St. Paul Travelers

St. Paul Travelers Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Developer (Former Employee), Pune IndiaJune 18, 2013
Good work culture, content and process wise.
It is Automatic Program Collection System which is used for the Policy booking. It collects the program from various clients and then does policy number generation along with edits and validation. Provides Management tools and policy processing tools. Uses Xml operations along with windows and web service.
OK place to work, lot of turnover.
Field Auto Damage Appraiser (Former Employee), Richardson, TXJune 14, 2013
High turnover rate in the office speaks for itself. You're just another number to them and all they look at is the bottom line.
office work 8-5
Telephonic Nurse Case Manager/Workers compensation (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no flexibility
comfortable working environment with good benefits. Busy office environment with good training. work is challenging and busy
I would go back to this job
SALES COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Richardson, TXMay 24, 2013
This company is not perfect but it really wasn't a bad place to work. Not a typical sales job. I felt I had more job security than I would in another sales position.
I worked in the Harford Ct Office, not in St. Paul
Director, Architecture Practice Office (Former Employee), Hartford, CTMay 23, 2013
I worked in the Harford office in the new Enterprise Architecture Office. I enjoyed the people that I worked with but had a very hard time performing job duties with no formal Architecture methodology and a leadership team that was at odds with each other.
Loved working here!
Support Specialist (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAMay 23, 2013
Pros: competitive pay
I absolutely loved working here as a temporary employee. The environment was friendly and the people were welcoming. The culture is awesome and would go back as a full-time employee the first chance I get!
They ship job overseas!!!!!
AE (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 22, 2013
Pros: temporary job, until you can find something better
Cons: management promises
This compoany does not appreciate the workers. It is a boys club based upon hiring relatives of workers and promoting buddy systems.
All of the AE's in Denver were replaced with call centers in India!!!!
Ruthless ambitious upper managemet. Dont work here its a downer.
Great opportunity to learn and move up
Senior Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Hartford, CTMay 19, 2013
Great opportunity to learn and move up in a larged, matrixed organizations. There are many employees to meet and network with.
Stable company with opportunity to move around
Sr. Market Analyst, Small Commercial Product Mgmt (Current Employee), Hartford, CTMay 15, 2013
Pros: stability
Cons: career advancement
Travelers is a financially stable company with a solid culture. Given it's size there is significant opportunity to move around within the organization.
It's been a good 13.5 years
Managing Director, National Property Division (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 14, 2013
Pros: autonomous environment and excellent resources.
Cons: becoming very structured in a unit that has not been so structured, some limited upward mobility in territory i prefer to reside.
Autonomous environment provides good work/life balance. Being a thin organization in National Property provides limited room for growth.
Peaceful environment, multiple tasked, detail oriented
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 13, 2013
Pros: my own cubicle
Cons: not enough duties
A typical day at work was a room of no more than ten employees assigned to their own cubical, dealing with insurance claims on a daily basis, entering client's information and identifying with what type of claim it is, shipping claims to various cities. I learned how to ship files and boxes to other states, creating lists of names of clients in alphabetical – more... and numerology order as well. My co-workers were very helpful and encouraging. The hardest part of the job was finding specific dates of when the claim was made to enter into the system. The most enjoyable part of the job was having my own space to work in, feeling responsible for my own work space. – less
As a property adjuster consistency is the objective. Customer service, communication, policy inturpretation and caseload are prioroties
Insurance Property Adjuster (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 9, 2013
Pros: co workers were very good, approachable, and ready to assist with any questions. teamwork was a huge part of the success we enjoyed.
Cons: management was inconsistant and communication was poor.
I had four different unit managers in less than two years, so it was difficult to have consistency. I received very good training, however follow up was not completed. Management shifted priorities often, and their communication was not as clear as it should have been. I generally exceeded expectation on case work and completing files in a timely basis.
This sweat shop is full of dead end jobs....Don't work here.
Claims (Current Employee), Great Lakes RegionMay 9, 2013
Pros: above average salary and benefits
Cons: poorly managed from the top down, low moral, you are set up to fail in this work environment.
Travelers keeps cutting lower management positions so you have fewer places to go for help if needed. Leadership from upper management is not strong enough to stop outside claims support groups such as Claim Product Management and Quality Management who basically dictate to experienced unit managers and adjusters what should be included in files. Then – more... managers use minor points that have no bearing on file outcomes or customer service to deny yearly raises or bonuses. Employee moral is poor because management would rather concentrate on what is wrong instead of what is being done right and there is plenty of second guessing of your claim decisions by management and field trainers. You are set up to fail from the beginning because of outrageous work loads throughout most of the year. You are always under a microscope in terms of what you include in each file as there is too much to do on each claim as dictated by the groups I mentioned above. They are always short staffed even though management will deny this base on some outdated formula. There is no clerical support or efficient letter correspondence system. – less
Terrible Environment
Claims Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 3, 2013
Pros: sometimes you got the scraps left over from management meetings in the breakroom
Cons: manager never present, cold sterile environment, micro managaged, unrealistic expectations
I had high expectations starting work there, but quickly found out from experience and people talking around me that they were trying to get out and it wasn't a good place to work. The only way to get ahead is if you are part of someone's family (nepotism at it's finest), you won't be eligible for a raise for at least a year, regardless of your performance, – more... it you are eligible for a raise after that, the managers have a yearly "rate and rank" where they all join in a conference room and gossip to each other about the worker's pros and cons and if they deserve a raise or not. This way all the management knows about you even if they aren't your manager. Good luck getting a raise if you aren't a favorite. I thought my manager was so self-absorbed, she was never around and only cared about getting ahead herself. Horrible boss with no social skills. She wasn't interested in her team at all. They'll work you to death with no "thank you" or "good job." I can see now why there is such a high turnover in the Portland, OR office. Good news, they give you a lot of time off---Therefore, there's always one or two people missing from your team at any time giving everyone else more work. – less
Very good Insurance Company to work with.
Utilization Review Nurse (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 2, 2013
Pros: gym, showers, good breaks
Cons: evaluated on number of days you saved the insurance company while the patient was hospitalized.
Was only there a year. Phone and lots of computer work. This job was in Tampa and don't know if it is still in business.
great work place, awesome people who worked with me
Claims Support Specialist (Former Employee), Westborough, MAApril 24, 2013
Pros: friday dress down days
Worked 8 hours and it flew by because I always had a lot to do.
Learned about personal insurance and its importance to the costumer.
Management from the CEO to my direct supervisor were always available to its' employees
Good place to work if you like having to work a 15 hour shift the day before going into surgery! This company will work you until they no longer can!
Account Manager (Former Employee), St. Paul, MNApril 23, 2013
Pros: pto
Cons: read the few reasons why i resigned after 15 years.
I now know why everyone who I looked up to left the company. The culture has changed and it is no longer the same good company to work for. Most are still there as they plan to retire in a couple years and do not want to lose their pension. While others are not in a position to resign.

