St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

Trauma Hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2018
Very busy environment being a downtown level 1 trauma hospital. Lots of learning experiences and many opportunities for professional growth. Close to subway and bus systems.
Productive and fun environment
OTA/PTA Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
Great learning experience with very helpful and supportive staff. learned and refined skills in working in the Occupational therapist assistant and physiotherapist assistant field.
Pros
Supportive staff
Nice Staff, Good Experience
Biomedical and Chemical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2018
Everyone there was very welcoming, and helped me learn the ropes during my first couple of weeks there. Instructions were easy to follow, and supervisors easy to communicate with. I learned a lot about working in a lab.
Learning and teaching Hospital
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario27 December 2017
I was able to learn most of my EVS experiences there. It is one of the busiest hospitals in all of North America and the busiest in Canada.
It is a downtown Toronto Trauma Center where there is an operating type room in the ER department. There is a Heli pad as well as Trauma room that can handle two patients at once. It has an I.C.U. for new born babies and is one of the leading hospitals in the country.
Pros
Never a dull moment will help you learn
Cons
Never a dull moment you never know what you will encounter
Great workplace
Registered Dietitian ,CDE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
Great team work, management is supportive, good benefits and perks. The workplace environment is very motivating. I look forward to coming into work daily.
compassionate and caring workplace
General Internal Medicine (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
- Typically it's a busy day at work, but with the help of team members and support of staff, the days go by smoothly
- St. Michael's truly follows and stands by its values of compassion, human dignity, excellence, community of service, social responsibility, and pride of achievement
- management works hard to keep a well organized environment
A wonderful team
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2017
A great team of inspiring doctors who take the time to carefully evaluate their clients and offer excellent treatment. I learned a great deal working here, and staff was very friendly and eager to teach newcomers.
Supportive management, engaging and full of opportunities
Occupational Therapist - Hand Program (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2017
Typical public hospital culture, works to improve employees work life balance but difficult to hold down a full time job here with little kids because of the demands of the caseload.
Very traditional environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Recently this Hospital is undergo many changes. Construction, integration, review by Consulting company etc.

In general, no team building and not really fun please to be.
Pros
Downtown location
Cons
No flexibility of any kind
Great place to work.. Right downtown close to all amenities and both transit systems GO and TTC
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2017
Great place to work and great benefits.
Excellent teaching hospital.
Staff amazing with patients.
Always someone available to lend a helping hand.
The work environment is professional.
Pros
Company events and Corporate discounts
Cons
Wish there was more opportunities for career development.
Well compensated staff and very good teaching hospital
Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2017
A very good teaching hospital that creates learning opportunities for staff. A unionized hospital with excellent benefit package. More flexible with schedule.
Awesome people
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2017
Learned so much at this job - Intranet, Payroll, Scheduling Meetings - how to work as a team - where to go for support - always someone available to lend a helping hand
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Commute
Awesome place to work.
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2017
I love everything about working at St. Michael's. The heart of this hospital are the teams of caring individuals. The work environment is professional, and in a sense peaceful.
Lots of friends
Medical Clinical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2017
Really hard shifts. Night work that lasted till the afternoon.
Stressful.

Was day trading after work. Made some good money on the stock market.

Lots to see.

Best Hospital to get Hands on experience.

Lots of rounds.

Free food from drug reps during mid day rounds.
Pros
Lots of quitude
Cons
36 hour call and lits of getting bossed around.
Productive work environment with laid back setting
Architectural Coordinator, Co-op (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 June 2017
time management and prioritizing conflicting work schedules to ensure public dollars are utilized in optimal matter and honour hospital construction and goals timleines
Good Place To Work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2017
It is a good place to work... I will break down the star ratings to give you a proper review... how can you have an over all 5 star but no 5 star ratings below...

Overall 5 Star
This is a good place to work and there is a huge potential for this organisation to be better.

Job Work/Life Balance 3 Star
In my department there is a lot of overtime, but to get paid better you have to work it. I am at work more then I am at home, this being said it is not forced on you

Salary/Benefits 4 Star
Salary compared to others in the field is really good, however other companies and organizations in the same field cannot compare in the responsibility or day to day duties that you preform, not to mention the mental and physical stress that you must endure on a daily basis

The benefits are pretty good but for a health care organization, the amount of work and stress you have to deal with the benefits should be more.

Job Security/Advancement 3 Star
Job Security is great, you wont lose your job unless you mess up real bad.
Advancement, Good luck, I work in a small department so there really is no place to go

Management 4 Star

My department manager is awesome, portfolio direct great, upper management really go up to now. however there can be other managers that are really poor.
Pros
My department is either straight days or nights
Cons
Long hours, very stressful mostly because of clientele and sometimes coworkers, very expensive to park in the area
Friendly and productive work place
Research Assistant (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
I'm really satisfied with my work place. I learn a lot's of things about clinical trials such as writing a research protocol, submitting it at IRB, recruiting patients, data collecting and so on.
strong belief in mission statement and core values
Patient Transport Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2017
During my tenure at St. Michael's Hospital, I was afforded the opportunity to help those in need every day. I performed tasks as an integral member of the patient care team.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Nice place to work
unit service worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2017
This place is a good place to work as long as you keep out of all the mix of politics. It is really hard to get a job here as there are always so many people applying but you just have to keep trying and trying.
supportive staff
Certified care assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 April 2017
night shift care giving duty was not exciting but very steady work, and there was much job security as not many wanted to do night shifts. Staff had to be on the ball in case of unexpected turn of events.
Pros
nights were more relaxed than daytimes
Cons
night shifts are hard on the body.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Michael's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2