St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great place to learn and improve your skills
Clinical Placement Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
I got experience in all the departments including core lab, outpatient phlebotomy, haematology, chemistry, histology and cytology, and microbiology. I enjoyed working here and got to learn many things from supportive and cooperative staff. I liked the work environment which was friendly yet adhering to rules and regulations.
Fun Place to work
Internship (Medical Laboratory Technician) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Excellent work environment and co-workers, This was my Internship as Medical Laboratory Technician from College. A typical day at work Starts at 8am till 4pm.
A very friendly and challenging place to be in.
Clinical Research Student (Internship) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Really enjoyed my internship at SMH. My typical day would begin by screening newly admitted patients in the TNICU and floor over the electronic system, then I would follow my co-ordinator to the ICU and do a second screening by looking at the written records. Then we would discuss the possibilities of being potential participants. Later, I would have various different tasks at hand like approaching a patient for study participation, follow-up in a clinic, telephone follow-up. I also attended didactic sessions and rounds. I would prioritize among the tasks and get them done on a prepared schedule of my own. My co-ordinator and coworkers were very supportive and helpful. They made my stay very comfortable.
I learned a lot from this work experience.
Clinical Assistant/Sitter (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2014
I learned a lot from this work experience. Staff are helpful.
St. Mikes is a reputable organization which values respect and innovation.
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2014
My typical day involves consenting patients for research participation and upon obtaining consent, I schedule appointments for study procedures for consented patients. I abstract study related data of consented patients from the hospital database. I regularly update enrolment and consented patients' logs so as to have a sense of the real-time status of each of the study patients.

The opportunity to coordinate study procedures have greatly improved my organizational skills. My collaboration with other research personnel and other hospital staff has further refined my interpersonal relations. Furthermore, the privilege of consenting study patients have help to shore up my emotional intelligence.
A place where I woke up and excited to go to work and a company that has integrity that treats patient well.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), 30 Bond Street Toronto CanadaOctober 6, 2014
Pros: always on time and complete task given on time
Cons: i always see it as area of improvement
Went to work on time, great attitude, I have gained valuable people skill by working with employers and customer of different ages and backgrounds and was recognized for my hard work and punctuality.
Productive and fun place to work
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2014
Completed checklist of received products to distribute to various departments. Assisted in different departments when needed
Amazing people to work with.
Staff Hemodialysis Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2014
One of the best Hospitals in Ontario. Excellent Cient/family services, very professional, great work environment!
Productive and Friendly Environment
Research assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
During a regular day I would be expected to be at the clinic at 10am. I would go to my desk and begin looking at my calendar for the day. If we had scheduled patients coming in, I would go to the kitchen and prepare their breakfast. I would greed them once they arrive and take some physical examinations as well as blood and ECG tests. Then they would eat the breakfast I provided them and hang around for a couple of hours so we could repeat the examinations every 1/2 hr.
Once the patients would leave I would head back to my desk and work at the computer for the remainder of the day. Either working on upcoming research proposals or preparing spreadsheets for the next scheduled patients.

This experience allowed me to apply what I learned in a classroom setting to a more applied situation. As well to interact with patients of diabetes type II on a personal basis and learn about their lives in coping with this disease. As a result, this experience became more than a research project for me. It became a personal goal to want to help those patients and try my best to take the most accurate measurements and to be as precise as possible such that the project would truly reflect the actual benefits of Salba and Korean White Gingseng.

Furthermore, working with such a great team allowed me to take lessons from different roles. Some days I would work as a leader, taking charge of the tasks ahead. While other days, I would work under the project manager, doing what she saw to be best. At this facility we had many volunteers that would only be there for a couple of days. This allowed me – more... to learn to work with co-workers that I knew nothing about and cope with each of their personalities in a professional setting.

The hardest part about this job was during the recruitment stage. I had the role of calling previous patients and see if they were fit for an upcoming project via an inclusion/exclusion survey. It would be difficult to hear someone in need of something potentially helpful that we were offering but not be able to include them in the project due to health complications or age exclusion criterion.

