St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

Supportive management, engaging and full of opportunities
Occupational Therapist - Hand Program (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2017
Typical public hospital culture, works to improve employees work life balance but difficult to hold down a full time job here with little kids because of the demands of the caseload.
Very traditional environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Recently this Hospital is undergo many changes. Construction, integration, review by Consulting company etc.

In general, no team building and not really fun please to be.
Pros
Downtown location
Cons
No flexibility of any kind
Great place to work.. Right downtown close to all amenities and both transit systems GO and TTC
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2017
Great place to work and great benefits.
Excellent teaching hospital.
Staff amazing with patients.
Always someone available to lend a helping hand.
The work environment is professional.
Pros
Company events and Corporate discounts
Cons
Wish there was more opportunities for career development.
Well compensated staff and very good teaching hospital
Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2017
A very good teaching hospital that creates learning opportunities for staff. A unionized hospital with excellent benefit package. More flexible with schedule.
Awesome people
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2017
Learned so much at this job - Intranet, Payroll, Scheduling Meetings - how to work as a team - where to go for support - always someone available to lend a helping hand
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Commute
Awesome place to work.
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2017
I love everything about working at St. Michael's. The heart of this hospital are the teams of caring individuals. The work environment is professional, and in a sense peaceful.
Lots of friends
Medical Clinical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2017
Really hard shifts. Night work that lasted till the afternoon.
Stressful.

Was day trading after work. Made some good money on the stock market.

Lots to see.

Best Hospital to get Hands on experience.

Lots of rounds.

Free food from drug reps during mid day rounds.
Pros
Lots of quitude
Cons
36 hour call and lits of getting bossed around.
Productive work environment with laid back setting
Architectural Coordinator, Co-op (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 June 2017
time management and prioritizing conflicting work schedules to ensure public dollars are utilized in optimal matter and honour hospital construction and goals timleines
Good Place To Work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2017
It is a good place to work... I will break down the star ratings to give you a proper review... how can you have an over all 5 star but no 5 star ratings below...

Overall 5 Star
This is a good place to work and there is a huge potential for this organisation to be better.

Job Work/Life Balance 3 Star
In my department there is a lot of overtime, but to get paid better you have to work it. I am at work more then I am at home, this being said it is not forced on you

Salary/Benefits 4 Star
Salary compared to others in the field is really good, however other companies and organizations in the same field cannot compare in the responsibility or day to day duties that you preform, not to mention the mental and physical stress that you must endure on a daily basis

The benefits are pretty good but for a health care organization, the amount of work and stress you have to deal with the benefits should be more.

Job Security/Advancement 3 Star
Job Security is great, you wont lose your job unless you mess up real bad.
Advancement, Good luck, I work in a small department so there really is no place to go

Management 4 Star

My department manager is awesome, portfolio direct great, upper management really go up to now. however there can be other managers that are really poor.
Pros
My department is either straight days or nights
Cons
Long hours, very stressful mostly because of clientele and sometimes coworkers, very expensive to park in the area
Friendly and productive work place
Research Assistant (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
I'm really satisfied with my work place. I learn a lot's of things about clinical trials such as writing a research protocol, submitting it at IRB, recruiting patients, data collecting and so on.
strong belief in mission statement and core values
Patient Transport Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2017
During my tenure at St. Michael's Hospital, I was afforded the opportunity to help those in need every day. I performed tasks as an integral member of the patient care team.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
supportive staff
Certified care assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 April 2017
night shift care giving duty was not exciting but very steady work, and there was much job security as not many wanted to do night shifts. Staff had to be on the ball in case of unexpected turn of events.
Pros
nights were more relaxed than daytimes
Cons
night shifts are hard on the body.
Great place to start
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2017
Everybody on the team is willing to provide guidance and help. The opportunity I got was a casual position so the hours were not stable. Otherwise it was great.
Excellent place to practice skills and learn too
Clinical Research Volunteer (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2017
I was very happy to do place placement at St Michael's Hospital, it was an excellent place to practice my learnings in the practical field. Supervisors are very cordial. Job cultures are very rich.
Pros
Most reputed place for Clinical Research Related Work
Cons
Sometimes had to work long hours but which is normal for research related work
Friendly Staff
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Awesome group of nurses. Best place to be a student nurse. Nurses are encouraging, accommodating & friendly. Helpful staff. Good learning environment.
If you are thinking about st mikes run away far and fast
General Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
Don't work here the environment is toxic there is no sense of team if you are looking for a challenging fulfilling career with room for advancement this is not the place
Fast paced teaching hospital
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
St. Michael's Hospital is a great place to work. Team work, communication and multitasking is important to get through the day. The staff in my department are easy to work with and are very knowledgeable. Management do their best to continuously support our work and our needs.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Intense workload
good hospital to work for
Evidence Synthesis Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Work is interesting. People are great. Has lots of world-renowned scientists and clinicians. Pay is dependent on grants so depends if the department has a lot of funding.
Pros
Great for learning
Cons
inner city hospital
busy environment
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
The best part of working at St Mike's is having the opportunity to help people when vulnerable (patients). St. Mike's mission statement proclaims a compassionate environment and I do my best to live by this value at all times.

I also enjoy a very busy and interactive work environment and a hospital setting is great for this.
Productive and multicultural place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2016
Typical day at work is to check all the temperatures, prepare QC's and disinfect benches.
I learned to multitask all the time and be sharp in listening the the environment. The management always have a huddle group every 9 am for 5 minutes to gather all the staffs and give updates if there are problems occur in each department. All the co-workers are friendly, nice and willing to help and to listen if someone has questions. The hardest part of the job is when a staff call sick, and that means double workloads to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone cheering each other and give a few seconds to joke around in the middle of work just to ease the workload tensions in order to boost the energy's atmosphere. It works like magic!
benefits
Cons
short hours