Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Diverse work environment with a strong safety culture
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours, ability to work on a diverse array of projects
Cons: long hours, seasonal work.
Work at Stantec Consulting Ltd. involves a mixture of field and office work, often with both in the same day. Generation and manipulation of large and small data sets are common activities. Performance of field work requires development of logistical and troubleshooting skills in situations involving limited or remote supervision.

Work at Stantec is often performed alone or in small groups of people coming from highly diverse educational and personal backgrounds. This diverse atmosphere gives employess the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, in many different fields.The office culture is relaxed and informal, with safety being an integral portion of both work and home life.

While field work at Stantec is sometimes the most frustrating part of the job, it can also be the most rewarding. When planned work encounters difficulties in the field, it can often mean long and intense hours spent trying to resolve the complication. The discovery of a solution to said complication is very educational, and satisfying. When a project goes according to plan, or even it doesn't, one of the most satisfying parts of combined office and field work is to see a project through from the very beginning (the performance of the field work) to the completed product (a report for Alberta Environment, or graphs or charts from the completed manipulation of a data set),
Excellent field work experience in the workplace
Junior Ecologist (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 16, 2014
Pros: excellent working environment and a great opportunity for learning.
Cons: my expectations were met.
This was my first time working the the field as an employee rather than as a volunteer. I always felt safe to express my concerns and felt comfortable in my work environment.

I learned how to manage my time, how to prepare for bad weather conditions, and the traveling made me a wonderful driver. Also, I become very familiar with the paperwork that needed to be done when environmental assessments are conducted.

Everyday, I was doing something different. I spent a lot of time traveling to my field work, but then also spent days in the office doing paper work.

I learned how to be responsible for myself in the setting of a large company. I learned how to do my own expenses, rent cars for myself, and what was expected in a field environment whether I was working alone or with others.

I enjoyed working with everyone at Stantec. I got to meet and collaborate people on all levels.

There weren't many aspects of this job that I found hard. I felt physically challenged in the field at times, but I enjoyed what I accomplished.

The most enjoyable part of my experience at Stantec was learning the different aspect to environmental assessments, and feeling like I was making a difference in my own community.

Overall, this position trained me to be an exceptional field worker.
Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee), London, OntarioSeptember 6, 2015
Pros: per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons: long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Demonstrate Health and Safey leadership on all project work. Continue to follow company Health and Safety policy as well as all client specific H&S
Field Supervisor (Former Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: make healthy friendship with new co-workers, friends where i am working with
Cons: working in the severe weather condition (-30 degree c, heavy rain, ...)
Maintain a personal utilization target of 90% chargeable.
Continue to provide solutions to PM's on projects that issues/problems arise on. Focus on making sure that all information that is required is completed and accurate.
Demonstrate H&S leadership on all project work. Continue to follow company's H&S policy as well as all client specific H&S policies. Make sue all H&S training is up to date (ie.WHIMIS, POST, FIRST AID, etc.)
Get well along with any co-worker, maintain healthy relationship with any one I have to work with.
The hardest part of the job is working in the severe weather condition (-40 degree C, heavy rain,...especially in up North (Attawapiskat, Coochiching First Nation, ..)
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the job completed before due, inform to project manager(s) in the last minute call)
stable company with larg projects
Senior Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 22, 2012
Pros: good friend ship with co- workers
Cons: long time out of edmonton
Construction Management Services at Southgate Station and Century Station. Attend regular meetings with the Project Team during design development.
Advise as to site and improvements, selection of materials, building systems and equipment.
Provide recommendations on construct-ability, availability and factors related to cost control, including of alternative designs or materials.
Senior Bridge Engineer with the team working on Anthony Hendy Drive (North West) conceptual design of 35 bridges for Design, Build, Financed and Operation project.
Detailed design for Confederation Way and Grant McEwen bridges, Fort McMurray.
Conceptual design of 4.5 km elevated structures for LRT-Lagos, Nigeria.
Working with Engineering Buildings duties include assessment, analysis, design, cost estimating, tender preparation, shop drawing review, and construction administration as well as project management, client liaison, proposal writing, and employee mentoring
G-O-O-D
Technologist Student, Full time, Seasonal (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Culture, overtimes, corporate perks, decent equipment and solid support.
Cons: bottom line always wins, any extra steps you do are unnoticed
A nice, friendly and stressless environment to learn or work in. Great for entry or higher eng/mgmt positions. A few steps ahead of the government but never pretends to compete with the private sector at all fronts. Constant cadre turnover, branch staff gets to be stolen in whole groups, leaving none of main weight-carrying specialists in the office at the end of the season, and there is no need to come early or run an extra mile at your job as it never gets noticed or appreciated. Lots of safety and culture talk. Overall pleasant, positive experience. Just don't take it all too seriously and chill while off school.
Large company; good place to start engineering career
Controls Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, good place to learn if you're starting
Cons: Too many restrictions, too slow, too risk averse
Stantec is a great company if you're just starting your career as an engineer, or if you like large company culture where roles are narrow and every little task has documentation to describe it and a person allocated to it.

Like most large companies, Stantec is a big ship that is slow in making changes.

IT department is breathing down your neck all the time. Use of computers has many restrictions.

Extremely risk averse, so if you are thinking of bringing the company work, you might have a few disappointments.

