St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

always learning & growing in my career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
St. Michael's Hospital was an exciting place to work and it was an honour to have worked for such a large and well respected medical facility. It is experience that I will be proud of for the rest of my life. The everyday interaction with my colleagues & various medical staff was also a positive one. St. Michael's Hospital was always place that I could learn & grow in my career. The management was always supportive of our ideas & would regularly collaborate with the technicians in making the necessary changes in our everyday job demands.
Pros
good benefits, wages & opportunities.
Cons
at times we could've had more staff. It was quite a busy place at times.
Great and Welcoming Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
great pay
good job security
pleasant environement
free lunches
friendly co-workers
good benefits to part time and full time workers
excellent health care, doctors are thorough in work
Pros
free lunches and nice people
Cons
Repetitive and Mindnumbing work for clericals
Bad working conditions leading to zero opportunity for advancement
Clinical Pharmacist Inpatient Pharmacy Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2016
Management does not see current employees as possible candidates for advancing there career even with further education completed such as a MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Great environment to work in!
Database Coordinator (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto,OntarioMay 19, 2016
Passionate workplace. great work environment. Understanding and helpful management. Gong to work was both enjoyable and satisfying at the end of the day with a sense of accomplishment.
Productive and friendly work environment
Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
- Perform venipuncture
- Receive,sort, accession and label specimen
- Record patient details into LIS
- Perform urinalysis and centrifuging
- Conduct erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Pros
Friendly Staff
Great colleagues and teamwork environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2016
I've worked on an inpatient unit for the past 3 years. My days are busy and hectic at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues and feel that they help me get through busy days.
Pros
Strong teamwork
Cons
At times stressful caring for sick patients
Best Volunteering Experience
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accounting and Finance DepartmentSeptember 26, 2015
This was one of my best work experiences because i got to see the hospital and go places in the hospital that normally the public is not allowed to go. The coordinators and volunteers were helpful and amazing. I would definitely go volunteer here again. My time there i gained skills that i never had like being a quick learner or being organized. The management was awesome and they help you with anything you need help in. The best part of the job was that i felt part of a team that helps people.
It was a very inspiring environment to work in and with great staff
Student Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 20, 2015
It was a very welcoming and warm environment. I found staff very friendly and I was at the core of acute care. It was from this hospital that I gained the ability to understand several acute conditions and understand the prior required medications. I enjoyed my interactions with my patients the most from this place and definitely look forward to work here as an RN employee.
Placement for College Intern
Office Administration Assistant - Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2015
My college placement at this hospital was amazing. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. They are dedicated towards patients care as well as working together. The most enjoyable part of my experience is on my placement days I always looked forward to coming, never did I had a change of heart. If I had to do over my placement, this would always be my number one. I have learned many things while I was there, such as working together, multitasking, organizational skills, and daily clerical duties.
Pros
Interacting with staff memebers and patients daily
Cons
Not applicable
TNICU (Trauma-Neuro ICU) is poorly managed and dominated by cliquish nurses
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2015
I worked in the TNICU at St. Mike's in 2012. I was only able to work for about 7 months on the night shift before I had to leave. I was treated poorly as a new staff by a group of dominant night nurses. They were not very helpful when I asked for help, nor did they offer help freely. Some of their attitudes were brusque, and just plain rude. They also would talk negatively about other staff at the nursing station or in the staff room, and it led to an unhealthy and uncomfortable atmosphere sometimes. There was a high rate of attrition from the unit when I was there and I would say it was directly due to these nurses. They either liked you and took you under their wing (very few), or disliked you and ignored you, and/or spoke badly about you. Worst of all, management did nothing about their behavior when I finally complained. I worked for a while on the day shift schedule, and although I was treated much better by the staff, the work ethic was very lax and unprofessional as well. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with working at St. Michael's Hospital.
Pros
downtown, teaching hospital
Cons
poor management, prejudice nurses, cliquish nurses, intimidating nurses
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2015
It is a great hospital to work at. I have worked with the most knowledgable and competent colleagues. I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience working here.
Cons
difficult to balance family and work life
Great Workplace. There is always room for inprovement.
Medical Office Assistance, Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I did my placement at St. Michael's Hospital. The hospital was very clean and the staff were very nice and ready to teach me.
A very friendly and challenging place to be in.
Clinical Research Student (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Really enjoyed my internship at SMH. My typical day would begin by screening newly admitted patients in the TNICU and floor over the electronic system, then I would follow my co-ordinator to the ICU and do a second screening by looking at the written records. Then we would discuss the possibilities of being potential participants. Later, I would have various different tasks at hand like approaching a patient for study participation, follow-up in a clinic, telephone follow-up. I also attended didactic sessions and rounds. I would prioritize among the tasks and get them done on a prepared schedule of my own. My co-ordinator and coworkers were very supportive and helpful. They made my stay very comfortable.
Helping people helping people
Clinical Application Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Provided specialized consultative and technical expertise with respect to installing, tuning, upgrading, and maintaining information systems. Liaise and communicate with vendors, end-users and management.Provided on­ going day-to-day user support for existing HIS software applications. Participate in and attend staff and professional meetings.
Learned to organised tasks, projects, and meeting through time management.
Management is understaffed and over worked.
Worked with mature and skilled co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is to organise the between daily tasks, projects, operational application issues and staff meetings.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to resolve system issues that help the end-user to complete their task at hand.
Pros
the ability to help others resolve system issues/problems
Cons
too many staff meetings.
Productive and Friendly Environment
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
During a regular day I would be expected to be at the clinic at 10am. I would go to my desk and begin looking at my calendar for the day. If we had scheduled patients coming in, I would go to the kitchen and prepare their breakfast. I would greed them once they arrive and take some physical examinations as well as blood and ECG tests. Then they would eat the breakfast I provided them and hang around for a couple of hours so we could repeat the examinations every 1/2 hr.
Once the patients would leave I would head back to my desk and work at the computer for the remainder of the day. Either working on upcoming research proposals or preparing spreadsheets for the next scheduled patients.

