Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Diverse Company
Senior Environmental Planner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2016
Stantec was a good place to work, The people are smart and collaborate on projects. Most of the requires training tools are provided.
Pros
Very skilled coworkers
Cons
Tight deadlines and long work days
Some groups are great but corporate management is cold-hearted
Terrestrial Ecologist and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 December 2015
If you find yourself there in the right place at the right time, there can be room to grow. But expect to work a lot of overtime. But if you aren't there at the right moment, corporate can be quite cold-hearted and let people go at inopportune times. Just watch out for yourself, and it can be an ok place to work and get some experience.
Very nice place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2016
Management cares about employees. People are awesome. Office morale is great. Salary is good. Work duties are consistent with skills.
amazing experience working in former companies
CAD technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2016
Using logical analysis ability to solve problems is an very amazing experience. When I did CAD drawing, I always forgot the off time was already passed.
Competitive salary, Excellent employee benefits, Promotion of growth
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manitoba7 February 2016
Competitive salary, Excellent employee benefits, Promotion of growth.

Structured organization with attention to employee's overall happiness.
Very good
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
My experience with Stantec was extremely positive all-around. My coworkers were uplifting and cheery and my employers were constantly trying to improve their moral by holding staff meetings and making sure their employees always had up-to-date training in all areas. I thoroughly enjoyed working for Stantec.
Great Company to work for
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2016
I have been employed with Stantec for nearly 4 years and loved each and every one of them. They are supportive for career growth and work-life balance.
Pros
support career growth
Friendly work environment
Sr Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2015
I enjoyed going in every morning and got along well with everyone. Some of the projects were underestimated in terms of the amount of work which made each persons job on the project more difficult.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
New to oil and gas industry
G-O-O-D
Technologist Student, Full time, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 July 2015
A nice, friendly and stressless environment to learn or work in. Great for entry or higher eng/mgmt positions. A few steps ahead of the government but never pretends to compete with the private sector at all fronts. Constant cadre turnover, branch staff gets to be stolen in whole groups, leaving none of main weight-carrying specialists in the office at the end of the season, and there is no need to come early or run an extra mile at your job as it never gets noticed or appreciated. Lots of safety and culture talk. Overall pleasant, positive experience. Just don't take it all too seriously and chill while off school.
Pros
Culture, overtimes, corporate perks, decent equipment and solid support.
Cons
bottom line always wins, any extra steps you do are unnoticed
Good company with good benifits
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 July 2015
Has been a generally a good company to work for. Most of my employment with them has been on secondments at client facilities, so have had the opportunity to experience and adapt to different management styles and cultures.

I have enjoyed secondments, for the experiences I have gained. The difficult part of the job is the time away from family.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Opportunities limited locally
Large company; good place to start engineering career
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2015
Stantec is a great company if you're just starting your career as an engineer, or if you like large company culture where roles are narrow and every little task has documentation to describe it and a person allocated to it.

Like most large companies, Stantec is a big ship that is slow in making changes.

IT department is breathing down your neck all the time. Use of computers has many restrictions.

Extremely risk averse, so if you are thinking of bringing the company work, you might have a few disappointments.

Engineering quality is usually very good.
Pros
Good benefits, good place to learn if you're starting
Cons
Too many restrictions, too slow, too risk averse
Great people and great team environment
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2015
An easy going place to work. When the work is steady it is great with good management of people and resources. I learned that self motivation and finding places to be useful go a long way towards job satisfaction.
Pros
Great team and family feel to the office
Cons
Lack of work over the past year, Little room for advancement
BIEN
Structural Engineer – Steel & Concrete Structures (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK24 June 2015
• Complete analysis and design of Wascana rehab underground cooling water concrete tank (8m x 10 m x 9m). My Scope of work on this project was the project engineer, meeting with the client, designing the project, handling sketches with drafting team, reviewing drawings, meeting with the contractor. And supervising the work on site.
Pros
INNOVATIVE
Cons
OTHER ISSUES
Good place to work excellent team to work with
Senior Designer - Checker (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 December 2015
Was good place to work and people were excellent for the most part. Big contracts with tight deadlines which were met. Was here for a couple of big contracts.
Was a good work place, productive and I gained a lot of knowledge
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 May 2015
• Conducted boundary surveys on many communities in and around the city
• Piloted topography surveys for the University of Alberta and City of Edmonton development
• Experience in land surveys regarding industrial pond development areas
• Completed many legal surveys in urban housing development areas
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work hours varied depending on day and job
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2015
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons
Weak project management/training
n/a
Mechanical Co-op stuent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 January 2016
I learned autocad and revit. I had good work life balance. good management, good co-wokers. The work was fun. I had good time working over there.
Productive, fast paced & enjoyable environment.
Admin Supervisor/Assistant-Project Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta16 June 2015
I love the people I work with as many of us came from Cimarron Engineering prior to being acquired. I greet everyone with a great big hello and smile. My day consists of supervising the administrative team and produce deliverables for project services oil & gas engineering.
People are productive and happy because everyone are helping each other.
Project Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2015
Even though the typical day at Stantec is busy but the employees are friendly and help each other. The Scheduler and Project Engineer Leads are difficult to catch to get progress measurement because their typical day consume in meetings the whole day but I have to come up with a way to meet with them so that I can submit the report on time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
far from my home
Great people to work with
Receptionist/ Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 October 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was I had Great co workers. Wage was good. When things got slow and they started laying people office the people where scared of loosing there jobs and moral went down.