St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and multicultural place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2016
Typical day at work is to check all the temperatures, prepare QC's and disinfect benches.
I learned to multitask all the time and be sharp in listening the the environment. The management always have a huddle group every 9 am for 5 minutes to gather all the staffs and give updates if there are problems occur in each department. All the co-workers are friendly, nice and willing to help and to listen if someone has questions. The hardest part of the job is when a staff call sick, and that means double workloads to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone cheering each other and give a few seconds to joke around in the middle of work just to ease the workload tensions in order to boost the energy's atmosphere. It works like magic!
benefits
Cons
short hours
always learning & growing in my career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2016
St. Michael's Hospital was an exciting place to work and it was an honour to have worked for such a large and well respected medical facility. It is experience that I will be proud of for the rest of my life. The everyday interaction with my colleagues & various medical staff was also a positive one. St. Michael's Hospital was always place that I could learn & grow in my career. The management was always supportive of our ideas & would regularly collaborate with the technicians in making the necessary changes in our everyday job demands.
Pros
good benefits, wages & opportunities.
Cons
at times we could've had more staff. It was quite a busy place at times.
Great and Welcoming Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
great pay
good job security
pleasant environement
free lunches
friendly co-workers
good benefits to part time and full time workers
excellent health care, doctors are thorough in work
Pros
free lunches and nice people
Cons
Repetitive and Mindnumbing work for clericals
Bad working conditions leading to zero opportunity for advancement
Clinical Pharmacist Inpatient Pharmacy Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2016
Management does not see current employees as possible candidates for advancing there career even with further education completed such as a MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
busy environment
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
The best part of working at St Mike's is having the opportunity to help people when vulnerable (patients). St. Mike's mission statement proclaims a compassionate environment and I do my best to live by this value at all times.

I also enjoy a very busy and interactive work environment and a hospital setting is great for this.
good hospital to work for
Evidence Synthesis Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Work is interesting. People are great. Has lots of world-renowned scientists and clinicians. Pay is dependent on grants so depends if the department has a lot of funding.
Pros
Great for learning
Cons
inner city hospital
Great environment to work in!
Database Coordinator (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto,Ontario19 May 2016
Passionate workplace. great work environment. Understanding and helpful management. Gong to work was both enjoyable and satisfying at the end of the day with a sense of accomplishment.
Productive and friendly work environment
Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2016
- Perform venipuncture
- Receive,sort, accession and label specimen
- Record patient details into LIS
- Perform urinalysis and centrifuging
- Conduct erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Pros
Friendly Staff
Great colleagues and teamwork environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2016
I've worked on an inpatient unit for the past 3 years. My days are busy and hectic at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues and feel that they help me get through busy days.
Pros
Strong teamwork
Cons
At times stressful caring for sick patients
Best Volunteering Experience
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accounting and Finance Department26 September 2015
This was one of my best work experiences because i got to see the hospital and go places in the hospital that normally the public is not allowed to go. The coordinators and volunteers were helpful and amazing. I would definitely go volunteer here again. My time there i gained skills that i never had like being a quick learner or being organized. The management was awesome and they help you with anything you need help in. The best part of the job was that i felt part of a team that helps people.
It was a very inspiring environment to work in and with great staff
Student Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2015
It was a very welcoming and warm environment. I found staff very friendly and I was at the core of acute care. It was from this hospital that I gained the ability to understand several acute conditions and understand the prior required medications. I enjoyed my interactions with my patients the most from this place and definitely look forward to work here as an RN employee.
TNICU (Trauma-Neuro ICU) is poorly managed and dominated by cliquish nurses
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2015
I worked in the TNICU at St. Mike's in 2012. I was only able to work for about 7 months on the night shift before I had to leave. I was treated poorly as a new staff by a group of dominant night nurses. They were not very helpful when I asked for help, nor did they offer help freely. Some of their attitudes were brusque, and just plain rude. They also would talk negatively about other staff at the nursing station or in the staff room, and it led to an unhealthy and uncomfortable atmosphere sometimes. There was a high rate of attrition from the unit when I was there and I would say it was directly due to these nurses. They either liked you and took you under their wing (very few), or disliked you and ignored you, and/or spoke badly about you. Worst of all, management did nothing about their behavior when I finally complained. I worked for a while on the day shift schedule, and although I was treated much better by the staff, the work ethic was very lax and unprofessional as well. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with working at St. Michael's Hospital.
Pros
downtown, teaching hospital
Cons
poor management, prejudice nurses, cliquish nurses, intimidating nurses
Placement for College Intern
Office Administration Assistant - Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2015
My college placement at this hospital was amazing. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. They are dedicated towards patients care as well as working together. The most enjoyable part of my experience is on my placement days I always looked forward to coming, never did I had a change of heart. If I had to do over my placement, this would always be my number one. I have learned many things while I was there, such as working together, multitasking, organizational skills, and daily clerical duties.
Pros
Interacting with staff memebers and patients daily
Cons
Not applicable
Helping people helping people
Clinical Application Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2014
Provided specialized consultative and technical expertise with respect to installing, tuning, upgrading, and maintaining information systems. Liaise and communicate with vendors, end-users and management.Provided onĀ­ going day-to-day user support for existing HIS software applications. Participate in and attend staff and professional meetings.
Learned to organised tasks, projects, and meeting through time management.
Management is understaffed and over worked.
Worked with mature and skilled co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is to organise the between daily tasks, projects, operational application issues and staff meetings.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to resolve system issues that help the end-user to complete their task at hand.
Pros
The ability to help others resolve system issues/problems
Cons
Too many staff meetings.
I loved working in a hospital environment with compassionate people.
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 August 2013
A typical day at work would be to retrieve the daily charts from emergency department, code and enter them for submission to MOHLTC. I learned billing, because I was trained on the job. Management was great and I really enjoyed a team oriented workplace with managers and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was possibly the month end reconciliations, but I became accustomed to that. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I got from helping patients, for instance filling out Physician's First Reports and helping them at a time they most needed help, when injured.
Pros
Christmas bonus's
Cons
Sometimes solitary work enviroment
I had fun working at St. Michael's although it's just a 1 yr. contract
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2013
I had a routine kind of work at St. Michael's hospital. Collecting and processing all OR postcases is hard work but a learning tool to enhance your knowledge in medical terms. I have no problem or issues with the management and likewise with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when reconciliation of the report needs to be done and some important information were unable to provide. I enjoyed my job because i was able to learn or know certain operating procedure done in each cases that i processed. I was able to ponder my knowledge on how a certain illness be able to resolve through surgery.
Pros
transportation allowance
Cons
extra hours spent not paid
Productive and Friendly Environment
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2014
During a regular day I would be expected to be at the clinic at 10am. I would go to my desk and begin looking at my calendar for the day. If we had scheduled patients coming in, I would go to the kitchen and prepare their breakfast. I would greed them once they arrive and take some physical examinations as well as blood and ECG tests. Then they would eat the breakfast I provided them and hang around for a couple of hours so we could repeat the examinations every 1/2 hr.
Once the patients would leave I would head back to my desk and work at the computer for the remainder of the day. Either working on upcoming research proposals or preparing spreadsheets for the next scheduled patients.

