St. Paul Travelers Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun workplace
Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Detroit, MINovember 19, 2014
Pros: not enough help
Cons: benefits
great company to work for. excellent training and great dealing with customers. a valuable work experience. company closed in det, mi where I was working otherwise I still would have been there
Their Initial Treatment of the Employee Made Me Quickly Fiercely Loyal
Training (Former Employee), WashingtonNovember 18, 2014
On the whole, the organization is the most amazing place to work for. Excellent advancement opportunities. However two things make it a major risk if consider working there. Firstly, unless you are in a home office role (Hartford, CT or St Paul, MN) your overall experience is almost ENTIRELY dependent upon the quality of your manager. Not all managers at Travelers are worth anything. Some are downright horrible and their employees suffer. I was fortunate to have the most amazing manager so my experience was amazing on the whole. Secondly, and more gravely concerning, the company, like most large 40k+ employee Fortune 100 or 500 companies, are beginning to value efficiency and machine like consistency from their employees that they feel can only be achieved, cost effective anyhow, by outsourcing, new automation, or more rigorous "best practices... thus eliminating the value on the human element of the jobs. My opinion is that the human element, not completely consistent ever due to the fact that we are humans, is the most critical element that separates out the men from the "trained monkeys." Our ability to adjust and adapt to ever changing circumstances and make nuanced and thoughtful decisions that best cater to our end customer whomever that may be is the single most critical element we can contribute and taking the freedom to adjust on a case by case basis away from the employees cripples them, demoralizes them and takes away their self worth and relegates them to the same level as machines and/or trained animals. Travelers, like many large corporations today, has succumbed to this temptation and this "disease" is running rampant through the entire enterprise.
Good Challenge
General Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2014
I would work here for my entire career. It is wonderful company.
Great Experience
Econometrics and All Lines Analytics Intern (Former Employee), Hartford, CTNovember 4, 2014
As an intern, I felt very welcomed by everyone who worked there. Everyone was friendly and always willing to help you out when they can.
Stable company, continued financial growth
Manager, Human Resources (Current Employee), Blue Bell, PANovember 4, 2014
Pros: financially stable company
Cons: very conservative company, makes employee retention difficult at times
Travelers is a very stable company and continues to grow financially. We are all focused on the bottom line and to increase value for shareholders.
For Travelers, I worked as a claims auditor.
Claims auditor (Former Employee), Matteson, ILOctober 31, 2014
Pros: ok
Cons: ok
I enjoyed worked at Travelers as a claims auditor and giving reports to the trainers so that the trainers can update all of the processors or help in training.
Travelers Insruance
Manager Diane Nichols (Former Employee), Diamond Bar, CAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
positive work environment, multi lines investigations completed.
Great compensation/Benefits
Claims Dispatcher (Former Employee), Naperville, ILOctober 23, 2014
I thought this was a good place to work but I didn't see any room for growth.
Stable Company
Agency Compensation Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Hartford, CTOctober 21, 2014
Pros: lots of community service opertunities
Cons: co-pays for medication was often high.
My co-workers were very nice. This job sometimes involved long hours during payout season. Exempt employees do not get paid overtime. The hardest part of the job was writing more complex SQL queries and knowing which tables to pull in for the expected results. The most enjoyable part of the job was answering Field Office inquiries, and balancing calculation statements.
Hardest part of the job
Field Product Line Manager (Current Employee), HartfordOctober 14, 2014
Dealing with multiple bosses that all want someting done in a different way.
Best Insurance Company I've worked for as well
Senior Clerk (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great people, benefits, management etc
One of the best Insurance companies in San Francisco. I had no issues at all. Love this company.
Ok company to work for.
Director Operations (Current Employee), Richardson, TXOctober 9, 2014
It's a fine company to work for. Leadership is adequately trained, but should spend more time in getting to know their employees and properly pay for performance.
Busy, excellent company
Outside Claims Representative (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 3, 2014
I worked in claims where everyday day brought something new. Enjoyed the autonomy and flexibility that the company offered.
Poor Management
Senior Insurance Service Representative (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 2, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor management and no job security
Travelers used to be a great company to work for but recently in the past couple years they started grading quality on a bell curve which guarantees that even with the entire staff performing 85% quality and above they punish the bottom 20% of employees and there is not job security
Overworked
Personal Lines Underwriter (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYSeptember 21, 2014
With the closing of two business centers the company has not prepared very well causing a very stressful work environment.
Claim Operations was not challenging - a lot of mundane work
Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Denver TravelersSeptember 19, 2014
No work/life balance - felt like I worked in a sweat shop without challenging work
Great opportunity to provide service to the insured
Claim Representative (Former Employee), Naperville, IllinoisSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: variety
Cons: not all losses are covered
The claim' experience allows the adjuster the opportunity to become both detective and advocate for losses suffered by the insured. Through multiple points of contact a loss is reconstructed in order to determine the amount of coverage available to return the insured to the point prior to an issue for a covered cause of loss.
enjoyable
Insurance Service Rep (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2014
A typical day at work would be assisting agents and customers based on their individual needs. I've learned that everyone wants to be assisted but may not know how to ask for help or exactly what they need. My co-workers were always willing to assist and offer their own experts advice. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone due to policies and procedures. The most enjoying point is assisting customers and helping them to understand their policies.
Great Place to work
Agency Underwriter (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2014
Responded to inbound calls from agents and clients regarding all aspects of insurance. All while providing great customer service.
Did like job
Licensed Insurance Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 4, 2014
Fast paced
How process quotes
Call center did not like
Coworkers friendly