Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Great people and great team environment
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 28, 2015
An easy going place to work. When the work is steady it is great with good management of people and resources. I learned that self motivation and finding places to be useful go a long way towards job satisfaction.
Pros
Great team and family feel to the office
Cons
Lack of work over the past year, Little room for advancement
Large company; good place to start engineering career
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Stantec is a great company if you're just starting your career as an engineer, or if you like large company culture where roles are narrow and every little task has documentation to describe it and a person allocated to it.

Like most large companies, Stantec is a big ship that is slow in making changes.

IT department is breathing down your neck all the time. Use of computers has many restrictions.

Extremely risk averse, so if you are thinking of bringing the company work, you might have a few disappointments.

Engineering quality is usually very good.
Pros
Good benefits, good place to learn if you're starting
Cons
Too many restrictions, too slow, too risk averse
Mechanical Engineer-In-Training (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 17, 2015
Great place to work. Well respected consulting engineering firm, with other fields under their umbrella. Many locations.
You dont want to work for them
Civil Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTOctober 13, 2015
They hire on the large volume and lay off on large volume.

Technically company just focus on its own project demand basis and do not consider to invest on its employee.
Very friendly and supportive
GIS Analyst (Project Lead) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 27, 2015
Working with Stantec Consulting was a great experience. I grew professionally. People on the higher level are very helpful and supportive. They know their work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
stagnation in the career after a point
Was a good work place, productive and I gained a lot of knowledge
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2015
• Conducted boundary surveys on many communities in and around the city
• Piloted topography surveys for the University of Alberta and City of Edmonton development
• Experience in land surveys regarding industrial pond development areas
• Completed many legal surveys in urban housing development areas
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work hours varied depending on day and job
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2015
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons
Weak project management/training
Productive, fast paced & enjoyable environment.
Admin Supervisor/Assistant-Project Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJune 16, 2015
I love the people I work with as many of us came from Cimarron Engineering prior to being acquired. I greet everyone with a great big hello and smile. My day consists of supervising the administrative team and produce deliverables for project services oil & gas engineering.
Stantec is a good company
Structural Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 6, 2015
It is good to work with Stantec. more work experience I got there. Fun work place with supportive professional management.
Stantecq
Accounting Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
I loved working for Stantec. The job however was limited in its requirements and I was loosing me skill sets working there. Great company to work for though.
Better as a smaller company before re-org
Project Coordinator / Environmental Planner (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2015
Bets part of job:

overtime, benefits, flexible work hours and schedule, banked time

Worst part of job:
invisible glass ceiling, poor management, poor work culture
Pros
free lunches, opportunity to work extra
Cons
management, culture, promotion
Senior Mechanical Technologist (Current Employee) –  ST.John's NLAugust 12, 2015
This is a great company to work with. Good benefits and good working conditions.

Work is consistent and learning opportunities are abundant.

Co-worker are very outgoing
People are productive and happy because everyone are helping each other.
Project Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Even though the typical day at Stantec is busy but the employees are friendly and help each other. The Scheduler and Project Engineer Leads are difficult to catch to get progress measurement because their typical day consume in meetings the whole day but I have to come up with a way to meet with them so that I can submit the report on time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
far from my home
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
This is a relatively new company in BC which thrives on oil and gas projects.
ARCHAEOLOGIST/LITHIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 9, 2015
I generally enjoyed working for the company. Their strength generally lies in their benefits programs. Their weakness is their susceptibility to the drop in oil prices which as created massive layoffs in BC and Alberta.
benefits
Cons
seasonal work
Stantec designs with community in mind.
Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
The Stantec community unites more than 14,000 employees working in over 230 locations. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring buildings, energy and resource, and infrastructure projects to life. Our work—professional consulting in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics—begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships.
Great work environment - strong team in I&C Department!
Instrumentation and Controls Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Stantec - sad to leave such a great company:( The I&C Department was the best bunch of co-workers to learn and grow with. Loved the flexible hours, ability to fully learn the engineering project life cycle and how the Instrumentation I worked on in the field is designed. Great to have an opportunity to design facilities that would be tech friendly!
Exciting jobs but management is a joke
Senior Engineering Technican (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Some very good people and exciting jobs but management is a joke, they try and say they are people focused when the reality is they are only concerned with the bottom line and a return of investment to shareholders.
Pros
exciting and varied project work, some great people.
Cons
the bottom line is all that matters
A friendly environment with good benefits overall.
Corporate Real Estate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 14, 2015
Typically always extremely busy but also have a good work/life balance. Co-workers are very team oriented, friendly and cooperative.
productive fun place to work
Sr. Electrical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
enjoyable working conditions with tons of opportunity for advancement within the company. great pay and fun people working alongside.
Pros
travel pay
Cons
some out of town work