjoy my coworkers.
Great company
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 June 2016
Good starter position when getting out of university and in to an administrative position. Great for Engineers and Architects.
Interesting and proactive place to contribute
Facilities Operation & Management Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB18 February 2016
I have been used to doing a multi task function. I have supported professional Engineers, Architects, Managers and Technicians by unloading the mundane tasks that waste their time. I am adept in process and quality improvement to make the workplace run ore efficiently. My major forte if anticipating problems and obstacles them removing them before they cause difficulty. System Analysis is
is a function I find satisfying.
Pros
To be involved in the process
Cons
Working without periodic feedback
Nice company to work for overall
Environmental Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
Pay your dues with this company and you will be rewarded. Travel is also included in this job and you require your own personal vehicle.
good job archeology
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON21 January 2016
day were the same dig up 1mx1m squares and screen the soil for any historic fragments .

I learned how to identify arrow head and European tools.

Management was very good .

co-workers were very friendly and easy going.

hardest part of the job was being out in the fields with extreme heat conditions.

most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized for all the hard work we done.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
physically stressful
n/a
Mechanical Co-op stuent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 January 2016
I learned autocad and revit. I had good work life balance. good management, good co-wokers. The work was fun. I had good time working over there.
very good company with great benefit
Senior Pipeline Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2016
good engineering team. good environment to work with good benefit.I have been working in the oil and gas team. Stantec is good place to grown.
Pros
good pay and benefit.
Cons
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2015
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons
Weak project management/training
Wildlife Technician (Former Employee) –  Batchawana Bay, ON6 May 2016
Not afraid to help out their workers. Pay was great and the work was fun. One of the best contract jobs I've had. We got a lot done in the short hours because we enjoyed what we were doing
Productive and worth experience
Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL5 February 2014
Some work was hard, such as root cutting and digging test pits, but feeling acomplished after being done was rewarding.

I learned about my own culture(Aboriginal), because we found artifacts that my ancestors has used thousands of years back.

Co-workers were great, it was great to meet new people on the field often.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours and being exhausted from it after returning home.

The most enjoyable part was getting to experience this type of job, I'd never thought I would have the opportunity but I did and I am thankful.
Pros
Lunch money given in payments
Co-op Student for Stantec
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 April 2016
• Filing
• Data Entry’s
• Responsible for making posters
• Minute taking in Meetings
• Set up for big Meetings – scheduling them, sending out the invitations and ordering the food