the most enjoyable part of my job at St. Michael's Hospital was at the end of the conducted studies when the results were obtained and ready to present to the staff. We would gather around the project manager's desk while she opened the file that we had been working on. Looking at the presented results that created a smile on everybody's face. This had such a large impact on me not because we had proven that the tested product has proven beneficial. But because this was a representation of the hard work of our laboratory as a team. It was a reminder that we had in the last several months we had helped the patients who had been consuming this product. And if was a reminder that one day in the future we can help more patients receive the benefits that we were all starring at. – less
Toxic work environment
Former employee (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 17, 2014
The worst work experience I have ever had. Dishonest, evil management in Medical Imaging Department, toxic environment, where people are harassed and emotionally abused by management without any liability. Work culture: Mobbing, bullying of targeted employees by management is encouraged by Human Resources. Hard work, experience, knowledge are not valued. There is no room for decency and integrity in this department.
Fun place to work
Business Development Consultant, Intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2014
Worked as a consultant on a short-term project. A great place to work - was challenged and motivated
Productive work environment with caring staff & co-workers
Customer Support Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 19, 2014
Pros: being able to help others
Cons: not working directly for st. michael's
A typical day at work is spent at my desk in a shared office space. Where I'm logged into my Patient Transport, Environmental services & Engineering queue. I wait to receive calls from Nurses, Doctors, Supervisors, Managers & Staff members regarding Patient Transport inquires, Engineering requests & Environmental services concerns. I operate a multi-function screen as well as three other phone lines. I data entry and log patient information via the HRC System and dispatch it out to staff members who in return get the assignment completed.

I coordinator pick ups and drop off for various other hospital products and monitor the length of time it takes an employee to get from one destination to the next. I monitor the distance and walk time to alleviate unnecessary waste of trips.

I also take on the roll of Team Leading / Supervising when Managers & Directors are away or busy in meetings. I facilitate a group of staffs overseeing and making sure they remain work focused.

Over the years I've learned : Self- reliance- I'm capable of working independently. I'm very good at prioritizing my work load to make sure that the most important task is completed first. With years of experience I've become an excellent organizer. In my daily duties I have to re-arrange commitments and daily tasks flow to make sure everyone is satisfied and happy in the end. My people skills have excelled also. I demonstrate great interpersonal skills by communicating daily with diverse groups of people. I'm very good in maintaining a calm composer when working in a busy department and under stress. I'm flexible, punctual and a very dedicated worker.
Very good research community
Research Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2014
A lot of like-minded people, lots of research projects going on, excellent job experience
Helping people helping people
Clinical Application Support Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: the ability to help others resolve system issues/problems
Cons: too many staff meetings.
Provided specialized consultative and technical expertise with respect to installing, tuning, upgrading, and maintaining information systems. Liaise and communicate with vendors, end-users and management.Provided onĀ­ going day-to-day user support for existing HIS software applications. Participate in and attend staff and professional meetings.
Learned to organised tasks, projects, and meeting through time management.
Management is understaffed and over worked.
Worked with mature and skilled co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is to organise the between daily tasks, projects, operational application issues and staff meetings.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to resolve system issues that help the end-user to complete their task at hand.
lunches with co-workers just to relax
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee), 80 bond, Health Center at 80 BondSeptember 17, 2013
Typical days are very busy, everyday is a learning experience. management is there when you need them. Co-workers are great very helpful. They hardest part of the job is trying to reach patients on a timely mammer. Enjoy helping patients and seeing them smile and how appreciated they are when you help them.
Excellent place to work, had an amazing experience being a student here
Consolidation Nursing Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2013
St. Micheal's Hospital is an excellent place to work and have a student placement. I enjoyed my time there and would definitely love to work there again. I have learned so much important information regarding the ins and outs of nursing. The staff there is excellent. All of the nurses on the unit I was placed on were exceptionally friendly and supportive of new learning. The work environment was always positive. I loved going to work there as a student every shift.
I loved working in a hospital environment with compassionate people.
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
Pros: christmas bonus's
Cons: sometimes solitary work enviroment
A typical day at work would be to retrieve the daily charts from emergency department, code and enter them for submission to MOHLTC. I learned billing, because I was trained on the job. Management was great and I really enjoyed a team oriented workplace with managers and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was possibly the month end reconciliations, but I became accustomed to that. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I got from helping patients, for instance filling out Physician's First Reports and helping them at a time they most needed help, when injured.
Great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 13, 2013
Pros: 12 hour shifts
Cons: 12 hour shifts
Busy medical unit provided excellent learning opportunities.
Never had a chance to be bored at work.
Co-workers very supportive.
productive unit.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2013
Pros: evidence based practice
Cons: job insecurity
Patient care followed evidence based practice, had value for professionalism.
I had fun working at St. Michael's although it's just a 1 yr. contract
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2013
Pros: transportation allowance
Cons: extra hours spent not paid
I had a routine kind of work at St. Michael's hospital. Collecting and processing all OR postcases is hard work but a learning tool to enhance your knowledge in medical terms. I have no problem or issues with the management and likewise with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when reconciliation of the report needs to be done and some important information were unable to provide. I enjoyed my job because i was able to learn or know certain operating procedure done in each cases that i processed. I was able to ponder my knowledge on how a certain illness be able to resolve through surgery.

About St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael’s Hospital is a Catholic teaching and research hospital founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1892 to care – Read more