Anyhow, I am one of the lucky few who could and can honesty say, – more... "Resigning is the best decision I ever made."

The below are a few reasons why I resigned after 15 years.

* Underpaid and overworked (easily putting 50-60 hours/week).
* Forced work a 13 hour shift the day before surgery.
* False promises.
* Poor management.
* Extreme micromanagement.
* Race discrimination and favoritism from upper management.
* Back stabbing colleagues who will not speak the facts because they are afraid they will next.
* Poor training and inconsistency across the board.
* High turnover.

Bottom line, management can and will treat you anyway they want with the help of HR personnel. – less
Good stable company
Director (Current Employee), Hartford, CTApril 22, 2013
Solid company, good technology. Work life balance could be much better
Stressful culture
Brookfield office (Current Employee), WisconsinApril 9, 2013
Pros: fair compensation, benefits okay.
Cons: on your own, no "team", cold sterile environment, micro managaged, unrealistic expectations
High pace, high expectations, cold environment, no team building and on your own with little to no management support. No balance between work and home, expected to work nights and weekends. Micromanaged to death.
Terrible place to work, bad work culture, Employees neglected.
Not announced (Former Employee), hartford, ctMarch 28, 2013
Pros: ok benefits, some good people.
Cons: lower salaries, mis-managed, long hours, unhealthy culture, lack of job security, huge turn over
Overall very poorly managed and unhealthy work culture. Only a very few favored get promotions, bonuses and better opportunities, that too based on an underground buddy system.
Very few areas within Travelers may be OK to work.

When the company no longer wants you around they will create unfair negative performance reviews and start harassing you and – more... force you out of a job. They have a high turnover rate and hence are always hiring. Seems they do not care about employee’s needs and career path and do not believe in nurturing an employee’s career and have them grow with the company and become successful contributors.

If you plan to join this co., then find another job. If you are in there, run and find another job. – less

About St. Paul Travelers

Running a business is a risk The Travelers Companies will insure. While it does offer personal auto and homeowners insurance, the – Read more