Standard & Poor's Employee Reviews

S&P: Big Name, Few Opportunities
Research Assistant, Structured Finance Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
While S&P has made efforts to decentralize from its New York office, recently opening offices in Denver and Dallas, most of the better opportunities, positions, and intracompany mobility takes place in the NY office. The other offices are much smaller, and this can lead to career stagnation and, occasionally, lay offs. In the end, NY calls the shots.
Pros
Good work/life balance. Kuerig coffee maker and free lunch on Wednesdays. Good benefits.
Cons
Very small office. Environment is limiting.
• An IT professional with over 13 years of experience in requirement gathering, business intelligence BI, software development and project management.
MSBI Developer (Former Employee) –  miMay 12, 2016
Standard & Poor’s is the finance agency where they updated their methodologies to assess the creditworthiness of project finance agreements as well as its assumptions of the sector specific ‘key credit factors’ that could affect various projects. Assessment covers finance framework, finance transaction structure and its operations. This new criteria for credit rating applies to their clients as a minimum requirement. So these changes would need to be reflected in BI stacks as well.
nice place to work.....
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
enjoyed my time there...and looking forward to next phase of my career. had a great time...enjoyed the people and atmosphere.
Enjoyable, rewarding position
Contracts Administration, Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2015
Good benefits, professional atmosphere, long work hours expected. Supportive management. Location in New York City: terrific!
Smart People-Unclear Changes
Senior Director/Analytical Manager (Current Employee) –  NewApril 21, 2016
Smart People. Recently undergoing changes that have no clear direction. 3 CEOs in 5 years. Great place to work if you want to be in a thoughtful environment. Current direction of the company creates certain job security.
Pros
Very Smart People
Cons
Unclear Direction of Company
good exeprience learned many skills
Financial Reporter/Statistical Reporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 15, 2016
I really enjoyed my experience there I am sorry it is ending as my department is being terminated. I leaned cooperative skills writing and editing abilities.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
tough commute
Lead Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
Standard and Poors was a good place to work. It was a positive work environment and the work was both interesting and challenging.
Standard & Poor's was interesting and exciting. Going to work everyday was a joy.
Execitive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2015
Standard & Poor's is part of The McGraw-Hill Companies. S&P publishes credit ratings worldwide, and also publish the S&P 500 Stock Index. I worked in the Global Regulatory Affairs area and interacted with associates internationally. Also worked with peers at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission. I performed the usual administrative assistant responsibilities. Because it was an international company, I learned about and had the opportunity to meet people from other cultures. It was a wonderful 17 years. I retired in May 2014, and would now like to enjoy some part time employment. I am open to learning a new field of employment. My skills are up-to-date.
Pros
I did receive breakfast and lunch every day until the company had to enlist cutbacks.
Cons
The company went through necessary changes and reduction of headcount.
Mixed Review - Three Stars
Equity Analyst, Retail Sector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
I came to S&P in September 1998 and worked there until May 2000, when I quit the firm. I was hired as a tech analyst and within 3 days was transferred to retail analyst. I did not mind this; I had just worked as a bankruptcy analyst in Boca Raton, FL and was very familiar with retailers because frankly they file for Ch 11 protection often, so I felt I knew a bit about the industry.

I loved so much about the job: I gave stocks star ratings, presented my best idea in front of 50 other analysts, got to talk to CFO's to do models, you name it. I did monthly Retail Industry Surveys, and got to know great guys who were anything but the typical Wall Street arrogant type the industry is often stereotyped as. I will never forget this experience because of my co-workers.

On the downside, things were very political. As a new analyst, you had to have your writing reviewed by an editor who makes changes. As you learn what the editor wants, you are typically allowed to write reports under less supervision because you know the editors writing style. However, the system was flawed as one editor disliked certain people and just wouldn't advance them. These affected persons fought back numerous ways; by trying to get a new editor to work under who was more reasonable, talking with the superior of this person, all but to no avail. If this one person didn't like you, S&P management wouldn't advance you to the Senior Editors. At a certain point, if you aren't elevated, you were gone.

