Standard & Poor's Employee Reviews

A good opportunity for some
Associate / Analytical Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NY25 June 2017
S&P seems to click for some people. These people are always sought after and move through the ranks quickly. Other's can easily get lost in the organization and job advancement can be difficult.
Managers compétents
Assistante de direction bilingue (Former Employee) –  Paris (75)20 April 2017
Après un cdd de plusieurs mois, j'ai dû partir car je recherchais un CDI. Mais je garde un excellent souvenir de cette société.
Pros
Bon salaire
Cons
Pas de cantine
Great Work Life Balance
Sr. Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY13 April 2017
I worked at S&P for ~10years and maintained a wonderful work/life balance. The work environment was relaxed which made my workday very easy. Mid-level managers were underdeveloped but co-workers were team oriented. It was a wonderful experience working at S&P.
Pros
Great Work/Life Balance
Cons
Poor Mid-Level Managers
Good company for graduate role
Data Analyst, Operations (Temp) (Former Employee) –  London16 January 2017
S&P is a good company to get experience working in the investment industry, however further progression can be challenging and this can have a detrimental effect on workplace morale.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY9 January 2017
Duties included but not limited to data entry, high end telephone conversations acquiring confidential financial information. Instruction of the team in proper telephone etiquette and tutorials on new application use for data storage.
Mixed Review - Three Stars
Equity Analyst, Retail Sector (Former Employee) –  New York, NY17 May 2016
I came to S&P in September 1998 and worked there until May 2000, when I quit the firm. I was hired as a tech analyst and within 3 days was transferred to retail analyst. I did not mind this; I had just worked as a bankruptcy analyst in Boca Raton, FL and was very familiar with retailers because frankly they file for Ch 11 protection often, so I felt I knew a bit about the industry.

I loved so much about the job: I gave stocks star ratings, presented my best idea in front of 50 other analysts, got to talk to CFO's to do models, you name it. I did monthly Retail Industry Surveys, and got to know great guys who were anything but the typical Wall Street arrogant type the industry is often stereotyped as. I will never forget this experience because of my co-workers.

On the downside, things were very political. As a new analyst, you had to have your writing reviewed by an editor who makes changes. As you learn what the editor wants, you are typically allowed to write reports under less supervision because you know the editors writing style. However, the system was flawed as one editor disliked certain people and just wouldn't advance them. These affected persons fought back numerous ways; by trying to get a new editor to work under who was more reasonable, talking with the superior of this person, all but to no avail. If this one person didn't like you, S&P management wouldn't advance you to the Senior Editors. At a certain point, if you aren't elevated, you were gone.

I do not believe this stock rating division still exists, and if it does probably not anymore in NYC. Although
  more... the pay is lower than the industry average, it is far outweighed by the experience. We had to join a union; a practice that wasn't bad because of its dues, but rather its ineffectiveness in protecting people who really deserved to keep their jobs. They were at that time the only union shop on the Street that I heard of.  less
Pros
Intellectually stimulating work, labor of love, smart people
Cons
Political climate in 1998-2000, the editor review process
• An IT professional with over 13 years of experience in requirement gathering, business intelligence BI, software development and project management.
MSBI Developer (Former Employee) –  mi12 May 2016
Standard & Poor’s is the finance agency where they updated their methodologies to assess the creditworthiness of project finance agreements as well as its assumptions of the sector specific ‘key credit factors’ that could affect various projects. Assessment covers finance framework, finance transaction structure and its operations. This new criteria for credit rating applies to their clients as a minimum requirement. So these changes would need to be reflected in BI stacks as well.
Smart People-Unclear Changes
Senior Director/Analytical Manager (Current Employee) –  New21 April 2016
Smart People. Recently undergoing changes that have no clear direction. 3 CEOs in 5 years. Great place to work if you want to be in a thoughtful environment. Current direction of the company creates certain job security.
Pros
Very Smart People
Cons
Unclear Direction of Company
good exeprience learned many skills
Financial Reporter/Statistical Reporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 April 2016
I really enjoyed my experience there I am sorry it is ending as my department is being terminated. I leaned cooperative skills writing and editing abilities.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
tough commute
Lead Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY31 March 2016
Standard and Poors was a good place to work. It was a positive work environment and the work was both interesting and challenging.
Une bonne société
Employé (Former Employee) –  Paris (75)11 March 2016
Si vous aimez vous investir, vous avez la possibilité de vous épanouir au sein de Standard & Poor's.

Le rythme de travail y est assez soutenu mais les relations entre collaborateurs rendent les journées passionnantes.
Pros
Relations inter-personnelles, Ce, jour de solidarité (associatif)
Cons
Réduction de l'effectif administratif donc plus de travail pour les managers
nice place to work.....
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 February 2016
enjoyed my time there...and looking forward to next phase of my career. had a great time...enjoyed the people and atmosphere.
Enjoyable, rewarding position
Contracts Administration, Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 November 2015
Good benefits, professional atmosphere, long work hours expected. Supportive management. Location in New York City: terrific!
S&P: Big Name, Few Opportunities
Research Assistant, Structured Finance Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 October 2015
While S&P has made efforts to decentralize from its New York office, recently opening offices in Denver and Dallas, most of the better opportunities, positions, and intracompany mobility takes place in the NY office. The other offices are much smaller, and this can lead to career stagnation and, occasionally, lay offs. In the end, NY calls the shots.
Pros
Good work/life balance. Kuerig coffee maker and free lunch on Wednesdays. Good benefits.
Cons
Very small office. Environment is limiting.
A well cultured work environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY15 October 2015
It was a work environment that encouraged progress and achieving the goals of the company and those that we have set for ourselves.
Pros
Working with individuals who are team-players who possess a positive work attitude.
Cons
Standard & Poor's provides interesting work, but like all major corporations, the results of your work go to the corporation, not individuals
Associate Director, Public Finance Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NY16 September 2015
A typical day at work includes learning everything about an issuer. Additionally, when I travel I got to see new places. I was able to write for the company publication, which was somewhat enjoyable but had to be limited in scope.
Pros
Good work environment and pleasant co-workers
Cons
I had to follow the corporation's schedule
Una gran compañía y un excelente lugar para laborar.
Director Latin America Ratings (Former Employee) –  Ciudad de México, DIF30 July 2015
El día con día te permite poner en práctica tus habilidades y conocimientos e incrementarlos.
Pros
Management local comprometido y conocerdor. Muy buenas prestaciones.
Cons
Management NY empírico
Standard & Poor's was interesting and exciting. Going to work everyday was a joy.
Execitive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 June 2015
Standard & Poor's is part of The McGraw-Hill Companies. S&P publishes credit ratings worldwide, and also publish the S&P 500 Stock Index. I worked in the Global Regulatory Affairs area and interacted with associates internationally. Also worked with peers at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission. I performed the usual administrative assistant responsibilities. Because it was an international company, I learned about and had the opportunity to meet people from other cultures. It was a wonderful 17 years. I retired in May 2014, and would now like to enjoy some part time employment. I am open to learning a new field of employment. My skills are up-to-date.
Pros
I did receive breakfast and lunch every day until the company had to enlist cutbacks.
Cons
The company went through necessary changes and reduction of headcount.
High-end work environment, that has served my career well
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York3 March 2015
High-end work environment, that has served my career well. I've spent many productive years at S&P and value my time and growth within the organization.
Pros
Workplace, Opportunity, Salary
Cons
Cross Practice Opportunites
Good working place to learn and work
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Chennai19 February 2015
I worked through cognizant and I am not direct employee of S&P. However, there was no much difference and work culture is same and it was good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Standard & Poor's. Our community is ready to answer.