Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario6 September 2015
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Pros
per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons
long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
n/a
Mechanical Co-op stuent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 January 2016
I learned autocad and revit. I had good work life balance. good management, good co-wokers. The work was fun. I had good time working over there.
Generally speaking, a very good place to work. Friendly people but some issues at the top.
Lead Pipeline Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
I presently have a contract at Stantec and find working there to be enjoyable and staff very friendly and helpful. Problem is, there is hardly any work there presently.

The oil and gas division is sufering right now and no other part of the company seems to want to take on people from our division...

Again, overall, i would recomend Stantec to anyone....when there is work.
Pros
work out area, freindly staff and atmosphere
Cons
no knowledge of what is going on at the top. What are they doing to get more work.
Environnement de travail
Ingénieur électrique en bâtiment (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 March 2016
Stantec est une très grande entreprise, il est donc difficile de généraliser sur l'environnement de travail de l'entreprise. Cependant, je suis exclusivement associé à un seul bureau de projet dont son seul client est la STM. Les projets sont de grande envergure mais il faut s'adapter à la lourdeur des tâches administratives qu'impose le client public.Le poste que j'occupe est bien pour apprendre la méthode de travail et l’exécution des quarts de métiers qui réalisent notre ingénierie.
Pros
Peu de pression réel
Cons
Lourdeur bureaucratique
good job archeology
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON21 January 2016
day were the same dig up 1mx1m squares and screen the soil for any historic fragments .

I learned how to identify arrow head and European tools.

Management was very good .

co-workers were very friendly and easy going.

hardest part of the job was being out in the fields with extreme heat conditions.

most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized for all the hard work we done.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
physically stressful
Designed with Community in Mind
COORDINATOR, IT CHANGE MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2016
This company is very active in the communities they serve and communities where they may be involved in projects.

They support their core values that they do what is right, embrace the highest standards of personal and professional integrity, and the business principles are never compromised.
Pros
Good benefits, great teams
Cons
Can be chaotic
Very demanding work environment.
Project Engineer - Community / Land Development (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2016
Client driven, fast pace and definitely keep you on your toes.
You can learn lots! the offices are nice and attractive...
Better as a smaller company before re-org
Project Coordinator / Environmental Planner (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 June 2015
Bets part of job:

overtime, benefits, flexible work hours and schedule, banked time

Worst part of job:
invisible glass ceiling, poor management, poor work culture
Pros
free lunches, opportunity to work extra
Cons
management, culture, promotion
A fairly decent company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENG2 February 2014
Stantec operates in a highly structured and disciplined environment with tight dead lines. Management is fairly reasonable but some of them require coaching on how they relate to employees. Co-workers are excellent by and large with the odd exception. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance, depending upon deadlines you are up against it can be very stressful. Pay and benefits were very reasonable and the most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment when a project was completed successfully.
Pros
Decent work atmosphere with all required admin support
Cons
Stress to get jobs completed on time and on budget
Great company
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 June 2016
Good starter position when getting out of university and in to an administrative position. Great for Engineers and Architects.
Not a great place to work for.
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 June 2016
Not a great place to work for. Do not recommend it for new or inexperienced employees starting out in surveying and engiineering.
Interesting and proactive place to contribute
Facilities Operation & Management Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB18 February 2016
I have been used to doing a multi task function. I have supported professional Engineers, Architects, Managers and Technicians by unloading the mundane tasks that waste their time. I am adept in process and quality improvement to make the workplace run ore efficiently. My major forte if anticipating problems and obstacles them removing them before they cause difficulty. System Analysis is
is a function I find satisfying.
Pros
To be involved in the process
Cons
Working without periodic feedback
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2015
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons
Weak project management/training
very good company with great benefit
Senior Pipeline Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2016
good engineering team. good environment to work with good benefit.I have been working in the oil and gas team. Stantec is good place to grown.
Pros
good pay and benefit.
Cons
Good company with good benifits
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 July 2015
Has been a generally a good company to work for. Most of my employment with them has been on secondments at client facilities, so have had the opportunity to experience and adapt to different management styles and cultures.

I have enjoyed secondments, for the experiences I have gained. The difficult part of the job is the time away from family.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Opportunities limited locally
Nice company to work for overall
Environmental Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
Pay your dues with this company and you will be rewarded. Travel is also included in this job and you require your own personal vehicle.
Worst Firm I have ever seen
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2014
Oil and Gas division is a gun show. The most unqualified team of management, project managers, and senior engineers with absolutely no system in place. If you want some place to make a decent money and get by your day chit chatting and charging clients carelessly this is a place to be. Otherwise it is a waste of time. This is by far the worst firm I have ever seen and worked for in oil and gas industry.
Pros
Flexible hours, benefits
Cons
Management, culture, lack of system
Wildlife Technician (Former Employee) –  Batchawana Bay, ON6 May 2016
Not afraid to help out their workers. Pay was great and the work was fun. One of the best contract jobs I've had. We got a lot done in the short hours because we enjoyed what we were doing
Great people and great team environment
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2015
An easy going place to work. When the work is steady it is great with good management of people and resources. I learned that self motivation and finding places to be useful go a long way towards job satisfaction.
Pros
Great team and family feel to the office
Cons
Lack of work over the past year, Little room for advancement
Excellent Organization
Civil Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC13 March 2016
Excellent organization. Stantec provides opportunity for interesting and challenging work in many geographical locations. Friendly and competent coworkers in all areas of engineering.