I do not believe this stock rating division still exists, and if it does probably not anymore in NYC. Although
  more... the pay is lower than the industry average, it is far outweighed by the experience. We had to join a union; a practice that wasn't bad because of its dues, but rather its ineffectiveness in protecting people who really deserved to keep their jobs. They were at that time the only union shop on the Street that I heard of.  less
Pros
Intellectually stimulating work, labor of love, smart people
Cons
Political climate in 1998-2000, the editor review process
Supportive and stable workplace
Specialist, Global Management Risk Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2014
While this company is known for their stability, the role I am in now, while I don't foresee it disappearing, I also do not see it growing. Projects now feel like day-to-day work that must be done every year at the same time and for the same length of time, based on deadlines. However, the deadlines never bothered me. On the plus side, everyone is supportive of one another. This job has also exposed me to several career paths: risk management, project management, business analysis.
A job, not a career
Director (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 10, 2012
Depending upon the group you work in, management can be extremely dysfunctional. Hours and pay tend to be reasonable. Definitely not a place to go if you are looking to build a career. The company is HIGHLY regulated both by external and internal forces. Expect to spend a significant amount of time doing paperwork for all roles including Associate, Associate Director, Director, and Senior Director levels. In short, don't expect to stay too long. It's fine for a temporary holdover while you're waiting for something better to come along.
High-end work environment, that has served my career well
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 3, 2015
High-end work environment, that has served my career well. I've spent many productive years at S&P and value my time and growth within the organization.
Pros
workplace, opportunity, salary
Cons
cross practice opportunites
Good Work Environment and Culture
Sr. QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2013
1.Review today's plan and Task
2.Work on test plan
3.write and review test cases
4.Interact with BA and developers
5.Go throw requirement documents
6.review/rework Test cases.
7.Attend daily scrum meetings,status call meetings and team meetings.

Learned :good values,culture and environment.Easy to work attitude.

As such no hardest part at the job as easily get along and adapt new changes and environment.

Enjoyable part:Helpful,supportive Team and management.
Solid company with solid leadership.
Collections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2013
I've been employed with Standard & Poor's (A division of the McGraw Hill Companies) for 25 years and have recently lost my job as a result of a departmental outsourcing. My experience with the company has been mostly positive over the years. While I might not necessarily agree with some of the decisions made at the top levels, I understand and accept those decisions. I've had the benefit of working with some tremendously talented people in my career with the company. While with the company, I managed approximately 10 people. At times, it was a high pressure environment with strict goals that needed to be met (consistently). This was one of my favorite parts of the job as I work very well under pressure! I need to be moving fast and I do my best work under these conditions. Managing an in-house team that was responsible for ALL company receivables was not an easy task. I consider specialized collections an art form. The ability to negotiate (successfully) with high level clients at very prestigious firms (and for VERY large sums of money) can be very off-putting to some. For me and my team, it was a very rewarding experience!
Pros
strong leadership, great company culture
Cons
flex time, telecommuting
Standard & Poor's provides interesting work, but like all major corporations, the results of your work go to the corporation, not individuals
Associate Director, Public Finance Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes learning everything about an issuer. Additionally, when I travel I got to see new places. I was able to write for the company publication, which was somewhat enjoyable but had to be limited in scope.
Pros
Good work environment and pleasant co-workers
Cons
I had to follow the corporation's schedule
Insufficient Security
Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2012
S&P has afforded me the opportunity to learn a great deal about finance and accounting, but opportunities for advancement have been rare, and based as much on personal connection as professional merit. Reinvestment of profits, which continue to soar, continue to shift from employee to executives and shareholders.
A well cultured work environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2015
It was a work environment that encouraged progress and achieving the goals of the company and those that we have set for ourselves.
Pros
Working with individuals who are team-players who possess a positive work attitude.
Cons
Utility work with little change
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2014
I have been at Standard & Poor's for thirteen years and have been promoted over the years several times. The management structure is very tall and heavy. The people that I work with are genuine, good people that do not treat the job as a revolving door but as a career.
Pros
it can be a lifelong job
Cons
it can be a lifelong job
Exceptional Place to Work
Associate Director - Servicer Evaluations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2014
Long hours, excellent internal resources, fully integrated systems, regulated entity, fair and impartial organization. Excellent work culture and quality of professionals. People helping people. Team effort, respect, compliance and QA/QC.
Pros
the organization supercedes expectations
Very productive and fun workplace. Learned so much from them.
Intern/ Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2013
A typical work day involved me shadowing a ratings expert and filing paperwork.
I've learned a lot about wall street.
Management was very helpful and always had the answers to my questions.
My co-workers were all very knowledgeable and helpful.
Hardest part of the job was understanding some of the contracts.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to work great people.
Pros
working in the city.
Cons
it was a temporary position.

4.2