Standard & Poor's Employee Reviews

• An IT professional with over 13 years of experience in requirement gathering, business intelligence BI, software development and project management.
MSBI Developer (Former Employee) –  miMay 12, 2016
Standard & Poor’s is the finance agency where they updated their methodologies to assess the creditworthiness of project finance agreements as well as its assumptions of the sector specific ‘key credit factors’ that could affect various projects. Assessment covers finance framework, finance transaction structure and its operations. This new criteria for credit rating applies to their clients as a minimum requirement. So these changes would need to be reflected in BI stacks as well.
Smart People-Unclear Changes
Senior Director/Analytical Manager (Current Employee) –  NewApril 21, 2016
Smart People. Recently undergoing changes that have no clear direction. 3 CEOs in 5 years. Great place to work if you want to be in a thoughtful environment. Current direction of the company creates certain job security.
Pros
Very Smart People
Cons
Unclear Direction of Company
good exeprience learned many skills
Financial Reporter/Statistical Reporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 15, 2016
I really enjoyed my experience there I am sorry it is ending as my department is being terminated. I leaned cooperative skills writing and editing abilities.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
tough commute
S&P: Big Name, Few Opportunities
Research Assistant, Structured Finance Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
While S&P has made efforts to decentralize from its New York office, recently opening offices in Denver and Dallas, most of the better opportunities, positions, and intracompany mobility takes place in the NY office. The other offices are much smaller, and this can lead to career stagnation and, occasionally, lay offs. In the end, NY calls the shots.
Pros
Good work/life balance. Kuerig coffee maker and free lunch on Wednesdays. Good benefits.
Cons
Very small office. Environment is limiting.
Lead Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
Standard and Poors was a good place to work. It was a positive work environment and the work was both interesting and challenging.
Standard & Poor's provides interesting work, but like all major corporations, the results of your work go to the corporation, not individuals
Associate Director, Public Finance Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes learning everything about an issuer. Additionally, when I travel I got to see new places. I was able to write for the company publication, which was somewhat enjoyable but had to be limited in scope.
Pros
Good work environment and pleasant co-workers
Cons
I had to follow the corporation's schedule
nice place to work.....
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
enjoyed my time there...and looking forward to next phase of my career. had a great time...enjoyed the people and atmosphere.
A well cultured work environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2015
It was a work environment that encouraged progress and achieving the goals of the company and those that we have set for ourselves.
Pros
Working with individuals who are team-players who possess a positive work attitude.
Enjoyable, rewarding position
Contracts Administration, Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2015
Good benefits, professional atmosphere, long work hours expected. Supportive management. Location in New York City: terrific!
Standard & Poor's was interesting and exciting. Going to work everyday was a joy.
Execitive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2015
Standard & Poor's is part of The McGraw-Hill Companies. S&P publishes credit ratings worldwide, and also publish the S&P 500 Stock Index. I worked in the Global Regulatory Affairs area and interacted with associates internationally. Also worked with peers at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission. I performed the usual administrative assistant responsibilities. Because it was an international company, I learned about and had the opportunity to meet people from other cultures. It was a wonderful 17 years. I retired in May 2014, and would now like to enjoy some part time employment. I am open to learning a new field of employment. My skills are up-to-date.
Pros
I did receive breakfast and lunch every day until the company had to enlist cutbacks.
Cons
The company went through necessary changes and reduction of headcount.
Friendly but professional atmoshere
Research Specialist - Structured Finance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2014
Friendly but professional atmosphere of hard working individuals that get work done timely and efficiently. Very busy day to day operations coordinating with our global teams and working together to bounce off ideas problems issues as well as resolutions to better support the business deliver to the market. One of the hardest parts of the job besides IT constraints is the language barrier/understanding at times with our over seas counterparties. We work closely with the business to understand their needs and rely to Information technology department to be the liason to get enhancements implemented.
High-end work environment, that has served my career well
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 3, 2015
High-end work environment, that has served my career well. I've spent many productive years at S&P and value my time and growth within the organization.
Pros
workplace, opportunity, salary
Cons
cross practice opportunites
Productive and acknowledged/rewarded
Billing Analyst (Europe) (Former Employee) –  Canary WharfOctober 14, 2014
I learnt a lot throughout my time at Standard and Poors.

