St. Mary's General Hospital Employee Reviews

Good place to work not much opportunity for advancement
Cardiac Surgery Coordinator Asst (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 January 2017
good place to work on a day to day basis. Not much opportunity for advancement. The staff are great overall to work with on a day to day basis. Salary is great
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 September 2016
St. Mary's is an older hospital that has serviced the Kichener area for many years. Staff are fantastic and the Hospital has recently been renovated. It is smaller but does not lack in comparison to Grand River. The location is on the bus route and close to the downtown core of the city making it very accessible for patients.
Pros
Easily accessible
Cons
Very limited parking
er billing clerk
cc clerk day alocator and minor treatment (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 August 2016
i loved this position. i left it to go to another department whiich lookking back i never should have done. if i could get a job doing that job in that department, i would finally start feeling normal again.
i have officially retired but if this job was ever offerred to me, i would accept in a heartbeat.
Switchboard Operator
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 May 2016
Excellent hospital, super team players, staff are happy and seem to enjoy their work.
I have learned a lot about cardiac care and hospital procedures as well as all the cogs in the wheel that make everything work. I enjoy talking to the patients and helping them with finding loved ones or directing them to where they have appointments.
The management here are wonderful, thoughtful and easy to speak with. My co-workers are wonderful, everyone is cherry and helpful and we get the job done no matter how busy the day or evening is.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the sense of community with the staff and the patients, we are all compassionate individuals with our willingness to make others feel welcome. The hardest part for me is when a loved one passes away and their family are passing by often after hours and are grieving, my thoughts and prayers are with them.
Pros
Great staff and management
Cons
No enough hours as a part time employee
fun volunteer leadership
summer internship (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2016
a typical day at work is fantastic in the month internship i performed to get my required hours for highschool. The day starts off with friendly greetings from al the staff, and you don't really feel like you are actually performing a job. as for management, i never had communication with management at the hospital.)
Pros
free lunches
Time being at St. Mary's General Hospital
Hospital Elder Life Program (H.E.L.P) Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2016
Staffs and volunteers are great, everyone are very nice and helpful. Staffs are very knowledgable people, they know that they are doing and very kind individuals. Very flexible with student hours for volunteering. Lots of volunteer opportunities in verity departments for students to learn and gain new insights.
Harmonious relationship with co workers makes my day at work lighter being able to smile and let other s smile feels good and gives a positive image.
Part-Time Laboratory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 November 2015
A typical day at work is productive especially doing the work i was trained to do. Learning to deal with various types of people, how to cope with a hectic busy day is a professional satisfaction and fulfillment.
The hardest part of the job is lack of hours versus accommodating lots of work.
While the most enjoyable part of the job is handling tough queries from co workers and being able to accommodate them in spite of a hectic day.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 July 2015
Volunteer
collected my 40 Volunteer hours
Great management, meet a lot of people made new friends
enjoyed working and learning new things. I learned how people are all not just the same but all need the love support from family's and friends
Pros
meet a lot of new people
Cons
long breaks
Amazing workplace
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 June 2014
Interviewing potential volunteers, coordinating events, placing current volunteers in departments, checking references.
Busy Work Place
Communications Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener9 April 2014
Busy Ward environment. Deal with patients coming back post operatively from surgeries. Answering phones, booking transportation to and from facilities for long term care bed. Transcribing doctor orders. Work with a large amount of health care professionals. Very knowledgable with medical terminology and the medi-tech system.
Pros
People are friendly
Cons
Staffing is a big issue on weekends
Na
Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 August 2013
Moderate patient workload, can get busy on off shift.
Friendly co-workers
No guaranteed hours for part-timers
Great Atmosphere with amazing people
Operating Room Comminucation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 June 2013
I feel like SMGH is a great place to work. Not only is everyone always smiling but the environment is clean and safe.

SMGH always strives to be the safest hospital in Canada and we do a pretty good job at that.

I would recommend SMGH to anyone looking for a job but even if they need to go through as a patient.

I hope to continue working at SMGH for as long as I can.
Typical Day At work
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 August 2012
Very rewarding
Friendly staff
great Atmosphere
Tim hortons is in the building
Pros
staff events
Cons
dealing with death of patients