Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Competitive salary, great place to learn
Mechanical/Project Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2016
1-Attractive compensation package and benefits
2- Impressive availability of funds/budgets for internal/external training
3-Overall a great place for learning and career development
4- Unfortunately a dull and less than friendly corporate culture
good job archeology
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON21 January 2016
day were the same dig up 1mx1m squares and screen the soil for any historic fragments .

I learned how to identify arrow head and European tools.

Management was very good .

co-workers were very friendly and easy going.

hardest part of the job was being out in the fields with extreme heat conditions.

most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized for all the hard work we done.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
physically stressful
A great learning experience
Environmental Technician - Cooperative Student (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 January 2016
Stantec introduced into the environmental industry by hiring me as a cooperative student. They allowed me to assist in a number of remedial and other projects. I always felt welcome here and the people I worked under were great. The training I received here gave me an upper hand and allowed me to excel in my final year of school.
n/a
Mechanical Co-op stuent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 January 2016
I learned autocad and revit. I had good work life balance. good management, good co-wokers. The work was fun. I had good time working over there.
Good place to work excellent team to work with
Senior Designer - Checker (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 December 2015
Was good place to work and people were excellent for the most part. Big contracts with tight deadlines which were met. Was here for a couple of big contracts.
Some groups are great but corporate management is cold-hearted
Terrestrial Ecologist and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 December 2015
If you find yourself there in the right place at the right time, there can be room to grow. But expect to work a lot of overtime. But if you aren't there at the right moment, corporate can be quite cold-hearted and let people go at inopportune times. Just watch out for yourself, and it can be an ok place to work and get some experience.
Friendly work environment
Sr Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2015
I enjoyed going in every morning and got along well with everyone. Some of the projects were underestimated in terms of the amount of work which made each persons job on the project more difficult.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
New to oil and gas industry
Very good
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
My experience with Stantec was extremely positive all-around. My coworkers were uplifting and cheery and my employers were constantly trying to improve their moral by holding staff meetings and making sure their employees always had up-to-date training in all areas. I thoroughly enjoyed working for Stantec.
Mechanical Engineer-In-Training (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 November 2015
Great place to work. Well respected consulting engineering firm, with other fields under their umbrella. Many locations.
You dont want to work for them
Civil Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT13 October 2015
They hire on the large volume and lay off on large volume.

Technically company just focus on its own project demand basis and do not consider to invest on its employee.
Stantec is a good company
Structural Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 October 2015
It is good to work with Stantec. more work experience I got there. Fun work place with supportive professional management.
Great people to work with
Receptionist/ Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 October 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was I had Great co workers. Wage was good. When things got slow and they started laying people office the people where scared of loosing there jobs and moral went down.
Stantecq
Accounting Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2015
I loved working for Stantec. The job however was limited in its requirements and I was loosing me skill sets working there. Great company to work for though.
Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario6 September 2015
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Pros
per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons
long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
Very friendly and supportive
GIS Analyst (Project Lead) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta27 August 2015
Working with Stantec Consulting was a great experience. I grew professionally. People on the higher level are very helpful and supportive. They know their work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
stagnation in the career after a point
Senior Mechanical Technologist (Current Employee) –  ST.John's NL12 August 2015
This is a great company to work with. Good benefits and good working conditions.

Work is consistent and learning opportunities are abundant.

Co-worker are very outgoing
Great people and great team environment
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2015
An easy going place to work. When the work is steady it is great with good management of people and resources. I learned that self motivation and finding places to be useful go a long way towards job satisfaction.
Pros
Great team and family feel to the office
Cons
Lack of work over the past year, Little room for advancement
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
G-O-O-D
Technologist Student, Full time, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 July 2015
A nice, friendly and stressless environment to learn or work in. Great for entry or higher eng/mgmt positions. A few steps ahead of the government but never pretends to compete with the private sector at all fronts. Constant cadre turnover, branch staff gets to be stolen in whole groups, leaving none of main weight-carrying specialists in the office at the end of the season, and there is no need to come early or run an extra mile at your job as it never gets noticed or appreciated. Lots of safety and culture talk. Overall pleasant, positive experience. Just don't take it all too seriously and chill while off school.
Pros
Culture, overtimes, corporate perks, decent equipment and solid support.
Cons
bottom line always wins, any extra steps you do are unnoticed
Good company with good benifits
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 July 2015
Has been a generally a good company to work for. Most of my employment with them has been on secondments at client facilities, so have had the opportunity to experience and adapt to different management styles and cultures.

I have enjoyed secondments, for the experiences I have gained. The difficult part of the job is the time away from family.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Opportunities limited locally