Engineering quality is usually very good.
Excellent work environment
Electrical CAD/Revit Technologist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 26, 2013
Pros: free lunch and learn
A typical day at work consisted of assisting with the design process and preparing electrical plans for institutional/ commercial buildings and generator replacements using CAD/Revit programs. I have increased my knowledge in fire alarm, lighting, power distribution plans, single line diagram and panel board schedule drawings following the Canadian Electrical Code. Continuously communicated with architects and other engineering disciplines as required for design coordination for multiple projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a project and seeing the final product.
A fairly decent company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: decent work atmosphere with all required admin support
Cons: stress to get jobs completed on time and on budget
Stantec operates in a highly structured and disciplined environment with tight dead lines. Management is fairly reasonable but some of them require coaching on how they relate to employees. Co-workers are excellent by and large with the odd exception. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance, depending upon deadlines you are up against it can be very stressful. Pay and benefits were very reasonable and the most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment when a project was completed successfully.
Fulfilling project work, beware of big company managment
Intern (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Really nice office environment with large windows, natural light, large desks and monitors. Enjoy working with co-workers of various disciplines. Encounter many complex and interesting projects.

There seem to be power struggles between different discipline managers over shared work. Because it is a large company, steady pay and consistent raises can be expected with decent performance. Being a in large company also means you are treated as a number. When work got low, there were many layoffs all at once rather than trying to retain the talented people already within the company.
Productive and worth experience
Field Assistant (Former Employee), Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NLFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: lunch money given in payments
Cons: long hours
Some work was hard, such as root cutting and digging test pits, but feeling acomplished after being done was rewarding.

I learned about my own culture(Aboriginal), because we found artifacts that my ancestors has used thousands of years back.

Co-workers were great, it was great to meet new people on the field often.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours and being exhausted from it after returning home.

The most enjoyable part was getting to experience this type of job, I'd never thought I would have the opportunity but I did and I am thankful.
Friendly non-stressful environment, but you don't learn anything
Air Quality Scientist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, lots of social events
Cons: Weak project management/training
I started working in Stantec as a junior scientist 2 years ago. I liked the friendly environment and flexible working hours. Working from home was also possible. But there was no real plan for training a junior and I didn't learn much after two years. I had to beg for new tasks and nobody really cared about my career plan. Recently I was laid off since there was not enough project works to do, at the same time some colleagues were staying late working overtime on projects!
management need to be replaced
field (Former Employee), edmontonFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: bad backstabbing management
This company say they are all about safety but when i seen the boss's come out to the field for there safety meeting's and go to the strip bar after and drink and then drive back to there rooms after
what Is that telling you, Managment say that they do not what to set you up for failure and thats all that they do,
The guy who was to train me set me up and the day that i took over was the day that the stuff hit the fan, When he was still running the show not me but he got a pat on the back and i looked bad
Upper managment need to get out and see what is really going on
n/a
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee), burnabyFebruary 3, 2014
Conducted rare plant surveys and Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM), recorded vegetation cover and rare plant observations
• Supervised subcontractor to ensure Health and Safety regulations were met
• Conducted vegetation surveys and wetland classifications
• Recorded wildlife sightings
• Compiled data, queried and reported using MS Access and Excel
• Performed quality assurance of field data for high level of accuracy
• Created Baseline Wildlife Habitat Suitability Models, data queries, TEM database and data reports
• Helped to create GIS figures for Parks Canada report
Managed By Chaos - Does NOT Pride Themselves on Ethics-Very TOXIC Place
Not Sure-Was there a title? (Former Employee), North Bay,April 10, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: everything else
Management needs to be replaced-very self serving
HR can not be trusted.
Does not view employees as worth but merely as resources.
They manage through bullying, intimidation, demoralization,
scrutinization, and belittlement.
A finger pointing environment, and are not part of helping their employees succeed.
Confidentially is preached, but not practiced.
I can not speak for all of Stantec Consulting but the North Bay office has a lot to learn....
Stantec designs with community in mind.
Structural Designer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
The Stantec community unites more than 14,000 employees working in over 230 locations. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring buildings, energy and resource, and infrastructure projects to life. Our work—professional consulting in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics—begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships.
Work somewhere else!
N/A (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: The people in Mississauga
Cons: Management Team/Board of Directors
Mississauga was a great family environment but unfortunately we could not control our work flow which was assigned by North Bay head office.

I would not return to this division, hired people and let them go within weeks of employment making false promises and very unprofessional management and directors.

If you have a choice between working at Stantec or another company, choose the other company. Reduced benefits while increasing costs.
Worst Firm I have ever seen
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, benefits
Cons: management, culture, lack of system
Oil and Gas division is a gun show. The most unqualified team of management, project managers, and senior engineers with absolutely no system in place. If you want some place to make a decent money and get by your day chit chatting and charging clients carelessly this is a place to be. Otherwise it is a waste of time. This is by far the worst firm I have ever seen and worked for in oil and gas industry.
good downtown location
Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2014
Cons: low morale, focused solely on efficiencies
Underwent a re-brand last year. The new motto was "People First".
By "people" I assume they mean shareholders, as they do very little to support or retain staff.

The organization of the company is mainly "silos" which means groups work in isolation and there is very little cross-training or communication, making it a very inefficient work environment.

The pay is below average. Very few people working there seem happy.
Great work environment - strong team in I&C Department!
Instrumentation and Controls Technologist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Stantec - sad to leave such a great company:( The I&C Department was the best bunch of co-workers to learn and grow with. Loved the flexible hours, ability to fully learn the engineering project life cycle and how the Instrumentation I worked on in the field is designed. Great to have an opportunity to design facilities that would be tech friendly!