Stantec Consulting

Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in Canada

Competitive salary, great place to learn
Mechanical/Project Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
1-Attractive compensation package and benefits
2- Impressive availability of funds/budgets for internal/external training
3-Overall a great place for learning and career development
4- Unfortunately a dull and less than friendly corporate culture
Competitive salary, Excellent employee benefits, Promotion of growth
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ManitobaFebruary 7, 2016
Competitive salary, Excellent employee benefits, Promotion of growth.

Structured organization with attention to employee's overall happiness.
Friendly & Collaborative Environment
Interior Design Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Stantec spring boarded my career into Interior Design and Business. At Stantec, I had the opportunity to work with many talented and supportive colleagues. The environment enabled people to seek out their potential and move into other areas of interest that built upon their strengths making them leaders and role models among their peers. It was privilege to work at Stantec.
Pros
Support in career
Cons
Salary
Work somewhere else!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Mississauga was a great family environment but unfortunately we could not control our work flow which was assigned by North Bay head office.

I would not return to this division, hired people and let them go within weeks of employment making false promises and very unprofessional management and directors.

If you have a choice between working at Stantec or another company, choose the other company. Reduced benefits while increasing costs.
Pros
The people in Mississauga
Cons
Management Team/Board of Directors
Productive and fun workplace
Civil Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 27, 2016
Great company to work for very flexible to balance work and life time. The management is very good as well. They are very focused on trying to keep employees to stay.
Pros
Flexible, good vacation
Cons
Low salary
Great Company to work for
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2016
I have been employed with Stantec for nearly 4 years and loved each and every one of them. They are supportive for career growth and work-life balance.
Pros
support career growth
Was a much better company before taken over by Stantec
Field Technologist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 31, 2016
I started at Jacques Whitford and then it was bought out by Stantec. Project managers became accountants and we all became a number. Management really is terrible especially in Markham and Mississauga. There is NO respect for people that work in the field.
Pros
There are some good people working there.
Cons
Management.
Large company; good place to start engineering career
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Stantec is a great company if you're just starting your career as an engineer, or if you like large company culture where roles are narrow and every little task has documentation to describe it and a person allocated to it.

Like most large companies, Stantec is a big ship that is slow in making changes.

IT department is breathing down your neck all the time. Use of computers has many restrictions.

Extremely risk averse, so if you are thinking of bringing the company work, you might have a few disappointments.

Engineering quality is usually very good.
Pros
Good benefits, good place to learn if you're starting
Cons
Too many restrictions, too slow, too risk averse
n/a
Mechanical Co-op stuent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 11, 2016
I learned autocad and revit. I had good work life balance. good management, good co-wokers. The work was fun. I had good time working over there.
A great place to work
Detailer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 4, 2016
I worked at Stantec for about a year, my team and I came from Dessau, and was treated very warmly by our new co-workers, they were very helpful and patient in helping us with administrative and logistical issues when we were trying to settle in, and from time to time we would talk in the small kitchen.

There's also frequent social events like monthly BBQ during the summer and Christmas potluck.

Unfortunately our team had financial issue and had to let me go.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to advance, friendly work environment with frequent group events
Cons
Not a lot of cooperation between teams in different sectors, they're like separate companies doing their own thing.
Unneccessary concern for Health and Safety
Archaeological Field Technician (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioSeptember 6, 2015
This job requires workers to be willing to live in hotels 5-6 days a week and work long hours 10-12 hours a day. It is a physical labor job and requires plenty of manual labor digging holes outside.

I've learned how to work with and manage large groups of people and how to motivate individuals on a daily basis to increase productivity.

Management has put in place unneccesary stadards for PPE which in turn are decreasing mobility, agility and overall the workers ability to do simple everyday tasks. This can be not only frustrating because it is not only decreasing production, worker confortability while performing physical labor at extreme temperatures but is also raising the probability of injury due to mobility restraint and increased worker fatigue.

Co-workers in the field are often given last minute instructions on a daily basis which leaves the field crew acting quickly and responding to instructions promtly. Everyone is friendly and all have common interests for working hard and getting things done in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home monday to friday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside and staying active.
Pros
per dium - $52 per day, paid travel time
Cons
long hours, no set schedule, contract work - no job security
good job archeology
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONJanuary 21, 2016
day were the same dig up 1mx1m squares and screen the soil for any historic fragments .

I learned how to identify arrow head and European tools.

Management was very good .

co-workers were very friendly and easy going.

hardest part of the job was being out in the fields with extreme heat conditions.

most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized for all the hard work we done.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
physically stressful
Amazing team
Electrical project engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 17, 2016
My 4 years at Stantec - from September 2012 to september 2016 have been very rewarding. I worked with a team of dedicated professional, always available to share their passion and knowledge. It was an overall great first professional experience. I had the opportunity to develop many skills, in parallel to be trained as project engineer and introduced to business development. Stantec offered me many opportunities I sized.
Designed with Community in Mind
COORDINATOR, IT CHANGE MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 2, 2016
This company is very active in the communities they serve and communities where they may be involved in projects.

They support their core values that they do what is right, embrace the highest standards of personal and professional integrity, and the business principles are never compromised.
Pros
Good benefits, great teams
Cons
Can be chaotic
Generally speaking, a very good place to work. Friendly people but some issues at the top.
Lead Pipeline Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
I presently have a contract at Stantec and find working there to be enjoyable and staff very friendly and helpful. Problem is, there is hardly any work there presently.

The oil and gas division is sufering right now and no other part of the company seems to want to take on people from our division...

Again, overall, i would recomend Stantec to anyone....when there is work.
Pros
work out area, freindly staff and atmosphere
Cons
no knowledge of what is going on at the top. What are they doing to get more work.
The company provide a healthy environment, good balance of work and life.
CADD Technician (Victoria) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 25, 2016
Stantec provide a healthy working environment to employees, good benefits and salary, unfortunately it depend to the individual manager that runs the department, some are great and some runs their department to their own benefits. the company policy structure is great if but not followed.
Interesting and proactive place to contribute
Facilities Operation & Management Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 18, 2016
I have been used to doing a multi task function. I have supported professional Engineers, Architects, Managers and Technicians by unloading the mundane tasks that waste their time. I am adept in process and quality improvement to make the workplace run ore efficiently. My major forte if anticipating problems and obstacles them removing them before they cause difficulty. System Analysis is
is a function I find satisfying.
Pros
To be involved in the process
Cons
Working without periodic feedback
Better as a smaller company before re-org
Project Coordinator / Environmental Planner (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2015
Bets part of job:

overtime, benefits, flexible work hours and schedule, banked time

Worst part of job:
invisible glass ceiling, poor management, poor work culture
Pros
free lunches, opportunity to work extra
Cons
management, culture, promotion
Excellent work enviroment
Geotechnical Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 11, 2016
Great benefits poor pay.
Awesome place to work, with multiple functions weekly.
My direct supervisor was an absolutely great mentor and friend.

internal promotion/ raises may not always be available due to the large chain of command.

Pay was not great...However, the work atmosphere was amazing!
Pros
Functions
Cons
Top-heavy
Good people and opportunity.
Instrumentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2016
Good place to work with a good opportunity for advancement. Managed well with a good life/work balance. Salary is comparable to rest of industry. Job security is always a concern in the oil and gas buisness.