Standard & Poor's Employee Reviews

• An IT professional with over 13 years of experience in requirement gathering, business intelligence BI, software development and project management.
MSBI Developer (Former Employee) –  mi12 May 2016
Standard & Poor’s is the finance agency where they updated their methodologies to assess the creditworthiness of project finance agreements as well as its assumptions of the sector specific ‘key credit factors’ that could affect various projects. Assessment covers finance framework, finance transaction structure and its operations. This new criteria for credit rating applies to their clients as a minimum requirement. So these changes would need to be reflected in BI stacks as well.
Smart People-Unclear Changes
Senior Director/Analytical Manager (Current Employee) –  New21 April 2016
Smart People. Recently undergoing changes that have no clear direction. 3 CEOs in 5 years. Great place to work if you want to be in a thoughtful environment. Current direction of the company creates certain job security.
Pros
Very Smart People
Cons
Unclear Direction of Company
good exeprience learned many skills
Financial Reporter/Statistical Reporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 April 2016
I really enjoyed my experience there I am sorry it is ending as my department is being terminated. I leaned cooperative skills writing and editing abilities.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
tough commute
Lead Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY31 March 2016
Standard and Poors was a good place to work. It was a positive work environment and the work was both interesting and challenging.
S&P: Big Name, Few Opportunities
Research Assistant, Structured Finance Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 October 2015
While S&P has made efforts to decentralize from its New York office, recently opening offices in Denver and Dallas, most of the better opportunities, positions, and intracompany mobility takes place in the NY office. The other offices are much smaller, and this can lead to career stagnation and, occasionally, lay offs. In the end, NY calls the shots.
Pros
Good work/life balance. Kuerig coffee maker and free lunch on Wednesdays. Good benefits.
Cons
Very small office. Environment is limiting.
Standard & Poor's provides interesting work, but like all major corporations, the results of your work go to the corporation, not individuals
Associate Director, Public Finance Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NY16 September 2015
A typical day at work includes learning everything about an issuer. Additionally, when I travel I got to see new places. I was able to write for the company publication, which was somewhat enjoyable but had to be limited in scope.
Pros
Good work environment and pleasant co-workers
Cons
I had to follow the corporation's schedule
nice place to work.....
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 February 2016
enjoyed my time there...and looking forward to next phase of my career. had a great time...enjoyed the people and atmosphere.
A well cultured work environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY15 October 2015
It was a work environment that encouraged progress and achieving the goals of the company and those that we have set for ourselves.
Pros
Working with individuals who are team-players who possess a positive work attitude.
Enjoyable, rewarding position
Contracts Administration, Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 November 2015
Good benefits, professional atmosphere, long work hours expected. Supportive management. Location in New York City: terrific!
Standard & Poor's was interesting and exciting. Going to work everyday was a joy.
Execitive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 June 2015
Standard & Poor's is part of The McGraw-Hill Companies. S&P publishes credit ratings worldwide, and also publish the S&P 500 Stock Index. I worked in the Global Regulatory Affairs area and interacted with associates internationally. Also worked with peers at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission. I performed the usual administrative assistant responsibilities. Because it was an international company, I learned about and had the opportunity to meet people from other cultures. It was a wonderful 17 years. I retired in May 2014, and would now like to enjoy some part time employment. I am open to learning a new field of employment. My skills are up-to-date.
Pros
I did receive breakfast and lunch every day until the company had to enlist cutbacks.
Cons
The company went through necessary changes and reduction of headcount.
Friendly but professional atmoshere
Research Specialist - Structured Finance (Current Employee) –  New York, NY25 November 2014
Friendly but professional atmosphere of hard working individuals that get work done timely and efficiently. Very busy day to day operations coordinating with our global teams and working together to bounce off ideas problems issues as well as resolutions to better support the business deliver to the market. One of the hardest parts of the job besides IT constraints is the language barrier/understanding at times with our over seas counterparties. We work closely with the business to understand their needs and rely to Information technology department to be the liason to get enhancements implemented.
Supportive and stable workplace
Specialist, Global Management Risk Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NY29 April 2014
While this company is known for their stability, the role I am in now, while I don't foresee it disappearing, I also do not see it growing. Projects now feel like day-to-day work that must be done every year at the same time and for the same length of time, based on deadlines. However, the deadlines never bothered me. On the plus side, everyone is supportive of one another. This job has also exposed me to several career paths: risk management, project management, business analysis.
A job, not a career
Director (Current Employee) –  New York10 March 2012
Depending upon the group you work in, management can be extremely dysfunctional. Hours and pay tend to be reasonable. Definitely not a place to go if you are looking to build a career. The company is HIGHLY regulated both by external and internal forces. Expect to spend a significant amount of time doing paperwork for all roles including Associate, Associate Director, Director, and Senior Director levels. In short, don't expect to stay too long. It's fine for a temporary holdover while you're waiting for something better to come along.
Good Work Environment and Culture
Sr. QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NY6 March 2013
1.Review today's plan and Task
2.Work on test plan
3.write and review test cases
4.Interact with BA and developers
5.Go throw requirement documents
6.review/rework Test cases.
7.Attend daily scrum meetings,status call meetings and team meetings.

Learned :good values,culture and environment.Easy to work attitude.

As such no hardest part at the job as easily get along and adapt new changes and environment.

Enjoyable part:Helpful,supportive Team and management.
Very productive and fun workplace. Learned so much from them.
Intern/ Ratings (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 March 2013
A typical work day involved me shadowing a ratings expert and filing paperwork.
I've learned a lot about wall street.
Management was very helpful and always had the answers to my questions.
My co-workers were all very knowledgeable and helpful.
Hardest part of the job was understanding some of the contracts.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to work great people.
Pros
working in the city.
Cons
it was a temporary position.
Productive and acknowledged/rewarded
Billing Analyst (Europe) (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf14 October 2014
I learnt a lot throughout my time at Standard and Poors.

I enjoyed working for the company and was always acknowledged by internal customers.

I learnt about billing, had exposure to finance, put together a training package for the outsoucers, was involved with the SOX, recruitment and selection, and testing of new systems.
Great to experience the 2008 economic meltdown first hand.
Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 April 2013
I did very important financial work, it was directly connected to the mass meltdown of the US economy. As a result. Most investment companies were reduced to less than fifty percent and our department was outsourced to Puni, India.
Pros
met great influential people in the financial industry.
Cons
departments are outsourced for budgetary reasons.
Excellent Project Management teams and culture.
Director/Ratings Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NY2 July 2012
A typical day at work is to meet with and lead cross-functional teams in order to meet the strategic objectives of the firm for regulatory compliance purposes. After meeting with different teams, develop end-to-end processes and when necessary develop training sessions globally regarding the new regulations or changes.
Productive and Peaceful Environment
Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY1 October 2014
Dissent place to work, highly techie and challenging. Good learning exposure to learn cutting edge technology and cooperative environment with freedom of sharing ideas, opinions.
Pros
Well planned project planing, deliverable and friendly environment to work
Cons
Very little information will be provided to start with
Exceptional Place to Work
Associate Director - Servicer Evaluations (Current Employee) –  New York, NY12 March 2014
Long hours, excellent internal resources, fully integrated systems, regulated entity, fair and impartial organization. Excellent work culture and quality of professionals. People helping people. Team effort, respect, compliance and QA/QC.
Pros
The organization supercedes expectations

4.2