I enjoyed working for the company and was always acknowledged by internal customers.

I learnt about billing, had exposure to finance, put together a training package for the outsoucers, was involved with the SOX, recruitment and selection, and testing of new systems.
Mixed Review - Three Stars
Equity Analyst, Retail Sector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
I came to S&P in September 1998 and worked there until May 2000, when I quit the firm. I was hired as a tech analyst and within 3 days was transferred to retail analyst. I did not mind this; I had just worked as a bankruptcy analyst in Boca Raton, FL and was very familiar with retailers because frankly they file for Ch 11 protection often, so I felt I knew a bit about the industry.

I loved so much about the job: I gave stocks star ratings, presented my best idea in front of 50 other analysts, got to talk to CFO's to do models, you name it. I did monthly Retail Industry Surveys, and got to know great guys who were anything but the typical Wall Street arrogant type the industry is often stereotyped as. I will never forget this experience because of my co-workers.

On the downside, things were very political. As a new analyst, you had to have your writing reviewed by an editor who makes changes. As you learn what the editor wants, you are typically allowed to write reports under less supervision because you know the editors writing style. However, the system was flawed as one editor disliked certain people and just wouldn't advance them. These affected persons fought back numerous ways; by trying to get a new editor to work under who was more reasonable, talking with the superior of this person, all but to no avail. If this one person didn't like you, S&P management wouldn't advance you to the Senior Editors. At a certain point, if you aren't elevated, you were gone.

I do not believe this stock rating division still exists, and if it does probably not anymore in NYC. Although
  more... the pay is lower than the industry average, it is far outweighed by the experience. We had to join a union; a practice that wasn't bad because of its dues, but rather its ineffectiveness in protecting people who really deserved to keep their jobs. They were at that time the only union shop on the Street that I heard of.  less
Pros
Intellectually stimulating work, labor of love, smart people
Cons
Political climate in 1998-2000, the editor review process
Productive and Peaceful Environment
Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
Dissent place to work, highly techie and challenging. Good learning exposure to learn cutting edge technology and cooperative environment with freedom of sharing ideas, opinions.
Pros
well planned project planing, deliverable and friendly environment to work
Cons
very little information will be provided to start with
Supportive and stable workplace
Specialist, Global Management Risk Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2014
While this company is known for their stability, the role I am in now, while I don't foresee it disappearing, I also do not see it growing. Projects now feel like day-to-day work that must be done every year at the same time and for the same length of time, based on deadlines. However, the deadlines never bothered me. On the plus side, everyone is supportive of one another. This job has also exposed me to several career paths: risk management, project management, business analysis.
Very productive and fun workplace. Learned so much from them.
Intern/ Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2013
A typical work day involved me shadowing a ratings expert and filing paperwork.
I've learned a lot about wall street.
Management was very helpful and always had the answers to my questions.
My co-workers were all very knowledgeable and helpful.
Hardest part of the job was understanding some of the contracts.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to work great people.
Pros
working in the city.
Cons
it was a temporary position.
A job, not a career
Director (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 10, 2012
Depending upon the group you work in, management can be extremely dysfunctional. Hours and pay tend to be reasonable. Definitely not a place to go if you are looking to build a career. The company is HIGHLY regulated both by external and internal forces. Expect to spend a significant amount of time doing paperwork for all roles including Associate, Associate Director, Director, and Senior Director levels. In short, don't expect to stay too long. It's fine for a temporary holdover while you're waiting for something better to come along.
Good Work Environment and Culture
Sr. QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2013
1.Review today's plan and Task
2.Work on test plan
3.write and review test cases
4.Interact with BA and developers
5.Go throw requirement documents
6.review/rework Test cases.
7.Attend daily scrum meetings,status call meetings and team meetings.

Learned :good values,culture and environment.Easy to work attitude.

As such no hardest part at the job as easily get along and adapt new changes and environment.

Enjoyable part:Helpful,supportive Team and management.
informatica
Standard and poor's as Sr. Informatica Developer (Current Employee) –  any whereFebruary 12, 2015
: Informatica Power Center 9.1, Oracle 11.g, SQL Server 2005, Windows 2003, AIX 3.5, Analysis Services 2005, Microsoft Front Page, SharePoint Designer, Lite Speed, FTP Utilities

4.2