St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital Employee Reviews

A good organization to work for.
Senior Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 November 2016
I was made to feel welcome when I was hired. I had a very good team of co-workers who cared about giving quality patient care. I was able to advance within the organization.
Pros
I had an exceptional manager.
Fun place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 October 2016
Great place to work if you like to be busy. I love interacting with the patients and visitors. Management needs to look at their employees needs more and be more pro-active with the needs of them. There's a lot of micro-managing which causes more tension
Great place to work!
PERIOPERATIVE NURSE/OR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2016
A welcoming environment, great team atmosphere, excellent patient empathy. Wonderful variety of experienced surgeons, doctors, nurses and volunteers. Could offer more of a cafeteria, as it closes at 3, the people who work 3-11 and midnights aren't able to take advantage of being able to buy lunch there.
Great facility with small town care
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON16 March 2016
A modern hospital with the hospitality of a small town. A lot of care and compassion on every level. Many services offered without having to travel to larger hospitals.
Love it
employee (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON14 November 2015
Managers are hard to deal with, must always have union rep regardless of context of conversation. Co-workers were amazing, couldn't have asked for better people to work with!er nurses can be a challenge to work with at times but usually are a great group of people? All doctors were fantastic, always answered questions! Housekeeping is your best friend... They go above and beyond!! Can be very stressful but well worth it!
Pros
Make a difference in small community
Cons
Managers disrespectful- no consequences
Very interesting place to work and I've learned a lot about the hospital process.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON18 September 2015
I has been a huge learning curve learning about the hospital procedures. Every one here is really nice and supportive. I have enjoyed the challenge of learning a new job and I am happy to have this experience. Unfortunately, at this time there is not any room for me to advance to a full time position due to the number of qualified staff with more seniority.
Pros
Staff and management very supportive.
Cons
No guaranteed amount of work hours.
Management focused
Nurse (Current Employee) –  dirrect care14 March 2015
Have worked here for 10 years and have had 6 managers therefore impossible for continuity of departmental issues. Hospital wants people work no matter if sick due to there strict sick policy. Employees are interviewed and harassed when using sick and/or Emergency days that are part of our benefits and rights as employees.
Our department has issues retaining staff due to management and difficult staff. Staff not supportive of each other.
Pros
Small community, close to work, good wage
Cons
no staff support, EAP terrible, staff very catty, gossipy and not supportive, managers not staff supportive
Management heavy workplace
RN (Current Employee) –  St Thomas23 November 2014
As title states, management heavy(not only their weight) who spend most of their time in meetings followed by chatting in the halls with their Tim Hortons coffee. This facilities' PRIMARY objective is to push the blessed FOUNDATION to raise money for the "Hospital" which is then allocated to interests of MANAGEMENT not "patient focus" as they use a regular buzzwords. Get on the inside track and you too can enjoy the "Free Ride", if not, be prepared to work your butt off!
Pros
Great patient population
Cons
See Above
Great place to work.
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON4 February 2014
I enjoy working at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital. I do sterile and non-sterile compounding. I also do order entry and deal with narcotics. Order entry was a part of my job as well.
Pros
Good benefits and high wages.
Cons
Working nights sometimes.
Professional Learning Environment
Contract - Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON12 May 2013
Fast paced, multitasking, time sensitive work day.
Learned to fine tune work skills to support a variety of Managers.
Management was very supportive with training and resources.
Co-workers were supportive in sharing knowledge.
Hardest part of job was working in a confined office space.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the Managers and Staff. I was able to utilize all my previous office skills and newly acquired job skills from my recent college course.
Pros
Supportive Employer on all levels
Cons
Compete with "part-time" Nurses for Administrative roles.

2.6