This experience allowed me to apply what I learned in a classroom setting to a more applied situation. As well to interact with patients of diabetes type II on a personal basis and learn about their lives in coping with this disease. As a result, this experience became more than a research project for me. It became a personal goal to want to help those patients and try my best to take the most accurate measurements and to be as precise as possible such that the project would truly reflect the actual benefits of Salba and Korean White Gingseng.

Furthermore, working with such a great team allowed me to take lessons from different roles. Some days I would work as a leader, taking charge of the tasks ahead. While other days, I would work under the project manager, doing what she saw to be best. At this facility we had many volunteers that would only be there for a couple of days. This allowed
  more... me to learn to work with co-workers that I knew nothing about and cope with each of their personalities in a professional setting.

The hardest part about this job was during the recruitment stage. I had the role of calling previous patients and see if they were fit for an upcoming project via an inclusion/exclusion survey. It would be difficult to hear someone in need of something potentially helpful that we were offering but not be able to include them in the project due to health complications or age exclusion criterion.

the most enjoyable part of my job at St. Michael's Hospital was at the end of the conducted studies when the results were obtained and ready to present to the staff. We would gather around the project manager's desk while she opened the file that we had been working on. Looking at the presented results that created a smile on everybody's face. This had such a large impact on me not because we had proven that the tested product has proven beneficial. But because this was a representation of the hard work of our laboratory as a team. It was a reminder that we had in the last several months we had helped the patients who had been consuming this product. And if was a reminder that one day in the future we can help more patients receive the benefits that we were all starring at.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2015
It is a great hospital to work at. I have worked with the most knowledgable and competent colleagues. I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience working here.
Cons
difficult to balance family and work life
Toxic work environment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2014
The worst work experience I have ever had. Dishonest, evil management in Medical Imaging Department, toxic environment, where people are harassed and emotionally abused by management without any liability. Work culture: Mobbing, bullying of targeted employees by management is encouraged by Human Resources. Hard work, experience, knowledge are not valued. There is no room for decency and integrity in this department.
A very friendly and challenging place to be in.
Clinical Research Student (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2015
Really enjoyed my internship at SMH. My typical day would begin by screening newly admitted patients in the TNICU and floor over the electronic system, then I would follow my co-ordinator to the ICU and do a second screening by looking at the written records. Then we would discuss the possibilities of being potential participants. Later, I would have various different tasks at hand like approaching a patient for study participation, follow-up in a clinic, telephone follow-up. I also attended didactic sessions and rounds. I would prioritize among the tasks and get them done on a prepared schedule of my own. My co-ordinator and coworkers were very supportive and helpful. They made my stay very comfortable.

4.3