St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

strong belief in mission statement and core values
Patient Transport Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2017
During my tenure at St. Michael's Hospital, I was afforded the opportunity to help those in need every day. I performed tasks as an integral member of the patient care team.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
supportive staff
Certified care assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 April 2017
night shift care giving duty was not exciting but very steady work, and there was much job security as not many wanted to do night shifts. Staff had to be on the ball in case of unexpected turn of events.
Pros
nights were more relaxed than daytimes
Cons
night shifts are hard on the body.
Great place to start
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2017
Everybody on the team is willing to provide guidance and help. The opportunity I got was a casual position so the hours were not stable. Otherwise it was great.
Excellent place to practice skills and learn too
Clinical Research Volunteer (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2017
I was very happy to do place placement at St Michael's Hospital, it was an excellent place to practice my learnings in the practical field. Supervisors are very cordial. Job cultures are very rich.
Pros
Most reputed place for Clinical Research Related Work
Cons
Sometimes had to work long hours but which is normal for research related work
Friendly Staff
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Awesome group of nurses. Best place to be a student nurse. Nurses are encouraging, accommodating & friendly. Helpful staff. Good learning environment.
If you are thinking about st mikes run away far and fast
General Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
Don't work here the environment is toxic there is no sense of team if you are looking for a challenging fulfilling career with room for advancement this is not the place
Fast paced teaching hospital
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
St. Michael's Hospital is a great place to work. Team work, communication and multitasking is important to get through the day. The staff in my department are easy to work with and are very knowledgeable. Management do their best to continuously support our work and our needs.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Intense workload
good hospital to work for
Evidence Synthesis Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Work is interesting. People are great. Has lots of world-renowned scientists and clinicians. Pay is dependent on grants so depends if the department has a lot of funding.
Pros
Great for learning
Cons
inner city hospital
busy environment
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
The best part of working at St Mike's is having the opportunity to help people when vulnerable (patients). St. Mike's mission statement proclaims a compassionate environment and I do my best to live by this value at all times.

I also enjoy a very busy and interactive work environment and a hospital setting is great for this.
Productive and multicultural place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2016
Typical day at work is to check all the temperatures, prepare QC's and disinfect benches.
I learned to multitask all the time and be sharp in listening the the environment. The management always have a huddle group every 9 am for 5 minutes to gather all the staffs and give updates if there are problems occur in each department. All the co-workers are friendly, nice and willing to help and to listen if someone has questions. The hardest part of the job is when a staff call sick, and that means double workloads to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone cheering each other and give a few seconds to joke around in the middle of work just to ease the workload tensions in order to boost the energy's atmosphere. It works like magic!
benefits
Cons
short hours
Great environment to work in!
Database Coordinator (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto,Ontario19 May 2016
Passionate workplace. great work environment. Understanding and helpful management. Gong to work was both enjoyable and satisfying at the end of the day with a sense of accomplishment.
Bad working conditions leading to zero opportunity for advancement
Clinical Pharmacist Inpatient Pharmacy Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2016
Management does not see current employees as possible candidates for advancing there career even with further education completed such as a MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Productive and friendly work environment
Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2016
- Perform venipuncture
- Receive,sort, accession and label specimen
- Record patient details into LIS
- Perform urinalysis and centrifuging
- Conduct erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Pros
Friendly Staff
Great and Welcoming Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
great pay
good job security
pleasant environement
free lunches
friendly co-workers
good benefits to part time and full time workers
excellent health care, doctors are thorough in work
Pros
free lunches and nice people
Cons
Repetitive and Mindnumbing work for clericals
Great colleagues and teamwork environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2016
I've worked on an inpatient unit for the past 3 years. My days are busy and hectic at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues and feel that they help me get through busy days.
Pros
Strong teamwork
Cons
At times stressful caring for sick patients
always learning & growing in my career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2016
St. Michael's Hospital was an exciting place to work and it was an honour to have worked for such a large and well respected medical facility. It is experience that I will be proud of for the rest of my life. The everyday interaction with my colleagues & various medical staff was also a positive one. St. Michael's Hospital was always place that I could learn & grow in my career. The management was always supportive of our ideas & would regularly collaborate with the technicians in making the necessary changes in our everyday job demands.
Pros
good benefits, wages & opportunities.
Cons
at times we could've had more staff. It was quite a busy place at times.
It was a very inspiring environment to work in and with great staff
Student Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2015
It was a very welcoming and warm environment. I found staff very friendly and I was at the core of acute care. It was from this hospital that I gained the ability to understand several acute conditions and understand the prior required medications. I enjoyed my interactions with my patients the most from this place and definitely look forward to work here as an RN employee.
Best Volunteering Experience
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accounting and Finance Department26 September 2015
This was one of my best work experiences because i got to see the hospital and go places in the hospital that normally the public is not allowed to go. The coordinators and volunteers were helpful and amazing. I would definitely go volunteer here again. My time there i gained skills that i never had like being a quick learner or being organized. The management was awesome and they help you with anything you need help in. The best part of the job was that i felt part of a team that helps people.
Great Workplace. There is always room for inprovement.
Medical Office Assistance, Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2015
I did my placement at St. Michael's Hospital. The hospital was very clean and the staff were very nice and ready to teach me.
Placement for College Intern
Office Administration Assistant - Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2015
My college placement at this hospital was amazing. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. They are dedicated towards patients care as well as working together. The most enjoyable part of my experience is on my placement days I always looked forward to coming, never did I had a change of heart. If I had to do over my placement, this would always be my number one. I have learned many things while I was there, such as working together, multitasking, organizational skills, and daily clerical duties.
Pros
Interacting with staff memebers and patients daily
Cons
Not applicable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Michael's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3