This experience allowed me to apply what I learned in a classroom setting to a more applied situation. As well to interact with patients of diabetes type II on a personal basis and learn about their lives in coping with this disease. As a result, this experience became more than a research project for me. It became a personal goal to want to help those patients and try my best to take the most accurate measurements and to be as precise as possible such that the project would truly reflect the actual benefits of Salba and Korean White Gingseng.

Furthermore, working with such a great team allowed me to take lessons from different roles. Some days I would work as a leader, taking charge of the tasks ahead. While other days, I would work under the project manager, doing what she saw to be best. At this facility we had many volunteers that would only be there for a couple of days. This allowed me
  more... to learn to work with co-workers that I knew nothing about and cope with each of their personalities in a professional setting.

The hardest part about this job was during the recruitment stage. I had the role of calling previous patients and see if they were fit for an upcoming project via an inclusion/exclusion survey. It would be difficult to hear someone in need of something potentially helpful that we were offering but not be able to include them in the project due to health complications or age exclusion criterion.

the most enjoyable part of my job at St. Michael's Hospital was at the end of the conducted studies when the results were obtained and ready to present to the staff. We would gather around the project manager's desk while she opened the file that we had been working on. Looking at the presented results that created a smile on everybody's face. This had such a large impact on me not because we had proven that the tested product has proven beneficial. But because this was a representation of the hard work of our laboratory as a team. It was a reminder that we had in the last several months we had helped the patients who had been consuming this product. And if was a reminder that one day in the future we can help more patients receive the benefits that we were all starring at.
I loved working in a hospital environment with compassionate people.
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
A typical day at work would be to retrieve the daily charts from emergency department, code and enter them for submission to MOHLTC. I learned billing, because I was trained on the job. Management was great and I really enjoyed a team oriented workplace with managers and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was possibly the month end reconciliations, but I became accustomed to that. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I got from helping patients, for instance filling out Physician's First Reports and helping them at a time they most needed help, when injured.
Pros
christmas bonus's
Cons
sometimes solitary work enviroment
Fair
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Lots of learning opportunities, collaboration with other employees or staff. Learning to associate with diverse group of patients.
Pros
Good learning opportunity
Cons
Job security- Research (depends on available funding)
I had fun working at St. Michael's although it's just a 1 yr. contract
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2013
I had a routine kind of work at St. Michael's hospital. Collecting and processing all OR postcases is hard work but a learning tool to enhance your knowledge in medical terms. I have no problem or issues with the management and likewise with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when reconciliation of the report needs to be done and some important information were unable to provide. I enjoyed my job because i was able to learn or know certain operating procedure done in each cases that i processed. I was able to ponder my knowledge on how a certain illness be able to resolve through surgery.
Pros
transportation allowance
Cons
extra hours spent not paid
St. Mikes is a reputable organization which values respect and innovation.
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2014
My typical day involves consenting patients for research participation and upon obtaining consent, I schedule appointments for study procedures for consented patients. I abstract study related data of consented patients from the hospital database. I regularly update enrolment and consented patients' logs so as to have a sense of the real-time status of each of the study patients.

The opportunity to coordinate study procedures have greatly improved my organizational skills. My collaboration with other research personnel and other hospital staff has further refined my interpersonal relations. Furthermore, the privilege of consenting study patients have help to shore up my emotional intelligence.
Toxic work environment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2014
The worst work experience I have ever had. Dishonest, evil management in Medical Imaging Department, toxic environment, where people are harassed and emotionally abused by management without any liability. Work culture: Mobbing, bullying of targeted employees by management is encouraged by Human Resources. Hard work, experience, knowledge are not valued. There is no room for decency and integrity in this department.

4.3