Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
G-O-O-D
Technologist Student, Full time, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 20, 2015
A nice, friendly and stressless environment to learn or work in. Great for entry or higher eng/mgmt positions. A few steps ahead of the government but never pretends to compete with the private sector at all fronts. Constant cadre turnover, branch staff gets to be stolen in whole groups, leaving none of main weight-carrying specialists in the office at the end of the season, and there is no need to come early or run an extra mile at your job as it never gets noticed or appreciated. Lots of safety and culture talk. Overall pleasant, positive experience. Just don't take it all too seriously and chill while off school.
Pros
Culture, overtimes, corporate perks, decent equipment and solid support.
Cons
bottom line always wins, any extra steps you do are unnoticed
Good company with good benifits
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJuly 9, 2015
Has been a generally a good company to work for. Most of my employment with them has been on secondments at client facilities, so have had the opportunity to experience and adapt to different management styles and cultures.

I have enjoyed secondments, for the experiences I have gained. The difficult part of the job is the time away from family.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Opportunities limited locally
BIEN
Structural Engineer – Steel & Concrete Structures (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 24, 2015
• Complete analysis and design of Wascana rehab underground cooling water concrete tank (8m x 10 m x 9m). My Scope of work on this project was the project engineer, meeting with the client, designing the project, handling sketches with drafting team, reviewing drawings, meeting with the contractor. And supervising the work on site.
Pros
INNOVATIVE
Cons
OTHER ISSUES
Productive, fast paced & enjoyable environment.
Admin Supervisor/Assistant-Project Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJune 16, 2015
I love the people I work with as many of us came from Cimarron Engineering prior to being acquired. I greet everyone with a great big hello and smile. My day consists of supervising the administrative team and produce deliverables for project services oil & gas engineering.
productive fun place to work
Sr. Electrical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
enjoyable working conditions with tons of opportunity for advancement within the company. great pay and fun people working alongside.
Pros
travel pay
Cons
some out of town work
Large company; good place to start engineering career
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Stantec is a great company if you're just starting your career as an engineer, or if you like large company culture where roles are narrow and every little task has documentation to describe it and a person allocated to it.

Like most large companies, Stantec is a big ship that is slow in making changes.

IT department is breathing down your neck all the time. Use of computers has many restrictions.

Extremely risk averse, so if you are thinking of bringing the company work, you might have a few disappointments.

Engineering quality is usually very good.
Pros
Good benefits, good place to learn if you're starting
Cons
Too many restrictions, too slow, too risk averse
A friendly environment with good benefits overall.
Corporate Real Estate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 14, 2015
Typically always extremely busy but also have a good work/life balance. Co-workers are very team oriented, friendly and cooperative.
Better as a smaller company before re-org
Project Coordinator / Environmental Planner (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2015
Bets part of job:

overtime, benefits, flexible work hours and schedule, banked time

Worst part of job:
invisible glass ceiling, poor management, poor work culture
Pros
free lunches, opportunity to work extra
Cons
management, culture, promotion
Was a good work place, productive and I gained a lot of knowledge
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2015
• Conducted boundary surveys on many communities in and around the city
• Piloted topography surveys for the University of Alberta and City of Edmonton development
• Experience in land surveys regarding industrial pond development areas
• Completed many legal surveys in urban housing development areas
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work hours varied depending on day and job
Fun Workplace
Instrumentation & Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2015
An interesting place to be .Everyone is very happy working for this employer.It is an interesting and everyday learning experience.
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2015
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons
Weak project management/training
Place to grow and settle with. Big organization and flexible
Senior Mechanical Engineer- Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 20, 2015
Learned to work independently. I had to lead a team and mentor the newly graduated hires. It has been a pleasure working for Stantec
Drafting mining standards do not follow ISO
Senior Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 7, 2015
Co workers are nice. The office in mississauga is very nice. The company is very large and is building size by acquisition
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
office to office conflicts
This is a relatively new company in BC which thrives on oil and gas projects.
ARCHAEOLOGIST/LITHIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 9, 2015
I generally enjoyed working for the company. Their strength generally lies in their benefits programs. Their weakness is their susceptibility to the drop in oil prices which as created massive layoffs in BC and Alberta.
benefits
Cons
seasonal work
Great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 2, 2015
Stantec has managed to provide a small company work environment while still providing large company benefits. I've had the privilege of working for an incredible manager and have an extremely flexible schedule. The culture here is amazing.
A good place to work with knowledgeable people
Senior Fisheries Biologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Stanted. They have many disciplines and lots of learning opportunities in different disciplines
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
unstable work environment
A good place to work.
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 12, 2015
A good place to work. There is always something new to learn because they provide such a large number of services. The people are all very educated and well versed in their roles. They take finding qualified people very seriously, even when it comes to student hires.
People are productive and happy because everyone are helping each other.
Project Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Even though the typical day at Stantec is busy but the employees are friendly and help each other. The Scheduler and Project Engineer Leads are difficult to catch to get progress measurement because their typical day consume in meetings the whole day but I have to come up with a way to meet with them so that I can submit the report on time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
far from my home
Exciting jobs but management is a joke
Senior Engineering Technican (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Some very good people and exciting jobs but management is a joke, they try and say they are people focused when the reality is they are only concerned with the bottom line and a return of investment to shareholders.
Pros
exciting and varied project work, some great people.
Cons
the bottom line is all that matters