Working as part of the Business Development Team, this is a generalist role with a small, hands-on, dynamic team that will see you involved in all areas of Franchise, Real Estate, Construction and Legal portfolio management. You will have the opportunity to work on real estate strategy, acquisitions, dispositions and all matters related to franchise, lease and construction administration.
- Provide support to the Business Development Team, assisting with negotiation of real estate deals from inception to completion, including Letters of Intent, Offers to Lease, Leases, construction contracts and municipal building and licensing requirements;
- Act as a project lead responsible for tracking, inputting, maintaining and updating all relevant information, status reports and timelines for assigned real estate construction files;
- Assist in marketing and advertising programs including, researching local market conditions and trends independently and/or with commercial real estate agents to identify potential site opportunities and make recommendations;
- Research local municipal (building, health, fire, zoning, etc.) codes and regulations for selected markets and active construction projects and make recommendations to the Business Development Team concerning the marketing, leasing, operations, and risk management profiles of properties;
- Review, interpret and input lease information into the company’s property management system to ensure integrity of lease information for various users across the organization;
- Administer tenant leases with respect to fiscal, operational, and other lease terms, and establish and maintain a professional working relationship with all tenants, landlords and property managers within the portfolio - both existing and new tenants;
- Coordinate and supervise Landlord’s premises improvement projects, as necessary, and ensure they administered according to leases;
- Ensure payment of tenant improvement allowances are accurate and accord with progress payment schedules and lease terms;
- Prepare regular presentations as required;
- Review operating costs and realty tax claims submitted by Landlords, advise Landlords of unreasonable increases of admissible costs and seek explanations with back-up to support requested increases, and advise Landlords of disallowed costs under Leases, as required;
- Escalate questionable operating costs and Landlord claims to Business Development Team and General Counsel for review and resolution;
- Assist Business Development Team with any lease matters, construction and special projects as they arise.
- Minimum of two (2) years of commercial real estate or property management experience from a leading law firm or major real estate player including lease negotiations/ documentation/administration, budget preparation/financial reporting, familiarity with municipal by-law applications and licensing, construction contracts and lien claims;
- Ability to analyze and interpret legal documents (lease documents, reconciliations, claims of lien, etc.) and government regulations.
- Ability to produce well-written reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior management, clients/tenants, landlords, peers and the general public;
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal, and communication (both oral and written) skills;
- Broad knowledge of commercial real estate, specifically leasing and accounting;
- Broad knowledge of construction lien and municipal by-law requirements;
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to drive process improvements and manage projects;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently with little supervision;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet stringent timelines, prioritize work relative to business context, and handle multiple demands simultaneously
- Computer literate, with advanced skills in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).