Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Knowledgeable, experienced, friendly people highlight this nice place to work
Senior Pipeline Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2016
Fairly easy-going laid-back atmosphere in which to work. They provide everything you need to do the tasks you're assigned, plus a number of perks in the office (fancy coffee machines, gym, nice lunchrooms, computers/smart-boards in the meeting rooms, etc.).

The people are always willing to help, and generally very friendly and approachable.
Pros
Depth and breadth of knowledge and experience
Cons
Difficulty scaling down processes for smaller projects
Stantec is a dynamic work place of profissionals with excellent support for employee
Associate Technical Lead, Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
Work ebvironment was flexible and all people in my department worked to meet group goals and objectives. the Environmental division had an excellent accounting and project management program. There were a large number of industry specialist to engage and work with. there were a large varitiy of types of projects both very large to small short term projects. Worked in open atmosphere with all staff. Many branches and offices throughout NA for great opportunities everywhere.
Not a good environment
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 September 2016
Do not recommend this organization for someone looking for a positive work environment
-No job security creating undue stress on employees as they are constantly let go on a weekly basis
-Remaining employees obtain additional work load with no pay increase and continue to face uncerainty (job loss can occur at anytime)
-Pay freezes for 3 years with staff already being underpaid
-Forced office closure that is unpaid
-Improper systems in place lacking control
-Good work life balance
-Decent benefits
-Pay is not good or bad, slightly below average
-Poor Management in place, do not know how to coach and mentor employees
Pros
Good work life balance, decent benefits
Cons
Job Uncertainty, pay freezes, poor management
Amazing team
Electrical project engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 July 2016
My 4 years at Stantec - from September 2012 to september 2016 have been very rewarding. I worked with a team of dedicated professional, always available to share their passion and knowledge. It was an overall great first professional experience. I had the opportunity to develop many skills, in parallel to be trained as project engineer and introduced to business development. Stantec offered me many opportunities I sized.
The company provide a healthy environment, good balance of work and life.
CADD Technician (Victoria) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 July 2016
Stantec provide a healthy working environment to employees, good benefits and salary, unfortunately it depend to the individual manager that runs the department, some are great and some runs their department to their own benefits. the company policy structure is great if but not followed.
Toxic work environment - Mining
Designer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 November 2016
Management and leadership act like children
Always pointing fingers and blaming their mistake on other workers
Job tile means nothing
Co-workers were great in Mississauga
Technical leads had little experience
most enjoyable part of the job - Leaving
Pros
Cons
everthing
Wonderful place to achieve diversification
Senior Transmission Line Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2016
Spent over 25 years in this organization and was exposed to a lot of training, diversification, great opportunity to blossom in any area of your profession.
Pros
Great package
Cons
Slow career path
A great place to work
Detailer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2016
I worked at Stantec for about a year, my team and I came from Dessau, and was treated very warmly by our new co-workers, they were very helpful and patient in helping us with administrative and logistical issues when we were trying to settle in, and from time to time we would talk in the small kitchen.

There's also frequent social events like monthly BBQ during the summer and Christmas potluck.

Unfortunately our team had financial issue and had to let me go.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to advance, friendly work environment with frequent group events
Cons
Not a lot of cooperation between teams in different sectors, they're like separate companies doing their own thing.
Great Place To Learn
PROJECT MANAGER - Execution (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2016
Love working here, it's a great resource for learning about your role and training for your future. Very good place to train for your future role as well.
Generally speaking, a very good place to work. Friendly people but some issues at the top.
Lead Pipeline Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
I presently have a contract at Stantec and find working there to be enjoyable and staff very friendly and helpful. Problem is, there is hardly any work there presently.

The oil and gas division is sufering right now and no other part of the company seems to want to take on people from our division...

Again, overall, i would recomend Stantec to anyone....when there is work.
Pros
work out area, freindly staff and atmosphere
Cons
no knowledge of what is going on at the top. What are they doing to get more work.
Excellent work enviroment
Geotechnical Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2016
Great benefits poor pay.
Awesome place to work, with multiple functions weekly.
My direct supervisor was an absolutely great mentor and friend.

internal promotion/ raises may not always be available due to the large chain of command.

Pay was not great...However, the work atmosphere was amazing!
Pros
Functions
Cons
Top-heavy
Was a much better company before taken over by Stantec
Field Technologist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON31 March 2016
I started at Jacques Whitford and then it was bought out by Stantec. Project managers became accountants and we all became a number. Management really is terrible especially in Markham and Mississauga. There is NO respect for people that work in the field.
Pros
There are some good people working there.
Cons
Management.
Good people and opportunity.
Instrumentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2016
Good place to work with a good opportunity for advancement. Managed well with a good life/work balance. Salary is comparable to rest of industry. Job security is always a concern in the oil and gas buisness.
Very demanding work environment.
Project Engineer - Community / Land Development (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2016
Client driven, fast pace and definitely keep you on your toes.
You can learn lots! the offices are nice and attractive...
Interesting and proactive place to contribute
Facilities Operation & Management Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB18 February 2016
I have been used to doing a multi task function. I have supported professional Engineers, Architects, Managers and Technicians by unloading the mundane tasks that waste their time. I am adept in process and quality improvement to make the workplace run ore efficiently. My major forte if anticipating problems and obstacles them removing them before they cause difficulty. System Analysis is
is a function I find satisfying.
Pros
To be involved in the process
Cons
Working without periodic feedback
Friendly & Collaborative Environment
Interior Design Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
Stantec spring boarded my career into Interior Design and Business. At Stantec, I had the opportunity to work with many talented and supportive colleagues. The environment enabled people to seek out their potential and move into other areas of interest that built upon their strengths making them leaders and role models among their peers. It was privilege to work at Stantec.
Pros
Support in career
Cons
Salary
Great company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2016
Great place to work, started out as file clerk and climbed to an executive administrative assistant to VP of Human Resources
very good company with great benefit
Senior Pipeline Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2016
good engineering team. good environment to work with good benefit.I have been working in the oil and gas team. Stantec is good place to grown.
Pros
good pay and benefit.
Cons
Not a great place to work for.
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 June 2016
Not a great place to work for. Do not recommend it for new or inexperienced employees starting out in surveying and engiineering.
Work somewhere else!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 January 2016
Mississauga was a great family environment but unfortunately we could not control our work flow which was assigned by North Bay head office.

I would not return to this division, hired people and let them go within weeks of employment making false promises and very unprofessional management and directors.

If you have a choice between working at Stantec or another company, choose the other company. Reduced benefits while increasing costs.
Pros
The people in Mississauga
Cons
Management Team/Board of Directors