St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and multicultural place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 29, 2016
Typical day at work is to check all the temperatures, prepare QC's and disinfect benches.
I learned to multitask all the time and be sharp in listening the the environment. The management always have a huddle group every 9 am for 5 minutes to gather all the staffs and give updates if there are problems occur in each department. All the co-workers are friendly, nice and willing to help and to listen if someone has questions. The hardest part of the job is when a staff call sick, and that means double workloads to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone cheering each other and give a few seconds to joke around in the middle of work just to ease the workload tensions in order to boost the energy's atmosphere. It works like magic!
benefits
Cons
short hours
Provided a flexible hands off managing environment where employees have their freedom to think for themselves
Payroll and Workforce Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2016
 Manage a Team of HRIS and Payroll in a Unionized/Non Union hospital environment
 Managing Biweekly Payrolls, auditing, approving Totals, CRA Taxes. Compare previous Pay
 Analyzed, Implemented a more efficient workflow between domains that consisted of changing Job Schedules across Work Streams
 Managed the Developing of Reporting and Control for HRIS, delivering special reporting requests. Managed solutions for Non User friendly System
 Support CBA Negotiations, SME from a Benefits, Payroll and HRIS perspective
 Work in collaboration with Labour Relations, best practices supporting Employee Relations
 Severance Calculations audits, Support Labour Relations Consultant’s in Termination executions
 Year End successful Delivery, Monthly, Quarterly and Annual balances. Approving T4/T4A’s final filing
 Resolve critical Employee Issues. Apply best practices
 Third Party vendor successful Audit of Controls, and Testing of Compliance & Pay Accuracy
 Clear Vision of current changes and align to the future. Ensure no impacts
Developed Templates for various Union Groups, Non Union
 Employee Development, Pay for Performance, Career Development, Training webinars
 Legislation, Compliance and Communication Internally/Externally. Maintaining Intranet Communication, email groups to Hospital personal
 Prioritize assignments, deliverance of urgent processes
 Created Internal/External relationships, conducted Project/Presentation base meetings for multiple projects and ongoing Leadership/Team Meetings, with close attention to Detail and creativity
Pros
Calm and Rewarding atmosphere
Cons
Illnesses
Great environment to work in!
Database Coordinator (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto,OntarioMay 19, 2016
Passionate workplace. great work environment. Understanding and helpful management. Gong to work was both enjoyable and satisfying at the end of the day with a sense of accomplishment.
Bad working conditions leading to zero opportunity for advancement
Clinical Pharmacist Inpatient Pharmacy Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2016
Management does not see current employees as possible candidates for advancing there career even with further education completed such as a MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Productive and friendly work environment
Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
- Perform venipuncture
- Receive,sort, accession and label specimen
- Record patient details into LIS
- Perform urinalysis and centrifuging
- Conduct erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Pros
Friendly Staff
Great and Welcoming Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
great pay
good job security
pleasant environement
free lunches
friendly co-workers
good benefits to part time and full time workers
excellent health care, doctors are thorough in work
Pros
free lunches and nice people
Cons
Repetitive and Mindnumbing work for clericals
Great colleagues and teamwork environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2016
I've worked on an inpatient unit for the past 3 years. My days are busy and hectic at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues and feel that they help me get through busy days.
Pros
Strong teamwork
Cons
At times stressful caring for sick patients
always learning & growing in my career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
St. Michael's Hospital was an exciting place to work and it was an honour to have worked for such a large and well respected medical facility. It is experience that I will be proud of for the rest of my life. The everyday interaction with my colleagues & various medical staff was also a positive one. St. Michael's Hospital was always place that I could learn & grow in my career. The management was always supportive of our ideas & would regularly collaborate with the technicians in making the necessary changes in our everyday job demands.
Pros
good benefits, wages & opportunities.
Cons
at times we could've had more staff. It was quite a busy place at times.
It was a very inspiring environment to work in and with great staff
Student Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 20, 2015
It was a very welcoming and warm environment. I found staff very friendly and I was at the core of acute care. It was from this hospital that I gained the ability to understand several acute conditions and understand the prior required medications. I enjoyed my interactions with my patients the most from this place and definitely look forward to work here as an RN employee.
