Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Stantecq
Accounting Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
I loved working for Stantec. The job however was limited in its requirements and I was loosing me skill sets working there. Great company to work for though.
Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioSeptember 6, 2015
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Pros
per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons
long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
Very friendly and supportive
GIS Analyst (Project Lead) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 27, 2015
Working with Stantec Consulting was a great experience. I grew professionally. People on the higher level are very helpful and supportive. They know their work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
stagnation in the career after a point
Senior Mechanical Technologist (Current Employee) –  ST.John's NLAugust 12, 2015
This is a great company to work with. Good benefits and good working conditions.

Work is consistent and learning opportunities are abundant.

Co-worker are very outgoing
Great people and great team environment
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 28, 2015
An easy going place to work. When the work is steady it is great with good management of people and resources. I learned that self motivation and finding places to be useful go a long way towards job satisfaction.
Pros
Great team and family feel to the office
Cons
Lack of work over the past year, Little room for advancement
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2015
Good place to work and learn about Canadian practice. As expected in such a big corporation, opportunities to grow are limited. Excellent HSE policy and training.
G-O-O-D
Technologist Student, Full time, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 20, 2015
A nice, friendly and stressless environment to learn or work in. Great for entry or higher eng/mgmt positions. A few steps ahead of the government but never pretends to compete with the private sector at all fronts. Constant cadre turnover, branch staff gets to be stolen in whole groups, leaving none of main weight-carrying specialists in the office at the end of the season, and there is no need to come early or run an extra mile at your job as it never gets noticed or appreciated. Lots of safety and culture talk. Overall pleasant, positive experience. Just don't take it all too seriously and chill while off school.
Pros
Culture, overtimes, corporate perks, decent equipment and solid support.
Cons
bottom line always wins, any extra steps you do are unnoticed
Good company with good benifits
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJuly 9, 2015
Has been a generally a good company to work for. Most of my employment with them has been on secondments at client facilities, so have had the opportunity to experience and adapt to different management styles and cultures.

I have enjoyed secondments, for the experiences I have gained. The difficult part of the job is the time away from family.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Opportunities limited locally
BIEN
Structural Engineer – Steel & Concrete Structures (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 24, 2015
• Complete analysis and design of Wascana rehab underground cooling water concrete tank (8m x 10 m x 9m). My Scope of work on this project was the project engineer, meeting with the client, designing the project, handling sketches with drafting team, reviewing drawings, meeting with the contractor. And supervising the work on site.
Pros
INNOVATIVE
Cons
OTHER ISSUES
Productive, fast paced & enjoyable environment.
Admin Supervisor/Assistant-Project Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJune 16, 2015
I love the people I work with as many of us came from Cimarron Engineering prior to being acquired. I greet everyone with a great big hello and smile. My day consists of supervising the administrative team and produce deliverables for project services oil & gas engineering.
productive fun place to work
Sr. Electrical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
enjoyable working conditions with tons of opportunity for advancement within the company. great pay and fun people working alongside.
Pros
travel pay
Cons
some out of town work
Large company; good place to start engineering career
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Stantec is a great company if you're just starting your career as an engineer, or if you like large company culture where roles are narrow and every little task has documentation to describe it and a person allocated to it.

Like most large companies, Stantec is a big ship that is slow in making changes.

IT department is breathing down your neck all the time. Use of computers has many restrictions.

Extremely risk averse, so if you are thinking of bringing the company work, you might have a few disappointments.

Engineering quality is usually very good.
Pros
Good benefits, good place to learn if you're starting
Cons
Too many restrictions, too slow, too risk averse
A friendly environment with good benefits overall.
Corporate Real Estate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 14, 2015
Typically always extremely busy but also have a good work/life balance. Co-workers are very team oriented, friendly and cooperative.
Better as a smaller company before re-org
Project Coordinator / Environmental Planner (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2015
Bets part of job:

overtime, benefits, flexible work hours and schedule, banked time

Worst part of job:
invisible glass ceiling, poor management, poor work culture
Pros
free lunches, opportunity to work extra
Cons
management, culture, promotion
Was a good work place, productive and I gained a lot of knowledge
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2015
• Conducted boundary surveys on many communities in and around the city
• Piloted topography surveys for the University of Alberta and City of Edmonton development
• Experience in land surveys regarding industrial pond development areas
• Completed many legal surveys in urban housing development areas
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work hours varied depending on day and job
Fun Workplace
Instrumentation & Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2015
An interesting place to be .Everyone is very happy working for this employer.It is an interesting and everyday learning experience.
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2015
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons
Weak project management/training
Place to grow and settle with. Big organization and flexible
Senior Mechanical Engineer- Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 20, 2015
Learned to work independently. I had to lead a team and mentor the newly graduated hires. It has been a pleasure working for Stantec
Drafting mining standards do not follow ISO
Senior Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 7, 2015
Co workers are nice. The office in mississauga is very nice. The company is very large and is building size by acquisition
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
office to office conflicts
This is a relatively new company in BC which thrives on oil and gas projects.
ARCHAEOLOGIST/LITHIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 9, 2015
I generally enjoyed working for the company. Their strength generally lies in their benefits programs. Their weakness is their susceptibility to the drop in oil prices which as created massive layoffs in BC and Alberta.
benefits
Cons
seasonal work