Standard Life Employee Reviews

Company was sold
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Workplace was difficult. No flexible hours, Workload was heavy. Responsability were not properly identified. Management was not open to discussion or change. Technology was outdated.
Pros
Office Location
Cons
Not flexible, poor workrate
Undergoing many changes
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 October 2016
In my department:
* Understanding and supportive managers, respecting your intelligence and new ideas
* Smart co-workers always open to help you out
* Job could become a routine
Great place to work as it is a very technical service desk
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2016
Great place to work as it is a very technical service desk, colleagues and interaction with the users is great. The ability to have time to fix issues is great.
Pros
35 days holiday
Cons
Long days
Don't work here, unless you like to work for a government-style organization
Regional Group Retirement Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2015
very antiquated technology; accomplishments are considered accidental and leadership encourages 'yes' rather than critical thinking. Management seems stuck in the 1970s...
Pros
no sales focus
Cons
focus on admin vs sales, leadership only interested in own advancement;
Professional environment that empowers people and allows them to provide creative and innovative solutions
Analyste d'affaires (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2016
During my three and a half year as a Business Analyst consultant at Standard Life, I learned a lot about the processes in financial systems and the importance of integrating different systems together in order to streamline the processes and provide complete solutions that will be beneficial to various stakeholders from the customer service representative who will respond to members' requests to client sponsors and advisors and eventually to Standard Life members.

I have had the chance to work with different applications such as:
1) The main financial application where members contributions and withdrawals are processed, client statements are generated, withdrawals are calculated, rates are updates, and batch programs are scheduled and ran on periodic basis
2) Member and sponsor site where they can consult their statements, make withdrawals, and sell/purchase stock options
3)Customer Relationship Management application that is used for responding to customers inquiries, generating reports, and analyzing customers data that will be beneficial for improving customer satisfaction.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the projects on which I was assigned and which were different from one another and which allowed me to learn about different parts of the same application or even different applications. Some projects were about evolving the back-end application and others were about the member and sponsor site which required the solution to add or improve the current user interface to give members new features that will allow them to do it by themselves online such as
  more... the purchase and sale of stock options, generate online statement, and submit a list of employees contributions on regular basis.
I also enjoyed the different teams to which I was assigned to as they were very helpful and were open to creative and innovative ideas. There was a strong synergy in all of the teams to which I was part of and we were always able to deliver on time and with quality.
Good insurance benefits and year end bonus based on procductivity
Représentante service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal10 July 2015
I really liked Standard Life in general, but when Manulife bought the company in September 2014, my position abolished.
Pros
Team work, business mentality
Cons
advancement opportunities
Good company that is gradually deteriorating.
Former employee - Director (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2012
Standard Life is generally speaking a very good company to work for. In recent years, the company has failed to be very clear on how it implements its strategy. Leadership does not walk the talk. Anyone who applies for a job at Standard Life now should regard employment as a short-term project. It appears that random decisions are made and direction is unclear.
Pros
really nice co-workers
Cons
lack of clear strategic focus. management does not walk the talk.
Bad management
senior java developper (Former Employee) –  Montreal20 June 2014
I had to work on a project where there was always missing resources. I had to do a lot of overtime. There was no time to do proper analysis or design. Everything was rushed. Looking at the existing code it seemed that this has been the culture of the company for many years.
Pros
some great people
Cons
see my review
Residential underwriting
MORTGAGE CONSULTANT / RESIDENTIAL UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  montreal, quebec13 October 2012
Working for Standard Life was a great experience. Alot of nice people and a growing company.
A typical day for me was to underwriter new residential mortgages to employees that were either purchasing a new home or renovating an existing home. I enjoyed this type of work as it added value to the person that was purchasing the home. They appreciated my efforts. Also I oversaw the daily operations in the department as the supervisor. This also was very challenging. Continuous process improvements were implemented weekly and duplication of effort was elimated.
Associate in accounting and control management (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 July 2012
Very good work-life balance and learning environment
People are supportive
Resume
Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 July 2012
Standard Life is one of the worlds biggest Insurance company and a leader in the industry.
Pros
career oriented
Lots of potential for growth for the company
Client Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 May 2012
Standard Life is a company that has a lot of potential growth within its competing industry. As a retirement solutions specialist, I gained a lot of knowledge of pension plans and savings plans in Canada. The high volume of work kept me busy and I enjoyed that. As always, I got a long extremely well with my managers.
Pros
gained new knowledge, high work load, great managers
Cons
atmosphere, team
Working at Standard Life
Intern, Product Development (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 March 2015
The office environment is very friendly and fun. Lot's of actives and a in house gym. The work was tedious and uninteresting.
Cons
Dry work
Great company
Senior Advisor, Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC28 August 2013
Standard Life is a very good company with many opportunities.
Challenging but good benefits
CSR (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 January 2013
Administer Pension Plan

Load of information

Team work is really important
Belle expérience
Administrateur réseau (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Belle expérience, mais la consolidation vie de famille VS travaille devenait difficile.
les opportunités de développement
DIRECTRICE, CONTRÔLE OPERATIONNEL ET DOCUMENTATION (Former Employee) –  Montréal16 September 2015
Standard Life fût une entreprise qui m'a permis de grandir dans différents secteurs de l'entreprise. La formation et le mentorat étaient très important au sein de l'entreprise. Si l'entreprise canadienne n'avait pas été vendue, je serais probablement encore dans cette entreprise. Elle a toujours permis à ses employés de travailler dans différents secteurs afin d'acquérir des connaissances supplémentaires pour mieux gérer les actifs des clients et de l'entreprise.
Pros
J'ai pu grandir dans différents secteurs de l'entreprise
Cons
n/a
Compagnie qui avait à coeur la vie de leurs employés
Analyste, Opérations (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 January 2016
Stabilité et grande famille,voici les mots qui décrivent cet employeur
Sécurité de l'emploi/Évolution de carrière
Entrée de donnée/Analyste (Former Employee) –  Montréal,Canada16 October 2015
je suis rentrée comme responsable pour les appels des clients et je suis devenue Analyste grâce a mon apprentissage rapide et connaissance...bonne évolution de carrière donne aux employeurs chez Standard Life
Expérience de travail enrichissante.
Associée-soutien administratif (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 March 2015
Il s'agissait d'un remplacement de congé maladie, bien qu'ayant postulé initialement pour un autre poste permanent, les Ressources Humaines m'ont proposé cet emploi.
J'ai donc accepté, en espérant pouvoir mettre le second pied dans l'entreprise.
Pros
Bonne ambiance, bureaux spacieux et calmes.
Cons
Pas d'avantages sociaux ni de permanence.

Standard Life Reviews by Location