Best Volunteering Experience
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accounting and Finance DepartmentSeptember 26, 2015
This was one of my best work experiences because i got to see the hospital and go places in the hospital that normally the public is not allowed to go. The coordinators and volunteers were helpful and amazing. I would definitely go volunteer here again. My time there i gained skills that i never had like being a quick learner or being organized. The management was awesome and they help you with anything you need help in. The best part of the job was that i felt part of a team that helps people.
Great Workplace. There is always room for inprovement.
Medical Office Assistance, Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I did my placement at St. Michael's Hospital. The hospital was very clean and the staff were very nice and ready to teach me.
Placement for College Intern
Office Administration Assistant - Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2015
My college placement at this hospital was amazing. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. They are dedicated towards patients care as well as working together. The most enjoyable part of my experience is on my placement days I always looked forward to coming, never did I had a change of heart. If I had to do over my placement, this would always be my number one. I have learned many things while I was there, such as working together, multitasking, organizational skills, and daily clerical duties.
Pros
Interacting with staff memebers and patients daily
Cons
Not applicable
TNICU (Trauma-Neuro ICU) is poorly managed and dominated by cliquish nurses
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2015
I worked in the TNICU at St. Mike's in 2012. I was only able to work for about 7 months on the night shift before I had to leave. I was treated poorly as a new staff by a group of dominant night nurses. They were not very helpful when I asked for help, nor did they offer help freely. Some of their attitudes were brusque, and just plain rude. They also would talk negatively about other staff at the nursing station or in the staff room, and it led to an unhealthy and uncomfortable atmosphere sometimes. There was a high rate of attrition from the unit when I was there and I would say it was directly due to these nurses. They either liked you and took you under their wing (very few), or disliked you and ignored you, and/or spoke badly about you. Worst of all, management did nothing about their behavior when I finally complained. I worked for a while on the day shift schedule, and although I was treated much better by the staff, the work ethic was very lax and unprofessional as well. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with working at St. Michael's Hospital.
Pros
downtown, teaching hospital
Cons
poor management, prejudice nurses, cliquish nurses, intimidating nurses
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2015
It is a great hospital to work at. I have worked with the most knowledgable and competent colleagues. I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience working here.
Cons
difficult to balance family and work life
Productive and fun place to work.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 14, 2015
I loved going to work everyday. The people made it fun and interesting. I loved the interaction with patients, doctors and other hospital staff. I would go back there if the opportunity arose.
Pros
Free lunches once a month.
Fair
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Lots of learning opportunities, collaboration with other employees or staff. Learning to associate with diverse group of patients.
Pros
Good learning opportunity
Cons
Job security- Research (depends on available funding)
great place to learn and improve your skills
Clinical Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
I got experience in all the departments including core lab, outpatient phlebotomy, haematology, chemistry, histology and cytology, and microbiology. I enjoyed working here and got to learn many things from supportive and cooperative staff. I liked the work environment which was friendly yet adhering to rules and regulations.
Fun Place to work
Internship (Medical Laboratory Technician) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Excellent work environment and co-workers, This was my Internship as Medical Laboratory Technician from College. A typical day at work Starts at 8am till 4pm.
A very friendly and challenging place to be in.
Clinical Research Student (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Really enjoyed my internship at SMH. My typical day would begin by screening newly admitted patients in the TNICU and floor over the electronic system, then I would follow my co-ordinator to the ICU and do a second screening by looking at the written records. Then we would discuss the possibilities of being potential participants. Later, I would have various different tasks at hand like approaching a patient for study participation, follow-up in a clinic, telephone follow-up. I also attended didactic sessions and rounds. I would prioritize among the tasks and get them done on a prepared schedule of my own. My co-ordinator and coworkers were very supportive and helpful. They made my stay very comfortable.
I learned a lot from this work experience.
Clinical Assistant/Sitter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2014
I learned a lot from this work experience. Staff are helpful.

4.3