Standard & Poor's Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Senior Hyperion Infrastructure Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 August 2017
Typical workplace with great colleagues.Work was well planned and managed by an experienced CTO.Workplace culture was laidback and relaxed with emphasis on individual milestones
Almost an acedmic environment
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NY2 August 2017
Empowerment to have impact from any level in rating committees. A great place to hone writing skills and learn about ratings and meet mid level to senior managements. travel and exposure are also good benefits.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Slow advanvcement
Nice
Senior Technical Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NY27 July 2017
S&P was a nice place to work and the people were amazing. There was oppertunity for advancement The company also provided tuition reimbursement which encouraged educational development.
Interesting Learning Experience
Public Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 July 2017
Learned how to read credit reports and how credit ratings were given. Supervisor was pretty nice. Cool places nearby for lunch. Nice lawn outside to eat lunch.
Pros
Cool lawn for lunch, awesome supervisor
Cons
Reading credit reports
Good place.
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tokyo, Japan6 July 2017
- Excellent management.
- Working on financial applications.
- Tech stack is not bad for financial company. Architects will fly out from HQ to lecture and train new technical standards for the company.

- Working hours are from 9 to 6, sometimes overtime.
- Since the nature of business if finance, even IT department needs to dress semi formal.

- Good benefits and the best part is the managers care about your career growth within the company.
Pros
Excellent Management
Cons
IT geeks might not like the dress code.
Great!
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NY3 July 2017
Excellent place to work and grow. Great opportunities to learn from other professionals and to collaborate to meet client and market needs. An enriching and fulfilling experience.
Great place to be
Sr. IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY26 June 2017
I worked on developing EMEA modeling engine using C++. It was great to work with a top class team. We had full SCRUM implementation and there was so much to learn and contribute.
Pros
Great working team
Cons
Contract work
A good opportunity for some
Associate / Analytical Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NY25 June 2017
S&P seems to click for some people. These people are always sought after and move through the ranks quickly. Other's can easily get lost in the organization and job advancement can be difficult.
Managers compétents
Assistante de direction bilingue (Former Employee) –  Paris (75)20 April 2017
Après un cdd de plusieurs mois, j'ai dû partir car je recherchais un CDI. Mais je garde un excellent souvenir de cette société.
Pros
Bon salaire
Cons
Pas de cantine
Great Work Life Balance
Sr. Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY13 April 2017
I worked at S&P for ~10years and maintained a wonderful work/life balance. The work environment was relaxed which made my workday very easy. Mid-level managers were underdeveloped but co-workers were team oriented. It was a wonderful experience working at S&P.
Pros
Great Work/Life Balance
Cons
Poor Mid-Level Managers
Good company for graduate role
Data Analyst, Operations (Temp) (Former Employee) –  London16 January 2017
S&P is a good company to get experience working in the investment industry, however further progression can be challenging and this can have a detrimental effect on workplace morale.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY9 January 2017
Duties included but not limited to data entry, high end telephone conversations acquiring confidential financial information. Instruction of the team in proper telephone etiquette and tutorials on new application use for data storage.
Mixed Review - Three Stars
Equity Analyst, Retail Sector (Former Employee) –  New York, NY17 May 2016
I came to S&P in September 1998 and worked there until May 2000, when I quit the firm. I was hired as a tech analyst and within 3 days was transferred to retail analyst. I did not mind this; I had just worked as a bankruptcy analyst in Boca Raton, FL and was very familiar with retailers because frankly they file for Ch 11 protection often, so I felt I knew a bit about the industry.

I loved so much about the job: I gave stocks star ratings, presented my best idea in front of 50 other analysts, got to talk to CFO's to do models, you name it. I did monthly Retail Industry Surveys, and got to know great guys who were anything but the typical Wall Street arrogant type the industry is often stereotyped as. I will never forget this experience because of my co-workers.

On the downside, things were very political. As a new analyst, you had to have your writing reviewed by an editor who makes changes. As you learn what the editor wants, you are typically allowed to write reports under less supervision because you know the editors writing style. However, the system was flawed as one editor disliked certain people and just wouldn't advance them. These affected persons fought back numerous ways; by trying to get a new editor to work under who was more reasonable, talking with the superior of this person, all but to no avail. If this one person didn't like you, S&P management wouldn't advance you to the Senior Editors. At a certain point, if you aren't elevated, you were gone.

I do not believe this stock rating division still exists, and if it does probably not anymore in NYC. Although
  more... the pay is lower than the industry average, it is far outweighed by the experience. We had to join a union; a practice that wasn't bad because of its dues, but rather its ineffectiveness in protecting people who really deserved to keep their jobs. They were at that time the only union shop on the Street that I heard of.  less
Pros
Intellectually stimulating work, labor of love, smart people
Cons
Political climate in 1998-2000, the editor review process
• An IT professional with over 13 years of experience in requirement gathering, business intelligence BI, software development and project management.
MSBI Developer (Former Employee) –  mi12 May 2016
Standard & Poor’s is the finance agency where they updated their methodologies to assess the creditworthiness of project finance agreements as well as its assumptions of the sector specific ‘key credit factors’ that could affect various projects. Assessment covers finance framework, finance transaction structure and its operations. This new criteria for credit rating applies to their clients as a minimum requirement. So these changes would need to be reflected in BI stacks as well.
Smart People-Unclear Changes
Senior Director/Analytical Manager (Current Employee) –  New21 April 2016
Smart People. Recently undergoing changes that have no clear direction. 3 CEOs in 5 years. Great place to work if you want to be in a thoughtful environment. Current direction of the company creates certain job security.
Pros
Very Smart People
Cons
Unclear Direction of Company
good exeprience learned many skills
Financial Reporter/Statistical Reporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 April 2016
I really enjoyed my experience there I am sorry it is ending as my department is being terminated. I leaned cooperative skills writing and editing abilities.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
tough commute
Lead Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY31 March 2016
Standard and Poors was a good place to work. It was a positive work environment and the work was both interesting and challenging.
Une bonne société
Employé (Former Employee) –  Paris (75)11 March 2016
Si vous aimez vous investir, vous avez la possibilité de vous épanouir au sein de Standard & Poor's.

Le rythme de travail y est assez soutenu mais les relations entre collaborateurs rendent les journées passionnantes.
Pros
Relations inter-personnelles, Ce, jour de solidarité (associatif)
Cons
Réduction de l'effectif administratif donc plus de travail pour les managers
nice place to work.....
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 February 2016
enjoyed my time there...and looking forward to next phase of my career. had a great time...enjoyed the people and atmosphere.
Enjoyable, rewarding position
Contracts Administration, Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 November 2015
Good benefits, professional atmosphere, long work hours expected. Supportive management. Location in New York City: terrific!