Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 2, 2015
Stantec has managed to provide a small company work environment while still providing large company benefits. I've had the privilege of working for an incredible manager and have an extremely flexible schedule. The culture here is amazing.
Mechanical Engineer-In-Training (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 17, 2015
Great place to work. Well respected consulting engineering firm, with other fields under their umbrella. Many locations.
You dont want to work for them
Civil Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTOctober 13, 2015
They hire on the large volume and lay off on large volume.

Technically company just focus on its own project demand basis and do not consider to invest on its employee.
Worst Firm I have ever seen
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2014
Oil and Gas division is a gun show. The most unqualified team of management, project managers, and senior engineers with absolutely no system in place. If you want some place to make a decent money and get by your day chit chatting and charging clients carelessly this is a place to be. Otherwise it is a waste of time. This is by far the worst firm I have ever seen and worked for in oil and gas industry.
Pros
flexible hours, benefits
Cons
management, culture, lack of system
Leading Company in industry
Mechanical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 20, 2014
Leading Company in industry

Competitive Salary/benefit package

Company's generosity to support external training and career development

numerous company events (Stampede, new year, etc.)
Pros
competitive salary/benefit package, company's generosity to support external training
Cons
dry working ambiance
Great people to work with
Receptionist/ Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was I had Great co workers. Wage was good. When things got slow and they started laying people office the people where scared of loosing there jobs and moral went down.
A friendly environment with good benefits overall.
Corporate Real Estate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 14, 2015
Typically always extremely busy but also have a good work/life balance. Co-workers are very team oriented, friendly and cooperative.
Fulfilling project work, beware of big company managment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Really nice office environment with large windows, natural light, large desks and monitors. Enjoy working with co-workers of various disciplines. Encounter many complex and interesting projects.

There seem to be power struggles between different discipline managers over shared work. Because it is a large company, steady pay and consistent raises can be expected with decent performance. Being a in large company also means you are treated as a number. When work got low, there were many layoffs all at once rather than trying to retain the talented people already within the company.
Stantecq
Accounting Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
I loved working for Stantec. The job however was limited in its requirements and I was loosing me skill sets working there. Great company to work for though.
productive fun place to work
Sr. Electrical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
enjoyable working conditions with tons of opportunity for advancement within the company. great pay and fun people working alongside.
Pros
travel pay
Cons
some out of town work
Productive and worth experience
Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NLFebruary 5, 2014
Some work was hard, such as root cutting and digging test pits, but feeling acomplished after being done was rewarding.

I learned about my own culture(Aboriginal), because we found artifacts that my ancestors has used thousands of years back.

Co-workers were great, it was great to meet new people on the field often.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours and being exhausted from it after returning home.

The most enjoyable part was getting to experience this type of job, I'd never thought I would have the opportunity but I did and I am thankful.
Pros
lunch money given in payments
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
BIEN
Structural Engineer – Steel & Concrete Structures (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 24, 2015
• Complete analysis and design of Wascana rehab underground cooling water concrete tank (8m x 10 m x 9m). My Scope of work on this project was the project engineer, meeting with the client, designing the project, handling sketches with drafting team, reviewing drawings, meeting with the contractor. And supervising the work on site.
Pros
INNOVATIVE
Cons
OTHER ISSUES
This is a relatively new company in BC which thrives on oil and gas projects.
ARCHAEOLOGIST/LITHIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 9, 2015
I generally enjoyed working for the company. Their strength generally lies in their benefits programs. Their weakness is their susceptibility to the drop in oil prices which as created massive layoffs in BC and Alberta.
benefits
Cons
seasonal work
Supportive Atmosphere/ Great Teamwork
*** (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 24, 2014
I love working here. My only downside would be that there is no room for advancement in my field. But that was explained to me at the interview. I'm the only person that does what I do at my place of business so there is no where to move to unless I retrain.
Pros
teamwork, lots of outside work activities, great benefits.
Cons
shortage of employees in my department...causes a lot of stress for those who are there.
Was a good work place, productive and I gained a lot of knowledge
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2015
• Conducted boundary surveys on many communities in and around the city
• Piloted topography surveys for the University of Alberta and City of Edmonton development
• Experience in land surveys regarding industrial pond development areas
• Completed many legal surveys in urban housing development areas
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work hours varied depending on day and job
Productive, fast paced & enjoyable environment.
Admin Supervisor/Assistant-Project Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJune 16, 2015
I love the people I work with as many of us came from Cimarron Engineering prior to being acquired. I greet everyone with a great big hello and smile. My day consists of supervising the administrative team and produce deliverables for project services oil & gas engineering.
Stantec designs with community in mind.
Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
The Stantec community unites more than 14,000 employees working in over 230 locations. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring buildings, energy and resource, and infrastructure projects to life. Our work—professional consulting in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics—begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships.
Exciting jobs but management is a joke
Senior Engineering Technican (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Some very good people and exciting jobs but management is a joke, they try and say they are people focused when the reality is they are only concerned with the bottom line and a return of investment to shareholders.
Pros
exciting and varied project work, some great people.
Cons
the bottom line is all that matters
Not a good place to work
Design (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABAugust 19, 2014
My experience at stantec was not very good. Not whole lot of scope for advancement. Not adequate compensation for your hard work. benefits are below average.